Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

"There is no problem with my discipline or attitude" : Umar Akmal

A string of low scores in the 2015 World Cup and also some accusations regarding his attitude saw Umar Akmal being excluded from Pakistan's squad for the tour of Bangladesh and also cast some doubt over his abilities to perform consistently at the international level. Twenty-four year Akmal has had to face criticism throughout his career and to many, an ODI record of 111 matches which have yielded 2913 runs at an average of 34.67 does not do justice to his talent.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Akmal spoke about his disappointment at his performances during the 2015 World Cup, responded to reports of issues between him and members of the coaching staff, his inability to cement a place in the Pakistan side despite numerous opportunities and also looked forward to the possibility of playing in front of home crowds during the series against Zimbabwe.

PakPassion.net : 164 runs in seven innings at an average of 27.33. How would you rate your performance at the World Cup?

Umar Akmal : Firstly I feel honoured that I was selected for the Pakistan squad for the World Cup, but on the other hand, yes I'm disappointed that I could not perform as well as I did in the 2011 World Cup, despite trying my best and giving my all.

PakPassion.net : Why do you feel your performances weren't great at the World Cup?

Umar Akmal : My form was fine, I was hitting the ball well and out of the middle of the bat, but I guess it was down to bad luck. Grant Flower and Shahid Aslam had really made me feel confident, my preparation went well ahead of the tournament and I was feeling good at the crease during the tournament, striking the ball well, but I just kept on picking out the fielders.

PakPassion.net : During the World Cup, there were reports that the fielding coach Grant Luden had threatened to resign following misconduct by three players, including yourself. Can you elaborate on what happened?

Umar Akmal : Hand on heart, I have never had any issues such as this with anyone. I have never had any disagreements with team mates, management or coaching staff. Whatever Grant Luden wanted me to do when it came to wicket-keeping practice or fielding practice, I just did it. I have no idea why I was mentioned in those reports about Luden and I would urge people to ask him about my attitude and efforts during the World Cup and he will confirm that there were no issues at all from my side.

PakPassion.net : In a recent interview Kamran Akmal suggested that you were being made a scapegoat whenever Pakistan perform badly. Do you agree with what Kamran said?

Umar Akmal : The decision to drop me after the World Cup was of course one taken by the selection committee. They are the ones who should be asked why I was dropped as they seem to have all the answers. I agree that I did not perform up to expectations at the World Cup but I still managed to score a fifty and make some runs in tough conditions and at difficult times. I would suggest the selectors and the head coach are asked this question as they will have the answers.

PakPassion.net : Is it not accurate that you were actually dropped for alleged breaches of discipline and having a poor attitude as stated in Waqar Younis' World Cup report which was submitted to the PCB?

Umar Akmal : I don't understand where this part about attitude has come into the equation. I have never shown anyone any attitude and I have always tried to focus on my cricket right from the start of my playing days. It's really disappointing that even if Waqar Younis for some reason or another did mention something about my attitude in his report then that should not have been leaked and brought into the public domain. I believe there is no problem with my discipline or attitude and never has been.

PakPassion.net : Haroon Rasheed, the new Chief Selector has also pinpointed the fact that the attitude of some players was the reason why they were dropped. Surely he cannot be making that up too?

Umar Akmal : I can only talk about myself and not other players. There was no issue at the World Cup regarding attitude or indiscipline from myself. I've played cricket all over the world under many different coaches and there have never been any issues with my discipline. It's heartbreaking to read such stories and it's very confusing for me as I have never been involved in such unprofessional issues.

PakPassion.net : Was there any disagreement between you and Waqar Younis during the World Cup?

Umar Akmal : I've not had any disagreement with Waqar Younis or anyone else during my cricket career in any part of the world. Whatever role I have been given and for whatever team, I have always tried to give my all and to perform to the best of my ability. You have good and bad days in cricket and that cannot be attributed to a poor attitude.

PakPassion.net : What are your thoughts on the coaching methods of Waqar Younis and his colleagues since he has taken over as head coach?

Umar Akmal : Every coach has his own methods and strengths and weaknesses. At the end of the day we were all trying our best individually and collectively to ensure Pakistan performed well prior to and during the World Cup.

PakPassion.net : Your critics say that despite playing 186 times for Pakistan you are still making the same mistakes when batting and playing the same reckless shots. How would you respond to that criticism?

Umar Akmal : I have done the best I could and despite the position I have been batting in for large parts of my career. I feel that I have performed as well as I could especially as many times when I go out to bat, there are only a few overs left and I have to take a lot of risks and score very quickly almost right from ball one. I could have been selfish and finished with a few more not outs, but that's not the way I am. I'm a team player and will not sacrifice the team's interests for my own. If you want to look at statistics then yes my batting statistics could have been better if I had played selfishly and also if I had been given a chance higher up the order.

Whenever I have been given the opportunity to bat up the order, more often than not I have performed. Obviously you cannot make runs every time, but I feel that my better performances have come when the coach and captain and senior players have shown faith in me and given me a chance to bat up the order rather than at number six. I think that if I had batted at number four or five on a regular basis for Pakistan then my performances would have been more consistent and of a higher standard.

PakPassion.net : Has anyone from the team management spoken with you about what areas of your game you need to improve upon?

Umar Akmal : Not at the moment they haven't. I'm simply focusing on playing club cricket for Model Town cricket club and I'm enjoying my cricket there. I've made a lot of runs in the last few matches and have enjoyed being back to where I have learnt a lot of my cricket. I have also performed reasonably well in the recently concluded Super 8 Twenty20 tournament and will also be playing some County cricket in England with Leicestershire so that should be exciting too. In addition I might be playing in the Caribbean Premier League later this year so that is another exciting opportunity to look forward to. I hope that by playing club cricket, domestic cricket and some cricket overseas I can get my confidence back and perform well for Pakistan.

PakPassion.net : Do you think you struggle to cope with pressure and expectations?

Umar Akmal : No I don't think so. If I put myself under pressure and worry too much about whether the selectors are watching me or not, or the levels of expectations, then I will never be able to perform. The selectors know what I am capable of as do the fans and media. I just need to relax and perform and enjoy playing cricket rather than going out there and thinking that I have a point to prove every time I go out there and bat.

PakPassion.net : Some would say that you are fortunate to have been recalled to the Pakistan squad so quickly after the World Cup?

Umar Akmal : I disagree, I think I have been picked on merit. I went back to club cricket and performed well there and I was also one of the top scorers during the Super 8 Twenty20 tournament in Faisalabad and showed the selectors that I am in good form and can score runs when given the opportunity to. I’m hoping that I can carry my good recent form in domestic cricket into the Zimbabwe series.

PakPassion.net : What type of coach can get the best out of Umar Akmal?

Umar Akmal : I've been fortunate enough to have worked with some great coaches over the years. Aamir Malik was an excellent coach as was Aamir Sohail. I also enjoyed working with Mudassar Nazar, Aaqib Javed, Mohtashim Rasheed, Shahid Aslam, Ijaz Ahmed, Mohsin Kamal and Mansoor Rana. They have all at times worked with me and I have benefited in different ways from what they have told me, from their guidance and also their cricketing knowledge and experience. What I really enjoyed about when working with the aforementioned coaches is that they didn't try to change me as a cricketer and just told me to go out there and perform, instead of trying to overhaul my technique and approach and above all they really backed me.

PakPassion.net : Do you think it's difficult for someone like Grant Flower to understand the Pakistani cricketing culture and be able to get the Pakistani batsmen to appreciate what he is trying to implement?

Umar Akmal : No I don't think so. He's a professional coach who has been hired by the PCB and he understands the mentality of the Pakistani players. I think he's enjoying working with the Pakistani cricketers and I've enjoyed working with him too. He's a big name, yet he's very humble and friendly with the players and there is no arrogance at all from him. I think he's a good coach and someone the players have enjoyed working with.

PakPassion.net : What now for you? Are we ever going to see you fulfil the talent you obviously possess or are we just going to have to accept that consistency and shot selection are not your strengths?

Umar Akmal : I'm very grateful to everyone who has supported me over the years. I have always tried my best for whichever team I have played for. I have done my best according to my batting position and when I have been sent into bat. I admit sometimes I have clicked and at other times I've not, but that is not due to a careless attitude or not caring. I love playing cricket, it's my passion and life and I will walk away from the game the day I do not enjoy playing any more.

My aim now is to regain my place in the Pakistan team and this time not to lose my place. I want to add consistency to my batting and I promise my fans and supporters that whenever I come back for Pakistan you will see a different, more responsible and a better version of me.

PakPassion.net : If you play against Zimbabwe it will be the first time you have played international cricket in Pakistan. What will that mean to you?

Umar Akmal : It will be an amazing feeling, it would mean so much to me. Cricketers around the world take playing at home in front of their own crowds for granted. But unfortunately many of us Pakistani cricketers have never been able to play in our own conditions and in front of the Pakistani public, which is really tough. I know the people of Pakistan are really looking forward to the return of international cricket to Pakistan and so are the players. I can’t wait to hopefully walk out in front of the Lahore crowd wearing the green of Pakistan, I’m sure it will be a special feeling if I am selected. I thank the Zimbabwe team for embarking on this tour and hope it’s the start of international cricket returning permanently to Pakistan.
    Last edited by Saj; 19th May 2015 at 23:45.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    "Umar Akmal : My form was fine, I was hitting the ball well and out of the middle of the bat, but I guess it was down to bad luck"

When you say that then you are not working on your mistakes.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Venue
    Ayub Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little by little, Umar is maturing.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Interesting interview Akmal with a couple of indirect uppercuts directed at various individuals

I don't think there is an issue with his discipline although his attitude could improve a little; people also need to understand is that for all his talent he is very limited when it comes to shot selection.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    PakPassion.net : Your critics say that despite playing 186 times for Pakistan you are still making the same mistakes when batting and playing the same reckless shots. How would you respond to that criticism?

Umar Akmal : I have done the best I could and despite the position I have been batting in for large parts of my career. I feel that I have performed as well as I could especially as many times when I go out to bat, there are only a few overs left and I have to take a lot of risks and score very quickly almost right from ball one. I could have been selfish and finished with a few more not outs, but that's not the way I am. I'm a team player and will not sacrifice the team's interests for my own. If you want to look at statistics then yes my batting statistics could have been better if I had played selfishly and also if I had been given a chance higher up the order.
    Stop Umar. Just stop. We're not in 2009, or 2010, or 2011, or even 2012 any longer.

It's freaking 2015. How many times will we here this excuse?

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Just shows he's learned absolutely nothing.

Excuse after excuse

- I could've been selfish and got not out
    - I didnt bat where I wanted
    - I came in with only a couple overs left
    - I hit the middle of the bat but was just unlucky
    - I've performed as well as I feel I could.

What a shame for Pakistan.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We reward this attitude with another selection!?!??!

He's just as bad with Shehzad, never taking responsibility or acknowledging that he's ever underperformed DUE TO HIS OWN FAILINGS.

Why do we have such idiots on our team?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Umar should accept with open mind and heart that he has lacked batting discipline quite a lot of times and otherwise too he has had discipline issues on and off the field.
    I am his fan. For me he has not achieved as per his potential and especially his fast test century and first Odi century was amazing and one of the best skill sets were televised.
    He needs to sort out his brain . He needs a good sports psycologist needs to have sessions with him the way David Warner had and he improved a lot .
    I believe umar should bat at number 4 permanently . He is a talent . I wish and pray he plays sensibly and plays more ground shots less aerial shots still he will score at a sr between 80 to 150 mostly 95+

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post
    Stop Umar. Just stop. We're not in 2009, or 2010, or 2011, or even 2012 any longer.

the worrying part is that he def hasn't been coming in with a few overs left. So how is he coming to this conclusion

usually our top 3-4 ensure that he is in fairly early

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if these reports get leaked they should be published in full otherwise they are just backbiting and character assassination with no right of reply for the victim

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attitude does not necessarily mean getting into arguments. It could be his attitude on working on his batting or the game. Maybe he's just lazy and takes his position for granted

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Excuses Excuses

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    PakPassion.net : What are your thoughts on the coaching methods of Waqar Younis and his colleagues since he has taken over as head coach?

Umar Akmal : Every coach has his own methods and strengths and weaknesses. At the end of the day we were all trying our best individually and collectively to ensure Pakistan performed well prior to and during the World Cup.
    That doesn't sound like the biggest vote of confidence

As I said before, the best thing for Umar Akmal now is to get a year of domestic cricket under his belt, make the most out of his county stint and regain form. Then he can return to the national team with a clean slate.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the problem with Umer Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad. They seriously believe that there is nothing wrong with them. If you don't accept that you have a problem, you are never going to work on fixing it.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lol. This is amazing. The sentence in the thread title is just confirming what he is denying

Quote Originally Posted by La Haine movie
    Jusqu'ici tout va bien. L'important nest pas la chute, cest latterrissage.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i would ask saj, why you are interviewing him. he got kicked out bcz of discipline and poor play, yet he is denying all allegations. only he is right , everyone else was wrong about him.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babu View Post
    well, i would ask saj, why you are interviewing him. he got kicked out bcz of discipline and poor play, yet he is denying all allegations. only he is right , everyone else was wrong about him.
    Because he's a cricketer........and that's what we do on PakPassion.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Does he realize that talking about this is itself a disciplinary issue

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    Unfortunately, Umar Akmal suffers from an extremely rare condition, known as Umaritis.

Its still not sure how this disease was contracted, but exposure from an early age to reckless batting may have been the cause.

Its not a very debilitating disease unless of course you pursue a cricketing career.

Symptoms include

- Periodical rushes of blood to the frontal lobe of the brain
    - Dementia
    - Phobia of keeping
    - Drowsiness
    - Lack of common sense
    - An obsession with the number 3

Confined solely to the Akmal household, this condition has invoked the awe and rage of subcontinental cricket fans, as all attempts to study and monitor the condition have failed.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    he is still not learning and giving excuses,,, he will not say that he wanted to bat at no.3, because he knows he cant bat there and even on his prime form he was reluctant to bat at no.3 when asked by the captain moyo, and umar didnot bat at no.3.. if he had batted there he wouldnt have scored a 30 , why because at no.3 with the early pressure and runrate he will not last for more than 15 balls..
    Last edited by ask_analyse_act; 20th May 2015 at 02:32.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Irony of some of the statements were clearly lost on Umar

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    969 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Who conducted the interview?

164 runs in seven innings at an average of 27.33. How would you rate your performance at the World Cup?
    Why do you feel your performances weren't great at the World Cup?
    During the World Cup, there were reports that the fielding coach Grant Luden had threatened to resign following misconduct by three players, including yourself. Can you elaborate on what happened?
    Is it not accurate that you were actually dropped for alleged breaches of discipline and having a poor attitude as stated in Waqar Younis' World Cup report which was submitted to the PCB?
    Haroon Rasheed, the new Chief Selector has also pinpointed the fact that the attitude of some players was the reason why they were dropped. Surely he cannot be making that up too?

Relentless.

Thug life.

As for his interview, his answer says all that needs to be said about him.

Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, it would have been wise to turn down this interview. At the same time some of the questions have been quite bold (which is good). He really should have played a straight bat to some of these questions. But then again, shot selection was never his strength.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I remember in the WC 2015, I think it was in the Ireland or Australia match, the commentator said that the Coaching Department and Staff were not impressed in Umar for talking to the media and showing "attitude" there.

All in all, I think Umar needs to carry on practicing and playing in FC Cricket. Needs to be alongside a good cricketing brain as he always throws his wicket away after hitting some nice shots.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    "Mistakes are always forgiveable, if one has the courage to admit them".
    - Bruce Lee

Oh and I thought this was apt too

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting".
    - Buddha
    Last edited by Sherlock; 20th May 2015 at 03:31.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    SW Uk
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s28 View Post
    if these reports get leaked they should be published in full otherwise they are just backbiting and character assassination with no right of reply for the victim
    I agree.. hearsay has is a big part of our culture.. im wondering if the leaking of waqars report is a way of minpulating player selection.... half the stuff that goes on behind closed doors we no nothing about but the rummer mill starts chugging away. You are chukki peessing and peessing and peessing. U kno. I cant see pakistan cricket as a world domminatig force in my life time. I mean its taken us 60yrs and we still cant rid our nation of the corruption that feeds us.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    - Bruce Lee

Oh and I thought this was apt too

- Buddha
    Here's another great one.

"I always come out to bat with a few overs left".
    Umar Akmal - every year since 2009.

"You come at the King. You best not miss."

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on umar. U will bat at 3 or 4 in the t20s. No excuses

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I can't see him changing.

I've given up on him.

Without Pakistan we have nothing....

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Its such a shame

5 yrs ago I thought that Shehzad, Jamshed and Akmal would make a devastating group of batsman who will take us forward for a decade atleast

all of them seems to have lost the plot

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Very hard hitting interview I must say, and very professionally done

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    the worrying part is that he def hasn't been coming in with a few overs left. So how is he coming to this conclusion

usually our top 3-4 ensure that he is in fairly early
    Why should he stop? It might be 2015 but Pakistan is still making the same mistakes again and again and again. Look I am no blind fan who can't see a players faults - I KNOW Umer has thrown away countless opportunities. But has he been given a fair run EVER at the top of the order? No he has not.

In 100 games for Pakistan, he has batted at 3 just once. He has batted at 4 just five times. Those are truly shocking stats. Why has that happened? Because whilst the rest of the world has moved on and realised the modern game is NOT played by tuck tucking your way to over 35, Pakistan is STILL stuck in this mentality. Even after the World Cup where our strategy was shown to be useless, we still stick to it. It makes me so, so angry.

If AB De Villers or Kevin Pieterson or David Warner were Pakistani, I would guarantee that they would all bat at 6, to give us firepower down the order. They wouldn't be half the players there are today.

And if you think we'll surely Pakistan have learned a lesson, think again. Maqsood came into the team, played a few beautiful knocks at 3 and was shafted down the order to add this so called lower order firepower!

Slog's post is everything that is wrong with Pakistani cricket - "I don't know what Umer's complaining about, he comes in when 3 wickets have fallen for not many runs so gets to bat for long periods"! Does it take a rocket scientist to conclude that if Umer has regularly been coming in at 3/4 down with hardly any runs, perhaps he shouldn't be coming in at 3/4 down?!!!

As for plenty of overs to bat, well usually we tuk tuk our way to 130 off 35 overs for 4 wickets and then Umer has 15 overs to bat. In those 15 overs, he is expected to take the score to 270. And then we complain when he gets out playing a rash shot. Ridiculous.
    Last edited by Usman; 20th May 2015 at 05:46.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    Why should he stop? It might be 2015 but Pakistan is still making the same mistakes again and again and again. Look I am no blind fan who can't see a players faults - I KNOW Umer has thrown away countless opportunities. But has he been given a fair run EVER at the top of the order? No he has not.

In 100 games for Pakistan, he has batted at 3 just once. He has batted at 4 just five times. Those are truly shocking stats. Why has that happened? Because whilst the rest of the world has moved on and realised the modern game is NOT played by tuck tucking your way to over 35, Pakistan is STILL stuck in this mentality. Even after the World Cup where our strategy was shown to be useless, we still stick to it. It makes me so, so angry.

If AB De Villers or Kevin Pieterson or David Warner were Pakistani, I would guarantee that they would all bat at 6, to give us firepower down the order. They wouldn't be half the players there are today.

And if you think we'll surely Pakistan have learned a lesson, think again. Maqsood came into the team, played a few beautiful knocks at 3 and was shafted down the order to add this so called lower order firepower!

Slog's post is everything that is wrong with Pakistani cricket - "I don't know what Umer's complaining about, he comes in when 3 wickets have fallen for not many runs so gets to bat for long periods"! Does it take a rocket scientist to conclude that if Umer has regularly been coming in at 3/4 down with hardly any runs, perhaps he shouldn't be coming in at 3/4 down?!!!

As for plenty of overs to bat, well usually we tuk tuk our way to 130 off 35 overs for 4 wickets and then Umer has 15 overs to bat. In those 15 overs, he is expected to take the score to 270. And then we complain when he gets out playing a rash shot. Ridiculous.
    my point is that his complaint here and even in the world cup is not that he comes so low down

but the complaint is that he gets too few overs to bat which is not the truth

due to our collapses he had regularly been coming with 20+ overs to spare

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Cozzie View Post
    Just shows he's learned absolutely nothing.

Excuse after excuse

- I could've been selfish and got not out
    - I didnt bat where I wanted
    - I came in with only a couple overs left
    - I hit the middle of the bat but was just unlucky
    - I've performed as well as I feel I could.

What a shame for Pakistan.
    Sums up his characteristics.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unsurprisingly, another player completely denies the ridiculous reports that Waqar sent to the PCB. This and together with Shehzad's inclusion in the t20's suggests there was no "attitude" problem to begin with. As I strongly suspected, the Grant Luden fiasco during the WC was also bogus according to Akmal...

Who to believe?

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I think Umar Akmal is misinterpreting the meaning of 'discipline' issues.

I truly feel Waqar felt he is another Afridi who doesn't listen and implement what the coach is telling him on the field. He continually has brain farts. This is indiscipline of its own kind.

Just look at his answers for proof as he's not willing to take responsibility for his own failures. If a coach tells you to play a certain way and be patient, but you go out and start playing like Afridi, you are being indisciplined and becoming a problem.

I feel too many people (fans and the players) consider discipline issues as not practising or mouthing off to the coach. There is a lot more to indiscipline and I blame the coaches for this to who clearly haven't sat down and talked with these players about what they meant. You can't send a player like Umar Akmal back to domestic cricket without explaining to him why he was dropped.

Now, Umar Akmal is going to come back confused and will once again start practising hard and 'listening' to the coaches only to go out in the middle and play another rash shot causing Waqar to pull out his hair again.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And thats why I think he shouldn't be recalled back to national team as yet.

Calling him so early when he still is in denial mode, kills the purpose of dropping him at first place.

Let him suffer a bit so that he can realize his mistakes.

At the moment, he has absolutely learnt nothing.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nothing has changed. Blaming luck , batting position and others.

He will remain a mediocre cricketer.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This interview may well put him in trouble once again , he probably will be issued a show cause notice by the PCB.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potw

Excellent and intelligent work.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Casablanca
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hope he gets a chance to bat at 3 or 4.. Then we shall see how he goes! I don't have any hopes from him even at 3 or 4 by the way! If only I will bring him into the team, it will be as an opener!

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ry/878763.html

Umar Akmal*has said he is excited to play for Pakistan in front of his home crowd for the first time in his career, and is overjoyed that international cricket is returning to his country with the Zimbabwe series. Akmal made his*international debut*in August 2009, but no Full Member nation has toured Pakistan since the terrorist attacks on the Sri Lanka team bus in March 2009. Zimbabwe will play two T20Is and three ODIs in Lahore beginning on May 22.

"It will be an amazing feeling, it would mean so much to me. Cricketers around the world take playing at home in front of their own crowds for granted," Akmal told*PakPassion. "But unfortunately many of us Pakistani cricketers have never been able to play in our own conditions which is really tough. I know the people of Pakistan are really looking forward to the return of international cricket to Pakistan and so are the players. I can't wait to hopefully walk out in front of the Lahore crowd if I am selected. I thank the Zimbabwe team for embarking on this tour and hope it's the start of international cricket returning permanently to Pakistan."

Akmal was recalled to the Pakistan T20 squad after he was left out for the tour to Bangladesh. He made scores of 35, 1, 95 not out and 85 not out in four innings in the recently concluded Super8 T20 Cup for Lahore Lions. "I went back to club cricket and performed well there and I was also one of the top-scorers during the Super8 tournament in Faisalabad and showed the selectors that I am in good form and can score runs when given the opportunity. I'm hoping that I can carry my good form into the Zimbabwe series."

Reports of disciplinary issues coupled with a poor World Cup - where he scored 164 runs in seven games at an average of 27.33 - resulted in him not being selected for the tour to Bangladesh. Akmal said that batting down the order had affected his returns.

"I have done the best I could despite the position I have been batting in for large parts of my career. I could have been selfish and finished with a few more not outs, but that's not the way I am. I'm a team player and will not sacrifice the team's interests for my own. Obviously you cannot make runs every time, but I feel my better performances have come when the management have shown faith in me and given me a chance to bat up the order."

Without Pakistan we have nothing....

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Venue
    No man's land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As expected, he just don't want to talk blame for his failures.

Totally refuse to accept his weakness and try to work on them to improve. But, wait a minute, this is the problem with most of our players, isn't it?

Ahmed is no different and same goes for so called 'Professor'. I still remember Hafeez said, "There is nothing wrong with my technique, and I'm just having bad patch".

Here go you. This is the culture of our national team, so I'm not amaze to see what Umar said here.

He's sense less person. However, what he said about batting position is also true, unfortunately (he's not given consistent opportunities at #3 and 4).

If he plays again for national team, then I hope, he gets his wish come true of 'playing at No.3 or 4'. Then he'll have absolutely no excuse left.

However, I don't think he has great future.
    Last edited by GLORY OF '92; 20th May 2015 at 22:54.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    It won't be a disciplinary issue.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Very hard hitting interview I must say, and very professionally done
    Thank you.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Who conducted the interview?
    I conducted the interview.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    This interview may well put him in trouble once again , he probably will be issued a show cause notice by the PCB.
    No he won't

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Good interview and I hope he returns to form, starting with the Zimbabwe series.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Venue
    No man's land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious @Saj, what are your thoughts about him, going forward.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    PakPassion.net : What now for you? Are we ever going to see you fulfil the talent you obviously possess or are we just going to have to accept that consistency and shot selection are not your strengths?

Umar Akmal : I'm very grateful to everyone who has supported me over the years. I have always tried my best for whichever team I have played for. I have done my best according to my batting position and when I have been sent into bat. I admit sometimes I have clicked and at other times I've not, but that is not due to a careless attitude or not caring. I love playing cricket, it's my passion and life and I will walk away from the game the day I do not enjoy playing any more.

My aim now is to regain my place in the Pakistan team and this time not to lose my place. I want to add consistency to my batting and I promise my fans and supporters that whenever I come back for Pakistan you will see a different, more responsible and a better version of me.

In this whole article, he has not admitted one single fault, in his discipline or shot selection and then at the end, he promises to be more responsible? You need to learn from mistakes to become a better version of yourself.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well ,I have to say that the questions asked were spot on and none of them were formal. Very well done.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Mumbai/Indianapolis
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genuine question. Will he be much better(for the team) if he bats at number 3 in ODIs for like a year or so?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Venue
    Ayub Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raj-MSDian View Post
    Genuine question. Will he be much better(for the team) if he bats at number 3 in ODIs for like a year or so?
    Yes.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asyed View Post
    Just curious @Saj, what are your thoughts about him, going forward.
    Well as you can probably tell from my questions I've not been impressed with him of late and I don't think he's done himself justice. He needs to sort himself out,not worry about what position he's batting and make sure he bats with more responsibility.

I'm no former Test player but I did say to him that he needs to be a bit more selfish at times when it's possible and his numbers will look a lot better.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is one fantastic interview. Cracking work Saj.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    my point is that his complaint here and even in the world cup is not that he comes so low down

but the complaint is that he gets too few overs to bat which is not the truth

due to our collapses he had regularly been coming with 20+ overs to spare
    You are missing the point. He may come in with 15-20 overs to spare, but the team is usually in a terrible situation needing a 'magic' innings from him. He constantly bats under this pressure of having lots of wickets down, with the team scoring at a low run rate and his role is to blast the team out of a hole. My question to you is simple- instead of sending lesser players like Hafeez or Jamshed up the order, why not send Umer there instead? Sending lesser players just means Umer comes in with more wickets down, less overs left to build an innings and a low run rate which he is tasked to increase. It all adds unnecessary pressure. The reason players like Umer and Maqsood come in so late is because we are stuck in that 90s mentality - save your best players for the slog overs.

I get very irratated when people say Umer is just making an excuse. As I said before, the stats show he has been given virtually no chances in the top 4 ever. That's a fact, not an excuse.

At number 9 in the Odi rankings, you would think a light bulb would have flashed in the PCB think tank. But nope, the team management is happy to continue with their ridiculous strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
    Potw

Excellent and intelligent work.
    Thank you and welcome to PP.

Quote Originally Posted by zabalestmsm View Post
    I hope he gets a chance to bat at 3 or 4.. Then we shall see how he goes! I don't have any hopes from him even at 3 or 4 by the way! If only I will bring him into the team, it will be as an opener!
    I'm not so sure about the openers position because his role in domestic cricket has always been as a middle order batsmen, and I don't see any need to be trying anything outrageous. All I'm asking is that he is allowed to bat at 3 or 4. If he fails like you think he will, fine, we'll deal with it and move on. But I don't agree with you when you make an assumption that he will fail, without ever giving him the chance.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    Ontario,Canada- Malak mala ,Chhachh ,Attock ,pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    with misbah younis gone umar will get his chance up the order lets see what he can do , his attitude and work ethic is fine he just has really poor shot selection saying you were always finding the fielders is dumb why are u playing a shot if there is a fielder there ? Umar is still one of the best bats in Pak same cant be said for ahmed shehzad I think sami aslam and babar azam will go ahead of him same with M.Rizwan

For Breaking news on International and domestic sports follow @pakpassion on twitter

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    812 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayan View Post
    This is one fantastic interview. Cracking work Saj.
    Thanks Shayan.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I conducted the interview.
    Well done Saj. It was a very hard hitting interview indeed and I hope you also do an equally hard hitting interview of Misbah.

I liked the way that you did not just accept his answer, but kept taking a critical stance and kept digging deeper to extract as much information as possible. Too many interviews are full of softball questions or the interviewer lets the interviewee get away without forcing him to actually think about the question that's asked and answer it in a proper way.

if you conduct an interview with Misbah please ask him why still does not accept responsibility for the state of Pakistan cricket in ODI's despite being the captain for past 4+ years. And please dont be satisfied with a single response where he tries to absolve himself from the blame. Please keep digging as you did in this interview.

After the world cup I have seen him whining on TV about everything from selection to team strategy and claiming he did not have authority over the issue. At the end of the day the captain is responsible for the results of the team. I feel Misbah often gets showed way too much respect and therefore people don't dare think critically about his actions. It also does not help when people call him names like a certain fast bowler did, because it just causes his supporters to back him even more and do so even more blindly. However I feel he escapes the blame for his teams failures in ODIs too easily. People excuse his fault like they are nothing and try to come up with reasons as to why he still he great. I want people to be critical. Hopefully you can that.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bad innings, clearly brought back too early

theres no point dropping him if they are going to sucumb to pressure and bring him back after one series
    Last edited by MenInG; 25th May 2015 at 02:42.

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Very good interview. I know it's a few days old, but this is the first time I'm reading it.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday was absolutely an example of why Akmal isn't fit to be selected yet. He plays with absolutely no responsibility. He came in with almost half the innings left and there was no need for him to play rashly. But he played truly horrible shots against mid level bowling and once again couldn't stick it out when we needed him to. Absurd that everyone is still complaining about him batting at 3/4 rather than acknowledging he has to do some work to show we can even trust him in those positions to begin with!

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sialkot
    Runs
    Mentioned
    919 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One can not get problems with things he doesnt have.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Very good interview. I know it's a few days old, but this is the first time I'm reading it.
    Thanks.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    if you conduct an interview with Misbah please ask him why still does not accept responsibility for the state of Pakistan cricket in ODI's despite being the captain for past 4+ years. And please don’t be satisfied with a single response where he tries to absolve himself from the blame. Please keep digging as you did in this interview.
    ok, will do

Well Umar, you still have a lot to do to convince people of this change in attitude and approach.

Ultimately runs on the board will be the determining factor.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really liked reading the interview. A bit of a grilling! Which isn't seen very often in sport!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Really liked reading the interview. A bit of a grilling! Which isn't seen very often in sport!
    lol. I think he needed a grilling. I hope it does the trick

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umar akmal come back thread

I think umar akmal should be given a call back to the national side.

he is a true patriot and we need patriots in the team

it's very unfair, someone who has spot fixed and has been banned for 5 years is allowed to come back yet Umar akmal has been out of the team for minor issues isn't allowed.

it's not really an issue that he brain freezes almost every time he bats, he will learn as time goes on

every star has attitude problems its part of being a star its better if everyone just accepts it

and every popular person is in and out of the news for breaking national laws and attending indecent parties it's part of the star culture, it's a minor issue

the main thing is he is above the team as he is a patriot
    and opposes fixers like amir, we need more patriots in the team than players

please discuss

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was banned for 5 years due to which he is allowed now........

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    lol. I think he needed a grilling. I hope it does the trick
    PCB hasn't helped, they've falsely accused him and now he's pretty angry about it and the media have somehow made into "Umar Akmal doesn't want Amir back".

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Waqar Younis clearly disagrees (going by his leaked report).

Akmal is obviously a highly talented batsmen - it's such a shame he is not maximising his ability due to his off the field behaviour.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    According to Waqar, Akmal was skipping nets sessions to hit the town with Moin Khan.

This is what separates him from talents like Kohli, Williamson, Root. Look at their incredible work ethic. Hours of studying video analysis, hour after hour in the nets working on their technique and improving their fitness.

Akmal however seemingly spends his time taking Twitter selfies of him in a shalwar kameez or eating hailstones.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    From Saj's Twitter

Waqar Younis in his report "Umar Akmal would continuously get Moin Khan to request me for him not to do training practice & to take it easy"

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    According to Waqar, Akmal was skipping nets sessions to hit the town with Moin Khan.

This is what separates him from talents like Kohli, Williamson, Root. Look at their incredible work ethic. Hours of studying video analysis, hour after hour in the nets working on their technique and improving their fitness.

Akmal however seemingly spends his time taking Twitter selfies of him in a shalwar kameez or eating hailstones.
    You forgot 'grapes'.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A big test lies ahead for PCB now, Umar Akmal should be sent to domestic cricket, and should never be selected again until and unless he makes his case strong via strong performances. His discipline and attitude alone makes him ineligible for Pakistan team. Those who still want him in the T20I team, are blind supporters and deserve a cake on their faces.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never a dull day in Pak cricket

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Calgary, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    Waqar Younis clearly disagrees (going by his leaked report).

Akmal is obviously a highly talented batsmen - it's such a shame he is not maximising his ability due to his off the field behaviour.
    It's only Indians that still consider Akmal talented, FACT.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The worrying thing is that he keeps getting mentioned in negative terms by domestic coaches, national coaches, foreign coaches and in reports. As well as off the field incidents that he somehow is involved in.

It can't all be down to bad luck.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The worrying thing is that he keeps getting mentioned in negative terms by domestic coaches, national coaches, foreign coaches and in reports. As well as off the field incidents that he somehow is involved in.
    It can't all be down to bad luck.
    Yah even mudassar nazar talked about his discipline issues at the academy.