Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon.Freeman View Post
    Yeah...may be mushy over-bowled mustafiz 2/3 overs....I wait for the day Taskin and Mustafiz opens the bowling in a test match with Shahid as the 3rd pacer maybe Rubel as the 4th pacer...what an attack that will be with a duke ball in English condition!!!
    Looking at the highlights of today's play zahids seam position is pretty bad. Taskin and especially mustafiz are very good prospects though, and the latter seems to be able to do wonders with his wrist whilst being fairly quick and accurate. He's actually a more similar bowler to wasim in terms of style than amir is.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I havent seen this guy yet, what is he looks like , more of a seamer or a swinger ? can swing/seam it both ways? what is his pace?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His average speed has been hovering around Steyn this test match along with similar fastest speed too. In these conditions its not easy to bowl fast

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon.Freeman View Post
    Yeah...may be mushy over-bowled mustafiz 2/3 overs....I wait for the day Taskin and Mustafiz opens the bowling in a test match with Shahid as the 3rd pacer maybe Rubel as the 4th pacer...what an attack that will be with a duke ball in English condition!!!
    Ban's best possible attack would be

Shahid
    Mustafiz
    Taskin
    Shakib
    Taijul
    Mahmudullah

I feel they should play 3 seamers even in home tests

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    I havent seen this guy yet, what is he looks like , more of a seamer or a swinger ? can swing/seam it both ways? what is his pace?
    Physique is like Amir, couple inches shorter but equally wiry. He did reverse swing the ball a bit. He's an accurate bowler with a terrific yorker. Pace is 135-143.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones that are saying that people will figure out his cutters have obviously not watched him properly. With the new ball he bowls with the seam up, tries to generate pace and swing and has amazing line and length. Great control for his age. The cutters come out with the old ball as a sort of surprise element. Its not like he relies on cutters at all.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In terms of average for the first few games, MR can be compared with Mendis/ Starc..

Some milestones set by Mendis
    1) Averaged in single digits even after 19 ODI games (SR 16.5).
    2) Averaged below 15 till 32 and below 20 till 54 games.

For Starc
    1) Averages 18 after 41 games.

MR right now

6 games Avg 12.61, SR - 17.7

Phenomenal!

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    WoW I thought he bowls in late 120s to early 130s and relies on cutters to get wickets , it looks like he is a proper bowler.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mustafizur and the art of the cutter
    AAKASH CHOPRA
    What makes this innocuous-seeming bowler so difficult to handle?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/904083.html

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Certainly shows that his cutters are effective. But to make a cutter effective, you have to have super discipline. Mustafizur's main weapon is his brain. Smart man who knows what to do when.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and honestly Chopra couldn't really decode him in the article. He is a good analyst otherwise.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Statsman View Post
    Yeah, and honestly Chopra couldn't really decode him in the article. He is a good analyst otherwise.
    one of the more better ones in world cricket. A lot of people were like Mustafiz would be figured out soon enough like Mendis. But there is a difference between Mendis and Mustafiz. Mendis was a spinner who didn't have prodigous spin and a batsman could have played him properly as the deliveries come slowly. But a left-arm pace bowler with his quick arm action bowling at 140kph is difficult to figure out.

With due respect to Mustafiz, the best cutter I have seen in the past few decades was that of McGrath, his cutter would simply turn as much as your average offie and batsman couldn't really play it. Having said that, Mustafiz is getting good purchase for his cutters thanks to the SC pitches but its going to be different overseas. But there, he will get good swing and bounce.

Now the litmus test for him is whether he is able to maintain discipline throughout his career. Bowl good line and length, with the armoury he has he can become one of the best, not able to bowl good lines and length and you will become the next Shahadat Hossain, an inferior version of Ishant Sharma. Ironically Shahadat has 5-fers against SA, England and India, even has his name in lords board

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genuine talent

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another day and another great performance expected from the Grim Reaper.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Statsman View Post
    Another day and another great performance expected from the Grim Reaper.
    I am curious how he is gonna bowl today after quite a break from international cricket. Though he is in form and did well in national cricket league.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    United Arab Emirates
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another 5 wicket haul. Match winner.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great bowling, lol 5 slip fielder in last 10 overs ***

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a talent! Has everything to be the best bowler in the world. Already the best in Asia.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Top top bowler.

Was hoping he would be in same team as M Amir.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Special. I think he tries too much early on and needs to keep it simple. But an ODI bowling attack of Mustafizur, Mashrafe, Rubel, Shakib and Nasir is too good for most teams regardless of conditions.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like he has gained a bit of pace as well. Pity there was no speed gun this series.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    United Arab Emirates
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    Top top bowler.

Was hoping he would be in same team as M Amir.
    Have mercy on other teams.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rubel, Taskin, Shakib, Mustafiz - lethal bowling attack, damn

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 slips

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he is no longer the slow death of Satkhira rather the quick death of Satkhira. The guy can reach 140s Kmph now when he wants.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    United Arab Emirates
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to check how many matches it took pacers to reach 25 wickets as Mustafizur has just crossed 25 wickets in his 9th match.

Among those playing today:
    Wahab Riaz - 14 matches
    Mohammed Irfan - 17 matches
    Anwar Ali - 18 matches
    Woakes - 19 matches

Since Mustafizur looks up to Amir, I checked how many matches it took Amir to reach 25 wickets. Amir currently has exactly 25 wickets in 15 ODIs.

But there are also legends playing.

Curtly Ambrose - 12 matches
    Shoaib Akhtar and Allan Donald - 15 matches
    Shaun Pollock - 17 matches
    Wasim Akram - 18 matches
    Courtney Walsh - 20 matches
    Glenn McGrath - 21 matches

Of course these stats doesn't prove anything. Its just random numbers without any conclusive evidence. Oh, who is the closest pacer to Mustafizur in terms of matches taken to reach 25 wickets? Ajit Agarkar! Legend. Done it in 11 matches.

* Did not use statsguru to check if there are pacers who reached to 25 wckets before Mustafizur.
    ** Mendis also took 9 matches to reach 25 wickets.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Mustafizur has the highest number of wickets (26) ever after playing 9 matches. He is tied with McClenaghan but he has much better average and strike-rate.

Needs 24 more wickets in 10 matches or under to break BAW Mendis's record of fastest to 50 ODI wickets. And 74 more wickets from 44 matches to break Saqlain Mushtaq's record of fastest to 100 wickets. Very achievable the way he is going.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    United Arab Emirates
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Rubel, Taskin, Shakib, Mustafiz - lethal bowling attack, damn
    Shakib is great but if we had a spinner like Saqlain, Murali, Warne...

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    United Arab Emirates
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dios View Post
    ^Mustafizur has the highest number of wickets (26) ever after playing 9 matches. He is tied with McClenaghan but he has much better average and strike-rate.

Needs 24 more wickets in 10 matches or under to break BAW Mendis's record of fastest to 50 ODI wickets. And 74 more wickets from 44 matches to break Saqlain Mushtaq's record of fastest to 100 wickets. Very achievable the way he is going.
    24 wickets in 10 ODIs actually looks do able....

Only in 3 matches out of 9 did he bowl the complete 10 overs...

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    622 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another good performance from The Reaper himself. Is there anything this guy can't do? Amir should watch some videos of his bowling and pick up a thing or two.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This kid is a special talent no doubt

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's only Zimbabwe but these are very good batting wickets. The same pitch where Tamim and Imrul put on a 300+ partnership in a Test match against Pakistan last year. The first over Mustafiz bowled to Sibanda today and that yorker to Moor were just sublime. He seems to have cut down on bowling cutters. What a bowler. The best in Asia by far. He should be rested for the next two matches and Bangladesh should give Abu Hyder Rony a chance.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mustafizur Rahman: the statistically freaky bowler with an even freakier gift

An article about Mustafizur's recent meteoric rise and his mystery in white ball cricket, published in the Guardian's sportsblog yesterday by respected sports writer Barney Ronay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name:  mus.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  54.9 KB

Would you like to hear my totally baseless World Twenty20-related conspiracy theory about Bangladesh’s “mystery” medium-pace bowler Mustafizur Rahman? The answer to this question is almost certainly: “No, no thank you, I’m fine thanks.” But I’m going to tell you it anyway.

So: how about that Mustafizur Rahman? A shy, skinny left-armer from a village near Satkhira on the south-west border, Mustafizur has enjoyed a sensational eight-month rise. Check out the stats, stats fans. To date Mustafizur has bowled a total of 824 balls in international cricket. Including consecutive five-fors in his first two ODIs, his cross-format wicket haul now stands at 43 at 14 runs apiece. At last month’s IPL auction he was bought for £150,000 by the Sunrisers Hyderabad.

So far it is a rare kind of cricketing pop-stardom, an embodiment of the T20 dream: kid from the village enters the franchise stellar-sphere. The boy from Tetulia is currently the most Googled person in Bangladesh. MS Dhoni even deigned to jostle him during the India series last year. Despite the fact I’ve never actually seen him play live, or understood anything he has said in his interviews on YouTube, or seen him do anything other than take wickets and awkwardly high-five his team-mates in highlights packages, he is undoubtedly my favourite international cricketer right now.

Mainly this is down to his method. Mustafizur isn’t quick. He doesn’t swing the ball much or have a snorting bouncer. He is, on the face of it, a deeply everyday statistically freaky medium-pace tyro. He does, though, have his own superpower in the shape of a subtle and apparently devastating mystery variation.

Blessed with a freakishly supple wrist that can snap through 90 degrees at the point of release, Mustafizur has found he can make the white ball jump and stop alarmingly without any change of action once the shine has scuffed and there’s a bit of grip about. It is a homemade skill, a cutter he learned in the nets while also weaning himself out of hopping off the wrong foot. It works too. His highlights reel is already stuffed with batsmen spooning drive-length balls to cover before trudging off swinging their bat helplessly through the line of some imaginary half-volley.

And now with the World T20 in India only a week away, it turns out he is injured. On Monday, Bangladesh announced their most devastating bowler had a strained rib, enough to keep him out of this week’s Asia Cup games.

My own theory: they’re holding him back. This theory, which is based on absolutely no inside knowledge whatsoever, no whispers, no hard facts, states that Bangladesh are instead preparing to unleash their Agent X on the unwitting batsmen of Ireland, the Netherlands and – most likely – New Zealand and Australia.

A World T20 in India is a serious opportunity. Why risk the mystery man? “We are expecting he will make a quick recovery,” Bangladesh’s physio said this week. Me too, old chum, me too.

Once again I must emphasise this theory is based on absolutely no information, research or inside knowledge. It is instead wishful thinking. I don’t want him to be injured, or normal. I want him to be special. In his own way – or rather in the way I’m so keen to force upon him – Mustafizur, the Mustafizur of the imagination, is the player I’ve been waiting for since it became clear T20 cricket really was opening up a new kind of fever to play and watch.

Those who are evangelical about the shortest form often talk about a lack of due analytical attention for its skill levels and innovations. And yet, even as someone who loves watching T20, it is still a puzzle that the game remains, despite its altered tempo and texture, the odd crowingly received ramp or scoop, basically a high-speed version of the orthodox, a tinkering with what we had.

Batting strike rates have rocketed. Sixes and fours are swatted to unusual areas. But there could be so much more. Where are the real innovators, the T20 babes, kings of the new frontier? Bowling in particular is still essentially the same as it was 60 years ago: pace, swing, seam, leg-spin, off-break. Some have tried. The doosra looked like something new but it has been redefined as cheating in pretty much any form, never mind the extreme skill and flexibility required even to chuck it properly.

It is interesting to imagine how Mustafizur might have got on in England, where the unorthodox and the quirky – key elements of the fast-twitch game of bluff that is white-ball cricket – have never really been embraced in sport. A few years back the super-flexy doosra bowler Maurice Holmes was warned and regulated out of county cricket, when another approach might have been to nurture and cultivate.

More happily, Jos Buttler has thrived as the most successful mildly unorthodox English cricketer of the new age, feet clamped in leg irons while those beautifully destructive hands whir away, with something nobly doomed in the way he simply stands there swatting magnificently as another innings subsides, like some frock-coated lieutenant propped up against the sandbags, a bayonet through each knee, still brandishing his sword-stick as the Boers come swarming over the blockade.

It will be fascinating to see Mustafizur close up when he turns out for Sussex this summer in very different conditions. Before then, the Jump-Ball Kid gets to inflict his delicate mystery in front of the watching world in India. No doubt the numbers will drop off a bit, the cutter finding itself unpicked (already there is talk of a telling change in his grip at the end of his run: stop it, stop that).

Probably the significance of the Mustafizur Supremacy is the nature of his rise. The change here is simply opportunity and interest, never mind the search for new forms. If cricket can make an instant star of a tennis ball cricketer with a flappy wrist who not so long ago was riding his brother’s bike 30 miles just to play a game, you get the feeling something, somewhere is heading the right way.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...world-twenty20

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He goes on to say that Mustafizur is being kept out of the Asia cup by the BCB to keep the novelty or X factor from wearing off, so that he can be unleashed in the all important matches of the upcoming world cup in India.

Do you guys think he'll be as successful in India as he was in Bangladesh or will he find it difficult replicating his form in the world cup?

It is worth noting that only India have been exposed to him so far, and the other teams in Bangladesh's potential group like Australia and New Zealand are yet to face him, while Pakistan have faced just 4 overs of him in his debut T20 match where he picked up 2 wickets.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read it in last night. Very fine piece of writing!
    Last edited by Imran Hasan; 5th March 2016 at 06:28.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome bowler. 2nd best left arm fast bowler right after wasim akram.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quite an entertaining article.

I don't think he will have too much difficulty with it. It all boils down to how well he copes under pressure. If I am not correct, Mustafiz in his short career has only one or two bad spell in his career, notably the death over spell against India where he didn't go for the yorker or cutter.

I think he will be a gun player. People highlighting his cutter too much, almost forgetting that he has an exceptional wide yorker and his length deliveries bowled at good pace to the right handers are difficult to face. Also, against the lefties he is exceptional at bowling stump to stump. He spears into the pads of the left handed batsman and off late the likes of Kock, Perera, Duminy, have struggled against these kinds of deliveries.

Speaking of which, he bowls at 140 + , almost 90MPH, and that is fast.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Quite an entertaining article.

I don't think he will have too much difficulty with it. It all boils down to how well he copes under pressure. If I am not correct, Mustafiz in his short career has only one or two bad spell in his career, notably the death over spell against India where he didn't go for the yorker or cutter.

I think he will be a gun player. People highlighting his cutter too much, almost forgetting that he has an exceptional wide yorker and his length deliveries bowled at good pace to the right handers are difficult to face. Also, against the lefties he is exceptional at bowling stump to stump. He spears into the pads of the left handed batsman and off late the likes of Kock, Perera, Duminy, have struggled against these kinds of deliveries.

Speaking of which, he bowls at 140 + , almost 90MPH, and that is fast.
    He actually bowled cutters against India, but they weren't too effective and were picked up by Pandya and Rohit.

To his credit, he bowled the wide yorker very well and it resulted in not damaging his figures too much at the death.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mustafizur is decent but some of the hype is making him look like a world class bowler, which he won't be in near future.

Bangladesh pitches have been extremely helpful for his type of bowling where he survives because the ball grips.

Is he supposed to play his entire life in Bangladesh? Then sure a performance or two will keep coming up against batsmen who are playing him for the first couple times.

Things will change once he tours abroad. And batsmen learn to counter his cutters.

It's a matter of a few series abroad so you don't have to wait a lot to see my predictions come true.

Not saying he'll become another Irfan Pathan or Bhuvneshwar Kumar, he may still be decent but won't be getting the same number of wickets. Novelty factor will wear off.
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 5th March 2016 at 06:52.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mustafizur can become as great as he can, but won't be able to match Amir in long run especially in test cricket, because these cutters and wide yorkers are totally useless in tests and even in LOIs amir will stay ahead of him, it's not just because amir posses superior skills but he also in another league when it comes to out thinking the batsman. And Amir is also more clutch then mustafizar even though this aspect isn't totally proven because sample size is too small as of now. But still wish him good luck, because cricket needs them both.

We Have Good Players Just Need to Find Good Selectors

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeshan547 View Post
    Mustafizur can become as great as he can, but won't be able to match Amir in long run especially in test cricket, because these cutters and wide yorkers are totally useless in tests and even in LOIs amir will stay ahead of him, it's not just because amir posses superior skills but he also in another league when it comes to out thinking the batsman. And Amir is also more clutch then mustafizar even though this aspect isn't totally proven because sample size is too small as of now. But still wish him good luck, because cricket needs them both.
    He is 20 years old. With the right training he can become more lethal. Of course Aamir is a better bowler than him. But this thread about Mustafiz and not a debate about who the better bowler is.

I've been seeing your comments and you are no different from a troll. Why so mean minded and such a sour mentality?

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrankhannsu View Post
    He is 20 years old. With the right training he can become more lethal. Of course Aamir is a better bowler than him. But this thread about Mustafiz and not a debate about who the better bowler is.

I've been seeing your comments and you are no different from a troll. Why so mean minded and such a sour mentality?
    sorry if my posts offended you, but i say things as i see them, and i have no grudge vs mustafizur. That's why i also wished him best of luck.

We Have Good Players Just Need to Find Good Selectors

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Play one season of IPL and many batsmen will sort him out, especially Indian batsmen

India is the oldest and the oldest continuing civilization, with a history of over 10000 years.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeshan547 View Post
    Disagree on Amir being smarter. Mustafiz is less skilled than Amir, yet has superior averages in all 3 formats after the same number of games, both debutinng as teenagers. If you are less skilled and have bette numbers, chances are you are more cerebral.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mustafizur Rahman analysis

People keep saying Mustafizur will be "found out" with time. While, that is certainly possible, I believe its unlikely. There are 3 main arguments against Mustafizur:

1) he relies too heavily on his cutters
    2) his cutters will be eventually be analyzed
    3) he will only be effective in Bangladesh

Here is an analysis of these flawed arguments:

1) He is only a cutter bowler. People refer to his cutters and much talk has been made about them. While its true, Mustafiz, has taken most of his wickets from the cutter, its a fallacy to state that he can only take wickets with the cutter. Firstly, he has at least two cutters. One bowled around 120 kph and the other at around 130 kph. One of those balls bounces prodigously, making it even harder to play. Secondly, he does use the cutter a lot - 80% of his deliveries in the India game - but as a thinking bowler he did not use the cutter much if at all during his lone Test match spell to date.

Exhibit A
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...l?view=hawkeye

He bowled 17.4 overs in the first innings with an average pace of 83.9 mph = 135 kph. If he was bowling at lot of slower deliveries, his average pace would be much lower. Clearly, he wasn't just bowling slower ball cutters.

Exhibit B

The actual video footage shows regular seam up bowling at 135-140 kph with no cutters. Note he's bowling with the old ball, which would grip more and yet he's still not bowling cutters.

2) His cutters will be analyzed. The thing is, the cutters are delivered with the exact same action and hand position as his stock delivery. Makes it difficult to pick, and impossible to pick every time. Couple that to the handspeed of a 120 kph ball and there is only a fraction of a second you have to spot the ball from 20 yards away. He has extremely flexible wrists which allows him this ability.

To put it into perspective, everyone knows an off spinner bowls off breaks, yet batsmen still get out to off breaks. Simply having knowledge of the particular delivery does not make one immune. The issue is that the off cutter is not a new delivery, there isn't much to decipher. In fact, its used more than the back of the hand slower ball because its less obvious to decipher.

3) He will only be effective on turning pitches. The problem with this argument is that Bangladeshi pitches don't turn. They are almost always low and slow, with with little turn, little seam, and overhead conditions don't really for swing.
    Furthermore, the ball gripping theory works if the wickets are due to the lateral movememt, ie lbws, clean bowleds, edges behind. But thats not the case. Majority of Mustafizur's cutters are chipped or spooned high up in the air, indicating the batsmem are deceived by the slower pace, not by turn.

Not to mention he hasn't yet bowled outside Bangladesh so to state he won't be successful is speculative and not substantive.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IMO he will be a very good LOI bowler through out his career

To succeed In tests though he will have to develop convential in-swing because Cutters cant take wickets unless batsman has to score quickly

Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood [Mindless Sloggers]

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another argument is he will not be good on green pitches because his bowling depends on "grip" on pitches.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Another argument is he will not be good on green pitches because his bowling depends on "grip" on pitches.
    He will be good on green pitches in LOIs without a doubt, but in tests good batters will be able to leave him on line unless he gets the in swinger going.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hur rizvi View Post
    He will be good on green pitches in LOIs without a doubt, but in tests good batters will be able to leave him on line unless he gets the in swinger going.
    Didn't occur like that in the first match smacked around now considering he was compared to Amir who did well on a similar track.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To succeed In tests though he will have to develop convential in-swing because Cutters cant take wickets unless batsman has to score quickly
    Both points addressed under the 3 main arguments.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Didn't occur like that in the first match smacked around now considering he was compared to Amir who did well on a similar track.
    Amir has a well-rounded skill-set. On a green mumba, he cant match Amir because he is 10 kph slower and has lesser skills (In terms of seam and swing), but in general he will be good. First game was one-off T20 so I wont give much weight to that.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutdown Corner View Post
    Both points addressed under the 3 main arguments.
    No I dont think so!!

His wickets shown in video above are due to reverse swing, which is not very common these days and may not be possible in matches out side asia.

In absence of Reverse, Mustafiz will have to somehow bowl in-swingers to be menacing in tests, which he hasnt shown uptil now.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He can be good in tests too, but I doubt he can average under 30 with ball in tests. As far as test potential is concerned i rate taskin higher.

Rubel is absolute garbage for tests

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He can be good in tests too, but I doubt he can average under 30 with ball in tests. As far as test potential is concerned i rate taskin higher.

Rubel is absolute garbage for tests
    Please don't mention Rubel in Tests. Watching him bowl for years has traumatised me.

Isnt the fact he's reversing prove the point that he has more than just a cutter? Conventional swing is also not always present...almost never present in Bangladesh.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is nowhere close to Amir

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_ View Post
    Awesome bowler. 2nd best left arm fast bowler right after wasim akram.
    Lol @ FAST bowler and SECOND best after Wasim. You kidding right?

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandMaster View Post
    He is nowhere close to Amir
    By numbers, he's not.

He's better.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By numbers, he's not.

He's better.
    Sample size is too small for numbers, plus this kid never played outside his den.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandMaster View Post
    Sample size is too small for numbers, plus this kid never played outside his den.
    If the sample size is too small size how do you know where he is at all?

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the sample size is too small size how do you know where he is at all?
    His performance in Asia cup was good enough to judge his skills. He is a decent bowler but far away from the best.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just broke the IPL record for the best economy rate in a match.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Somewhere from Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best after..nahhh he's the greatest pacer of all time.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thread (Amir vs Fizz) needs to die. If no one posts there it would have a natural death. Comparing always leads to enmity at some point.

This should be his official discussion thread for Fizz. There are tons of Amir threads as well where Amir's performance can be discussed when the time comes.

Forgive when you are on top. Don't you want to be forgiven?

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dios View Post
    Just broke the IPL record for the best economy rate in a match.
    I don't think so. http://stats.espncricinfo.com/indian...17;type=trophy

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mustafizur can bowl 140kmph toe crushing Yorkers at will, does that make him a 'slow death' I wonder, looks quick to me

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    Even in this season he is tied with Hastings. http://stats.espncricinfo.com/indian...ype=tournament
    Hastings bowled only two overs four balls though. Not the full quota and don't think he bowled at the death

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangladesh_Fan View Post
    Hastings bowled only two overs four balls though. Not the full quota and don't think he bowled at the death
    Well they didn't let the innings last until the death overs. But anyway it doesn't matter, Mustafizur bowled a lot better than him this match.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A magnificent young talent, if he keeps working hard on his game and keeps his feet on the ground could be one of Bangladeshs greatest cricketersand also become ATG in LOI, don't know how many tests Bangladesh will play for him to become an ATG in that format.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    He created a new IPL record. Starting with 9 dot balls in a match. No one.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BD-fan View Post
    That's a very odd record... I'm not sure how note worthy the record of bowling the most consecutive dot balls at the start of the spell is.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1040 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    A magnificent young talent, if he keeps working hard on his game and keeps his feet on the ground could be one of Bangladeshs greatest cricketersand also become ATG in LOI, don't know how many tests Bangladesh will play for him to become an ATG in that format.
    Needs more than just off-cutters and yorkers to dismiss test batsmen.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BD-fan View Post
    IPL record? Since when has that become a yardstick for measuring international success

I fear for the future of cricket

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    He has all types of deliveries in his armory unlike some other fast bowler who has very limited abilities and needs a green top in order to look somewhat threatening.

Because of fizz's ability to bowl variety of deliveries he can single handedly destroy any batting lineup even on the fattest of tracks.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    IPL record? Since when has that become a yardstick for measuring international success

I fear for the future of cricket
    It is not. It is also in tamasha format.

If you follow the chain of replies... you would know why I posted it. ;)

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fully agreed that's why playing first class cricket in England this summer will aid him in his development. I was watching sky sports coverage of the ipl, and they said mustafizur cutters and slower deliveries may get him wickets in test matches on day 4 and day 5.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's definitely getting better and has got a bag full of tricks. Can bowl 140+ when needed, swing and seam the ball when conditions allow, bowl yorkers and off cutters perfectly. All without much change in his action or run up. And has got a wonderful match awareness for someone so young.

Yes tougher challenges await, needs to be seen how he copes up with Test cricket etc but a wonderful exciting prospect for international cricket. And dare I say best T20 bowler currently. Deserves every bit of praise he's getting.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has at least two different cutters. Probably more. He can reverse it as well. Of course he wont get a wicket every spell like he does in limited overs, but he should be good enough to average under 30. Don't forget he has unerrung accuracy as well. And he can read the batsman's mind on top of that.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know what Satkhira means - but it sure reads like a town name in games like The Witcher 3.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by *syed59* View Post
    Dont know what Satkhira means - but it sure reads like a town name in games like The Witcher 3.
    Satkhira - a south-western district in BD - part of Khulna Division.
    It shares border with West Bengal, India.
    Satkhita to Kolkata distance - 108 km
    Satkhita to Dhaka distance - 243 km

A bohemian I was born, A bohemian I would die!

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Q. Mustafizur has been playing superbly in the IPL. Have you been watching?

Mashrafe: Mustafizur's success was expected. Top batsmen across the world have trouble reading him. IPL teams comprise four foreign and seven Indian players. He is supposed to do well there, it's no surprise. In an interview before the IPL, I said Mustafizur will be one of the top three wicket-takers - still looking forward to that.

Q. IPL involves lots of off-field issues. He is abroad alone for the first time. Language issues, the glamour, so much travelling – it's a different world there. But he coped pretty fast. Was it not surprising?

Mashrafe: I knew he wouldn't have any problem over those issues. His cricketing skills can overshadow all his other shortcomings. Say he spends 10-12 days without practice, just sleeping, still he will surely be able to bowl with guile and venom in a match. He can bowl cutters with his eyes closed, it comes naturally to him. Mustafizur is far more skilful than all his contemporaries.

Q. You see him up close all the time. Is he really as unplayable as batsmen claim? Or do they just succumb to Mustafizur's reputation?

Mashrafe: I'd say, he is much more difficult to play than it seems. Simply consider this, all batsmen know he will bowl cutters but still struggle to play them. Why? Firstly, because of the diversity of his cutters. It's difficult reading his wrist action. And now he has more tricks up his sleeve. The slower ones are there, his yorkers have become much better. He bowls bouncers too. All these variations keep batsmen guessing all the time. If you look closer, you'll see batsmen miss many of his full toss deliveries. That's because they fail to read those balls. Sometimes he may have to bear with a one or two sixes and fours, but he is basically unplayable. A batsman like AB de Villiers could not play him even after getting set.

Q. Most Indian wickets are batting paradise, without any bite for bowlers. Yet Mustafizur manages to get wickets regularly. Is it because of his variations?

Mashrafe: It's good for him if the ball does grip the surface but it's not necessary. He has developed a wide repertoire. He can now bowl at 142-143 kmph, and with a cross seam that unsettles the batsman. He has been bowling perfect yorkers.

Q. Was it not surprising to see him bowl at 142-143 kmph ?

Mashrafe: He bowled at 138-140 kmph in the World Cup too. The boost in his speed now has made his slower ones and cutters more effective. He is still young. His muscles have not fully matured yet. I believe he will bowl faster in the future. But with his skills, it's fine even if it doesn't.

Q. He has been bowling great yorkers. Even a few days ago it was not so flawless.

Mashrafe: Actually he's been doing it well since the Asia Cup. He bowled good yorkers to (Angelo) Mathews and (Chamara) Kapugedera in the slog overs of the match against Sri Lanka. He did it well in the World T20 as well. The glamour of the IPL attracts much focus on players. The sight of Andre Russell floored by one of his yorkers has become unforgettable to many. But yes, he has fitted into the IPL very well. He has been playing matches regularly there and he is a quick learner too.

Q. Everybody has been saying he is a 'quick learner'. His captain at Sunrisers Hyderabad, others in the team management, commentators and critics have all been talking about how good his cricket brain is. What is your take on that?

Mashrafe: Natural talent is definitely a key factor there and he has it He grasps everything very quickly. It's been just a year since he stepped in international cricket and has played in the team regularly after entering the national team. He has gained some experience and he puts them good use. He can read the batsmen quickly. And he also has that God-gifted special, cutters. He is a very smart bowler on the whole.

One other thing is when someone is at the peak of the life, the mind slowly opens up. The positive aspects of the on-field performance influence other spheres of his life as well. Again a disciplined life is also reflected on his on-field performance, it's all linked.

Q. Mustafizur has been arranging his field by himself most of the times in the IPL. It is something rare for such a young bowler. Is it the same in the Bangladesh team, or do you do it?

Mashrafe: In the Bangladesh team, we all know how to arrange the field when he is bowling. His field arrangement is a bit different from the rest. For instance, instead of a long-on we prefer employing a mid-on for him in the slog overs, and two more fielders near the square leg and midwicket boundary. In general no other bowler in the world dares to keep a mid-on in the slog overs. But it is very difficult to play Mustafizur straight. You saw yesterday (Saturday), [Nikhil Naik] got out trying to hit him over mid-on. These things are naturally new to David Warner, maybe that is why Mustafizur is doing it himself.

Q. Despite bowling superbly, he has not been getting too many wickets. Is it because the batsmen are extra careful dealing with him?

Mashrafe: That's true. I did think he would get a haul of four or five wickets by now. But how will he get wickets when everyone is beaten in such manners that they can't even lay a bat on him. They keep missing repeatedly. A batsman likes Brendon McCullum had no idea what Mustafizur was doing.

Playing with caution is also crucial. Taking wickets also need luck. Maybe he will get many wickets in one of forthcoming matches. I believe, he will only get better. I've already said I am hoping to see him in the top three.

Q. His best delivery or performance so far?

Mashrafe: I was eagerly awaiting to see how Mustafizur bowls against AB de Villiers. In world cricket at present, no other batsman is as dangerous as de Villiers when he is set. So I always wondered how he bowls to him . But when Mustafizur took him out with his second ball, I had no more doubt or question left . That is why that wicket is special.

But if I had to choose the best delivery, Russell's wicket would be it. Because many did not even expect such a perfect yorker from him and Russell fell flat trying to block the ball.

Q. Do you think Mustafizur can take so much playing? How crucial is it to handle him and how much responsibility falls on whom?

Mashrafe: It is the most crucial for the future. A person is mostly responsible for taking care of himself. Mustafizur is capable of doing that very well. He is a very disciplined boy. So I don't worry too much about it.

The worry lies elsewhere. I have full confidence, Mustafizur's demand will be tremendous in leagues and tournaments around the world. In that case, he himself and his family need to consider what's best for him. He has endured two spells of injury in the past few days. He has been playing continuously over the last year. He went into the IPL right after the World T20. He may then come to play two or three Dhaka Premier League matches. From here he will head for Sussex. We will be touring India, then a home series against England, followed by New Zealand tour. When does he get to rest?

I say he has decide very carefully, which game to play and which to skip. Because at the end of the day these T20 tournaments have little virtue in terms of cricketing benefits though they bring financial benefits. Being professional cricketer, the financial aspects have to be considered. He will naturally want to play in the IPL where the BPL [Bangladesh Premier League] is our league. Apart from these he should play only where the financial profit would be considerable while never compromising with his body.

His family, acquaintances, out board, everybody has a responsibility. Even a machine goes out of order if it does not get rest. His body is not a machine. Mustafizur is an asset for Bangladesh, we must realise that. We have to make sure that Bangladesh gets the highest service he has to offer, so that he can play for at least 10-12 years for Bangladesh. I believe, Mustafizur will change Bangladesh cricket.

http://m.bdnews24.com/en/detail/cricket/1141852

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last bit from Mashrafe is very important. I'm sure Mustafiz will be generating interest from all the T20 leagues in the world now. He has to be selective. I personally think he should restrict himself to the IPL, BBL and BPL. Also he should be used with caution in international cricket as well.