Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Mohammad Asif targets return to international cricket against England

Regarded as a magician with the ball, Mohammad Asif alongside Mohammad Amir formed a formidable new ball partnership which frequently laid waste to the top batting line-ups of the world. In August 2010, this association and the careers of Mohammad Asif, Mohammad Amir and Salman Butt came to an abrupt stop as news of the spot fixing scandal hit the headlines. The three players were consequently punished by the ICC with a five year ban from playing all forms of cricket.

On September 2nd 2015, the ban expired leaving the door open for a possible return to international cricket for the now thirty-two year old Asif whose Test record of 23 matches where he picked up 106 wickets, with the best figures of 6/41 against Australia in Sydney is one that he would be looking forward to improve.

In an interview with PakPassion.net, Asif spoke on a number of topics including his hopes of a possible return to international cricket, his ability to regain the form that had marked him as one of the top bowlers up until 2010, what he has learnt from the mistakes of the past and his feelings about reports that some players may not welcome him back into the Pakistan team.

PakPassion.net : What are your hopes of a return to international cricket?

Mohammad Asif : Well I have to be realistic. My ban has only just finished and people are already talking about a return to international cricket. Despite having targets I feel it’s too early at this stage to be speaking about a return to international cricket. My fitness is fine and I weigh exactly what I did five years ago before I was banned. Mentally I am ready for a return to cricket but I have to be realistic and take things one step at a time.

PakPassion.net : How long do you think will it be before you feel you will be ready for international cricket, six months, a year, eighteen months perhaps?

Mohammad Asif : Oh no, not that long. Within one or two months I will be back at the stage I was at before I was banned from cricket. I’ve been given some targets by the Pakistan Cricket Board regarding fitness levels and they shouldn’t be a problem at all. I’ve now started training at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore which will be a great help. The grounds are open to all to perform. It’s simple, if I perform well then the selectors can pick me, if I don’t perform then the national selectors will ignore me.

The door has been opened for me and it’s down to me to perform. There is a lot of competition with young pace bowlers now on the scene for Pakistan and it’s all down to who performs in domestic cricket. Realistically though my target for a return to international cricket is the series in England next year and that is a target I have set myself.

PakPassion.net : You mention that you’ve not gained any weight at all in five years, how have you kept yourself fit. I believe you played some cricket in Norway?

Mohammad Asif : During the last two years I’ve spent a lot of time in Norway with friends, playing a lot of cricket there. I have some good friends out in Norway and they invited me there to play some club cricket and to train with them. I had a fitness schedule which consisted of swimming, gym work, indoor cricket and outdoor cricket whenever possible. Also when I was in Pakistan I played club cricket whenever the opportunity arose. In addition I played a little bit of club cricket in the Middle-East. Most of this was just friendly cricket but it was good to be out there on the field among friends. I made sure that I didn’t break any rules set by the ICC and the PCB and ensured that I played cricket within the allowed guidelines.

PakPassion.net : Looking back now, you must have a lot of regrets about that no-ball?

Mohammad Asif : That was a huge mistake and yes it’s a huge regret. It’s a mistake that I want to warn the next generation of cricketers about and to ensure they learn from me and to make sure they don’t make the same mistakes that I made. I will speak with those young players face to face if the International Cricket Council and Pakistan Cricket Board want me to and lecture them about what I have faced in these last five years. I want to make other cricketers aware of what I faced and warn them of the consequences.

PakPassion.net : What have you learnt from that huge mistake?

Mohammad Asif : The last five years of my life have been very harsh and very hard for me. The toughest part of it was that I couldn’t enter the grounds that I have played cricket all my life on and go out there and play a sport that I have always loved and have a passion for. It wasn’t just tough for me, but it was also a very difficult time for my family. My family offered me a lot of support during these tough times particularly when I was serving time in prison in the United Kingdom.

PakPassion.net : What was prison like? Did it help sharing a cell with Salman Butt and did you help each other get through the experience?

Mohammad Asif : I never thought that one day I would be sat in a prison cell. But such is life, anything is possible. There have been many people who have had tough periods in their life and got through it. It was the same for me, I just wanted to get that tough period of my life over with and move forward. Nelson Mandela is someone who also had to go to prison and he got through that difficult time and he was my inspiration when I was in prison. If I keep dwelling on the past I will never move forward with my life and move forward is exactly what I wish to do now. I want to utilise this opportunity I have been given and move forward and forget the past.

Salman (Butt) shared a cell with me for the first couple of months of our sentence before we moved cells and yes that was a help. It was a daunting time and I had no idea what to expect, so yes having a familiar face with me was probably a help. We supported each other in prison especially during the time we shared a cell.

PakPassion.net : You tainted the name of Pakistan cricket and hurt the feelings of many cricket lovers around the world. Are you sorry for what you did and for what happened?

Mohammad Asif : I’ve previously apologised to the whole of Pakistan and to cricket lovers around the world and I apologise once again for my actions. I made a mistake and for that I am very sorry. However I want to move forward now and forget the past, but also to learn from it.

PakPassion : Are you in contact with Salman Butt and Mohammad Amir and have you supported each other through the ban?

Mohammad Asif : We were all down during these last five years. It was difficult to meet each other as we knew that the conversation would keep leading to us talking about the difficulties we were facing and what happened, so we only met occasionally and that was just to offer each other support.

PakPassion.net : There is a consensus that some current Pakistan players do not want to play alongside you, Mohammad Amir and Salman Butt. How do you feel about that?

Mohammad Asif : First and foremost, the Pakistan cricket team belongs to the nation of Pakistan, it does not belong to any individual players. This is not a local village team where some players don’t want others to play and that’s exactly what happens. If one or two players don’t want to play alongside us, then who knows, those players may not be in the team themselves in the future. Players come and go and nobody is an automatic or guaranteed selection. If Pakistan needs us in the team in future, then we will be picked regardless of what some individual players’ feelings are.

PakPassion.net : In addition, some former Pakistan players feel that you do not deserve another chance. What is your response to those players?

Mohammad Asif : There are a couple of players who are speaking out against me, Amir and Butt. They are offering their opinions and I have no problems at all with that as that is their opinion on television. They aren’t selectors and I don’t think they will influence the selectors as what matters is our performance on the field. However there are a number of other former players who feel we deserve another chance and I think that opinion among former Pakistan players is probably 70/30 in our favour. There are people who are for me and against me. I actually get more energy from people who are against me as I want to show those people what I am still capable of and to prove them wrong.

PakPassion.net : There are many cricket fans around the globe who feel you’ve previously had plenty of chances and are very lucky to be offered another opportunity in cricket. What is your message to those who suggest you don’t deserve yet another chance?

Mohammad Asif : I wholeheartedly apologise to those cricket fans for the biggest mistake of my life. I’ve hurt people who supported me and backed me and I promise them that I will not make another mistake and let them down once again.

PakPassion.net : What are your memories of that day at Lord’s when you bowled the now infamous no-ball?

Mohammad Asif : The memories are painful but they are memories that I want to try and remove from my mind. If I keep thinking back then I can never move ahead to the next and very important phase of my life. My thinking at this moment is to forget the past and move forward. If I keep thinking about what happened at Lord’s and the past five years and other difficult times in my life, then I will just be eaten up by negative thoughts. I need to make sure that I forget the past and look ahead

PakPassion.net : There will no doubt come a time when you are in the same team or playing against Salman Butt and Mohammad Amir. How do you feel about that possible scenario?

Mohammad Asif : We are used to playing against and alongside each other so I don’t think it will be a strange feeling and I don’t think there will be any animosity. What happened has happened, we cannot change the past. If Butt and Amir want to dwell in the past then that is up to them, but I’m not someone who wants to dwell on what occurred, I’d rather look to the future, be optimistic and be positive.

PakPassion.net : During your ban you stated that a fish never forgets how to swim. Is that just talk or do you feel as a bowler you can reach the heights of the past?

Mohammad Asif : I stand by that statement. I was a highly-skilled bowler who could out-think batsmen. I feel that I can be as good as I was at my best. I have natural skills and I don’t believe that I have lost those skills despite not having played at the highest level for five years. I can still swing the ball on any surface and I’ve not lost that ability.
    Last edited by MenInG; 5th September 2015 at 11:44.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    The Eurasian Plate
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man even if this guy is half the bowler he was he is going to absolutely wreck our domestic batsmen this season.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    He sounds as if he has matured.

I hope that he has.

The England tour is a very sensible target. He is three years younger than Ryan Harris was when he played his last Test, and realistically Asif might play 10-20 more Tests.

In 2016 there are 10 Tests in six months in England, New Zealand and then Australia. Asif needs to target them as being the entire rest of his career.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    If you assume that Misbah retires but that Younis hangs around, Pakistan might look to prosecute those 10 Tests in England, New Zealand and Australia next year with a team something like this:

1. Ahmed Shehzad
    2. Salman Butt
    3. Azhar Ali (capt)
    4. Younis Khan
    5. Babar Azam
    6. Asad Shafiq
    7. Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
    8. Mohammad Amir
    9. Wahab Riaz
    10. Yasir Shah
    11. Mohammad Asif

It's probably the strongest team that Pakistan has ever had from number 6 downwards - the problem is the batting, not the bowling.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2029 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Good interview, so in Jail he was thinking himself as Nelson Mandela? Well if he is really changed now, then good luck for him for national as well as international career.

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I laughed my heart out while reading asif mentioning " Nelson Mandela "

I am happy with his mature comments and thinking. Great to know he is in shape.

I hope & pray that he stays fit and performs great from January to March in all the cricket he gets.

# Go Asif Go
    # we want the magician back.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Apart from the Nelson Mandela comment which is very "Asif"esque

I would say that he seems to be up for the fight

I don't think his response to the question on players issues with him is very mature and almost shows arrogance

The way to answer that would be to say that you will need it to the selectors and PCB and say no more.

This statement in itself tells me feel that this guy will only cause trouble in the team - lets see how this pans out.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear what Asif's plans are.

But only a complete bonehead would bring up Mandela in an interview like this.

No wonder this guy has had so much trouble, he's very dumb.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blistering Barnacle View Post
    Good to hear what Asif's plans are.

But only a complete bonehead would bring up Mandela in an interview like this.

No wonder this guy has had so much trouble, he's very dumb.
    He didn't compare himself to Mandela. He said that Mandela was an inspiration as someone who went to jail and then emerged without bitterness or rancour.

That strikes me as positive, not negative. Did you want him to be inspired by someone who went to jail and came out bitter and twisted?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I was asked by a UK tabloid journalist a few days ago what's the competition like for opening bowlers in the Pakistan Test team. My response was that Asif and Amir would still be first choice if they are even 75% as good as they were back in 2010.

Yes Rahat has improved, Wahab is a better bowler now and Imran Khan is ok, but Asif, Amir and Wahab would probably still be the first three picks.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Good interview and good luck to him. I hope the armchair moralists give it a rest now.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Also for those interested, Asif was in excellent spirits, sounded very focussed and very positive and relieved to be given another chance.

The ball is in his court now as he's in last chance saloon.

Bowling wise, I think he'll still be good enough for Test cricket, but whether the PCB will pick him again is another matter.
    Last edited by Saj; 5th September 2015 at 11:13.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Also, can I point out that while Nelson Mandela is a heroic figure, he actually was guilty of the terrorism offences of which he was convicted. He actually did blow up post offices and telephone exchanges.

It was the right thing to do and the only thing to do.

But Asif is not out of line saying that he was inspired by Mandela's approach to incarceration.

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    such a talent, ruined his career, he and amir would have been ruling the bowling for the last 5 years.

He wont play for pakistan again!

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic_Inzi View Post
    such a talent, ruined his career, he and amir would have been ruling the bowling for the last 5 years.

He wont play for pakistan again!
    Keep on wishing, pal.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sounds right about his weight though. Don't appear to have gained much.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    The Moon
    Runs
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Curious to see how he performs after playing no competitive cricket for 5 years. Hope the PCB gives all 3 a fair chance to make their comebacks as they have already done their time. As for the damage done, only they themselves can fix it. If they don't, history will only remember the trio for the spot fixing.

Have you ever been to heaven at night?

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystrey View Post
    Keep on wishing, pal.
    bro i wish im wrong the guy is quality.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the interview.

He really loves Norway, I have met him a couple of times here. Very friendly guy. But that is not enough. He needs to learn now.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    asif is still our best bowler after imran khan. he can bring a lot to the plate. pcb should hire him asap.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved this interview. What a character.

Some really good in dippers from Asif.

He is the sort of character who knows he is one a million bowler, like seriously how many wobby seam bowlers have we produced who swing the ball both ways??

His interview shows that he knows that if gets to full fitness there is no stopping him from getting back in the first team.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wobbly*

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How could he stay together with salman in same cell!

please upload a video of his firrst over when he starts to play anykind of league in pakistan.

had he played for pakistan last 5 years, he might have 400 wickets now in test.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    North side of Londonnn
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Even though I dislike him as an individual for all the controversies he's been in throughout his life, I will say that I'm somewhat inspired by some of the things he said regarding on coping with certain issues and trying to move forward. He's a mentally strong individual.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    He said that Mandela was an inspiration as someone who went to jail and then emerged without bitterness or rancour.
    Nelson Mandela is a hero who went to jail for fighting an apartheid regime. Asif went to jail for spot fixing. As I said, only a bonehead would bring him up in an interview, which asif clearly is.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention Mandela was in jail for something like 27 years and Asif was in an easy jail for something like 5-6 months.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I hate him for his past shenanegans and for missing at least half of his career due to his idiocy...he could have been one of the all time greats if not for all the issues he was involved in!

Yet, I am still trying to grasp where he compared himself to Mandela and what was so wong in his statement " Nelson Mandela is someone who also had to go to prison and he got through that difficult time and he was my inspiration when I was in prison?"

Who decides a guilty person like Asif cannot get his inspiration by remembering a political leader's example, irrespective of what either did to end up in jail? Also, like someone mentioned in this thread, Mandela blew up some buildings etc. as part of figting apartheid and hence ended up there. Who or what did Asif blow up?

Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Two things that stood out for me.

1. The Nelson Mandela analogy. Really?

2. If Amir was the innocent child coerced by Salman Butt, why is he still meeting up with him, as Asif is suggesting?

Better luck next time

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post
    As much as I hate him for his past shenanegans and for missing at least half of his career due to his idiocy...he could have been one of the all time greats if not for all the issues he was involved in!

Yet, I am still trying to grasp where he compared himself to Mandela and what was so wong in his statement " Nelson Mandela is someone who also had to go to prison and he got through that difficult time and he was my inspiration when I was in prison?"

Who decides a guilty person like Asif cannot get his inspiration by remembering a political leader's example, irrespective of what either did to end up in jail? Also, like someone mentioned in this thread, Mandela blew up some buildings etc. as part of figting apartheid and hence ended up there. Who or what did Asif blow up?
    On the face of it, Mandela withstood the brutalities of the apartheid penal system because he believed he was fighting for the greater good, for which he was willing to sacrifice everything including his own life for it.

A more appropriate analogy for Asif would have been Malcolm X. Someone who used his time in prison to reform themselves.

Better luck next time

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post

Mandela was in jail for 27 years for fighting apartheid, not for taking a bribe.

What good cause was Asif fighting that got him in jail? Sounds like he felt he was persecuted or something and that he hadn't done anything wrong to end up in jail.

THAT is the problem.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mandela was in jail for 27 years for fighting apartheid, not for taking a bribe.

What good cause was Asif fighting that got him in jail? Sounds like he felt he was persecuted or something and that he hadn't done anything wrong to end up in jail.

THAT is the problem.
    I think thats what you think, his words more incline towards that Nelson Mandela went to jail and came out as a reformed man, and that is what he inspires to be, that he went to jail and would like to be reformed and be good

He didnt compare himself to mandela. IF he did then your thinking is right

عبدي أنت تريد ، وأنا أريد ، ولا يكون إلا ما أريد ، فإن سلمت لي فيما تريد كفيتك ما تريد

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    Thanks for the interview.

He really loves Norway, I have met him a couple of times here. Very friendly guy. But that is not enough. He needs to learn now.
    Yes @IAJ when he spoke about Norway I could tell that he likes the place and has spent some good times there amongst friends.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with mentioning Mandela as his inspiration, you always look to great people for inspiration, and Asif
    did the same.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, has anything been said about whether the trio would be allowed back into the UK anyway? That could potentially put a dent into a few hopes.

Calling Mandela his inspiration is just ridiculous.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He sounds like he has matured but I wouldn't get my hopes up. He had a long, long, list of infringements before the spot fixing. However, I would love a bowler even half as good as him. And he is spot on when he says that the Pakistani team belongs to Pakistan and not a few individuals.

I still think him and Butt should be kept out the team. If Asif can return to the form he showed before the ban (unlikely in my opinion) then I would be tempted to bring him back. Butt must be kept out at all costs. He was the most educated and clean cut. He was the captain and the ringleader. But we don't need his personality, and we don't need him as a batsman either.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AamirWarraich View Post
    He sounds like he has matured but I wouldn't get my hopes up. He had a long, long, list of infringements before the spot fixing. However, I would love a bowler even half as good as him. And he is spot on when he says that the Pakistani team belongs to Pakistan and not a few individuals.

I still think him and Butt should be kept out the team. If Asif can return to the form he showed before the ban (unlikely in my opinion) then I would be tempted to bring him back. Butt must be kept out at all costs. He was the most educated and clean cut. He was the captain and the ringleader. But we don't need his personality, and we don't need him as a batsman either.
    I agree with almost everything that you have written, apart from the last bit about Butt as a batsman.

Have you seen how little Shehzad and the soon-to-be 35 year old Hafeez move their feet?

Hafeez could not even get his Test batting average up to 10.00 in South Africa at 32, and at almost 36 in England then New Zealand and finally Australia it is going to be much, much worse.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you assume that Misbah retires but that Younis hangs around, Pakistan might look to prosecute those 10 Tests in England, New Zealand and Australia next year with a team something like this:

1. Ahmed Shehzad
    2. Salman Butt
    3. Azhar Ali (capt)
    4. Younis Khan
    5. Babar Azam
    6. Asad Shafiq
    7. Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
    8. Mohammad Amir
    9. Wahab Riaz
    10. Yasir Shah
    11. Mohammad Asif

It's probably the strongest team that Pakistan has ever had from number 6 downwards - the problem is the batting, not the bowling.
    'Brother Junaids'...Salman Butt no way, He was a sub standard test opener even at his peak. There is absolutely no need to bring him back. Amir and Asif were the players of real value. It was a huge blunder to make Salman Butt the captain, because a player like him had no long term prospects hence he fell for easy money and took the most valuable pace duo down with him.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Asif on a green top-Lethal.

Asif on UAE, Dubai and SC type pattas- Useless.

People are under estimating and over rating him at the same time. I would say he was extremely lucky to have played on mostly seaming friendly pitches for most of his career.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketAXEpert View Post
    'Brother Junaids'...Salman Butt no way, He was a sub standard test opener even at his peak. There is absolutely no need to bring him back. Amir and Asif were the players of real value. It was a huge blunder to make Salman Butt the captain, because a player like him had no long term prospects hence he fell for easy money and took the most valuable pace duo down with him.
    To be frank, I agree that Salman Butt was the least talented of the three players by far.

But, and this is a big thing, he played in an era of much more difficult Test wickets.

In terms of Asif and Amir, at least you still have Rahat Ali and Wahab Riaz as alternatives.

But while Salman Butt was medicore, he was so much better than Hafeez or Shehzad at Test level that it's not funny. Their records show higher averages built on flat tracks in Asia, but neither of them would be capable of scoring 20 in Australia against the current Aussie attack, while Butt hit two centuries against McGrath, Gillespie and Warne and against Johnson at his peak.

So ironically, Salman Butt is the one you need the most in terms of the complete absence of alternative openers who are technically sound.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miandadrules View Post
    Two things that stood out for me.

1. The Nelson Mandela analogy. Really?

2. If Amir was the innocent child coerced by Salman Butt, why is he still meeting up with him, as Asif is suggesting?
    I think the statement that Amir meets him on the side is on par with 'things Asif has in common with Mandela'

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THAT is the problem.
    Maybe Asif was trying to pay back all the money he owes to Veena Malik.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    SW Uk
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i hope that you are sincere and you will keep your word to the cricket loving fans whose hearts you broke good luck !!

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting if he did make a comback against England in England, as he suggests. There would be so much media hype and attention. I can imagine a few English players saying things in the media, as they usually do, to get the nation against Asif and Amir. Things like how they are uncomfortable playing against Asif and Amir on the same grounds they cheated on.

I do wonder if these guys can even get Visas for England. Surely a criminal record will have some influence on their applications.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    It would be interesting if he did make a comback against England in England, as he suggests. There would be so much media hype and attention. I can imagine a few English players saying things in the media, as they usually do, to get the nation against Asif and Amir. Things like how they are uncomfortable playing against Asif and Amir on the same grounds they cheated on.

I do wonder if these guys can even get Visas for England. Surely a criminal record will have some influence on their applications.
    Apparently Salman Butt is the only one who is excluded from entering the UK, because he accepted early release from prison on condition of being deported.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any restrictions on him entering the UAE and/or the UK? I vaguely remember there being a 10-year ban on him from entering UAE after he was caught at the Dubai airport with something in his wallet. Similarly, in exchange for reducing their jail sentences to half, didn't he and Butt have to agree to not enter the UK for a certain number of years?

Float like a Butterfly...Sting like a Bee

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFighter View Post
    Asif on a green top-Lethal.

Asif on UAE, Dubai and SC type pattas- Useless.

People are under estimating and over rating him at the same time. I would say he was extremely lucky to have played on mostly seaming friendly pitches for most of his career.
    You are mislead on this that is why you are saying Asif is over rated and over hyped .

Did u see Asif's bowling in Bagh e Jinnah Lahore where he took 9 or 10 wickets against ful strength England test team ?

Did you watch his bowling against the towering Indian line up in Pakistan ?

Did you watch his bowling his srilanka against jayawardene , jayasuriya , sangakara & samaraweera ? 3 averaging 50 plus by than .

He is rated highly because on flat decks he was good , on supporting surfaces he was very good and on green tops / bowling friendly pitches he was unplayable .

Lastly , why is he rated highly ? He troubled Sachin , Sehwag , Tebdulkar , Laxman , Dravid , Jayawardene , Sangakara , Pieterson , AB , Kallis & Amla and got their wickets . That is why he is rated highly .

Had he played all his int cricket in South Agrica than he would have averaged 19,20 with a strike rate of 30 per wicket . The stats you see are because of mostly playing on Pattas / flat decks but still very impressive stats and despite being a fast bowler from subcontinent playing mostly in suncontinent he was world number 2 test bowler when he got banned and at that time ajmal , swann , Anderson and steyn were at their peak of career still Asif was world number 2 among them " For a Reason "

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Apparently Salman Butt is the only one who is excluded from entering the UK, because he accepted early release from prison on condition of being deported.
    Yes I've heard that too.

However I've also heard that he is trying to get the deportation order 'lifted'.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid target to have and I am sure he will be ready for the summer of 2016, dare I say it even before hand, provided of course he stands by what he has said in this interview.

It would be great if the NZ tour ahead of the summer did contain a couple of tests, not just as I think he could feature but also as its great to have more test cricket for Pakistan.

And while any bowler looking to make it back into the fold is likely to say that his abilities remain intact, I genuinely believe Asif is being frank. He is just that good.

Amir and Asif are probably the best we have despite the bans, and alongside Riaz will probably open up a lot of top orders, home or away.

I really REALLY hope we can see Amir, Asif, Wahab and Shah together, with Younis, Misbah, Sarfraz and Azhar ensuring they have totals to work with...(fingers crossed!).

SOUND the ALAM!

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salman butt? like really? He was an average batsman anyways and now to play him after 5 years gap is plain foolishness

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saadspeaks View Post
    Salman butt? like really? He was an average batsman anyways and now to play him after 5 years gap is plain foolishness
    He was a good odi batsmen however he was very average in the longer format of the game.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    Ghardamad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nelson Mandela. So, does he believe he was persecuted?

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great bowler but should not come back and certainly not against England or in England. It isn't rocket science - we don't have to make it difficult for ourselves.
    The first thing Pakistan has to do is hire an Oxbridge educated media relations manager for both England tours.

Bad Boys, Bad Boys....What you gonna do when the ICC come for you

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    Great bowler but should not come back and certainly not against England or in England. It isn't rocket science - we don't have to make it difficult for ourselves.
    The first thing Pakistan has to do is hire an Oxbridge educated media relations manager for both England tours.
    X2 If he is to be selected select him after the series against england this goes for the others too

After everything that happened last time round the last thing pcb should want is to stoke the fire more and another fractious bitter series

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    X2 If he is to be selected select him after the series against england this goes for the others too

After everything that happened last time round the last thing pcb should want is to stoke the fire more and another fractious bitter series
    We need Misbah as skipper for the tour in England - again just for the way he will handle the media and his own players but also for his batting / captaincy. Hope he reconsiders which he may do if the India tour does not go ahead.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only surmise that you are a major Butt supporter regardless of his 30 average.

Good for you. But just come clean.

Butt was a pathetic test player whose glory days were a few innings against Australia which you tout at every opportunity.

You state that these other openers we have would stink in Australia. However, they haven't had the chance yet.

Sorry but you are a terrible supporter of the matchfixing trio for reasons not clear. You were even touting a little while ago that they would be exonerated - remember that? - for their role as NOTW went defunct. However, as I said, they would not be and they were not - unlike your hopeful theory.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Sorry but you are a terrible supporter of the matchfixing trio for reasons not clear. You were even touting a little while ago that they would be exonerated - remember that? - for their role as NOTW went defunct. However, as I said, they would not be and they were not - unlike your hopeful theory.[/QUOTE]

" Match Fixing " ?

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a talent gone to waste, he could have been one of the all time greats of pakistan.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by princeuk View Post
    What a talent gone to waste, he could have been one of the all time greats of pakistan.

Sometimes it's the crazed antics of geniuses that makes them what they are

Would Shakespeare have been the same without magic mushrooms
    Would maradona have been the same without his street spirit
    Would cantona have been the same without seagulls

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how his fitness will be

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post
    Sorry but you are a terrible supporter of the matchfixing trio for reasons not clear. You were even touting a little while ago that they would be exonerated - remember that? - for their role as NOTW went defunct. However, as I said, they would not be and they were not - unlike your hopeful theory.
    " Match Fixing " ?[/QUOTE]

Ah excuse me. How dare I mix up spot fixing with match fixing.

One of them is apparently totally acceptable to some - as if just a side business to your main occupation - while the other is something worthy of jail. Right?

PATHETIC!!

Our own people are happily willing to forgive this kind of crap, no wonder our country is so poor.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes. It will be lifted. as part of the ban lifting, PCB will be writing to iCC & ECB to have this done. I'm sure he will be in the starting XI, come English '16 Summer

Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Yes I've heard that too.

However I've also heard that he is trying to get the deportation order 'lifted'.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ........And that would be the biggest mistake. I hope all 3 never come back but it looks like they will. Fair enough but don't be stupid enough to have their comeback games v England and especially not in England. Wait til Oct 16.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Would be very interesting if Asif returns, never mind Amir. The way Asif dismantled strong line ups pre-ban, one can only imagine what he'd do to the weak-techniqued sloggers of today. Considering the current best batsman in the world was was made to look like a Hafeez, albeit before his peak, I can only shudder at what Asif would do to the supposed guns of today .

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Saj bhai can we pls get the audio link of this,if possible?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like he got himself in some trouble with the PCB as a result of this interview.

http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/news/...re-controversy

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umer187 View Post
    @Saj bhai can we pls get the audio link of this,if possible?

As mentioned before, sometimes the audio isn't 100% clear that's why we don't publish it.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hashmist View Post
    Looks like he got himself in some trouble with the PCB as a result of this interview.

http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/news/...re-controversy
    Don't always believe everything you read in the media

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As mentioned before, sometimes the audio isn't 100% clear that's why we don't publish it.
    Ya that's why I wrote if possible. I mean pls publish them if they are audible

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammed Asif is yet to sign up for a T20 franchise. Amir has already played 6 T20 since return. I guess that explains alot. Nevertheless, Asif was a far precise and accurate bowler than Amir. The latter needed conditions to perform, whilst the former would just bowl at good-length all day long!
    Last edited by rhnmirza; 11th September 2015 at 05:32.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with almost everything that you have written, apart from the last bit about Butt as a batsman.

Have you seen how little Shehzad and the soon-to-be 35 year old Hafeez move their feet?

Hafeez could not even get his Test batting average up to 10.00 in South Africa at 32, and at almost 36 in England then New Zealand and finally Australia it is going to be much, much worse.
    Butt is hardly the panacea to our opening woes. Inshallah we will find someone else.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhnmirza View Post
    Mohammed Asif is yet to sign up for a T20 franchise. Amir has already played 6 T20 since return. I guess that explains alot. Nevertheless, Asif was a far precise and accurate bowler than Amir. The latter needed conditions to perform, whilst the former would just bowl at good-length all day long!
    Lahor shown already interest ,but pcb didnt let.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved watching Asif at his best, he was a magician with the ball. I don't care for him to come back much now, I'm looking forward to Amir returning

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Would he able to play in PSL?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to Asif.

But Mohammad Asif is almost 35 (official +2) and he will be making his comeback at the age of 36. I highly doubt that he will be half as effective at the age of 36 (if he does not use performance enhancement drugs).

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Long road ahead for Mohammad Asif and this time the journey will be even tougher due to his age.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Long road ahead for Mohammad Asif and this time the journey will be even tougher due to his age.
    Especially when the PCB's "Rehabiliation Program" - which was supposed to be provided by the PCB DURING the ban - has been cleverly tailored to prevent him from playing any First Class cricket before the tours of England, New Zealand and Australia next year.

It's a deliberate attempt to endure that he can't be selected before he is too old to be worth a place in the team.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He is a tough nut.

He will break the door and get selected by his list A performances in February. People say he is best in 4 and 5 day cricket. Yes he is.
    But he will surprise and shock viewers, readers, selectors and PCB by his performance in one day tournament. If he is a changed man than nothing can stop him from getting selected now even at this age. His body has not got through wear and tear fastbowlers body goes through in 5 years of using body taking toll.

Pcb now cannot create further hurdles. Ball is in Asif's and Almighty 's court now.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Especially when the PCB's "Rehabiliation Program" - which was supposed to be provided by the PCB DURING the ban - has been cleverly tailored to prevent him from playing any First Class cricket before the tours of England, New Zealand and Australia next year.

It's a deliberate attempt to endure that he can't be selected before he is too old to be worth a place in the team.
    Yes fair point.

The bottom line is that the PCB do not want to see Butt or Asif in a Pakistan shirt again.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Yes fair point.

The bottom line is that the PCB do not want to see Butt or Asif in a Pakistan shirt again.
    Yes, absolutely.

But they seem not to understand how monumentally useless your alternative right-arm quicks and openers are.

They are out of their minds. Delusional.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could have been an ATG test bowler, but threw it away.