Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    I wish I could be as optimistic as you. And you know what, being hopeful isn't a bad choice, it is hope and vision that powers revolution.

I love your description thing, "Alone we are Pathan, Punjabi, Sindhi and Balochi...together we are Pakistan". That's so true. However, unfortunately, nobody wants to be collectively Pakistani. Like I said in my previous post, Sindhi's vote for PPP and Zardari is never shy of talking about Sindhudesh. Altaf Hussain, the leading politician of Karachi whilst living in UK every so often threatens to exclude Karachi of Pakistan. KPK will easily take Pakhtunistan, a country just for Pashtuns instead of being Pakistani and Balochistan sends chills down my spine even to the mere thought. They even have a liberation army and because of funding from You Know Who, it is the inevitable reality that they will be first to gain independence.

(I hope I'm wrong tho)
    I agree with the general gist of your post and the previous one as well. However, one slight deviation, Altaf Hussian is no longer revered as some leader in Karachi. I personally have people on my Facebook list, educated people, who were lifetime voters of MQM (and Altaf by extension) because of the work it does in Karachi but after the anti-Pakistan statements by Altaf even they were like we will no longer support MQM if it continues to have Altaf as its leader. This also explains why MQM had to "dissociate" itself from Altaf and create a MQM-Pakistan which apparently has no connection with Altaf, since they were losing support FAST.

I fully expect MQM to lose their majority in the next elections if parties like PSP and PTI play their cards right. PTI already wins from affluent areas of the city (Defense and Clifton) but need more middle class penetration.

That being said, the slaves of interior Sindh will still vote for PPP if Zardari personally knocks on each of their houses and tells them he will steal every single penny they have. Such is the loyalty of those folks. My uncle who owns some farm land in interior Sindh was telling me of how before the 2013 elections he was talking to one of his managers who was cursing PPP in the worst possible day and the next day the same guy went and voted for PPP. How can you even expect to break this sort of loyalty??

Same with Punjab and Muslim League.

The less said about Baluchistan the better, as you aptly put the people wouldn't even know elections are going on.

The only province that has a habit of voting on merit is the KPK. They have no qualms in voting out a party if they do not meet the required governance standard. Also PTI is all set to retake the province and this time with even greater majority.

Demons run when a good man goes to war

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I agree with the general gist of your post and the previous one as well. However, one slight deviation, Altaf Hussian is no longer revered as some leader in Karachi. I personally have people on my Facebook list, educated people, who were lifetime voters of MQM (and Altaf by extension) because of the work it does in Karachi but after the anti-Pakistan statements by Altaf even they were like we will no longer support MQM if it continues to have Altaf as its leader. This also explains why MQM had to "dissociate" itself from Altaf and create a MQM-Pakistan which apparently has no connection with Altaf, since they were losing support FAST.

I fully expect MQM to lose their majority in the next elections if parties like PSP and PTI play their cards right. PTI already wins from affluent areas of the city (Defense and Clifton) but need more middle class penetration.
    I take it that you are from Karachi and thus your opinion holds a lot of weight. I hope you're right. Even I came across a few such people who stopped supporting Altaf Hussain after all the Anti-Pakistan talk. However, my reply is in your post itself. Unfortunately, people from the affluent areas (Clifton and Defense) form a very small percentage of a huge Karachi population. Imran Khan has a lot of people on each of his Jalsa's but that's because even a small percentage of such a huge population would still be quite a lot of people. No matter how IK play's his cards, winning the 2018 elections is impossible. And like I said before, even if he is able to garner the vote of these people, MQM will simply not let it happen. They will be at the voting stations. They will be outside our houses. Heck, they'll even have the voting books.

That being said, the slaves of interior Sindh will still vote for PPP if Zardari personally knocks on each of their houses and tells them he will steal every single penny they have. Such is the loyalty of those folks. My uncle who owns some farm land in interior Sindh was telling me of how before the 2013 elections he was talking to one of his managers who was cursing PPP in the worst possible day and the next day the same guy went and voted for PPP. How can you even expect to break this sort of loyalty??
    Exactly. It's pathetic too see this. I fail to understand why. The only reasonable conclusion and understanding I can come up with is that these people like being slaves. This is why I see no future.

Same with Punjab and Muslim League.

The less said about Baluchistan the better, as you aptly put the people wouldn't even know elections are going on.

The only province that has a habit of voting on merit is the KPK. They have no qualms in voting out a party if they do not meet the required governance standard. Also PTI is all set to retake the province and this time with even greater majority.
    I hope you're right about that. But, living in Pakistan for the past 5 years, I don't see much hope. As you may know, most Pakistani's are extremely proud of their caste, even more so than their identity - that is Pakistani. But Pakhtuns take this obsession to another level. They will support their bitterest of enemies if they get into a quarrel with a non pashtun. And that's the scary bit. ANP advocates for another country just for Pathans and have a lot of support. They have belittled IK by calling him a "wannabe Pathan" and that he doesn't even speak the language.

A lot of educated people, including many in my family have stopped supporting IK. A lot of people who voted for him have stopped supporting him. So, I don't think he really has any chance of winning too much anywhere. Perhaps in a few districts of KPK but that at most.
    Last edited by ExpressPacer; 20th March 2017 at 17:48.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Beijing, China
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know someone who won't win.

Imran the savior.

Good riddance too.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    HK/Sydney..heart is in Chach, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could be as optimistic as you. And you know what, being hopeful isn't a bad choice, it is hope and vision that powers revolution.

I love your description thing, "Alone we are Pathan, Punjabi, Sindhi and Balochi...together we are Pakistan". That's so true. However, unfortunately, nobody wants to be collectively Pakistani. Like I said in my previous post, Sindhi's vote for PPP and Zardari is never shy of talking about Sindhudesh. Altaf Hussain, the leading politician of Karachi whilst living in UK every so often threatens to exclude Karachi of Pakistan. KPK will easily take Pakhtunistan, a country just for Pashtuns instead of being Pakistani and Balochistan sends chills down my spine even to the mere thought. They even have a liberation army and because of funding from You Know Who, it is the inevitable reality that they will be first to gain independence.

(I hope I'm wrong tho)
    firstly, thanks for liking my description thing, another poster on another thread said it was discriminatory so im gonna tag him on here so he can see your comment (if i can work out how to do that!)

I understand what you are saying mate, that has bee the story of Pakistan the past 3 or so decades. My hope comes from the fact that the global game has changed and Pakistan as a state my also change if it wants to remain relevant at any level on the world stage. A opportunity has presented itself for the state to get back on track and i just feel like it is too good a opportunity to miss. That is where my hope comes from. Allah knows best mate, lets pray for a bright future for our beloved nation and may justice be served one way or another inshallah

Alone we are Pathan, Punjabi, Sindhi and Balochi...together we are Pakistan

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    I know someone who won't win.

Imran the savior.

Good riddance too.
    I look forward to interacting with you on here after 2018

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(I hope I'm wrong tho)
    @Slog

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Beijing, China
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corneredtiger85292 View Post
    I look forward to interacting with you on here after 2018
    I am not prophetic.

This is just based on common trends in Pakistan.

If he wins, then people want him and good for him.

But I get the feeling most people don't (asides from cricket fans and out of country Pakistanis).

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am not prophetic.

But I get the feeling most people don't (asides from cricket fans and out of country Pakistanis).
    Yes the 7 million who voted for him and his party were all cricket fans or overseas Pakistanis. Well done doctor shahab

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Singapore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am not prophetic.

Even if majority dont want him but they probably dont want Sharif or Bhuttos more. At the end of the day in Punjab and interior Sindh it does not matter as most people vote for waderas and thekdars so which ever party has them they win. The latest census probably if done properly going to take some power away from the rural to urban areas because of the population shift. All in all it will be an interesting election but like most I also don't think PTI will come into power. It will be too dangerous for all the other political parties if PTI comes into power and brings up all the crap they have done previously. So even if PTI becomes the party with most seats more likely PPP and pmln will join hands to form government.

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought"-JFK

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Beijing, China
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes the 7 million who voted for him and his party were all cricket fans or overseas Pakistanis. Well done doctor shahab
    Clearly the 7 million majority wasn't enough to overturn PML majority.

If you think 7 million is enough to win an election, good for you.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Beijing, China
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch Cricketer View Post
    Even if majority dont want him but they probably dont want Sharif or Bhuttos more. At the end of the day in Punjab and interior Sindh it does not matter as most people vote for waderas and thekdars so which ever party has them they win. The latest census probably if done properly going to take some power away from the rural to urban areas because of the population shift. All in all it will be an interesting election but like most I also don't think PTI will come into power. It will be too dangerous for all the other political parties if PTI comes into power and brings up all the crap they have done previously. So even if PTI becomes the party with most seats more likely PPP and pmln will join hands to form government.
    True.

Imran probably will lose to a PPP/PML-N formed coalition government.

But people here live in their own dream land where Imran is going to land in power just by winning a simple majority in elections (even if he does win the simple majority that is).

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not prophetic.

more important then anything is to stand on the right side of the fence. no one is perfect but there is clearly a right and wrong. one should make sure they are standing on the right side or they'll regret it eventually

Debut
    Jan 2003
    Venue
    MCG
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    True.

Imran probably will lose to a PPP/PML-N formed coalition government.

But people here live in their own dream land where Imran is going to land in power just by winning a simple majority in elections (even if he does win the simple majority that is).
    We supported him when he didn't even have 1 seat in parliament so it's not always about power. Whether you agree or not but he has changed total dynamics of Pakistani politics without being in power. Imagine Zardari and Nawaz fighting it out to become PM with deal makers like Maulana Fazal, ANP, MQM etc bargaining for their personal benefits.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Beijing, China
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waseem View Post
    We supported him when he didn't even have 1 seat in parliament so it's not always about power. Whether you agree or not but he has changed total dynamics of Pakistani politics without being in power. Imagine Zardari and Nawaz fighting it out to become PM with deal makers like Maulana Fazal, ANP, MQM etc bargaining for their personal benefits.
    It has been happening for last 20 years.

What difference does it make if it happens again?

The only thing that has changed in last 20 years is that Imran has succeeded in making PTI the 3rd largest of Pakistan.

Nothing else has changed much.