Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2022 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Most Test centuries by Non Asian in Asia (Graph)

Name:  Most centuries by Non Asian.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  70.7 KB

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cook is a fantastic player but second to Warner. Match-winners over match-savers.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kabul, Afghanistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChachaCricket View Post
    Cook is a fantastic player but second to Warner. Match-winners over match-savers.
    Warner was bullied in India to no end.

Cook has done well everywhere.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kabul, Afghanistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where is Ricky Ponting in this list?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Warner was bullied in India to no end.

Cook has done well everywhere.
    Warner hasn't played in India since his transformation.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kabul, Afghanistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

..nd Viv Richards?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He won't do well. He kept getting bowled by Kumar on the last tour, didn't even make it to Ashwin and the spin attack.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    He won't do well. He kept getting bowled by Kumar on the last tour, didn't even make it to Ashwin and the spin attack.
    He did well against Yasir and Babar. India is a tougher tour because of the SG ball but I expect him to score.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He did well against Yasir and Babar. India is a tougher tour because of the SG ball but I expect him to score.
    He has to prove so in the next tour then. In the meantime, don't count your chickens before they hatch and say that he's transformed after pounding a few runs on Australian drop-ins.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    He has to prove so in the next tour then. In the meantime, don't count your chickens before they hatch and say that he's transformed after pounding a few runs on Australian drop-ins.
    543 runs in South Africa in 3 matches, 400+ in England's Ashes, 238 in UAE in 2 matches.

Don't speak on things you know nothing about.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    804 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    He played India in Australia after transformation.

Averaged 30 in Australia in our last tour in 2014/2015 in the games Ashwin played.

On COMPLETE PATTAS.

3 games. 6 innings. 3 to Ashwin. 2 times to Yadav. 1 to Ishant.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...g;view=innings

Would have been DESTROYED in India.

Cook wins in Asia. By a mile.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 15th October 2015 at 16:37.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    He played India in Australia after transformation.

Averaged 30 in Australia in our last tour in 2014/2015 in the games Ashwin played.

On COMPLETE PATTAS.

3 games.

Would have been CLOBBERED in India.

3 to Ashwin. 2 times to Yadav. 1 to Ishant.

Cook wins in Asia. By a mile.
    His transformation started after the 2013 Ashes tour. He toured India as a raw opener.

I wasn't comparing them in Asia only but their overall impact. And I clarified why I prefer Warner.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Happy for Cook.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2022 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

..nd Viv Richards?
    Ricky = 5
    Sir Viv = 4

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    804 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    His transformation started after the 2013 Ashes tour. He toured India as a raw opener.

I wasn't comparing them in Asia only but their overall impact. And I clarified why I prefer Warner.
    Yes but those are stats in Australia after his 2013 transformation.

Against spin...he has that Watson like effect. Looks a million bucks but gets out.

Got your main point from your first post itself.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Yes but those are stats in Australia after his 2013 transformation.

Against spin...he has that Watson like effect. Looks a million bucks but gets out.

Got your main point from your first post itself.
    I'm not gonna judge based on stats in Australia. If he fails in India, I'll be the first to admit it.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Second to Warner , someone who lacks the fundamental skill and fight of a Test batsman - battling it out for long periods of time, his inability to occupy the crease was a big problem for Australia in the Ashes.

No opener of the last 10 years is even comparable to Cookie Monster, except for Smith who is obviously better at this point, but the former has the time on his side to overtake him.

Warner can compete if he conquers England in England and India in India like Cookie Monster, so far the highlight of his career is runs in South Africa over three Tests.

He has failed in India, England and even on the dry and sticky wickets of the Caribbean. He did well in the UAE but based on one innings only.

To put them in same sentence as of today is frankly a joke.

I think both represent too extremes - Warner is the most overrated non-Pakistani cricketer on PakPassion, while Cookie Monster is definitely the most underrated.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cook is very underrated. he is way better than warner.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm not gonna judge based on stats in Australia. If he fails in India, I'll be the first to admit it.
    Bhai let it go. There's a difference of class between Cook n him. Former has done well everywhere. Stop getting impressed by a few brisk knocks.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Bhai let it go. There's a difference of class between Cook n him. Former has done well everywhere. Stop getting impressed by a few brisk knocks.
    Lol Few brisk knocks? hahaha 12 hundreds(8 of them in wins), 19 fifties(10 in wins) in 43 matches.

Dude's a match winner. Cook never win matches like him and similarly he can't save matches like Cook.

Like I said I prefer match-winners over match-savers. I can't help it if some people are aroused by tuktuk, it's their personal choice.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Bay area, CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see hundreds per test innings played in Asia for the top 5 hundred getters in addition to the total centuries.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote for Allan Border

During Border's period Pakistan & india have had their best bowling attacks & the contributions from home umpires were also there so if to look at stats he might not be the best but in quality he was the best.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Warner is a good shot-player on flat decks but is exposed against the swinging, seaming or turning ball.

Cook has a problem against quick stuff outside off-stump when the ball is moving but he is a very good player of spin.

I would argue that matches are not won by Warner anyway, because he does not really go on far past 100. You want a big innings.
    Last edited by Robert; 16th October 2015 at 05:20.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kallis couldn't score a hundred in SL v Murali.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Warner is pretty much the Aussie version of Sehwag. Will win you matches on flat beds because he dominates opposition bowling from the beginning. I don't think he's comparable to Cook yet but having an explosive opener even in tests has its merits. Graeme Smith still better than either of them

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Amla has an amazing record overseas from around 2009.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Warner is a good shot-player on flat decks but is exposed against the swinging, seaming or turning ball.

Cook has a problem against quick stuff outside off-stump when the ball is moving but he is a very good player of spin.

I would argue that matches are not won by Warner anyway, because he does not really go on far past 100. You want a big innings.
    Yes Warner can't play swing, seam or turn but miraculously scored 400+ runs in the Ashes. 6-7 of his dismissals were Warner getting himself out against Moeen or playing that stupid flick shot trying to run it down to fine leg. About 2-3 were due to swing and seam lol.

Can't play turn but somehow scored a ton against Yasir and Babar. He's yet to face India since tightening up his defense.

I would argue when Warner scores a ton there is no way back for the opposition to come back into the game and they play to draw the game from day 1. You know why I would argue that? Because I watched most of his tons and that's exactly what happened.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Warner can't play swing, seam or turn but miraculously scored 400+ runs in the Ashes. 6-7 of his dismissals were Warner getting himself out against Moeen or playing that stupid flick shot trying to run it down to fine leg. About 2-3 were due to swing and seam lol.

Can't play turn but somehow scored a ton against Yasir and Babar. He's yet to face India since tightening up his defense.

I would argue when Warner scores a ton there is no way back for the opposition to come back into the game and they play to draw the game from day 1. You know why I would argue that? Because I watched most of his tons and that's exactly what happened.
    Hes been a bit exposed with his weakness to a shortish ball at his rib cage though to be honest. Fire one in there every so often and it won't take long for him to send one flying sky high.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam1 View Post
    Hes been a bit exposed with his weakness to a shortish ball at his rib cage though to be honest. Fire one in there every so often and it won't take long for him to send one flying sky high.
    Try bowling there in Australia and he'd pull you for six. It was more an instinctive problem in England.

England put two fielders back at fine leg and square of the wicket to take the aerial shot away which was a good ploy. He was pulling that ball quite easily for singles and naturally being such an aggressive player instinct would take over and he'd be caught inbetween running it down. Only one of his dismissals was actually getting bounced out, against Finn IIRC.

If Warner has a problem, it's temperament. But considering where he started, he's improved massively and being such a hard worker I don't see why he wouldn't improve further.
    Last edited by ChachaCricket; 16th October 2015 at 06:31.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cook has performed everywhere.he has a near bradmanseque record in asia.it is criminal to rate him anything less than modern great.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    873 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Amla will give Cook a run for his money in Asia. He will feast on these Indian bowlers in Tests.

"You come at the King. You best not miss."

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ponting was a flop player in Asia. He avgs. 23 in India. If say Sachin avgd. in mid 20s in Aust, people would have given him a lot of flak but surprised no one brings Ponting's credentials in Asia. This is the reason I always rate Ponting a notch below Sachin/Lara and put him on par with Dravid/Kallis.

Also check this funny irony, Sehwag avgs 40 in Aust but he is a FTB. Ponting avgs 23 in India but he is an ATG

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian_Supporter View Post
    Ponting was a flop player in Asia. He avgs. 23 in India. If say Sachin avgd. in mid 20s in Aust, people would have given him a lot of flak but surprised no one brings Ponting's credentials in Asia. This is the reason I always rate Ponting a notch below Sachin/Lara and put him on par with Dravid/Kallis.

Also check this funny irony, Sehwag avgs 40 in Aust but he is a FTB. Ponting avgs 23 in India but he is an ATG

Sehwag failed in SA,NZ and Eng. Averages in his 20's there.

Yes Ponting was bad in India, but he had other strengths that SRT/Lara didnt. I would rate him ahead of Dravid.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warner's best innings by balls count is 197 IIRC. But Cook is going to bat for 197 overs it seems.

Nothing

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian_Supporter View Post

Unfortunately for you, Asia is not equal to India.

Ponting has done very well in Bangladesh, Pakistan, UAE and Sri Lanka. His overall Asian average is 42.

And cricket is over stats, anyone who knows cricket can see Ponting was a very very good player of spin.

His last ODI kock in Asia, the quarter final innings vs India was played on a hell of a spinning track and he probably played the innings of the world cup scoring a hundred.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Over 60% of Cook's Test centuries have come in matches that England have won.

Sounds like a match-winner to me.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Over 60% of Cook's Test centuries have come in matches that England have won.

Sounds like a match-winner to me.
    14 out of 28 including this one. 15 out of 44 50s.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    400 runs in five tests is a good return bu three of those matches were on Aussie-style flatties offering no seam and turn, in warm days without much humidity to assist swing. So the FTB tag stands.

Plus, no long innings which were significant in forcing wins.

Cook on the other hand plays innings which result in wins and defensive shutouts too.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    400 runs in five tests is a good return bu three of those matches were on Aussie-style flatties offering no seam and turn, in warm days without much humidity to assist swing. So the FTB tag stands.

Plus, no long innings which were significant in forcing wins.

Cook on the other hand plays innings which result in wins and defensive shutouts too.
    His 85 in the 5th test was against a potent opening spell where the ball swung wildly beating the bat countless times. It was a wonderful display of excellent technique from Warner and Rogers. The 100+ opening stand laid the platform for Smith to score his 100 whom otherwise would've been back in the pavilion had Warner or Rogers been dismissed cheaply. Australia would've bundled for 250 again and England would've won 4-1.

I watched all 5 matches, the only flat pitch was Lords. It seamed in every other match. And I've never seen the Dukes ball swing so wildly throughout a series in the last 10 years. I don't know what Ashes you were watching.

Warner outscored Cook in his own backyard so if the former is an FTB then what does that make Cook? Lol. And that's game ladies and gentlemen.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not sure how this became warner vs cook, both have their place in test cricket as far as i can see but they really are too different to be comparable, from an aussie pov i would kill to have cook when going to asia i can say that for sure, you simply need somebody in the top 3 who can bat 3+ sessions if you are going to stay alive in a series in asia and we just don't have that.

The games you don't lose in asia are as vital as the ones you win.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trogger View Post
    Not sure how this became warner vs cook, both have their place in test cricket as far as i can see but they really are too different to be comparable, from an aussie pov i would kill to have cook when going to asia i can say that for sure, you simply need somebody in the top 3 who can bat 3+ sessions if you are going to stay alive in a series in asia and we just don't have that.

The games you don't lose in asia are as vital as the ones you win.
    Bancroft did well in the recent Indian tour. He'd be an ideal partner for Warner. Australia should fast track him, no point wasting time on TTFs.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Most centuries by an overseas player in India now.

The records keep on coming for Cook. What an incredible Test opener.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Most centuries by an overseas player in India now.

The records keep on coming for Cook. What an incredible Test opener.
    Yes he's incredible. However, the easy pitches he's mostly got has helped the cause.

In the UAE too, where he scored a double was a lifeless pitch. Anyways, not taking credit away from his ability to play spin, which is one of the better ones in the world right now.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of the great players of the modern era.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    758 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Cook is not the ideal opener. He's great against spin but mediocre against pace and someone like that shouldn't be opening the batting outside the subcontinent.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    One of the great players of the modern era.
    Agreed. Love to see Cook haters served humble pies time after time. People were so angry with him leading up to our English tour because of the comments he made on Amir that he'd have to deal with crowd reactions, which was right.

You'd see folks saying "hope Amir demolishes him" and other things. But that series was the most fluent I've seen him play in a while.

Same thing here.

On the path to greatness.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    957 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Cook is not the ideal opener. He's great against spin but mediocre against pace and someone like that shouldn't be opening the batting outside the subcontinent.
    Lmao what?

Is this guy for real? Did you type this out with a straight face?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cook's pretty much the ideal test opener. And his style of cautious batting is perfect for Asian conditions.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Champion opener. Can still remember waking up to watch his debut.

Should finish his career with close to 40 centuries at least. In this era he's one of the cricketers I respect the most. Went through a difficult period as captain where the critiscm he was getting was a joke, also in 2010 he survived a lean patch and got that century for vs us and never looked back.

A strong chracter and a good human being. Should finish his career as an atg opener.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4688 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Hope he can carry on for the next 5 years and get 15K test runs.

Deserves it.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best non Asian opener for Asian conditions.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cook > SRT in Tests.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Look at his record and stats, then decide if he's not an ideal opener.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Most Test runs by a non-Asian batsman in Asia - Alastair Cook 2492

Most Test 100s by a non-Asian batsman in Asia - Alastair Cook 9

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Yes he's incredible. However, the easy pitches he's mostly got has helped the cause.

In the UAE too, where he scored a double was a lifeless pitch. Anyways, not taking credit away from his ability to play spin, which is one of the better ones in the world right now.
    Even most Asian batsmen struggle for consistency on rank turners. Unblemished records are rare to find.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He's an ATG Test opener, well ahead of other openers of his time. Warner cannot be compared with him who is a walking wicket unless the pitches are roads.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Easily the best opener of our times. What a champion player.

Always been a fan of him. #ATG

We don't pray for love, we just pray for cars

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Lmao what?

Bilal may have exaggerated it like he always does.

But Cook is actually vulnerable against quality pacers just around the off stump. I know it's a clichéd statement for any batsman, but he actually pokes his bat out a lot outside off against quality pacers.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    Bilal may have exaggerated it like he always does.

But Cook is actually vulnerable against quality pacers just around the off stump. I know it's a clichéd statement for any batsman, but he actually pokes his bat out a lot outside off against quality pacers.
    Who do you rate more in Tests? Cook / SRT?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Who do you rate more in Tests? Cook / SRT?
    Lol not even a comparison.

I rate Amla better than Cook.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    10,000+ runs, 30 centuries and won his team series in India and Australia with his batting, while leading them to a series win as captain in South Africa.

All of this before the age of 32. What a career he has had, and he still has plenty of years left.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    A simply outstanding record in Asia from Alastair Cook, one of their best ever players of spin.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I decided to see if Cook's played more games than others on the list. Here are the stats of batsmen relative to number of games played in Asia, and minus minnows. Ponting comes out looking the worse.

Cook

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 39
    Average: 57
    Number of tons: 7
    Innings per ton: 5.5

Viv

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 38
    Average: 44
    Number of tons: 4
    Innings per ton: 9.5

Border

Average: 54
    Number of tons: 6
    Innings per ton: 6.5

Amla

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 35
    Innings per ton: 5

Kallis

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 41
    Number of tons: 8
    Innings per ton: 5.1

Lara

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 26
    Average: 58.8
    Number of tons: 5
    Innings per ton: 5.2

Ponting

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 45
    Average: 39
    Innings per ton: 11.25

I expect Cook to hit one or two more tons by the time this latest series is over.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Amla will give Cook a run for his money in Asia. He will feast on these Indian bowlers in Tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by PB69 View Post
    I think Amla has an amazing record overseas from around 2009.
    AB too need a mention here

AB avg's 54 with around 1750 runs in asia n amla avg's 52 with 1800

Last series they both batted in one of the toughest indian wicket ever,thats slightly dropped their reputation though

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    758 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Lmao what?

He averages in the low 30s in New Zealand and South Africa and his failures against genuine pace are well documented. Has been inconsistent against swing and seam as well.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    San Antonio, TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMatch View Post
    I decided to see if Cook's played more games than others on the list. Here are the stats of batsmen relative to number of games played in Asia, and minus minnows. Ponting comes out looking the worse.

Cook

Innings per ton: 5.5

Viv

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 38
    Average: 44
    Innings per ton: 9.5

Border

Number of tons: 6
    Innings per ton: 6.5

Amla

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 35
    Innings per ton: 5

Kallis

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 41
    Number of tons: 8
    Innings per ton: 5.1

Lara

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 26
    Average: 58.8
    Number of tons: 5
    Innings per ton: 5.2

Ponting

Number of innings in Asia minus minnows: 45
    Average: 39
    Innings per ton: 11.25

I expect Cook to hit one or two more tons by the time this latest series is over.
    10,000+ runs, 30 centuries and won his team series in India and Australia with his batting, while leading them to a series win as captain in South Africa.

All of this before the age of 32. What a career he has had, and he still has plenty of years left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Look at his record and stats, then decide if he's not an ideal opener.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Agreed. Love to see Cook haters served humble pies time after time. People were so angry with him leading up to our English tour because of the comments he made on Amir that he'd have to deal with crowd reactions, which was right.

You'd see folks saying "hope Amir demolishes him" and other things. But that series was the most fluent I've seen him play in a while.

Same thing here.

On the path to greatness.
    IMO Cook is overrated - not as an opener but as a batsman in general.

His stats are good but not great by any means - esp his average of 47.12 which is even below KP's test average.

Now I understand that cricket is not played on Excel but when his contemporaries have played just as many good knocks and some, in fact, even better - it is hard to argue Cook's case for being an ATG.

Not in Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Kallis or Sanga's category for sure. His less than stellar ODI record also pushes him down a notch.

Certainly a modern day great opener but not ATG imo. Many of his records are now based on longevity...

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    IMO Cook is overrated - not as an opener but as a batsman in general.

His stats are good but not great by any means - esp his average of 47.12 which is even below KP's test average.

Now I understand that cricket is not played on Excel but when his contemporaries have played just as many good knocks and some, in fact, even better - it is hard to argue Cook's case for being an ATG.

Not in Sachin, Lara, Ponting, Kallis or Sanga's category for sure. His less than stellar ODI record also pushes him down a notch.

Certainly a modern day great opener but not ATG imo. Many of his records are now based on longevity...
    Not many people rate him as an ATG, so you can't say he is overrated.

An average of 47 is excellent for an opener, especially considering that he opens in England and has excellent stats all over the world.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He is a very good opener, easily the best since 2010. The comparison with Warner is ridiculous. Warner is nowhere near Cook at the moment. This said, Cook is not perfect either but he is still the best at the moment.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Second to Warner , someone who lacks the fundamental skill and fight of a Test batsman - battling it out for long periods of time, his inability to occupy the crease was a big problem for Australia in the Ashes.

No opener of the last 10 years is even comparable to Cookie Monster, except for Smith who is obviously better at this point, but the former has the time on his side to overtake him.

Warner can compete if he conquers England in England and India in India like Cookie Monster, so far the highlight of his career is runs in South Africa over three Tests.

He has failed in India, England and even on the dry and sticky wickets of the Caribbean. He did well in the UAE but based on one innings only.

To put them in same sentence as of today is frankly a joke.

I think both represent too extremes - Warner is the most overrated non-Pakistani cricketer on PakPassion, while Cookie Monster is definitely the most underrated.
    Taking a page from your book here.

Since most of the fans from Asia care about ODI World Cup more than test cricket, therefore, Warner is rated higher than Cook because he was a part of 2015 World Cup winning team. On the other hand Cook's legacy is getting dropped right before the World Cup because he was not good enough to be on the team.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Asia it's a no-contest, Cook by far over Warner.

Outside of Asia I would pick Warner everywhere.

I smash and grab and stash the cash in plastic bags
    With raps that have pizzazz

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Taking a page from your book here.

Since most of the fans from Asia care about ODI World Cup more than test cricket, therefore, Warner is rated higher than Cook because he was a part of 2015 World Cup winning team. On the other hand Cook's legacy is getting dropped right before the World Cup because he was not good enough to be on the team.
    Your post is wrong on many accounts because you have misunderstood.

The poster to whom I replied called Warner a better Test opener than Cook, which I'd absolute nonsense.

Across all formats, yes Warner is much better because Cook is only a Test player.

In terms of legacies, even though Cook is a Test player only, he's well ahead of Warner at this point because he's an ATG Test opener while Warner hasn't achieved much yet.

Even in Australia's World Cup triumph, Warner didn't have much of an impact except one innings vs a minnow.

The Cook vs Warner debate is not the same as McGrath/Wasim vs Donald for instance, so it's not a leaf from my book.

World Cup glory or success in Limited Overs doesn't transform from a decent player into a legend, but if you have two ATG players and one of them didn't do much in World Cups while the other help his team win, the latter is the one who is remembered most.

Right now, Warner is a good player but not even an Australian great, while Cook is a modern day great.

Comparing these two is like comparing Donald to Lee. While Lee played a role in helping his team to World Cup glory, he is still well below Donald, because the latter is an ATG while the former isn't.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
    In Asia it's a no-contest, Cook by far over Warner.

Outside of Asia I would pick Warner everywhere.
    I would pick Warner only a proper flat track with pace and bounce. If there is some spin, swing or seam, he's useless.

He's the biggest flat track bully in the world, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It makes him the most dangerous match-winner on flat wickets and we get a lot of them. In some ways, he's like a poor man's Sehwag.

Cook's attritional style is a bit of a hindrance on flat wickets, but he's a classical opener who just bats and bats for days.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But 47 is great for an opener. A couple more good years and he will rival Gavaskar.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What an amazing cricketer, Cook, deserves the status that he has achieved. Definitely a legend of the game and is only 32, unbelievable cricketer.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    @msb314

Average of 47 for an opener is as good as a 50+ average for a middle-order batsman. Compare the number of 50+ averaging openers in history to the number of 50+ averaging middle-order batsmen and you will get your answer.

On top of that, he plays more than half of his Tests in England which is the toughest place to open, which is why his away average is actually higher than his home average.

He is not overrated at all; he is a master batsman who is one of the best Test openers of all time, and perhaps the fittest cricketer too. He has played 130+ Tests in 10 years and is never injured and still manages to bat for longer periods than anyone else and has the best powers of concentration.

Yes not playing much Limited Overs cricket has helped, but playing 130+ Tests in 10 years is no mean feat. His record in SA and NZ is poor, but everyone is allowed a bogey venue/team or two. He would definitely have had a 50+ career average if he was a number 3 or number 4, but he can still get there if he has a really big year again.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @msb314

Average of 47 for an opener is as good as a 50+ average for a middle-order batsman. Compare the number of 50+ averaging openers in history to the number of 50+ averaging middle-order batsmen and you will get your answer.

On top of that, he plays more than half of his Tests in England which is the toughest place to open, which is why his away average is actually higher than his home average.

He is not overrated at all; he is a master batsman who is one of the best Test openers of all time, and perhaps the fittest cricketer too. He has played 130+ Tests in 10 years and is never injured and still manages to bat for longer periods than anyone else and has the best powers of concentration.

Yes not playing much Limited Overs cricket has helped, but playing 130+ Tests in 10 years is no mean feat. His record in SA and NZ is poor, but everyone is allowed a bogey venue/team or two. He would definitely have had a 50+ career average if he was a number 3 or number 4, but he can still get there if he has a really big year again.
    He doesn't play T20s and rarely plays ODIs. His fitness is excellent but his workload is low compared to others who play all 3 formats.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    His 85 in the 5th test was against a potent opening spell where the ball swung wildly beating the bat countless times. It was a wonderful display of excellent technique from Warner and Rogers. The 100+ opening stand laid the platform for Smith to score his 100 whom otherwise would've been back in the pavilion had Warner or Rogers been dismissed cheaply. Australia would've bundled for 250 again and England would've won 4-1.

I watched all 5 matches, the only flat pitch was Lords. It seamed in every other match. And I've never seen the Dukes ball swing so wildly throughout a series in the last 10 years. I don't know what Ashes you were watching.

Warner outscored Cook in his own backyard so if the former is an FTB then what does that make Cook? Lol. And that's game ladies and gentlemen.
    @Cheif Destroyer

One year on and nothing has changed, looks like it is game, set and match the other way round. He was a disaster in Sri Lanka and has failed in the ongoing Test on the greenish pitch. He simply cannot score big unless it is a proper flat track.

Also failed in NZ earlier this year (right after destroying them at home) where he was repeatedly found chasing wide deliveries with glued feet.

Time to reconsider your opinion Chacha.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    He doesn't play T20s and rarely plays ODIs. His fitness is excellent but his workload is low compared to others who play all 3 formats.

Yes I have accounted for that already. However, 130+ Tests in 10 years is still incredible, especially when he has also faced the most number of deliveries in this time period by a massive margin. Of course it has a direct relationship with the number of matches he has played, but it says a lot about his fitness levels.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pick Warner only a proper flat track with pace and bounce. If there is some spin, swing or seam, he's useless.

He's the biggest flat track bully in the world, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It makes him the most dangerous match-winner on flat wickets and we get a lot of them. In some ways, he's like a poor man's Sehwag.

Cook's attritional style is a bit of a hindrance on flat wickets, but he's a classical opener who just bats and bats for days.
    That's generally what you get in Australia, and I think you're being unkind to Warner, he has played top knocks on grassy wickets before, like Hobart 2011. Also he has dominated in South Africa.

Basically Cook wins in the northern hemisphere and Warner in the southern hemisphere.

I smash and grab and stash the cash in plastic bags
    With raps that have pizzazz

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    how many ATGs exactly do people think there are in cricket these days? it seems people are calling every other guy a potential ATG. the title ATG needs to be reserved for the top 1-2% of the game, not everybody who averages 50+.

cook is an ATG tho.