Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
    That's generally what you get in Australia, and I think you're being unkind to Warner, he has played top knocks on grassy wickets before, like Hobart 2011. Also he has dominated in South Africa.

Basically Cook wins in the northern hemisphere and Warner in the southern hemisphere.
    Yes the SA series is his one saving grace, but generally his failure rate against swing, seam and spin is way too high to be considered in the same class as Cook.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Another series in Asia, another disaster for Warner. An out of form Cook struggling against Jadeja still looked a class apart from 'the best Test opener in the world'.

Still 3 innings to go though, let's see if he can come good for once. His rookie partner has schooled him on how to grind it out but he hasn't learned anything from him so far.

Some people have the audacity to call Kohli overrated while this guy is still playing, but then the same people call him the best Test opener in the world.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Cook was probably England's worst batsman in India, out of all the players who played the entire series. Pretty awkward when a Cook fan bumps this thread to hate on Warner.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Warner is an FTB. Doesn't have the tempremeant and technique to score outside of his comfort zone in tests.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The best test opener award now goes to Azhar Ali. Hope he gets a big one in the West Indies to really drive the point home. Don't think Cook will remain the best test opener in England, by the end of the next Ashes. Haseeb Hameed is the real deal.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    From memory Cook averaged 35 in India which is decent if not great. Of course, it was overshadowed by Root - the guy projected as the heir apparent - and of course, the 4-0 near whitewash which was the series result.

Warner is a classic FTB who like all Australian batsmen not named Smith can't score outside Aus or SA. Nothing new there.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to move on from Cook and Warner.
    Quite a few openers from the younger generation have been impressive and in a matter of 2 yrs time they will emerge as best openers in the world.The likes of Azhar Ali, Dean Elgar and KL Rahul being the prominent ones.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Cook was probably England's worst batsman in India, out of all the players who played the entire series. Pretty awkward when a Cook fan bumps this thread to hate on Warner.
    Yeah you missed the point. Cook didn't do well and struggled especially against Jadeja, but he was still far better than Warner.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    KL Rahul is the next big thing as far as opening in Test cricket is concerned. He is a complete package - can grind it out as well as take the attack to the opposition. His temperament isn't unflappable like Cook and neither is he destructive like Warner, but he is a complete, all-round opener.

Haseeb and Renshaw are good too, but very limited compared to KL Rahul.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Time to move on from Cook and Warner.
    Quite a few openers from the younger generation have been impressive and in a matter of 2 yrs time they will emerge as best openers in the world.The likes of Azhar Ali, Dean Elgar and KL Rahul being the prominent ones.
    I think the new English opener Haseeb and Aussie opener Renshaw will come good too in few years.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    I think the new English opener Haseeb and Aussie opener Renshaw will come good too in few years.
    Would still back Rahul to become India's 2nd greatest opener of all time.

Renshaw would need to tighten his game vs pace a bit in tests. Would like to see more of Haseeb before concluding on him.

Elgar is underrated too. Very impressive till now.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 18th March 2017 at 10:34.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renshaw would need to tighten his game vs pace a bit in tests. Would like to see more of Haseeb before concluding on him.
    yeah Rahul is superb.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    That would be Sehwag. Assuming Gavaskar is #1.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    He has the potential to surpass Sehwag.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    To surpass Sehwag, Rahul would have to avg close to 50 and perform in most of the conditions. I find him a complete package and the guy has got huge potential. He can score fast, grind it out, play all kinds of bowling and in all conditions. He has shown glimpses and now its to be seen how far he goes in his career.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    To surpass Sehwag, Rahul would have to avg close to 50 and perform in most of the conditions. I find him a complete package and the guy has got huge potential. He can score fast, grind it out, play all kinds of bowling and in all conditions. He has shown glimpses and now its to be seen how far he goes in his career.
    And he should be picked and perform in LoI cricket too.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Sehwag was a joker whenever the ball moved an inch. Doesn't take much to surpass him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Yeah you missed the point. Cook didn't do well and struggled especially against Jadeja, but he was still far better than Warner.
    Everyone knows Warner is a FTB, in all three formats. How he has managed to do well in South Africa is a mystery. Cook overall is a much better opener.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sehwag was a joker whenever the ball moved an inch. Doesn't take much to surpass him.
    Oh pls..you are talking about the guy who is arguably the second greatest odi opener after Gavaskar to have come from Asia.

And I dont need to recall you about a certain ATG who danced and hopped all the way making himself look like a joker only in his recent overseas tours.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1099 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Oh pls..you are talking about the guy who is arguably the second greatest odi opener after Gavaskar to have come from Asia.

And I dont need to recall you about a certain ATG who danced and hopped all the way making himself look like a joker only in his recent overseas tours.

Yeah that ATG still managed a double in England on his last legs though...

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)

Everyone knows Warner is a FTB, in all three formats. How he has managed to do well in South Africa is a mystery. Cook overall is a much better opener.
    SA pitches are ideal for a player like him, and the fact that Steyn is not great against left-handers helped him.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I think you mean tests. Gavasker was an awful ODI batsman. There is nothing arguable about it, Sehwag isn't the second best Asian opener.

You must be kidding me. Younis Khan scored a double ij England, more runs than Kohli has managed in his entire career thus far, and nearly got another double in Australia. He also has a century in South Africa. This is one of the most ignorant comments I have read.

Sehwag has averages befitting tail-enders in any country that has even a modicum of swing or seam on display. His fourth innings average in Asia is pretty average as well.

If you put 100 tests beside Warner's name and move his stats from Australia to India column, you get Sehwag.

SA pitches are ideal for a player like him, and the fact that Steyn is not great against left-handers helped him.
    The swing and seam certainly isn't. However, we can just write it off as a one-off. Taufeeq Umar looked amazing against Donald in SA, after all.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think you mean tests. Gavasker was an awful ODI batsman. There is nothing arguable about it, Sehwag isn't the second best Asian opener.

You must be kidding me. Younis Khan scored a double ij England, more runs than Kohli has managed in his entire career thus far, and nearly got another double in Australia. He also has a century in South Africa. This is one of the most ignorant comments I have read.

Sehwag has averages befitting tail-enders in any country that has even a modicum of swing or seam on display. His fourth innings average in Asia is pretty average as well.

If you put 100 tests beside Warner's name and move his stats from Australia to India column, you get Sehwag.

The swing and seam certainly isn't. However, we can just write it off as a one-off. Taufeeq Umar looked amazing against Donald in SA, after all.
    Sehwag too has centuries in Oz, SA and Eng.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes, I mean tests only.Odis was a typo mistake.I dont think most would disagree the fact that he is the second best test opener to come from Asia. Hanif Mohammad is comparable but one won't go wrong either way. Haven't seen him so cant debate on him. Sehwag was perhaps the biggest match winner of all time in Asian conditions with the bat. He won us a series against you guys in Pakistan.

I wasn't comparing their overall output in overseas conditions but was comparing their ability to play in pacer friendly conditions as the debate was about how they looked in pace friendly conditions. There is no denying in the fact that he hopped and danced against merely good bowling attack in England and was a walking wicket in seamer friendly NZ wicket. However, I credit him for his ability to dig in and keep worth for his wicket rather than throwing away like Sehwag used to do.

Younis double hundred came on a typical SC kind of dry wicket with not much assistance to seamers as other England venues offer. Same about his knock in Sydney.

As for fourth inning, I am not interested in those stats. Sehwag's 88 vs England in 4th inning was something very few can do.

On the whole, it does take something for a player to surpass Sehwag.Not many are ahead of him among 2000s era batsmen.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 19th March 2017 at 12:35.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, I mean tests only.Odis was a typo mistake.I dont think most would disagree the fact that he is the second best test opener to come from Asia. Hanif Mohammad is comparable but one won't go wrong either way. Haven't seen him so cant debate on him. Sehwag was perhaps the biggest match winner of all time in Asian conditions with the bat. He won us a series against you guys in Pakistan.

I wasn't comparing their overall output in overseas conditions but was comparing their ability to play in pacer friendly conditions as the debate was about how they looked in pace friendly conditions. There is no denying in the fact that he hopped and danced against merely good bowling attack in England and was a walking wicket in seamer friendly NZ wicket. However, I credit him for his ability to dig in and keep worth for his wicket rather than throwing away like Sehwag used to do.

Younis double hundred came on a typical SC kind of dry wicket with not much assistance to seamers as other England venues offer. Same about his knock in Sydney.

As for fourth inning, I am not interested in those stats. Sehwag's 88 vs England in 4th inning was something very few can do.

On the whole, it does take something for a player to surpass Sehwag.Not many are ahead of him among 2000s era batsmen.
    Younis Khan is not an elegant player. He gets his runs in an ugly fashion but the most important thing is that he does. No one stopped Sehwag from doing a bhangra on the pitch and get his average in England above 50, instead of letting it wallow in tail-ender territory.

I don't really rate him highly. Yes, he was great in Asia but useless whenever the ball moved an inch. I would much rather have a batsman who averages 50 at home and 40 away, rather than one who averages 60 at home and 20 away, but bats at a great SR. SR rarely matters in test matches and when it does, most test batsmen can crank it up and bat fluently.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Yes the SA series is his one saving grace, but generally his failure rate against swing, seam and spin is way too high to be considered in the same class as Cook.
    Cook has failed against every class pace attack he has played against.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Cook has failed against every class pace attack he has played against.
    His struggles against high class pace are well-known, but at some point in his career, he has scored runs everywhere. In addition, he is one of the greatest overseas batsman in Asia ever, if not the greatest. Warner literally owes his Test career to Australian and South African pitches, and is nobody in Test cricket compared to Cook.