Instagram

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Imran Khan or Wasim Akram your pick as a Test bowler?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Imran Khan

57 57.00%
  • Wasim Akram

43 43.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all the supposed Magic, Talent, Wizardry, Genius etc. etc. Akram, in the format that matters i.e. Tests, he barely got close to Imran's stats; this despite the fact that Imran roughly played 8-10 tests purely as a batmsan or Batsman+Skipper!

In last 2-3 years: 89-91, if you compare balls bowled per match vs his average career, it tells the story of a great bowler who was struggling with form, fittness, injuries (taking injections to play), and advancing age. Yet, the fact that Imran's number still look better despite being the less talented, he clearly beat Waseem in ever single categoy.

Biggest ones obviously the Career Average, SR, and most importantly Wickets per match: Imran at 4.11 vs Akram barely at 3.98, not even exactly 4 wickets a match, despite bowling being his main role in the team.

All this despite Imran being at the advanced age of 41-42 in his last game vs Akram at barely 34; this shows the commitment, dedication, hard work etc. put in by Imran to still be playing tests at such an advanced age for a Fast bowling all rounder.

Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Stoke
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasim was good but not great as his career wore down Akram his speed decreased,Imran was always a great bowler and I still remember what Imran did to Gower.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran in Tests, Wasim in ODIs...

Imran brought his A game against the big sides..

Wasim during his peak never did perform against the BIGGER sides.. Australia South Africa.. specially in their home condiitons..

Imran even in his older years was always up for it against the top sides

Debut
    Apr 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran Khan...because ultimately cricket for fast bowlers is about winning matches not just wowing armchair fans and pundits.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No Brainer.
    IK's peak rating is 922
    While Wasim's just 830 (which is nothing special)

Wasim was never ranked #1 during his career.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    Imran was the better bowler.
    I don't think we have produced more gifted and skillful bowler than Wasim. World has not seen a left arm bowler of that class, ever or since. I am sure Imran would agree that Wasim was better bowler than him.

As a bowler, Wasim's legacy is far reaching then Imran or any other bowler. Just take a look at effect of Wasim in last 30 years or so. Wasim created the Genre of left arm fast bowling, before him that barely existed. After him, there is so many varieties, Strac to Johnson to Amir to Fizz to Zaheer etc, best part was, Wasim had all those skills in one guy. He was ahead of his time and inspiration for many, not only in his country but all over the world. It is safely to say, left arm bowling would not be that rich, had Wasim never played Cricket.

Imran was the best Cricketer produced by Pakistan, but Wasim was the best bowler, there is a difference. Even in test Wasim was better than Imran, if you take into account amount of dropped catches with new ball, Wasim Average would pass Imran's, plus he was bowling along side Waqar and than Shoiab, who also took those easy free wickets, which Imran took more of them. Also bouncer rule changes in late 80s also was a disadvantage to Ws, since they could not bowl as many as they liked to do, the terror weapon was crub a lot in following generation, otherwise Shoiab would have put many more to early retirement...I have seen both, don't need to look at stats to know which one was better...

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There isn't a bowler more highly rated by his peers than Wasim.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At their peaks Imran and Waqar easily.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For longevity, it was Akram who was still 95 percent effective at the time of retirement.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yasir View Post
    I don't think we have produced more gifted and skillful bowler than Wasim. World has not seen a left arm bowler of that class, ever or since. I am sure Imran would agree that Wasim was better bowler than him.

As a bowler, Wasim's legacy is far reaching then Imran or any other bowler. Just take a look at effect of Wasim in last 30 years or so. Wasim created the Genre of left arm fast bowling, before him that barely existed. After him, there is so many varieties, Strac to Johnson to Amir to Fizz to Zaheer etc, best part was, Wasim had all those skills in one guy. He was ahead of his time and inspiration for many, not only in his country but all over the world. It is safely to say, left arm bowling would not be that rich, had Wasim never played Cricket.

Imran was the best Cricketer produced by Pakistan, but Wasim was the best bowler, there is a difference. Even in test Wasim was better than Imran, if you take into account amount of dropped catches with new ball, Wasim Average would pass Imran's, plus he was bowling along side Waqar and than Shoiab, who also took those easy free wickets, which Imran took more of them. Also bouncer rule changes in late 80s also was a disadvantage to Ws, since they could not bowl as many as they liked to do, the terror weapon was crub a lot in following generation, otherwise Shoiab would have put many more to early retirement...I have seen both, don't need to look at stats to know which one was better...

LOL, so Imran used to take the field with Aussies as fielders then?

Easy wickets for Shoaib and Waqar, WTH; Wasim I think has a bigger margin of late order / tail ender wickets than all 3 of them, not sure who was taking the easy wickets? Plus, if Wasim was having catches dropped, then try the same fielders on Waqar and Shoaib in their peak; taking catches at the speed those two were bowling would be near impossible for same set of fielders!

Wasim, for the wizardry, for whatever it was worth anyway is debatable...has inferior number compared to all 3; and Imran carried 4 burdens on his back: Fast Bowler, Only Potent Fast Bowler in his early career, All Rounder, and Captain. Despite all that, Wasim does not match his figures in anyway!

BTW, if I was a batsman and facing Waqar and Shoaib in their prime at astronomical speeds, chances are that I would be an easier target for Wasim as well after being roughed up by them...so, easy wickets comment works both ways!

Sir Mamoon:

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post

Easy wickets for Shoaib and Waqar, WTH; Wasim I think has a bigger margin of late order / tail ender wickets than all 3 of them, not sure who was taking the easy wickets? Plus, if Wasim was having catches dropped, then try the same fielders on Waqar and Shoaib in their peak; taking catches at the speed those two were bowling would be near impossible for same set of fielders!

Wasim, for the wizardry, for whatever it was worth anyway is debatable...has inferior number compared to all 3; and Imran carried 4 burdens on his back: Fast Bowler, Only Potent Fast Bowler in his early career, All Rounder, and Captain. Despite all that, Wasim does not match his figures in anyway!

BTW, if I was a batsman and facing Waqar and Shoaib in their prime at astronomical speeds, chances are that I would be an easier target for Wasim as well after being roughed up by them...so, easy wickets comment works both ways!
    Imran Khan did not had out swing delivery, more of cutters. His main strength was big in-swing. He had less reliance on slip than Wasim, that's why I mention that. Last year we saw Amir was robbed for 10 wickets by slip in test alone, not true for other right handers, same is the case with Wasim. Wasim was much better with new ball than Imran/Waqar or Shoiab. With reverse swing and yorkers, Ws were class above others, that was the peak of reverse swing...People will remember the Ws for reverse swing till the end of time.

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Youve got to take into account this

Wasim played with diabetes in the last several years of his career

Imran was out at his peak with serious shin fracture Also in the last 2 years or so because of advancing age imran hardly bowled

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran easily, I'd even have Waqar ahead of Wasim too.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike Rate View Post
    Akram will win in ODIs any day of the week no doubt about that but the comparison is about Test performance that many of us rate higher and why i want Imran to win? I have even excluded the all rounder or captaincy etc criteria so that it don't favor IK and just limited it to bowling.
    Interwsting.

What was it that made waseem effective in odi and not in test as much

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The only reason i voted akram is because how every batsmen who faced him rates him the best.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran Khan did not had out swing delivery, more of cutters. His main strength was big in-swing. He had less reliance on slip than Wasim, that's why I mention that. Last year we saw Amir was robbed for 10 wickets by slip in test alone, not true for other right handers, same is the case with Wasim. Wasim was much better with new ball than Imran/Waqar or Shoiab. With reverse swing and yorkers, Ws were class above others, that was the peak of reverse swing...People will remember the Ws for reverse swing till the end of time.

In his early days, Imran had a decent out swinger but after his return in 1986, he became more of a in-swing bowler due to nagging shoulder issues and other injuriues but if that booming in-dipper was just pure cutter delivery, that has to be the biggest cutters ever seen. It was proper seam bowling, not cutters IMO!

Catching does not mean cataching in slips only and batsman can also play an inswing delivery across seam and it ends up being a catach for close in fielders any where. Anyway, to me, Wasim under achieved by some distannce and in my opinion he should have had some 30-50 wickets more if he serious about prolonging his career. Which sadly 1996 onwards, I am not sure he really was due to other things going on

Sir Mamoon:

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In his early days, Imran had a decent out swinger but after his return in 1986, he became more of a in-swing bowler due to nagging shoulder issues and other injuriues but if that booming in-dipper was just pure cutter delivery, that has to be the biggest cutters ever seen. It was proper seam bowling, not cutters IMO!

Catching does not mean cataching in slips only and batsman can also play an inswing delivery across seam and it ends up being a catach for close in fielders any where. Anyway, to me, Wasim under achieved by some distannce and in my opinion he should have had some 30-50 wickets more if he serious about prolonging his career. Which sadly 1996 onwards, I am not sure he really was due to other things going on
    Wasim under achieve in test, no question. Part of the reason was popularity of ODIs in Pakistan and world over in general. He played some 330+ ODIs. Last 3/4 years his efforts in test were patchy and half hearted, at that time Shoiab was main strike bowler. Other problem is Pakistan don't get good series and regular test cricket, YK took 15 years to complete 100 test, Cook did that in less than 8, Imran only played 83 test, Wasim 100 in 18 years. Our players play far less test cricket at their peak, its hard to compare stats of our top tier cricketers with teams like AUS/ENG/IND... That's the other reason I am not too much in to stats, there are many factors which are not reflected in stats.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wasim has inferior numbers? What? There's hardly anything between them.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Wasim has inferior numbers? What? There's hardly anything between them.

You cannot just comment based on one post or the other...context was that Imran was an all rounder, only frontline bowler for at least half of the career, capable batsman, captain as well....Wasim only had one major role (any runs he scored were mostly considered a plus rather than expected) as a bowler, and with the supposed wizardry, magic, and left arm novelty (not many around at that time with his skillset), he did not achieve more than Imran!

Considering all the above and fact that Imran played till he was 41 and Wasim retired at 34 or so, if he still has relatively inferior stats, than he under achieved as well as Imran was a better bowler for still coming out tops despite all the advantages Wasim had!

Sir Mamoon:

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You cannot just comment based on one post or the other...context was that Imran was an all rounder, only frontline bowler for at least half of the career, capable batsman, captain as well....Wasim only had one major role (any runs he scored were mostly considered a plus rather than expected) as a bowler, and with the supposed wizardry, magic, and left arm novelty (not many around at that time with his skillset), he did not achieve more than Imran!

Considering all the above and fact that Imran played till he was 41 and Wasim retired at 34 or so, if he still has relatively inferior stats, than he under achieved as well as Imran was a better bowler for still coming out tops despite all the advantages Wasim had!
    Wasim retired from tests at 35(nearly 36). Imran had pretty much stopped bowling regularly in tests after 87-88. No, Wasim's stats are not relatively inferior. There's hardly anything between them. You can make a case either way.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even 4 wickets per test for a bowler only, and that someone who was considered the 'Left arm of god' and what not by so many...even a non-bowler like Harbajan (for last what 6-7 years now) has similar stats. Imran is at 4.11 wickets per match, that despite him being mostly a batsman in last 3-4 years after the 88-89 series against India at home.

That alone puts Imran the bowler way ahead of Akram

Sir Mamoon:

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't disagree that Wasim was the more talented, more gifted and more versatile bowler but did that make him better than Imran in Tests despite Imran missing much of his peak period? That's a resounding no IMO.

Many of Imran's performances led to legendary victories - the 1976 Sydney Test, that peak period of 2-3 years where he had the greatest purple patch of all time, dismantling India and Australia at home, the 10fer at Leeds, the comeback after his injury and getting 10fers in England and WI to get victory in the former and a nearly won series draw in the latter is folklore and story that no other Pakistani bowler has got close to.

Also, bowling with another great bowler actually helps to take more wickets faster because the pressure and persistence to attack is carried out on both ends and hence works the batsman over quicker than one end to release the pressure from. There was a thread by @WebGuru with stats about all the great bowling partnerships in Tests and all of the duos were better when bowling in tandem rather than when one was absent, if mods oblige that thread could be linked here but it really makes it concrete that your point is incorrect - better bowlers in a team help all the bowlers to improve their effectiveness not diminish their performance.

To end this post - a question which you can interpret as rhetorical or inquisitive or punitive; would Wasim Akram the bowler even exist had Imran not been there as an inspiration and then teacher and guidng hand in his fledgling career?

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    IK at his peak(82-83)was a freak of nature, Wasim was brilliant for a brief period around the Aus tour in 1989-90, after which he was always good, often very good but brilliant on only a few occasions. IK was also the better test bowler against the best players, an area where WA didnt excel as often.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Zero View Post
    No Brainer.
    IK's peak rating is 922
    While Wasim's just 830 (which is nothing special)

Wasim was never ranked #1 during his career.
    I agree with you but despite the ratings WA was the best Test bowler in the world for a brief period around the 89-90 season.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to have imran khan on my test side.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not seen much of IK bowling in test matches so go with Wasim Akram

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    I don't disagree that Wasim was the more talented, more gifted and more versatile bowler but did that make him better than Imran in Tests despite Imran missing much of his peak period? That's a resounding no IMO.

Many of Imran's performances led to legendary victories - the 1976 Sydney Test, that peak period of 2-3 years where he had the greatest purple patch of all time, dismantling India and Australia at home, the 10fer at Leeds, the comeback after his injury and getting 10fers in England and WI to get victory in the former and a nearly won series draw in the latter is folklore and story that no other Pakistani bowler has got close to.

Also, bowling with another great bowler actually helps to take more wickets faster because the pressure and persistence to attack is carried out on both ends and hence works the batsman over quicker than one end to release the pressure from. There was a thread by @WebGuru with stats about all the great bowling partnerships in Tests and all of the duos were better when bowling in tandem rather than when one was absent, if mods oblige that thread could be linked here but it really makes it concrete that your point is incorrect - better bowlers in a team help all the bowlers to improve their effectiveness not diminish their performance.

To end this post - a question which you can interpret as rhetorical or inquisitive or punitive; would Wasim Akram the bowler even exist had Imran not been there as an inspiration and then teacher and guidng hand in his fledgling career?
    That's why I rate Imran higher than any cricketer from Asia, he was complete package and very inspiring leader...

But his bowling alone was not as inspiring as Wasim's. That does not mean he was too far down. Imran himself was inspired by Lillie. I would rate Lillie and Wasim at same level. If there was no Lillie, there would not have been Imran Khan or battery of WI quicks, that whole era of fasting bowling was started by Lillee. Remember rules and conditions were easy for bowlers, decades before Lillie as well...He inspired generation of bowlers (one way or the other ) to become hostile fast bowler...

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran.

But the runners up to me might as well have been Mohammed Asif and Waqar. Cricinfo ran an analysis of Asif a while back showing him to have been one of the most impactful players in the modern game, when taking into the account the quality of his wickets. Both he and Waqar have better SR than Imran and Wasim.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by New Yorker View Post
    Imran.

But the runners up to me might as well have been Mohammed Asif and Waqar. Cricinfo ran an analysis of Asif a while back showing him to have been one of the most impactful players in the modern game, when taking into the account the quality of his wickets. Both he and Waqar have better SR than Imran and Wasim.
    asif was unplayable in good conditions but he was poor on flat wickets. struggled in pak on non green pitches and failed in australia on non green pitches as well. he was basically another anderson. without swing and seam he did not have the pace to trouble the batsmen.

wasim , imran and waqar are leagues above him. capable of performing on flattest of surfaces.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    SMCHS, Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This is a no brainer - IK all day, everyday........ Wasim is an ATG himself but Imran was the better test bowler.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Dropped catches is a silly argument. It's not that Imran played for Australia or South Africa.

Debut
    Apr 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posted from some time but still applicable:

I posted this on another thread, but it pretty much proves conclusively that Imran is better than Wasim:

It's tough given that Wasim is my favorite bowler, but I believe Imran is his superior. I have to laugh at all those who say "Wasim is better by a mile," how can you say that if you look at their records. I believe Imran is better that Wasim for the following reasons:

- Imran and Wasim were both complete bowlers, but while Imran used every ounce of talent to perfect his bowling, Wasim definitely did underachieve, and I say this as a fan. A man of his talent, you felt he deserved around 100 more wickets than he ended up with. The reason is that towards the end of his career, he was so awkward a proposition that batsmen just focused on playing him out and attacking others. The latter several years of his career was not as fruitful as a result.

- During their respective peaks (Imran 80-88, Wasim 90-99), Imran was far more consistent than Wasim. Imran rarely if ever had a poor series whereas Wasim often left outside factors affect his bowling, such as in West Indies in 93.

- Statistically, its pretty clear that Imran is ahead of Wasim on pretty much every measure (average, strikerate, you name it). Against the best side they faced, Imran was much more successful against the West Indies than Wasim was against Australia. Against others, with the passable exception of New Zealand, Imran averaged <25 against everyone, whereas Wasim averaged 28 against India, 29 against SA, and 30 against England, all more than decent batting sides. If you remove Zimbabwe from Wasim's record (a minnow Imran never played) the difference is even more apparent. And this doesn't even take into account the latter years when Imran was merely bowling support.

- In terms of rankings, the ICC a few years ago declared Imran among the top ten test bowlers of all-time statistically, well ahead of Wasim. They also declared Imran's bowling peak the best of any bowler of the modern era. Wasim wasn't even in the top 50! (http://www.relianceiccrankings.com/a.../test/bowling/)

- Imran was much more capable of running through a side and winning a match singlehandely than Wasim. In fact, it would be hard to point to a a single occasion where Wasim ran through top class opposition to win a match the way Imran did against England in 82 and 87, Australia in 77, India in 82/83, and WI in 88. Imran took 8 6-fers, 3 7-fers and 2 8-fers in 88 matches (quite a few he didnt even bowl in), while Wasim only has 5 6-fers and 1 7-fer in 104 matches, that too against New Zealand (7-119).

- Imran faced a much more uphill task than Wasim in getting to the top. Through sheer will and ambition he transformed himself from a medium pacer to a fast bowler at a time when his country and region had none. Wasim had mentoring and quality bowling support from the get go.

- In terms of actual influence, Imran was much more influential. Imran started an entire legacy of fast bowlers, was the first to perfect reverse swing, and mentored both Ws. Wasim cant compare to Imran's gigantic impact.

I know this will be a tough pill for us Wasim fans to swallow, but my impression is that Imran's captaincy and all-round skills dont put as much attention to how great a bowler he really was.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Posted from some time but still applicable:

I posted this on another thread, but it pretty much proves conclusively that Imran is better than Wasim:

It's tough given that Wasim is my favorite bowler, but I believe Imran is his superior. I have to laugh at all those who say "Wasim is better by a mile," how can you say that if you look at their records. I believe Imran is better that Wasim for the following reasons:

- Imran and Wasim were both complete bowlers, but while Imran used every ounce of talent to perfect his bowling, Wasim definitely did underachieve, and I say this as a fan. A man of his talent, you felt he deserved around 100 more wickets than he ended up with. The reason is that towards the end of his career, he was so awkward a proposition that batsmen just focused on playing him out and attacking others. The latter several years of his career was not as fruitful as a result.

- During their respective peaks (Imran 80-88, Wasim 90-99), Imran was far more consistent than Wasim. Imran rarely if ever had a poor series whereas Wasim often left outside factors affect his bowling, such as in West Indies in 93.

- Statistically, its pretty clear that Imran is ahead of Wasim on pretty much every measure (average, strikerate, you name it). Against the best side they faced, Imran was much more successful against the West Indies than Wasim was against Australia. Against others, with the passable exception of New Zealand, Imran averaged <25 against everyone, whereas Wasim averaged 28 against India, 29 against SA, and 30 against England, all more than decent batting sides. If you remove Zimbabwe from Wasim's record (a minnow Imran never played) the difference is even more apparent. And this doesn't even take into account the latter years when Imran was merely bowling support.

- In terms of rankings, the ICC a few years ago declared Imran among the top ten test bowlers of all-time statistically, well ahead of Wasim. They also declared Imran's bowling peak the best of any bowler of the modern era. Wasim wasn't even in the top 50! (http://www.relianceiccrankings.com/a.../test/bowling/)

- Imran was much more capable of running through a side and winning a match singlehandely than Wasim. In fact, it would be hard to point to a a single occasion where Wasim ran through top class opposition to win a match the way Imran did against England in 82 and 87, Australia in 77, India in 82/83, and WI in 88. Imran took 8 6-fers, 3 7-fers and 2 8-fers in 88 matches (quite a few he didnt even bowl in), while Wasim only has 5 6-fers and 1 7-fer in 104 matches, that too against New Zealand (7-119).

- Imran faced a much more uphill task than Wasim in getting to the top. Through sheer will and ambition he transformed himself from a medium pacer to a fast bowler at a time when his country and region had none. Wasim had mentoring and quality bowling support from the get go.

- In terms of actual influence, Imran was much more influential. Imran started an entire legacy of fast bowlers, was the first to perfect reverse swing, and mentored both Ws. Wasim cant compare to Imran's gigantic impact.

I know this will be a tough pill for us Wasim fans to swallow, but my impression is that Imran's captaincy and all-round skills dont put as much attention to how great a bowler he really was.
    POTW material...

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)