Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Is Trick-or-treating Haram/Halal?

For those of you that are not familiar with Halloween, stop living under a rock Just kidding . No really, stop. No seriously, who doesn't know what Halloween is?

Anyhoo, Halloween is a yearly celebration that occurs every October 31st, where kids (and or adults ) basically annoy the heck out of people's home and ask for candy, better known as trick or treat. Here in Canada, we've even got ourselves a little jingle: Trick-or treat, (smell my feet) give me something good to eat, not too big not too small, just the size of Montreal

When I was just a little wittle boy, I used to always envy other kids/ and fellow classmates carrying garbage bags full of candies and chocolates while I was not permitted to go trick or treating (though I did go out a couple times without my parents knowing and hid the candies under my bed )

Now you may ask why was I not allowed to trick or treat? Well, ever since I was a little boy, I used to go to this madrassah run by this Indian teacher, and we used to be his favorite pupils, not by choice . See, this Indian teacher, or Molana as I address him, was quite close to my family (still is) and my father and mother took his word for everything. Now, I do respect him, and he is very knowledgeable, but he would always tell us to NEVER go trick or treating.

His reasoning? He felt that the act of trick-or treating was similar to that of begging or asking for food, and it is not pleasant in the eyes of Allah, as we have more than enough to provide for ourselves. Also, he said that it is not one of Islam's holidays/celebrations and so we shouldn't indulge in it. Fair enough, as a little boy, who was I to judge his reasoning and at the time, it felt pretty logical.

As October 31st is tomorrow, I want to know from you fellow PPers, what is your take on Halloween, have you ever went trick-or-treating? Is it indeed haram?

And for the Jus Reign fans, @Thivagar, here's another one of his videos .

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Awh man, smiley's messed up the format. Oh well. Oh ya forgot to mention, kids also dress up in costume (a witch, batman lol, etc) while they trick or treat.

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you interpret it as and what your intention is.

This is what Wikipedia describes it as (not the most reliable source I know lmao, but in a general sense):

The eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed believers
    If you "celebrating" Halloween has to do with the above definition, then yes it can be haram as you are taking part in another religion indirectly when it compromises Islamic values. We don't have a day for remembrance for Sahaba (RA) nor even our own Prophet PBUH, so how can we and why should we engage in remembrance of Christian martyrs?

Now of course, if your "celebration" of Halloween is nothing more than giving candy to kids or going to a costume party, then it is okay IMO as it's more to do with leisure than you doing something religious.
    Last edited by Suleiman; 31st October 2015 at 05:23.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belawal2014 View Post
    Here in Canada, we've even got ourselves a little jingle: Trick-or treat, (smell my feet) give me something good to eat, not too big not too small, just the size of Montreal
    Replace Montreal with Donegal and you literally have the same one Irish kids use. And considering we invented Hallo'ween its safe to say we came up with it first. You owe us about 350 years of copyright infringement. Cash will do

[/QUOTE]

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Cozzie View Post
    Replace Montreal with Donegal and you literally have the same one Irish kids use. And considering we invented Hallo'ween its safe to say we came up with it first. You owe us about 350 years of copyright infringement. Cash will do

[/QUOTE]

Let me go check my piggy bank.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    It depends on what you interpret it as and what your intention is.

This is what Wikipedia describes it as (not the most reliable source I know lmao, but in a general sense):

If you "celebrating" Halloween has to do with the above definition, then yes it can be haram as you are taking part in another religion indirectly when it compromises Islamic values. We don't have a day for remembrance for Sahaba (RA) nor even our own Prophet PBUH, so how can we and why should we engage in remembrance of Christian martyrs?

Now of course, if your "celebration" of Halloween is nothing more than giving candy to kids or going to a costume party, then it is okay IMO as it's more to do with leisure than you doing something religious.

Yeah, this is what I mean. Like all I want to know is whether going to people's homes and asking for candy,alone is haram or not?

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Halaloween is by definition halal.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Yeah, this is what I mean. Like all I want to know is whether going to people's homes and asking for candy,alone is haram or not?
    It's too bad I can't edit my post, wanted to edit that 2nd para, but I'll say it here. It's a tricky question because as outsiders we don't know if engaging in giving candy is taking part in it as a religious sense or not, because you have to understand Halloween predates Christianity and has origins in pagan religions. So is giving candy and going to parties themed for this specific occasions ultimately showing support for those pagan religions? Because more or less this is a "festival of the dead", and as you know, we don't celebrate the dead at all in Islam.

Here's what the Prophet PBUH said about us as Muslims taking part in customs of other religions:

"Whoever imitates a people is one of them." [Abu Dawood]
    Having read that I guess it pretty much points us to not engaging in it if we want to avoid going on to that haram/makroo border altogether.

Also, JusReign is all class, his humor is very underappreciated. Basically what desi moms do with eid money instead of candy.
    Last edited by Suleiman; 31st October 2015 at 05:38.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1063 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's what I think about:

How many times Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) celebrated it?

And how many times Sahabas (رَّضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ) celebrated it?

And what does the hadith says regarding going outside between Maghrib and Isha?

Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) said devil eye is more in action at night. Do not go out After Maghrib prayer till Isha... Instead We dress up as a devil and go out. especially in non-Muslim states, we do not know the ingredients of candies our kids are going to receive..

“When the wings of the night spread – or when evening comes – keep your children in, for the devils come out at that time. Then when part of the night has passed, let them go. And close the doors and mention the name of Allah, for the shaytaan (devil) does not open a closed door. And tie up your water skins and mention the name of Allah, and cover your vessels and mention the name of Allah, even if you only put something over them, and extinguish your lamps.”

Narrated by Al-Bukhaari (3280) and Muslim (2012).

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    It's too bad I can't edit my post, wanted to edit that 2nd para, but I'll say it here. It's a tricky question because as outsiders we don't know if engaging in giving candy is taking part in it as a religious sense or not, because you have to understand Halloween predates Christianity and has origins in pagan religions. So is giving candy and going to parties themed for this specific occasions ultimately showing support for those pagan religions? Because more or less this is a "festival of the dead", and as you know, we don't celebrate the dead at all in Islam.

Here's what the Prophet PBUH said about us as Muslims taking part in customs of other religions:

Having read that I guess it pretty much points us to not engaging in it if we want to avoid going on to that haram/makroo border altogether.

Also, JusReign is all class, his humor is very underappreciated. Basically what desi moms do with eid money instead of candy.
    Yeah, it's a pity that he only has 650k subs. Deserves waaay more.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abbhaz65 View Post
    Here's what I think about:

How many times Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) celebrated it?

And how many times Sahabas (رَّضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ) celebrated it?

And what does the hadith says regarding going outside between Maghrib and Isha?

Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) said devil eye is more in action at night. Do not go out After Maghrib prayer till Isha... Instead We dress up as a devil and go out. especially in non-Muslim states, we do not know the ingredients of candies our kids are going to receive..

“When the wings of the night spread – or when evening comes – keep your children in, for the devils come out at that time. Then when part of the night has passed, let them go. And close the doors and mention the name of Allah, for the shaytaan (devil) does not open a closed door. And tie up your water skins and mention the name of Allah, and cover your vessels and mention the name of Allah, even if you only put something over them, and extinguish your lamps.”

Narrated by Al-Bukhaari (3280) and Muslim (2012).
    Interesting. How about when teachers would give me candy on Halloween in class. Do I take them? Do I say no? Or do I take them and throw them out/hand to other kids later on ?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1063 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting. How about when teachers would give me candy on Halloween in class. Do I take them? Do I say no? Or do I take them and throw them out/hand to other kids later on ?
    Well, I guess you can take it then if they are offering you themselves.

But I believe that the point of discussion was going trick-or-treating after the evening time, and asking for candies and stuff yourself.

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess you can take it then if they are offering you themselves.

But I believe that the point of discussion was going trick-or-treating after the evening time, and asking for candies and stuff yourself.
    In any case, I'm too old to go trick-or-treat. What do you do when you have kids ringing your doorbells on Halloween?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1063 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In any case, I'm too old to go trick-or-treat. What do you do when you have kids ringing your doorbells on Halloween?
    Best solution would be to not open the door .

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, your parents didn't allow you to ask for eidi either?

"Uss Din Eid Mubarak Hossi Jiss Din Fer Milan Day"

Adieu Friends.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by endymion248 View Post
    So, your parents didn't allow you to ask for eidi either?
    Actually no, if I'm being reaaaaally honest. Never have I ever asked ANYONE for Eidi. The only Eidi I would get was when someone close would offer me, to whom I couldn't say no, and when my parents would give me.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Pyongyang
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You take them and give to others. I have read a hadeeth about Prophet been gifted silk, he gave it to some meccan muskrk or something. Don't remember exactly.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatoo View Post
    You take them and give to others. I have read a hadeeth about Prophet been gifted silk, he gave it to some meccan muskrk or something. Don't remember exactly.
    Was just a hypothetical scenario. Sadly, teachers don't give candies in colleges

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's a pity that he only has 650k subs. Deserves waaay more.
    yeah lol, best one IMO was the Indian restaurant one. guy has talent that's for sure

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    yeah lol, best one IMO was the Indian restaurant one. guy has talent that's for sure
    For me, it's this one.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Pyongyang
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Was just a hypothetical scenario. Sadly, teachers don't give candies in colleges
    Go solve probability

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatoo View Post
    Go solve probability
    Have a test coming up soon, so don't mind if I do

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I want to know from you fellow PPers, what is your take on Halloween, have you ever went trick-or-treating? Is it indeed haram?
    "Halloween" is a portmanteau of All Hallows Day and Samhain (pron. sow-in).

Samhain is the British Pagan New Year, still venerated by the few people who identify as Pagan. At Samhain the wall between the physical world and the spirit world become thin and the spirits of the ancestors return. By convention the Pagans would leave a small piece of food out for their relatives, else mischief wold be done.

So you can see that the modern trick-or-treat tradition is an observation of Samhain. We bribe all the little ghosties and witches with sweets, else they play tricks on us. So yep, I would say haram

When the Christians came to the British Isles, they absorbed Samhain into All Hallows, just as they absorbed Easter and Saturnalia into the death/resurrection of Jesus, and into Christmas.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I don't know if the trick - or - treating act itself is haraam or not. However, think about the candies themselves.

In the western world most of the candies contain gelatine made of pork/pig, in that case the candy is haraam to eat. So, the safer option would be to not engage in trick-or-treating act at all.

"And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, 'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe" - Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Never been a fan of trick and treating but Halloween parties are fun for sure.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just do what you want. People can interpret almost anything as being haram.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best solution would be to not open the door .
    Then your house will get egged

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's best not to get involved, you never know what kind of "sweets" are been given to you.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Samhain is the British Pagan New Year, still venerated by the few people who identify as Pagan. At Samhain the wall between the physical world and the spirit world become thin and the spirits of the ancestors return. By convention the Pagans would leave a small piece of food out for their relatives, else mischief wold be done.

So you can see that the modern trick-or-treat tradition is an observation of Samhain. We bribe all the little ghosties and witches with sweets, else they play tricks on us. So yep, I would say haram

When the Christians came to the British Isles, they absorbed Samhain into All Hallows, just as they absorbed Easter and Saturnalia into the death/resurrection of Jesus, and into Christmas.
    Pretty sure Samhain is Irish mate

Samhain (pronounced /ˈsɑːwɪn/ sah-win or /ˈsaʊ.ɪn/ sow-in[1] Irish pronunciation: [sˠaunʲ]) is a Gaelic festival marking the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter or the "darker half" of the year
    Historically, it was widely observed throughout Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man
    You Brits started with Katie Taylor, and now its Hallowe'en. Stop claiming our stuff

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There are pagans in Britain even now? How did they survive for a thousand years?

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watsupdoc View Post
    I don't know if the trick - or - treating act itself is haraam or not. However, think about the candies themselves.

In the western world most of the candies contain gelatine made of pork/pig, in that case the candy is haraam to eat. So, the safer option would be to not engage in trick-or-treating act at all.
    Most of what the people give out are not those type of candies. People usually give chocolates/gum etc which doesn't contain gelatin. And you can just check the ingredients to make sure.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    There are pagans in Britain even now? How did they survive for a thousand years?
    I've lived in England all my life and I've never seen a Pagan so if they are in UK they are not in England lol.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I don't think there should be a problem with it, considering the candies are halal.

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Cozzie View Post
    Pretty sure Samhain is Irish mate
    I think it's common to all the Celtic lands (which England was too until the Saxons invaders started to arrive).

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Yep, there is even a Pagan Federation. Google it.

Of course it went underground during King James II's time, when a lot of women were burned at the stake, but it was never extirpated and started to make a comeback in the 1950s.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WC-Passion View Post
    I've lived in England all my life and I've never seen a Pagan so if they are in UK they are not in England lol.
    Religion is a private matter for many people.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to do it when I was younger, I used to enjoy it but can see why now that it isn't looked favourably upon in Islam.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think it's common to all the Celtic lands (which England was too until the Saxons invaders started to arrive).

Yep, there is even a Pagan Federation. Google it.

Of course it went underground during King James II's time, when a lot of women were burned at the stake, but it was never extirpated and started to make a comeback in the 1950s.
    Wow. Good to hear.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For those of you that are not familiar with Halloween, stop living under a rock Just kidding . No really, stop. No seriously, who doesn't know what Halloween is?

Anyhoo, Halloween is a yearly celebration that occurs every October 31st, where kids (and or adults ) basically annoy the heck out of people's home and ask for candy, better known as trick or treat. Here in Canada, we've even got ourselves a little jingle: Trick-or treat, (smell my feet) give me something good to eat, not too big not too small, just the size of Montreal

When I was just a little wittle boy, I used to always envy other kids/ and fellow classmates carrying garbage bags full of candies and chocolates while I was not permitted to go trick or treating (though I did go out a couple times without my parents knowing and hid the candies under my bed )

Now you may ask why was I not allowed to trick or treat? Well, ever since I was a little boy, I used to go to this madrassah run by this Indian teacher, and we used to be his favorite pupils, not by choice . See, this Indian teacher, or Molana as I address him, was quite close to my family (still is) and my father and mother took his word for everything. Now, I do respect him, and he is very knowledgeable, but he would always tell us to NEVER go trick or treating.

His reasoning? He felt that the act of trick-or treating was similar to that of begging or asking for food, and it is not pleasant in the eyes of Allah, as we have more than enough to provide for ourselves. Also, he said that it is not one of Islam's holidays/celebrations and so we shouldn't indulge in it. Fair enough, as a little boy, who was I to judge his reasoning and at the time, it felt pretty logical.

As October 31st is tomorrow, I want to know from you fellow PPers, what is your take on Halloween, have you ever went trick-or-treating? Is it indeed haram?

And for the Jus Reign fans, @Thivagar, here's another one of his videos .

The reason your Indian teacher (Molana) gave for not celebrating it, is strange.

As much as I know this is actually a pagan celebration; Oct. 31 was consider the 1st day of year of those pagans and they believe that on this day the spirits of dead people revisit this world and would harm the living so the living would put things outside for the spirits so they dont harm living.

After Jesus is gone from this world, Christianity become corrupt and start including pagan rituals in it; for example the concept of Trinity is actually a pagan concept which get into Christianity in a different way (instead of 3 big Gods pagan worship, Christianity introduces God, Son and the Holy Spirit). Halloween also first get into Christianity but then I think it was eventually rejected by most christians.

I would refrain from celebrating it.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    The reason your Indian teacher (Molana) gave for not celebrating it, is strange.

As much as I know this is actually a pagan celebration; Oct. 31 was consider the 1st day of year of those pagans and they believe that on this day the spirits of dead people revisit this world and would harm the living so the living would put things outside for the spirits so they dont harm living.

After Jesus is gone from this world, Christianity become corrupt and start including pagan rituals in it; for example the concept of Trinity is actually a pagan concept which get into Christianity in a different way (instead of 3 big Gods pagan worship, Christianity introduces God, Son and the Holy Spirit). Halloween also first get into Christianity but then I think it was eventually rejected by most christians.

I would refrain from celebrating it.
    See the thing is, most don't know the origin of Halloween or why it's celebrated. It's just commonly known as a day where kids dress up and trick-or-treat. In that sense then, is it haram/halal?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Thinking...should I go get a box of assorted chocolates just in case a couple kids ring my bell tonight...hmm..

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You never went trick o treating, you must have had a ****** life then.................

Best thing about living in the West was going tricko treating............

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have noticed how Trick o Treating has died on in some Parts of Canada, especially in Brampton. Barely anyone decorated there houses or went trick o treating, either because Most Desi's were too selfish to give out Candy, or some people had to bring Religion into a fun activity........

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See the thing is, most don't know the origin of Halloween or why it's celebrated. It's just commonly known as a day where kids dress up and trick-or-treat. In that sense then, is it haram/halal?
    But you know the origin now and so cannot claim ignorance. Its upto you but if I were you I would not do it.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    But you know the origin now and so cannot claim ignorance. Its upto you but if I were you I would not do it.
    lol. I'm 19, no way am I ever going to go trick-or-treating in the future. Was just a question that came across my mind seeing as it Halloween.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    You never went trick o treating, you must have had a ****** life then.................

Best thing about living in the West was going tricko treating............
    If that was the best thing about living in the west for you then...lol.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I have noticed how Trick o Treating has died on in some Parts of Canada, especially in Brampton. Barely anyone decorated there houses or went trick o treating, either because Most Desi's were too selfish to give out Candy, or some people had to bring Religion into a fun activity........
    That's why you need to go ring the houses in rich neighborhoods

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    Religion is a private matter for many people.
    True. But it's most of the time not hard to tell what religion a person may be from.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lol. I'm 19, no way am I ever going to go trick-or-treating in the future. Was just a question that came across my mind seeing as it Halloween.
    Regarding your question, this thought came to my mind that the giving things away was a direct part of the pagan ritual so in this sense giving things away today means you are basically participating in that pagan ritual. Do you agree?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    True. But it's most of the time not hard to tell what religion a person may be from.
    I think a white person would struggle to identify a Muslim from a Hindu if the two were not dressed in an explicitly religious manner. Likewise, as most non-Asian people hardly display their religion outwardly, it would be hard to identify an atheist from a Pagan for instance.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Regarding your question, this thought came to my mind that the giving things away was a direct part of the pagan ritual so in this sense giving things away today means you are basically participating in that pagan ritual. Do you agree?
    Not necessarily. What If I want to give away candies with the intention of doing it only for Allah, and not the pagan ritual?

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think a white person would struggle to identify a Muslim from a Hindu if the two were not dressed in an explicitly religious manner. Likewise, as most non-Asian people hardly display their religion outwardly, it would be hard to identify an atheist from a Pagan for instance.
    Actually I've never been called a hindu nor Sikh or asked if was one but have been asked if I was muslim or not.

The other part I agree with, the religions seem to be kind of I guess more "tame" in comparison with most eastern/Asian religions.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Actually I've never been called a hindu nor Sikh or asked if was one but have been asked if I was muslim or not.

The other part I agree with, the religions seem to be kind of I guess more "tame" in comparison with most eastern/Asian religions.
    I didn't mean from personal experience, was just speaking in the general sense.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I didn't mean from personal experience, was just speaking in the general sense.
    Fair enough.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If everything has to be halal or otherwise then we are living in wrong world.
    Not everything is so black and white and if you see everything through the lenses of religion then you have a hard life ahead of you.

What has fun to do with religion? isnt religoin supposed to be boring

lets be open minded and enjoy thing we like and not care about things we dont like. dont involve religion in to it, it will only bring more mud slinging to the religoin

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not necessarily. What If I want to give away candies with the intention of doing it only for Allah, and not the pagan ritual?
    only Allah knows what is really in your heart

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed halloween kinda died out during the recession, barely see anyone decorate houses anymore or kids going out.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well, I never did. It wasn't done in the UK before about 1995.

We had Bonfire Night, but that seems to have gone out of fashion.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm seeing a lot of people from my age group going to so many Halloween parties.

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    My costume for the last 2 years. I will wear this year for this year as well. For clubbing use only. Where are my nurse's and schoolgirls at ?
    Name:  12191768_470776896462482_6649733570778147853_n.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  74.9 KB

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    For me, it's this one.

LMAOOO I love coconut Reign he is so stupid and hilarious.