Instagram

An evening with Shahid Afridi and Younis Khan

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 148
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    94,396
    Mentioned
    1719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    PSL signs a broadcast production deal with UK-based global leaders Sunset+Vine [Update Post #119]

    Lahore – October 31, 2015: Pakistan Super League has signed a broadcast production deal with UK-based global leaders Sunset+Vine to cover the league.

    Sunset+Vine was awarded the contract after a stringent pre-qualification process driven towards ensuring quality production of the highest level. As part of the pre-qualification process, an ad was published for production companies to submit technical proposals. Several companies submitted proposals to obtain production rights for the PSL. The proposals were evaluated by the PSL bid committee, assisted by PSL’s global consultant, Repucom. Sunset+Vine qualified as a result of this technical evaluation, following which its financial quote was brought down significantly in line with PSL’s financial model.

    Sunset+Vine, part of the Tinopolis Group of companies, is one of the leading and most formidable names in sports production worldwide having won over 40 major broadcast awards, including 5 BAFTAs for its cricket coverage. Most recently, Sunset+Vine covered the ICC World T20 Qualifiers in Scotland and Ireland which was beamed live across the world. Sunset+Vine has been a leader in the broadcast circuit by introducing innovations such as the Red Zone, Snickometer, the Analyst, Hawk-Eye and the Ultra-slo-mo camera.

    The company was Host Broadcaster of the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, produced the 2012 London Paralympic Games and 2014 Sochi Winter Paralympic Games for the UK broadcaster Channel 4, and currently produces the Barclays Premier League, Europa League football, Premiership Rugby and the European Champions Cup for BT Sport.

    PSL will reserve all production rights for the tournament, thereby ensuring top quality coverage of the league as per international standards. The PSL is scheduled to take place in February 2016, in Dubai and Sharjah, with five teams set to take part in the first edition of the league.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Runs
    4,865
    Mentioned
    905 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Wow. Great news!


    "You come at the King. You best not miss."

  3. #3
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    673
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much are they paying for getting this deal? Any news about that?

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    15,939
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Congrats to the PCB. Sounds like a great coup.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  5. #5
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    10,219
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    These guys seem to be top quality producers. Here's a list of their clients, they've done all sorts of big productions.

    http://www.sunsetvine.com/clients/clients.html


    “It is not defeat that destroys you, it is being demoralized by defeat that destroys you.”
    ― Imran Khan

  6. #6
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    1,812
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Lahore – October 31, 2015: Pakistan Super League has signed a broadcast production deal with UK-based global leaders Sunset+Vine to cover the league.

    Sunset+Vine was awarded the contract after a stringent pre-qualification process driven towards ensuring quality production of the highest level. As part of the pre-qualification process, an ad was published for production companies to submit technical proposals. Several companies submitted proposals to obtain production rights for the PSL. The proposals were evaluated by the PSL bid committee, assisted by PSL’s global consultant, Repucom. Sunset+Vine qualified as a result of this technical evaluation, following which its financial quote was brought down significantly in line with PSL’s financial model.

    Sunset+Vine, part of the Tinopolis Group of companies, is one of the leading and most formidable names in sports production worldwide having won over 40 major broadcast awards, including 5 BAFTAs for its cricket coverage. Most recently, Sunset+Vine covered the ICC World T20 Qualifiers in Scotland and Ireland which was beamed live across the world. Sunset+Vine has been a leader in the broadcast circuit by introducing innovations such as the Red Zone, Snickometer, the Analyst, Hawk-Eye and the Ultra-slo-mo camera.

    The company was Host Broadcaster of the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, produced the 2012 London Paralympic Games and 2014 Sochi Winter Paralympic Games for the UK broadcaster Channel 4, and currently produces the Barclays Premier League, Europa League football, Premiership Rugby and the European Champions Cup for BT Sport.

    PSL will reserve all production rights for the tournament, thereby ensuring top quality coverage of the league as per international standards. The PSL is scheduled to take place in February 2016, in Dubai and Sharjah, with five teams set to take part in the first edition of the league.
    Essential info missing from this post that "How much PCB will pay to this company?".

  7. #7
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    1,812
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
    How much are they paying for getting this deal? Any news about that?
    Very important question and definitely it must have been finalized in contract. I am unsure why this news item missing basic info.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    673
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Siddiqui View Post
    Very important question and definitely it must have been finalized in contract. I am unsure why this news item missing basic info.
    Absolutely because that is the essential condition for any deal.So no idea why they haven't revealed it.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Siddiqui View Post
    Very important question and definitely it must have been finalized in contract. I am unsure why this news item missing basic info.
    This is production deal.Not telecast.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  10. #10
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    673
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    This is production deal.Not telecast.
    So aren't they paid for it? Please explain.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    1,812
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
    So aren't they paid for it? Please explain.
    You are right. Definitely, PCB will pay them for production.

    BTW @cricketjoshila can you tell us that who is 'producing' IPL for BCCI and how much they paid for each season?

  12. #12
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    326
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Siddiqui View Post
    You are right. Definitely, PCB will pay them for production.

    BTW @cricketjoshila can you tell us that who is 'producing' IPL for BCCI and how much they paid for each season?
    I'd imagine it will be atleast £3 million maybe as much as £5 million

  13. #13
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    8,213
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sunset Vine, ew, worked with Spurs.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    29,076
    Mentioned
    973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    They're great, they did the Channel 4 cricket coverage back in the day and do the Channel 5 highlights now. The Channel 4 coverage was outstanding, with innovations like Snicko, the red zone for LBWs and Hawk Eye.

    They're also doing BT Sport's cricket coverage.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Siddiqui View Post
    You are right. Definitely, PCB will pay them for production.

    BTW @cricketjoshila can you tell us that who is 'producing' IPL for BCCI and how much they paid for each season?
    BCCIs production system is very complex.Let me try and explain.BCCI first leases all the equipment and signs up the Commentators.Then they give the management of this equipment and commentators to IMG-MSM combine who basically just do the managing work.Basically its all a BCCI production managed by IMG-MSM.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  16. #16
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
    So aren't they paid for it? Please explain.
    PCB will pay them for their services and equipment etc to produce the pictures.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  17. #17
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    673
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    PCB will pay them for their services and equipment etc to produce the pictures.
    Fine...

    But what will PCB get from this deal?

  18. #18
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
    Fine...

    But what will PCB get from this deal?
    The pictures.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  19. #19
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    1,052
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well done PCB.


    To conquer your flaws,you must first accept them

  20. #20
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    1,052
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
    Fine...

    But what will PCB get from this deal?
    They will sell the telecasting rights to other Channels.


    To conquer your flaws,you must first accept them

  21. #21
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    673
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    The pictures.
    Revenue?

  22. #22
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
    Revenue?
    Why will the producer pay any revenue?


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  23. #23
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    2,139
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad PCB opted for quality production. A lot of interest is lost when we see dull pictures with modern shahkay missing

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Toronto-Karachi
    Runs
    999
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Revenue will come from the channel which will telecaste it. Sunset will only produce the product which the PCB will pay for.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Toronto-Karachi
    Runs
    999
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
    Revenue?
    Revenue will come from the channel which will telecaste it. Sunset will only produce the product which the PCB will pay for.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    673
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MABA View Post
    Revenue will come from the channel which will telecaste it. Sunset will only produce the product which the PCB will pay for.
    Oh thank you...I got it...

    And that is the reason the next step is for TV sponsorship rights.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    615
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific news. This is just the beginning

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    886
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is excellent news. But a lot will depend on the budget PCB has, hope they give enough production budget to get Hawk-Eye plus other goodies.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    673
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    PSL - $15 M for broadcasting rights.Any good?

    After the teams and broadcasting rights were sold I saw team support threads on PP but not how much they get from broadcasting rights which I am sure many posters were interested in.So,I found an article on CI which says that PCB will get $15 millions from the broadcasting deal with TEN and PTV Sports and I thought I will share it with you guys.

    I actually have no idea how much BBL,CPL,BPL,etc get from broadcasting rights(leave IPL that is a separate giant) so,I actually wanted to know how much BBL,BPL,CPL,etc get from broadcasting rights? So, is it a good deal?Did you expected it this much/less? If anyone can help me get the figures that will be much appreciated.

    Have your say.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    14,309
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    BBL earned around that amount last time.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    673
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    BBL earned around that amount last time.
    Taking into account that this is the inaugural year of PSL then I think this is a job well done.Hope it grows even furthur.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    12,654
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that for 1 year ?

  33. #33
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    Great Britain
    Runs
    3,852
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope there are English players - and maybe some Yorkshire players involved somehow. Not just Saffers like KP.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    14,072
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BPL rights was bought by Channel 9 for 24 million USD over 6 years. Which is 4 million USD per year

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    14,309
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
    Taking into account that this is the inaugural year of PSL then I think this is a job well done.Hope it grows even furthur.
    Network ten bought the rights for 5 years, total value $100mn. Per year $20 million.

    If it's AUD, that's about $14 million per year. What are PSL's figures per year? If it's $15 million, then a damn good job.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    673
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90MPH View Post
    Is that for 1 year ?
    Article does not say whether it is for a year or not.So,no idea. Here is the article:

    http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan...ry/948897.html

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    14,309
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Right, usd $15 million deal is for 3 years.

    Per year $5 million.

    "Ten Sports and PTV Sports are official home broadcasters for a period of three years. The value of the broadcasting deal is $15 million"

  38. #38
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    14,309
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    BPL rights was bought by Channel 9 for 24 million USD over 6 years. Which is 4 million USD per year
    PSL is $5mn per year. Not much difference, but if you look at the context it's a good deal relatively.

    No home ground, not as much audience, foreign territory but still decent amount.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    19,804
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    $15m in broadcast rights and $6m in sponsorship rights are sold for 3 years.

    So that means $5m/year for broadcast and $2m/year for sponsorship.

    A total of $7million/year in broadcast+sponsorship revenue.

    And around $9.3/year franchise fees.

    PCB will share around $5m revenue out of $7m with franchises.

    Lets make a rough estimate combine franchise fee and revenue from tv+sponsorship that PCB will make is around $11m/year.

    Now if PCB spend even $6million to run PSL ever year even than they still have $5million left which is still a greater amount than a full series they play against sri lanka that includes Tests, ODIs and T20s and still it generates less.


    " It is true, Pakistan cricket is not defined by planning, it is not defined by team work and it is not defined by an entire match. It is defined by moments, moments of inspiration, moments of magic, moments when the unsung become the sung, when the world starts rotating in the opposite direction, when the abnormal becomes the normal, when delusion becomes logic – it is when the stars align. "

  40. #40
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    19,804
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Right, usd $15 million deal is for 3 years.

    Per year $5 million.

    "Ten Sports and PTV Sports are official home broadcasters for a period of three years. The value of the broadcasting deal is $15 million"
    don't forget $2 million/year in sponsorship deals and HBL is the title sponsor. For 3 years the deal is done for $6 million


    " It is true, Pakistan cricket is not defined by planning, it is not defined by team work and it is not defined by an entire match. It is defined by moments, moments of inspiration, moments of magic, moments when the unsung become the sung, when the world starts rotating in the opposite direction, when the abnormal becomes the normal, when delusion becomes logic – it is when the stars align. "

  41. #41
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2008 the deal which IPL got was US$1.026 billion for ten years.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    14,309
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JAI- a Cricket fan View Post
    In 2008 the deal which IPL got was US$1.026 billion for ten years.
    Can't compare any league with IPL in terms of numbers lol.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The 5mn USD per year is a poor deal.Its pretty close to the BPL deal and far less than the BBL deal of 20mn USD.Lets not even bring IPL here which renegotiated its Tv deal in 2009 and now gets close to 160mn per year.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  44. #44
    Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Casablanca
    Runs
    9,621
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkCooper View Post
    I hope there are English players - and maybe some Yorkshire players involved somehow. Not just Saffers like KP.
    I want James Taylor for Peshawar!

  45. #45
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Can't compare any league with IPL in terms of numbers lol.
    Still 5mn per year is not a good deal.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  46. #46
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    673
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike Rate View Post
    $15m in broadcast rights and $6m in sponsorship rights are sold for 3 years.

    So that means $5m/year for broadcast and $2m/year for sponsorship.

    A total of $7million/year in broadcast+sponsorship revenue.

    And around $9.3/year franchise fees.

    PCB will share around $5m revenue out of $7m with franchises.

    Lets make a rough estimate combine franchise fee and revenue from tv+sponsorship that PCB will make is around $11m/year.

    Now if PCB spend even $6million to run PSL ever year even than they still have $5million left which is still a greater amount than a full series they play against sri lanka that includes Tests, ODIs and T20s and still it generates less.
    Thanks.

    5 mn/year kinda looks pretty thin I should say.But considering all odds-league out of Pak,inaugural year and all that then it is a decent deal.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    14,309
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Still 5mn per year is not a good deal.
    More like $7million per year for 3 years, as explained by SR.

    It's much better than the BPL deal, which has local grounds, crowds, full attendance.

    Another reason: BPL is stuck at $4mn a year for 6 years. PCB will get much higher value when PSL moves to Pakistan after 3 years.

    It doesn't sound impressive when you single it out and look at the figure yeah.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    19,804
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    The 5mn USD per year is a poor deal.Its pretty close to the BPL deal and far less than the BBL deal of 20mn USD.Lets not even bring IPL here which renegotiated its Tv deal in 2009 and now gets close to 160mn per year.
    If i am not wrong BBL and English league both aren't broadcasted on a free to access channel. Not sure about IPL is Star Sport/Sony available for free in whoel country? but still the population and viewership of india is huge so can't compare

    BPL, PSL these leagues are aired on channels that are free to access like PTV Sports and Channel 9 and their revenue comes from tv ads only so i guess this makes a big difference.


    " It is true, Pakistan cricket is not defined by planning, it is not defined by team work and it is not defined by an entire match. It is defined by moments, moments of inspiration, moments of magic, moments when the unsung become the sung, when the world starts rotating in the opposite direction, when the abnormal becomes the normal, when delusion becomes logic – it is when the stars align. "

  49. #49
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    14,309
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    SR, BBL is broadcasted free to air on network ten.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    3,504
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
    Thanks.

    5 mn/year kinda looks pretty thin I should say.But considering all odds-league out of Pak,inaugural year and all that then it is a decent deal.
    Disagree.

    It should have fetched around $15 Million a year rather than three years. It means the marketing team is not doing its job at all.

    We have the second or third largest fan base with nothing else to compete.

    It is in February a prime month as well ... No wonder no one cares about us in cricket these days.


    ya aenu chuk lay ya mainu aenu chukkan di taaqat day

  51. #51
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    12,654
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good deal when all things are taken into account.

    I am not a big fan of these leagues but at least some revenue is coming for the PCB, especially considering the fixture fiasco at the international level.

    Once the league starts Pak soil I am sure they will get better revenue.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    More like $7million per year for 3 years, as explained by SR.

    It's much better than the BPL deal, which has local grounds, crowds, full attendance.

    Another reason: BPL is stuck at $4mn a year for 6 years. PCB will get much higher value when PSL moves to Pakistan after 3 years.

    It doesn't sound impressive when you single it out and look at the figure yeah.
    We are talking broadcast deals why include title sponsorship into it?

    What has TV broadcast rights got to do with local stadium or foreign?Those watching on Tv will watch it on Tv whether the matc is in Lahore or Sharjah.

    We dont know when BPL deal was struck.Wasnt if before 1st BPL in 2012?

    Considering that PSL rights have been deemed to be only slightly morr valuable than BPL and thats a big big disappointment.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  53. #53
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    1,580
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike Rate View Post
    If i am not wrong BBL and English league both aren't broadcasted on a free to access channel. Not sure about IPL is Star Sport/Sony available for free in whoel country? but still the population and viewership of india is huge so can't compare

    BPL, PSL these leagues are aired on channels that are free to access like PTV Sports and Channel 9 and their revenue comes from tv ads only so i guess this makes a big difference.
    You don't have free to air concepts in India.Only Govt channels are free to air .

    IPL is broadcasted by Sony and mostly u have to subscribe Rs.30 per month to watch for those two months (April-May)

  54. #54
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    19,804
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulGame View Post
    You don't have free to air concepts in India.Only Govt channels are free to air .

    IPL is broadcasted by Sony and mostly u have to subscribe Rs.30 per month to watch for those two months (April-May)
    In Pakistan you don't have to pay to watch any series involving Pakistan. PTV Sports is free govt channel and available everywhere without cable it broadcasts all Pakistan series and also other important tournaments and series like Ashes, Asia Cup, Champions League, World Cup, CT etc etc also covers all important football leagues, worldcup, olympics, tennis grand slams and all major sports events.

    Ten Sports and Geo Super both are free too and available on cable (almost everyone have it in country) without paying anything extra.

    The earning of these channels come just from tv ads so they return their investment through ads. If we also had Sky, Star Sport etc im sure PCB was going to get better deals.


    " It is true, Pakistan cricket is not defined by planning, it is not defined by team work and it is not defined by an entire match. It is defined by moments, moments of inspiration, moments of magic, moments when the unsung become the sung, when the world starts rotating in the opposite direction, when the abnormal becomes the normal, when delusion becomes logic – it is when the stars align. "

  55. #55
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    1,580
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike Rate View Post
    In Pakistan you don't have to pay to watch any series involving Pakistan. PTV Sports is free govt channel and available everywhere without cable it broadcasts all Pakistan series and also other important tournaments and series like Ashes, Asia Cup, Champions League, World Cup, CT etc etc also covers all important football leagues, worldcup, olympics, tennis grand slams and all major sports events.

    Ten Sports and Geo Super both are free too and available on cable (almost everyone have it in country) without paying anything extra.

    The earning of these channels come just from tv ads so they return their investment through ads. If we also had Sky, Star Sport etc im sure PCB was going to get better deals.
    India was like that 20 years ago.Every match will be sold to govt sports channel(DD) where the production will be crap and revenue for BCCI is poor.

    Broadcasting in India has moved on in last 10-15 years and so has sports broadcasting .

    Now every sport(Hockey Football Badminton) is slowly starting to boom from broadcasting revenues
    Almost every home that has TV has cable or DTH so it isn't any different than free to air in other countries.

    P.S

    Do people in Pakistan pay any subscription fee like in UK for BBC?

  56. #56
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    19,804
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulGame View Post
    India was like that 20 years ago.Every match will be sold to govt sports channel(DD) where the production will be crap and revenue for BCCI is poor.

    Broadcasting in India has moved on in last 10-15 years and so has sports broadcasting .

    Now every sport(Hockey Football Badminton) is slowly starting to boom from broadcasting revenues
    Almost every home that has TV has cable or DTH so it isn't any different than free to air in other countries.

    P.S

    Do people in Pakistan pay any subscription fee like in UK for BBC?
    Yea there is a 35 rupees PTV fee that comes in your electricity bill every month even if you don't have a TV or no matter if you PTV or not Our govt even send it in Mosques, Church electricity bills too

    Last edited by Strike Rate; 7th December 2015 at 15:59.


    " It is true, Pakistan cricket is not defined by planning, it is not defined by team work and it is not defined by an entire match. It is defined by moments, moments of inspiration, moments of magic, moments when the unsung become the sung, when the world starts rotating in the opposite direction, when the abnormal becomes the normal, when delusion becomes logic – it is when the stars align. "

  57. #57
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Srinagar;Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    673
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike Rate View Post
    Yea there is a 35 rupees PTV fee that comes in your electricity bill every month even if you don't have a TV or no matter if you PTV or not Our govt even send it in Mosques, Church electricity bills too

    Man,What about radio then?

    Here in India(?)we don't get this kinda fee in our electricity bill for DD which is government run network.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    19,804
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
    Man,What about radio then?

    Here in India(?)we don't get this kinda fee in our electricity bill for DD which is government run network.
    Well radios are free including Radio Pakistan and other local FMs


    " It is true, Pakistan cricket is not defined by planning, it is not defined by team work and it is not defined by an entire match. It is defined by moments, moments of inspiration, moments of magic, moments when the unsung become the sung, when the world starts rotating in the opposite direction, when the abnormal becomes the normal, when delusion becomes logic – it is when the stars align. "

  59. #59
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    886
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    We are talking broadcast deals why include title sponsorship into it?

    What has TV broadcast rights got to do with local stadium or foreign?Those watching on Tv will watch it on Tv whether the matc is in Lahore or Sharjah.

    We dont know when BPL deal was struck.Wasnt if before 1st BPL in 2012?

    Considering that PSL rights have been deemed to be only slightly morr valuable than BPL and thats a big big disappointment.
    Yeah. $15million for three years is not a very good job done by the PCB. But then again, no other broadcaster was interested so PCB's hands we're tied. Pakistan needs to have more sports channels to for PCB to actually start earning money. I think, the upcoming DTH auction, sadly now postponed, are a good step in the right direction.
    PCB should have gotten about 15 to 20 million per year but with no other broadcaster interested, they couldn't exactly play hard ball. They could compliment it by selling streaming rights sepratley and also the mobile score alert rights.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    8,001
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike Rate View Post
    $15m in broadcast rights and $6m in sponsorship rights are sold for 3 years.

    So that means $5m/year for broadcast and $2m/year for sponsorship.

    A total of $7million/year in broadcast+sponsorship revenue.

    And around $9.3/year franchise fees.

    PCB will share around $5m revenue out of $7m with franchises.

    Lets make a rough estimate combine franchise fee and revenue from tv+sponsorship that PCB will make is around $11m/year.

    Now if PCB spend even $6million to run PSL ever year even than they still have $5million left which is still a greater amount than a full series they play against sri lanka that includes Tests, ODIs and T20s and still it generates less.
    What about the Global Broadcasting rights which PCB sold to Tech Front? How much did PCB get from that deal?

  61. #61
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    19,804
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    What about the Global Broadcasting rights which PCB sold to Tech Front? How much did PCB get from that deal?
    I think this deal include that number. For Pakistan they sold it to Ten Sports+PTV and the numbers are included.

    Ten Sports and PTV together these days are playing interesting game to go together for rights these days to keep Geo Super out of the race because they don't have enough money. Last time Geo Super got the right for Pak-SL series before 2 years and they were not even able to pay on time.


    " It is true, Pakistan cricket is not defined by planning, it is not defined by team work and it is not defined by an entire match. It is defined by moments, moments of inspiration, moments of magic, moments when the unsung become the sung, when the world starts rotating in the opposite direction, when the abnormal becomes the normal, when delusion becomes logic – it is when the stars align. "

  62. #62
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    8,001
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike Rate View Post
    I think this deal include that number. For Pakistan they sold it to Ten Sports+PTV and the numbers are included.

    Ten Sports and PTV together these days are playing interesting game to go together for rights these days to keep Geo Super out of the race because they don't have enough money. Last time Geo Super got the right for Pak-SL series before 2 years and they were not even able to pay on time.
    I think this figure is for home rights. Global rights should be a separate figure.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    14,072
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How can fans be so delusional?

    I think a 5million USD contract per year is excellent. Not big difference compared to BPL, but like BD, Pak also watches its matches on free TV. I will say PCB is doing a fine job. The worst thing one can do is compare with India and Australia. India has a huge population, and also plenty of high earning people. Australia is a first world country.


    The sooner people realize that BPL, PSL, CPL has lesser earning potential the better. But earning money should not be the most important thing here.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    19,804
    Mentioned
    719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    I think this figure is for home rights. Global rights should be a separate figure.
    I hope that's right it will only help generating some more numbers.


    " It is true, Pakistan cricket is not defined by planning, it is not defined by team work and it is not defined by an entire match. It is defined by moments, moments of inspiration, moments of magic, moments when the unsung become the sung, when the world starts rotating in the opposite direction, when the abnormal becomes the normal, when delusion becomes logic – it is when the stars align. "

  65. #65
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    8,001
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    How can fans be so delusional?

    I think a 5million USD contract per year is excellent. Not big difference compared to BPL, but like BD, Pak also watches its matches on free TV. I will say PCB is doing a fine job. The worst thing one can do is compare with India and Australia. India has a huge population, and also plenty of high earning people. Australia is a first world country.


    The sooner people realize that BPL, PSL, CPL has lesser earning potential the better. But earning money should not be the most important thing here.
    agreed, people ignore all other factors and just focus on revenue, comparing apple with oranges. No one is going to pay $20MN/year for PSL in its first year.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    agreed, people ignore all other factors and just focus on revenue, comparing apple with oranges. No one is going to pay $20MN/year for PSL in its first year.
    People paid for BBL.

    People paid 4mn for BPL.

    So PSL is either undervalued or PSL isnt considered to be much above BPL in terms of value.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  67. #67
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    8,001
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    People paid for BBL.

    People paid 4mn for BPL.

    So PSL is either undervalued or PSL isnt considered to be much above BPL in terms of value.
    There is a day/night difference between Pakistan and Australia.
    The minimum wage in Australia is $16.87 per hour and in Pakistan it's 15,000 Rs per month that means it is $1.23 per hours.
    National Income per capita of Australia is over $45,000 USD and Pakistan's is around $830.
    Cost of living in Australia is around $2000 bare minimum for two bedroom apartment. In average cost of living.. well you can easily live for $600-700 dollars.

    I can go on and on but you got the point I am saying, right?

    Pus BBL goes on for 5 weeks this is a 3 week tournament so obviously there is going to be a difference in revenue as well.

    Now add the volatility of Pakistan's market, Indecisiveness over future market, ambiguity over who would be running PCB next year, you get a product with extreme risk and low market value as starters.

    And you said IPL buys tv rights of what 190 MIllion? Do you know how much are tv right of NFL? 27 Billion USD!

  68. #68
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    There is a day/night difference between Pakistan and Australia.
    The minimum wage in Australia is $16.87 per hour and in Pakistan it's 15,000 Rs per month that means it is $1.23 per hours.
    National Income per capita of Australia is over $45,000 USD and Pakistan's is around $830.
    Cost of living in Australia is around $2000 bare minimum for two bedroom apartment. In average cost of living.. well you can easily live for $600-700 dollars.

    I can go on and on but you got the point I am saying, right?

    Pus BBL goes on for 5 weeks this is a 3 week tournament so obviously there is going to be a difference in revenue as well.

    Now add the volatility of Pakistan's market, Indecisiveness over future market, ambiguity over who would be running PCB next year, you get a product with extreme risk and low market value as starters.

    And you said IPL buys tv rights of what 190 MIllion? Do you know how much are tv right of NFL? 27 Billion USD!

    Thats 160mn USD per year.For a 6 week tournament.NFL runs for 6 months.You can do the pro rata calculations here.

    Pakistan has the second biggest cricket market with little or no competition from any other sports.Yet your valuation is close to what BPL gets and far less than BBL.People here were saying PSL will go past BBL where as now the valuation is close to BPL rather BBL.

    So as i said either the PSL is undervalued or the PSL doesnt have much value over and above BPL.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  69. #69
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    8,001
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Thats 160mn USD per year.For a 6 week tournament.NFL runs for 6 months.You can do the pro rata calculations here.

    Pakistan has the second biggest cricket market with little or no competition from any other sports.Yet your valuation is close to what BPL gets and far less than BBL.People here were saying PSL will go past BBL where as now the valuation is close to BPL rather BBL.

    So as i said either the PSL is undervalued or the PSL doesnt have much value over and above BPL.
    IPL is a two month touny. ANd what what ever you do you can't reach 27 Billion figure. There 1000 Million in a billion. It's 9 billion from top three channels, plus right from ESPN of two billion plus Direct tv, so it comes to $12 billion roughly a year.

    Pakistan is second biggest market in terms of viewers but not overall due to low GDP per capita. PSL might go past BBL but not right now, not in near future. You can be happy!

    PSL in not much different from BPL in terms of broadcasting rights right now but it has many other factors as well. Better players and better pay for starters.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    22,430
    Mentioned
    1246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Thats 160mn USD per year.For a 6 week tournament.NFL runs for 6 months.You can do the pro rata calculations here.

    .
    NFL smashes IPL tv deal out of the park despite having a 1/5th target market even if you do it pro rata. So yes his point stands.

    Either you need to be a first world country with a top economy (and US$10K per capita minimum) or you need to have close to a billion population like India if you are a third world country.. Pakistan has neither so its foolhardy to expect it to demand close to BBL sums.


    #MPGA

  71. #71
    Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    Ontario,Canada- Malak mala ,Chhachh ,Attock ,pakistan
    Runs
    9,836
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    wow very impressive good job pcb and sethi


    For Breaking news on International and domestic sports follow @pakpassion on twitter

  72. #72
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    NFL smashes IPL tv deal out of the park despite having a 1/5th target market even if you do it pro rata. So yes his point stands.

    Either you need to be a first world country with a top economy (and US$10K per capita minimum) or you need to have close to a billion population like India if you are a third world country.. Pakistan has neither so its foolhardy to expect it to demand close to BBL sums.
    Nopes his point doesnt stand.NFL is paid that much money by 3 networks combined for a 9 year period played over 6 months for a brand thats 100 years old.

    BPL was only slightly less than PSL,and remember BPL rights were sold in 2012.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  73. #73
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    IPL is a two month touny. ANd what what ever you do you can't reach 27 Billion figure. There 1000 Million in a billion. It's 9 billion from top three channels, plus right from ESPN of two billion plus Direct tv, so it comes to $12 billion roughly a year.

    Pakistan is second biggest market in terms of viewers but not overall due to low GDP per capita. PSL might go past BBL but not right now, not in near future. You can be happy!

    PSL in not much different from BPL in terms of broadcasting rights right now but it has many other factors as well. Better players and better pay for starters.
    Please dont exxagerate.Its 27bn spread over 9 years thats 3bn each year to be paid combined by the 3 broadcasters.

    IPL is a 6 weeks tournament.Not 2 months.

    200mn people with no other sport to compete with and you believe 5mn USD is fair valuation.Then i guess you would also agree that contrary to what many believe,there isnt much money in Pakistan cricket?


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  74. #74
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    2,139
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Still 5mn per year is not a good deal.
    Can't understand why Star group has been least interested in covering Pakistan cricket. They have great production and can tap into 2nd largest population/market easily by outbidding Ten, etc.

    Do u have any idea why Star has only concentrated on Indian cricket? I would love to see them cover Pakistani series, especially the high-profile ones, and PSL.

    The low amount is clearly due to lack of competition.


    Make love, not CO2 #ParisNegotiations

  75. #75
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asadullah View Post
    Can't understand why Star group has been least interested in covering Pakistan cricket. They have great production and can tap into 2nd largest population/market easily by outbidding Ten, etc.

    Do u have any idea why Star has only concentrated on Indian cricket? I would love to see them cover Pakistani series, especially the high-profile ones, and PSL.

    The low amount is clearly due to lack of competition.
    They clearly want to focus on Big 3.

    But the likes of GEO/ARY etc should have bid.Wonder why they didnt.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  76. #76
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    2,139
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    They clearly want to focus on Big 3.

    But the likes of GEO/ARY etc should have bid.Wonder why they didnt.
    Geo's sports channel lacks funds. ARY has ever only covered one bilateral series, must have found it difficult to cover cricket, hence never tried it again

    We seriously need some big international channels to focus on Pakistani cricket. I seriously believe PCB is selling the rights at under-valued amounts, and Ten is enjoying big profits out of situation


    Make love, not CO2 #ParisNegotiations

  77. #77
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    8,001
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Please dont exxagerate.Its 27bn spread over 9 years thats 3bn each year to be paid combined by the 3 broadcasters.

    IPL is a 6 weeks tournament.Not 2 months.

    200mn people with no other sport to compete with and you believe 5mn USD is fair valuation.Then i guess you would also agree that contrary to what many believe,there isnt much money in Pakistan cricket?
    I though the contract was for 3 years. You're right about being 3 Billion. And India has other sports? Lol not sure what point you're trying to make? Are you saying that 190 Million is equal to 3000 Million? And NFL is for entire 6 months either. It's roughly for 4 1/2 month.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    8,001
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    I though the contract was for 3 years. You're right about being 3 Billion. And India has other sports? Lol not sure what point you're trying to make? Are you saying that 190 Million is equal to 3000 Million? And NFL is for entire 6 months either. It's roughly for 4 1/2 month.
    Are you really that thick? PSL is in it's first year. The proposed league has been delayed for 5 years so of course it's not going to reach it's potential in it's first year. You can keep hating. PSL has nothing to do with you. You can take your **** out of PP and PSL if you have any issues. No one here said it's bigger than IPL so you really shouldn't be crying or do you like crying anyway?

  79. #79
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    I though the contract was for 3 years. You're right about being 3 Billion. And India has other sports? Lol not sure what point you're trying to make? Are you saying that 190 Million is equal to 3000 Million? And NFL is for entire 6 months either. It's roughly for 4 1/2 month.
    India has ISL ITPL and other leagues which though not as rich as IPL but have significant following and money.

    I am saying 190mn is for 6 weeks.If IPL was a year long event it would have been a couple of billion dollar a year sport.

    PSL should have been valued around 15mn USD per year minimum as Pakistans population is 1/5 of India.And slightly lower Per capita.There can be only 2 reasons for such a poor valuation.Either PCB didnt sell the rights correctly and did some you know what subcontinental thing or the broadcasters dont think Pakistan as a market has much value in cricket terms.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

  80. #80
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,218
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asadullah View Post
    Geo's sports channel lacks funds. ARY has ever only covered one bilateral series, must have found it difficult to cover cricket, hence never tried it again

    We seriously need some big international channels to focus on Pakistani cricket. I seriously believe PCB is selling the rights at under-valued amounts, and Ten is enjoying big profits out of situation
    Isnt Jang group PaKistans biggest media group?

    Why isnt ARY interested in cricket telecast?

    Pakistan may be the only major cricket country where no local channels are interested in its most popular sport and rights are won by a Indian owned channel.This is really strange.


    aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •