Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I need a bit of help with counting calories.

Is there a website or an app which provides accurate nutritional value of foods (carbs,proteins, fat, fibres etc) apart from my fitness pal (which i dont trust after a few weeks of use)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post

Is there a website or an app which provides accurate nutritional value of foods (carbs,proteins, fat, fibres etc) apart from my fitness pal (which i dont trust after a few weeks of use)?

Read the labels on the back of the foods and buy a food scale.

Be brave and be fearless, and for God's sake, stand up for yourself.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Healthyfy ... someone posted about it in this thread. The spelling could be wrong.

It's an Indian app, all the desi foods are covered.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's this tool called myplate by usda I used for my nutrition class, just google "myplate usda" You can try it although it's designed for an American diet so ymmv.

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    Read the labels on the back of the foods and buy a food scale.
    Thanks. Yes i do that but you know the desi meals can be tricky because the ingredients arent sold in packets always. I am trying to avoid them in general but still need some guidance to know how much i can eat in order to not go above the calorie limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Healthyfy ... someone posted about it in this thread. The spelling could be wrong.

It's an Indian app, all the desi foods are covered.
    Sounds great. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    There's this tool called myplate by usda I used for my nutrition class, just google "myplate usda" You can try it although it's designed for an American diet so ymmv.
    I will have a look at this. Thanks. Desi or non-desi, when we are serious about diet any information is a bonus really.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Finally reached 10k. Goal is just to be a more athletic person, I only care about running for longer periods of time. Losing stomach fat isn't one of my concerns.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Failed a PR on the bench so I'm back to last week's weight now.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Trying hard to get to my daily protein requirement (minus whey protein these days). Finding it really hard without the whey protein.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Trying hard to get to my daily protein requirement (minus whey protein these days). Finding it really hard without the whey protein.
    Do you not eat chicken/fish?

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you not eat chicken/fish?
    Yes i do. Almost everyday since last month. In moderation obviously. I get about 50 grams of protein from meats per day. Still find it hard to reach 155 grams of protein/ day requirement. Max i reach around 110-120 grams with soy protein, lentils etc. which isnt bad but once a clear cut goal is set, i get crazy to achieve it. I can try more things but i dont want the baggage of excess fats and carbs with it because i am calculating to the decimals. I guess whey is the only option now for a lean source.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes i do. Almost everyday since last month. In moderation obviously. I get about 50 grams of protein from meats per day. Still find it hard to reach 155 grams of protein/ day requirement. Max i reach around 110-120 grams with soy protein, lentils etc. which isnt bad but once a clear cut goal is set, i get crazy to achieve it. I can try more things but i dont want the baggage of excess fats and carbs with it because i am calculating to the decimals. I guess whey is the only option now for a lean source.
    I get 150 g from meats, eggs, and milk only. 25 g from a shake.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have been wanting to bring my girl to the gym along with me but she refuses to change her stance. Not sure what's the problem, but I've already given up.

She's come a few times but guess working out just isn't for her.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    15 pounds lighter but pushing the same weights I did before.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been wanting to bring my girl to the gym along with me but she refuses to change her stance. Not sure what's the problem, but I've already given up.

Maybe tell her there are other girls there so she gets a little jealous lol.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe tell her there are other girls there so she gets a little jealous lol.
    I have tried that one already.

Her response: "No one else will have the patience to put up with you and it's not like you get along with new people easily."

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried that one already.

Her response: "No one else will have the patience to put up with you and it's not like you get along with new people easily."
    Haha prove her wrong then

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haha prove her wrong then
    I didn't say I disagreed with her...

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last few weeks I felt have been making good progress, my lifts have been going up, and I feel like I'm getting bigger, and people have noticed my gains too. Now, my brother (a few years older than me) has joined the gym after my parents convinced him too, he's not really in shape at all.

He wants me to workout with him and has suggested 5x5. I'll feel bad if I say no to working out with him, as he really wants to workout with me and do 5x5. Problem is I'm a lot stronger than him, and I don't really like working out with others for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I see gym as some 'me' time, prefer going myself and secondly, you have to wait for them to finish their set etc before doing another one, which can take some time, especially if your partner has different strength levels to you, like my brother has as you have to waste some more time changing the amount of weight being used etc.

Right now I'm just on a normal split, so one day for arms, one day for shoulders, one day for back, one day for legs and one day for chest and I've really been enjoying it and making progress, but looks like I'm going to do 5x5 from next week as my brother wants to do that.

Is 5x5 any good guys?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    The last few weeks I felt have been making good progress, my lifts have been going up, and I feel like I'm getting bigger, and people have noticed my gains too. Now, my brother (a few years older than me) has joined the gym after my parents convinced him too, he's not really in shape at all.

He wants me to workout with him and has suggested 5x5. I'll feel bad if I say no to working out with him, as he really wants to workout with me and do 5x5. Problem is I'm a lot stronger than him, and I don't really like working out with others for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I see gym as some 'me' time, prefer going myself and secondly, you have to wait for them to finish their set etc before doing another one, which can take some time, especially if your partner has different strength levels to you, like my brother has as you have to waste some more time changing the amount of weight being used etc.

Right now I'm just on a normal split, so one day for arms, one day for shoulders, one day for back, one day for legs and one day for chest and I've really been enjoying it and making progress, but looks like I'm going to do 5x5 from next week as my brother wants to do that.

Is 5x5 any good guys?
    No. Stay away from 5x5 unless you're trying to be a powerlifter. It only helps you get stronger, your size won't increase.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Stay away from 5x5 unless you're trying to be a powerlifter. It only helps you get stronger, your size won't increase.
    Some people say 5x5 can also increase size. I wouldn't mind getting stronger anyway, as it can help me in cricket. Have you (or any others, you can answer this too) tried 5x5?

The main reason I'm skeptical is simply just because I don't want to change what I'm doing as for the first time, I feel like I am genuinely getting stronger and bigger and am in some sort of rhythm. I don't want to fix something that isn't broken (pardon the cliché).

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some people say 5x5 can also increase size. I wouldn't mind getting stronger anyway, as it can help me in cricket. Have you (or any others, you can answer this too) tried 5x5?

The main reason I'm skeptical is simply just because I don't want to change what I'm doing as for the first time, I feel like I am genuinely getting stronger and bigger and am in some sort of rhythm. I don't want to fix something that isn't broken (pardon the cliché).
    I have done a cycle of 5x5 in the past when I was chasing 315 on bench press. It helped but I don't go heavy anymore, injuries and all that.
    Last edited by Abdul; Yesterday at 22:17.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I get pain with pulups(assisted) and ,then after 2-3 weeks I give that up, but the results with pullups are immediate and don't want to give it up, this time.

Does anyone else experience pain with them? If no what are the precautions you take?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's hard to get Desi girls to workout, ideally you can rather ask em to join kickboxing ,yoga , Zumba ,aerobics something along those lines.

Is there a reason you want her to workout with you?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    It's hard to get Desi girls to workout, ideally you can rather ask em to join kickboxing ,yoga , Zumba ,aerobics something along those lines.

Is there a reason you want her to workout with you?
    No particular reason. I blew out my knees so the motivation to go just wasn't there. And I haven't been to the doctor either, self diagnosis all the way.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I get pain with pulups(assisted) and ,then after 2-3 weeks I give that up, but the results with pullups are immediate and don't want to give it up, this time.

Does anyone else experience pain with them? If no what are the precautions you take?
    Hard to say anything but you probably just have a weak core right now. Have you tried putting the weight higher?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hard to say anything but you probably just have a weak core right now. Have you tried putting the weight higher?
    Yes whether I put the assisted weight at 25 pounds or 55 ,pain is similar.

I'm guessing it's my grip on the bar, hoping not to give it up this time and hopefully pain will reduce with time.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done a cycle of 5x5 in the past when I was chasing 315 on bench press. It helped but I don't go heavy anymore, injuries and all that.
    Did you not see any increase in mass with it?

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    772 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I tried Gyming yesterday and now everything around the back and neck area is severely stuck!

I can't even scratch my head now

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes whether I put the assisted weight at 25 pounds or 55 ,pain is similar.

I'm guessing it's my grip on the bar, hoping not to give it up this time and hopefully pain will reduce with time.
    Do you warm up properly before pull ups? Many gym goers use Pull ups themselves as a warm up exercise which can be dangerous. Do proper stretching for neck, back and for shoulder mobility for like 5-10 minutes and then do pull ups. And dont do it everyday. More like on alternative days or better yet put a gap of 2 days in between.

I made the mistake of doing pull ups everyday for a lot of months because of lack of knowledge when i started gyming. At my peak i could do 25 pull ups without breaking a sweat but then slowly the shoulder pain and all began to kick in. Its because the muscles dont get enough recovery time. Now i do it 2 days apart after proper stretching and mobility exercises and got rid of the pain.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    I tried Gyming yesterday and now everything around the back and neck area is severely stuck!

I can't even scratch my head now
    It will pass after a week or so. Dont give up though.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Do you warm up properly before pull ups? Many gym goers use Pull ups themselves as a warm up exercise which can be dangerous. Do proper stretching for neck, back and for shoulder mobility for like 5-10 minutes and then do pull ups. And dont do it everyday. More like on alternative days or better yet put a gap of 2 days in between.

I made the mistake of doing pull ups everyday for a lot of months because of lack of knowledge when i started gyming. At my peak i could do 25 pull ups without breaking a sweat but then slowly the shoulder pain and all began to kick in. Its because the muscles dont get enough recovery time. Now i do it 2 days apart after proper stretching and mobility exercises and got rid of the pain.
    Could be that, let me try weekly twice only, with more stretching,thanks!

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you not see any increase in mass with it?
    It probably increased but I couldn't see anything when I looked in the mirror, just go until failure.
    Last edited by Abdul; Today at 18:26.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you warm up properly before pull ups? Many gym goers use Pull ups themselves as a warm up exercise which can be dangerous. Do proper stretching for neck, back and for shoulder mobility for like 5-10 minutes and then do pull ups. And dont do it everyday. More like on alternative days or bett

I made the mistake of doing pull ups everyday for a lot of months because of lack of knowledge when i started gyming. At my peak i could do 25 pull ups without breaking a sweat but then slowly the shoulder pain and all began to kick in. Its because the muscles dont get enough recovery time. Now i do it 2 days ag and mobility exercises and got rid of the pain.
    Damn 25. You doin dead hangs or halfs?