Oct 2013
    Venue
    North side of Londonnn
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just started gym and have been 3 times during the week. I personally find it a bit difficult to lose belly fat and that's something that I'd love to cut down. Eventually would love to have six-pack abs but I'm willing to put the hard work in.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    For now, 10K

I am currently capable of 5K but puts a lot of stress on me.
    That sir, is truly my area of speciality. I used to be a marathon runner, and intend to start running marathons again from 2017.

Ideally, the best training for running....is running. But, there are different kind of runs, and each of these should be part of your training.

Session 1- Run to your longest distance. Normally on the weekends, choose the longest distance you possibly can and add 10% the next time you run it. So, if the max max you can run this weekend is 5k, run another 500m next week. And another 500m the week after. Of course, make sure you dont get injured running that extra 500m, but even if that extra 500m means running a lot slower than your average pace, thats fine. And at least give yourself a day's break after this run.

Session 2 - Since you are only running 5k now, try another run during the week of around 5k, but not more than that. As your fitness starts improving this run should start getting faster and faster. If you do 5k now in 45 mins, 3 months down the line you should be running 5k in 35 mins.

Session 3 - Try a quick High Intensity Interval training session - So sprint for 100m, then a nice easy jog for another 500m. Do this 3 to 4 times. As your fitness improves, you could elongate your sprint distance and do a longer session.

Session 4 - If your knees and joints allow - do Squats, Lunges and Planks. You do need to have access to a gym and can do it without any weights at any corner of your home.

1 sets of Squats - 10 reps each
    1 sets of static lunges - 20 each (10 for each leg)
    Plank - Start with 15 secs, and try adding 5 secs every week.
    And repeat each of these 2 more times (3 in total) to perform a superset. Take 1 mins rest between time you finish the 3 exercises.
    This session should not take you more than 20 mins. If you cant do 10 reps, then just do as many as you can work on increasing the number of reps one by one. Obviously, dont push if you have joint/knee issues.

If you perform the above sessions and workout 4 times a week, you would be running 10k within 3 months. I understand that working 4 times a week is difficult, but that is the minimum amount of time I recommend that a person workout if they want to see a difference in their fitness. Your body is most valuable thing you have.

One of the things that works best for me is to sign up for a run in advance. For instance, if you really want to motivate yourself to run this 10k, sign up for a 10k event which will take place after 3 months.
    Last edited by Sidilicious; 21st February 2016 at 22:58.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    That sir, is truly my area of speciality. I used to be a marathon runner, and intend to start running marathons again from 2017.

Ideally, the best training for running....is running. But, there are different kind of runs, and each of these should be part of your training.

Session 1- Run to your longest distance. Normally on the weekends, choose the longest distance you possibly can and add 10% the next time you run it. So, if the max max you can run this weekend is 5k, run another 500m next week. And another 500m the week after. Of course, make sure you dont get injured running that extra 500m, but even if that extra 500m means running a lot slower than your average pace, thats fine. And at least give yourself a day's break after this run.

Session 2 - Since you are only running 5k now, try another run during the week of around 5k, but not more than that. As your fitness starts improving this run should start getting faster and faster. If you do 5k now in 45 mins, 3 months down the line you should be running 5k in 35 mins.

Session 3 - Try a quick High Intensity Interval training session - So sprint for 100m, then a nice easy jog for another 500m. Do this 3 to 4 times. As your fitness improves, you could elongate your sprint distance and do a longer session.

Session 4 - If your knees and joints allow - do Squats, Lunges and Planks. You do need to have access to a gym and can do it without any weights at any corner of your home.

And repeat each of these 2 more times (3 in total) to perform a superset. Take 1 mins rest between time you finish the 3 exercises.
    This session should not take you more than 20 mins. If you cant do 10 reps, then just do as many as you can work on increasing the number of reps one by one. Obviously, dont push if you have joint/knee issues.

If you perform the above sessions and workout 4 times a week, you would be running 10k within 3 months. I understand that working 4 times a week is difficult, but that is the minimum amount of time I recommend that a person workout if they want to see a difference in their fitness. Your body is most valuable thing you have.

One of the things that works best for me is to sign up for a run in advance. For instance, if you really want to motivate yourself to run this 10k, sign up for a 10k event which will take place after 3 months.
    Thank you so much for the tips and advice!

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post

Do you have any advice for running faster?

I'm looking to increase my speed for an 800 m sprint. I consider myself a long distance runner but am suffering from shin splints quite often these days. I'm guessing the advice you posted is applicable for long distance only.

It's also the reason why I'm getting into squats.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Do you have any advice for running faster?

I'm looking to increase my speed for an 800 m sprint. I consider myself a long distance runner but am suffering from shin splints quite often these days. I'm guessing the advice you posted is applicable for long distance only.

It's also the reason why I'm getting into squats.
    High intensity interval training mate. It helps your heart grow bigger and is thus able to pump more blood. Which allows muscles to get more oxygen (from the blood) and thus the muscles get tired a little later.

If you want to improve pace, I would recommend at least a 25 min HIIT session at least once a week. 1 min sprint (at 90% of Max HR, if you have an HR monitor) followed by 2-3 min jog. Do this for 25 mins.

Additionally, I also recommend that you incorporate uphill training in your workout.

Also legwork in the gym is mandatory (but you already knew that). Would also recommend a bit of core training. Planks, Side Planks etc
    Since you are looking to increase your 800m speed, bike work (spin class) helps a lot, as it increases your muscle size and endurance.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Its that part of the year again where I realize that after 3 months out of the gym that ive lost pretty much all progress id made for the prior 6-7 months, and basically am edging towards a proper beer belly.

i usually go to gym and workout for 5-6 months, get back my fitness and also make visible progress in terms of strength and cut, but then sth comes up (like ramzan or some time consuimg event), i stop going to the gym, lose most of the progress in the next 3 months of not working out and eventually the realization dawns on me and it hits that I NEED to restart working out because if it remains like this then it will be impossible to get back any semblance of fitness esp now that im getting old.

How do people motivate themselves to keep going to the gym nonstop over the year?

One of the things i do miss since moving back to Pakistan is the lack of outdoors life in the cities. In States even when i wasnt getting the time to work out, id always be involved in sth like playing soccer by just going to the neighbor hood park on random evenings and joining the pick up soccer going on. So the cardio aspect would be taken care of. Unfortunately in Pakistan theres not such a culture due to heat and security situation i guess, which means that you have to specificallly go out of your way to indulge in physical exercise

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    How do people motivate themselves to keep going to the gym nonstop over the year?
    I've had the same problem before, so in my case,

1) Making it a set part of your day-to-day schedule to avoid laziness (2 days being light ab work/cardio at home)
    2) Mixing up routines/exercises every two months or so.
    3) Aiming for PRs (personal records) in one movement each session (could be anything even something simple like most pushups in a set). This leaves you feeling fantastic.

This is how I keep going.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It's called football not soccer.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tried to be clever about my multi-vitamin and supplement purchase this time, and split my order in 4 with each totaling less than $50. Will this help me avoid customs in India?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Six pack abs

I am trying to develop six pack abs by following some youtube exercises that have failed me. I have been doing crouching exercises for months now. Any advice on how I can develop them?

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    I am trying to develop six pack abs by following some youtube exercises that have failed me. I have been doing crouching exercises for months now. Any advice on how I can develop them?
    you have them. you need to eliminate carb/fat layer to see them

Exercises => Stamina and strength

diet => six pack

Ease up on the biryanis, like completely eliminate it. avoid carbs for dinner 3 days a week.

Getting one is the easy part. maintaining it another matter, unless you have blue collar job which involves a lot of manual work

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    diet is ultra important to good abs

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    All depends on where you stand today, your goals and how quick you want result. For example, if you are skinny, you should probably start with bulking up. If you are buff, then you need to hit a calorie deficit.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its that part of the year again where I realize that after 3 months out of the gym that ive lost pretty much all progress id made for the prior 6-7 months, and basically am edging towards a proper beer belly.

i usually go to gym and workout for 5-6 months, get back my fitness and also make visible progress in terms of strength and cut, but then sth comes up (like ramzan or some time consuimg event), i stop going to the gym, lose most of the progress in the next 3 months of not working out and eventually the realization dawns on me and it hits that I NEED to restart working out because if it remains like this then it will be impossible to get back any semblance of fitness esp now that im getting old.

One of the things i do miss since moving back to Pakistan is the lack of outdoors life in the cities. In States even when i wasnt getting the time to work out, id always be involved in sth like playing soccer by just going to the neighbor hood park on random evenings and joining the pick up soccer going on. So the cardio aspect would be taken care of. Unfortunately in Pakistan theres not such a culture due to heat and security situation i guess, which means that you have to specificallly go out of your way to indulge in physical exercise
    Find home HIIT routines. eliminates the gym no time excuse.

try this 4 min cycle. I usually puking by cycle no. 6. substitute burpees for squat lunges.

Name:  4min_HIIT.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  191.8 KB

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I don't think the amount of calories burned display on treadmill and cross trainer are an accurate measure of how much you've actually burned.

Anyway, trying to lose my big beer belly; cutting down on calories slowly but do cardio everyday. My goal is to get rid of it entirely before going on a bulk program.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    I don't think the amount of calories burned display on treadmill and cross trainer are an accurate measure of how much you've actually burned.

Anyway, trying to lose my big beer belly; cutting down on calories slowly but do cardio everyday. My goal is to get rid of it entirely before going on a bulk program.
    Not sure If Cardio is the best way to cut body fat,imho its weights and few abs exercise.This is from personal experience.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dubcity View Post
    Find home HIIT routines. eliminates the gym no time excuse.

try this 4 min cycle. I usually puking by cycle no. 6. substitute burpees for squat lunges.

Name:  4min_HIIT.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  191.8 KB
    thanks

too many things going on so ii wont work out for a few more months and then ill go hard

ill do this or play cricket/soccer

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Not sure If Cardio is the best way to cut body fat,imho its weights and few abs exercise.This is from personal experience.
    Cardio works for me. Also eating less and healthier.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Cardio works for me. Also eating less and healthier.
    good to know i find body burns faster for me when cardio is minimal and mostly weights nd squats

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I usually do a bit of weights first and end the work out with some HIT cardio, the weights lack intensity in that I lift without a plan.

You're probably right though, I think doing weights ups your metabolism and you probably would burn more calories but I can't be bothered to take them seriously, not as motivated as I use to be. Cardio is a lot easier and more suitable for lazy people like me
    Last edited by shaz619; 14th September 2016 at 14:39.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I usually do a bit of weights first and end the work out with some HIT cardio, the weights lack intensity in that I lift without a plan.

You're probably right though, I think doing weights ups your metabolism and you probably would burn more calories but I can't be bothered to take them seriously, not as motivated as I use to be. Cardio is a lot easier and more suitable for lazy people like me
    Actually Cardio is harder bro lol but u r right it right Weights first and then cardio so that u r not tired to lift weights.

I think @Thivagar was into HIT as well,I m lazyyy for that!

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Doesn't changing plates and walking to and from the water fountain between sets qualify as cardio? ;)

I find cardio brutal. Deadlifting 315lb: no problem. Running for a minute: impossible.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually Cardio is harder bro lol but u r right it right Weights first and then cardio so that u r not tired to lift weights.

agreed. Also weights first depletes your glycogen stores so your body then starts to burn fat when you do hiit

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

The appealing thing about HIT is that, you don't have to do it for long; on the treadmil I do 1 minute walk 1 minute sprint in intervals for about 10 minutes. Then go on the cross-trainer for 20 minutes at a steady pace, a lot easier to put up with that. Diet is the hardest thing when it comes to cutting, it's like when I walk past the supermarket the sweets be calling me name! come here shazzy bear you know you want me!

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Steady long cardio is absolute waste of time compared to a 20 min HIIT.

There is enough physiological data to show get you actually benefit lore from 20 min HIIT vs 45min to 1 hr cardio.

I've heard from diabetes patients who have cut their insulin by 40-60 % since they started HIIT becos of better blood sugar regulation.

Personally, I snack a lot less when I do HITT 2 or more times a week.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    HIIT is okay but there is nothing better than a 20 k morning run.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anuk View Post
    HIIT is okay but there is nothing better than a 20 k morning run.
    That is if you have the 100 min of time for the run + the recovery time say 30 min, so total 2+ hr/day just to work out. Yes.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How is swimming for fat loss?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What has worked for me is to incrementally increase your speed and intensity on cardiovascular exercises each session, so for example you may do 4.2 on a treadmill or 10 on an elliptical trainer as a speed in session 1 and then in the next session do 4.3 and 11 respectively. Keep on repeating this process and you will see the results within a few months.

For a fat loss diet, I would recommend drinking only water and not eating any junk food. Eat home made food.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFighter View Post
    How is swimming for fat loss?
    Don't bother. HIIT is it.

http://exercisetoolkit.com/2013/01/2...abdominal-fat/

http://doctorkem.com/spot-reduce-belly-fat-hiit-hard/

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No reason why you can't combine the two.

Swimming HIIT can be very effective.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can someone suggest a good HIIT routine. I agree that it is very hard for a working guy to dedicate more than an hour or 90 minutes to working out over regular working days.

I understand that pure slow cardio is not going to cut it for fat loss, you have to combine both cardio and lifting weights.

My goal for Cardio is maximum of 20-30 minutes per day. But how does a good HIIT routine work exactly.

Is it 1 min brisk walking, 1 min sprinting and you follow that routine for 20-30 minutes?

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    No reason why you can't combine the two.

Swimming HIIT can be very effective.
    Agree in part, but it is bit challenging to do HIIT in pool with lane crowding etc.

Body weight HIIT workout eliminate the need to leave the house. get to the gym, park, change etc etc all that is gone.

Get up from your couch and go!

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    964 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Any tips of how to get motivated to workout out early in the morning. I'm talking right after Fajr prayers. That used to be my preferred time to hit the gym but ever since the start of the summer, I haven't been able to do anything but go back to bed.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What should I be doing if I'm constantly sore? How can I lessen the soreness?

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    That is the norm.

However, you might be pushing yourself too hard - ensure you allow your muscles enough time to recover.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It could be any number of reasons. Inadequate protein, increasing weights more than you can handle, inadequate rest between workouts...

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Screwed up my right forearm last week. Was doing shoulder presses, bit more than I could chew in terms of increasing weight, and then bam my whole arm collapsed under the weight. Nothing serious (I think) Alhamdullilah. Got an earful from my mom over the phone "university engineer bun ne gaye ho, ya wrestler? Kuch kar kay na bet ja na!"

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Use ice

"Our business is our business. None of your business" - Race 3

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Foam rollers are great too. Just don't use them on the lower back.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    Foam rollers are great too. Just don't use them on the lower back.
    tennis ball for lower back works well

failing that go for a deep tissue massage and do dynamic stretches

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nish_mate View Post
    tennis ball for lower back works well

failing that go for a deep tissue massage and do dynamic stretches
    Correct, tennis ball for the lower back, foam roller for everywhere else. The foam roller works particularly well for the IT Band.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It could be any number of reasons. Inadequate protein, increasing weights more than you can handle, inadequate rest between workouts...
    @aloo paratha This.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Did you just start hitting the gym only recently?
    Last edited by street cricketer; 22nd September 2016 at 18:33.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Screwed up my right forearm last week. Was doing shoulder presses, bit more than I could chew in terms of increasing weight, and then bam my whole arm collapsed under the weight. Nothing serious (I think) Alhamdullilah. Got an earful from my mom over the phone "university engineer bun ne gaye ho, ya wrestler? Kuch kar kay na bet ja na!"
    lmao me mom cuts promos like that to, amazing mic ability. Glad you're good, but you should get yourself checked out just in case; injuries are weird.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    That is the norm.

However, you might be pushing yourself too hard - ensure you allow your muscles enough time to recover.
    Had gym class. have it every day. Made us do push ups and sit ups.
    Realized how weak I am

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    Nah, just gym class in school. You guys know I'm a youngsta

They expect you to be able to do way more in high school than they did in primary school.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    Use ice
    Thanks for the replies!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Realized how weak I am
    You've probably just started, then - initially you will have lots of soreness but over time your body will adapt better.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    lmao me mom cuts promos like that to, amazing mic ability. Glad you're good, but you should get yourself checked out just in case; injuries are weird.
    Yeah mate, was a 'bezti complete' moment for me.

But the medical here is weird. They charge who knows how much just for a simple check-up.
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 22nd September 2016 at 23:57.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nah, just gym class in school. You guys know I'm a youngsta

They expect you to be able to do way more in high school than they did in primary school.
    As Abdullah719 said, it's normal. You always get that soreness when you start lifting weights for the first time or an extended period of abstinence. All the flabby relaxed muscles start getting tight and it causes soreness in the first week or so. You have to fight through it, if you're doing it for the first time around, you may find it a bit difficult to move your arms and the resting position of your arms may take a slightly flexed position. Especially considering that you're just around 14, it is natural. But the pain goes away as you do it consistently without fail, your body gets adapted to it. But be careful of not lifting too much weights which your body can't take, it may also cause soreness. Proceed in grades and don't just start lifting the heaviest weight around in the gym.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think we should start a gym defectors thread for those who hit the gym in "that" age with all the fitness diet regimen to desperately get that six pack but were too lazy to continue in it and end up sporting a beer belly munching potato crisps and pizzas at home.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    As Abdullah719 said, it's normal. You always get that soreness when you start lifting weights for the first time or an extended period of abstinence. All the flabby relaxed muscles start getting tight and it causes soreness in the first week or so. You have to fight through it, if you're doing it for the first time around, you may find it a bit difficult to move your arms and the resting position of your arms may take a slightly flexed position. Especially considering that you're just around 14, it is natural. But the pain goes away as you do it consistently without fail, your body gets adapted to it. But be careful of not lifting too much weights which your body can't take, it may also cause soreness. Proceed in grades and don't just start lifting the heaviest weight around in the gym.
    Haven't lifted a single weight. Was just fitness testing. Made us do a lot: flexed arm hang, push ups, sit ups, beep test.

Have never been a lazy person, always played sports especially a lot more in the last 2 years. Just don't do these kind of strength exercises. I know the soreness will go away, just annoying and painful.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    He's like 13 yrs old.

If anything is suggest him not to be hitting weights

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think we should start a gym defectors thread for those who hit the gym in "that" age with all the fitness diet regimen to desperately get that six pack but were too lazy to continue in it and end up sporting a beer belly munching potato crisps and pizzas at home.
    Can't stand people with fat bellies and thin arms.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Realized how weak I am
    Eat more in general, but particularly try drinking an extra glass of milk every day and also try to get 8 hours of sleep every day.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If you try to lift too much weight, either you won't be able to lift it or if you do, you'll do it with such bad form that it will probably injure you.
    Last edited by Haroon786; 23rd September 2016 at 05:15.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    Eat more in general, but particularly try drinking an extra glass of milk every day and also try to get 8 hours of sleep every day.
    Kinda confused about eating part, over eating is also bad, right? So what am I supposed to be doing? Milk is not a problem, love milk.
    Can we be happy with 7 hours of sleep reminds me, it's 12:30 I should sleep lol

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Kinda confused about eating part, over eating is also bad, right? So what am I supposed to be doing? Milk is not a problem, love milk.
    Can we be happy with 7 hours of sleep reminds me, it's 12:30 I should sleep lol
    Based on the information you've given, you exercise 5 days a week in your school for a probably an hour each day and this is new for you in terms of intensity. This will expend calories, so you will feel hungrier and will want to eat more and also if you want to gain muscle from doing press ups and sit ups (assuming you have no belly fat) then you have to intake more protein, for a kid that's best done by drinking more milk.

Yes, lol you should be sleeping right now.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He's like 13 yrs old.

If anything is suggest him not to be hitting weights
    Lol that's too young. I thought he was around 15. Anyway a lot of teens start hitting the gym early around 15 these days (not necessarily lifting heavy weights).

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's racist...

...to the fat population.

Anyway if you've got a fat pot belly, chances are that you're gonna have fat and flabby arms as well unless you're suffering from Cushing's..

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    You mean @Mamoon, before he started the 5x5 program.

Where the hell is he these days?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

He's retired.

Bukwaas kar ke or sun ke thak gaya.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    u will not survive in south india.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    He's retired.

Bukwaas kar ke or sun ke thak gaya.
    He'll be back. Mamoon's retirements are like Afridi's: subject to change.

My signature is appropriate, then.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lol that's too young. I thought he was around 15. Anyway a lot of teens start hitting the gym early around 15 these days (not necessarily lifting heavy weights).
    I started lifting age 14 - stopped after a few months due to exams and now 4 years later started back in February. I think if you have good form, then age 15 is absolutely fine to lift weights at.

How old are you, if you don't mind ?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I started lifting age 14 - stopped after a few months due to exams and now 4 years later started back in February. I think if you have good form, then age 15 is absolutely fine to lift weights at.

How old are you, if you don't mind ?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That's racist...

...to the fat population.

Anyway if you've got a fat pot belly, chances are that you're gonna have fat and flabby arms as well unless you're suffering from Cushing's..

Quote Originally Posted by anuk View Post
    u will not survive in south india.
    Lol.

Wasn't expecting to be accused of being racist and hating @Mamoon and to be given a location warning off a single post.

@Nostalgic, your memory is excellent, I don't tend to remember too many of my posts, although I do remember the one in question you are referring to. Mamoon will probably resurface sometime soon, hopefully.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I would certainly recommend lifting weights.

Start with just the 20kg barbell and perfect the form, Alan Thrall and Mark Rippetoe have excellent videos on form and the latter even has a book called Starting Strength (also the name of his lifting program) and that's pretty much all the basic knowledge you need to start or restart lifting.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    speaking of fitness, my body fat is down to 7% now. the lowest it's ever been i think. but the problem is all this running has meant i have lost whatever gains i made through strength training. i do love running tho, i'm currently sitting at work day dreaming about going for a run this evening...i must gett back on a proper program and start bulking up soon.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would certainly recommend lifting weights.

Start with just the 20kg barbell and perfect the form, Alan Thrall and Mark Rippetoe have excellent videos on form and the latter even has a book called Starting Strength (also the name of his lifting program) and that's pretty much all the basic knowledge you need to start or restart lifting.
    Lol I went to gym for a few months years back, then retired. Then once again went for a few months only to reitre again.

Will probably make a comeback again after a few months off.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lol I went to gym for a few months years back, then retired. Then once again went for a few months only to reitre again.

Go for 2-3 years then you should be set for a decent physique.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Go for 2-3 years then you should be set for a decent physique.
    Yeah. I was lean to begin with before I started hitting the gym. So developed an Asad Shafiq kinda physique, only a bit taller after working out for a few months. But after I stopped, have been developing a slight flab in the midsection, have to become fit again so that I can take 10 guys on my own.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yours is a nazuk body type, so don't let the ego decide your weights.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1660 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There are no talented youngsters to replace you

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How do you guys train legs or how often Squats with weights are done?

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Want to run so badly, but my ankle has been injured for 4 months now.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    How do you guys train legs or how often Squats with weights are done?
    Do squats and dead lifts.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Do squats and dead lifts.
    I do squats want to know the frequency i do it every 5th day but remains sore for 2 days minimum.

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I was lean to begin with before I started hitting the gym. So developed an Asad Shafiq kinda physique, only a bit taller after working out for a few months. But after I stopped, have been developing a slight flab in the midsection, have to become fit again so that I can take 10 guys on my own.
    I'm bulking and will continue for the next 4-5 months, so obviously with the muscle there will be some fat involved. ATM, I want 18" arms and a big chest - bf % is around 18% though, so it's kind of average but I'm prioritising muscle over fat loss right now.

Easier to burn fat when you have more muscle.