Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    I do squats want to know the frequency i do it every 5th day but remains sore for 2 days minimum.
    3 times a week, 3 sets of 5 and yes they hurt a lot.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    3 times a week, 3 sets of 5 and yes they hurt a lot.
    Thanks.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Thanks.
    No problem.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    He's like 13 yrs old.

If anything is suggest him not to be hitting weights
    14 not 13

Haven't lifted a single weight.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    14 not 13

Haven't lifted a single weight.
    Bodyweight exercises and cardio is the way to go at that age. From what I remember, that's all Goku did.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak_Fan View Post
    Yours is a nazuk body type, so don't let the ego decide your weights.
    have seen you too mate, you're not exactly the spitting image of Sallu Khan in Dabang.

but tbf the gym was empty that late in night, so the ego thrill to lift heavy to impress the girls didn't kick in yet.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    have seen you too mate, you're not exactly the spitting image of Sallu Khan in Dabang.

but tbf the gym was empty that late in night, so the ego thrill to lift heavy to impress the girls didn't kick in yet.
    You must be confusing me with someone else. I don't even have to workout, I breathe my way to muscles.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak_Fan View Post
    You must be confusing me with someone else. I don't even have to workout, I breathe my way to muscles.
    I think you may have breathed in something else as well..

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Really satisfied with my gains over the past 2 months since Ive come to Canada. The gym here is free for students and less than a 10 minute walk from my residence. Amazing gym! Plus I get half price subway so on workout days I get a whole grain foot long with double meat tuna. That's 8 scoops of Tuna. About 75 grams of proteins right there for one meal and it's just 5 dollars for me. The only problem is that unlike Pakistan where the hot weather puts you off over here in Canada it's the opposite. The weather has become pretty cold at night over the past 3 days and that's the only time I can go to the gym so I haven't been going the past week.Used to just go in my gym clothes then come back and shower but now I will have to go in warm clothes and use the lockers etc which will be a hassle.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    Really satisfied with my gains over the past 2 months since Ive come to Canada. The gym here is free for students and less than a 10 minute walk from my residence. Amazing gym! Plus I get half price subway so on workout days I get a whole grain foot long with double meat tuna. That's 8 scoops of Tuna. About 75 grams of proteins right there for one meal and it's just 5 dollars for me. The only problem is that unlike Pakistan where the hot weather puts you off over here in Canada it's the opposite. The weather has become pretty cold at night over the past 3 days and that's the only time I can go to the gym so I haven't been going the past week.Used to just go in my gym clothes then come back and shower but now I will have to go in warm clothes and use the lockers etc which will be a hassle.
    Push-ups bro, push-ups.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Push-ups bro, push-ups.
    That's kids stuff. Do that when I miss gym days in my room

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tuition pays for the rec center.

Locker isn't an issue, you get used to guys changing in the locker room.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Tuition pays for the rec center.

Locker isn't an issue, you get used to guys changing in the locker room.
    I know i don't need to pay for it. Haha that isn't the problem I have with the locker room. It's just that it's a hassle when previously I could just walk straight to the fitness centre in my gym clothes

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know i don't need to pay for it. Haha that isn't the problem I have with the locker room. It's just that it's a hassle when previously I could just walk straight to the fitness centre in my gym clothes
    Haha it's still better than fobs working out in jeans & polos.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Need some advice.. I feel like I'm doing too much cardio to supplement the weight lifting.

Nutrition is decent, but feel like I'm going overboard with cardio. We're talking 2-3 times of jogging a week, each session being 20-25 mins.

Here's the thing though. I'm on the lighter side atm, but despite that, I gain weight pretty fast. I can gain and lose weight fast, but it's the muscle which takes a while to build.

So yeah is it too much..? :/

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need some advice.. I feel like I'm doing too much cardio to supplement the weight lifting.

Nutrition is decent, but feel like I'm going overboard with cardio. We're talking 2-3 times of jogging a week, each session being 20-25 mins.

Here's the thing though. I'm on the lighter side atm, but despite that, I gain weight pretty fast. I can gain and lose weight fast, but it's the muscle which takes a while to build.

So yeah is it too much..? :/
    If you're skinny, cut back on cardio. That's what I've heard, though oddly enough I actually gained 25 lbs this year (still lean) despite jogging so much.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    If you're skinny, cut back on cardio. That's what I've heard, though oddly enough I actually gained 25 lbs this year (still lean) despite jogging so much.
    how much more do I cut back though, that's what I'm wondering, just remove it altogether for now?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much more do I cut back though, that's what I'm wondering, just remove it altogether for now?
    Pretty much all of it if you're real thin. Gotta let that blubber stack up.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Squat is the King of weight lifting right and it's so important to incorporate it into your plan but I have a little issue with my wrist and in general just don't have the confidence to do that exercise, are there any alternatives?

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    The Squat is the King of weight lifting right and it's so important to incorporate it into your plan but I have a little issue with my wrist and in general just don't have the confidence to do that exercise, are there any alternatives?
    Squat machine or deadlift?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 15 months of 0 zero activity and a lot of sitting I now have a bulging tummy along with very skinny arms, chest, legs. Im 5 10 and weigh around 65 kgs and this was my weight 15 months ago but back then I went to the gym and was very fit but after such a long time of sitting I have gained a lot of fat and lost a lot of muscle. How should I proceed now? Should I first lose 5-8 kgs and then put on muscle or go straight towards the bulking approach and lost the fat later? If I start losing now I wil turn very skinny, my arms and legs would probably look like sticks.

Advice of anybody who has had a similar experience would be very appreciated

I think Ahmed Shehzad has more talent than Sachin Tendulkar ever had
    -Razzaq

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Squat machine or deadlift?
    Dead lift I do a lot, but is that really an alternative? and Squat Machine I don't know how to operate

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moiza View Post
    After 15 months of 0 zero activity and a lot of sitting I now have a bulging tummy along with very skinny arms, chest, legs. Im 5 10 and weigh around 65 kgs and this was my weight 15 months ago but back then I went to the gym and was very fit but after such a long time of sitting I have gained a lot of fat and lost a lot of muscle. How should I proceed now? Should I first lose 5-8 kgs and then put on muscle or go straight towards the bulking approach and lost the fat later? If I start losing now I wil turn very skinny, my arms and legs would probably look like sticks.

Start bulking up. 5 10 and 64 kg is underweight unless you have really low body fat which as you say you don't. Bulk up until you're around 75 kg and then cut

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Dead lift I do a lot, but is that really an alternative? and Squat Machine I don't know how to operate
    Wait are you serious ?

Your wrist hurts when you squat where your wrist is under no stress whatsoever but it doesn't when you deadlift where you're using wrists a lot more ?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Depends on how fat you are.

I'd suggest just getting fitness first, so don't drop your calories but do cardio 3-4 times a week.

Also putting on muscle is quite a generic term, if you use a squat heavy program, then most of your muscle gains will be in the lower body which you may not want. If it's a big upper body you want then focus on bench press (not just triceps and chest, but also shoulders, traps, forearms and upper lats are also worked), barbell rows, deadlifts (similar in terms of muscle groups used to squats but the back is worked more as well as biceps), chin ups/pull ups, dips and of course, everyone's favourites barbell/dumbbell curls.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Wait are you serious ?

Your wrist hurts when you squat where your wrist is under no stress whatsoever but it doesn't when you deadlift where you're using wrists a lot more ?
    I never explained properly, when my right wrist is cocked back it feels a great deal of strain and it does tend to cock back when am gripping the bar for the squat. It got hurt during a summer job a while back. When am deadlifting I don't cock my wrist back, it's pretty much vertical.

A friend did recommend a wider grip but I haven't tried that yet maybe that would help my wrist issue, another issue I have is position of the bar it's just not right I can't seem to get it low enough beyond the fragile bone

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I never explained properly, when my right wrist is cocked back it feels a great deal of strain and it does tend to cock back when am gripping the bar for the squat. It got hurt during a summer job a while back. When am deadlifting I don't cock my wrist back, it's pretty much vertical.

A friend did recommend a wider grip but I haven't tried that yet maybe that would help my wrist issue, another issue I have is position of the bar it's just not right I can't seem to get it low enough beyond the fragile bone
    Your arms are only there to support the bar in squats, so use a overhand grip and squeeze the bar hard so that your hands don't slip out of position, they should be in a similar position in terms of angle as when you are benching.

If you use a wide grip then you risk losing upper back tightness and if you lose upper back tightness, then you risk losing tightness in the abdomens, when you lose tightness in the abdomens your lower back rounds and you can overbalance and the bar can potentially land anywhere.

I suggest watching youtube videos, read Mark Rippetoe's book, get a personal trainer for a couple of sessions or one of the jacked guys in your gym who have perfect form and you secretly are jealous of (happens to everyone) to spot you and ask for tips etc.; other than that I would suggest asking someone to record you on a side view and see where you're going wrong and that should make it clearer as to what is the solution to your technical flaws.

BTW, I'm focussing on upper body these days.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how fat you are.

I'd suggest just getting fitness first, so don't drop your calories but do cardio 3-4 times a week.

Also putting on muscle is quite a generic term, if you use a squat heavy program, then most of your muscle gains will be in the lower body which you may not want. If it's a big upper body you want then focus on bench press (not just triceps and chest, but also shoulders, traps, forearms and upper lats are also worked), barbell rows, deadlifts (similar in terms of muscle groups used to squats but the back is worked more as well as biceps), chin ups/pull ups, dips and of course, everyone's favourites barbell/dumbbell curls.
    A 34 inch stomach with 11.5 inch hiceps. This is how fat I am

I used to love these exercises back when I was going to the gym regular. I used to do a 3-4 days a week program which only had compound exercises. Bench, rows, pull ups, deadlifts, squats and push-ups were all I did throughout the week with the occasional Curls and Tricep stuff. These compound exercises really murder your muscles.

-Razzaq

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    A 34 inch stomach with 11.5 inch hiceps. This is how fat I am

I used to love these exercises back when I was going to the gym regular. I used to do a 3-4 days a week program which only had compound exercises. Bench, rows, pull ups, deadlifts, squats and push-ups were all I did throughout the week with the occasional Curls and Tricep stuff. These compound exercises really murder your muscles.
    What body type do you want ? Lean with some muscle or big muscle ?

I'm 6'2 and If I lost all my fat, at best I would be around 85-90 kg so I'm not sure whether you're genetically small or what but 65 kg is very small for a 5'10 person.

I absolutely hate squats, doesn't mean I wouldn't do them but I still hate them to the core.
    Last edited by Haroon786; 25th October 2016 at 19:39.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Your arms are only there to support the bar in squats, so use a overhand grip and squeeze the bar hard so that your hands don't slip out of position, they should be in a similar position in terms of angle as when you are benching.

If you use a wide grip then you risk losing upper back tightness and if you lose upper back tightness, then you risk losing tightness in the abdomens, when you lose tightness in the abdomens your lower back rounds and you can overbalance and the bar can potentially land anywhere.

I suggest watching youtube videos, read Mark Rippetoe's book, get a personal trainer for a couple of sessions or one of the jacked guys in your gym who have perfect form and you secretly are jealous of (happens to everyone) to spot you and ask for tips etc.; other than that I would suggest asking someone to record you on a side view and see where you're going wrong and that should make it clearer as to what is the solution to your technical flaws.

BTW, I'm focussing on upper body these days.
    Thanks for the advice and I never envy those jacked guys am always in admiration of their body and effort they put in having grown up seeing a Goldberg or a Batista display their incredible feats of power and strength, will ask someone in the gym next time to assist me

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice and I never envy those jacked guys am always in admiration of their body and effort they put in having grown up seeing a Goldberg or a Batista display their incredible feats of power and strength, will ask someone in the gym next time to assist me
    TBH, As long as you remain consistent over several years, you can easily get good numbers on the main lifts. It's all about aiming for small improvements each week.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    TBH, As long as you remain consistent over several years, you can easily get good numbers on the main lifts. It's all about aiming for small improvements each week.
    Am looking to improve my overall conditioning as I took up MMA recently as well. Need to increase my strength, I know it takes a while doesn't it; how many times a week you lift in the gym

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What body type do you want ? Lean with some muscle or big muscle ?

I'm 6'2 and If I lost all my fat, at best I would be around 85-90 kg so I'm not sure whether you're genetically small or what but 65 kg is very small for a 5'10 person.

I absolutely hate squats, doesn't mean I wouldn't do them but I still hate them to the core.
    Lean with some muscle. I would ideally want to be around 68 which is quite good for a person with my height. You look decent enough.

I know this is quite over used but I actually have very sucky genetics. All my family members are really slim with bulging tummies. If I start a junk food marathon I wont gain an ounce of weight anywhere besides my stomach. Every extra calories goes straight to the tummy If you live in Pakistan half the hardwork in the gym is undone by eating roti. This area of the world has real poor food selection.

Absolutely hated squats. I have really tiny legs, embarrassingly tiny. Squats used to take a lot out of me, it was real mental stress just to think about the squats you have to do in the gym. I skipped so many days because of this In my best days I used to squat 40kgs whereas my deadlift was around 115 kgs, I could even do more on the deadlifts but the grip wasnt strong enough.

-Razzaq

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Am looking to improve my overall conditioning as I took up MMA recently as well. Need to increase my strength, I know it takes a while doesn't it; how many times a week you lift in the gym
    3 times, even 4 times when I'm not sore.

Also used to do cardio 4-5 times a week but don't do it often now because of uni.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lean with some muscle. I would ideally want to be around 68 which is quite good for a person with my height. You look decent enough.

I know this is quite over used but I actually have very sucky genetics. All my family members are really slim with bulging tummies. If I start a junk food marathon I wont gain an ounce of weight anywhere besides my stomach. Every extra calories goes straight to the tummy If you live in Pakistan half the hardwork in the gym is undone by eating roti. This area of the world has real poor food selection.

Absolutely hated squats. I have really tiny legs, embarrassingly tiny. Squats used to take a lot out of me, it was real mental stress just to think about the squats you have to do in the gym. I skipped so many days because of this In my best days I used to squat 40kgs whereas my deadlift was around 115 kgs, I could even do more on the deadlifts but the grip wasnt strong enough.
    What I would say is to be able to run 1-2 miles on a treadmill at a decent pace.

Then do a compound heavy lifting program but also do cardio on rest days.

Diet wise, losing fat just cut calories as long as you cut calories it doesn't matter what you eat you'll lose fat. For muscle, obviously eat more calories and intake of protein should be a gram per kg of body weight.

It's just a mental thing in regard to squats they use most of the same muscles that deadlifts do. Start with an empty bar and go from there. Having a power stand also helps.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I get big arms? I've been going gym since january, excellent diet but arms still look like twigs, any advice?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    3 times, even 4 times when I'm not sore.

Also used to do cardio 4-5 times a week but don't do it often now because of uni.
    How is it going by the way, you were interested in economics I think

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    How is it going by the way, you were interested in economics I think
    Reading Economics and Accounting and am now in the second year. First year was fine, managed to do a couple of internships and now in the second year, which is a level above in difficulty as expected and looking for industrial placements for next year.

What about you, you're studying engineering I think from posts on the RTT IIRC ?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    How do I get big arms? I've been going gym since january, excellent diet but arms still look like twigs, any advice?
    Dips, bench, triceps extensions, chin ups, barbell curls, dumbbell curls, hammer curls and dumbell bench press.

Also, it depends on what training you've been doing, your genes, how much you're eating, how much you're sleeping and how much time you're giving yourself to recover.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Reading Economics and Accounting and am now in the second year. First year was fine, managed to do a couple of internships and now in the second year, which is a level above in difficulty as expected and looking for industrial placements for next year.

What about you, you're studying engineering I think from posts on the RTT IIRC ?
    That's good, 2nd year is challenging no doubt; work really hard and try to get a high mark even if your 2nd year is not worth a lot in terms of your overall degree. iA you find a placement. Yeah in my final year now studying Aero Eng, has been very challenging also had some other issues while doing my course but thanks to Allah somehow managed to get into my final year and need to make it count.

Btw went Gym today and did what you asked and one of the helpers gave me great advice. He tried to get me to do the standard squat but given that my right wrist flexibility is non existent due to past injury he showed me how to do the front squat with a cross arm grip and I managed to do that, hopefully the exercise is just as effective as the standard squat but either way it's probably the best alternative for me.

The only issue with the exercise is that perhaps it might cause problems in the future when I begin to add more weight given that there is no room for error as far as balance is concerned

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That's good, 2nd year is challenging no doubt; work really hard and try to get a high mark even if your 2nd year is not worth a lot in terms of your overall degree. iA you find a placement. Yeah in my final year now studying Aero Eng, has been very challenging also had some other issues while doing my course but thanks to Allah somehow managed to get into my final year and need to make it count.
    So you're applying for grad schemes atm ?

Btw went Gym today and did what you asked and one of the helpers gave me great advice. He tried to get me to do the standard squat but given that my right wrist flexibility is non existent due to past injury he showed me how to do the front squat with a cross arm grip and I managed to do that, hopefully the exercise is just as effective as the standard squat but either way it's probably the best alternative for me.

The only issue with the exercise is that perhaps it might cause problems in the future when I begin to add more weight given that there is no room for error as far as balance is concerned
    That is good to hear, the front squat I find scary too because it looks dangerous and you're resting the bar on an area that's like only an inch wide (your shoulder/throat ? girdle - the bony horizontal line that aligns your shoulders) which means form needs to be perfect.

You might not get as much gains as you would if you did squat, but honestly speaking deadlifts, leg extensions and the other machine exercises (not sure what they're called since I don't use them) are enough for the legs. If you want massive legs, then by all means continue doing front squats or back squats if your wrist gets better but as long as you have decent legs then you should focus on upper body movements.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    So you're applying for grad schemes atm ?

That is good to hear, the front squat I find scary too because it looks dangerous and you're resting the bar on an area that's like only an inch wide (your shoulder/throat ? girdle - the bony horizontal line that aligns your shoulders) which means form needs to be perfect.

You might not get as much gains as you would if you did squat, but honestly speaking deadlifts, leg extensions and the other machine exercises (not sure what they're called since I don't use them) are enough for the legs. If you want massive legs, then by all means continue doing front squats or back squats if your wrist gets better but as long as you have decent legs then you should focus on upper body movements.
    I haven't to be honest, last year spent too much time on applications and my grades took a hit and was ill prepared for the two interviews I had which didn't go well. This year just focusing on doing my work and there are always loads of grad schemes etc to apply in 2017 even around August/September but I should be done around June.

I think I've been hell bent on wanting to find an alternative to the squat as it's been emphasised how it's like the best exercise in lifting, full body work out and how important it is to incorporate it into workout plan otherwise I wouldn't care about it because my legs are pretty huge and strong, upper body needs a great deal of work though

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I haven't to be honest, last year spent too much time on applications and my grades took a hit and was ill prepared for the two interviews I had which didn't go well. This year just focusing on doing my work and there are always loads of grad schemes etc to apply in 2017 even around August/September but I should be done around June.

I think I've been hell bent on wanting to find an alternative to the squat as it's been emphasised how it's like the best exercise in lifting, full body work out and how important it is to incorporate it into workout plan otherwise I wouldn't care about it because my legs are pretty huge and strong, upper body needs a great deal of work though
    For me the vast majority of exams are in May, only a couple in this term but one is imminent. So I'm juggling both applying and revising atm, personally I want to be employed as soon as I graduate, as that would allow me to progress unto the next step in life.

I'm not squatting atm; focussing on mainly benching and deadlifts mixed with other compounds and bicep lifts as I want to get the upper body muscle before losing fat for the summer next year. I'm actually a bit fat now, but I lost 15 kg last year so I know how to gain it and also how to lose it, so no worries about that. My aim is 100kg bench press for 3x5 and 180 kg deadlift for 2x5 by summer time but as long as I'm gaining muscle I'm not too bothered about 3 month or 6 month targets

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    For me the vast majority of exams are in May, only a couple in this term but one is imminent. So I'm juggling both applying and revising atm, personally I want to be employed as soon as I graduate, as that would allow me to progress unto the next step in life.

I'm not squatting atm; focussing on mainly benching and deadlifts mixed with other compounds and bicep lifts as I want to get the upper body muscle before losing fat for the summer next year. I'm actually a bit fat now, but I lost 15 kg last year so I know how to gain it and also how to lose it, so no worries about that. My aim is 100kg bench press for 3x5 and 180 kg deadlift for 2x5 by summer time but as long as I'm gaining muscle I'm not too bothered about 3 month or 6 month targets
    True same here, I just want to start working soon iA.

Which other compounds you mix those exercises with and what is you bicep/tricep routine like in terms of the number/types of exercises and reps/sets. So you're eating quiet a bit these days? natural foods or protein sheik? the dude in the gym said to me pre-work out shake are a little overrated in that he believes it's all psychological and all you really need is a bit of energy like some coffee or a banana and that after the workout it depends on your life style choice you could either have a protein sheik or eat chicken breast followed by something small in the evening

Also, when I was doing the front squat the bar was not close to my throat it rested on the sides of my bicep during the cross arm grip

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    True same here, I just want to start working soon iA.

Which other compounds you mix those exercises with and what is you bicep/tricep routine like in terms of the number/types of exercises and reps/sets. So you're eating quiet a bit these days? natural foods or protein sheik? the dude in the gym said to me pre-work out shake are a little overrated in that he believes it's all psychological and all you really need is a bit of energy like some coffee or a banana and that after the workout it depends on your life style choice you could either have a protein sheik or eat chicken breast followed by something small in the evening

Also, when I was doing the front squat the bar was not close to my throat it rested on the sides of my bicep during the cross arm grip
    @shaz619 getting big huh? I see u.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    @shaz619 getting big huh? I see u.
    Not yet, long way to go. Am feeling confident mentally though for the first time in a while that's half the job done

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Lets talk about diet.

Over the last couple of months, I've been easing myself into an Intermittent Fasting routine. The most popular IF protocol recommends not consuming any calories for 16 hours a day. There are other approaches too, like 24-hour fasts 2 days a week. For details, see:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

I now have a four-hour feeding window, which is more aggressive than the site recommends, but I'm liking it better than the eight-hour feeding window. I feel no hunger during my 20-hour fasts, and although I'm training fasted, I haven't noticed any adverse effects.

Giving up breakfast has worked wonders. Cortisol, the stress hormone, is highest in the morning, because we are worried about what the rest of the day holds at work or at school. Eating with elevated cortisol levels is a surefire way of gaining fat. The same goes for post-workout, where the cortisol levels are elevated due to the stress you've put your body through. More and more nutritionists are recommending not consuming anything post-workout for at least an hour. This contrasts with the broscience mantra of an immediate post-workout shake.

I would recommend trying these things during your next cutting cycle. It has worked for me.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    Lets talk about diet.

Over the last couple of months, I've been easing myself into an Intermittent Fasting routine. The most popular IF protocol recommends not consuming any calories for 16 hours a day. There are other approaches too, like 24-hour fasts 2 days a week. For details, see:

I now have a four-hour feeding window, which is more aggressive than the site recommends, but I'm liking it better than the eight-hour feeding window. I feel no hunger during my 20-hour fasts, and although I'm training fasted, I haven't noticed any adverse effects.

Giving up breakfast has worked wonders. Cortisol, the stress hormone, is highest in the morning, because we are worried about what the rest of the day holds at work or at school. Eating with elevated cortisol levels is a surefire way of gaining fat. The same goes for post-workout, where the cortisol levels are elevated due to the stress you've put your body through. More and more nutritionists are recommending not consuming anything post-workout for at least an hour. This contrasts with the broscience mantra of an immediate post-workout shake.

I would recommend trying these things during your next cutting cycle. It has worked for me.
    What time do you eat then ?

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    What time do you eat then ?
    Noon to 4 PM. I have two large meals in that four-hour window. The workout is at 8 AM, a full sixteen hours after having last eaten. Glycogen/fat reserves fuel the workout.

The "fast" still allows for water and other non-caloric beverages, so it isn't like a Ramzan fast.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lets talk about diet.

But breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    But breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
    It is. You just "break fast" at noon. ;)

Ever noticed how, if you have breakfast, you're hungry two hours later and can't wait until it is lunchtime? What makes it worse is that breakfast foods are invariably carb-heavy, with breads, sugars and whatnot. That is a surefire recipe for fat gain, what with elevated cortisol.

Try giving it up for a month or so. You won't regret it.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Venue
    London, United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the basic advice anyone can give if you want muscle building. Eat egg whites. It works. Keep taking it. Works for me, I have least 8-12 a day.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is. You just "break fast" at noon. ;)

Ever noticed how, if you have breakfast, you're hungry two hours later and can't wait until it is lunchtime? What makes it worse is that breakfast foods are invariably carb-heavy, with breads, sugars and whatnot. That is a surefire recipe for fat gain, what with elevated cortisol.

Try giving it up for a month or so. You won't regret it.
    To lose weight, I gave up lunch. Worked fine for me.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I used to do the same thing when I started out as well but you shouldn't be cocking your wrist when squatting.

Even though every photo of people demonstrating correct squat form shows them with bent wrists, you want to hold the bar like the example on the right. If you can't do that then you probably need to work on your shoulder flexibility. Don't be afraid to put the ego to one side and lower the weight drastically and work your way back up again with the correct form.

Like Haroon said, grab a copy of Starting Strength, it should be required reading for everyone who lifts weights imo. There's also a ton of videos online where Rippetoe demonstrates proper form and corrects common mistakes.

I haven't lifted in a long, long time (Years, rather than months) but I will start tomorrow morning. Not too late for me to work on making my test debut

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    I used to do the same thing when I started out as well but you shouldn't be cocking your wrist when squatting.

Even though every photo of people demonstrating correct squat form shows them with bent wrists, you want to hold the bar like the example on the right. If you can't do that then you probably need to work on your shoulder flexibility. Don't be afraid to put the ego to one side and lower the weight drastically and work your way back up again with the correct form.

Like Haroon said, grab a copy of Starting Strength, it should be required reading for everyone who lifts weights imo. There's also a ton of videos online where Rippetoe demonstrates proper form and corrects common mistakes.

I haven't lifted in a long, long time (Years, rather than months) but I will start tomorrow morning. Not too late for me to work on making my test debut
    Those pictures are amazing! I am pretty much the dude on the left and I can't handle that position given that my right wrist flexibility is poor due to a past injury and I'd feel a great deal of pain. I have tried to get into the position displayed in the right picture but have been unable to, I need to find a way to make me shoulders a lot more flexible and possibly stronger as well in order to perform the squat.

Never too late! people often mistake physical prime to be youth

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those pictures are amazing! I am pretty much the dude on the left and I can't handle that position given that my right wrist flexibility is poor due to a past injury and I'd feel a great deal of pain. I have tried to get into the position displayed in the right picture but have been unable to, I need to find a way to make me shoulders a lot more flexible and possibly stronger as well in order to perform the squat.

Try shoulder dislocations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02HdChcpyBs

Another very important thing to take note of in those photos is the back. See the way he's really squeezing his shoulder blades together in the right hand photo? It gives you that 'shelf' on which to rest the bar and means you don't need your wrists under the bar for support. You want to imagine you're trying to grip something between your shoulder blades

This video should start at the correct point but if not, skip to 4:10 to the bit where he demonstrates the difference between high and low bar squats.

https://youtu.be/2eZ1HzoH0Rw?t=4m10s

See how in the low bar position he brings his shoulder blades together, which brings his arms back and straightens his wrists? That's what you should be aiming to do.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I would recognize that picture anywhere...

Starting Strength is a terrific book. It is really all one needs not just to learn the correct form for the big five exercises, but also understand things like moment arms, fulcrums, gravity etc.

@shaz619, if you can't find the book, look for Mark Rippetoe's videos on YouTube. They are the next best thing. There's a series he did with Bret from Art of Manliness, which are very instructive.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's all uphill until 25. From there it's all downhill. The longer range of physical prime years are probably 15-45. Those are the best 30 years physically. But you can still work out after that; Just look at Imran Khan. The guy can do 50 push-ups and he isn't even in his physical prime.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another very important thing to take note of in those photos is the back. See the way he's really squeezing his shoulder blades together in the right hand photo? It gives you that 'shelf' on which to rest the bar and means you don't need your wrists under the bar for support. You want to imagine you're trying to grip something between your shoulder blades

This video should start at the correct point but if not, skip to 4:10 to the bit where he demonstrates the difference between high and low bar squats.

See how in the low bar position he brings his shoulder blades together, which brings his arms back and straightens his wrists? That's what you should be aiming to do.
    Thanks for the advice Superman!

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Superman!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

I would recognize that picture anywhere...

Starting Strength is a terrific book. It is really all one needs not just to learn the correct form for the big five exercises, but also understand things like moment arms, fulcrums, gravity etc.

@shaz619, if you can't find the book, look for Mark Rippetoe's videos on YouTube. They are the next best thing. There's a series he did with Bret from Art of Manliness, which are very instructive.
    Thanks guys!

I will need to practice squeezing my shoulder blades together, heard about starting strength to; may check the videos out of that dude

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    It's all uphill until 25. From there it's all downhill. The longer range of physical prime years are probably 15-45. Those are the best 30 years physically. But you can still work out after that; Just look at Imran Khan. The guy can do 50 push-ups and he isn't even in his physical prime.
    Am not sure, I have a mate who's a successful lifter and I recall him giving a pretty decent explanation in regards to why that's not the case when it comes to physical peak but will ask him again and post it in this thread whe

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark Rippetoe is amazing, as is Alan Thrall.

Just watching the videos of them two, helped me correct my form.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There ya go, those are all the videos you need to succeed, watch them, then watch them again and watch them 10 times again after that. While practising your lifts, you will then become a master once you follow all the instructions in the videos.

I have now stopped going to the gym, and have bought my own power rack, bench, Olympic bar and plates and work out in my shed. It keeps me more motivated and this why i dont miss workouts and is way quicker, especially if your gym only has one rack and bench and is always busy. It can be a nuisance and demotivate you.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also if you are struggling for form, then just keep practising with empty barbell, make sure its an Olympic one and not a kids one. While watching all the videos above, again and again, i cant stress that enough.

If i was to start all over and knew the kind of information Mark and Alan give, i will happily have paid over £500 for those videos, now they are free so take advantage of them. They will improve your lifts and give you gains like no other.

When i started i must have watched these videos 100 times each, if it was not for them my form would suck and i wouldn't have any gains at all, probably just nasty injuries, so let me say it again, watch those video again and then watch them again and then again and again, all while practising your lifts.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    The tuna at Subway is very fattening because they add a lot of mayo to it. It won't be wrong to call it mayo with a bit of tuna actually.

If you intend to lose fat which I'm sure you do, it's fair to say that you are not going to see those abs anytime soon thanks to consuming 8 scoops of tuna on workout days, which I presume are 3-4 days a week.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The tuna at Subway is very fattening because they add a lot of mayo to it. It won't be wrong to call it mayo with a bit of tuna actually.

If you intend to lose fat which I'm sure you do, it's fair to say that you are not going to see those abs anytime soon thanks to consuming 8 scoops of tuna on workout days, which I presume are 3-4 days a week.
    Having worked at subway before, this is very true. The tuna comes in these regular plastic bags, which already has plenty of calories. Then you pour pretty much the entire bottle of mayo into it and just mix it with your hands.

One benefit of working there was getting a free sandwich per shift, so I'd just get the tuna without the mayo and make a sandwich from that. Was still pretty fulfilling.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That's just one meal though and I tend to eat pretty healthy otherwise. And why would I wanna see those abs anytime soon when I can already see them perfectly

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That's just one meal though and I tend to eat pretty healthy otherwise. And why would I wanna see those abs anytime soon when I can already see them perfectly

Easy fix, ask for less or no mayo at all.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No the tuna is mixed with mayo. That's why i don't ask for mayo separately

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Unless you're training for the Olympics or planning on fighting manny pacquiao this weekend a bit of mayo won't kill you. So long as he controls his calorie intake he doesn't need obsess over little things like that, real challenge is avoiding all the fried food etc

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Unless you're training for the Olympics or planning on fighting manny pacquiao this weekend a bit of mayo won't kill you. So long as he controls his calorie intake he doesn't need obsess over little things like that, real challenge is avoiding all the fried food etc
    A 'bit of anything' won't kill you, but you avoid things which are easily avoidable and having 8 scoops of tuna on training says is certainly avoidable and unnecessary. He will be better off having Turkey breast etc.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)

Tuna is mixed with large quantity of mayo as part of the preparation.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I haven't eaten at subway in a while but can't recall them preparing their food with excessive mayo etc is this Subway in America or Pakistan?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No the tuna is mixed with mayo. That's why i don't ask for mayo separately
    Interesting, didn't know that.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I haven't eaten at subway in a while but can't recall them preparing their food with excessive mayo etc is this Subway in America or Pakistan?
    It is the same everywhere. The tune is pre-mixed with loads of mayo.