Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A question to Indian PPers. I ordered my supplement stack from UK and the import duty I am being asked to pay by partner courier company Aramax is 100%.

Is the duty really this high on supplements? From what I researched before, it was supposed to be only about 40-50%.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak_Fan View Post
    A question to Indian PPers. I ordered my supplement stack from UK and the import duty I am being asked to pay by partner courier company Aramax is 100%.

Is the duty really this high on supplements? From what I researched before, it was supposed to be only about 40-50%.
    I find it hard to believe you didnt find the same supplement somewhere in india!

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    I find it hard to believe you didnt find the same supplement somewhere in india!
    There are no official MyProtein distributors in India, so I preferred the main website.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Some Amir Khan video is going viral

What is it about

(The Indian actor in 3 idiots )

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

What is it about

It is a motivation Video

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

What is it about

Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post
    It is a motivation Video

Slog

Jawaab e Shikwa is out aswell

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody had acne problems due to working out? I have acne and I hate it more than anything but for the past few months my face has been clear but as soon as I started working out 3 days ago pimples started popping up here and there. Someone who has had similar problems please help me

I think Ahmed Shehzad has more talent than Sachin Tendulkar ever had
    -Razzaq

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan-Italia-Deutschland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I used to have this terrible acne problem which used to get worst during workout days. Honestly nothing worked out for me. But now after two years my skinbus much clearer and it has improved even more since I have restarted my gym routine. If you are in you late teens or early 20s you will have to live with them for few years. They will eventually disappear. All you can do it to eat healthy and drink loads of water. Best wishes

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moiza View Post
    Has anybody had acne problems due to working out? I have acne and I hate it more than anything but for the past few months my face has been clear but as soon as I started working out 3 days ago pimples started popping up here and there. Someone who has had similar problems please help me
    you are probably vitamin A and D deficient, top up on these use cod liver oil supplements.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roaccutane is what you need, go to a Dermatologist and tell him how the acne is affecting you. Once he prescribes you start on a higher does and cruise at a low dose of say 20mg Mon,Wed,Fri,Sunday and you will never get Acne again.....

"Everything else seems so superfluous." ~ Albert Einstein on the Bhagavad-Gita

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti View Post
    Roaccutane is what you need, go to a Dermatologist and tell him how the acne is affecting you. Once he prescribes you start on a higher does and cruise at a low dose of say 20mg Mon,Wed,Fri,Sunday and you will never get Acne again.....
    do you take it for a 2-3 month period or continue even after it has cleared out?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you take it for a 2-3 month period or continue even after it has cleared out?
    Good question, how long you will take it depends on you. From personal experience whenever I got on roaccutane it cleared me then once I was off it the acne came back, for some ppl you only need to do one course and you will be clear but not for others. For me, I suggested to my Derm whether I could be on a low dose like 20mg a day 4 times a week year round and he said that was ok provided my blood work be done every 6 months. I have now been on it for 9 years blood work has been perfect and have not had acne over these years and have clear skin, but due to my skin tone being fair I am more prone to sunburn due to the roaccuttane. As I am not much of a beach person it doesn't affect me at all as I hardly get an opportunity to be under the sun much.

It comes down to you as a person:

1) Does acne come back after Roaccuttane ?

2) Do you want clear skin for life ?

If the answer for the above 2 is YES, then what I explained is the only solution. It is safe and healthy from my personal experience.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on 10mg alternate days roaccutane for a whole year till last August and it solved my mild acne troubles for good and I had been clear since being off it but working out is causing the acne to come back.

Low dosage roaccutane for an extended period is the best acne treatment ever! It works wonders if you dont have severe acne.

-Razzaq

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question, how long you will take it depends on you. From personal experience whenever I got on roaccutane it cleared me then once I was off it the acne came back, for some ppl you only need to do one course and you will be clear but not for others. For me, I suggested to my Derm whether I could be on a low dose like 20mg a day 4 times a week year round and he said that was ok provided my blood work be done every 6 months. I have now been on it for 9 years blood work has been perfect and have not had acne over these years and have clear skin, but due to my skin tone being fair I am more prone to sunburn due to the roaccuttane. As I am not much of a beach person it doesn't affect me at all as I hardly get an opportunity to be under the sun much.

It comes down to you as a person:

1) Does acne come back after Roaccuttane ?

2) Do you want clear skin for life ?

If the answer for the above 2 is YES, then what I explained is the only solution. It is safe and healthy from my personal experience.
    9 years, wow. I expect you to have mountains of moisturizers at home. If you take break from accutane even after such a long spell does it come back? And did you have severe acne to begin with?

-Razzaq

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9 years, wow. I expect you to have mountains of moisturizers at home. If you take break from accutane even after such a long spell does it come back? And did you have severe acne to begin with?
    I have been on Roaccuttane on and off 5 times over the years before I went on my cruise mode. Each time I got off accutane the acne came back in about 8 weeks, when I started working out I noticed acne on my shoulders were bit of a problem, as you are aware there is no point in having a good body if you have acne plaguing it. Once I went on cruise mode for 9 years, it changed my life, my skin looks really good, no more acne or acne scars and only during winter time does my lips get a little dry which petroleum jelly can easily fix rather than that, LIFES GOOD on accuttane, zero side effects. This product is god send........

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And did you have severe acne to begin with?
    It wasnt severe, but it was enough to annoy the heck out of me. And also I dont plan on stopping accuttane ever so I cannot answer whether it would come back after such a long time.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low dosage roaccutane for an extended period is the best acne treatment ever! It works wonders if you dont have severe acne.
    Doing this will not only keep your skin clear and looking good but gives you next to ZERO sideeffects such as from a heavy dose...

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I have been on Roaccuttane on and off 5 times over the years before I went on my cruise mode. Each time I got off accutane the acne came back in about 8 weeks, when I started working out I noticed acne on my shoulders were bit of a problem, as you are aware there is no point in having a good body if you have acne plaguing it. Once I went on cruise mode for 9 years, it changed my life, my skin looks really good, no more acne or acne scars and only during winter time does my lips get a little dry which petroleum jelly can easily fix rather than that, LIFES GOOD on accuttane, zero side effects. This product is god send........
    i doubt it does anything about scars lol!

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i doubt it does anything about scars lol!
    No it wont do anything to fix existing scars, what I meant was no future acne = no future scars. ;)

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cardio? Ain't nobody got time for that. People who are not strong enough to lift/bench end up taking it.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    Cardio? Ain't nobody got time for that. People who are not strong enough to lift/bench end up taking it.
    The three complex lifts (bench, deadlift and squat) are enough to work your core and cause fat loss with good diet. You don't need cardio or target abs exercise at all

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Signed up for gym again. Maybe 3rd time is the charm.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Or you could do both. Instead of running on treadmill, I play basketball for cardio and once in a while jog outside.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    The three complex lifts (bench, deadlift and squat) are enough to work your core and cause fat loss with good diet. You don't need cardio or target abs exercise at all
    The reason why it's called cardio is because it's good for the heart and that's why I do it. My heart becomes stronger from cardio and it helps me with lifting too.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thivagar View Post
    Signed up for gym again. Maybe 3rd time is the charm.
    Plenty of resolutioners out there in January!

Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Or you could do both. Instead of running on treadmill, I play basketball for cardio and once in a while jog outside.
    Some "cardio people" at my gym sweat for about thirty minutes and on their way to the locker room, they step on the weight scale, and see how much (water) weight they lost during one session.

Yeah, I don't mind basketball etc., that's fine. Personally prefer swimming though.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Deadlifted 350 today. I can handle more than that easily although I'm not too heavy on playing with fire since I have had problems with my back in the past.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Deadlifted 350 today. I can handle more than that easily although I'm not too heavy on playing with fire since I have had problems with my back in the past.
    Take it easy man.

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Plenty of resolutioners out there in January!

Some "cardio people" at my gym sweat for about thirty minutes and on their way to the locker room, they step on the weight scale, and see how much (water) weight they lost during one session.

Yeah, I don't mind basketball etc., that's fine. Personally prefer swimming though.
    I don't believe in resolutions, if you want to make a change you'd do it today. You'd think successful people wait for resolutions ? Heck no. Tandoori Chicken, Butter Chicken, Goat curry and Naan was bomb though.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't believe in resolutions, if you want to make a change you'd do it today. You'd think successful people wait for resolutions ? Heck no. Tandoori Chicken, Butter Chicken, Goat curry and Naan was bomb though.
    My point was that gym is always packed with new members in January who stop going after first two weeks. Absolute nightmare to survive these people.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Well done. I've only ever hit 315, barely.

Do you use mixed grips at that weight?

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    Well done. I've only ever hit 315, barely.

Do you use mixed grips at that weight?
    Yes, mixed grips.

I also thought about wearing gloves for lifting because I have calluses but I would've lost my natural grip wearing them so I couldn't be bothered.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just eat one naan on the weekends then.

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Just eat one naan on the weekends then.
    Can't face handle the fandom and women after losing wait, i'll stick to being fat.

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    My point was that gym is always packed with new members in January who stop going after first two weeks. Absolute nightmare to survive these people.

These people are the real losers. They have the word "stupid" plastered on their forehead. They come in with gym gloves, shaker, protein shake, beats headphones, do bicep curls all day, jog on treadmill for 10 minutes and adios.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Its been a year (minus ramzan and the month after it) that i've been going to gym now. Have seen a lot of improvement in my body, both shape and strength wise.

I didnt follow any diet plan. Ate everything like usual but just cut down the junk food by around 30% of what i used to eat. Results have still been quite good. Hope to make more progress this year.

I think the Key is to make lifestyle changes which you can manage for many years to come. That way the progress/weight loss/weight gain or whatever your goal is becomes easy to maintain once acheived. If you try to take a short cut and stop eating the good stuff all of a sudden, you might lose 15 pounds in 2 months but you will gain it back because you WILL eat like a maniac sooner or later.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shoulder injury is getting better. Hope to start week commencing 6th february and start a creatine cycle again

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Last month i started with Cardio and was supposed to finish my First cycle of 30 days cardio on 9th Feb but unfortunately yesterday i suffered from Jumper's knee. Probably i will take a rest for 2 days and will restart my second cycle which includes Light weightlifting alongside cardio. On a side note i gained 2 Kg during the last month and i did very intense Hiit training. I am actually confused by my progress, my body fat has decreased considerably as my abdominal muscles are becoming evident but at the same time my weight has increased.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzurri View Post
    Last month i started with Cardio and was supposed to finish my First cycle of 30 days cardio on 9th Feb but unfortunately yesterday i suffered from Jumper's knee. Probably i will take a rest for 2 days and will restart my second cycle which includes Light weightlifting alongside cardio. On a side note i gained 2 Kg during the last month and i did very intense Hiit training. I am actually confused by my progress, my body fat has decreased considerably as my abdominal muscles are becoming evident but at the same time my weight has increased.
    That's normal. Your body will gain at the start because of the water weight added with all of the carbs you consume and protein mixed together. It's always like that because when you're starting initially that's when you usually consume the most for your energy intake. All of the water you drink during workouts is a big factor too. You'll slowly start cutting after a while so I wouldn't worry.

I gained more than four kilograms at the start instead of losing.
    Last edited by Abdul; 8th February 2017 at 01:10.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Everyone makes fitness sound so complicated. It's not hard to stay fit.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    That's normal. Your body will gain at the start because of the water weight added with all of the carbs you consume and protein mixed together. It's always like that because when you're starting initially that's when you usually consume the most for your energy intake. All of the water you drink during workouts is a big factor too. You'll slowly start cutting after a while so I wouldn't worry.

Inflammation is an issue too, right at the start of a new exercise cycle. That too recedes after a while.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So what bro-science have you guys heard in the gym? Recently heard one girl say to another that the cycle would reduce thigh fat and sit-ups would reduce stomach fat

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Aussieland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    started GYM after 10 years of GAP,
    anytips on losing weight and Diet ?
    Yes i do want build some muscles as well

Yesterday is the past.Tomorrow is the future.Today is a gift.That's why it's called the "present"

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Thats good to hear. I am sticking with bike for now and will start my second cycle on 9th. All is want is to have is strong lean muscles

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectionPersonified View Post
    started GYM after 10 years of GAP,
    anytips on losing weight and Diet ?
    Yes i do want build some muscles as well
    I was kind of in same boat 2 months back. I started working out after 12 year.

I decided to hire a personal trainer who can guide me for the first few weeks. I didn't have too much weight to reduce but I was very unfit with high body fat %

In last 2 months, I have now reduced my body fat level to 15% (started from almost 30%) and grown the muscle mass by almost same.

I didn't follow very rigid diet plan but reduced the carb intake. Weekly 2-3 meals with carb and rest no carb meals.

Breakfast : Oats/Granula/yogurt/fruits/honey/eggs
    Lunch : Chicken breast/Fish with vegetables and salad or beans
    dinner: soup/fish/chicken/ salads

On carb days : I take toasts/rice/roti and other Indian dishes

Complete no to sugar in tea/coffee and zero to indian sweets

This has worked well for me till now.

Laughing Faces Don't Mean Absence Of Sorrow. It Means That They Have The Ability To Deal With It

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    So what bro-science have you guys heard in the gym? Recently heard one girl say to another that the cycle would reduce thigh fat and sit-ups would reduce stomach fat
    Inexperienced.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Working out is not my cup of tea. Maintaining a healthy diet and abstaining from smoking, alcohol etc. works for me.

Maybe if I was short or ugly, I would have been a gym rat to compensate for my shortcomings and boost my self-confidence.

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Working out is not my cup of tea. Maintaining a healthy diet and abstaining from smoking, alcohol etc. works for me.

Maybe if I was short or ugly, I would have been a gym rat to compensate for my shortcomings and boost my self-confidence.
    You care enough to comment about it. It is a hobby/self improvement and nothing to do with curing insecurities. Working out helps you mentally as well.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    You care enough to comment about it. It is a hobby/self improvement and nothing to do with curing insecurities. Working out helps you mentally as well.
    I'm a fan of kicking the hornet's nest when it comes to gym rats, I find them to be a funny lot. Nothing helps you out mentally more than working your brain. Reading and gaining knowledge is the greatest source of mental nutrition. Gym doesn't compare.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Guys, I don't care. I really, really don't care. Sit down and listen to me talking about how much I don't care because I really need you guys to note how much I don't care. Did I tell you I don't care? It is very important to me that you understand just how little I care."

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On Topic: I've been saying this forever but it's time to get back in the gym soon. Like I said in the my cricket section, I'm going to try and learn to bowl left handed and really improve my batting which means I'm going to have to work on improving my strength if I'm going to manage anything other than floaty Majid Haq style pies and I'll need the fitness in order to bat for longer periods.

That poor squat rack has no idea of the pain I'm about to unleash upon it.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    On Topic: I've been saying this forever but it's time to get back in the gym soon. Like I said in the my cricket section, I'm going to try and learn to bowl left handed and really improve my batting which means I'm going to have to work on improving my strength if I'm going to manage anything other than floaty Majid Haq style pies and I'll need the fitness in order to bat for longer periods.

That poor squat rack has no idea of the pain I'm about to unleash upon it.
    Uncle Allah Allah karne ki umar hai.. choro bowling wowling, qamar pe kich par jayegi

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Uncle Allah Allah karne ki umar hai.. choro bowling wowling, qamar pe kich par jayegi
    Too late for that son, I ruptured a disc in my early twenties and was this close to having surgery to screw the vertebrae together. Lifting weights really helps with the pain management, the increased core strength from squats and deadlifts takes a lot of pressure off the back.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Too late for that son, I ruptured a disc in my early twenties and was this close to having surgery to screw the vertebrae together. Lifting weights really helps with the pain management, the increased core strength from squats and deadlifts takes a lot of pressure off the back.
    Woah that is a completely different direction than what I have gone in. In my late teens I had a spell of over-training in the gym and messed up my back by overloading it. The doc specified no squats or deadlifts. Now that I'm in my mid twenties I have started to experiment with those two exercises again. Squats are still a big no-no, I do it once and will be bed-ridden for the next two days. However, deadlifts I can do easily and slowly and steadily built up the weight to a personal best of 250 lbs. Which is nothing much compared to some of the other lads at the gym but it's still good progress for me.

Didn't know squats and deads would be required for pain management since both lifts put considerable load on the back itself.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I should have specified that it helped for me, I don't have the medical knowledge necessary to go around recommending it for other people.

Bending is the difficult part for me, so tying laces, putting on socks, fielding a cricket ball, my back went a couple of times tackling in American football and once flipping tractor tyres in training.

Like you I never got up to any seriously heavy weight, and my deadlift always lagged a bit behind because of my back, I've found that as long as I did my best to maintain decent form squats didn't cause me too much problem. I think I got up to squatting 260 lbs at one point and a 265 lbs deadlift.

I had a minor knee surgery a couple of years ago and haven't worked out since so I'm nice and round now, will be good to get back into the swing of things.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah that is a completely different direction than what I have gone in. In my late teens I had a spell of over-training in the gym and messed up my back by overloading it. The doc specified no squats or deadlifts. Now that I'm in my mid twenties I have started to experiment with those two exercises again. Squats are still a big no-no, I do it once and will be bed-ridden for the next two days. However, deadlifts I can do easily and slowly and steadily built up the weight to a personal best of 250 lbs. Which is nothing much compared to some of the other lads at the gym but it's still good progress for me.

Didn't know squats and deads would be required for pain management since both lifts put considerable load on the back itself.
    There is nothing wrong in doing both .... what you demonstrated is the classic example of not knowing your limitations. Our ego and bravado can sometimes be our own worst enemy.

The rule is .... if you can't do the exercise with correct form.... stop and drop the weight to where you can keep proper form. Just because you lifted a PB one day doesn't necessarily mean you can or should push through it with improper form on another day. Our bodies are funny little things, don't always work how we expect or want them to. Every workout day is a different day.

You should actually find out what the issue is, and not rely on verbal reasoning from your doctor. You might want to try hardening your torso and core with something called the 'suitcase carry' for 3 sets of 30-60 secs each arm as finisher for every workout for 2-3 weeks.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any of you lot on Fitocracy? https://www.fitocracy.com/

All this talk of getting back into training and I remembered I signed up on there years ago. Decent enough site for tracking your workouts and it gives you points and XP a bit like a videogame, would be good to get a PP group set up on there. Be a nice way to motivate yourself and each other imo.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Have you ever tried overhead pressing/benching?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Contrary to what a certain poster said above, working out is not relative to getting compliments or self-confidence. It is simply training for the body's muscular and circulatory system. Much better training than reading books can ever provide. Not to mention the added bonus of mental strength and emotional freedom.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Contrary to what a certain poster said above, working out is not relative to getting compliments or self-confidence. It is simply training for the body's muscular and circulatory system. Much better training than reading books can ever provide. Not to mention the added bonus of mental strength and emotional freedom.
    Why not quote him?

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not quote him?
    Because Rayyman knows better than to indulge a certain poster with the attention he so desperately craves?

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Because Rayyman knows better than to indulge a certain poster with the attention he so desperately craves?
    I think he is talking about the same poster who said that athletes are selfish and glory chasers.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It usually doesn't work like that. Most short and ugly people actually end up giving up on looks and instead opt for alternatives like mental-nutrition and academic success.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak_Fan View Post
    It usually doesn't work like that. Most short and ugly people actually end up giving up on looks and instead opt for alternatives like mental-nutrition and academic success.
    People with Short Man Syndrome opt for various alternatives, including becoming angry little gym rats. Have seen quite a few of them.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Out of this thread now. Have needled gym rats enough, which I like to do from time to time.
    Last edited by Mamoon; 9th February 2017 at 09:01.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Out of this thread now. Have needled gym rats enough, which I like to do from time to time.
    @Big Mac @Abdul

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As I said earlier:

"Guys, I don't care. I really, really don't care. Sit down and listen to me talking about how much I don't care because I really need you guys to note how much I don't care. Did I tell you I don't care? It is very important to me that you understand just how little I care."

Funny how all of us are short, ugly and suffering from one psychological disorder or another and this is what leads us to get together and offer each other advice and motivation as we aim for self improvement.

But not as funny as why Mamoon, who is so smart, beautiful, healthy and just so much better than us in every way has to scuttle around desperately looking for attention from strangers who are supposedly beneath him.

Forget short man syndrome, we need an army of psychiatrists to unpack all of his personality disorders.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone suffering from elbow pain?

It started when about a month back while doing shoulder press with dumbells. Took a couple of weeks off. Went back and tried Bench Press. Was fine for the first couple of sets, but the elbow pain flared up again when the weight became heavier. Its got to a point now that even if I lift something light (like a laptop), it hurts.

I read everywhere on forums and initially it seemed to be Tennis Elbow. But the more I read on it, the more doubts I have about it being tennis elbow. Have tried rest, ice, massage, foam roller without any success.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post

It started when about a month back while doing shoulder press with dumbells. Took a couple of weeks off. Went back and tried Bench Press. Was fine for the first couple of sets, but the elbow pain flared up again when the weight became heavier. Its got to a point now that even if I lift something light (like a laptop), it hurts.

I read everywhere on forums and initially it seemed to be Tennis Elbow. But the more I read on it, the more doubts I have about it being tennis elbow. Have tried rest, ice, massage, foam roller without any success.
    Have you seen a doctor for it?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How intense is the pain? I suffered from the same in 10th grade when my muscles and tendons were not as developed and I pushed it way too hard while throwing a cricket ball. It was so bad that I couldn't even hold a pen for a day after my sports class, so I had to skip them.

But it got better as my body developed with age. I would suggest going easy on weights as it still doesn't sound as bad as it could be. In case the pain is excessive, I would probably take a month off from lifting and see a doctor.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, from lot of overhead pressing with barbell after a long lay off from lifting. Every lifter will eventually have some elbow problems at some point. The heavier we lift, the quicker we find our weak points.

Put some volterol gel on as it has an anti inflammatory and give it a few weeks rest.

Do some heavy carries (farmers carry) few times a week to increase wrist strength, it will help you tolerate heavier weights.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Aussieland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    I was kind of in same boat 2 months back. I started working out after 12 year.

I decided to hire a personal trainer who can guide me for the first few weeks. I didn't have too much weight to reduce but I was very unfit with high body fat %

In last 2 months, I have now reduced my body fat level to 15% (started from almost 30%) and grown the muscle mass by almost same.

I didn't follow very rigid diet plan but reduced the carb intake. Weekly 2-3 meals with carb and rest no carb meals.

Breakfast : Oats/Granula/yogurt/fruits/honey/eggs
    Lunch : Chicken breast/Fish with vegetables and salad or beans
    dinner: soup/fish/chicken/ salads

On carb days : I take toasts/rice/roti and other Indian dishes

Complete no to sugar in tea/coffee and zero to indian sweets

This has worked well for me till now.
    believe me or not 90% of your diet matches mine
    lost 3.5 kg in two weeks and i feel i need to lose another 8 kg in the next 3 months .
    I will build up mescles along the way hopefully

Yesterday is the past.Tomorrow is the future.Today is a gift.That's why it's called the "present"

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I'm a fan of kicking the hornet's nest when it comes to gym rats, I find them to be a funny lot. Nothing helps you out mentally more than working your brain. Reading and gaining knowledge is the greatest source of mental nutrition. Gym doesn't compare.
    i believe theres a correlation b/w mental performance and physical fitness

ive honestly felt better mentally and intellectually when im very fit

when i was on my school and uni's rowing teams i performed better academically than later and i felt i was able to grasp concepts better as well.

so for me they go hand in hand

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    i believe theres a correlation b/w mental performance and physical fitness

ive honestly felt better mentally and intellectually when im very fit

when i was on my school and uni's rowing teams i performed better academically than later and i felt i was able to grasp concepts better as well.

so for me they go hand in hand
    Exercise is beneficial. I'm physically active as well, but lifting is not my cup of tea. I think it very overrated but that is just my opinion, don't want to offend gym rats.

I do respect the commitment though, it is not easy. I completed the StrongLifts 5x5 last year and I honestly lost motivation regularly, and it was really hard for me to get to the end. Not physically, but because of complete lack of motivation and I felt that I could be utilizing that time and effort for something else.

However, I did give it a go because I wanted to see the impact of working out on my well-being. I got stronger and fitter, but it didn't have any positive impact on me mentally. For others, it might be different though.

Being physically inactive will only lead to health problems, especially when you age. However, heavy lifting has its drawbacks too which become prominent as you age.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectionPersonified View Post
    believe me or not 90% of your diet matches mine
    lost 3.5 kg in two weeks and i feel i need to lose another 8 kg in the next 3 months .
    I will build up mescles along the way hopefully
    Good to know that.
    Last 4 days I deviated from my plan as there were few parties to attend (with Nihari, Kabab and few other my favs). So I can see the effect this week.

But anyway, I am back to my plan and now my target is to get to 12% body fat and remain around same weight. Then maintain it. So hopefully by April I should get there.

Laughing Faces Don't Mean Absence Of Sorrow. It Means That They Have The Ability To Deal With It

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it is sharp, I would suggest to check with a doctor and till then not to do any exercise which puts pressure there.

Other thing is, if your elbow is bending backwards by some degrees when you completely straighten your hand, then you can do something like I do as I have similar issue.

So while doing shoulder press or push-ups (which puts pressure on your elbow), do not lock your elbows but stop just before it is completely straight.

(Not sure if that is your case but hope it helps)

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
    If it is sharp, I would suggest to check with a doctor and till then not to do any exercise which puts pressure there.

Other thing is, if your elbow is bending backwards by some degrees when you completely straighten your hand, then you can do something like I do as I have similar issue.

So while doing shoulder press or push-ups (which puts pressure on your elbow), do not lock your elbows but stop just before it is completely straight.

(Not sure if that is your case but hope it helps)
    Not locking is advisable for many exercises including lateral/vertical squats or preacher's curls. You can have serious joint pains otherwise or even tendon injuries.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Can't be bothered to stick to a plan when I constantly stop and start, so go for a casual work out here and there; need to watch me diet

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Exercise is beneficial. I'm physically active as well, but lifting is not my cup of tea. I think it very overrated but that is just my opinion, don't want to offend gym rats.

I do respect the commitment though, it is not easy. I completed the StrongLifts 5x5 last year and I honestly lost motivation regularly, and it was really hard for me to get to the end. Not physically, but because of complete lack of motivation and I felt that I could be utilizing that time and effort for something else.

However, I did give it a go because I wanted to see the impact of working out on my well-being. I got stronger and fitter, but it didn't have any positive impact on me mentally. For others, it might be different though.

Being physically inactive will only lead to health problems, especially when you age. However, heavy lifting has its drawbacks too which become prominent as you age.
    Fair enough, it's all about whatever works for you that's the important thing. Lifting is not the be and end all of keeping fit, there are many other ways; so whatever keeps you motivated go for that. There are sports as well which many play instead of going to the gym or go jogging regularly or lift rocks in the mountain etc there are so many things you can do.

There are four types of lifters, those who see it as a sport and are very passionate about it so performance is more important then anything and it's a great thing to do in their spare time, the other individual is interested specifically in aesthetics, then there is an individual who lifts for aesthetics and also is performance oriented and finally there's a lifter who just enjoys performing such resistance exercises for their fitness in comparison to other activities.
    Last edited by shaz619; 15th February 2017 at 23:30.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    What are your top exercises guys to make your arms bigger ? and how frequently do you perform them per week

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    What are your top exercises guys to make your arms bigger ? and how frequently do you perform them per week
    Shoulder press and bicep/fore-arm curls. Punching bag as well.

I don't have a specific schedule. If I'm sore I'll rest and if I'm not then I'll work out.