Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ89 View Post
    I got a general question about weight loss. In my house, you can't eat anything except desi foods (roti & rice). I cant cook myself so us making any alternative diet is out of the question for time being.

Is there any way to lose belly fat by relying on this diet. I have lost some 2 kg in the past three months. I walk 30-40 minutes daily. No cold drinks, no sweets and no junk food. But cant seem to lose the belly fat.
    I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that if you want to lose weight, you have to burn more calories in a day than you take in. I don't think walking is gonna cut it, you need to do something more intense, maybe just jog the same amount of time or join a gym and do some cardio on those bikes they have.

Also check this website out so you know how much to be eating: http://www.calculator.net/calorie-ca....375&printit=0

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1007 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    190> comin' real soon.

Be brave and be fearless, and for God's sake, stand up for yourself.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    190> comin' real soon.
    Is that bench weight?

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Recently crossed my deadlift barrier that I have been working on for a while. Finally managed to put 3 plates on each side for one set of 5 reps. The set was at the end of a 5 set workout where I was building up the weight to a personal best of 315 lbs.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1007 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Is that bench weight?
    Bodyweight with 10% bodyfat. I was fairly chubby before but in last few months I have put on bare muscle. I despise cardio so I never focused on getting skinnier in the first place.

My bench press is 300x10.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Recently crossed my deadlift barrier that I have been working on for a while. Finally managed to put 3 plates on each side for one set of 5 reps. The set was at the end of a 5 set workout where I was building up the weight to a personal best of 315 lbs.
    Bodyweight with 10% bodyfat. I was fairly chubby before but in last few months I have put on bare muscle. I despise cardio so I never focused on getting skinnier in the first place.

My bench press is 300x10.
    Complex terms, lol.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belawal2014 View Post
    Thank you. This was really informative. See, I'm looking to eat healthier and trying to get my parents to eat healthier as well but the staple of our diet, or most desi household diets revolves around rice and roti which have a lot of carbs. This is the most difficult part for them to give up and they often ask me what they would eat instead. I understand that keto diets revolve around meats, seafood, and chicken which seems so bland for them.

What I'm looking to do is make small changes to their diets instead of abruptly putting them on the keto diet, so start off with maybe one meal a day where it's low carb, high fat. Do you think there is a big difference between a Keto diet and a low-carb, high fat diet?

Also, you mentioned that junk carbs aren't good, so is there any alternatives to white rice and roti which they can easily substitute? Do you recommend a simple switch to brown rice and whole wheat roti? Would it make a big difference?

And also, one last question for myself, what foods did you eat on your keto diet, and were you very strict while measuring the portions? or did you just eyeball 'em? Thanks.
    Ah yes, the desi diet. Six years ago, when I decided I had to lose weight and get healthier, I had to make my meals separately. Looking back, that just wasn't sustainable. Convincing my family to change was a long drawn out process, but I succeeded, and they thank me now. Some of the changes are simple swaps: replace white rice with whole grain for instance. We did also switch to coarse whole wheat flour (regular atta is fine ground). The biggest change was to give up desserts. We used to make homemade gulab jamuns. Delicious, but the last time we did, I made my wife calculate the calories. Lets just say it was an eye-opener. If you can make one change, I would recommend that it be giving up all added sugar. No desserts, no sugar in the tea, no processed junk.

Lately, I've been trying to get them to give up rice altogether. While whole grain rice is healthier, it is still very, very heavy in calories. Overeating even the so-called good calories will still result in weight gain.

As for keto vs low-carb, high fat, they are actually the same. Atkins for instance isn't really high protein, it is moderate protein, however, since I lift, I do try to get a higher amount of protein.

Finally, your question about portions etc. It has become second nature for me to keep track of not just calories but also macros, i.e. grams of the three macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein). So yes, I did keep track of them and didn't just guess.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adil_94 View Post
    @Nostalgic i've just started a keto style diet 5 days in ?

how much weight did u lose.

and when did u start reintegrating carbs back into your diet. What would u describe as good and bad carbs
    On Atkins, I lost 30lb over four months. The program actually has you reintegrate more and more carbs regularly, every two weeks or so, so that's what I did. And then after four months, I ended up going off the diet, not as part of the program, it just happened.

Good carbs would be carbs that are more fiber and less sugar. Bad carbs would be mostly sugars.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1007 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any crossfitters here?

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to get in fit without going to gym? Like using home workout

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Is eating too many egg whites harmful in summer season? How much egg whites should I eat per day on an average so that it doesn't have any side effect?
    Anyone with any idea on it?

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kukkad kamaal View Post
    Of course it is. One of the best ways to get fitter is to use your bodyweight. Many videoes available on YouTube.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kukkad kamaal View Post
    Yeah, but you need to control your diet. Otherwise, body-weight exercises won't be enough.

Of course you can start running; But that won't help you gain muscle.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Yeah, but you need to control your diet. Otherwise, body-weight exercises won't be enough.

Of course you can start running; But that won't help you gain muscle.
    Okay

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What foods should be included in sehri so that you dont lose a lot of weight and dont feel hungry throughout the day?

I think Ahmed Shehzad has more talent than Sachin Tendulkar ever had
    -Razzaq

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    worked out today. bad idea

#MPGA

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    worked out today. bad idea
    I haven't given up my 6 day split during ramzan. It kills but it's worth it. On top of that I'm aiming for 3500 calories a day so I end up almost throwing up after Sehri. But Its a small sacrifice for what I'm getting

"Our business is our business. None of your business" - Race 3

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    I haven't given up my 6 day split during ramzan. It kills but it's worth it. On top of that I'm aiming for 3500 calories a day so I end up almost throwing up after Sehri. But Its a small sacrifice for what I'm getting
    Can't u work out at night,after eating?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Is there anyone who works out but also reads taraweeh

ideally the best time to work out would be 1 hr 30 mins post Iftari. However Taraweeh means thats not possible

only realistic time is post Asar prayers and end 15-20 mins before ftari

#MPGA

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Can't u work out at night,after eating?
    Nope always do it right after waking up. Habit and it's the best time imo

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nope always do it right after waking up. Habit and it's the best time imo
    Are you sure,have seen multiple trainers tell to have lean fitness or to lose weight it's better to do morning, for buffed up body or ones losing to gain in a fit manner it's better in evenings.I always assumed u were going for the latter.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    474 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Most of my Muslim friends tell.me the problem isn't the first week of fasting but later when body starts losing it's reserves and physically it becomes harder so be cautious @aliasad1998 unless you did it before as well.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Are you sure,have seen multiple trainers tell to have lean fitness or to lose weight it's better to do morning, for buffed up body or ones losing to gain in a fit manner it's better in evenings.I always assumed u were going for the latter.
    That's just a myth. Doesn't make a difference. Don't listen to most desi trainers and their bro science

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Venue
    Sidanay
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Training is difficult in Ramadan.

I've tried training at 3.30am before sehri but leads to far too great a crash while at work. I tried training 2 hrs after iftar yesterday and had excellent energy but again, flattened out during work because of a lack of sleep. Still trying to work out the best time.

He is fundamentally aware of his aura within the team. His exhilaration infects them.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is there anyone who works out but also reads taraweeh

ideally the best time to work out would be 1 hr 30 mins post Iftari. However Taraweeh means thats not possible

only realistic time is post Asar prayers and end 15-20 mins before ftari
    Yea that's what I do. After Asr and before Aftari.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    Training is difficult in Ramadan.

I've tried training at 3.30am before sehri but leads to far too great a crash while at work. I tried training 2 hrs after iftar yesterday and had excellent energy but again, flattened out during work because of a lack of sleep. Still trying to work out the best time.
    Asides from the obvious that most gyms aren't open at 330am

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Going to play cricket today, wish me luck

I got a pull up bar last week, been doing around 15-25 per day, would do more if it wasn't Ramadan.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Slog did you finally Hit the gym or you are still contemplating it ?

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Our new ace pacer Hasan Ali appears to have hopped on to the keto bandwagon. From a recent interview:

It's almost time to break his fast. We have been chatting for half an hour. Hasan Ali is hungry. A box of cookies lies near him. Hasan refuses to look at it because he is resisting anything that has sugar in it...

"I have almost stopped eating anything sweet. For the past few months I have not been eating rice and roti. I am eating all these disgusting things that have no taste. Now I eat mostly grilled food. Having come from a desi place, I have eaten different stuff from birth. Now, when I go home I tell Ammi and Bhabhi the few things I can eat."

I'm not sure if he is keto-adapted yet, i.e. when you don't ever go out of ketosis and your body runs on ketones even if glycogen exists.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post
    @Slog did you finally Hit the gym or you are still contemplating it ?
    I went a total did 4 times to the gym in ramzan

But before it is become regular for a couple of months

I'm building muscle mass but not getting lean at all. In fact probably gained weight (good and bad)

#MPGA

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1007 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm building muscle mass but not getting lean at all. In fact probably gained weight (good and bad)
    Are you watching your diet?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I was looking for some motivation actually

Actually I started Gym in my last 2 years of Under grad because I felt very weak physically. Since I am half a inch short of 6 feet mark so I was only slightly better than Irfanullah Shah. Was quite embarassing.

Than for Next 3 years I did not look back. I guess I started from being under weight to finally hit 74kg mark. Lean & Muscular.

From Bicep size of 9 with absolute Mazdoori in Gym I reached 15 Alhamdoulillah.

Now Its been a long break and I need atleast 4-5 months to regain what I finally achieved.

The Problem is that I am having a very longgggggggg Fast and my univ is 30 min by bus so it is practically impossible to go to univ after aftaari. And Roza really takes it toll. Anyhow I will join a gym near my residence although Univ gym is much much better.

Since I have a very very high sweating tendency so I cannot do gym during Roza.

When I was in Pak I used to go to gym immediately after Maghrib prayers ie 30 min after Aftaari n than do 50 min hard workout.

Yaar why don't you go IK's way ? Do running too. Or swimming. My Gym partner in Pak had this issue (which isn't a big problem) so He used to couple running & gym or swimming and gym.

Otherwise Bhaee sahab sehri aftaari mein haath Hola rakha kerein ;)

I presume that you do a Job/run a business so Yes I know you would have time constraints. But as a Bachelor personally I want to look in best shape on Eid or on some wedding of close family member or relative so yeah you have somedays left before you wear JJ's Kurta

I will keep motivating you through this thread. Tasweerein b taang dun ga

Aor haan GRE/GMAT bhee khichh k rakh Laala.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Are you watching your diet?
    Haha no.

Man Pakistan has way too much good food especially at aftaari

After Ramzan I'll try to cut down to desi food for just Friday's and Sunday's and cut down Rotti and especially rice from my diet for the other five days

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I was looking for some motivation actually

Actually I started Gym in my last 2 years of Under grad because I felt very weak physically. Since I am half a inch short of 6 feet mark so I was only slightly better than Irfanullah Shah. Was quite embarassing.

Than for Next 3 years I did not look back. I guess I started from being under weight to finally hit 74kg mark. Lean & Muscular.

From Bicep size of 9 with absolute Mazdoori in Gym I reached 15 Alhamdoulillah.

Now Its been a long break and I need atleast 4-5 months to regain what I finally achieved.

The Problem is that I am having a very longgggggggg Fast and my univ is 30 min by bus so it is practically impossible to go to univ after aftaari. And Roza really takes it toll. Anyhow I will join a gym near my residence although Univ gym is much much better.

Since I have a very very high sweating tendency so I cannot do gym during Roza.

When I was in Pak I used to go to gym immediately after Maghrib prayers ie 30 min after Aftaari n than do 50 min hard workout.

Yaar why don't you go IK's way ? Do running too. Or swimming. My Gym partner in Pak had this issue (which isn't a big problem) so He used to couple running & gym or swimming and gym.

Otherwise Bhaee sahab sehri aftaari mein haath Hola rakha kerein ;)

I presume that you do a Job/run a business so Yes I know you would have time constraints. But as a Bachelor personally I want to look in best shape on Eid or on some wedding of close family member or relative so yeah you have somedays left before you wear JJ's Kurta

I will keep motivating you through this thread. Tasweerein b taang dun ga

Aor haan GRE/GMAT bhee khichh k rakh Laala.
    JJ ka Kurta tu fit ajayega and its not bad but I wanna progress to a level where I'm very lean and muscular. Abhi it's ok but I want to get to the next level fitness wise or even what it was 3-4 years ago. Since j started working I've just been stuck in a rut where I keep joining gym getting to some what good shape and then leaving for whatever reason and regressing. And repeat.

Yes I struggle with cardio

My problem is I get bored with cardio if I'm doing it aimlessly and when it's not part of some activity. I can't just do 30 mins of treadmill or running in the park.

In uni I used to play soccer four times a week and bike on weekends so was very good in that respect. And before that I was on a sport team at uni so scene on tha.

Here only sport is cricket and we all know it's not great cardio wise especially street cricket. Trying to find some activity. And yes time is huge issue as well.

Gmat hogaya. Apps soon

#MPGA

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    JJ ka Kurta tu fit ajayega and its not bad but I wanna progress to a level where I'm very lean and muscular. Abhi it's ok but I want to get to the next level fitness wise or even what it was 3-4 years ago. Since j started working I've just been stuck in a rut where I keep joining gym getting to some what good shape and then leaving for whatever reason and regressing. And repeat.

Yes I struggle with cardio

My problem is I get bored with cardio if I'm doing it aimlessly and when it's not part of some activity. I can't just do 30 mins of treadmill or running in the park.

In uni I used to play soccer four times a week and bike on weekends so was very good in that respect. And before that I was on a sport team at uni so scene on tha.

Here only sport is cricket and we all know it's not great cardio wise especially street cricket. Trying to find some activity. And yes time is huge issue as well.

Gmat hogaya. Apps soon

Since you are aiming for States so I think it will be next Spring or Fall. Had it been this Fall than I would have said well, 3 months to go so than You can again start playing Sports at University Level and will I.A get back to your best soon. So if it's next Fall than you will have to push yourself now.

I had great Gym partners and I was the one who pushed them first to gym (consistently) and go the extra mile too. So you've got to have a friend who doesn't allow you to get off the hook.

Remember 65 % diet & 35 % training. So Yes consistency is needed but be conscious of what you are eating and what you are eating. Nostalgic & Bic Mac can advise on diet.

Baaqi Mazdoori jaari rakho
    Last edited by TalentSpotterPk; 21st June 2017 at 00:24.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Haha no.

Man Pakistan has way too much good food especially at aftaari

After Ramzan I'll try to cut down to desi food for just Friday's and Sunday's and cut down Rotti and especially rice from my diet for the other five days
    Exactly, although I limit myself to having 1 iftaar item (samosa, pakora) a day, also trying to find the smallest one. Sometimes my mom forces me to have more because "maa ka pyaar"

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Planning to start going to the gym in July, goodlife offers free summers for 12-17 year olds. Starting summer I was planning on actually getting a membership.

Need to bowl 90MPH In general I just need to build some muscle, even 28 inch waist pants are too big for me, just to give some perspective on how skinny I am.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    Planning to start going to the gym in July, goodlife offers free summers for 12-17 year olds. Starting summer I was planning on actually getting a membership.

Need to bowl 90MPH In general I just need to build some muscle, even 28 inch waist pants are too big for me, just to give some perspective on how skinny I am.

If weather is good than learn swimming (if you haven't yet) and focus it. It was benefit you massively.

Join Gym once you attain your maximum height. Ideally after you are done with your A levels (after 18-19)

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Don't understand how people balance gym when in university.

The actual gym work I was able to make time for, and Mash'Allah my strength increased, but it's the nutrition part which is like 70% which was very hard to nail down.

Keeping track of your calories for e.g., actually prepping the meals which takes its own time. Found it very time consuming.

Yeah I know about myfitnesspal, but only had time for it end of the day by which time damage was done.

I don't have issue staying in shape or "fit" aka at a certain healthy body fat percentage alhamdullilah, because it takes minimal dietary effort with about any 20-25 mins activity 5 days a week, but it's the muscle building because you have to pay so much attention to what you eat, especially because I was on a budget in uni otherwise would've gone wild on the Subway across the street day in and day out.

Maybe I will wait it out till I graduate Insh Allah and only then go at it.

The non-Muslim folks usually go hard at the gym over the summer but with Ramzan it's tough to do esp if back home because then you get the long lecture of why it is unsafe to go the gym at 12 am even though the place is called 24 hour fitness...
    Last edited by Suleiman; 21st June 2017 at 05:46.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Havent stopped gyming in ramzan. 1 hour before iftaar i hit the gym for about 40 minutes. Just light weighted exercises to stay in touch. Gotta say its hard work after a full day of fasting at a time when your energy levels are minimal. Have slimmed down a bit this ramzan , not sure i wanted to. Face looks slimmer too. I'm sure its just excess fat and not muscle. At least I hope so.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If weather is good than learn swimming (if you haven't yet) and focus it. It was benefit you massively.

Join Gym once you attain your maximum height. Ideally after you are done with your A levels (after 18-19)
    I know how to swim, I don't really do it often though, maybe like once a year,2-3 times at best.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need advice. I have never been to Gym except 1-2 times in whole my life.
    Now I am very much interested in it. I am 35 years old. my weight is about 80 Kg.
    I want to join gym for general fitness and also to reduce my tummy size.

Can anyone tell me about good gym around Model town lahore.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing more I go for walk in model town park, walking circle is about 2.25km. Whenever I regularly go for that I usually lose weight quickly but tummy size remains almost same.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

lot of people say not to go to gym before 18,19 as going before that adversely affects height

in any case you are too young. Id suggest pick up a sport (squash, tennis, soccer or a combination). Will help you throughout life as well if you get good at it

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikball View Post
    I need advice. I have never been to Gym except 1-2 times in whole my life.
    Now I am very much interested in it. I am 35 years old. my weight is about 80 Kg.
    I want to join gym for general fitness and also to reduce my tummy size.

Can anyone tell me about good gym around Model town lahore.
    google should be a good guide

depends on budget which type of gym you go to

if you can spare the cash i would suggest start with a more high end gym. Gives more motivation to actually show up and there is access to better trainers

#MPGA

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I know how to swim, I don't really do it often though, maybe like once a year,2-3 times at best.
    lot of people say not to go to gym before 18,19 as going before that adversely affects height

in any case you are too young. Id suggest pick up a sport (squash, tennis, soccer or a combination). Will help you throughout life as well if you get good at it

Follow Slog's advice. If you go for healthy balanced diet along with swimming than your biceps, wings, shoulders will improve quite abit and your body will get broad.

At present your natural body growth hasn't ssized so lifting weights would be a terrible idea.

Many at 13-14-15 look exactly like you but does it really matter ? For me what matters is how I will look when I am 20-25 or 30 when I am about to enter professional life or when I intend to marry or attract potential good proposals or make myself worthy to be considered for good proposals.

In my early 20's I started gym. I looked underweight, could hardly lift a 5kg rod for 1st 5 days. Felt embarassed. Had Bicept size of hardly 8-9 inches. 3 years later with sheer hardwork at gym along with optimum healthy diet by bicep size became 15 and my BMI reached 22-23 where previously it was hardly 16-17.

For now eat well, sleep well, play sports and enjoy life.

Read Cpt Rishwat's post aswell.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @TalentSpotterPk you overrate swimming a lot and this is coming from a guy who swims 5 times a week. There are much better forms of cardio out there.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @TalentSpotterPk you overrate swimming a lot and this is coming from a guy who swims 5 times a week. There are much better forms of cardio out there.

Naaa. You did not get my point. I never mentioned or claimed that swimming is the best cardio. When your body gets broad than it gets filled up provided you eat well. And a 14-15 Years old kid doinh swimming does not go against nature but body building is totally going against nature. And I do not recommend body building at 13-14-15 when your natural body growth hasn't yet seized.

This is mot just from experience but I am a sudenr of Bio-medical sciences aswell.

Personally if a underweight kid at age 14 wants to do body building He should go ahead but I advise as per my knowledge & experience.

You on the other hand at 19-20 can get equally fitter if you go for GYM+swimming or Gym+running or even GYM. As per your time constraints.

Some people dream of physiques which require running+swimming+gym combo along with high protein diet & high vitamins intake. But all what matters is your Body Goal.

If a person is overweight and just wants to get rid of his Pot like belly than controlled diet and running or controlled diet & swimming are more than enough to achieve his goal.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Swimming is excellent for cardiovascular fitness and provides a full body work out, boxer's incorporate it into their training very often to compliment other work outs as well.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Swimming is a good exercise but its mostly recommended for Buddhas who have weak bones/arthiritis etc. Swimming doesnt put as much pressure on your bones like in other cardio exercises. The young ones can incorporate other cardio exercises in their regime as well. Dont rely solely on swimming.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Follow Slog's advice. If you go for healthy balanced diet along with swimming than your biceps, wings, shoulders will improve quite abit and your body will get broad.

At present your natural body growth hasn't ssized so lifting weights would be a terrible idea.

Many at 13-14-15 look exactly like you but does it really matter ? For me what matters is how I will look when I am 20-25 or 30 when I am about to enter professional life or when I intend to marry or attract potential good proposals or make myself worthy to be considered for good proposals.

In my early 20's I started gym. I looked underweight, could hardly lift a 5kg rod for 1st 5 days. Felt embarassed. Had Bicept size of hardly 8-9 inches. 3 years later with sheer hardwork at gym along with optimum healthy diet by bicep size became 15 and my BMI reached 22-23 where previously it was hardly 16-17.

For now eat well, sleep well, play sports and enjoy life.

Read Cpt Rishwat's post aswell.
    I've done some research an most say it's fine to start at the age of around 14-15, plus, I'm not going to go the gym for 3 hour sessions, I'm not trying to bodybuild with huge muscles, I just want to get some strength in my upper body to help me with the sports I play like Cricket (bowling) and Soccer.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I've done some research an most say it's fine to start at the age of around 14-15, plus, I'm not going to go the gym for 3 hour sessions, I'm not trying to bodybuild with huge muscles, I just want to get some strength in my upper body to help me with the sports I play like Cricket (bowling) and Soccer.

As you desire.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    As you desire.
    The thing is I already play sports so I end up doing quite a bit of running, but my upper body won't just get strong by itself right?

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The thing is I already play sports so I end up doing quite a bit of running, but my upper body won't just get strong by itself right?
    It would be better to start with body weight exercises at an age when you are still growing. A person who does body weight exercises is much more fitter than a person who lifts weight.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    It would be better to start with body weight exercises at an age when you are still growing. A person who does body weight exercises is much more fitter than a person who lifts weight.
    I do pull ups, push ups, and sit ups at home

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No swimming is one of the best forms of cardio.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do pull ups, push ups, and sit ups at home
    Yes but thats not all. There are triceps and shoulder dips, variations of chin ups (plain, rotatory, even one arm which is extreme) , variations of push ups (plain, diamond, knuckle etc) targetting different areas like triceps, biceps or even chest. In squats you might start with simple squats and then gradually move on to jumping squats and other variations and finally to weighted squats. There are Lunges and then there are calf body weight exercises too which are important. If you do these for few months, you'll become a beast. From there on you can ease into weighted exercises by coupling them with these exercises. Finally in few years you can switch completely to weights if you feel the need for intense strength training. Btw , according to bro science, weight training till mid teens doesnt allow your height to grow. I'm not sure how true that is though. Sounds ** to me but still. .

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    Yes but thats not all. There are triceps and shoulder dips, variations of chin ups (plain, rotatory, even one arm which is extreme) , variations of push ups (plain, diamond, knuckle etc) targetting different areas like triceps, biceps or even chest. In squats you might start with simple squats and then gradually move on to jumping squats and other variations and finally to weighted squats. There are Lunges and then there are calf body weight exercises too which are important. If you do these for few months, you'll become a beast. From there on you can ease into weighted exercises by coupling them with these exercises. Finally in few years you can switch completely to weights if you feel the need for intense strength training. Btw , according to bro science, weight training till mid teens doesnt allow your height to grow. I'm not sure how true that is though. Sounds ** to me but still. .
    Thanks for the tips. here's a list of what I do right now, I'll still continue them. Keep in mind it is Ramzan right now so I'd usually do more:

-20-30 Pull ups
    -25-40 push ups
    -50 squats (sometimes I hold onto 2 five pound dumbbells we have because why not)
    -50 calf raises ( literally just stand there and repeatedly go on my tippy toes)
    -1-2 minutes of hops (sounds weird I know but I watched some video for runners and it's like a basic hop, you do it for 30 seconds and your calves will start to burn so you know it does benefit.
    -20-30 sit ups

All these I do across the day.

The thing about height is only true for like 10 year olds as far as I know, I've read that ages 14-15 can start weight training.

I'll try using different variations of push ups like you said.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can do one-arm push-ups

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I can do one-arm push-ups
    I'll break my nose attempting one

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll break my nose attempting one
    These are some good body-weight workouts:

tumblr_mzrtvh8vjE1r2hj64o1_500.jpg (500×708)

074f76d38d59b140c64e9d8aa4768b38.jpg (736×1040)

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...20.ICG3KE8LDDA

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    These are some good body-weight workouts:

tumblr_mzrtvh8vjE1r2hj64o1_500.jpg (500×708)

074f76d38d59b140c64e9d8aa4768b38.jpg (736×1040)

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...20.ICG3KE8LDDA
    Damn thanks! What does each one work out?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Damn thanks! What does each one work out?
    They are both mostly legs, core, triceps and chest.

There are more in the link I put though.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    They are both mostly legs, core, triceps and chest.

There are more in the link I put though.
    I can't do all of them, I'll die

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    google should be a good guide

depends on budget which type of gym you go to

if you can spare the cash i would suggest start with a more high end gym. Gives more motivation to actually show up and there is access to better trainers
    Thanks.

There are two Gyms near my house.

One monthly fees is Rs.500/Month with no admission fees, alot of people go there.
    Other one Monthly fees Rs.2500/Month and admission fees Rs.2000. This one is bit better. But one thing that bother me about this one was its Trainer was bulky. So I thought when he cant care about himslef then how can he train me? But my wife says may be he is Pehlwan. Because I saw few Pehlwans doing their things along side this Gym sometimes.

I dont know how to decide which Gym is better (General Question)?

There is a very good fitnss club Shapes, but that is too expensive. For Gym only they charge Rs.10,000/Month with Admission Fees Rs. 18,000.
    Sometimes I think I should use Shapes or other Good Gym for 1-2 Month, then when I have some routine set and know what types of excercises I need, then I should switch to low cost gym.
    What do you people suggest?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

You have got lots of advice so now it's upto you as to how you filter than advice and what you do.

Best wishes & prayers for the Results.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No advice for me?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1007 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Goals.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How to gain some weight?

I ate a loat but still that's not showing in the body.I read that genetics play a major role in your body type and the way you look.Is it that because of why i can't get some weight.If so let me know some tips you people know to overcome this.Right now am ready to do anything to increase 10-12 kgs.Can i use supplements for this and how its going to effect positively and negatively in my body,Does by doing proper workout can i increase weight?

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Protea Fan View Post
    How to gain some weight?

I ate a loat but still that's not showing in the body.I read that genetics play a major role in your body type and the way you look.Is it that because of why i can't get some weight.If so let me know some tips you people know to overcome this.Right now am ready to do anything to increase 10-12 kgs.Can i use supplements for this and how its going to effect positively and negatively in my body,Does by doing proper workout can i increase weight?
    If you're young, i.e. under 20, you can try GOMAD. Be warned though, it may really make you go mad.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone please give me advice I've been ill and lost a lot weight what can I do to bulk up a bit

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goals.

That guy is on more drugs, than the average person can afford.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diffusion View Post
    Haven't seen the video, but yes, every time you see someone who has low body fat and large muscles, something is fishy. It doesn't take away from the fact that they still do have to work extremely hard, but we can't pretend the drugs didn't play a role.

The Holy Trinity of weight training: you can be big and natural, but not lean. Or lean and natural, but not big. Or lean and big, but not natural.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1007 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diffusion View Post
    And? What's exactly wrong with that even if he did? All professional bodybuilders take them at some point in their careers. If anyone thinks otherwise, they're either misinformed or just delusional. Arnold Schwarzenegger was the main person who popularized the usage of steroids. It's common sense that you have to take them if you plan on competing professionally.

I plan on taking them also but not yet. Will wait until I'm 25.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1007 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wanted to know what's your take on bodybuilders taking steroids? @Nostalgic

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Wanted to know what's your take on bodybuilders taking steroids? @Nostalgic
    As opposed to strength or endurance, bodybuilding serves no functional purpose, so I don't really approve of bodybuilding to begin with, steroids or no. Taking steroids and hurting one's health is a fool's choice in my book, especially since the end result isn't necessarily aesthetic, which is supposedly the whole purpose of the field. I've seen natural strength and endurance aficionados with far more aesthetic bodies than the stereotypical bodybuilder, and they are healthier too. My goal has always been low body fat with moderate muscle size (coupled with a healthy lifestyle), something that is easily achieved with strength training, or even natural bodybuilding. I wouldn't even think of using this poison, and ending up a good-looking corpse at age 40.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1007 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    As opposed to strength or endurance, bodybuilding serves no functional purpose, so I don't really approve of bodybuilding to begin with, steroids or no. Taking steroids and hurting one's health is a fool's choice in my book, especially since the end result isn't necessarily aesthetic, which is supposedly the whole purpose of the field. I've seen natural strength and endurance aficionados with far more aesthetic bodies than the stereotypical bodybuilder, and they are healthier too. My goal has always been low body fat with moderate muscle size (coupled with a healthy lifestyle), something that is easily achieved with strength training, or even natural bodybuilding. I wouldn't even think of using this poison, and ending up a good-looking corpse at age 40.
    Yeah, makes sense. I think most bodybuilders just take them for looking good but steroids do affect you later in life. However, I don't blame them because if their goal is to become Mr. Olympia, there is no other way around.

This is Schwarzenegger now. So flabby.

Name:  article-2633317-1DFED9C000000578-504_634x775.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  91.1 KB
    Last edited by Abdul; 21st July 2017 at 04:23.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Yeah, makes sense. I think most bodybuilders just take them for looking good but steroids do affect you later in life. However, I don't blame them because if their goal is to become Mr. Olympia, there is no other way around.

This is Schwarzenegger now. So flabby.
    He's lucky he reached this age and didn't drop dead of a heart attack thirty years ago, perhaps because while he and his peers used them, they didn't abuse them the way the competitors do today.

On the other hand, going back to strength and endurance, I see old people in my current city of residence climbing mountains, hiking, riding bikes. They are all lean, healthy and active. I would rather be them than him at age 70.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to the auggestions in the thread i have made some changes in my diet. I now have grilled chicken for lunch and corn flour roti in dinner.

Now i want to incorporate some bodyweight exercise to strenghten the muscle as i have a pretty sedentary lifestyle for the last 12 years or so. Didn't play sports in high school or uni and now job takes all the time i have. Also am slighly obese because of long sitting habit

I joined a gym too three months. I had to quit it after 40 days. The pain in my muscles was too much to bear. My forearms and back would constantly ach throughout the day as these muscles werent hit in a decade. This went on for like 3 weeks. The pain would subside after 24 hours. As soon as i hit the gym, it would again start coming back. Cramps all over my back, triceps and shoulders.

My willpower was pretty much on the ropes when i in a fit of over-inspiration decided toprogress to leg-day. I couldn't drive couldn't stand couldn't go to the toilet the day afterwards because of pain. Whatever resolve i had just evaporated after that and i quit.

Now i want to do bodyweight exercises so i have at least minimal muscle endurance and be able to do weights in the future. Thankfully I have found a park where there are pushup benches and pullup/chinup bars and couple of other stuff i can use for bodyweight and i go there four times a week.

I want tips how to do pullups/chinups for an absolute beginner as i have a hard time even hanging from the rod and my muscles start aching just like when i worked them out in the gym. Makes me feel so weak and childlike ****** that i can't even do one damn pullup

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Scitt Herman and Athlean X are the only 2 people you really need advice from. They have videos that cover everything and most importantly, are completely natural athletes.