Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

"Nobody should hold anything against Mohammad Amir" : Geoffrey Boycott

Known for his forthright views on cricket Geoffrey Boycott continues to entertain viewers and listeners with his unique analytical foresight of the game he loves and is passionate about. A former England player and captain, Boycott played 108 Test matches scoring an impressive 8114 runs, with a highest score of 246 not out against India at Leeds.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Boycott spoke about Pakistan's outstanding recent performances in Test matches under the guidance of Misbah-ul-Haq, his impression of Younis Khan as one Pakistan's top batsmen, gave his views on Yasir Shah and looked forward to Pakistan's tour of England in 2016.

PakPassion.net : How impressed were you with the Pakistan Test team during the recently concluded series against England?

Geoffrey Boycott : I thought they played very well. The big difference was that they had some experience and maturity from people in the middle order. When they lost a couple of wickets the captain Misbah-ul-Haq played remarkably well. He has a very simple way of playing and realised that England’s bowling depends greatly on James Anderson and Stuart Broad and England’s spinners are very average. So what he did was blocked seven bells out of the seamers and when the spinners came on he played them easily and knocked them around at will.

In addition Younis Khan played sensibly and in the final Test match we saw the best of Mohammad Hafeez. I’ve always thought that Hafeez is a very good player and he got himself out during the series when he had got himself in. He’s a very talented player and the Pakistani batsmen showed maturity. They always had somebody who showed maturity at the right moment.

I always felt that if Pakistan made enough runs then the Pakistan spinners could create problems for England even though Pakistan’s spin bowling isn’t quite up to the standard of what I have seen in the past. It was always going to be a case of if the ball turns then the England batting isn’t very good.

PakPassion.net : Despite not being able to play international cricket at home, Pakistan have steadily climbed the ICC Test rankings which is quite a remarkable achievement isn’t it?

Geoffrey Boycott : My view on Pakistan cricket has never changed going back to the days when I played. Pakistan has always had youngsters who come through and who nobody has ever heard of, but who have got raw talent. They come from humble beginnings and despite not very good facilities, they have this raw talent and desire to play well and they play very well on surfaces like those in the UAE which are similar to what they have back home in Pakistan. I’m not surprised that Pakistan keeps producing world-class cricketers as the country is very passionate about cricket.

PakPassion.net : I guess a tougher challenge will be presented for Pakistan next year in England?

Geoffrey Boycott : Pakistan like other countries have found that when you go abroad to play it’s not as easy. These days not too many teams are winning abroad and they don’t seem to have the rounded cricketers who can perform on all surfaces and in all conditions.

Pakistan will be thoroughly tested next summer in England facing Broad, Anderson and company who are used to bowling in England and especially with the ball swinging in the air more. I don’t think Pakistan’s seamers are better than Anderson and Broad and if the two experienced England seamers are fit they will be a handful for the Pakistani batsmen. Even when the ball swung in the one-day series in UAE the Pakistan batsmen were getting bowled or lbw straight away and it will do a lot more than that in England as Australia found out.

PakPassion.net : Pakistan cricket was it seemed to be at an all-time low in 2010 but has steadied itself under the leadership of Misbah-ul-Haq. What are your thoughts and opinions on Misbah?

Geoffrey Boycott : I’ve always been impressed with Misbah even though I’ve never met him. I can’t say I’m speaking about a friend as I’ve never had the chance to meet him and talk to him, but I’ve watched his cricket and how he has captained and led Pakistan and he seems to me to be a fairly quiet man who is mentally strong and knows clearly what he wants from everybody. What I like about him is he doesn’t get fussed or upset, he just keeps calm. It’s easy when things are going well, the team is winning, wickets are being taken and catches are being held, anyone can captain. But, whenever things aren’t going well a team looks to the leader and the real tough part is leading when your bowlers are trying but not getting wickets and the opposition is doing well and that’s when you as a captain are on your own and you have to hold it all together. Misbah has been the glue that has held the Pakistan team together since he took over as captain. He’s as good a leader as Pakistan has had for a very long time.

PakPassion.net : As someone who played international cricket after age 40, how tough is it to keep yourself motivated?

Geoffrey Boycott : It’s harder on the body as you get older and you don’t react quite as quickly. If you’ve had a long day in the field you’ll be stiffer the next morning than you were when you were a young man. There are three things which are very important for Misbah at this stage of his career. Firstly does he still enjoy it? When he wakes up every morning does he still want to go to the cricket, is he still looking forward to playing. The day he wakes up and he’s thinking I don’t really want to go to the cricket then he should pack it in. The desire to play is the most important thing. Secondly is his fitness. Does he feel fit enough and well enough to sometimes field all day and then go out and bat the next day. Thirdly, does he still have the ability?

I can’t tell you how he feels when he gets up in the morning and whether he still wants to go to work or not. At that age I did, I loved it and that’s why I continued.

PakPassion.net : Recently Younis Khan surpassed Javed Miandad as Pakistan’s leading run-scorer in Test cricket. He’s been a superb performer for Pakistan over the years hasn’t he?

Geoffrey Boycott : I was partly instrumental in getting him to Yorkshire so I had a chance to watch him close-up and I can tell you firstly that he’s a wonderful human being. You will not find many better people than Younis Khan, he’s a top man in everything he does. He’s polite, courteous, a wonderful batsman, a great slip fielder and he’s good in the outfield and has a good arm.

PakPassion.net : How would you compare Younis Khan to Javed Miandad?

Geoffrey Boycott : I passed Garry Sobers world record of most Test runs. A couple of years later Sunil Gavaskar passed my record. That is the nature of life and sport. If I passed Garry Sobers that didn’t make me a better player than him. With different eras, different amount of Test matches, different opposition, so it’s very tough to compare. All that it says is that you were one of the best and it doesn’t make you better than the man whose record you have just passed.

PakPassion.net : Yasir Shah performed well in the two Test matches that he played against England. Were you impressed with him and do you feel he has the potential to become a top leg-spinner?

Geoffrey Boycott : Forget potential, he’s the finished article and already a very good leg-spinner. I’m not a big believer in potential, he’s a very good bowler now and if he keeps a good head on his shoulders then there is no reason why he cannot carry on and become an even better bowler. He’ll come across conditions and surfaces that aren’t as helpful as the UAE. For example not too many leg-spinners have done well in England and those will be challenges for him but he’ll be alright, he looks a good bowler. The thing that impresses me most about Yasir is that he doesn’t bowl many bad balls. If you keep bowling gift balls then there is no pressure on the batsmen to score from his good deliveries. He looks a quality cricketer.

PakPassion.net : Looking ahead to Pakistan’s tour of England next year. It’s likely isn’t it that the Pakistani players will be under greater scrutiny after the events of 2010?

Geoffrey Boycott : The Pakistani players have behaved themselves and carried themselves very well since the controversy. That’s why it’s important that the leader sets the tone and Pakistan has a very good leader in Misbah. If he comes to England next year then it’s important he stays calm and cool. If he doesn’t come to England next year then the PCB faces a tough task of finding a new leader on a tour of England.

PakPassion.net : Is it fair to say that Pakistan cricket doesn’t help itself at times, particularly the lack of stability?

Geoffrey Boycott : What is important is that there is stability from the PCB Chairman and the committee and that hasn’t always been the case in Pakistan and that hasn’t helped the players. There’s usually been trouble at mill and I’ve always felt that if you were in the Pakistan team long enough you’d get dropped, reinstated and at some stage you would become captain, because at one stage everybody got a chance to become captain and that isn’t a recipe for success. You need to have stability behind the scenes and not have all this in-fighting going on in the background. What is happening behind the scenes is important for what happens on the field. What’s happened at times is that if you were dropped and you had an influential uncle then you’d phone him up and he’d interfere and try and get you back into the team. It’s very difficult when you have all that going on and the environment it creates is not a healthy one. Look at the example of Younis Khan, how many times has he been dropped, then recalled, then made captain. He’s had a very up and down career despite being one of Pakistan’s best players.

PakPassion.net : Surely India versus Pakistan is good for cricket and something that you want to also see?

Geoffrey Boycott : Because of the strength of the Indian economy, the population and interest levels for the game, the BCCI make a lot of money. Everyone wants to play India because they themselves will make a lot of money through advertising. However the BCCI doesn’t need Pakistan. From a cricketing point of view it would be wonderful to see Pakistan and India playing each other as the series is like England and Australia. It’s unfortunate that series between Pakistan and India are so few and far between but I don’t see India changing their mind very easily as they believe they are alright and don’t need series against Pakistan. But it’s not good for cricket that India and Pakistan are not playing against each other.

PakPassion.net : Do you feel that it’s right that Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir have been allowed to resume their careers or should they have been banned for life?

Geoffrey Boycott : I’ve always believed in the rule of law. Match-fixing, spot-fixing hurts the game of cricket. Their bans could have been longer but there again I would have a strong conversation with the judge who sent them to jail. But once they have served their sentence under the rule of law then society says you should be given a second chance. If you are going to give people a second chance then it has to be all-in. Give them a proper chance, get fit, play well and if they are still good enough then give them a chance in the Pakistan team. Nobody should hold anything against Mohammad Amir. In fact this applies to any of them, or favour any of the three in any way. Amir and the other two should only get back into the Pakistan team on merit and ability.

PakPassion.net : Any advice for Mohammad Amir as he embarks once again on his quest to play for Pakistan?

Geoffrey Boycott : Yes. Don’t do it again! If you do, you will never play cricket again.

PakPassion.net : Attendances for Test cricket are dwindling around the world. What do you feel the ICC can do to reverse this trend?

Geoffrey Boycott : ICC should have done something ten to fifteen years ago. However they are too besotted by taking in easy television money. It’s very easy for administrators to wait for television companies to keep outbidding each other for television coverage. While they are doing that, television is killing the game. It’s no good having more and more television money in cricket if people are not attending matches. Crowds are going down and it’s a farce really. It’s going to get worse and if nothing is done then Test cricket will go into oblivion.

Test cricket needs to mirror the times we live in. In years gone by we didn’t have mobile phones and internet and going to the cricket was a big event. Nowadays people want everything quickly and yet Test cricket is still five days long. What needs to be done is to reduce Test matches to four days, improve over rates and the playing hours need to be changed. In the hot countries, part of the day’s play should be at night which would see people finishing work and then going to the Test match. It’s only in England where this could be a problem due to the weather, but everywhere else this should have been tried many years ago.

I keep hearing that the ICC cannot find a ball that is suitable for day/night Test cricket, well they make enough money and if they really wanted to find a suitable cricket ball then they would have invested in research and testing and found the right cricket ball by now. Test cricket could hit rock bottom if changes are not made to the playing hours and over-rates as at the moment the lack of foresight is a recipe for disaster. If the ICC keeps on putting a product out there that isn’t selling then you will go bust and Test cricket will not survive.
    Last edited by Saj; 22nd November 2015 at 18:03.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Brilliant interview.

Sir Geoffrey is quite similar to David "Bumble" Lloyd, although he was a much better player. They both love Pakistan and have straightforward and logical opinions.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't heard many known neutrals say they have anything against Amir. He has served the time and if he's good enough he should be brought back.

But seeing that's there's some political games going on in the dressing room I don't see him coming back for a some time yet. Don't see him touring England 2016 when really that's where he will be needed given the conditions.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Served his time, should be mentally prepared to cop a lot of abuse.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Served his time, should be mentally prepared to cop a lot of abuse.
    No one should give a toss about this "abuse".

If he can take it and perform then that's the end of the matter.

In Football matches you see Much more abuse than your average cricket match but no one makes it an issue there as long as it doesn't go to racial.

The real issue is the politics. And that isn't going to be resolved quick when it comes to Pakistan.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goran View Post
    So what do you want? Hang them publicly for their crime? They have been punished for what they did and should be given a second chance. Most importantly, the country needs them. Amir & Asif are two world class bowlers. If they are not allowed back, it's Pakistan's loss. All the people against their return should ask themselves if they have never lied or committed a sin.
    Fully agree. Asif should be back aswell if he shows the same magic in domestic cricket. Both are world class bowlers.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great views. Anyone who disagrees is speaking absolute roobish

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    His views on Misbah are pretty spot on but he is also pretty good on what Pakistan can expect in England next year

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2014
    Venue
    NXT Performance Center, Florida
    Runs
    Mentioned
    845 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90MPH View Post

In Football matches you see Much more abuse than your average cricket match but no one makes it an issue there as long as it doesn't go to racial.

The real issue is the politics. And that isn't going to be resolved quick when it comes to Pakistan.
    banter is allowed in football. players cuss each other in front of ref, spit, grab terrible things. they are used to it

cricket is complete different, you're not allowed to even touch your opponent

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashing_man View Post
    banter is allowed in football. players cuss each other in front of ref, spit, grab terrible things. they are used to it

cricket is complete different, you're not allowed to even touch your opponent
    Sorry I was actually talking about from the crowd POV.

Yeah Amir will face some when he's batting from some players but I'm sure he will take it.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats up with Asif? Wapda signed him and butt. but looks like PCB is creating hurdles in their return to domestic.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why shouldn't anybody hold something against the trio, Geoff? Sure, you don't - but please speak for yourself. The trio has been punished for defrauding the bookies and for violating the ICC's corruption code. And that's it.

Their fellow players and professionals, on the other hand, may have higher standards - such as the sport's image, team's image, trust, integrity, professionalism, and so on. They did not have an opportunity for an input into the judgment.

It is entirely the trio's responsibility to restore the image and everyone's trust in them. The world owes the trio nothing.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironcat View Post
    Why shouldn't anybody hold something against the trio, Geoff? Sure, you don't - but please speak for yourself. The trio has been punished for defrauding the bookies and for violating the ICC's corruption code. And that's it.

Their fellow players and professionals, on the other hand, may have higher standards - such as the sport's image, team's image, trust, integrity, professionalism, and so on. They did not have an opportunity for an input into the judgment.

It is entirely the trio's responsibility to restore the image and everyone's trust in them. The world owes the trio nothing.
    No one has the right to take the law onto their own hands. The world should not and has no right to commit contempt of court by interferring with the verdict of courts and the ICC.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFighter View Post
    No one has the right to take the law onto their own hands. The world should not and has no right to commit contempt of court by interferring with the verdict of courts and the ICC.
    And who exactly is "taking the law into their hands" by interfering with the verdict of the courts? Is someone asking the trio to be jailed for longer? Or holding a hostage until ICC turns up with a ransom?

ICC is not a legal authority. Has no "verdicts" or "laws" that the rest of the world has to pay any heeds to.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Casablanca
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bravo Geoff Boycott.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott said Amir, Asif and Butt should be "given a second chance".

Speaking to pakpassion.net, the 75-year-old said: "Give them a proper chance, get fit, play well and if they are still good enough then give them a chance in the Pakistan team.

"Nobody should hold anything against, or favour, any of the three in any way."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/34895076

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    And who exactly is "taking the law into their hands" by interfering with the verdict of the courts? Is someone asking the trio to be jailed for longer? Or holding a hostage until ICC turns up with a ransom?

ICC is not a legal authority. Has no "verdicts" or "laws" that the rest of the world has to pay any heeds to.
    The ICC is the official governing body for cricket.

If the PCB flouts the ICC's five year bans - EITHER by letting the players play during the five year ban OR by committing double jeopardy and unilaterally extending the bans, then Pakistan (and all Pakistani players) is suspended from world cricket.

Just as, for example, you have never heard of Alfredo Di Stefano - who was as good as Pele and Maradona and better than Messi - because he went to play in Colombia, which had been suspended from FIFA.

The PCB is walking a tightrope. They are unofficially obstructing Asif and Butt, but if those players sense that their exclusion is permanent they can and presumably will take the PCB to the Court of Arbitration in Sport, which has already confirmed the bans as five years only.

And if that happens, the PCB will not have a leg to stand on, and Pakistan will be given a choice between immediate reintegration or Pakistan being suspended from all cricket.

Given that you are already homeless, you can't afford to be banned too. The rest of the world would be delighted to have a cricket world with no Pakistan in it.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    The ICC is the official governing body for cricket.

If the PCB flouts the ICC's five year bans - EITHER by letting the players play during the five year ban OR by committing double jeopardy and unilaterally extending the bans, then Pakistan (and all Pakistani players) is suspended from world cricket.

Just as, for example, you have never heard of Alfredo Di Stefano - who was as good as Pele and Maradona and better than Messi - because he went to play in Colombia, which had been suspended from FIFA.

The PCB is walking a tightrope. They are unofficially obstructing Asif and Butt, but if those players sense that their exclusion is permanent they can and presumably will take the PCB to the Court of Arbitration in Sport, which has already confirmed the bans as five years only.

And if that happens, the PCB will not have a leg to stand on, and Pakistan will be given a choice between immediate reintegration or Pakistan being suspended from all cricket.

Given that you are already homeless, you can't afford to be banned too. The rest of the world would be delighted to have a cricket world with no Pakistan in it.
    All good. And this is exactly why PCB needs a precision-monitor on the trio. ICC has no control over how the players feel about the trio, how the media nailguns the trio, or how Pakistan is dragged into more controversy based on what happens with the trio (whether real or perceived). The world will continue to judge the trio on its own (regardless of what the ICC says).

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All good. And this is exactly why PCB needs a precision-monitor on the trio. ICC has no control over how the players feel about the trio, how the media nailguns the trio, or how Pakistan is dragged into more controversy based on what happens with the trio (whether real or perceived). The world will continue to judge the trio on its own (regardless of what the ICC says).
    The world i.e. the fans are free to judge the trio as they want and that is for the trio to deal with. But the PCB must control how their fellow players react to them and the ICC must react how the opposition players react to them.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world i.e. the fans are free to judge the trio as they want and that is for the trio to deal with. But the PCB must control how their fellow players react to them and the ICC must react how the opposition players react to them.
    Why should they control? Does anyone control your posting anything here? This is a free society and everyone has their opinion.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why should they control? Does anyone control your posting anything here? This is a free society and everyone has their opinion.
    This applies to fans and maybe ex players. But current team members are subject to PCB Central Contract rules and regulations and opposition players are subject to the rules and regulations of their own boards and the ICC and therefore any misconduct towards the Trio should and will be strictly be punished.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This applies to fans and maybe ex players. But current team members are subject to PCB Central Contract rules and regulations and opposition players are subject to the rules and regulations of their own boards and the ICC and therefore any misconduct towards the Trio should and will be strictly be punished.
    Then discuss it in a separate thread on central contracts. Unless you have a central contract of your own with PCB or unless any current player has been showcaused by PCB for speaking out against the trio, this is a moot argument.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Then discuss it in a separate thread on central contracts. Unless you have a central contract of your own with PCB or unless any current player has been showcaused by PCB for speaking out against the trio, this is a moot argument.
    It is a very relevant point relevant to the thread/topic at hand which you are conveniently trying to avoid discussing and dismiss as a moot argument. If the players continue to make statements against the Trio in public, show cause notices will be issued.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a very relevant point relevant to the thread/topic at hand which you are conveniently trying to avoid discussing and dismiss as a moot argument. If the players continue to make statements against the Trio in public, show cause notices will be issued.
    Your argument sounds like that of someone who hasn't read the OP of a Ferrari's top-speed discussion thread and who brings up the speed limit of their neighborhood's school road.

Read the OP. Boycott isn't talking about "holding something against the trio" because of 'central contracts'.

Pretty much the hallmark of a busted logic. Bring up irrelevant stuff. Like these:

"Nobody should hold something against the trio because their grandma will be angry."
    "Nobody should hold something against the trio because the trio doesn't speak fluent English."
    "Nobody should hold something against the trio because Trump still has to take Iowa."
    "Nobody should hold something against the trio because NSA will hack into their account."
    "Nobody should hold something against the trio because I have nothing better to argue with."

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Former England great Geoffrey Boycott has hinted that India's financial muscle in world cricket allows them the liberty to dictate the international calendar. The Board of Control for cricket India, one of the richest sport bodies in the world, is currently in discussion with the Pakistan Cricket Board for a short series in December.

A series between India and Pakistan depends on many factors. The political relationship between the arch-rivals has a direct impact on sport and cricket tours are subject to clearance from the governments.

According to the International Cricket Council calendar, India were committed to play a full bilateral series with Pakistan in December, but BCCI will probably agree to a shorter limited overs series in a 'neutral' land of their choice - reportedly Sri Lanka. Pakistan usually play their 'home' matches in the UAE.

Boycott, who was involved with coaching in Pakistan in 2001, said India can easily ignore PCB because the BCCI's coffers were strong enough to forego a series with their western neighbours.

"Because of the strength of the Indian economy, the population and interest levels for the game, the BCCI makes a lot of money. Everyone wants to play India because they themselves will make a lot of money through advertising. However the BCCI doesn't need Pakistan," Boycott told PakPassion.net.

"From a cricketing point of view it would be wonderful to see Pakistan and India playing each other as the series is like England and Australia. It's unfortunate that series between Pakistan and India are so few and far between," Boycott added.

India have repeatedly blamed Pakistan for promoting cross-border terrorism. The BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur, a BJP MP, had categorically turned down a series with Pakistan but India's mood changed after Shashank Manohar became Board chief in October.

Manohar is keen to honour India's commitment to the ICC and spoke to PCB chairman Shahryar Khan in Dubai this weekend to revive the series. Both Boards have approached their respective governments.

"But I don't see India changing their mind very easily as they believe they are alright and don't need series against Pakistan. But it's not good for cricket that India and Pakistan are not playing against each other," Boycott said.
    Source : http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/news/...offrey-boycott
    Last edited by #GreenRoars; 24th November 2015 at 14:52.

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I really enjoy your posts but I think that this argument is really poor.

Mohammad Hafeez, to give you an example, is on a Central Contract. It contains clauses which prevent him - like pretty much every international player - from saying anything interesting at all, but especially anything that could embarrass his employer (the PCB) or the ICC or cause discord within the PCB's teams.

You know as well as I do that the PCB lobbied the ICC to allow an early domestic return for Amir before his 5 year ban was up, and that they explicitly stated that the purpose was to ensure his readiness for international selection after the ban was over.

In other words, Hafeez has publically disparaged an intended Pakistan international team-mate.

He has no right of free speech to do so. None. You know as well as I do that Hafeez is not entitled to publically burnish his moral scruples - he is required to adhere to the terms of his central contract, which require him to be boring and uncontroversial.

But worse, we all know that really what Hafeez was trying to do was blackmail the ICC into not recalling the previously-banned players, because he knows that his own batting credentials outside Asia - where you have three major Test series next year - are lousy.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Amir should play for Pakistan cricket team again if he can prove his merit, feels former England Test opener Geoffrey Boycott. Mohammad Amir is making a return to competitive cricket after serving a ban for match-fixing. He is currently playing for Chittagong Vikings in the Bangladesh Premier League.

The 23-year-old left-arm seamer has consistently picked wickets in domestic cricket and has been serving the Vikings well in the Bangladesh Premier League. On Sunday, he took four wickets for 30 runs but Chittagong lost to Rangpur Riders by two wickets in a tight Twenty20 match.

Boycott feels Mohammad Amir deserves a "second chance" and Pakistan should not hold his tainted past against the young bowler. Amir has played 14 Tests, 15 ODIs and 18 Twenty20 internationals with a total haul of 99 wickets.

Amir last played a Test match in England in August 2010. He was charged for fixing matches along with teammates Salman Butt and Mohammed Asif. All three were banned for five years and only returned to cricket this September.

"I've always believed in the rule of law. Match-fixing, spot-fixing hurts the game of cricket. Their bans could have been longer but there again I would have a strong conversation with the judge who sent them to jail. But once they have served their sentence under the rule of law then society says you should be given a second chance," Boycott told PakPassion.net.

"If you are going to give people a second chance then it has to be all-in. Give them a proper chance, get fit, play well and if they are still good enough then give them a chance in the Pakistan team.

"Nobody should hold anything against Mohammad Amir. In fact this applies to any of them, or favour any of the three in any way. Amir and the other two should only get back into the Pakistan team on merit and ability," said Boycott, who has been involved with coaching in Pakistan in 2001.

Source : http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/news/...offrey-boycott

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I really enjoy your posts but I think that this argument is really poor.

Mohammad Hafeez, to give you an example, is on a Central Contract. It contains clauses which prevent him - like pretty much every international player - from saying anything interesting at all, but especially anything that could embarrass his employer (the PCB) or the ICC or cause discord within the PCB's teams.

You know as well as I do that the PCB lobbied the ICC to allow an early domestic return for Amir before his 5 year ban was up, and that they explicitly stated that the purpose was to ensure his readiness for international selection after the ban was over.

In other words, Hafeez has publically disparaged an intended Pakistan international team-mate.

He has no right of free speech to do so. None. You know as well as I do that Hafeez is not entitled to publically burnish his moral scruples - he is required to adhere to the terms of his central contract, which require him to be boring and uncontroversial.

But worse, we all know that really what Hafeez was trying to do was blackmail the ICC into not recalling the previously-banned players, because he knows that his own batting credentials outside Asia - where you have three major Test series next year - are lousy.
    You are turning this thread into a swipe at Hafeez. Read the OP for the topic at hand.

The reason why this argument doesn't belong here is that Boycott's interview is not about the player abiding by central contarct rules - rather about their holding something against the trio (= not forgiving them). A discussion about the central contracts is irrelevant as, say, your strawman Hafeez can still walk out of a team, "cause disaccord", or throw a nuke at the National Stadium without speaking to the media. Get it?

Nevertheless, as the topic at hand is lost on a number of posters here, let me indulge you guys.

Most of what you state in your post about central contracts is simply speculation. A central contract seems to be a contract between a player and his board and portions of it varies from player to player. Misbah has a different contract than what Hafeez does than what Afridi does - and so on. Based on what has transpired in the past, it seems like a PCB central contract prohibits a player from speaking with the media without prior approval - in different flavors and at different levels.

Once allowed to speak with the media, the player can say what he or she wants as long as it does not bring the game or the board or the country into disrepute. That's what logic would tell you.

So, if Hafeez has gone ahead and made a comment and PCB has not given him a so-called "showcause", it means they have no problem whatsoever with his speaking with the media (= he has approval) AND his comment was not out of line (= it did not bring the game or the board or the country into disrepute). It matters diddly squat what you or I think of his comment, an inaction by the PCB implies they have no problem whatsoever. Nada.

Now, back to the real issue with this poor line of argument. Crying about "a player violating his central contract" or someone breaking Amir's heart or whatever else simply proves that you don't have a real argument against a player still having not forgiven Amir. Reeks of communism. Absence of free speech. The only way to block the truth is to censor it.

Boycott is mature enough to not bring this line of thinking into discussion. Seems like he overestimated his audience.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    @Ironcat

I think I know why the PCB has not issued a show cause notice to Mohammad Hafeez.

Shaharyar Khan is a highly educated and wily old fox who understood all along that the ICC would clear all three players to return after five years.

But many of the less intelligent, less educated senior PCB executives blindly thought that the suspended parts of Asif and Butt's bans would be activated - they either had not read or did not understand the original ICC Tribunal's verdict.

Suddenly at the start of September the likes of Shaharyar Khan found themselves having to manage their ignorant anti-Asif and anti-Butt colleagues, and they concocted a "rehabilitation" program which was aimed at delaying their return until after Amir had been selected for the national team.

And so the PCB are walking this tightrope, trying to honour their obligations to the ICC while appearing obstructive enough to placate the anti-Asif, anti-Butt PCB lobbies.

And so they consider issuing a Show Cause notice to Hafeez to be a risk of creating more trouble.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, maybe all of this is pure theory and speculation, and the PCB have no issue with his statement?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Or, maybe all of this is pure theory and speculation, and the PCB have no issue with his statement?
    Interesting point......as no showcause and he must have had approval from PCB for the interview.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Interesting point......as no showcause and he must have had approval from PCB for the interview.
    He has been served a show cause notice

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He has been served a show cause notice
    Yes, my post above was 7 days ago.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Looks like an academic showcause at the moment. Hafeez continues to play in all formats. Amir back to QEA.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Looks like an academic showcause at the moment. Hafeez continues to play in all formats. Amir back to QEA.
    Well PCB said showcause issued, but Hafeez says no showcause. The plot thickens.

Wise words as ever from Boycott.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recon we will see him touring England again in 2016. Just depends on whether people can forget about his past or not.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he makes the English tour, no way will English media let it lie.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting to see if the English media agree with Geoffrey about Amir, not long to go now!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When lankan series is over be interesting to see what articles and what the English cricket pundits have to say about Amir. Think all will have a difference of opinion. Mark butcher wasn't happy that the 3 were allowed back. I'm certain bob willis and Ian bottem have said they should have got life bans

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/44786337

Former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott is recovering at home after quadruple heart bypass surgery, his family have said.

The 77-year-old, now a commentator for the BBC's Test Match Special, spent 10 days in hospital in Leeds after having the operation on 27 June.

The ex-Yorkshire player, who scored 8,114 runs in 108 Tests, hopes to be back in the commentary box next month.

"The surgeon says the operation was a success," said his daughter Emma.

Boycott, who captained England in four Tests and led Yorkshire for seven years, will not commentate on England's first two Tests against India but could return for the third match of the series, starting on 18 August at Trent Bridge.

After posting the statement on social media, Boycott sent out a number of messages he said he was dictating to his daughter.

He said his BBC colleague Jonathan Agnew had visited him on Tuesday, and "still took the mickey".

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not? Is it because Amir is the chosen one?

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/44786337

Former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott is recovering at home after quadruple heart bypass surgery, his family have said.

The 77-year-old, now a commentator for the BBC's Test Match Special, spent 10 days in hospital in Leeds after having the operation on 27 June.

The ex-Yorkshire player, who scored 8,114 runs in 108 Tests, hopes to be back in the commentary box next month.

"The surgeon says the operation was a success," said his daughter Emma.

Boycott, who captained England in four Tests and led Yorkshire for seven years, will not commentate on England's first two Tests against India but could return for the third match of the series, starting on 18 August at Trent Bridge.

After posting the statement on social media, Boycott sent out a number of messages he said he was dictating to his daughter.

He said his BBC colleague Jonathan Agnew had visited him on Tuesday, and "still took the mickey".
    Wish Boycott a speedy recovery, Test Match Special and Channel 5 recap are never the same without his insight / input and he can be like marmite at times but I have always loved how blunt he is.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Wishing him a speedy recovery.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn't arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Our best wishes for a speedy recovery for GB!

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    National Stadium Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully all is ok and he gets well soon.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Happy 78th Birthday !

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former England captains Geoffrey Boycott and Andrew Strauss have been given knighthoods in ex-Prime Minister Theresa May's resignation honours list.

Boycott, 78, scored 8,114 runs in 108 Tests for England from 1964 to 1982 and was captain on four occasions in 1978 in place of the injured Mike Brearley.

Strauss led England to two Ashes wins, as well as the number one Test ranking, in his 50 Tests as captain.

The 42-year-old scored 7,037 runs at an average of 40.91 in 100 England Tests.

Over the course of his first-class career, Boycott averaged 56.83 with the bat with and scored 151 centuries and over 48,000 runs.

After his retirement, Boycott has gone on to become a successful broadcaster and is part of the BBC's cricket commentary team.

The Yorkshireman was forced to apologise in 2017 after reportedly saying it would be more likely he would be knighted if he was to 'black his face'.

Strauss joined the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) as England's director of cricket after his retirement from all forms of cricket in 2012.

He left the role last year to support his wife Ruth who was being treated for terminal cancer, and went on to launch a foundation in her name.

Former England coach Andy Flower, who was in charge during Strauss' time as captain, paid tribute to his former skipper.

"I cannot think of a man more worthy of the honour," Flower said.

"As a player he was tough and resilient, as a captain he balanced a firm hand and moral compass with a compassion and empathy that meant he was loved and respected in the dressing room by his players and the staff."

ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said: "Our heartfelt congratulations go to Sir Geoffrey Boycott - honoured for his long career and passionate dedication to the sport.

"In May 2015, Andrew was invited to join the ECB as director, England cricket, to shape the future strategy of the men's international teams - in part to enable an environment that would see England as live contenders for the World Cup in 2019, an aim they so thrillingly delivered on just a few short months ago.

"It was with the same class and courage that he and his family set up the Ruth Strauss Foundation to raise money and awareness just a few months after losing Ruth to a rare form of cancer.

"Aside from his achievements on and off the pitch, Andrew is widely regarded as an exceptional person in our game and this wonderful accolade will be celebrated around the cricketing world."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49641823

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    508 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Don't think Boycott will have flattering words to say about Amir now

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Geoffrey Boycott said he does not "give a toss" about Women's Aid's criticism of his knighthood.

Theresa May’s resignation honours list has drawn a heated reaction from some quarters, with critics rounding on her choice to reward civil servants who worked on her failed Brexit strategies, and others targeting the knighthood of former cricketer Boycott.

Domestic abuse charities have attacked the former prime minister over her decision to give the former England cricket star a knighthood, after he was convicted in France in 1998 of beating his then girlfriend Margaret Moore in a French Riviera hotel.

Boycott was fined 5,000 and given a three-month suspended jail sentence, but has always denied the charge.

The co-acting chief executive of Women's Aid said his award was "very disappointing".

But in response to Adina Claire, Boycott said: "I don't give a toss about her, love.

"So you can take your political nature and do whatever you want with it.

"I couldn't give a toss."

Ms Claire had said that "celebrating a man who was convicted for assaulting his partner sends a dangerous message - that domestic abuse is not taken seriously as a crime.

"With increasing awareness of domestic abuse, and a Domestic Abuse Bill ready to be taken forward by Government, it is extremely disappointing that a knighthood has been recommended for Geoffrey Boycott, who is a convicted perpetrator of domestic abuse."

The former PM introduced the landmark Domestic Abuse Bill earlier this year, but it failed to make it through Parliament before prorogation so will have be reintroduced when MPs return from their extended break.

Mrs May gave Boycott a knighthood for services to sport.

Ms Clair’s reservations were also not shared by the Tory-friendly Daily Telegraph.

“Mrs May showed many of the Yorkshire batsman’s legendary qualities of resilience during her time in office,” the paper said in an editorial.

“This is one of her better decisions.”

Mrs May also gave honours to her aides and donors to the Tory party, drawing scorn from critics.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-09-10/...source=dlvr.it

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Yorkshire County Cricket Club would like to extend its sincere congratulations to ‘Sir’ Geoffrey Boycott.

Boycott, 78, was awarded a knighthood in ex-Prime Minister Theresa May’s resignation honours list. Every departing prime minister can draw up a resignation honours list, which the Cabinet Office has to approve.

He scored 8,114 runs in 108 Tests for England from 1964 to 1982 and was captain on four occasions in 1978 in place of the injured Mike Brearley. Over the course of a First-Class career that spanned 25 years, Boycott averaged 56.83 with the bat, scoring 151 centuries and over 48,000 runs. He became the first ever Englishman to twice average over 100 in a season and when he left the International scene in 1982, he had scored more Test runs than anyone else.

Boycott, who memorably scored his 100th first-class hundred before his ‘Yorkshire public’ in 1977 said: “I’m absolutely delighted, honoured and thrilled to bits and I’d like to say thank you to Theresa May and all the people who have helped and supported me throughout my career.”

Yorkshire president, Geoff Cope, said: “Sir Geoffrey has had an absolutely wonderful career for Yorkshire and England. Nobody will forget his 100th hundred at Headingley. That day, Yorkshire felt for him and his outstanding achievement.

“His achievement in the game of cricket is outstanding and he thoroughly deserves the honour that has been bestowed upon him.

“I don’t think you ever set out to get a knighthood, you set off in the first instance to do a good job, you’re paid to do something you love and clearly Geoffrey was one who performed.

“Everyone at the Club, including myself, are delighted that Geoffrey has been rewarded for his efforts throughout his cricketing career. I’ve said all along he’s the best manmade player that I’ve ever seen. He’s one of the best natural talents around. Geoffrey made himself into the player that he was. He practiced hours after everybody else had finished, he went to schools and local clubs to get people to bowl at him, and he just batted on and on. He gave an awful lot to improve to the level of talent he ended up with.”

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/8...ycott-knighted

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Oh how England could do with Sir Geoffrey, our new appointed Knight of the Realm, right now.

An opening batsman built for the rigours of Test Match cricket, a present day Boycott would be a shoo-in for the ongoing Ashes series.

Boycott scored 8,114 runs in 108 Tests for England between 1964 and 1982, including 22 hundreds, and is one of only six Englishmen to reach the 8,000 mark in Tests.

His Test best score of 246 not out came against India at Headingley in June 1967.

A Yorkshireman born and bred, the now 78-year-old’s career was intrinsically linked with the famous old Leeds venue.

At domestic level, he scored 32,570 first-class runs for Yorkshire between 1962 and 1986, scoring 103 of his 151 hundreds at that level for the county.

He is the county’s third leading run-scorer behind David Denton (33,282) and Herbert Sutcliffe (38,558), and twice averaged over 100 in a season.

More importantly, he played a huge role in five County Championship title wins through the 1960s. He then captained the side through the seventies and briefly in the eighties.

Arguably, his most famous moment was scoring his 100th first-class hundred against the Aussies in a Headingley Test victory which helped England retain the Ashes in 1977, scoring 191 (August 11) in front of an adoring home crowd.

He has long since been nicknamed Sir Geoffrey, so many will view this knighthood – for services to sport – in Prime Minister Theresa May’s resignation honours list as ‘about time’.

Despite his ‘over my dead body’ style of batting, Boycott also returned an impressive one-day record both at international and domestic level.

He played 313 matches in all, including 36 ODIs for England, and averaged nearly 40 in a haul of 10,095 runs.

Sir Geoffrey also played in the very first ODI, against Australia at the MCG in early 1971, scoring eight at the top of the order in an England defeat.

His career wasn’t all smooth sailing, with his forthright nature getting him into a scrape or two.

But since hanging up his boots, he has forged a successful career in the media and is currently one of BBC Test Match Special’s flagship voices for their international coverage both at home and abroad, including the ongoing Ashes series.

In fact, an opening partnership of Boycott and Andrew Strauss, who has also been knighted, would surely give England fans endless amounts of confidence.

Sir Geoffrey. It’s no longer a nickname. Congratulations.

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/8...t-of-the-realm

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Geoffrey Boycott has said he "couldn't give a toss" about criticism over Theresa May awarding him a knighthood in her resignation honours list.

Domestic abuse charities and Labour said the honour should be removed from the ex-cricketer, who was convicted of beating his girlfriend in 1998.

Boycott, who has always denied the assault, later questioned why the issue had been raised by the media.

Mrs May's list of 57 names was made up of mostly political figures.

Every departing prime minister can draw up a resignation honours list.

Mrs May announced her resignation in June after failing to get support for the withdrawal agreement she had negotiated for the UK to leave the EU.

The former prime minister showed her love of cricket with knighthoods for Boycott and fellow former England captain Andrew Strauss.

Boycott was fined 5,000 and given a three-month suspended sentence in 1998 after being convicted of beating his then-girlfriend Margaret Moore in a French Riviera hotel.

During the trial, the court heard Boycott pinned Miss Moore down and punched her 20 times in the face before checking out and leaving her to pay the bill.

Boycott denied the allegations, saying Miss Moore had slipped after flying into a rage when he refused to marry her.

Mrs May, who introduced a landmark Domestic Abuse Bill to Parliament earlier this year, was accused of sending a "dangerous message" by Women's Aid's co-acting chief executive Adina Claire.

She said the honour "should be taken away" from Boycott, adding that it sent "completely the wrong message" to survivors of domestic abuse.

Asked about the criticism from Women's Aid by presenter Martha Kearney on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Boycott responded: "I don't give a toss about her, love. It was 25 years ago so you can take your political nature and do whatever you want with it."

The 78-year-old, who is part of the BBC's cricket commentary team for the current Ashes series, added: "It's very difficult to prove your innocence in another country, in another language.

"I have to live with it - and I do. I'm clear in my mind, and I think most people in England are, that it's not true."

In a subsequent interview, Boycott said that the day had been "soured" by Radio 4 "setting me up", saying the station's agenda had been to talk about domestic violence and "make publicity".

He told BBC's Look North Yorkshire: "Is that what interviewing is about - is it always to ask difficult questions? Shouldn't it be just a nice day for me?

"I said I don't give a toss about her [Ms Claire from Woman's Aid], not domestic violence. That's not something anyone should feel good about."

A spokesperson for the Today programme said the question was "entirely appropriate... given the concerns raised about Geoffrey Boycott's knighthood by Women's Aid and others".

The shadow minister for women and equalities, Dawn Butler, joined the call for Boycott's knighthood to be rescinded.

"Honouring a perpetrator of domestic violence just because he is the former prime minister's favourite sportsman shows how out of touch and nepotistic the honours list is," she said, adding that the whole system needed "radically overhauling".

And former Spice Girl Melanie Brown tweeted that Boycott was "a disgrace to Yorkshire", saying the "perpetrators of domestic abuse shouldn't be held up as heroes EVER".

The Woman's Trust charity said it was "disappointed" to see Boycott included in the honour's list because it either suggested that, despite his conviction, he was believed over the survivor, or his fame meant it did not matter.

Boycott also had to apologise in 2017 after joking that he would have to "black up" to be given a knighthood, reportedly saying they were handed out to West Indian cricketers "like confetti".

Mrs May once compared her determination to delivering Brexit with the fighting spirit in Boycott's batting marathons.

Telling journalists he was one of her sporting heroes, she said in November 2018: "Geoffrey Boycott stuck to it and he got the runs in the end."

Since his retirement from cricket, Boycott has gone on to become a successful broadcaster and is part of the BBC's cricket commentary team.

A BBC spokesperson said: "He is a world renowned cricketer and employed for his knowledge and expertise of the sport."

The government checks all nominees are suitable for an honour, including whether they have paid their taxes.

However, Mrs May's resignation honours list would not have gone through the same review process as nominations for the New Year and Queen's Birthday honours.

In those cases, a specific committee, for example one including figures from the world of sport, would consider the nominations before they go before the main honours committee. In contrast, people nominated for resignation honours only undergo propriety and probity checks by the Cabinet Office.

The 37 men and 20 women on Mrs May's list include members of Downing Street staff, political aides and lifelong supporters of the Conservative Party.

It includes recipients from all four nations of the UK as well as non-political figures and members of civic society.

Labour said the honours rewarded "big Tory donors and No 10 cronies".

Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill, Mrs May's former chiefs of staff who left their jobs after the 2017 general election in which the Conservatives lost their majority in the Commons, become Commanders of the Order of the British Empire, or CBEs.

The former prime minister's chief EU negotiator Olly Robbins receives a knighthood.

The senior civil servant helped to create Mrs May's Brexit deal before it was defeated in Parliament three times. It has been announced that Mr Robbins is to join investment bank Goldman Sachs.

There is also a knighthood for her former director of communications, Robbie Gibb.

When her predecessor David Cameron awarded a knighthood to his own head of communications, Craig Oliver, Mrs May later joked that she "retched violently" at seeing his name on the list.

Gavin Barwell, the former Tory MP who Mrs May brought in as her chief of staff to replace Mr Timothy and Ms Hill, is one of eight new Conservative peers.

Sir Kim Darroch - who was forced to resign as ambassador to the US after comments he made about President Trump were leaked - has been made a crossbench peer.

Boris Johnson, who was then running in the Tory leadership contest prior to becoming prime minister, was criticised at the time for not showing enough support for Sir Kim.

Meanwhile, there is a damehood for Cressida Dick, whose police career started at the age of 23 after a brief spell working in a fish-and-chip shop. She is one of just a few non-political figures on Mrs May's list.

Sir Simon Woolley, the founder of operation Black Vote, and Ruth Hunt, the ex-chief executive of Stonewall, have been made crossbench life peers.

British Empire Medals, or BEMs, have been awarded to Graham Howarth and Debra Wheatley - Mrs May's head chef at Chequers and housekeeper at Downing Street respectively.

The list of peerages - which sees those appointed sit in the House of Lords - include several nominated by other parties to sit on their benches.

'Policy of restraint'
    Among them are former NUT general secretary Christine Blower, for Labour, and former Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, who will become the party's second peer in the House of Lords.

The Lord Speaker, Lord Fowler, said Mrs May's list was "substantially smaller" than those drawn up by predecessors, helping to reduce the size of the House of Lords.

Several MPs have received honours:

Sir Patrick McLoughlin, Conservative MP for Derbyshire Dales (Companion of Honour)
    George Hollingbery, Conservative MP for Meon Valley (Knighthood)
    David Lidington, Conservative MP for Aylesbury (Knighthood)
    Charles Walker, Conservative MP for Broxbourne (Knighthood)
    Brandon Lewis, Conservative MP for Great Yarmouth (CBE)
    Julian Smith, Conservative MP for Skipton and Ripon (CBE)
    Seema Kennedy, Conservative MP for South Ribble (OBE)
    John Mann, the Labour MP for Bassetlaw and an independent government adviser on anti-Semitism, received a non-affiliated peerage.

Mr Mann is standing down as MP, citing Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn's handling of the party's anti-Semitism crisis.

Margaret Ritchie, who was leader of the SDLP in Northern Ireland between 2010 and 2011, also received a non-affiliated peerage. She said she would remain "SDLP to the core" even though she has had to quit the party to become a peer.

The former South Down MP made history in 2010 when she became the first leader of a nationalist party to wear a remembrance poppy.

A source close to Mrs May said the list "recognises the many different people who have made a significant contribution to public life" during her political career.

Criticising Mrs May's choices, Labour Party chairman Ian Lavery said: "It comes as no surprise that big Tory donors and Number 10 cronies are being honoured yet again.

"The Tories only care about looking after their own and will only stand up for the wealthy few who fund them."

The SNP's Pete Wishart accused Mrs May of "handing out peerages like sweeties", adding that it was the "worst kind of cronyism".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49639222
    Last edited by MenInG; 11th September 2019 at 00:46.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90MPH View Post

In 2015, 90MPH mirrored the words of Sir Geoffrey in 2019. I'm therefore convinced that 90MPH is Sir Geoffrey in disguise