Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

"I want a second chance. I want to serve my country again" : Saleem Malik

Armed with a silken touch and having the ability to bludgeon the ball in equal measure, Saleem Malik was a mainstay of the Pakistan batting order in a career which began in 1982 and lasted seventeen years. During these years, Malik's daring match winning and saving innings gave him an almost cult like following amongst Pakistan cricket followers. He played 103 Test matches, scoring 5768 runs and also 283 ODIs where his run tally was an impressive 7170.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, the fifty-two year old Saleem Malik looked back at the highlights of his career, the Justice Qayyum report, spoke about the hurdles he has faced in his attempts to serve the nation and the game of cricket once again, his recollections of playing under Imran Khan and explained how he can use his experience to remedy some of the technical issues with today's Pakistan batsmen.

PakPassion.net : You played many great innings for Pakistan. Which ones are special and memorable to you?

Saleem Malik : Well the ones that stick out for me in One-day cricket are the world-famous and much loved innings in Kolkata when I made 72 from 62 balls against the West Indies in the Nehru Cup final (November, 1989) and we went on to win the match off the second last ball. But the One-day innings that really stands out for me is an innings that I played in the Caribbean against their ferocious pace attack in Trinidad. I scored 85 from only 55 balls and that match was played in 1988 when Patrick Patterson, Courtney Walsh, Winston Benjamin and Curtly Ambrose were bowling very quick.

As far as Test cricket is concerned Iím proud to say there were some very special innings. One innings though that really satisfies me was at Headingley in 1987. It wasnít anywhere near my highest Test score but it was a vital innings of 99 on a very difficult wicket at Leeds. But the pleasing thing was that we went onto win the match by an innings and my score of 99 helped in that victory. My highest Test score of 237 against Australia is also a much-cherished innings. The match was in Rawalpindi in 1994 and we were in trouble when we had to follow on. However we battled hard in the second innings and my innings contributed to us saving the match.

PakPassion.net : Do you think you were treated fairly by Justice Qayyum?

Saleem Malik : Well those people that looked after Justice Qayyum survived and those like me that didnít offer him anything were targeted. I was coming towards the end of my international career so I was made the scapegoat. They had to find one or two scapegoats and I was conveniently one of them.

PakPassion.net : I interviewed Tauqir Zia a few years ago and he made it clear that some players escaped harsher punishment from Justice Qayyum because the Pakistan team would have struggled to find adequate replacements. How does it make you feel to hear this?

Saleem Malik : Justice should be equal for all. The law, rules and regulations should be the same irrespective of your background or status. My question to those in authority has always been why was I treated differently to others? Why was I punished so harshly? Why was I shown no remorse or given a second chance? I never even wanted to play cricket again, but I was still blacklisted and isolated. Iíve tried so many times to clear the path for myself to work again in cricket, by coaching children but they wonít even let me do that. I wanted to make a cricket academy, they wouldnít even let me do that.

PakPassion.net : So without cricket what have you been doing, how have you coped?

Saleem Malik : When all my paths were blocked as far as an academy or coaching was concerned, I formed an NGO (Non Governmental Organisation) which was to be for the welfare and help of former cricketers in Pakistan who were struggling financially. This was for cricketers who were struggling to support their family despite having played First-Class cricket and in some cases international cricket. I was putting money from my own pocket and from friends to organise benefit matches for some of these cricketers who needed assistance. These benefit matches were held for two years, but last year after we made all the arrangements and the match was supposed to be televised and was supposed to include some current and veteran players, a block was put on the match and players were told they would be banned if they played and the venue of Gaddafi Stadium Lahore was told not to allow the match to happen. Then I tried to host the charity match at the LCCA ground and wasnít allowed to do so. These are just some of the stumbling blocks I have had to face. I was trying to help cricketers in dire straits in Pakistan by organising charity matches but I wasnít even allowed to do that.

PakPassion.net : So what is your current status as far as your life ban is concerned?

Saleem Malik : Well I wrote several letters to the Pakistan Cricket Board and brought up the issue in the media and eventually I was told that Iím now clear both from the Boardís perspective and legally. But the PCB also said to me two years ago that they wrote to the ICC for further clarification but I have not heard any further in that regard. So I wait as I have done for many years and wait for the ICC to clarify matters with PCB before I can move on and earn a living from cricket.

PakPassion.net : How does it make you feel when you see some named in the Justice Qayyum report working as coaches, commentators and in other parts of the media?

Saleem Malik : Iím not angry or bitter. It just hurts. I played so many matches for Pakistan, I took part in so many great wins and even single-handedly won and saved matches for my country so why canít I be given a second chance as others have been? I love Pakistan, itís my country I would do anything for my country I just ask for another chance to serve my country. Sadly there are some people who donít want to see me given another chance and that hurts. Itís almost as if those few people have it in for me and donít want me to be given another chance. There are many players named in the Qayyum report and elsewhere who have been allowed to work in international cricket but the fact remains after sixteen years of isolation Iíve not been given another opportunity.

PakPassion.net : You played alongside some of the greats of Pakistan cricket like Imran Khan. What are your memories of those great days?

Saleem Malik : Imran Khan was a fantastic role-model. He was senior in age and also the leader of the group. The players respected him and he was the commander-in-chief. Under Imran Khanís leadership there was discipline and the group of players was very united. What I really enjoyed about playing under Imran Khan was his positive attitude in Test matches. He wanted to win and this was a refreshing change from some captains whose mindset was to not lose and if we won, then that was a bonus. In addition, Imran brought neutral umpires into international cricket and that eradicated the suspicions of some teams who werenít happy about home umpires. He was a pioneer for Pakistan cricket, a great thinker and someone who played with such a positive attitude and that reflected on his teams. In my mind he was the man who brought the winning mentality into Pakistan cricket. He also brought into the team an attitude that if you lose, you go down fighting. The players who played alongside Imran Khan carried on the philosophies that he implemented.

PakPassion.net : You performed really well at Essex. Why do you think you were such a success in County cricket?

Saleem Malik : I say this with all due respect to County cricketers of that era but the fact is that I had been playing for Pakistan against the best bowlers in the world and some of the all-time greats. Each County had a few good players and some world-class players but not quite in the league of international cricket. Yes conditions at times were tough in England for batting but my game plan was always to see off the best bowlers and target the others. I feel that more Pakistani players especially batsmen need exposure to County cricket, especially the four-day version.

PakPassion.net : What are your thoughts on Pakistanís upcoming batsmen like Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood, Ahmed Shehzad and others?

Saleem Malik : One of the biggest problems is that we are not allowing our young batsmen to settle into international cricket and establish themselves. At times I feel that the current senior players should be doing more to help the young batsmen rather than protecting their own positions in the team. Imran Khan in his day encouraged young fast bowlers to become great cricketers, he didnít worry about his own place in the team and that one day the young bowlers may replace him in the team.

PakPassion.net : Whatís wrong with the current Pakistan limited-overs teams?

Saleem Malik : I donít think the selectors are doing a very good job in picking the right players. Also it seems that our limited-overs captains are either too soft in allowing themselves to be overruled or on the other hand selecting players based on favoritism. The solution is simple; Improve selection and ensure players are picked on merit not through friendships with the captain.

PakPassion.net : What are your thoughts on the overall standard of batsmen around the world these days?

Saleem Malik : Iím a big fan of Virat Kohli; heís a great player. He and AB de Villiers are the sort of players who have proved themselves in all conditions and in all formats. One thing that really annoys me though about modern-day cricket is the size of the boundaries. How can an international match be played where the boundary is just over 60 metres. These days edges fly for six, but in our day you didnít get too many edges flying for six as the boundaries were much bigger. In my day if you edged it, more often than not you were out rather than the ball flying for six. Sometimes I see players doing well in domestic Twenty20 leagues with the ball flying around everywhere, but when they are thrown into international cricket those same players struggle.

PakPassion.net : Do you think Mohammad Amir, Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif can re-launch their playing careers?

Saleem Malik : Islam teaches us that if someone has made a mistake and sinned and been punished, and then asks for forgiveness then we should give that person another chance and forgive them. All three of them have been punished and served their punishment therefore I think they deserve another chance. I think all three can still play for Pakistan and still have a future in international cricket. Mohammad Amir has a lot of cricket ahead of him, he can be world-class again. He has apologised and should be given another opportunity just as Mohammad Asif and Salman Butt should.

PakPassion.net : You asked the PCB for your life ban to be lifted. Can you provide an update on that?

Saleem Malik : The PCB asked me to put my request in writing which I did two years ago. The PCB then announced that I had been cleared by them and also by the courts. However the stumbling block is the ICC who still hasnít responded to the PCBís and my request. So I wait and wait for the ICC to reply and for me to move on with my life and rebuild my life.

PakPassion.net : It seems that you still have a lot of passion for Pakistan cricket and are keen to work as a coach. Is that accurate?

Saleem Malik : I want a second chance. I want to serve my country again. I represented my country for hundreds of matches and I urge the authorities to give me another chance. Iíve met the PCB Chairman on several occasions and spoken with PCB officials. My wish is that I am given the chance once again to serve Pakistan cricket and nothing would please me more than to be given approval to coach young cricketers in Pakistan. I see our cricketers making basic errors in international cricket and having some obvious flaws that should have been spotted and ironed-out before they reach international cricket. Iíd like to work with young cricketers in Pakistan so that these errors and basic flaws are removed from our cricketers before they play international cricket. You shouldnít have to learn basic skills in international cricket, they should be taught at junior level. I see our cricketers not running between the wickets properly and having basic flaws. I want to be given the opportunity to share my wealth of cricket experience and to work with young cricketers in Pakistan and I urge the authorities to help me with this request.

Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3025 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Great fan of Saleem! I was there when he played that terrific innings against India in Toronto (Sahara Cup) - if only....

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a fan of Malik as well growing up. He would bring impetus to an otherwise sleepy innings and give the team purpose. I remember an 18-four hundred of his.

Having said that, he really really hurt Pakistan. Repeatedly sold matches.

These are really murky questions to answer - how can Aamir play again and not Malik. The only thing you can say is that Aamir/Asif/Butt have not been proven to have deliberately lost matches - which is the case with Malik.

But really it's splitting hairs. When you sell your country, you sell your country. The selling rate should not decide the size of punishment.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great interview. I liked reading the part where he mentions about how he tried to help the veteran cricketers etc. but he couldn't - a bit fascinating and also a bit unfortunate.

He deserved more limelight in the media after his ban; was nowhere to be seen.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Needs to be allowed to coach in some capacity.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Whatever he has done...He has been punished and seems remorseful. The guy is trying to help veteran cricketers and it is sad that he is not being allowed to do so. The guy needs to earn a living allow him to do it. Most of the cricketers only know cricket, that's the only way they can make any living. Allow him to do that and help him do some good as he has been trying to do.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    I was a fan of Malik as well growing up. He would bring impetus to an otherwise sleepy innings and give the team purpose. I remember an 18-four hundred of his.

These are really murky questions to answer - how can Aamir play again and not Malik. The only thing you can say is that Aamir/Asif/Butt have not been proven to have deliberately lost matches - which is the case with Malik.

But really it's splitting hairs. When you sell your country, you sell your country. The selling rate should not decide the size of punishment.
    When Intikhab Alam was asked to name fair and honest cricketers by inquiry commission who according to him weren't involved in betting and match fixing he could only take 3 names Aaqib, Rashid and Amir Sohail.

It means according to Intikhab all other cricketers you name it were selling the country left and right.

This is why we underachieved so much in the 90's despite almost having 7 to 8 superstars in playing eleven each time.

It is very very unfortunate part of our history.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It's a good interview and poses difficult questions. I wonder if Malik has ever openly apologized in any interview for his actions. It would be disappointing to know that his only comment on the qayyum commission is that he was harshly treated.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It has been long enough and he can definitely serve Pakistan better than the likes of Inti and Ilyas.

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Great questions Saj, you are very bold.

Saleem Malik should be respected as he had served his punishment, anyone who opposes him should apologize and stop this patriotic nonsense.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let him earn a living from cricket..... good to have him as a part of coaching staff for young cricketers in some capacity either from PCB or LCCA, KCA like that...

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    When I rang Saleem up to do the interview I didn't know what to expect and how he would be. But to be fair to him he was very pleasant and not bitter, just disappointed that he had not been given another chance despite his name being cleared in some quarters.

What a classy batsman he was. Makes some of today's Pakistani 'superstars' look like amateurs.

Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1349 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I loved Saleem Malik the batsmen and will go down as one of our finest ever players which makes his role in match fixing all the more tragic. Few takeaways from this enlightening interview is there's not a hint of an apology from Malik who keeps painting himself as a victim and infact its that lack of contrition which hardens my stance that this man should never be involved in Pakistan cricket again. Let's remember why he's been ostracised from Pakistan cricket for 16 years - he fixed matches and deliberately underperformed to harm his team's chances of winning for the sake of his own greed.

I played so many matches for Pakistan, I took part in so many great wins and even single-handedly won and saved matches for my country so wy can’t I be given a second chance as others have been? I love Pakistan, it’s my country I would do anything for my country I just ask for another chance to serve my country. Sadly there are some people who don’t want to see me given another chance and that hurts. It’s almost as if those few people have it in for me and don’t want me to be given another chance.
    And you took part in many defeats where you deliberately threw the match including times when you were captaining your country. Where was your "love for Pakistan" then ? So give over with your claims that "people have it in for you" - this is exactly NOT the sort of character I'd want around our youngsters, people who never take responsibility for their own actions.

What is it with so many Pakistanis who commit wrongdoing yet act as if THEY'RE the ones who've been wronged and are the real victims ? Its the same thing we saw with Salman Butt. If Malik is sincere then he should make a full, unreserved public apology for his role in match fixing. The probability of Malik ever returning in some capacity is low however given the spot-fixing scandal and how the PCB want to clean up their image, its not like they're going to be rushing to re-associate themselves with a proven match-fixer. Though I do sympathise when he says he couldn't even organise charity matches for ex-players which really is draconian.

Was the Qayyum Report a terrible piece of work ? Yes, the punishments were far too lenient for the more high-profile players such as Wasim Akram who Qayyum admitted he had a soft corner for and the double standards allowed people like Malik to portray himself as a victim of scapegoating. However that doesn't make Malik's own involvement in fixing any more excusable and that will always sour his legendary playing career.
    Last edited by Markhor; 30th December 2015 at 00:34.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sympathy should be allowed in this case. Saleem has served his country well barring the issues with him losing matches on purposes. If he can provide the ability to tweak our batsmen then that is definitely a plus.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with his thoughts about the modern day game. 60m boundaries are a joke. Setting the boundaries distances of old will separate the men from the boys.

Omar's comin' yo!

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unfortunately i cant voice a positive opinion on malik, as i dont have one, but ill desist from anything negative.

i am interested to know though, whether the people supporting amir so vociferously and ready to welcome malik back with open arms too. i would imagine most of those on pp who are the former have never heard of the latter, but i wonder what the answer would be amongst the pakistani tv pundits that have been so vocal..

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Casablanca
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should be given a second chance... As a coach he may be the most useful.. I had read his interview somewhere 2 years ago where he had correctly diagnosed the problems in our ODI team and I was astonished that this guy understood the modern game tactics like no one else among our ex cricketers..

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post

My blood boiled as I read the interview. He was a beautiful batsman, but whereas Amir bowled two criminal no balls, Salim Malik fixed matches.

I commend anybody to google "Mandela Cup 1995", when Malik made outrageous decisions from the toss all the way to triggering go slows and collapses when his team mates were winning games that he had already been paid to lose. And he was the captain!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    unfortunately i cant voice a positive opinion on malik, as i dont have one, but ill desist from anything negative.

i am interested to know though, whether the people supporting amir so vociferously and ready to welcome malik back with open arms too. i would imagine most of those on pp who are the former have never heard of the latter, but i wonder what the answer would be amongst the pakistani tv pundits that have been so vocal..
    I vociferously support the return of all three spot fixers, not having been pardoned but having served their just and rightful punishments.

But I would give up on Pakistan cricket ever if that scoundrel Salim Malik was allowed back. Youngsters forget that the News of the World caught him a decade before they caught Amir, Asif and Butt. But Malik was selling results, not no balls.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think he should be allowed back in cricket in some capacity once he has served his ban.

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he can work with our upcoming future batsmen, that would be great.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I vociferously support the return of all three spot fixers, not having been pardoned but having served their just and rightful punishments.

But I would give up on Pakistan cricket ever if that scoundrel Salim Malik was allowed back. Youngsters forget that the News of the World caught him a decade before they caught Amir, Asif and Butt. But Malik was selling results, not no balls.
    When you are willing to accept one set of characters who have served their time it's hypocritical to say you will not stand for another person who has also served his.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryin Out Loud View Post
    When you are willing to accept one set of characters who have served their time it's hypocritical to say you will not stand for another person who has also served his.
    The ICC has cleared Amir, Asif and Butt as free to play.

This interview states that they haven't cleared Salim Malik.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In an interview to Saj Sadiq of PakPassion.net, former Pakistan batsman Saleem Malik speaks about his frustration at not being able to involve himself in cricket during '16 years of isolation', his work as an NGO, his request to authorities to give him 'another chance' and his urge to serve the country

Q: You played many great innings for Pakistan. Which ones are special and memorable to you?

A: Well the ones that stick out for me in one-day cricket are the world-famous and much loved innings in Kolkata when I made 72 from 62 balls against the West Indies in the Nehru Cup final (November, 1989) and we went on to win the match off the penultimate ball. But the one-day innings that really stands out for me is an innings that I played in the Caribbean against their ferocious pace attack in Trinidad. I scored 85 from only 55 balls and that match was played in 1988 when Patrick Patterson, Courtney Walsh, Winston Benjamin and Curtly Ambrose were bowling very quick.

As far as Test cricket is concerned I’m proud to say there were some very special innings. One innings though that really satisfies me was at Headingley in 1987. It wasn’t anywhere near my highest Test score but it was a vital innings of 99 on a very difficult wicket at Leeds. But the pleasing thing was that we went onto win the match by an innings and my score of 99 helped in that victory. My highest Test score of 237 against Australia is also a much-cherished innings. The match was in Rawalpindi in 1994 and we were in trouble when we had to follow on. However, we battled hard in the second innings and my innings contributed to us saving the match.

Read full interview on :
    http://www.timesofoman.com/article/7...;second-chance
    Last edited by MenInG; 30th December 2015 at 21:59.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ICC has cleared Amir, Asif and Butt as free to play.

This interview states that they haven't cleared Salim Malik.
    Maybe, but if the ICC clears him and he comes back, you will still give up on Pakistan cricket? At least that was what I inferred from your statement.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it were the case that malik was adjudged to have served his punishment (rather than being pardoned), would your opinion change?

if not, as you allude, your opinion would appear to be pinned on the subjective assessment of the severity of the crime as opposed to a principle of second chance - and i cant understand how that is defensible to be honest.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Great point @godzilla,
    I'd have to accept him back with gritted teeth, I guess.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great point @godzilla,
    I'd have to accept him back with gritted teeth, I guess.
    fair enough, although is still think that there's cracks of inconsistency in your position.

i think what this highlights though is that the principle issue that separates the fans who are prepared to forgive the trio and those who are not is the assessment of the severity of the crime they committed. its sad that so many straw men are corresponding abuse is thrown into the discussions of what is a very simple position; and, dare i say it, that subjective assessment does speak volumes of the people standing on either side of that line.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Has malik admitted his guilt and made a full unreserved apology?

What i can ascertain from the interview is how he feels hes been harshly treated compared to others

Why didnt pakpassion press him on this to get a yes or no?

More victim mentality than ownership from him in that interview
    Last edited by Zaz; 30th December 2015 at 22:17.

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Has malik admitted his guilt and made a full unreserved apology?

What i can ascertain from the interview is how he feels hes been harshly treated compared to others

Why didnt pakpassion press him on this to get a yes or no?

More victim mentality than ownership from him in that interview
    He has already kind of owned up saying all the players in the Qayyum report fixed one way or another but he was the one chosen to be punished.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I guess for legal reasons he had to be careful what he said and was as open as he could be.

He named some players directly regarding the Qayyum report and in all honesty I left those parts out for libel reasons.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miss those silky wrists at work!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    You know what though, I reckon he'd do a better job coaching our batsmen than some of the 'experts' at the NCA.
    Last edited by Saj; 31st December 2015 at 03:18.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Masoom View Post
    Miss those silky wrists at work!
    Context is important

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    @Saj congrats on yet another awesome interview - keep up the good work.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    You know what though, I reckon he'd do a better job coaching our batsmen than some of the 'experts' at the NCA.
    Will the PCB give him that chance?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I guess for legal reasons he had to be careful what he said and was as open as he could be.

He named some players directly regarding the Qayyum report and in all honesty I left those parts out for libel reasons.
    Good interview, and very thoughtful of you to do that.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Saleem Malik was once considered Pakistan’s most gifted batsman.

With supple wrists, and silky timing, Malik dominated spinners all over the world but was equally adept against menacing fast bowling. Debuting in 1982, he played 103 Tests for Pakistan, scoring at an average of 43.69 with 15 centuries and 29 fifties to his name.

All of Malik’s wizardry and statistics, however, remain buried deep under the rubble of match-fixing after the right-handed batsman was banned for life in 2000 from playing cricket, holding any office and from involvement in any cricket-playing activity.

With the embattled Mohammad Amir set to make a comeback to the Pakistan side, the 52-year-old Malik has once again appealed to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to give him another chance.

“I’m not angry or bitter. It just hurts. I played so many matches for Pakistan, I took part in so many great wins and even single-handedly won and saved matches for my country so why can’t I be given a second chance as others have been?” said Malik.

Malik, who was banned for life following Justice Malik Qayyum’s recommendation on match-fixing investigation that rocked Pakistan cricket in the 1990s, said in an interview with pakpassion.net that he hadn’t been fairly treated.

“I was nearing my international career’s end, so, I was made the scapegoat. They had to find one or two scapegoats,” Malik said.

Rashid Latif, former captain and wicketkeeper, was the first cricketer to blow the whistle on match-fixing during Pakistan’s tour of South Africa and Zimbabwe in 1995, where he had accused Malik and other team-mates of wrongdoing.

Latif’s allegations prompted the Pakistan government to initiate a probe which saw Malik and Ata-ur-Rehman being banned for life, while Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Saeed Anwar, Mushtaq Ahmed, Inzamamul Haq and Akram Raza received fines.

A detailed report by Justice Qayyum in this regard was a reflection of how corrupt practices were rampant in Pakistan cricket back in the 90s.

Malik, who has tried to get his ban lifted on several occasions in the past, was upset on not being treated in a fair manner.

“Justice should be equal for all,” he said, adding: “My question to those in authority has always been why I was treated differently to others? Why was I punished so harshly? Why was I shown no remorse or given a second chance?”

“There are many players named in the Qayyum report who have been allowed to work in international cricket but the fact remains that after sixteen years in isolation I’ve not been given another opportunity yet,” he said.

The 52-year-old said he tried many times to get his name cleared, but was declared “blacklisted and left in isolation”.

“I wanted to make a cricket academy; they wouldn’t even let me do that.”

However, the PCB did clear Malik’s status in response to an application he sent to the board two years ago, but that awaited a final clearance on part of the International Cricket Council (ICC).

“The PCB asked me to put my request in writing which I did two years ago. I was later told that my name had been cleared by the board and also by the courts. However, the stumbling block is the ICC which is yet to respond to PCB regarding my case. So, I wait now as I have done for many years for the ICC to clarify matters before I can move on and earn a living from cricket,” Malik said.

Commenting on the 2010 spot-fixing saga and the characters involved in it, Malik said: “Islam teaches us that if someone has made a mistake or sinned and is punished, and asks for forgiveness then we should give that person another chance.”

For Malik, the trio of Salman Butt, Amir and Mohammad Asif deserve a second chance as they have been punished and served the sentences handed out to them.

“I think all three of them can play for Pakistan and they still have a future in international cricket. Amir has a lot of cricket ahead of him, he can be world-class again. He has apologised and should be given another opportunity just as Asif and Butt should.”

Source : http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2015...nce-too-malik/
    Last edited by DanishJamil; 31st December 2015 at 11:01.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PennOne View Post
    He has already kind of owned up saying all the players in the Qayyum report fixed one way or another but he was the one chosen to be punished.
    If he has kind of owned up, the ICC has kind of forgiven him as well.

I am highlighting a quote from your link, as this is the logical conclusion that many on here still refuse to accept:

“I think all three of them can play for Pakistan and they still have a future in international cricket. Amir has a lot of cricket ahead of him, he can be world-class again. He has apologised and should be given another opportunity just as Asif and Butt should.”

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    @Saj congrats on yet another awesome interview - keep up the good work.
    Thanks.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFighter View Post
    Will the PCB give him that chance?
    There is some pressure on the Chairman. In fact I sent Shahryar Khan a copy of the interview also. But let's see at the end of the day the ICC may interfere.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It is amazing how players like Saleem Malik and Mohammad Azharuddin get the Chris Benoit treatment in cricket literature. It's as if they never existed or played those great knocks. Both were stars of their teams respectively and threw it all away to cheap money. I wonder how much did they even make,,its true cricketers weren't paid much back in the days but was it worth it? But maybe they never thought ICC would come down this heavily on the fixing menace.

Anyway back to the topic. The same rule should apply to all obviously. Malik's served his sentence and should now get every right others enjoy.

Debut
    Jul 2014
    Venue
    NXT Performance Center, Florida
    Runs
    Mentioned
    845 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cricket isn't a matter of life and death. He should be given another chance. He served his ban

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rightly deserve a chance

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The batsman with the velvet touch as described by David Gower

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3025 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Karachi: Pakistan's only cricketer to get a life ban for match fixing, Saleem Malik is convinced that cricket and other sports can never be rid of corruption.

"These fixing matters they can never be completely eradicated from cricket or other sports," Malik told PTI in an interview.

"They can be curtailed at the most because these people who want to make easy money from cricket will always come up with new ways to target players and officials and make them greedy," he said.

Malik, 54, was banned for life in 2000 on the recommendation of the Justice (retd) Malik Qayyum inquiry commission into match fixing in Pakistan cricket.

Malik, who later got a reprieve from the Supreme Court after appealing against the ban in a long drawn out legal process, said that the anti-corruption and security units set up by the International Cricket Council and its member boards were also not enough to eradicate the menace of fixing.

"I think the ICC and member boards can make their anti-corruption units more effective by including some high profile and well reputed former players on their units.

Because only a top player has the experience to detect anything wrong in a match," he said.

"Former police or intelligence officials who work with the ICC and member boards don't have the cricketing acumen or background to immediately notice something suspicious in a match only a cricketer can do that," he added.

The former Pakistan captain, who played 103 Tests and 283 one-day internationals before his ban, said there would always be players who could fall prey to greed.

"It is human nature the best way to further curb this menace is to have more stringent laws to deal with the corrupt."

Malik said he didn't feel there was any noticeable decline in fixing attempts by corrupt gamblers and bookmakers in the last decade or so and referred to the recent fixing issues in New Zealand and Sri Lankan cricket and in the expanding T20 leagues.

Malik also claimed that the Supreme Court in its ruling on his appeal had observed that no life ban was ever imposed on him in the first place since the Justice Qayyum had made a recommendation and further investigations should have been carried out by the board.

"For the last one and half years I have sent copies of the court order to the Pakistan board asking them to give me clearance to resume my ties with cricket at any level but they are not responding at all."

He said he couldn't approach the ICC directly on the matter since they said a player in such a case must come through proper channels.

Malik also lamented that the PCB had never tried to educate or protect its players properly against fixing attempts.

"Look at India they have protected their players despite allegations cropping up. The PCB should never have allowed Salman Butt, Muhammad Aamir, Muhammad Asif or even Danish Kaneria to be tried in the United Kingdom."

"These players should have been punished by the PCB at home."

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cric...k_1847274.html

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If in case he gets a second chance, should replace Waqar as our coach for the limited overs International cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Interesting debate on whether he deserves another chance or not.

I guess there are people within ICC and PCB who do not want to see him involved in Pakistan cricket again.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy to see Salim Malik giving expert analysis on TV

Salim Malik is on tv.. now he might be a controversial figure but I feel sorry him for what he has gone through in his past. Didn't deserved to be sidelined from the mainstream.

I found his analysis spot on, and pretty balanced.
    He has always been a great cricketing brain and he is honestly doing a much better job than some of the other names that are regularly on tv but only spew rubbish and hatred.
    Hopefully we get to see more of him. Its good for him to be back..

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where is he? I mean what channel? I'd honestly like to see him more involved as he was a fantastic and very smart cricketer.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    I remember him watching on 92 News HD a few times. He is a smart cricketing brain and should be given more tv time far better than those masala analysts.

" It is true, Pakistan cricket is not defined by planning, it is not defined by team work and it is not defined by an entire match. It is defined by moments, moments of inspiration, moments of magic, moments when the unsung become the sung, when the world starts rotating in the opposite direction, when the abnormal becomes the normal, when delusion becomes logic Ė it is when the stars align. "

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any video?

Should be hired as batting coach in NCA.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What's there to be happy about

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I feel Salim Malik as batting coach would really help us. If other convicted fixers can coach Pakistan then he deserves one opportunity as well. Like Amir, Butt and Asif he has payed his dues unlike his fellow fixers. taq

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    What's there to be happy about
    Hasn't he been sidelined from cricket fraternity for his past?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8087 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    He has done more for Pakistan cricket than Amir ever will, no reason why he shouldn't be welcomed back. One of the few good cricketing brains produced by Pakistan.

PCB should utilize his services.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    Hasn't he been sidelined from cricket fraternity for his past?
    Yeah he earned it. There's no redemption for certain things.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3025 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Hope the PCB will also look at Salim Malik for his insight.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Hope the PCB will also look at Salim Malik for his insight.
    With all due respect, why? Is it really beneficial for the young players to have a convicted match fixer coaching them or assisting in coaching in anyway?

Things will never change as long as crooks keep getting chances.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Think it's time to forgive, he's been banished long enough. Not saying it wasn't deserved, but when one of the other prime culprits of that era has been rewarded with a cushy job in the media and is getting paid as an adviser to the Chairman of the board, I think it's more than fair to bring Malik in from the cold and allow him to get on with his life.
    so if some one gets away with a crime, it should mean that everyone should get away with that same crime? Malik does not deserve to be in cricket as a coach on any level. He isn't starving, he has money, both what he earned during his playing career and what he earned from fixing.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tactically very knowledgeable.

Alexis Sanchez. Theo Walcott. Azhar Ali. Haris Sohail. Fawad Alam. Orochimaru.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo_14 View Post
    Tactically very knowledgeable.
    Absolutely, I'd go as far to say he was the best in the country after Miandad.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8087 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    As I said two months ago, PCB should stop discriminating between its fixers. If Amir has been welcomed back with open arms, the services of Malik should also be utilized.

People like him should be appointed to oversee the development of young batsmen at the junior level if we want our cricket to improve. Making cosmetic changes at the top level will make no difference.

You have to work your way from the bottom.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    As I said two months ago, PCB should stop discriminating between its fixers. If Amir has been welcomed back with open arms, the services of Malik should also be utilized.

People like him should be appointed to oversee the development of young batsmen at the junior level if we want our cricket to improve. Making cosmetic changes at the top level will make no difference.

You mean the current individuals within the PCB? The level of incompetence we have is awful. Put educated youngsters who watch cricket in the PCB set up under pro bono work and they would do a better job then the current set-up.

At the moment, dissolving PCB would be ideal, let alone the selection committee.

Alexis Sanchez. Theo Walcott. Azhar Ali. Haris Sohail. Fawad Alam. Orochimaru.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8087 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo_14 View Post
    You mean the current individuals within the PCB? The level of incompetence we have is awful. Put educated youngsters who watch cricket in the PCB set up under pro bono work and they would do a better job then the current set-up.

At the moment, dissolving PCB would be ideal, let alone the selection committee.
    The personnel is not the problem as much as the system. I believe that the upper-tier of PCB does not have as much as influence as we think, a lot of them have their hands tied due to vested interest(s).

I have personally believed for a long time that privatizing PCB is the way to go; same goes for PIA. However, both are unrealistic propositions and shall never happen.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rashid Latif keeps mentioning in his interviews about Salim Malik's excellent man management skills and that he was a very smart captain with a very good grasps of tactics. He reckons Malik could have gone on to became Pakistan's greatest captain.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFighter View Post
    Rashid Latif keeps mentioning in his interviews about Salim Malik's excellent man management skills and that he was a very smart captain with a very good grasps of tactics. He reckons Malik could have gone on to became Pakistan's greatest captain.
    I find this really Surprising when it was Rashid Latif's testimony that ended his career in the first place.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bump - Happy Birthday Salim Malik!

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayan View Post
    Bump - Happy Birthday Salim Malik!
    Happy Birthday. BTW, isn't he satisfied by the way he served his country as a cricketer previously.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having read the justice qayum report what Malik did was disgraceful but he's served his time so PCB should forgive him nd getting him working with younger batsmen. What I have read about him as a player is in oversees tours he had a good technique nd also the guy was a good capatin. Seems too me younger players could benefit from this guy technically nd mentally.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sigh - my only memory of Salim Malik was during the 1999 World Cup where he was struggling for runs and in absolute abysmal form. Thought he was an absolute mediocre player but did not know he had a 17 year career up to that point and over a 100 test matches under his belt!

Sad to see he was made the scapegoat during the Qayuum Report along with Ata Ur Rehman

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though he lacked Miandad's professionalism, guts and determination to save or win matches for Pakistan, but talent wise he was the most talented, classy and naturally gifted Pakistani batsman of his era. Imran Khan was always very unhappy from him as he believed Malik could have won more matches and could have performed mcuh better than Dean Jones at that time, had he justified his talent.

He has been the most corrupt cricketer Pakistan has ever produced, but if he has served his punishment, he should be free to do whatever he wants to.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He should return as well. Make him part of our setup. If we can have Waqar, Wasim, Mushtaq and Inzi then why not him?

He is the only one who has been unfairly treated by everyone.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    Sigh - my only memory of Salim Malik was during the 1999 World Cup where he was struggling for runs and in absolute abysmal form. Thought he was an absolute mediocre player but did not know he had a 17 year career up to that point and over a 100 test matches under his belt!

Sad to see he was made the scapegoat during the Qayuum Report along with Ata Ur Rehman
    They needed a big name to ban along Ata. His career was almost over so he became the best choice as a scapegoat. Other fixers were given a slap on the wrist and now they have credibility as well.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pace90 View Post
    Though he lacked Miandad's professionalism, guts and determination to save or win matches for Pakistan, but talent wise he was the most talented, classy and naturally gifted Pakistani batsman of his era.
    the most talented, classy, gifted batsmen mostly end up not doing anything for the team since their ****** side is left unchecked and unnnoticed. Its the people with guts, professionalism, integrity, honesty PLUS can also bat well, are the ones who we should be looking out for and give them enough chances to get groomed and serve the country.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3025 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    54th Birthday for Malik; opinions divided over his contributions to Pakistan Cricket

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Some of the stories I have read about him, he really sold his country down the drain.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    54th Birthday for Malik; opinions divided over his contributions to Pakistan Cricket
    We all know he was scapegoated for a batch of individuals that had a more significant image attached to Pakistan cricket. A good two decades down the line I guess we have are seeing what 'compromise' really does in the long run....

Honestly speaking, he is probably one of the greatest players of spin Pakistan has ever produced and has more services that some of the prima dona blokes that the board fights for tooth and nail....

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Salim Malik has been coming in frequent interviews in the media. He was absolutely critical of the PCB and some ex players mentioned in the Qayyum report being allowed coaching and NCA roles again.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Birthday of Saleem Malik today, he turns 55
    Last edited by giri26; 16th April 2018 at 09:48.