Bob Willis calls Shoaib Akhtar a "javelin thrower"


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 123
  1. #1
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    108,865
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Bob Willis calls Shoaib Akhtar a "javelin thrower"

    Interesting or uncalled for comments by Bob willis on the the S.A v Eng verdict programme right now on sky sports. The sky panel were dicussing some of the bowlers with the best strike rates ever as test match fast bowlers and Shoaib Akthar was on the list to which Bobs response was a comment about his action being that of a javelin thrower. Jonathan Trott then made a smart **** comment when asked about shoaibs action that he always wore long sleeve shirts when bowling. Really bad stuff from two so called professional panelists. I know Bob willis is more often then not out spoken but didnt expect Trott to make such uncessary comments.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    8,463
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Interesting or uncalled for comments by Bob willis on the the S.A v Eng verdict programme right now on sky sports. The sky panel were dicussing some of the bowlers with the best strike rates ever as test match fast bowlers and Shoaib Akthar was on the list to which Bobs response was a comment about his action being that of a javelin thrower. Jonathan Trott then made a smart **** comment when asked about shoaibs action that he always wore long sleeve shirts when bowling. Really bad stuff from two so called professional panelists. I know Bob willis is more often then not out spoken but didnt expect Trott to make such uncessary comments.
    Trott has always been very bitter about our cricket, since the days of when him and Wahab had a tussle. As for Wills, he's his usual cranky self. Classless.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    4,822
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    this will end well..

  4. #4
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    1,063
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Interesting or uncalled for comments by Bob willis on the the S.A v Eng verdict programme right now on sky sports. The sky panel were dicussing some of the bowlers with the best strike rates ever as test match fast bowlers and Shoaib Akthar was on the list to which Bobs response was a comment about his action being that of a javelin thrower. Jonathan Trott then made a smart **** comment when asked about shoaibs action that he always wore long sleeve shirts when bowling. Really bad stuff from two so called professional panelists. I know Bob willis is more often then not out spoken but didnt expect Trott to make such uncessary comments.

    Shoaib s lucky that he didn't have the testing methods ICC has these days. Poor Ajmal couldn't escape although he got Scott free for a long time and messed up so many careers who played within the rules of cricket.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    11,474
    Mentioned
    1616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I agree with Willis. Shoaib's action didn't look clean to me.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    182,838
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Interesting or uncalled for comments by Bob willis on the the S.A v Eng verdict programme right now on sky sports. The sky panel were dicussing some of the bowlers with the best strike rates ever as test match fast bowlers and Shoaib Akthar was on the list to which Bobs response was a comment about his action being that of a javelin thrower. Jonathan Trott then made a smart **** comment when asked about shoaibs action that he always wore long sleeve shirts when bowling. Really bad stuff from two so called professional panelists. I know Bob willis is more often then not out spoken but didnt expect Trott to make such uncessary comments.
    Jonathan Trott - almost expected. Met him in person and not impressed.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  7. #7
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,086
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

    As was Muralis but a lot on this forum still seem to call him a blatant chucker and disregard him from all records.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    182,838
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    This should make for interesting bed time reading for Willis Sahib


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  9. #9
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    1,714
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't see much of a disagreement with Bob there. There have always been questions raised over Akhtar's action which wasn't clean like Shane Bond or Dale Stern. He certainly seemed like chucking from different angles and a few teams also complained to the umpires over his action.

    Considering how strict the rules are today regarding Chucking, I doubt Akhtar would have managed to survive even for half the period of what he actually did.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    22,848
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    this could be an interesting thread, just requires the right/subtle amount of trolling.

  11. #11
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,233
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even Lee action was suspected

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    uk
    Runs
    3,900
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ChachaCricket
    I see a lawsuit being filed against mr. Willis.
    Akhtar threatened greg Chappell 2006 when he backed down because of the withdrawal by Chappell.

    Even in his book he mentions that if anybody slanders him for his action, he will take him to court

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    uk
    Runs
    3,900
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Cobra View Post
    Don't see much of a disagreement with Bob there. There have always been questions raised over Akhtar's action which wasn't clean like Shane Bond or Dale Stern. He certainly seemed like chucking from different angles and a few teams also complained to the umpires over his action.

    Considering how strict the rules are today regarding Chucking, I doubt Akhtar would have managed to survive even for half the period of what he actually did.
    Have a nice sleep while reading that pdf file

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    6,123
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axl100mph View Post
    @ChachaCricket
    I see a lawsuit being filed against mr. Willis.
    Akhtar threatened greg Chappell 2006 when he backed down because of the withdrawal by Chappell.

    Even in his book he mentions that if anybody slanders him for his action, he will take him to court
    Hope so.

    None of these chumps have any clue on what they're talking about anyway.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    15,007
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axl100mph View Post
    @ChachaCricket
    I see a lawsuit being filed against mr. Willis.
    Akhtar threatened greg Chappell 2006 when he backed down because of the withdrawal by Chappell.

    Even in his book he mentions that if anybody slanders him for his action, he will take him to court
    I agree with you. He won't let it go.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    108,865
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Jonathan Trott - almost expected. Met him in person and not impressed.
    Fair point if you have met him and he comes across as the not the best person.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    uk
    Runs
    3,900
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post
    I agree with you. He won't let it go.
    I just hope that people flood his Twitter account with this suggestion and that he doesnt act lazy for once

    Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    95,670
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Let me spell out the narrative this thread should follow:

    Poster A will call Bob Willis a bitter old man.

    Poster B will say that he's jealous because England haven't produced an express pacer for decades

    Poster C will say that both of them have no idea what they are talking about.

    Poster D will call Anderson 'Clouderson' and Broad 'Barbie'.

    Poster E will pick on that and reveal that they can only bowl in overcast conditions on a green pitch.

    Poster F will recall the spat between Wahab and Trott in 2010 and declare that he has issues with us. Must be jealous of our talent.

    Poster G will call Trott a loser who ran away in the middle of the series because he couldn't handle a searing Johnson.

    Poster H will pick on that and say that had Trott faced Akhtar in his prime, he would have been killed.

    Poster I will take that further and recall that in the ODI series in 2010, even a past it Akhtar castled Trott twice and that's why he's bitter and jealous because he couldn't handle him.

    I hope I didn't miss anything.
    Last edited by MenInG; 30th December 2015 at 00:44.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    4,886
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any1 know these 2's twitter aliases?

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    17,336
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Trott can talk away He ll be lucky to be a footnote in history compared to shoaib


    If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

  21. #21
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    9,697
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Willis is like this pretty much all the time, Trott is an absolute tool have absolute no time for this mercenary.


    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    37,271
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can expect this from English media panelists. Not surprised


    "The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

  23. #23
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    8,793
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    While these comments are unnecessary and uncalled for, i've always had doubt on Akhtars action

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY23BXu2nQE

    Just watch the replays at 0.25 speed and I'm sure that would be a suspected action now days.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,685
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Actually the action akhtar used in the earlier part of his career looked much cleaner than his remodled action . Watch clips of him castling tendulkar and the 99 world cup . Nothing dodgy there .

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    2,862
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I had to say Shoiab's action was not smooth unlike Brett Lee's.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,233
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belawal2014 View Post
    And what will poster @Mamoon say?
    Pakistan cricket is finished.We are doomed.Do you expect Saint Akhtar to be presented with flowers? Typical Pakistani mentality.If Trott or Willis had beard the reaction wouldn't have been the same.

  27. #27
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,233
    Mentioned
    1114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian_Supporter View Post
    All I had to say Shoiab's action was not smooth unlike Brett Lee's.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Lee also had suspect action.His action was tested as well

  28. #28
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    44,845
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian_Supporter View Post
    All I had to say Shoiab's action was not smooth unlike Brett Lee's.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    And exactly how much hyper-extension did Brett Lee have?

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    2,862
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    And exactly how much of a hyper-extension did Brett Lee have?
    That I am not sure. But from naked eye Lee's action looked much smoother.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    27,946
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Loved watching Akhtar bowl but wouldn't have lasted a test match with the new rules. Both him and murli would have been banished without a trace.
    Last edited by Abdul; 30th December 2015 at 01:50.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    uk
    Runs
    3,900
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    While these comments are unnecessary and uncalled for, i've always had doubt on Akhtars action

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY23BXu2nQE

    Just watch the replays at 0.25 speed and I'm sure that would be a suspected action now days.
    Did you even read the document presented in the op? Or go through the thread?

  32. #32
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    8,793
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axl100mph View Post
    Did you even read the document presented in the op? Or go through the thread?
    Yeah, why?

  33. #33
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    95,670
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belawal2014 View Post
    And what will poster @Mamoon say?
    I think that we can discuss the validity of his action without pointing fingers at the character of Willis and Trott, which is a bit difficult for us though.
    Last edited by Abdul; 30th December 2015 at 01:52.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,685
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian_Supporter View Post
    That I am not sure. But from naked eye Lee's action looked much smoother.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Naa . Check out his fastest over to Ponting and delivery with which he castled tendulkar . His action was just as smooth before he remodeled it .

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,685
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shoaib indeed had a very impressive strike rate and was a bigger match winner than he gets credit for along with being the fastest gun of all time . Won Pakistan three
    tests vs southafrica .
    That long sleeve comment from trott is so misinformed . Akhtar bowled with short sleeves on numerous occasions . Infact the last tournament he played i-e the 2011 Wc , he bowled with short sleeves . Wahab should have knocked some sense into him that day at the oval .

  36. #36
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    787
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Willis is a bitter old man and not the sharpest tool in the box.

    Some of the "pundits" keep harping on about Shoaib, Murali etc when they were cleared by the ICC.

    Get over it and talk about something else instead of sounding like a broken record.

    I remember the English Media and "pundits" talking about the legitimacy of reverse swing when Wasim/Waqar were taking English wickets for fun until 2005 Ashes and then it became a skill.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    95,670
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axl100mph View Post
    I asked you several questions in the last post in that yk discussion.
    Atleast, you could have answered them rather than run away with your tail btw the legs.
    Why even be on a forum if you dont want to debate with somebody who can bring up valid points.

    these days, all you are searching for, is to argue with those poor fellows, whom you can attribute your generalized theories to.
    Guys who have weak perspectives and are not knowledgeable.
    Anybody half logical and you scamper free:

    Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk
    I couldn't muster the energy to dissect your logically challenged bias, but if you wish:

    You called Ijaz a lower-order batsman. Anyone who saw him play will recall that he was the best back-foot batsman of his time in Pakistan and was very strong square off the wicket, which explains his record in Australia. In addition, due to his habit of playing with hard hands, he was nowhere as proficient against spin as some of our batsmen like Inzamam and Malik.

    That's why he batted at 3. Similarly, Azhar has good defense against pace and can blunt the new ball, so he also bats at 3. So why is it wrong for Inzamam to hide behind Ijaz and right for Younis to hide behind Azhar? You either criticize both or neither.

    After this poor point that you raised, I didn't even bother to read the rest of the gibberish because I knew you will slip trying to wiggle your way out of this one. Is this what you call technical analysis? Ijaz a lower-order batsman who batted at 3 because he wasn't suited to that position?

    Don't flatter yourself with what you call 'technical analysis'.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    15,007
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I hope my irrelevant post is not deleted.

    @axl100mph

    @Mamoon was the first person on this forum who proposed the idea of having shoaib Malik in the test team against England when Ajmal after remodelling his action was not effective.

    Everybody on this forum bashed him for this idea and people presented malik's test bowling stats and said it was a mad idea and he is fan boy of Malik that's why giving this idea. Mamoon got lots of slak from many posters.

    But in the end he proved to be spot on and despite having huge trouble with short pitch bowling Malik did contribute to us winning that series with both Bat and Ball.

    So credit where due.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    12,532
    Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Needless and pointless comment by Bob tbh. What is the need to slander a retired player like that. As far as i know Akhtar hasnt ever insulted Bob or Trott. Bob has a history of making controversial comments just to stir the pot. Something u would expect from a GEO pundit.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

  40. #40
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javelin throwers often have excellent biomechanics and superb strength and conditioning.

    Not sure that's what Willis means though! As an Englishman it's a real shame to see this but he has the 'Bob' TV persona to keep up.

    Hyperextension > Hypertension any day.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    12,988
    Mentioned
    978 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    There was nothing wrong with Akhtar's action.

    He has a hyper-extension and that made it look bad.

    Anyway, they can keep on crying because he will still be considered the fastest of all time and a legend.


    I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

  42. #42
    Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    921
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a bit unnecessary, they were talking about a lot of bowlers and strike rates in general, there was no need to go there. I'm
    Very surprised actually.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    uk
    Runs
    3,900
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    And you have failed to answer because you presented factually incorrect arguments, such as Inzamam hiding behind Ijaz even though he wasn't suited to batting at number 3 while Azhar is. Is this the best you could do?
    [quote name="Mamoon" post=8281292]A very poor post devoid of facts. If I could muster the energy to dissect the logical fallacies in your post and poor facts:



    1. Inzamam moved down the order first for Ijaz and later for MoYo, both were top-order players. Yet you choose to criticize them for hiding down the order while giving Younis a free pass.



    2. I've said on record on my times that the best batsman in the team should bat at 3 in Tests. I have criticized Tendulkar for it and I am also critical of Kohli and Root. Both are the best batsmen in their team and they need to bat at 3, rather than hide down the order.



    3. Younis has a great record in the fourth innings because he's an outstanding player of spin and his deficiencies agai and pacers is also masked on a day 5 pitch. It has nothing to do with guts.[/QUOTE]



    Ijaz used to be a number 6,7 batsman and only moved to 3 because inzi didnt want to bat there.



    You might have advocated for the best batsmen to bat at 3 but I doubt that you have called sachin or kohli as being cowards to have stuck to no. 4



    Why would you? Coz if you do, you will lose your perspective and standing on this forum



    And by the way, younis batted at 3 during his stint as captain so you cant attribute his demotion to 4 as his own doing. He could hv promoted anybody else to number 3 like in 2005' melbourne; yousuf brought yasir hameed, a top order player into the xi to sheath himself rather than bringing a middle order player in asim kamal as inzi's replacement.



    What if misbah wants to sheath him from the new ball.

    What if the team management feels and rightly so that azhar's weakness against spin and solidity against pace can make him a better option at 3 than 4?



    Coming to the 4th innings debate



    For reference, your view of amla as a choker because he cant handle the pressure of knockout games was even discussed on the opera show, such is its fame.



    So that means, you do rate pressure of the occasion as a determining factor in gauging somebody's skills.



    So why do you dispel younis and his 4th innings knocks?

    Forget that he smiles and is called saintly.



    Performing in the 4th innings doesnt only have to deal with the skill to play spin. You have to have the marbles to handle pressure of the 4th innings.



    Were tendulkar, moyo lesser players of spin than younis? Why dont they boast a record like yk if all it takes is just skill?



    Once again you lose track and start arguing about how he is a weak player of pace and that his deficiencies get masked.

    Oo bhaiii, when did I contest this claim?

    I agree that he has his frailties against pace.

    But do you deny that scoring in the 4th innings requires no extra guts, pressure?

    I dont see how one can.

    You called him cowardly but I am afraid, a coward fails to hold his own in pressure situations, let alone outperform all his contemporaries.







    Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

    Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    uk
    Runs
    3,900
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axl100mph View Post
    [quote name="Mamoon" post=8281292]A very poor post devoid of facts. If I could muster the energy to dissect the logical fallacies in your post and poor facts:



    1. Inzamam moved down the order first for Ijaz and later for MoYo, both were top-order players. Yet you choose to criticize them for hiding down the order while giving Younis a free pass.



    2. I've said on record on my times that the best batsman in the team should bat at 3 in Tests. I have criticized Tendulkar for it and I am also critical of Kohli and Root. Both are the best batsmen in their team and they need to bat at 3, rather than hide down the order.



    3. Younis has a great record in the fourth innings because he's an outstanding player of spin and his deficiencies agai and pacers is also masked on a day 5 pitch. It has nothing to do with guts.


    Ijaz used to be a number 6,7 batsman and only moved to 3 because inzi didnt want to bat there.



    You might have advocated for the best batsmen to bat at 3 but I doubt that you have called sachin or kohli as being cowards to have stuck to no. 4



    Why would you? Coz if you do, you will lose your perspective and standing on this forum



    And by the way, younis batted at 3 during his stint as captain so you cant attribute his demotion to 4 as his own doing. He could hv promoted anybody else to number 3 like in 2005' melbourne; yousuf brought yasir hameed, a top order player into the xi to sheath himself rather than bringing a middle order player in asim kamal as inzi's replacement.



    What if misbah wants to sheath him from the new ball.

    What if the team management feels and rightly so that azhar's weakness against spin and solidity against pace can make him a better option at 3 than 4?



    Coming to the 4th innings debate



    For reference, your view of amla as a choker because he cant handle the pressure of knockout games was even discussed on the opera show, such is its fame.



    So that means, you do rate pressure of the occasion as a determining factor in gauging somebody's skills.



    So why do you dispel younis and his 4th innings knocks?

    Forget that he smiles and is called saintly.



    Performing in the 4th innings doesnt only have to deal with the skill to play spin. You have to have the marbles to handle pressure of the 4th innings.



    Were tendulkar, moyo lesser players of spin than younis? Why dont they boast a record like yk if all it takes is just skill?



    Once again you lose track and start arguing about how he is a weak player of pace and that his deficiencies get masked.

    Oo bhaiii, when did I contest this claim?

    I agree that he has his frailties against pace.

    But do you deny that scoring in the 4th innings requires no extra guts, pressure?

    I dont see how one can.

    You called him cowardly but I am afraid, a coward fails to hold his own in pressure situations, let alone outperform all his contemporaries.







    Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

    Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    @Mamoon
    I only gave the ijaz analogy because he was not a top order batsman at first but was brought i especially because nobody else was there.
    Inzi, malik and what not were already established before he was drafted in.

    Azhar on the other hand was a top order batsman by default and had relatively done well in his stint at no. 3 in the testing conditions of england.

    He had ESTABLISHED himself there and knowing misbah and his penchant for sticking to what works, I doubt that he would have wanted him to shift slots when saint younis came back against the saffers.

    In case you ask for evidence, well then one only has to look as far as younis' batting position during his captaincy stint.
    If he was so spooked by batting up the order, then why did he not demote himself when he became captain?
    And then you threw at me the absurd logic that batting well in the fourth innings is no indicator of guts.

    Well, I explained this part pretty clearly in the post I tagged you earlier. Please spare me time and read from there

    Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    uk
    Runs
    3,900
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Betterpolo View Post
    Javelin throwers often have excellent biomechanics and superb strength and conditioning.

    Not sure that's what Willis means though! As an Englishman it's a real shame to see this but he has the 'Bob' TV persona to keep up.

    Hyperextension > Hypertension any day.
    They throw and he called akhtar to be doing so too

    Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

  46. #46
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    22,848
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axl100mph View Post
    In comes the brother of mr. T
    Who poses with all his 10 dollar phrases and vocabulary but has the comprehension of jr. misbah's class fellows

    Then we have the saner version of this breed who like Mr. T, is a doctor

    He will wrist slit even after reaching nirvana, with each one of his rebirths being ended by sever drainage of blood administered voluntarily.

    Anybody showing a semblance of hope would be labelled as psychotic

    this guy would even side with the indian trolls and eventually bore them out


    There you have it guys;
    MR. T AND HIS RANGERS



    Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk
    It's all good. we do need to provide an unflattering comparison vs your more meaningful missives.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    16,042
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Let me spell out the narrative this thread should follow:

    Poster A will call Bob Willis a bitter old man.

    Poster B will say that he's jealous because England haven't produced an express pacer for decades

    Poster C will say that both of them have no idea what they are talking about.

    Poster D will call Anderson 'Clouderson' and Broad 'Barbie'.

    Poster E will pick on that and reveal that they can only bowl in overcast conditions on a green pitch.

    Poster F will recall the spat between Wahab and Trott in 2010 and declare that he has issues with us. Must be jealous of our talent.

    Poster G will call Trott a loser who ran away in the middle of the series because he couldn't handle a searing Johnson.

    Poster H will pick on that and say that had Trott faced Akhtar in his prime, he would have been killed.

    Poster I will take that further and recall that in the ODI series in 2010, even a past it Akhtar castled Trott twice and that's why he's bitter and jealous because he couldn't handle him.

    I hope I didn't miss anything.
    Lol.

    Do you expect him to be praised?


    And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

  48. #48
    Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Casablanca
    Runs
    9,620
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    wheres the racism bit. its usually the first go-to
    Sometimes its better to expect positive things

  49. #49
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was no better sight in world sports than Shoaib Akhtar hurling thunderbolts down the pitch. Magical.


    BringBackAsif
    #KarachiKings

  50. #50
    Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    1,325
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob Willis is wrong, Akhtar was never convicted of chucking so he can cry me a river and it won't change anything
    All the highly intelligent remarks about him not lasting in today's game under the new rules doesn't matter because he was cleared under the rules of his playing time. Unless you find a dalorean to get him from 1999 to 2015 there's no way to prove it.

    Either way, I find the reason for his speed and action to be his hyper extension. Shoaib said himself that every time he bowled his shoulder popped out of its socket and then popped back in, giving him a slingshot and skiddy delivery. He said similar thing would happen with his knees, and he had a whole slew of problems because of this gift/curse


    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson
    Proud Green Blooded Pakistani

  51. #51
    Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    4,443
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why doesn't he call out Lee who was twice called for throwing?

    Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

  52. #52
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    11,852
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Let me spell out the narrative this thread should follow:

    Poster A will call Bob Willis a bitter old man.

    Poster B will say that he's jealous because England haven't produced an express pacer for decades

    Poster C will say that both of them have no idea what they are talking about.

    Poster D will call Anderson 'Clouderson' and Broad 'Barbie'.

    Poster E will pick on that and reveal that they can only bowl in overcast conditions on a green pitch.

    Poster F will recall the spat between Wahab and Trott in 2010 and declare that he has issues with us. Must be jealous of our talent.

    Poster G will call Trott a loser who ran away in the middle of the series because he couldn't handle a searing Johnson.

    Poster H will pick on that and say that had Trott faced Akhtar in his prime, he would have been killed.

    Poster I will take that further and recall that in the ODI series in 2010, even a past it Akhtar castled Trott twice and that's why he's bitter and jealous because he couldn't handle him.

    I hope I didn't miss anything.
    Lmao Hilarious!! So trueee

  53. #53
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,352
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His was the same case as that of Ajmal's - but apparently not as 'severe'. They both had the natural elbow angle argument (a.k.a. medical reasons) work in their favors under the previous rules. Some level of this extension you can find even in McGrath's action if you really want to look for it.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Singapura
    Runs
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_KING View Post
    I agree with Willis. Shoaib's action didn't look clean to me.
    Agreed. he was mostly ok though...but some of his effort balls clearly looked like he is chucking them, bowlers with elbow hyperextension should be made to bowl with braces in match conditions


    'If I have to shoot 200,000 students to save China from another 100 years of disorder, so be it.'

  55. #55
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Singapura
    Runs
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Let me spell out the narrative this thread should follow:

    Poster A will call Bob Willis a bitter old man.

    Poster B will say that he's jealous because England haven't produced an express pacer for decades

    Poster C will say that both of them have no idea what they are talking about.

    Poster D will call Anderson 'Clouderson' and Broad 'Barbie'.

    Poster E will pick on that and reveal that they can only bowl in overcast conditions on a green pitch.

    Poster F will recall the spat between Wahab and Trott in 2010 and declare that he has issues with us. Must be jealous of our talent.

    Poster G will call Trott a loser who ran away in the middle of the series because he couldn't handle a searing Johnson.

    Poster H will pick on that and say that had Trott faced Akhtar in his prime, he would have been killed.

    Poster I will take that further and recall that in the ODI series in 2010, even a past it Akhtar castled Trott twice and that's why he's bitter and jealous because he couldn't handle him.

    I hope I didn't miss anything.


    Quality Poster here!


    'If I have to shoot 200,000 students to save China from another 100 years of disorder, so be it.'

  56. #56
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    4,432
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The irritating thing about Shoaib was that he chucked selectively.

    Was always entertaining back then to hear his interviews where he'd bring in his flat feet as part of his explanation regarding the 'whipping' illusion to his action.

    His desperation for pace and the driving need to outdo Waqar made him bend the rules when he anyway had great variations to be a very good bowler.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    4,917
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those who call Akhtar and Bhajji chuckers can keep crying.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    19,153
    Mentioned
    1509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Jeff Thomson was an underage javelin throwing champion

    Javelin throwing or athletics training would really help with developing an optimal runnup and its what Lillee practiced when fixing his runnup after his massive back injuries.


    Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    4,432
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Jeff Thomson was an underage javelin throwing champion

    Javelin throwing or athletics training would really help with developing an optimal runnup and its what Lillee practiced when fixing his runnup after his massive back injuries.
    Except that Thommo didn't resort to an action he was well versed in, when things weren't going his way.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    55,251
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It's amazing how someone named Willie & a ****** who quit cricket due to too much pressure allegedly, could conjure up enough courage to mock a Sher Dil insaan like Shoaib Akhtar. I don't even know where to start with this, if Javelin throwers could become great fast bowlers we'd have tons of those already. Apparently, it still takes a ridiculous amount of hard work to make it this large.


    PS, would be fun to see how Shoaib responds to this.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    4,773
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Let me spell out the narrative this thread should follow:

    Poster A will call Bob Willis a bitter old man.

    Poster B will say that he's jealous because England haven't produced an express pacer for decades

    Poster C will say that both of them have no idea what they are talking about.

    Poster D will call Anderson 'Clouderson' and Broad 'Barbie'.

    Poster E will pick on that and reveal that they can only bowl in overcast conditions on a green pitch.

    Poster F will recall the spat between Wahab and Trott in 2010 and declare that he has issues with us. Must be jealous of our talent.

    Poster G will call Trott a loser who ran away in the middle of the series because he couldn't handle a searing Johnson.

    Poster H will pick on that and say that had Trott faced Akhtar in his prime, he would have been killed.

    Poster I will take that further and recall that in the ODI series in 2010, even a past it Akhtar castled Trott twice and that's why he's bitter and jealous because he couldn't handle him.

    I hope I didn't miss anything.
    Posters A-I ( and a few more till Z ) will call you a triator, Indian, clueless etc ... thats what you missed

  62. #62
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    662
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what was Shoaib Akhtar's reply? expecting a bouncer

  63. #63
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    4,820
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a decade too late Willie

  64. #64
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    95,670
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    @axl100mph

    I think you need to work on the art of brevity - typing walls of text is no good when your point(s) can be summarized in 3-4 lines:

    1. Younis is no coward because he is good in fourth innings

    2. Ijaz was a lower-order batsman initially

    3. Misbah might have wanted him to bat below Azhar

    4. You are biased

    Let's go back to the original point that I raised. If you go back, I didn't call Younis a cowardly batsman; I called him cowardly against pace. There is no doubt he has played some tough innings including 4th innings heroics, but he chickens out against pace and is always in survival-mode. You said that he doesn't chicken out but instead, he doesn't have the technique. Both go hand in hand - he knows he isn't capable, but he also doesn't back himself. When was the last time you saw him take on a pacer? He did that earlier in his career but playing in the UAE has made him worse against pacers.

    Tendulkar has destroyed the best bowlers in history, but even though he probably had the most natural talent the game has ever seen, considering he was a complete Test batsman in his teen years, he still hasn't done enough to be considered the greatest of all time even though he has mounted more runs than anyone. One of these reasons is his reluctance to lead the innings and rather hide behind Dravid who blunted the new ball for him.

    As far Kohli is concerned, he's a gutsy player but the way he raised the white flag against Anderson in England raises questions against him, and I also don't like the way he has demoted himself to number 4 in ODIs to protect his form.

    Your point regarding Ijaz is also a flawed one - like Azhar, he was suited to playing up the order. It doesn't matter where he started in 1987 as a young kid, the fact is that if you are criticizing Inzamam for hiding behind even though he was the better player, you should also Younis for hiding behind Azhar.

    You ask me to consider that Misbah might have wanted him to do so? Well, why don't you consider that Wasim might have wanted him Inzamam to play below Ijaz when he was captain? Why the double-standards?

  65. #65
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    2,251
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    The irritating thing about Shoaib was that he chucked selectively.

    Was always entertaining back then to hear his interviews where he'd bring in his flat feet as part of his explanation regarding the 'whipping' illusion to his action.

    His desperation for pace and the driving need to outdo Waqar made him bend the rules when he anyway had great variations to be a very good bowler.
    Dont remember anything like that he always explained whipping illusion with his hyper extension which was clearly there

    Flat feet was what he used to explain his knee troubles

  66. #66
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    1,890
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I remember that DeVilliers was also called a javelin thrower, Fanie DeViliers that is. But he was indeed an international standard javelin thrower.


    I am not one of those who when expressing opinions confine themselves to facts.

  67. #67
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    4,432
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakcricket89 View Post
    Dont remember anything like that he always explained whipping illusion with his hyper extension which was clearly there

    Flat feet was what he used to explain his knee troubles
    He used to bring up the flat feet while talking about how he had deformities and hence the apparent illusion that he was chucking. Never understood the connection though.

  68. #68
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    29,987
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nothing new here the English have always criticized the Pakistani bowlers coz they gave them nightmares, funny how reverse swing was cheating until Trescothick 's mighty minty saliva came into picture.


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  69. #69
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Bengaluru
    Runs
    814
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Nothing new here the English have always criticized the Pakistani bowlers coz they gave them nightmares, funny how reverse swing was cheating until Trescothick 's mighty minty saliva came into picture.
    They won test series in Pakistan in 2001.If anything English gave Pakistan as many chances as possible.Even now Giles Clark is interlocutor between PCB & BCCI.

  70. #70
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    29,987
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dandapinda View Post
    They won test series in Pakistan in 2001.If anything English gave Pakistan as many chances as possible.Even now Giles Clark is interlocutor between PCB & BCCI.
    That's because BCCI is stronger than ECB.BTW what chances?


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  71. #71
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    9,944
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dandapinda View Post
    They won test series in Pakistan in 2001.If anything English gave Pakistan as many chances as possible.Even now Giles Clark is interlocutor between PCB & BCCI.
    What the hell are you on about? See, this is why I ask you not to comment on things you don't know about.

    England did not tour Pakistan in 2001. Pakistan toured England. They played two test matches. England won the first and Pakistan won the second. England toured Pakistan in 2000 where England won the test series 1-0 but lost the ODI series.




    Sua cuique voluptas.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    95,670
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberkoen View Post
    What the hell are you on about? See, this is why I ask you not to comment on things you don't know about.

    England did not tour Pakistan in 2001. Pakistan toured England. They played two test matches. England won the first and Pakistan won the second. England toured Pakistan in 2000 where England won the test series 1-0 but lost the ODI series.
    Cut him some slack, sir. Memories can fail us, he was off by 1 year only.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    592
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samplepiece View Post
    I remember that DeVilliers was also called a javelin thrower, Fanie DeViliers that is. But he was indeed an international standard javelin thrower.
    Wasn't Jeff Thomson also a javelin thrower initially?

  74. #74
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    10,323
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Loved watching Akhtar bowl but wouldn't have lasted a test match with the new rules. Both him and murli would have been banished without a trace.
    What new rules? The rule was 15 degrees even when Shoaib and Murli played. Its just that Akmal went unchallenged for a long time and he kept getting worse. He was caught at 40+ degrees.

  75. #75
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    1,890
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karthikc View Post
    Wasn't Jeff Thomson also a javelin thrower initially?
    Yeah heard that he had a javelin throwers action but Fanie was an actual javelin thrower.


    I am not one of those who when expressing opinions confine themselves to facts.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Bengaluru
    Runs
    814
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bob Willis calls Shoaib Akhtar a "javelin thrower"

    Quote Originally Posted by uberkoen View Post
    What the hell are you on about? See, this is why I ask you not to comment on things you don't know about.

    England did not tour Pakistan in 2001. Pakistan toured England. They played two test matches. England won the first and Pakistan won the second. England toured Pakistan in 2000 where England won the test series 1-0 but lost the ODI series.
    Yes 2000 test series what I am talking about...I guess they won in dark (days when umpires consult batsmen for lights)..,I guess they won in SL as well in same year.

    But overall point still remains same as England stood by Pakistan many times.I guess they arranged that fateful series where Amir fixing scandal broke.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    10,323
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    @axl100mph

    I think you need to work on the art of brevity - typing walls of text is no good when your point(s) can be summarized in 3-4 lines:

    1. Younis is no coward because he is good in fourth innings

    2. Ijaz was a lower-order batsman initially

    3. Misbah might have wanted him to bat below Azhar

    4. You are biased

    Let's go back to the original point that I raised. If you go back, I didn't call Younis a cowardly batsman; I called him cowardly against pace. There is no doubt he has played some tough innings including 4th innings heroics, but he chickens out against pace and is always in survival-mode. You said that he doesn't chicken out but instead, he doesn't have the technique. Both go hand in hand - he knows he isn't capable, but he also doesn't back himself. When was the last time you saw him take on a pacer? He did that earlier in his career but playing in the UAE has made him worse against pacers.

    Tendulkar has destroyed the best bowlers in history, but even though he probably had the most natural talent the game has ever seen, considering he was a complete Test batsman in his teen years, he still hasn't done enough to be considered the greatest of all time even though he has mounted more runs than anyone. One of these reasons is his reluctance to lead the innings and rather hide behind Dravid who blunted the new ball for him.

    As far Kohli is concerned, he's a gutsy player but the way he raised the white flag against Anderson in England raises questions against him, and I also don't like the way he has demoted himself to number 4 in ODIs to protect his form.

    Your point regarding Ijaz is also a flawed one - like Azhar, he was suited to playing up the order. It doesn't matter where he started in 1987 as a young kid, the fact is that if you are criticizing Inzamam for hiding behind even though he was the better player, you should also Younis for hiding behind Azhar.

    You ask me to consider that Misbah might have wanted him to do so? Well, why don't you consider that Wasim might have wanted him Inzamam to play below Ijaz when he was captain? Why the double-standards?
    Tendulkar always had a huge burden of expectations on his head. This needs to be taken into consideration before comparing to others. He opened the batting in ODIs for most of his career and I don't think he went to no.4 because he chickened against the new ball.

    Virat Kohli was pushed to No.4 slot by Dhoni. It wasn't his choice. They needed to fit Rahane somewhere and Dhoni wanted to try that.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    2,251
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    He used to bring up the flat feet while talking about how he had deformities and hence the apparent illusion that he was chucking. Never understood the connection though.
    Kindly quote his interview you are talking about

    I have followed Akhtar through out his career and never remember him saying his whipping illusion is due to flat feet. He always said the illusion is due to his hyper extensive joints. He talked about flat feet in connection with his knee injuries.

  79. #79
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    182,838
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Stay on topic

    Any other issues go to mrr forum


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  80. #80
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    4,543
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get it. What's wrong with being a Javelin thrower?

    They throw Javelins with ramrod straight arms. Infact a cleaner, straighter arm action does not exist.

    The best of the javelin throwers was a bloke called Jeff Thomson.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •