Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

"My best cricketing years are ahead of me" : Junaid Khan

Regarded as one of Pakistan's most talented left-arm fast-bowlers and a regular member of the national squad until June 2015, Junaid Khan has faced an uphill struggle to re-establish himself in the national team due largely to injuries. Since 2011 when he made his debut in all three formats of the game, the twenty-six year old pace bowler has played twenty-two Test matches in which he has taken seventy-one wickets, fifty-two ODIs in which he has claimed seventy-eight international scalps and also represented Pakistan in nine T20Is taking eight wickets.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Junaid spoke about his recent struggles and his plans to re-establish himself in the national team after injury, his aspirations to raise his performance levels to that of the legendary Wasim Akram, the healthy competition for places in the national team due to the return of Mohammad Amir, looked forward to the advent of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) and also to leading Pakistan A against England Lions in the UAE.

PakPassion : It wasn’t that long ago that you were a regular selection in all of the formats for Pakistan, but now you can’t get into the international team in any format. That must be disappointing for you?

Junaid Khan : Yes it’s disappointing as I was one of Pakistan’s leading bowlers for three to four years. Unfortunately though, when you get injured it takes a bit of time for you to regain your rhythm, especially for a bowler. The best way to regain that rhythm is to play a lot of cricket and bowl lots of overs, but I’ve not had as much match practice as I would have liked. Having said that I feel that my form and rhythm are both coming back and I’m confident about the future.

PakPassion : There are some who doubt that after your injury problems you will ever be the same bowler. Is that a fair assessment?

Junaid Khan : There are always going to be doubts when a cricketer doesn’t seem to be at the same level he was previously, particularly after injury. Even I had doubts in my own mind so it’s not unusual or unfair for people to think this way. But I’ve got rid of those thoughts and cleared my mind and I am focussing only on positive thoughts. Recently I felt that I bowled well against England Lions in UAE and also in the domestic Twenty20 tournament. As a bowler, it was the best that I have felt for a long time. I don’t think people should write me off, and I believe my best cricketing years are ahead of me. If your career is positive all the way then you have been fortunate, I feel that if you can come back from adversity like injuries then that makes you a stronger person and toughens you up.

PakPassion : You don’t seem to be bowling with the same venom you once were. Why do you think that is?

Junaid Khan : I agree that when I came back from injury I wasn’t bowling as quick as I used to, but that was to be expected. When you come back from injury, if you push yourself too much too soon, that can lead to problems. Even the great bowlers over the years when they have come back from injury they have taken their time before they got back to their full speed. But now I think I am bowling as quick as I ever have. I’m bowling at about 140kph and sometimes more, the reverse-swing is there, as are the Yorkers so I’m happy with my form.

PakPassion : In addition to your form and fitness, do you feel that your confidence is there, as you seem to be a bowler who shines when he’s confident?

Junaid Khan : Absolutely. I think fitness, form and confidence all work in tandem. You need all three to work in tandem. I am 110% sure that the old Junaid Khan is back and I will show that to my fans and critics whenever I get the chance to.

PakPassion : There’s a lot of competition in the Pakistani fast bowling ranks. Do you think you can get ahead of the competition?

Junaid Khan : I think there always has been competition in the Pakistan fast bowling department and there always will be. When I came into the Pakistan team there were many fast bowlers around and it’s the same situation now. Whether it be domestic cricket or international cricket, to succeed you have to be prepared to beat the competition and stay ahead of it. But on the other hand I’ve never really let myself worry too much about rivals for the Pakistan shirt as whoever performs will get picked by the selectors and whoever doesn’t perform will not be picked.

PakPassion : Mohammad Amir’s return to international cricket also adds to the competition and rivalry I guess?

Junaid Khan : Yes that’s true. But I see this as a positive as Amir’s return means competition for places is even tougher which is good news for Pakistan cricket. Even Sohail Tanvir, Sohail Khan, Rahat Ali, Mohammad Irfan and Wahab Riaz are around and we all are fighting for places in the Pakistan team. Nobody can take his place for granted if the bench-strength is good, as the players who are playing know they have to perform otherwise they will get replaced by someone who is just as good. The signs are good for Pakistan cricket as far as fast bowling is concerned because there is strong competition at the moment and the selectors have many choices in front of them.

PakPassion : You recently captained Pakistan A against England Lions. Is captaincy something that you enjoy or are you a reluctant captain?

Junaid Khan : I enjoy captaincy. I’ve captained in domestic cricket in all formats and I don’t think I am someone who feels any additional pressure when leading the side. I’ve played under and alongside some very experienced cricketers and learnt from them and watched how they lead the team. As a captain I think it’s imperative that you learn from others and watch how they lead the team and then take on board all the good points of various styles of leadership.

PakPassion : You are very close to Yasir Shah and have played a lot of cricket with him over the years. How do you feel about the current situation that Yasir finds himself in?

Junaid Khan : He’s been such a fantastic performer since his introduction to international cricket and he’s been performing such a key role in the team. He’s been a stand-out performer and very consistent. I just hope that things work out for him and that he can resume his playing career very soon.

PakPassion : You will be leading Pakistan A against England Lions for five 50 over matches very soon. What are your personal targets for that series?

Junaid Khan : It’s an important series for both sets of players as I’m sure all of the players will be looking to make the next step to international cricket or like myself, make a return to international cricket. England Lions will be well prepared as they’ve been in UAE for a few weeks now. The players who have been performing in domestic cricket recently have been picked by the Pakistani selectors so I think it will be a hard fought and a very close series. My personal aims are to make sure that I help Pakistan A win the series first and foremost and that I perform well and enjoy the series. Sometimes cricketers forget to enjoy their cricket but I’ve told myself that I should enjoy playing cricket and then the performances will come.

PakPassion : In a previous interview you told me that you wanted to be remembered like Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis. Do you think that is still a realistic goal?

Junaid Khan : Yes the goal is still the same. Even Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis had to make comebacks for one reason or another. Nobody has a right to be selected, it’s all about merit and performance. I’m not disheartened or feeling down, I just need to get out there and perform in domestic cricket, for Pakistan A and for any other team I represent. It was nice to be compared with Wasim Akram when I was at Lancashire when I was bowling Yorkers at the end of an innings and hopefully in future there will be more comparisons with Wasim.

As a cricketer you have ups and downs and I’ve experienced both, but I’m very positive about the future and I’m just waiting for that opportunity to play for Pakistan again and to show the watching world once again what I can do. I need to work hard, the ball is in my court and the onus is on me to perform and earn an international recall.

PakPassion : Is the World Twenty20 a tournament that you are hoping you might get the chance to play in?

Junaid Khan : It would be nice to play in that tournament but I don’t think I should look too far into the future, instead just focus on playing against England Lions in UAE and to ensure that I perform well and take lots of wickets in that series. I want to impress the selectors and show them that I’m back in form and to make sure that they cannot ignore me after some good performances.

PakPassion : Did you speak with Waqar Younis recently at the fitness camp about what you need to work on and improve upon?

Junaid Khan : It was a very good opportunity to speak with both Waqar Younis and Mushtaq Ahmed about my bowling in terms of technical and generic aspects. There were a few things suggested to me by the coaches particularly in respect of my bouncer, off-stump Yorkers and outswing. The camp gave me the chance to discuss a few things with Waqar Younis and I found it very useful.

PakPassion : The Pakistan Super League (PSL) is almost upon us. Are you excited about this tournament and also about playing for Peshawar?

Junaid Khan : I’m really excited about the PSL. It presents Pakistan cricket with a great opportunity to show the world that we can organise a major twenty over league. I would have been happy to play for any team, but as a Pathan it’s special to be playing for Peshawar.

PakPassion : And finally, do you think you look like the Spanish footballer Esteban Granero?

Junaid Khan : A lot of people say I do. Even in Sri Lanka and India people were saying to me that I look like him. I agree that I look like him. Maybe we’d look even more alike if we matched our hairstyles. In fact one of the PCB analysts said to me that I should grow my hair and that would mean we would look even more alike.
    Last edited by #GreenRoars; 18th January 2016 at 18:49.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    MASHALLAH, excellent one.

I’m bowling at about 140kph and sometimes more, the reverse-swing is there, as are the Yorkers so I’m happy with my form.

I hope he is right, btw he was economical against England Lions. But the upcoming series with England Lions will be very much important for him. Hope he performs well and make a good comeback in national squad.

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Full of potential so I hope he gets back in the team soon enough, InshAllah.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should be in the T20I WC squad.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I read the whole interview from go to finish and I have to say that Junaid, leaving aside his bowling ability, he is MashaAllah a very down to earth person; something that a lot of our cricketers can learn from. The responses were so mature, humble and positive that for a second I thought this wasn't an interview of a Pakistani cricketer. He absolutely didn't complain about his non-selection and there were no bitter comments or judgement being made.

I am now even a bigger fan of him than before. Keep working hard Junaid, you're a fantastic bowler and Inshallah would make a very grand comeback to form and Pakistan Cricket.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very rare in Pakistan that a certain players admit his mistake instead of blaming selectors for not selecting him.

He is a gun bowler and i hope he will regain his form soon when wahab and irfan wont be there he and amir have to carry the burden of our pace attack

Best of luck Junaid khan

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good attitude.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistani players are usually quick to call the selectors idiots for not selecting them but Junaid seems different and much more sensible. You do choose to be a fan of Good-natured players @Bilal7

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The good person that he is, you'd want to select him on that aspect alone. He did show good form in recent series against England lions according to scorecards. But need to see for myself whether he is really the old junaid or not.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    The good person that he is, you'd want to select him on that aspect alone. He did show good form in recent series against England lions according to scorecards. But need to see for myself whether he is really the old junaid or not.
    there was no new junaid or old junaid, he was avg at best was hpyed because trio were banned he was filling the void.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    576 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Good to see that he never once complained.

That's the type of person who can make a successful comeback.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Seems like a very humble young man. Would be nice to see him bowling like he did in India and in some Tests against SL.

And he reminds me more of David Villa than Esteban.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also his response to Amir's question was very balanced, particularly as he is the one was perhaps most effected by Amir's return.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He is such a fantastic young fast bowler who represents the next gen Pak fast bowler of today. People are hating him mainly due to his poor form from injury. Taking 70+ ODI wickets from over 50+ ODI's is actually brilliant, he can swing the ball both ways at 140kph whilst being one of the best death bowlers in the world as he has demonstrated it numerous amount of times. It would be insane to suddenly just throw him into oblivion as he is such a gem for us.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    Seems like a very humble young man. Would be nice to see him bowling like he did in India and in some Tests against SL.

And he reminds me more of David Villa than Esteban.
    Yup.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adijazz1706 View Post
    Pakistani players are usually quick to call the selectors idiots for not selecting them but Junaid seems different and much more sensible. You do choose to be a fan of Good-natured players @Bilal7
    Yes, I like nice people.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Great guy. Would invite him for some Kashmiri Chai at the Khan saab chai wala near Shara-e-Faisal.

But he has been found out as a bowler. PP Myths say that he lost his swing after a session with Wasim Akram, but it proved to be false.

I hope he finds himself again.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Right attitude.

Unfortunately, not good enough.

But good luck on his comeback efforts.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What injury he had?

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he can play the Umar Gul role in the t20 world cup. Use him strictly as a death bowler at the end of the innings starting from the 10th over.

I honestly donot trust Umar Gul in India. Last time he was at Mohali in 2011 and that his peak he was battered like no other by Sehwag and Raina.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good attitude, and I'd like to see him one more time ahead of Umar Gul. The latter is finished.

Let's see how much he has recovered.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplicitAI View Post
    He is such a fantastic young fast bowler who represents the next gen Pak fast bowler of today. People are hating him mainly due to his poor form from injury. Taking 70+ ODI wickets from over 50+ ODI's is actually brilliant, he can swing the ball both ways at 140kph whilst being one of the best death bowlers in the world as he has demonstrated it numerous amount of times. It would be insane to suddenly just throw him into oblivion as he is such a gem for us.
    Hope that's sarcasm, because he can't swing an inch. At best can get some seam movement.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The amount of garbage in his words is too damn low!!

How often you see It from a Pakistan player. Good attitude. Would love to see him back

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Hope that's sarcasm, because he can't swing an inch. At best can get some seam movement.
    People criticise him unfairly.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Doesnt have the stamina, fitness of physical attributes to be a fast bowler in longterm at international level, Also cant be depended upon if say we had to play a test with 2 spinner and 2 seamers he would be found wanting in his role as new ball bowler and someone to comeback later in inns and take wickets as well, might be a nice back up bowler to net bowler to take on tour. Pakistan better off investing time in other bowlers.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with you, some people should be on anti-depressants, but they are not. So much negativity

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very good interview. Hope he proves a lot of us wrong and makes a great comeback.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    He is a nothing bowler.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im a big fan of Junaid. Can anyone tell me what injury he had? Thx.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Voorhees View Post
    I guess he had a major ankle injury that was aggravated by the skip, hop and jump he had in his run up. He wen't for a surgery, then a very comprehensive rehab. Once he came back, albeit without any given match practice, his pace was down as he wasn't confident of trusting his full force on the landing ankle during his bowling. This reduced his pace significantly and he couldn't find any proper rhythm in his bowling.

Then when the 2015 WC was near he again injured himself right before the competition and returned during the Bangladesh series. The come back had a lot to be desired since he again wasn't part of any competitive cricket before the series began. Once the tour ended, he was dropped on poor form and ever since has played a couple of domestic seasons including A tournaments representing Pakistan A as a skipper.

At the moment he seems fit and can bowl a good spell or two. His recent exploits during the A games against the Lions are a solid testament to that and hopefully if he performs in the upcoming One Day tournament, for the A team i.e. he could be in contention for the national selection.

Technically speaking I an qualified enough to tell you exactly what his injury was, in medical terms I mean, but according to @Mamoon he might always have a niggle due to the injury he had earlier. I think its best if either @Dr_Bassim or @Mamoon broke it down for you since they are the best to better describe the latter.
    Last edited by ahmedwaqas92; 19th January 2016 at 18:01.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this hardworking and passionate guy. Was my favorite bowler from 2011-2013.
    Needs to have a good PSL and series vs England Lions to get back in the team.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Voorhees View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    I guess he had a major ankle injury that was aggravated by the skip, hop and jump he had in his run up. He wen't for a surgery, then a very comprehensive rehab. Once he came back, albeit without any given match practice, his pace was down as he wasn't confident of trusting his full force on the landing ankle during his bowling. This reduced his pace significantly and he couldn't find any proper rhythm in his bowling.

Then when the 2015 WC was near he again injured himself right before the competition and returned during the Bangladesh series. The come back had a lot to be desired since he again wasn't part of any competitive cricket before the series began. Once the tour ended, he was dropped on poor form and ever since has played a couple of domestic seasons including A tournaments representing Pakistan A as a skipper.

At the moment he seems fit and can bowl a good spell or two. His recent exploits during the A games against the Lions are a solid testament to that and hopefully if he performs in the upcoming One Day tournament, for the A team i.e. he could be in contention for the national selection.

Technically speaking I an qualified enough to tell you exactly what his injury was, in medical terms I mean, but according to @Mamoon he might always have a niggle due to the injury he had earlier. I think its best if either @Dr_Bassim or @Mamoon broke it down for you since they are the best to better describe the latter.
    There hasn't been much information regarding his injury, all that has been revealed is that he had a grade 3 osteochodral fracture in his knee with some degeneration. In simple terms, it really is a serious injury.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    National Stadium Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope he comes back to the team,in his 'Aanay-Do' series form.It would be amazing to see a fit and firing band of pacers in Irfan,Amir,Wahab and Junaid.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Finished.

When he chickened out of the SA tour the management figured out that he is mentally weak.

Can't swing it either.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Great guy. Would invite him for some Kashmiri Chai at the Khan saab chai wala near Shara-e-Faisal.

But he has been found out as a bowler. PP Myths say that he lost his swing after a session with Wasim Akram, but it proved to be false.

I hope he finds himself again.
    Mirror can be of some help here.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLORY OF '92 View Post
    Finished.

When he chickened out of the SA tour the management figured out that he is mentally weak.

Can't swing it either.
    Amir, if back to his old best, can influence others around him. He may gain from it as well.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Last Of The Stars View Post
    Mirror can be of some help here.
    thanday jutay na maar yaar.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    ISLAMABAD: Pacer Junaid Khan believes return ofMuhammad Amir to the national team means competition saying it is a good sign for Pakistan cricket as the selectors have many choices in front of them.

Junaid said I see Amir’s return as a positive sign because the competition for places in the team is getting tougher which is good news for Pakistan cricket.

“Even Sohail Tanvir, Sohail Khan, Rahat Ali, Mohammad Irfan and Wahab Riaz are around and we all are fighting for places in the Pakistan team.

Players who are playing know they have to perform otherwise they will get replaced by someone who is just as good,” Pakpassion.net quoted Junaid as saying.

Junaid said the signs are good for Pakistan cricket as far as fastbowling is concerned because there is strong competition at the moment and the selectors have many choices in front of them.

Speaking about a comeback in the national team, Junaid said even greats like Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis also had to make comebacks for one reason or another.

“Nobody has a right to be selected, it is all about merit and performance.I am not disheartened or feeling down, I just need to get out there and perform in domestic cricket, for Pakistan A and for any other team I represent,” he said.

He said as a cricketer you have ups and downs and I have experienced both. “But I am positive about the future and just waiting for that opportunity to play for Pakistan again,” he said adding he wants to show the world once again what he can do.

Talking about the Pakistan Super League (PSL) and also about playing for Peshawar in the league, he said PSL presents Pakistan cricket with a great opportunity to show the world that we can organize a major twenty over league.

“I would have been happy to play for any team, but as a Pathan it’s special to be playing for Peshawar,” he said.

http://aaj.tv/2016/01/amirs-return-m...n-junaid-khan/

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Pakistan left arm pacer Junaid Khan has attributed Mohammad Amir’s return as a challenge for him to work harder to gain his place back in the national side.

Junaid, who had a decent start to his international career, was hit by injuries which forced him out of the Pakistan team depriving him of a regular run in the side.

“Amir’s return means competition for places is even tougher which is good news for Pakistan cricket,” said Junaid in an interview to Pakpassion.net.

“Nobody can take his place for granted if the bench-strength is good, as the players who are playing know they have to perform,” he added.

Amir returned to the Pakistan side after a five-year absence and is an addition to the Pakistan roster which contains the likes of Mohammad Irfan, Wahab Riaz and Umar Gul who all are contenders to become the national side’s pace spearhead.

With these names, the Pakistan side seems to have enough quantity, as well as quality needed for a good pace attack, making it difficult for Junaid to regain his spot.

But the Swabi born pacer views it as a normal situation.

“I think there always has been competition in the Pakistan fast bowling department and there always will be,” he said.

Junaid said that only hard work and consistent performances in the domestic circuit as well as the ‘A’ team competitions will make his case stronger.

“Whether it be domestic cricket or international cricket, to succeed you have to be prepared to beat the competition and stay ahead of it,” he said.

Charged with positivity, Junaid mentioned examples from history which inspire him to keep working.

“Even Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis had to make comebacks for one reason or another,” he said.

“I’m not disheartened or feeling down, I just need to get out there and perform in domestic cricket, for Pakistan ‘A’ and for any other team I represent,” added the left-armer.

Junaid believes he is ready to make a Pakistan return and has re-equipped himself with the most lethal weapons a fast bowler should carry.

“I think I am bowling as quick as I ever have,” he said.

“I’m bowling at about 140kph and sometimes more, the reverse-swing is there, as are the Yorkers so I’m happy with my form,” added the pacer.

The 26-year-old has already bagged 71 Test wickets and 78 ODI wickets for his country since he made his international debut in April 2011.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1234016/ami...-attack-junaid

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He is a nothing bowler.
    And someone like Rahat can get the same amount of wickets as him?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    He had one bad year, every player goes through that, if he never made his debut I guarantee you would've been screaming for his inclusion in the national side.
    What I would've wanted is not important. Matter of fact is that Rahat at the moment is a better bowler than him.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What I would've wanted is not important. Matter of fact is that Rahat at the moment is a better bowler than him.
    Based on what?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Based on what?
    Based on performance since 2014.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Based on performance since 2014.
    Ok but Rahat was mediocre for far longer in addition to Junaid having a better cricketing brain. Rahat is a poor mans Sami

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Ok but Rahat was mediocre for far longer in addition to Junaid having a better cricketing brain. Rahat is a poor mans Sami
    Not sure how much of a cricketing brain Junaid has, which is not quantifiable given the small sample. Yes the Rahat Sami analogy is fair because he has the skills but doesn't know how to work out a batsman. Junaid at the moment simply doesn't possess the skills required for this level.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not sure how much of a cricketing brain Junaid has, which is not quantifiable given the small sample. Yes the Rahat Sami analogy is fair because he has the skills but doesn't know how to work out a batsman. Junaid at the moment simply doesn't possess the skills required for this level.
    What you said about Junaid in 2014 is completely true, but he was one of the best fast bowlers in 2013 who also earned the reputation as being one of the worlds best death bowlers. He's displayed last over victory performances countless amount of times

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Pakistan*fast bowler*Junaid Khan*stated that he is confident of making a comeback into the national side after having struggled to cement his place since recovering from a knee injury he sustained in October 2014.

During the One-Day International series against Australia in the United Arab Emirates in 2014, Khan twisted his knee and did not take part in the Test matches that followed.

Between his Test debut in 2011 and his knee injury in 2014, Khan played 18 Test matches and picked 65 wickets at an average of 28.83.

Khan made a comeback in the Test match against Bangladesh in April 2015 but in the four games since then he was only able to pick six wickets at 63.16 - a pale shadow of his former self.

Stating that it was disappointing to be out of the team after being one of the best bowlers for Pakistan in recent years, Khan is now confident with his current form.

“Yes, it’s disappointing as I was one of Pakistan’s leading bowlers for three to four years,” Khan told*PakPassion.net*in an exclusive interview.

“Unfortunately though, when you get injured it takes a bit of time for you to regain your rhythm, especially for a bowler.

“The best way to regain that rhythm is to play a lot of cricket and bowl lots of overs, but I’ve not had as much match practice as I would have liked.

“Having said that I feel that my form and rhythm are both coming back and I’m confident about the future."

Post-injury, Khan lacked the pace and the consistency that made him a key part of Pakistan’s attack and his last international appearance came in June 2015 against Sri Lanka in the Test series.

Admitting that his pace dropped after coming back from the injury, Khan said that it was an expected outcome as he did not want to rush his return.

However, Khan revealed that he is now able to cross the 140kph mark and is eager to prove his ability to his fans and critics.

“I agree that when I came back from injury I wasn’t bowling as quick as I used to, but that was to be expected.

“When you come back from injury, if you push yourself too much too soon, that can lead to problems.

“But now I think I am bowling as quick as I ever have.

“I’m bowling at about 140kph and sometimes more, the reverse-swing is there, as are the Yorkers so I’m happy with my form.

“I think fitness, form and confidence all work in tandem.

“You need all three to work in tandem.

“I am 110% sure that the old Junaid Khan is back and I will show that to my fans and critics whenever I get the chance to.”*

Khan captained the Pakistan A side in December 2015 against England Lions in the United Arab Emirates and lost the Twenty20 series 3-2.*

The 26-year-old is slated to lead Pakistan A against England Lions in the upcoming five-match 50-overs series which begins on 20th January.

Hoping to utilise the series against England Lions as a platform to push for his national comeback, Khan stated that his main aim is to deliver a series win for Pakistan A.

“It’s an important series for both sets of players as I’m sure all of the players will be looking to make the next step to international cricket or like myself, make a return to international cricket.

“England Lions will be well prepared as they’ve been in UAE for a few weeks now.

“The players who have been performing in domestic cricket recently have been picked by the Pakistani selectors so I think it will be a hard fought and a very close series.

“My personal aims are to make sure that I help Pakistan A win the series first and foremost and that I perform well and enjoy the series.

“Sometimes cricketers forget to enjoy their cricket but I’ve told myself that I should enjoy playing cricket and then the performances will come.”*

In the T20 series against England Lions in December, Khan picked four wickets from the five games at an average of 30.50 and a best spell of three wickets for nine runs in the fourth game

- See more at: http://www.cricketworld.com/junaid-k...3770.htm#.dpuf

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7 overs 32 runs and no wickets for Junaid Khan today. Surprised he didn't bowl himself out.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As I said, not good enough.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    The whole world knows that your best cricketing years (2012-2013) are well and truly behind you. You are still young, look for another career option.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole world knows that your best cricketing years (2012-2013) are well and truly behind you. You are still young, look for another career option.
    These are his figures in last 11 innings he has bowled

0/56 0/32 0/41 1/33 0/50 0/31 0/18 3/9 0/32 1/40 0/23 - See more at: http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...64#post8356664

With that kind of performance and the statement that he made in this interview, it shows how much faith does he have in THIS SYSTEM that he is assured that he would not stay out for very long and soon will make a comeback

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
    These are his figures in last 11 innings he has bowled

0/56 0/32 0/41 1/33 0/50 0/31 0/18 3/9 0/32 1/40 0/23 - See more at: http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...64#post8356664

With that kind of performance and the statement that he made in this interview, it shows how much faith does he have in THIS SYSTEM that he is assured that he would not stay out for very long and soon will make a comeback
    Well said. I hope the selectors have more sense and don't recall this Tried and Tested Failure.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Surrey
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wishful thinking

Nothing more than an okish bowler

Dil k behlaaney ko ghalib yeh khayal acha hai..

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to him. Barring the ODI series against India, Junaid has never been overly reliant on pace. His best spells in Test cricket have been medium pace with the occasional quick yorker/bouncer.

I'll never forget his spell against SL in the UAE where he came around the wicket to the right hander, angled the ball in and moved it away. Unplayable delivery, unique to left handers. If he can do that and hit the seam of the new ball he's a great bowler. Even his bouncers jag back in to the throat of batsmen.

Bowling low 130's for most his wickets.

Seams with new ball, if he bowls that full length it's great and then reverse with the old from back of a length. Working formula for bowling in the subcontinent.

I think a guy like Junaid would have benefitted so much by playing with someone like Asif.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Captain fantastic gets a wicket today!!! Finally breaks his duck

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wristy_Shuffler View Post
    Good luck to him. Barring the ODI series against India, Junaid has never been overly reliant on pace. His best spells in Test cricket have been medium pace with the occasional quick yorker/bouncer.

I'll never forget his spell against SL in the UAE where he came around the wicket to the right hander, angled the ball in and moved it away. Unplayable delivery, unique to left handers. If he can do that and hit the seam of the new ball he's a great bowler. Even his bouncers jag back in to the throat of batsmen.

Bowling low 130's for most his wickets.

Seams with new ball, if he bowls that full length it's great and then reverse with the old from back of a length. Working formula for bowling in the subcontinent.

I think a guy like Junaid would have benefitted so much by playing with someone like Asif.
    This was his peak years, and he is bowling at 133-139 kph max. So he was never a 145kph bowler. Occasionally crossed the 140kph mark in ODIs. Also another thing to notice most his wickets were with the old ball. His new ball deliveries never did much seam.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There used to be a huge in dipper to the left handers. With the odd one holding its line and straightening off the pitch, but no swing in the air. His seam is always vertical. Noticed this in his performance vs India and in these test matches too.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hard for Junaid to make a place in XI when we have Amir,Irfan and Wahab Riaz playing.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsalan Pro View Post
    Hard for Junaid to make a place in XI when we have Amir,Irfan and Wahab Riaz playing.
    Depends on if he can get his form from 2012-13 back. At his best he's a superior bowler to both Wahab and Irfan in ODIs and tests so should be an easy enough pick ahead of them, especially Irfan who's nearing the end of his career, if he can get back to his best. Off course actually getting there is a different story as we've seen cases in recent years of players losing form permanently (Gul comes to mind).

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Fauj ka jo yaar hay, mulk ka ghaddar hay,
    Ye jo dehshatgardi hay, is kay peechay wardi hay.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope he plays today and performs too

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was hitting 140kphs in PSL Match

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What were his figures today?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    What a sad decline.

Could he have lost his place back to Amir any faster? And now even Zia-ul-Haq looks far sharper.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 20/20, you don;t look at the figures, look at how someone is bowling. I think he looked fit, in rhythm and back to his best.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    uk
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way off the mark.
    Sessions with @Ian Pont are needed asap

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    26 years old fitter stronger Junaid Khan.

First ball 137.2 kph gayle bowled for a duck.

Second ball 140.6 kph.

Third ball 132.6 kph.

Fourth ball 136.4 kph.

Fifth ball 135.5 kph.

Sixth ball 140.2 kph.

Wicket Maiden.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post

Second ball 140.6 kph.

Third ball 132.6 kph.

Fourth ball 136.4 kph.

Fifth ball 135.5 kph.

Sixth ball 140.2 kph.

Wicket Maiden.
    Yes one over should override the terrible series he had against England Lions, in which he was even dropped for a match

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricfan14 View Post
    Yes one over should override the terrible series he had against England Lions, in which he was even dropped for a match
    Past is history.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Past is history.
    From the looks of it and speaking of physique and match fitness Junaid clearly looks way better than what I saw of him last time. His stint against the lions wasn't that productive, in numbers I mean, but speaking strictly on things such as pace, run-up, bowling stride etc etc he looks a much better prospect that Irfan and Riaz to be honest.

Pre-Injury Junaid was a beast and Riaz at that point couldn't even break into the XI. If he even somehow manages to get to 80% of that form, I would certainly take him up in the playing XI in a heartbeat. An inform junaid bowling along side with Amir and Asif on a wet English..... What a sight !!!!

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    From the looks of it and speaking of physique and match fitness Junaid clearly looks way better than what I saw of him last time. His stint against the lions wasn't that productive, in numbers I mean, but speaking strictly on things such as pace, run-up, bowling stride etc etc he looks a much better prospect that Irfan and Riaz to be honest.

Pre-Injury Junaid was a beast and Riaz at that point couldn't even break into the XI. If he even somehow manages to get to 80% of that form, I would certainly take him up in the playing XI in a heartbeat. An inform junaid bowling along side with Amir and Asif on a wet English..... What a sight !!!!
    You are spot On I agree.

Junaid must be selected.

Would pick wahab aswell because he brings his A game in major tournaments plus he is paciest of the lot.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Wahab has been a disappointment. If you look at the number of games he has played in a calendar year. It looks as if he has been overused and overbowled. The guy needs a break, he is a very good bowler.

Its almost similar to the decline Junaid faced after being part of the team consistently, than Wahab came along and took his place. Time for Wahab to be given a rest..

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The ball to Chris Gayle reminded me of the ball he bowled to Sanga in a Test match some years ago, came in sharply.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gets the big fish KP...!!

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DW44 View Post
    Depends on if he can get his form from 2012-13 back. At his best he's a superior bowler to both Wahab and Irfan in ODIs and tests so should be an easy enough pick ahead of them, especially Irfan who's nearing the end of his career, if he can get back to his best. Off course actually getting there is a different story as we've seen cases in recent years of players losing form permanently (Gul comes to mind).

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani Pace View Post
    He was hitting 140kphs in PSL Match
    Quote Originally Posted by Pace90 View Post
    In 20/20, you don;t look at the figures, look at how someone is bowling. I think he looked fit, in rhythm and back to his best.

Second ball 140.6 kph.

Third ball 132.6 kph.

Fourth ball 136.4 kph.

Fifth ball 135.5 kph.

Sixth ball 140.2 kph.

Wicket Maiden.

Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    The ball to Chris Gayle reminded me of the ball he bowled to Sanga in a Test match some years ago, came in sharply.
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    Gets the big fish KP...!!

Junaid Khan ? Who are you ?

Whether you improve your fitness or speeds we don't care. Yes you clocked 140+ 7 to 8 times , your fastest ball in PSL was 143.3 kph ? You seamed back the delivery to dismiss gayle for a duck first time after 144 innings. You got KP wicket. Your yorkers , slower bowls & slower bouncers were working. You last bowled for Pakistan medium fast speeds now you bowled fast medium in PSL.

O Junaid comeon KP & Gayle's wickets were just fluke and so we're the speeds and variations. You are not good enough.

It's Irfan the coach and captain wants. The giant Irfan who in 3rd odi & 1st T20 in PSL was hitting 124 to 132 kph speeds. The 7 foot 1 inch tall who gets so much bounce. Fitness ? Huffing & puffing ? What's that ? Line & length ? Rhythm ? Biomechanics of action ? Speed ? Whats that Man ? Does that count ?

Waqar wants you. Waqar demanded the selectors to select you.

Junaid Khan take a rest. You aren't good enough. Mohammad Irfan the giant is better than you.

You aren't good enough for captain Afridi, coach Waqar , chief selector Haroon & Co selectors.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Strange PSL for him.

Looked back in form at times and bowling at a lively pace, but then struggled also at times, eventually leading to him being dropped for the latter Zalmi games.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Junaid Khan ? Who are you ?

Whether you improve your fitness or speeds we don't care. Yes you clocked 140+ 7 to 8 times , your fastest ball in PSL was 143.3 kph ? You seamed back the delivery to dismiss gayle for a duck first time after 144 innings. You got KP wicket. Your yorkers , slower bowls & slower bouncers were working. You last bowled for Pakistan medium fast speeds now you bowled fast medium in PSL.

O Junaid comeon KP & Gayle's wickets were just fluke and so we're the speeds and variations. You are not good enough.

It's Irfan the coach and captain wants. The giant Irfan who in 3rd odi & 1st T20 in PSL was hitting 124 to 132 kph speeds. The 7 foot 1 inch tall who gets so much bounce. Fitness ? Huffing & puffing ? What's that ? Line & length ? Rhythm ? Biomechanics of action ? Speed ? Whats that Man ? Does that count ?

Waqar wants you. Waqar demanded the selectors to select you.

Junaid Khan take a rest. You aren't good enough. Mohammad Irfan the giant is better than you.

You aren't good enough for captain Afridi, coach Waqar , chief selector Haroon & Co selectors.
    All this doesn't matter. Irfan is a superb fielder and clearly rates him, as everytime he comes on to bowl Rambo starts going on about his height, 'bounce' etc, although thankfully Rambo has stopped those strange 'Pipe factory' anecdotes.

Seriously though, why drop JK when he was looking great, as if he had finally completed his recovery. He was bowling like the old JK, picking up big wickets and showing great intelligence and accuracy. Brainless on Afridi's part, just like his treatment of Yamin. Hope to see him make the cut In sha Allah as there is still time for squad updates.
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 26th February 2016 at 22:59.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    774 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Strange PSL for him.

Looked back in form at times and bowling at a lively pace, but then struggled also at times, eventually leading to him being dropped for the latter Zalmi games.
    I heard that he had a serious injury and a couple of posters mentioned that he would never fully recover. Might explain his inconsistent run in PSL.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    India vs Pak, Dec 2013, Juniad looked pretty good,