May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kohli is the worst slogger among them imo,has no idea how to slog at all.Root ,Smith are better in that department.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transitional View Post
    If this was only test match debate, then I will say Root. Kohli had stellar 2016, but he needs to "win" more tests. Yes, he has 100s in RSA, NZ, Aus, but all in losses or draws.
    That's the same for Root. Most of his 100s away from home have come in draws or losses.

Kohli - centuries in wins away from home.
    200 vs WI in Antigua

Root - centuries in wins away from home.
    182* vs WI in St'George
    110 vs SA in J'burg

Smith is the best test player of the three but the worst LOI player.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So its been established that all of these guys did not have a purple patch or something but are rather terrific players. All three among the runs all the time. Smith is by far the best Test player, followed by Root, KW and then VK.

As for ODI's, its Virat Kohli all the way followed by Root and then Smith & KW.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    So its been established that all of these guys did not have a purple patch or something but are rather terrific players. All three among the runs all the time. Smith is by far the best Test player, followed by Root, KW and then VK.

Don't put smith and Williamson in the same league in ODIs. Smith is only behind Kohli in ODIs and unlike Kohli he has been an absolute beast in World Cup knockout games

Kuch to log kahenge
    Logon ka kaam hai kehna

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    Don't put smith and Williamson in the same league in ODIs. Smith is only behind Kohli in ODIs and unlike Kohli he has been an absolute beast in World Cup knockout games
    True. KW hasn't really proven to be that good in ODI's, which is why he is last in ODI's. However, I'd have Root before Smith. Root is always among the runs. He just had a terrific tour of West Indies and has a lot of hundreds too. But Kohli is easily better than all of them when it comes to LOI's. Lets see who leads the contest in the future.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Nah.

It's Smith and Kohli, the other two have proven to be below those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    Nah.

Bit harsh on Root, think he has a very strong claim at being the 2nd best of the 4 in all 3 formats.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Bit harsh on Root, think he has a very strong claim at being the 2nd best of the 4 in all 3 formats.
    Smith is far stronger in Tests and I'd take him over Root in ODi's. How is it even debatable who second is?

Only Kohli is ahead and that's because he's T20 GOAT and on his way to being ODI GOAT.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Smith is far stronger in Tests and I'd take him over Root in ODi's. How is it even debatable who second is?

Only Kohli is ahead and that's because he's T20 GOAT and on his way to being ODI GOAT.
    Was referring to each individual format on its own. Smith being ahead of Root in ODIs is fairly debatable.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah.

I disagree. It's Root for me. Just look at his average. Almost 50. And he's always played clutch knocks, so has Smith but Root has carried his ODI batting unit forward.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    I disagree. It's Root for me. Just look at his average. Almost 50. And he's always played clutch knocks, so has Smith but Root has carried his ODI batting unit forward.
    Smith's WC record in the finals trumps anything Root has done in JAMODI's.

I have Kohli ahead because of the skill he has shown in the format and his ability to win games alone.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kohli is T20 GOAT?! LOL. Yeah, he's really good but are you serious?! He just had one good year. He doesn't even have a 100 in T20i's LOL. And the one good year he did have is severely overhyped because of his IPL hundreds. He isn't even Twenty20 or IPL GOAT, let alone T20i GOAT.

God, are you delusional..

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Kohli is T20 GOAT?! LOL. Yeah, he's really good but are you serious?! He just had one good year. He doesn't even have a 100 in T20i's LOL. And the one good year he did have is severely overhyped because of his IPL hundreds. He isn't even Twenty20 or IPL GOAT, let alone T20i GOAT.

Who else is there? Gayle?

Smith and Root's numbers in ODI's are quite similar despite Smith playing a lot of games as a A/R early on in his career.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kohli in limited overs

Smith in Tests

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who else is there? Gayle?

Smith and Root's numbers in ODI's are quite similar despite Smith playing a lot of games as a A/R early on in his career.
    Gayle is leagues, in fact lightyears ahead of him when it comes to Twenty20 and so is Brendon McCullum. As for T20i's, both Gayle and Brendon are still ahead of him. Kohli, as of now, falls in the Finch, Maxwell, etc category. To become a T20i ATG, he really needs a couple of hundreds and lots of sixes, if not anything more.

He is undeniably a future GOAT for ODI's though.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Gayle is leagues, in fact lightyears ahead of him when it comes to Twenty20 and so is Brendon McCullum. As for T20i's, both Gayle and Brendon are still ahead of him. Kohli, as of now, falls in the Finch, Maxwell, etc category. To become a T20i ATG, he really needs a couple of hundreds and lots of sixes, if not anything more.

He is undeniably a future GOAT for ODI's though.
    I wouldn't rate McCullum ahead of him.

If you're including domestic T20's, Gayle is the GOAT.

T20I's, I personally have Kohli ahead of both.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    In LOIs, Williamson is the weakest of the lot, but it will be interesting to see where each stands across all three formats after 10 years. However, as I said before, there is no point in discussing the credentials of The Big Four on series-by-series basis, because it leads to knee-jerk reactions.

Smith was supposed to be a FTB after he failed on green-tops in the 2015 Ashes, now he is the best in the world by far; Kohli was supposed to be an average Test batsman, but then 2016 happened; Root was supposed to fail outside England, but he scored a high class hundred in South Africa and was England's best batsman in India, and God knows how many runs he would have piled up if he was facing the pies of Moeen, Rashid and Ansari like Kohli, instead of facing Ashwin and Jadeja. His main issue so far has been his conversion rate, but he is good enough to deal with any bowling in any conditions, and he will score a lot of hundreds in the future.

In LOIs, Kohl is a certified ATG, so it will be almost impossible for Smith or Root to catch him, while Smith is a certified ATG in Tests but Kohli and Root will get there in the future as well. As far Smith vs Root in LOIs is concerned, it depends on how Root does in the upcoming Champions Trophy and World Cup at home. If dominates with the bat, he will surpass Smith in LOIs, because he is already well ahead in T20Is.

Williamson has the class to match them in Tests, but in LOIs, he is the second coming of Amla.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One good year? He was man of the tournament in 2014 too (as well as 2016). He's the T20I GOAT.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kohli is a certified goat in t20. but in odi he is quiet overrated. he wasas poor in world cups.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of these guys will come close to Virat in LOI's . Smith second in ODIs and Joe root in T20s .
    Smith definitely a notch above the rest in Tests followed by Root/Virat and Williamson in that order .

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are underrating smith in ODIs , yes Root has a better game for the format but at thisp point for any opposition Smith would be a more prized wicket than Root .

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith > Kohli> Root>Kane

As per now, this is the order.Root plays for England and hence he will play lots of tests(he is just 25) and even though his conversion rate is poor, he will end up with 30 hundreds unless he regresses.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1088 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Smith > Kohli> Root>Kane

As per now, this is the order.Root plays for England and hence he will play lots of tests(he is just 25) and even though his conversion rate is poor, he will end up with 30 hundreds unless he regresses.
    No right now it's

Smith>Root>Kohli=Kane

Kohli has surpassed Kane for me from WI away series to Eng home series but this current poor series along with Kane's return to form means both are equal again for me

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Man, KW is so underrated. Even PP has smileys: , but no KW.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Man, KW is so underrated. Even PP has smileys: , but no KW.
    May be because KW hardly smiles!

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jusarrived View Post
    you are underrating smith in ODIs , yes Root has a better game for the format but at thisp point for any opposition Smith would be a more prized wicket than Root .
    True. I can't disagree there. Root is ahead statistically and has some great knocks but Smith would be the more prized wicket. But then again, for ODI's, an even more prized wicket would be Warner even though Smith is better than him as we all know. So you see, I was comparing them on the basis of statistics and clutch knocks.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What a counterattacking gem from the prince of batting

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-...h/1031439.html

Root is a class and half above the rest.

Wish a Pakistani player could bat like that

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    To OP: yep, I'd choose Joe Root for Pak XI any day!

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current Standings IMO:

1) Smith
    2) Root
    3) Williamson
    4) Kohli

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kohli is king of this era. best batsman in the world. root smith and wiliamson are below him but they are on the same level.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Still Smith for tests, can't believe how good this guy is, especially around 5 years ago this guy was termed a slogger. Never seen a batsman improve so much.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    725 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    in tests root n smith are top two. Kohli is most susceptible in tests has proven himself on bouncy tracks and turners now but has a poor record on seaming tracks and swinging conditions.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming in at 3/2 on a tough pitch and playing so freely,root is such high class player

He makes feels that he bats on different pitch altogether

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith, Root and Kohli all three will end up a notch higher than Williamson taking all major yardsticks into consideration.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Smith is ahead for now. Root needs to improve his conversion rate. But even in difficult conditions at times he's looked a class apart from his team mates and scores at a good strike rate. He'll come good in this area eventually.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big fan of Williamson, he is a class act. However, I feel in the long run his credentials will suffer as a result of playing for New Zealand. New Zealand have improved considerably in recent years, but is still the weakest team among the ones the other three play for. It is unlikely Williamson will get to play in as many knockout games in big ICC tournaments because of this reason, where one is really able to prove himself as an ATG. Recent example of this was the Champions Trophy, Williamson looked in amazing form but his team failed to progress past the preliminary round, hence, his performances were largely looked over.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Williamson just scored two hundreds against SA in last series albeit he was rubbish for a while before that. Kohli was trash last series but prior to that he had two godly home series. Not sure who is better.

Smith > Root >> Kohli = Ken.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    All four are top tier batsmen, suggesting one is better than the other makes no sense, has anyone watched all innings by all players?.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virat for me. He is too good atm, second would be smith

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith >>>>>> others in test
    Kohli >>>>>>> others in ODIs

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I rate test innings at top so my rating will be:

Smith
    Williamson
    Root
    Kohli

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests