Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Root. Consistent over all three formats and is an unstoppable player once he's in.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    I follow RCB scores on cricinfo and ABD keeps outshining Kohli.

A microcosm showing that the established guard of great batsmen - Amla, AB, Younis and Cook - are a level ahead of the new prodigies on the scene; Kane, Root, Smith and Kohli. This is only true for the test format, in ODIS, only the South Africans are ahead.
    Kohli is better than amla in LOI, tests amla is ahead.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    Your assessment would be true even if he outshone ABD in every format :wink

But I agree, ABD is ahead, Kohli will reach there. Best part is Kohli will be more consistent than ABD as his cricket is more risk free
    It's good though that you accept that de Villiers is the better batsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Kohli is better than amla in LOI, tests amla is ahead.
    I don't like grouping formats together and in my opinion, Amla had been ahead of Kohli, in ODIs too. In tests, there is no comparison between the two.
    Last edited by Ankit007; 28th April 2016 at 03:18.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Cairo, Egypt
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tests/ODIs combo is most important for me therefore, Williamson.

If I were to consider Tests/ODIs/T20Is, then probably Root.

Tests: 1. Williamson 2. Smith/Root 3. Kohli

ODIs: 1. Kohli/Williamson 2. Root/Smith (Note: ABDV is better than all of them in ODIs)

T20Is: 1. Kohli 2. Root 3. Williamson/Smith

Note: I am not just basing this on their overall stats up till this point but rather looking at their stats based on when they started performing at the highest level.

I could have also put Smith at 1 in Tests, however, I find it unlikely that he can maintain such unbelievable stats given his inferior technique.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli hands down for LOI
    Root for tests

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    South Africans are better in tests because there is no ICC championship for Tests(And there will never be). As soon as there is a championship , South Africans just surrender .
    They have to go a long way in terms of mental toughness.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    King Kohli would be my choice hands down.

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    We haven't seen the best of Kohli yet in Tests, I feel he will finish the best of the lot and by a big distance.

He's the only one of the 4 who screams superstar when he bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I don't like grouping formats together and in my opinion, Amla had been ahead of Kohli, in ODIs too. In tests, there is no comparison between the two.
    Saying it over and over again isn't going to make it true.

If you truly do believe it, I suggest you create a thread and see for yourself what the majority think.

Kohli is a top 4 all time ODI bat now and will probably finish the best ever by the time his career is over.

I know we should respect one another's opinions, but this simply reeks of bias.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Delhi, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kohli for his passion and hardwork.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looool in LOI kohli is ahead of amla, when the field is back amla slows down whilst kohli is able to find the gaps nd not to mention kohlis ability to handle pressure better than amla. Yes amla is ahead in tests but kohli has more than enough time to surpass amla.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Every bowler fears bowling to Kohli

Self belief and hard work will always earn you success - Kohli
    What we think we become - Buddha

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraful_Rox View Post
    Every bowler fears bowling to Kohli
    Except maybe Jimmy Anderson .

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    We haven't seen the best of Kohli yet in Tests, I feel he will finish the best of the lot and by a big distance.

He's the only one of the 4 who screams superstar when he bats.
    I'll wait before making judgements in Tests. Kohli hasn't demonstrated his temperament for scoring mammoth scores in Tests till now although he scores hundreds regularly. But as far as LOIs are concerned, he seems to be in a league of his own. Whether it's technique or shot placement or playing under pressure or class, he seems to be the complete package. He has managed to crack the LOI game like no one has, minimizing risks in his game as much as possible and playing percentage shots, while having the ability to go through gears if needed too. He builds his innings with minimum risks till he gets to 50 or 60 and then starts to ramp up his innings finishing it at a great strike rate in the end. He is almost becoming the batting equivalent of McGrath in LOIs, who was a metronome of a bowler with minimum forced or unforced errors in his bowling. Like Alan Wilkins said, Kohli appears to have a gps system regarding the position of each fielder in his mind just like McGrath seemed to have a computer generated pitch map in his brain.

Though I have to disagree with the 2nd part of your post. I think Root will be his prime competitor in all formats in the future. He has class, great consistency in the longer format, and has improved his LOI game in a huge manner. I'm a huge fan of both Smith and Williamson in Tests but I'm just not convinced that Smith can be the best player in all formats due to his unorthodox technique. Both Smith and Williamson don't seem to have the ability to match the former two in T20Is. Williamson is extremely good in Tests but looks like an improved version of Rahane in T20s. Although these two can surprise us too. In any case, it's brilliant to have these four young blessed batsmen playing at the same time in cricket. It's almost like when we had 4 ATG all rounders playing at the same time in 80s in Imran, Hadlee, Kapil and Botham.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    I'll wait before making judgements in Tests. Kohli hasn't demonstrated his temperament for scoring mammoth scores in Tests till now although he scores hundreds regularly. But as far as LOIs are concerned, he seems to be in a league of his own. Whether it's technique or shot placement or playing under pressure or class, he seems to be the complete package. He has managed to crack the LOI game like no one has, minimizing risks in his game as much as possible and playing percentage shots, while having the ability to go through gears if needed too. He builds his innings with minimum risks till he gets to 50 or 60 and then starts to ramp up his innings finishing it at a great strike rate in the end. He is almost becoming the batting equivalent of McGrath in LOIs, who was a metronome of a bowler with minimum forced or unforced errors in his bowling. Like Alan Wilkins said, Kohli appears to have a gps system regarding the position of each fielder in his mind just like McGrath seemed to have a computer generated pitch map in his brain.

Though I have to disagree with the 2nd part of your post. I think Root will be his prime competitor in all formats in the future. He has class, great consistency in the longer format, and has improved his LOI game in a huge manner. I'm a huge fan of both Smith and Williamson in Tests but I'm just not convinced that Smith can be the best player in all formats due to his unorthodox technique. Both Smith and Williamson don't seem to have the ability to match the former two in T20Is. Williamson is extremely good in Tests but looks like an improved version of Rahane in T20s. Although these two can surprise us too. In any case, it's brilliant to have these four young blessed batsmen playing at the same time in cricket. It's almost like when we had 4 ATG all rounders playing at the same time in 80s in Imran, Hadlee, Kapil and Botham.
    Everyone says smith technique will get found out, I understand why they say that but technique is not always about having textbook techniques. It's about having a technique which u are comfertable with and that allows u to score runs. This is what smith technique allows him to do.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Everyone says smith technique will get found out, I understand why they say that but technique is not always about having textbook techniques. It's about having a technique which u are comfertable with and that allows u to score runs. This is what smith technique allows him to do.
    No, I'm not saying his technique will get found out. He has managed to work out whatever technique comes best to him and there have been players in history who didn't necessarily have the textbook technique but still went on to succeed like Graeme Smith, Steve Waugh, etc. Like I said, I admire his consistency greatly and I rate him as the best test batsman in the world at the moment. I just don't think he will be the best player in the world across all the formats (including ODIs and T20s) while I feel Root and Kohli have the ability to do so.
    Last edited by street cricketer; 25th April 2016 at 14:54.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    No, I'm not saying his technique will get found out. He has managed to work out whatever technique comes best to him and there have been players in history who didn't necessarily have the textbook technique but still went on to succeed like Graeme Smith, Steve Waugh, etc. Like I said, I admire his consistency greatly and I rate him as the best test batsman in the world at the moment. I just don't think he will be the best player in the world across all the formats (including ODIs and T20s) while I feel Root and Kohli have the ability to do so.
    He can be the best in Odis and tests but not in t20s I think.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli is in leagues of his own in LOIs. No doubts on that. In tests, all four have a long way to go. They will have their ups and downs and the opinions may keep varying from one to another as they have to face different challenges and cope with them.As of now, its Smith simply because his numbers are insane and has great numbers almost everywhere.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Smith showing he can do the business in t20

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I follow RCB scores on cricinfo and ABD keeps outshining Kohli.
    I hope you are still following RCB scores, Kohli has left de Villiers in his dust.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I hope you are still following RCB scores, Kohli has left de Villiers in his dust.
    Loool he thinks amla is better than kohli in odis

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This IPL Kohli is highest run-getter with a good margin above second placed.
    So at this moment , Kohli is performing better than ABDV and Kane(who is not even in same zipcode based on IPL performances).

Off course , this can change with another series/tournament.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all mentioned players still got LONG way to go and need to prove alot of things.

Kohli to improve avg of 13 in England
    to improve avg of 15 in West Indies
    which is he quite capable of

Kane :
    Avg of 30 in England
    avg of 36 in India
    Avg of 10 in SA (2 tests though)

Smith :
    Avg of 34 in UAE
    Yet to Play a bit more In India

Root :
    Avg of 27 in Australia
    Yet to play more in india
    avg of 17 in New Zealand
    I think he is Yet to Play in Sri Lanka

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Williamson is a fine player but he is becoming Amla II in Limited Overs.

Great stats but little substance. Doesn't impact the outcome of the match much and bottles under pressure. These days, if Guptill doesn't fire, NZ generally lose. He is their MVP in Limited Overs.

Smith has a brilliant Test record, but I think overall, he is an inferior batsman to Kohli and Root, who are the top 2 in my view. I personally like Root more.

Mathews deserves to be mentioned alongside these names as well. He is a fantastic batsman who is only entering his peak years now.

As far as de Kock is concerned, he's going to reach this level as well. Only a matter of time before he fires regularly in Tests.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    MashaAllah Kane Williamson now has Entered the 50 Runs Averaging Club.

Averages 50.48 now with 14 Test Hundreds in 49 Test Matches.

Quality Batsman.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    10 centuries now Away from Home by Williamson at an Average of almost 48.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kohli is the best hands down, Smith can't play spin. Smith what has happened to him?

Self belief and hard work will always earn you success - Kohli
    What we think we become - Buddha

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All four in the line up would be amazing.

3. Williamson
    4. Root
    5. Kohli
    6. Smith

That's scary.

Nothing

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    786 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Root Kohli Williamson Smith in the specified order.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asim2Good View Post
    all mentioned players still got LONG way to go and need to prove alot of things.

Kohli to improve avg of 13 in England
    to improve avg of 15 in West Indies
    which is he quite capable of

Kane :
    Avg of 30 in England
    avg of 36 in India
    Avg of 10 in SA (2 tests though)

Smith :
    Avg of 34 in UAE
    Yet to Play a bit more In India

Root :
    Avg of 27 in Australia
    Yet to play more in india
    avg of 17 in New Zealand
    I think he is Yet to Play in Sri Lanka
    Kohli averages 45 in WI now.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Kane Williamson is the best test batsman from the new generation. He is actually the real technique and not that fake technique Shafiq.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    And Smith is the most overrated from this lot. He is as big a FTB as Warner.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherface58 View Post
    Root Kohli Williamson Smith in the specified order.
    I would put Kane ahead of Kohli in tests.

Root
    Williamson
    Kohli
    Smith

In that order.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    In your head
    Runs
    Mentioned
    467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    A couple of the other might be more dominant at times. However In all conditions against all types of bowlers i would have Williamson any day.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    And Smith is the most overrated from this lot. He is as big a FTB as Warner.
    Smith is not as good as Root or Williamson, but he's a world class batsman nonetheless and far from a FTB.

Agree on Warner.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In tests it's Root then a tie between Williamson and Kohli. Smith is fourth.

In LOIs Kohli is without a doubt the best.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amla despite having a horrid year 2015 is still one of the best in business.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disagree with most of you.

In tests, I would still put Kohli behind Smith. Very small margin between all 4 though. And a couple of good series could change the ranking.

It's
    Root
    Williamson
    Smith
    Kohli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Bhubaneswar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of the four we are talking about 3 are the Nos 1,2 and 3 in ICC ranking and the 4th(Kohli) is not even in the top 10.

It's been a while since we have had anyone on the best batsmen listings.

It looks like Kohli may just have turned the corner on his test career but will really have to wait till he gets back to where he first lost the shine in order to judge where he stands. That is way off in the future though. Meanwhile, the ICC ranking isn't bad, though I might put Root ahead of Smith at the moment.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaraj!! View Post
    Out of the four we are talking about 3 are the Nos 1,2 and 3 in ICC ranking and the 4th(Kohli) is not even in the top 10.

It looks like Kohli may just have turned the corner on his test career but will really have to wait till he gets back to where he first lost the shine in order to judge where he stands. That is way off in the future though. Meanwhile, the ICC ranking isn't bad, though I might put Root ahead of Smith at the moment.
    Captaincy has done wonders for him. He is confident/mature and Insha'Allah will score 10k+ for India in tests.

Although Root is the best bat in test cricket. Kohli, being a fighter he is, might take over him some day tho.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Kohli, Root and Smith not fall off drastically they will all cross 10k cause they play a lot of big test match series (4/5 match series). Cook for example is the only non 50 averaging batsman in the 10k club.

KW too should make it.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaraj!! View Post

Kohli/Rahane are on 13/11. If they have a few more good innings in this series they should enter it.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Root in all 3

Sent from my H30-U10 using Tapatalk

May your choices reflect your hope not your fears.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virat kohli. It's not even close.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Smith is not as good as Root or Williamson, but he's a world class batsman nonetheless and far from a FTB.

Agree on Warner.
    Failed in the UAE and failed in Sri Lanka too. Smith has always scored when the track is flat and someone else has also scored big from Australia.

There is nothing much to separate Smith and Warner. Both are mediocre on tracks with any assistance for bowlers. However, on bouncy or flat tracks they will the most destructive batsmen in the world.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_ View Post
    Virat kohli. It's not even close.
    Root and Kane are several levels above Kohli in tests and that is not even a contest. Even Amla is a better test player. Kohli has a lot of work to do in tests to be considered an elite test batsman.

In ODIs and T20s, he is by far the greatest of all.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Williamson and Amla are 2 most underrated players as they dont play for big 3 and hence even in the current world XI compiled by Warne and co, Smith,root and kohli were included and not kane or amla.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Williamson and Amla are 2 most underrated players as they dont play for big 3 and hence even in the current world XI compiled by Warne and co, Smith,root and kohli were included and not kane or amla.
    Atherton and Ramiz were pushing for Kane to be included in some way.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    It's shocking how good Amla has been on all type of wickets, every country.

Most underrated bat of any era.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Cairo, Egypt
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tests:

1. Williamson
    2. Smith
    3. Root
    4. Kohli

ODIs:

1. Kohli
    2. Williamson
    3. Root
    4. Smith

T20Is:

1. Kohli
    2. Root
    3. Williamson
    4. Smith

Overall, Williamson is currently the best according to me, as I prioritise formats in the order of Tests, ODIs and T20Is.

The other three are fairly close taking all formats into consideration, and I expect Root and Smith's LOI numbers to improve a fair bit over time, similarly to Kohli's Test numbers.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Amla is one underrated test player, scored runs everywhere. Has the most balanced records of all current test batsmen.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1033 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad10 View Post
    Tests:

1. Williamson
    2. Smith
    3. Root
    4. Kohli

ODIs:

1. Kohli
    2. Williamson
    3. Root
    4. Smith

T20Is:

1. Kohli
    2. Root
    3. Williamson
    4. Smith

Overall, Williamson is currently the best according to me, as I prioritise formats in the order of Tests, ODIs and T20Is.

The other three are fairly close taking all formats into consideration, and I expect Root and Smith's LOI numbers to improve a fair bit over time, similarly to Kohli's Test numbers.
    I agree with this. KW is very underrated, he is batter batsman than the other 3 and is more consistent. Root comes second and Smith/Kohli are about the same. I don't think Smith is better than Kohli at the moment. Root and KW are in tests.

In T20's there is no comparison, Kohli - Daylight - KW - Root - Smith

So I would agree that KW is the best of the lot combining the format. Root and Kohli aren't far behind though when we combine the format. Kohli is so far ahead in T20's that it is not even funny.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As of today the overall ranking for me is

Root
    Kohli
    Smith
    Williamson

All 4 can improve in subcontinent. Whilst root needs to improve in Australia and New Zealand. Williamson in south Africa. Smith in England although he has a decent record there. Kohli in England.

Will be brilliant to watch these 4 for the next decade. In LO it's obvious world cup stats will matter and clutch knocks in bilaterals series. Long way to go before we say who is the best.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kohli has made massive strides in the test format after being behind for a long time among the four while Williamson has been a bit off colour for sometime.

Root and Kohli leading the race across all formats now.

Most runs in 2016 in all formats (Tests/ODIs/T20Is)
    2422* Virat Kohli, ave 86.50
    2399 J Root, ave 49.97
    2186 D Warner, ave 46.51
    2048 S Smith, ave 47.62
    1695 Williamson, ave 43.46
    1675 De Kock, ave 54.03
    1567 Bairstow, ave 54.03

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Tests
    Smith
    Kohli
    Root
    QdK

ODI's
    Kohli
    QdK
    Daylight
    Root
    Smith

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    I agree with this. KW is very underrated, he is batter batsman than the other 3 and is more consistent. Root comes second and Smith/Kohli are about the same. I don't think Smith is better than Kohli at the moment. Root and KW are in tests.

In T20's there is no comparison, Kohli - Daylight - KW - Root - Smith

So I would agree that KW is the best of the lot combining the format. Root and Kohli aren't far behind though when we combine the format. Kohli is so far ahead in T20's that it is not even funny.
    Kane is overrated.

Fails against good attacks and on difficult wickets, in the shorter formats he can be a liability. He has messed up plenty a chase with his text book perfect blocks.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Williamson is a fine player but he is becoming Amla II in Limited Overs.

Great stats but little substance. Doesn't impact the outcome of the match much and bottles under pressure. These days, if Guptill doesn't fire, NZ generally lose. He is their MVP in Limited Overs.

Smith has a brilliant Test record, but I think overall, he is an inferior batsman to Kohli and Root, who are the top 2 in my view. I personally like Root more.

Mathews deserves to be mentioned alongside these names as well. He is a fantastic batsman who is only entering his peak years now.

As far as de Kock is concerned, he's going to reach this level as well. Only a matter of time before he fires regularly in Tests.
    Just read this post. Pretty much what you posted was spot on, especially about Williamson being Amla-2.

But don't agree with Smith part though. I believe he is better than Kohli and Root in tests at least for the time being. When you meant that word "overall", did you include LOIs or you mean Kohli and Root will outshine him in the future? If it's the former, I would agree.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In the last three years with Tests, ODI's and T20's combined.

JE Root
    Home inns 62 ave 56 hundreds 9
    Away inns 57 ave 46 hundreds 7
    Neutral inns 22 ave 44 hundreds 1

D Warner
    Home inns 55 ave 56 hundreds 13
    Away inns 55 ave 45 hundreds 6
    Neutral inns 17 ave 40 hundreds 2

S Smith
    Home inns 52 ave 73 hundreds 13
    Away inns 54 ave 48 hundreds 7
    Neutral inns 17 ave 46 hundreds 1

V Kohli
    Home inns 44 ave 70 hundreds 6
    Away inns 65 ave 53 hundreds 12
    Neutral inns 19 ave 54 hundreds 1

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post

JE Root

D Warner

S Smith

V Kohli
    Warner would be a part of the fab 4 if he was a few years younger.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post

JE Root

D Warner

S Smith

V Kohli
    What about Williamson?
    Last edited by Haroon786; 10th December 2016 at 11:18.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1088 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Failed in the UAE and failed in Sri Lanka too. Smith has always scored when the track is flat and someone else has also scored big from Australia.

There is nothing much to separate Smith and Warner. Both are mediocre on tracks with any assistance for bowlers. However, on bouncy or flat tracks they will the most destructive batsmen in the world.
    Smith failed in UAE?

Warner did OK too

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    Just read this post. Pretty much what you posted was spot on, especially about Williamson being Amla-2.

But don't agree with Smith part though. I believe he is better than Kohli and Root in tests at least for the time being. When you meant that word "overall", did you include LOIs or you mean Kohli and Root will outshine him in the future? If it's the former, I would agree.
    Smith is a non-entity at the moment in T20Is. Kohli is exceptional and Root is very good too. Overall, considering all formats, they are better than Smith.

Kohli has improved his concentration level in Test cricket and has eliminated those soft dismissals from his game. That however, is still a problem for Root but he is too good not to overcome it eventually.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kohli,Kohli, and Kohli again. Root is close though. Smith is a little way off. Williamson is a league behind all 3.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Smith is a bit better than all of them in Tests and Odi. His 48 not out against SA was very gritty and changed my mind on him and also his honest post match presentation after the losses. He might not be technically elegant but he will make it up for it with sheer determination and hard work.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is something unique about Kohli, there hasn't been a player like him in the history of game. He does remind me of Ronaldo, where as Root is more natural somewhat like Messi.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli if you are not mentioning any format in particular.

Avgs 50 or more in all formats.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    There is something unique about Kohli, there hasn't been a player like him in the history of game. He does remind me of Ronaldo, where as Root is more natural somewhat like Messi.
    Kohli isn't second best to anyone in his generation and he is more of a natural talent with flair than a trained talent like Ronaldo.
    Last edited by Aman; 11th December 2016 at 03:22.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Kohli.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still root a better test player for me

Kohli had an exceptional series but root has done faily well in this series

He is the best overseas batsman from the whole aus,nuz,eng,sou toured india recently

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Protea Fan View Post

He is the best overseas batsman from the whole aus,nuz,eng,sou toured india recently
    Root has looked poor against spin many times despite getting runs. He needs to tighten his game.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Protea Fan View Post

Trust me on this "Kohli is a far superior player of spin than Root is"

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add to that kohli has a bit more of versatility to him as well. Easily the best batsman of his generation.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Statistics aside Kohli has this wow factor. Root may not be an attractive player to watch like Kohli. But very effective percentage cricketer. He makes runs every where. Root is more like Amla. Kohli is more like ABDV.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Past we had Sachin-Lara-Ponting-Kallis-Dravid now we are witnessing same batting masterclass from Kohli-Smith-Root-Williamson-Warner...All are terrific players

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter13992 View Post
    Past we had Sachin-Lara-Ponting-Kallis-Dravid now we are witnessing same batting masterclass from Kohli-Smith-Root-Williamson-Warner...All are terrific players
    Hopefully we will also find the wasim, waqar, donald, pollock, walsh, ambrose, mcgrath of this generation.

It already has a few good all rounders who can become ATG in the long run; along with a potential great leggie and offie.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith. Though it's very close.
    Wouldn't put Williamson among those three. He simply isn't that good.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter13992 View Post
    Batsmen who dominate bowlers always get more attention. Match winners ilke Laxman, Dravid took the back seat coz of it. In Kohli's case he is a match winner, he dominates bowling, he is also an attractive player to watch. So he is something special.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Root has looked poor against spin many times despite getting runs. He needs to tighten his game.
    Might be harsh but Root looks more like Mohammad Yousuf, king of soft runs.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is pak forum. I thought no one will pick kohli but still he is shining here.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this was only test match debate, then I will say Root. Kohli had stellar 2016, but he needs to "win" more tests. Yes, he has 100s in RSA, NZ, Aus, but all in losses or draws.

But if we are talking all formats in general, then I have to say Kohli. Because He is so far ahead of the pack in ODIs and T20s, its ridiculous. He can be compared to Viv Richards in LOI formats. There is something exceptional about his determination in LOIs.

So he is quickly catching up in tests, and is far ahead in ODI, T20s, so I have to say Kohli.

King Kohli.