Instagram


The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 161 to 178 of 178
  1. #161
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    7,739
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Why India was ranked no.1 in 1973 ?

    Team stats from 1971-73

    Team Mat Won Lost Draw W/L
    India 13 4 1 8 4
    Australia 18 8 4 6 2
    England 31 9 7 15 1.285
    West Indies 18 2 3 13 0.666
    Pakistan 12 1 4 7 0.25
    New Zealand 14 0 5 9 0

    Reason - India has best Win Loss record during this time.

    Breakdown of India's matches during that time

    Series Mat Won Lost Tied Draw Start Date Winner
    India in West Indies 5 1 0 0 4 2/18/1971 India
    India in England 3 1 0 0 2 7/22/1971 India
    England in India 5 2 1 0 2 12/20/1972 India

    8 out of 13 matches were overseas.


    Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

  2. #162
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    25,855
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by munda_khi View Post
    that series was 1979-80 and Pakistan played the full strength team. Asif Iqbal was the captain with Majid, Sadiq, Zaheer, Imran, Miandad, Wasim Raja, Iqbal Qasim, Mudassar all were playing. We lost the 6 match series 2-0


    Do you know the meaning of a full strength team?

    I would not call it full strength when the most popular member and one of the main batsme/captain backs out due to some issues with board/players, one of the two main fast bowlers (senior one at that) gets dropped due to the new captain, other main fast bowler plays mostly in and out (with injury woes), and not to foregt the umpiring they faced!

    Side note: Some of the players like Mudassar, Qasim, Sikandar etc. were just establishing themselves in the team and played most of the matches, so all in all with almost all the batsmen losing form (due to various reasons), that was far from a full strength side


    Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

  3. #163
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    25,855
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeetu View Post
    Why India was ranked no.1 in 1973 ?

    Team stats from 1971-73

    Team Mat Won Lost Draw W/L
    India 13 4 1 8 4
    Australia 18 8 4 6 2
    England 31 9 7 15 1.285
    West Indies 18 2 3 13 0.666
    Pakistan 12 1 4 7 0.25
    New Zealand 14 0 5 9 0

    Reason - India has best Win Loss record during this time.

    Breakdown of India's matches during that time

    Series Mat Won Lost Tied Draw Start Date Winner
    India in West Indies 5 1 0 0 4 2/18/1971 India
    India in England 3 1 0 0 2 7/22/1971 India
    England in India 5 2 1 0 2 12/20/1972 India

    8 out of 13 matches were overseas.


    So even then India bullied at home mostly to be number 1...some things never change except that now a days they suck big time when outside Asia!


    Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

  4. #164
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,430
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post
    So even then India bullied at home mostly to be number 1...some things never change except that now a days they suck big time when outside Asia!
    Bullied at home? Did you actually read @jeetu's post? I said India won series in England and WI, and 8 of its 13 Tests were abroad.
    Last edited by Napa; 12th October 2017 at 02:30.

  5. #165
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,430
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post
    Yep exactly, since it supports your argument, no matter how silly it is. So a team winning games does not matter at all, good to know especially when the gap is quite significant in winning percentage despite India having played a 100 more tests; this is even more significant since India only managed to win one more test than Pakistan despite that
    You would do well to actually look at the numbers before using words like "silly". The figures in the table have India starting at 1932. From 1932 to 1947 were a time when India (which included Pakistan) lost a lot and won ZERO matches. You need to account for that before comparing India and Pakistan's records. Also it matters who the countries play. Winning against countries like Zimb is no big deal.

  6. #166
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    4,388
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Tendulkar averaged 41 in that series but he had a string of low scores from what I remember. Cameron Cuffy and Dillon bowled really well.
    I was speaking of the 1997 tour.


    If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

  7. #167
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    1,252
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post
    You need to first read the post well, I was referring to WI and their tour to India in 1978 or 1979 when they toured India with Fawad Bacchus as their captain; most WI great players had a spat with the board and they were not picked!
    in that case my bad

  8. #168
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    25,855
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    You would do well to actually look at the numbers before using words like "silly". The figures in the table have India starting at 1932. From 1932 to 1947 were a time when India (which included Pakistan) lost a lot and won ZERO matches. You need to account for that before comparing India and Pakistan's records. Also it matters who the countries play. Winning against countries like Zimb is no big deal.


    Yeah, I know why you would say that when it took your team forever to win a series against Minnows like Zimbabwe and NZ in their own back yard :-)

    We all know how India performs when on the road outside Asia anyway, so you can lecture someone else who don't know that


    Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

  9. #169
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    2,862
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    I assume by now India has overtaken SA. Next up is England. Given that they are ahead by more than 60 months, it should take a decade or more to catch up with them.
    Ind - 58
    SAF - 61

    Looks like that page had the wrong numbers last time I saw it a about 18 months ago. I re-counted it now and we are still 3 months behind.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeetu View Post
    Nice find , both India and Pakistan were juggling from 6th-7th spot back then. Low point for both countries.
    That link was found by you last year


    Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata

  10. #170
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    2,862
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post
    Yeah, I know why you would say that when it took your team forever to win a series against Minnows like Zimbabwe and NZ in their own back yard :-)

    We all know how India performs when on the road outside Asia anyway, so you can lecture someone else who don't know that
    Brave coming from a Pak fan whose team barely managed to win a series in WI after 50+ yrs


    Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata

  11. #171
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,430
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tusker View Post
    Brave coming from a Pak fan whose team barely managed to win a series in WI after 50+ yrs
    I don't think beating the current WI team is really beating "The West Indies". WI of the 20th Century was the real thing, which made India's series win in the early 1970s there worth something.

  12. #172
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    7,739
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tusker View Post
    That link was found by you last year
    I remembered the link , took me while to figured it out back then. There were just too many pages there to remember the details of each page.


    Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

  13. #173
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    25,855
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    I don't think beating the current WI team is really beating "The West Indies". WI of the 20th Century was the real thing, which made India's series win in the early 1970s there worth something.


    LOL, Indian boys talking about history that they barely knew of, that 1971 WI team's bowling was probably much worse than even the current team; they played majority spin bowlers in that series and almost all fast bowlers didn't even have a long enough career except Holder with 40 Tests for an earth shattering 109 wickets. Even most spinners except Gibbs (he strangely only played one test) were barely anything to write home about.

    I mean when you employ 14 bowlers in 5 tests (I didn't even list 3-4 part timers here), that tells you the sorry state the bowling was in

    Holder: 40 Tests: 109 Wickets
    Shillingford: 7 Tests: 15 Wickets
    Noriega : 3 Tests: Wickets
    Barrett : 6 Tests: 13 Wickets
    Lloyd : 110 Tests: 10 Wickets
    Carew : 19 Tests: 8 Wickets
    Davis : 15 Tests: 2 Wickets
    Boyce : 21 Tests: 60 Wickets
    Gibbs : 79 Tests: 309 Wickets (played only 1 Test)
    Dowe : 4 Tests: 12 Wickets
    Inshan Ali : 12 Tests: 34 Wickets
    Foster: : 14 Tests: 9 Wickets
    Sheperd: : 5 Tests: 19 Wickets
    Holford: 24 Tests: 51 Wickets

    Now I know why Indians hold that series win so highly LOL


    Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

  14. #174
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,430
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post
    LOL, Indian boys talking about history that they barely knew of, that 1971 WI team's bowling was probably much worse than even the current team; they played majority spin bowlers in that series and almost all fast bowlers didn't even have a long enough career except Holder with 40 Tests for an earth shattering 109 wickets. Even most spinners except Gibbs (he strangely only played one test) were barely anything to write home about.

    I mean when you employ 14 bowlers in 5 tests (I didn't even list 3-4 part timers here), that tells you the sorry state the bowling was in

    Holder: 40 Tests: 109 Wickets
    Shillingford: 7 Tests: 15 Wickets
    Noriega : 3 Tests: Wickets
    Barrett : 6 Tests: 13 Wickets
    Lloyd : 110 Tests: 10 Wickets
    Carew : 19 Tests: 8 Wickets
    Davis : 15 Tests: 2 Wickets
    Boyce : 21 Tests: 60 Wickets
    Gibbs : 79 Tests: 309 Wickets (played only 1 Test)
    Dowe : 4 Tests: 12 Wickets
    Inshan Ali : 12 Tests: 34 Wickets
    Foster: : 14 Tests: 9 Wickets
    Sheperd: : 5 Tests: 19 Wickets
    Holford: 24 Tests: 51 Wickets

    Now I know why Indians hold that series win so highly LOL
    I assume your omitting the greatest all-rounder of all time in your list was an oversight and not deliberate.

  15. #175
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    25,855
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    I assume your omitting the greatest all-rounder of all time in your list was an oversight and not deliberate.


    LOL, obviously an oversight from me, or else how could I skip someone of his calibre and also the fact that he was probably the only consitent and successful bowler with 12+ wickets in the series?

    Now back to the main point, if this was the only defence you guys could muster to the point I raised i.e. WI's bowlers and stadard of their quality and performance was frankly appalling to boast so much so as to claim it was a great moment in Indian cricket history etc.

    That bowling attack was probably on the level of a minnow level at best


    Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

  16. #176
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    25,855
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ It was def a good moment in Indian history but not to the point to boast it as follows "I don't think beating the current WI team is really beating "The West Indies". WI of the 20th Century was the real thing, which made India's series win in the early 1970s there worth something."


    Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

  17. #177
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    2,430
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post
    LOL, obviously an oversight from me, or else how could I skip someone of his calibre and also the fact that he was probably the only consitent and successful bowler with 12+ wickets in the series?

    Now back to the main point, if this was the only defence you guys could muster to the point I raised i.e. WI's bowlers and stadard of their quality and performance was frankly appalling to boast so much so as to claim it was a great moment in Indian cricket history etc.
    That bowling attack was probably on the level of a minnow level at best
    The bowling attack was the usual level for a bowling attack for WI during that time. Sobers is of course an all-time great, but a bowler like Noreiga out-performed him with 17 wkts at 29.0 avg compared to Sobers' 12 wkts at 33.41 avg.

    The bowling looked poor because the Indian batting led by Gavaskar was phenomenal. It is not often that countries write songs about batsmen from visiting teams.

    The Indian bowling did well against batsmen like Lloyd, Kanhai and Sobers. Overall the Indian team did very well, not only winning the series but also coming close to winning the 1st and 5th Tests. That is the kind of performance which carried India to the #1 ranking two years later in 1973.

  18. #178
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    25,855
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^That still does not warrant the boasting you and others have made re: ""The West Indies". WI of the 20th Century was the real thing, which made India's series win in the early 1970s there worth something."

    If that attack was poor (considering how many few test flops were in it) than how could it be better than the current attack which actually has 2-3 established and all others regular bowlers as well?

    Also, WI really became WI of the 20th century starting right after their drubbing against Australis by 5-1 margin in 1975-76 I think....not in the early part of 1970's


    Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •