UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pure Urdu

@Nostalgic

Bro can you tell me how you learned your version of Urdu, I am from the West and never had the chance to speak proper urdu, reason I ask is because it's mixed with Farsi, which I also want to pick up aswell, aesthetically its very nice

Pakistan Zindabad!

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRanged View Post
    @Nostalgic

Bro can you tell me how you learned your version of Urdu, I am from the West and never had the chance to speak proper urdu, reason I ask is because it's mixed with Farsi, which I also want to pick up aswell, aesthetically its very nice
    Thanks! There were a few contributing factors:

First and foremost, a love for reading from a very early age. I've dwelt on it at length in my Interview.

Next, I was blessed with fine teachers. I've mentioned my college Urdu professor, a published poet, in my Introduction thread, and he was instrumental in developing the love for the language that was always there.

The fact that I grew up in a time when being proficient in a language still meant something, had a big role to play.

Finally, learning Farsi. I learnt it online: there is a series of lessons by a linguist called Iraj Bashiri that really helped. From an etymological point of view, it drastically improves your Urdu, because so many words and phrases are Persian origin or Arabic origin via Persian. The proverbial lightbulbs turn on over your head.

I understand your predicament. I live in the U.S. and I have been unable to teach my kids the language. I will need to seriously work on it, and I've tried, but it's very difficult, given how they are inundated with English all around them. My wife and I made the cardinal error on speaking English to them, and we wonder sometimes if insisting on Urdu at home would've been a better approach.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Exile
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Endymion can teach you pure Urdu

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deosai View Post
    It's @endymion248
    @Endymion is a poseur.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    It's @endymion248
    @Endymion is a poseur.
    It's actually my account that I made eons ago but never got activated. So I just added a few numbers at the end, thinking it wouldn't work.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deosai View Post
    My Urdu knowledge is limited to the fact that it looks like Punjabi.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    872 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I was lucky to have parents who spoke urdu at home, and first few years of my life were in Pakistan so I developed a solid urdu speaking base.

I'm glad they didn't speak english at home otherwise I would've lost my one major connection with my home country.

Whenever I go back to Pakistan and get invited to a party people think I'm lying when I tell them I live abroad. They expect a burger accent from me but I give them the pure desi ghee.

Jeevey Jeevey Pakistan
    Last edited by Suleiman; 1st May 2016 at 01:01.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by endymion248 View Post
    It's actually my account that I made eons ago but never got activated. So I just added a few numbers at the end, thinking it wouldn't work.
    So the numbers are random? I always thought there was some sort of mystic underpinning to the 248, something for me to mull over and decipher.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So the numbers are random? I always thought there was some sort of mystic underpinning to the 248, something for me to mull over and decipher.

Alright , they are not random. When I was a kid (as in under 12), I was obsessed with my brain. Every time I got hit on the head or something, I would be afraid that it has become less sharp. So what I would do is multiply the exponents of 2. If I made it to 16384, it meant everything is alright. It's obviously pretty stupid from a biological perspective but I got the powers down to a t. I guess I was supposed to be a programmer rather than a doctor... And it stuck as a habit, I often mind myself doing it before an exam.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Alright , they are not random. When I was a kid (as in under 12), I was obsessed with my brain. Every time I got hit on the head or something, I would be afraid that it has become less sharp. So what I would do is multiply the exponents of 2. If I made it to 16384, it meant everything is alright. It's obviously pretty stupid from a biological perspective but I got the powers down to a t. I guess I was supposed to be a programmer rather than a doctor... And it stuck as a habit, I often mind myself doing it before an exam.
    Fascinating. Us hardware designers have the powers of two memorized very early in our careers.

I guess medicine's gain is our loss. Then again, we could do without even more competition ; )

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fascinating. Us hardware designers have the powers of two memorized very early in our careers.

I guess medicine's gain is our loss. Then again, we could do without even more competition ; )
    I'm sure there is more to it than the powers of 2.

But, to be honest, you too never struck me as the Cartesian type, more on the creative side. How come you chose a career in tech?

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Learning so much Urdu already!

Thanks guys. Brilliant thread.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there is more to it than the powers of 2.

But, to be honest, you too never struck me as the Cartesian type, more on the creative side. How come you chose a career in tech?
    Didn't really choose it. It was either this or medicine or the army. I chose the one that required the least amount of exposure to blood and gore and bodily fluids, and the most likelihood of sitting around staring at screens.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberkoen View Post

Pleasure. It's so gratifying to be able to help.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didn't really choose it. It was either this or medicine or the army. I chose the one that required the least amount of exposure to blood and gore and bodily fluids, and the most likelihood of sitting around staring at screens.
    But soldiers and doctors tend to make good writers. My favorite author, Louis-Ferdinand Céline, was both. There may be something in the guts and gore...

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well thats ironic

Kuch to log kahenge
    Logon ka kaam hai kehna

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    612 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    But soldiers and doctors tend to make good writers. My favorite author, Louis-Ferdinand Céline, was both. There may be something in the guts and gore...
    Yes, a bad career move on my part. I could've been @Mamoon 's supervisor at a ramshackle government hospital, with shady goings-on and rampant corruption, and nocturnal doctor-nurse liaisons. I can't think of better fodder for stories.

Wasn't Chekhov a doctor too?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    872 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberkoen View Post

yeah btw OP asked to learn urdu and we are talking about something else.

OP I suggest you start on the noorani qaida, with basic alif, bay, tay, pay... etc etc

Let me know if you need help.

Will then move to basic words like kutta, billee, taala, naarangi, etc

and then basic sentences like Woh seb laal hai, woh jhanda hara hai etc.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.