Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The guy reminds me a lot of Suresh Raina. Same hitting technique, areas and batting stance. I wonder if he has the same vulnerability to the short ball.
    What are you kidding me, this guy is totally different from raina, his zones are different have seen him play good cuts and pulls, he isn't a deer caught in light kind of guy against short stuff

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a glorious hundred.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One wonders why is he not in Asia cup. What is Dhoni still doing in our ODI team? Our selectors should be ashamed

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good first tour compared to Kohli, hopefully improves.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pant should have been picked for Asia cup, Dhoni will block youngster's place till 2019 World Cup now.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our squad for the world cup should be:
    Rohit
    Dhawan
    Rahul
    Kohli
    Pant
    Pandya
    Dhoni ( I know he does not deserve to be in the squad but no way is he exiting before the WC)
    Jadeja
    Bhuvi
    Kuldeep
    Bumrah
    (Batting all the way down till no.9 and decent bowling options too)

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by battler View Post
    Rohit
    Dhawan
    Rahul
    Kohli
    Pant
    Pandya
    Dhoni ( I know he does not deserve to be in the squad but no way is he exiting before the WC)
    Jadeja
    Bhuvi
    Kuldeep
    Bumrah
    Good team. Perhaps the best we can send with the exception of MSD.

I would send Jadeja ahaead of MSD. Dhoni should only come after 45th over. You send him in 30-35 overs, he will kill all the momentum.

I am glad you are able to put Pant in the lineup. I am even tempted to play Shaw if any of the openers or Pant fails.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    One wonders why is he not in Asia cup. What is Dhoni still doing in our ODI team? Our selectors should be ashamed
    In our part of the world, no selector ever muster the courage to drop senior players like Dhoni. Haven't you heard all ex-players saying for players like Dhoni/Tendulkar/Dravid/Laxman/etc - "he has earned the right to decide when to quit"

It's a shame that pant is not part of this squad..all these oldies like Dhoni, rayadu will ensure India doesn't win next year WC.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    Don't discount Dhoni's keeping and (more importantly) his experience.

It should not be forgotten that he is the only remaining captain in cricket today who knows how to win a world cup.

And given what we have seen of Kohli's captaincy, we might very well need Dhoni on the field.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    Good team. Perhaps the best we can send with the exception of MSD.

I would send Jadeja ahaead of MSD. Dhoni should only come after 45th over. You send him in 30-35 overs, he will kill all the momentum.

I am glad you are able to put Pant in the lineup. I am even tempted to play Shaw if any of the openers or Pant fails.
    Ideally Dhoni's only role in the team should be his keeping and baby-sitting kohli for captaincy with minimal use of his batting. But knowing our team management I fully expect Dhoni to come in at no.5 and kill all the momentum.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by battler View Post
    Rohit
    Dhawan
    Rahul
    Kohli
    Pant
    Pandya
    Jadeja
    Bhuvi
    Kuldeep
    Bumrah
    Top heavy, middle order is very weak.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddy View Post
    Pant should have been picked for Asia cup, Dhoni will block youngster's place till 2019 World Cup now.
    No player will drop himself. Indian selectors have to take a call and drop him. No apologies required. But selectors do not have courage.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's clear as daylight that the moment Pant gets a run in shorter format, Dhoni will be forced to retire.

I hope good sense prevails on Dhoni and he announces his retirement after playing a match vs WI at home.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Top heavy, middle order is very weak.
    As I said Dhoni should not come before Pant and Pandya. I don't think middle order is weak. Yes if Dhoni comes in at no.5 then it automatically becomes weak as he sucks out all the momentum. Otherwise our top 6 is pretty explosive and should win us games more often than not

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmere Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rishabh Pant Wicket Keeping watch | His behind the stumps commentary is pure gold!

What an addition this gu has been to the Indian team!

Aggressive batsman who can tear apart the fastest of bowlers. Very decent with the gloves.

And his commentary behind stumps is funny as hell. I don’t remember when the last time i found some wicket keeper’s comments funny. He’s becoming bit of a legend at the stump mic.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about the commentary but he's quite ordinary with the bat

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very decent is hugely overrating him, he had to take 2 difficult catches in the game, completely missed 1 and dropped the other. You and I could take the catches he took in the tests, also don't think it's as much aggressive as it is stupid, might come off once in 10 games but will be lucky to cross 25-30 in the 9 others.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rishy is a confident young man who is also very amusing behind the stumps. Those doubting his batting abilities should give him some time. Most of his failures have to do with over-excitement, and that will subside once he gets used to international Cricket.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Another OTT thread by the OP. He is an average batsman. Making 10 balls 20 runs in test cricket won't make him look like an aggressive batsman. He has zero game awareness. He should improve it first.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5020 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He is brilliant. His inconsistency with the bat is down to his inexperience - in two years time, he will be flying.

You have to be either extremely bitter or extremely clueless to not acknowledge the fact that he is a special talent, and yes talent alone is not everything, but India very rarely lets talented batsmen go to waste.

He is the best WK batsman to emerge out of Asia since Dhoni. A game changing match-winner who is adding a new dimension to an already great team.

He will probably never be as good as someone like Saha with the gloves, but they hardly matters in the modern game as long as you are scoring runs and holding onto regulation stuff. WKs who are great with gloves but cannot score runs are useless today.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is monstrously talented and certified spin murderer. Still have to see how he handles bouncer barrage which is inevitably going to hit him in remaining Aus tests.
    Once batting matures he has it in him to avg atleast 35 away and 40-45 at home with 80+ SR throughout.

Keeping is mediocre, but hopefully he can become a safe enough keeper. Fully expect him to break McCullum's 6's record if he plays 50-60 Tests.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmere Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cut him slack. He took 11 catches in the match that’s a world record. Too much criticism of his keeping. He is okay and he will improve.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He is brilliant. His inconsistency with the bat is down to his inexperience - in two years time, he will be flying.
    If he's inconsistent, he's not brilliant, sorry! Lol

Also, 3 ODIs to date (at an average of 20) and he's the best WK batsman to emerge out of Asia since Dhoni

Kahan se aaye ho bhai?

Bitter or clueless you said? More like delusional.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Cut him slack. He took 11 catches in the match that’s a world record. Too much criticism of his keeping. He is okay and he will improve.
    I've always found this 'record' (most catches by a keeper) to be a bit of a joke. 90% of the catches that the keepers take are regulation. Really do not see a point in using it as a barometer for keeping skills.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He doesn't look like a batsman to me. He is a good ol slogger in the mould of afridi who don't know when to attack and when to play sensible cricket.

He is what ppers call a batsman a hack

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pant is becoming a cult hero in Australia. That's what Australian presenter told Pant. Forgot her name.
    Doesn't surprise me since he is so aggressive and fearless.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He seems like a kid who thinks test cricket is a joke and just slogging away. He better tighten up quick and learn to put a price on his wicket. If he keeps playing like this, he will soon end up in league cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite his world record 11 catches, his keeping technique is ordinary. During batting, his temperament is non-existent (tries to hit out all the time), his technique his shabby especially outside the of-stump, and his defense is very vulnerable.

He relies on his bat/hand-speed and hand-eye coordination. If he does not improve on his technique, as soon as he starts to lose his hand speed, his output will decline drastically.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

'Learnt a lot from MS Dhoni' – Rishabh Pant

Rishabh Pant, the India wicket-keeper, has spoken of his admiration for MS Dhoni, the former Test captain, and said he was a big fan of the veteran's 'innovation'.

Dhoni retired from Tests during India's last tour of Australia in 2014, after accruing 4876 runs and 294 dismissals in 90 Tests. He is still a vital cog in the limited-overs set up, and is known for his sharp stumpings and his reading of the game.

But Pant is most fascinated by Dhoni's creativity behind the stumps.

"As a wicket-keeper I used to see the innovation he had in the early days," Pant said in an interview on bcci.tv after claiming an India record 11 catches in just his sixth Test. "That's why I'm attracted to him, (because) of the innovation he (brings) to Indian cricket.

Pant and Dhoni might currently be seen as competitors for the spot of the limited-overs wicket-keeping role – Pant was picked for the job ahead of Dhoni for the T20I series in Australia – but the youngster has nothing but admiration for the former ICC Cricket World Cup (2011) winning captain.

Dhoni, for his part, continues to offer guidance and advice, said Pant.

"I've learnt a lot from him as a person and as a cricketer. Whenever he's around, I feel more confident as a person. If I've got any problems I can share it with him and get a solution right away," said Pant.

Pant played down the record he achieved – the 11 catches he took also equalled the all-time record for dismissals set by Jack Russell and AB de Villiers.

"I never thought of the record but it's good to take some catches and put it inside my kitty," he said. "It's good to have milestones, but I'm not thinking about that too much."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/940601

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think Pant learnt WKing from Dhoni who despite all his batting failures during last few years, has his WKing abilities intact. Pant is a horrible WK, equaling WR notwithstanding. I hope he learns with time.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone remember, Dhoni too was hardly that good with his WKing when he burst on scene? He gradually got better and better, so much so that there are hardly any competitors of him in WK.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Caracas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is the modern day Adam Gilchrist, I have a feeling he will surpass Gilly easily. This boy is pure class and the second most exciting player in India

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5020 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    If he's inconsistent, he's not brilliant, sorry! Lol

Also, 3 ODIs to date (at an average of 20) and he's the best WK batsman to emerge out of Asia since Dhoni

Kahan se aaye ho bhai?

Bitter or clueless you said? More like delusional.
    It was fairly obvious what I meant, but it is also obvious that you are only interested in having an argument. I will take the bait, but only partially.

He is obviously not a finished article yet because of his inexperience, but it is very clear to anyone with a half-decent understanding of the game that he is extremely gifted. His ability to strike the ball, his bat speed and timing are so good. He is not very balanced at the crease but that can be worked on.

Of course talent alone is not everything, but he also has the fearless attitude to back it up and India very rarely lets talented players go to waste. All he needs to do is to develop more composure and he will be devastating.

They have a gem at their hands who could potentially serve them in all three formats for the next 10 years.

If you look at the WK batsmen produced by Asian teams since Dhoni emerged in 2004-05, he has a higher ceiling than all of them.

Since the retirement of Dhoni, in spite of being the number one team, India’s WKs were not big contributors with the bat in Test cricket.

Saha was brilliant with the gloves, but a substandard batsman who could only block on a good day, while Karthik has always been mediocre.

Having a WK who could come in after their top class batting lineup and smash a rapid 100 is something that they have missed for a while. Pant is going to bring that dimension to their lineup.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope Pant bats in top order in LOIs in future.

His footwork in keeping needs some serious work too.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It was fairly obvious what I meant, but it is also obvious that you are only interested in having an argument. I will take the bait, but only partially.

He is obviously not a finished article yet because of his inexperience, but it is very clear to anyone with a half-decent understanding of the game that he is extremely gifted. His ability to strike the ball, his bat speed and timing are so good. He is not very balanced at the crease but that can be worked on.

Of course talent alone is not everything, but he also has the fearless attitude to back it up and India very rarely lets talented players go to waste. All he needs to do is to develop more composure and he will be devastating.

They have a gem at their hands who could potentially serve them in all three formats for the next 10 years.

If you look at the WK batsmen produced by Asian teams since Dhoni emerged in 2004-05, he has a higher ceiling than all of them.

Since the retirement of Dhoni, in spite of being the number one team, India’s WKs were not big contributors with the bat in Test cricket.

Saha was brilliant with the gloves, but a substandard batsman who could only block on a good day, while Karthik has always been mediocre.

Having a WK who could come in after their top class batting lineup and smash a rapid 100 is something that they have missed for a while. Pant is going to bring that dimension to their lineup.
    Not seeking any argument. Just pointing out the typical lofty but unsubstantiated claims you're always making around here to keep with the persona ;)

All that you've highlighted is based on conjecture rather than facts. Also, apart from all the generic catch phrases, what do you even mean when you say "he has a higher ceiling than all of them"? If that is all that you can come up with to back your typically OTT claim, then I have nothing to say.

Also, we've heard all what you said about many players (including Indians). However, it doesn't change the fact that a 3 ODI sample size (that too with a mighty average of 20 something) is not even remotely sufficient to form any sort of hypothesis.

He might be talented, but that's where the hype the ends for now.
    Last edited by Snowflake; 12th December 2018 at 17:57.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropped the easiest catch I have seen for a keeper in international cricket. Now Marsh is making us pay. Has dropped almost all the tricky ones so far in his career but this drop belongs to the Parthiv Patel alley. Saha may not have great batting talent but as a keeper blows away his so called replacements. Anyway rooting for Pant because the other alternative in the squad is Parthiv. Kid needs to stop chirping and focus on his job.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmere Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    His batting is too important for India. Let's give him some time to develop as a keeper. Its not like we or the world cricket has abundance of batting wicket keepers talent.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An extremely mediocre keeper who keeps getting wrong footed. Marcus Harris would have been dismissed if we had a proper keeper like Saha in the XI.

Also his batting has been a letdown, seemingly doesn't understand test match tempo. His runs aren't compensating the runs cost because of his shoddy glovework, his hard hands complement his amateur footwork to give us a Parthiv Patel clone, not that bad but you get the picture.

Finally also needs to be more selfless, not just in terms of exposing the useless tail for personal stats but also if you watched IPL, his tendency to run out his partners in 50:50 situations to protect his own wicket doesn't inspire confidence.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Batted like he wanted India to be all out ASAP...... Just terrible, easily cost India 20-25 runs atleast...
    Last edited by MenInG; 16th December 2018 at 12:28. Reason: Bro leave the swearing etc out of this

"Everything else seems so superfluous." ~ Albert Einstein on the Bhagavad-Gita

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    KL Rahul and Rishabh Pant are the most hyped up superstars by IPL fans here.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Jhansi(uttar pradesh),India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We are surely missing the great "THALA"
    and his mighty average of 19 in aus.
    What do people expect from a wk batsman?
    Yes he has to improve his keeping but as far as batting is concern he is doing better than what others did.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    We are surely missing the great "THALA"
    and his mighty average of 19 in aus.
    What do people expect from a wk batsman?
    Yes he has to improve his keeping but as far as batting is concern he is doing better than what others did.
    I would rather have saha, pant doesn't score enough runs to cover his dropped chances every game.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So India have also an Akmal like WK going by the comments here?

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    Nope he just isn't experienced enough he will need to drop a lot more catches to come anywhere near akmal.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah Pant isn't that bad, merely below average. Our Akmal behind the stumps is Parthiv Patel but at least your boy has played a couple of outstanding test knocks against arch-rivals India, Parthiv sadly is useless in every facet of the game.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Saha is an incredible keeper.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Poor Saha got injured at the wrong time - not that there is a good time to get injured - because injuries so late in ones career can simply end your career. He's already 34 so we may not see him again, not everyone gets a long rope late in their career like a Dhoni does. Also in the last 12-18 months before his injury Saha's test batting had finally come good.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Some fans were moaning about Saha in the Test side and when he got injured you wanted Pant in. Now that he's in, you want Saha back

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take Saha anyday over this guy. With Saha you get an assured keeper behind the stumps and he is also capable of scoring these 25-30 runs Pant is scoring. The only thing Pant knows is leg side slogs, constant chirping behind the stumps and dropping key catches.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh I miss Saha, such a natural keeper and simple guy. I am sick of Pant's sound-bites when he can't do his primary job well. I am sure our bowlers too are missing Saha, he is the kind of guy who nobody notices until he isn't there, only now we realize the value of such a player. Truly great keepers go unnoticed as long as they keep well, only when they cost the team do we even realize their (irritating) presence on the field. Pant with his easy drop of Marsh has cost us a vital 1st innings lead and that may prove to be the difference.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Some fans were moaning about Saha in the Test side and when he got injured you wanted Pant in. Now that he's in, you want Saha back
    Exactly lol

Have patience with Pant.It's his first tour to Aus hes just 21.Has shown good confidence and talent already.Today restrained himself early on when Kohli was in

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pant drops sitters because of hard hands, Pant with his clumsy footwork makes sitters look like half chances and misses them or worse doesn't attempt (eg today's Pujara drop was Pant's regulation catch), Pant has never surprised us with a game changing jaw dropping catch.

Meanwhile with Saha IIRC we didn't even need a 1st slip, Saha sometimes gobbled up quarter chances in leg slip, silly point and FSL positions .

Judge a keeper based on runs scored minus runs cost (drops, misses, byes, psychological effect on bowlers).

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With our weak slip cordon we can't afford a weak keeper. I have high hopes for Pant, hope he works on his shortcomings and becomes an asset for us. The current alternatives (Parthiv, Karthik) are horrifying.

Any idea about the keeping skills of Ishan Kishan, Sanju Samson and any other young prospect in the domestic scene? Why didn't we give Naman Ojha a longer run?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Saha is not coming back. Pant is 21 and will only improve.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Pant drops sitters because of hard hands, Pant with his clumsy footwork makes sitters look like half chances and misses them or worse doesn't attempt (eg today's Pujara drop was Pant's regulation catch), Pant has never surprised us with a game changing jaw dropping catch.

Meanwhile with Saha IIRC we didn't even need a 1st slip, Saha sometimes gobbled up quarter chances in leg slip, silly point and FSL positions .

Judge a keeper based on runs scored minus runs cost (drops, misses, byes, psychological effect on bowlers).
    LOL Saha did take blinders but had his own share of drops as well. Go through the match commentaries and you’ll have the details.

The costliest I can remember being Chandimal in the Galle Test and Stokes at Rajkot. Both hit 100s

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Too many Saha *******, he was great but dropped crucial catches as well. I am happy with Pant’s contribution and improvement.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol that's y I hate subcontinent support, they started reacting in each and every match. Pant is only 21 , if we can give useless Rohit Sharma 6 year than this guy deserve at least a year to mature. He will be next Gilchrist, have some patience.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan View Post
    LOL Saha did take blinders but had his own share of drops as well. Go through the match commentaries and you’ll have the details.

The costliest I can remember being Chandimal in the Galle Test and Stokes at Rajkot. Both hit 100s
    He was injured in the England series, I remember his drops in Rajkot. He may have dropped a few, no keeper is immune to drops. But there is a difference between dropping once every innings and once in 10 innings.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yes. And he also have fans just like Akmal fans who are ready to give him 3 more chances again and again.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cricket View Post
    Lol that's y I hate subcontinent support, they started reacting in each and every match. Pant is only 21 , if we can give useless Rohit Sharma 6 year than this guy deserve at least a year to mature. He will be next Gilchrist, have some patience.
    This is how some of these fans are. The same fans who were supporting Pant blindly are the ones who are against him now. Just wait for one more series they will start chanting 'Dhoni Dhoni' too.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I always said that I'd have proper WK than average Keeper batsman in Tests and ODI..

ﺳُﺒْﺤَﺎﻥَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭﺍﻟْﺤَﻤْﺪُﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭَ ﻻ ﺍِﻟﻪَ ﺍِﻟَّﺎ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﻭَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﺍَﻛْﺒَﺮُ
    PCL 3 FC CHAMPIONS | Loose Cannons CC | #CannonsFire

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Yes. And he also have fans just like Akmal fans who are ready to give him 3 more chances again and again.
    I haven't seen him lately , does he look the part.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    He was injured in the England series, I remember his drops in Rajkot. He may have dropped a few, no keeper is immune to drops. But there is a difference between dropping once every innings and once in 10 innings.
    Before making such big statements, do look at the commentary

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Pant is here for the long haul.

I have no idea why he purposely looks to bat like a slogger, but barring that I'm happy with his keeping so far.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is raw but he is young so he has time to improve his wicketkeeping. His batting can be become far better than Saha's.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Pant is here for the long haul.

I have no idea why he purposely looks to bat like a slogger, but barring that I'm happy with his keeping so far.
    He's batted on some of the most difficult pitches we have faced. No team has scored 350-400 consistently. Give him a slightly benign surface and he will begin to bloom, will gradually learn to bat on tough pitches as he matures.

Having said that ,he should cut ďown on some of the high risk shots which have led to his downfall.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan View Post
    He's batted on some of the most difficult pitches we have faced. No team has scored 350-400 consistently. Give him a slightly benign surface and he will begin to bloom, will gradually learn to bat on tough pitches as he matures.
    Sure, but that applies if he's being found out outside the off stump or with a short ball or some such. He is deliberately trying to hoick everything that comes his way - which has nothing to do with the pitch in my opinion.

Somebody has to have a word with him. And not Shastri who has likely told him to go ahead with this approach in the first place.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nore than anything the batting coach should give him a target of batting for at least 50 balls before hitting big. That approach worked when he hit a 100 vs Engand and 50s vs WI.

Other option is to naybe get him to open with Vijay in the 2nd innings. Hish risk strategy but well worth the punt given our opening woes. He's opened for Delhi in Ranji Trophy, so isn't completely new to it. Not sure if the team management will take the risk though.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know he's young and can hit the ball well, but he's the worst keeper I've seen since Kamran Akmal. He makes Jonny Bairstow look like Alan Knott.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dhoni was very average with the gloves when he first came onto the scene too - but he got better with practice and experience. Pant deserves a chance to see if he can do the same.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    India's Gilchrist. He's gonna play some great innings.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    India's Gilchrist. He's gonna play some great innings.
    Comparison with Gilchrist is the ultimate praise for a w/k

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Caracas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is more annoying than Mushfiqur behind the stump. Someone needs to shut him up, also he keeps like him too. Both are horrible keepers

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He will improve in batting and keeping. Excellent talent. Seeing him play for India whilst we have specialist captain makes me depressed.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wicket keeping technique isn't good. Will be replaced by a superior wk soon.

Saha should replace him imo.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Wicket keeping technique isn't good. Will be replaced by a superior wk soon.

Saha should replace him imo.
    Saha's career is over. Next test we play is after the 2019 WC. No way we can go back to a 35 year old keeper who missed all the away tours. We should continue to invest in Pant. Missed opportunity to not get another young keeper in place of Parthiv on this tour.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pant is perfect wicket keeper batsman IMO. All those who are missing Saha, do they even know that Saha has played all together 4 test matches in England/SA/Australia/NZ combined? What's there to miss then ? He played almost all his matches in Asia and scored 80%+ of whatever little runs he scored in there. Pant keeping was perfectly fine in this test match, he ain't a finished product but getting there at a rapid pace.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Pant is perfect wicket keeper batsman IMO. All those who are missing Saha, do they even know that Saha has played all together 4 test matches in England/SA/Australia/NZ combined? What's there to miss then ? He played almost all his matches in Asia and scored 80%+ of whatever little runs he scored in there. Pant keeping was perfectly fine in this test match, he ain't a finished product but getting there at a rapid pace.
    This!

Those who're missing Saha have probably forgotten his share of dropped catches. As they say, we tend to view past with rose tinted glasses.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5020 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Saha was a brilliant keeper but he was never going to be a long-term option for India. He was simply not good enough as a batsman to have a long career. There is a reason why Pant has been fast-tracked. India have a gem at their hands - he might never be as good as Saha with the gloves, but his batting is exactly what India needed post Dhoni.

He has the confidence and the attitude of a superstar. The way he was trying to tonk Lyon in the penultimate over of the day would be deemed as reckless by many, but this is exactly the fearless culture that Kohli and Shastri are trying to create in the team. He can only flourish under their leadership and they will not lose patience with him after a string of low scores which are inevitable for a young, aggressive player.

Potential wise he is right up there with the likes of de Kock, Buttler and Bairstow as the most promising WK batsmen of recent years, and as I stated earlier, post Dhoni, India were in serious need of a WK who can average around 35 and above at a strike rate of 60+. Pant is someone who will provide that dynamism.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sanju Samson is still the best wicket keeper batsman in India. This guy is a level below him. Samson bats a lot like Rohit Sharma and is very good across formats. He has some temperamental issues but hopefully he’ll sort that out soon. Heard he’s practising Yoga and meditation at a famous Yoga centre.

I don’t know why people here ignore him. He’s head and shoulders above ‘Pant the leg side hack’ as a batsman and keeper.