Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Best TV Shows of All Time?

I enjoyed watching many TV Shows so i always find it hard to pick 1 of them as greatest of all time.

My Top 5 picks:

The X-Files
    Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones
    House of Cards
    The Walking Dead

Your picks?

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    I have seen very few but till date, mine has to be Breaking Bad.

Season 1 to 4 were absolute masterpieces. Season 5 was good but not upto its usual standards.

Didn't watch Game of Thrones yet.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 8th May 2016 at 13:53.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    Seinfeld
    the shield

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2021 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Prison Break.

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fresh prince of bel air. Golden girls. Full house. Cosby show.

Rule #1 Im always right
    Rule #2 If im wrong please look at rule #1

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones

Haven't watched Wire yet. Heard some great things.

Used to love Sitcoms and would have rated Sienfeld and Frasier a few years ago, but I no longer enjoy sitcoms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by #GreenRoars View Post
    Prison Break.
    Only season one. Galway through season 2 I lost hope. Season 3 onwards, I thought it became unbearable.

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the time it ends,Better Call Saul would be as good as if not better than Breaking Bad. I already think it is phenomenal.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Breaking Bad is quite easily the greatest TV show of all time in every way. The perfect TV show.

Followed by The Wire and The Sopranos. Game of Thrones could have been here because of its amazing first 4 seasons but season 5 was boring as hell and the first 2 episodes of this season have been garbage.

Don't save her
    She don't wanna be saved

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteCynical View Post
    By the time it ends,Better Call Saul would be as good as if not better than Breaking Bad. I already think it is phenomenal.

Same here. Im loving it so much but for me Breaking Bad is still easily the best show of all time

Don't save her
    She don't wanna be saved

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lost was amazing for the first 3 seasons but then it became a convoluted pile of rubbish

Don't save her
    She don't wanna be saved

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone here crack this one? If you already know the answer, please give others an opportunity to crack this.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TM Riddle View Post
    The Wire
    The Sopranos
    Breaking Bad
    Seinfeld
    the shield
    Your choices are similar to mine so I think I may enjoy the Shield. Mind sharing what it is about?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Better Call Saul Season 1 started off great with Tuco's episodes but kept losing track.

Season 2 has been great.

But compared to Breaking Bad, its nothing mate.

Breaking Bad is several leagues above.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Worst TV show ever = Bates Motel

Horrible horrible horrible show.

Started watching The 100 first episode today.

Crap acting and execution. Not gonna put myself through that torture.

Marco Polo was fun. Not a great show in terms of drama but it keeps you engaged and the visuals are GREAT. Waiting for Season 2. The character "One Hundred Eyes" is simply legendary.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 8th May 2016 at 16:47.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am really enjoying Better Call Saul because in Breaking Bad i always wanted to see more of Saul and Mike my fav characters and that wish is becoming true in this one. I would love to see Gus in upcoming season.

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Breaking Bad

Death note

Samurai X

Nothing comes anywhere near to these three awesome shows

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGuru View Post
    I am really enjoying Better Call Saul because in Breaking Bad i always wanted to see more of Saul and Mike my fav characters and that wish is becoming true in this one. I would love to see Gus in upcoming season.
    Totally agree with you.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Better Call Saul Season 1 started off great with Tuco's episodes but kept losing track.

Season 2 has been great.

Yes, so far BCS (Season 1 and 2) < BB (Season 1,2,3,4,5)

I would wait and watch. BTW did you see my question above? Any guesses?

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am surprised to see not many people here rate House of Cards it's one of the best TV Show ever IMHO and the way Kevin Spacey performed this negative role was mind blowing.

Although i really hated him for some scenes in House of Cards like pissing on his father's grave and spitting on Jesus face in church. I think they followed Game of Thrones way of going to extreme and putting unnecessary and offensive stuff otherwise both shows can do fine without all these extreme insulting and anti-religious scenes.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @WebGuru @aliasad1998 Any guesses with that question i posted about Better call Saul?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Season 2 has been great.

The fact that you have to create a story woven before the timeline of BReaking bad, without affecting continuity as well as project Saul as an independent character who can run the show on his own, plus maintaining the same taut suspense via some phenomenal writing just blows me away

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am surprised to see not many people here rate House of Cards it's one of the best TV Show ever IMHO and the way Kevin Spacey performed this negative role was mind blowing.

Although i really hated him for some scenes in House of Cards like pissing on his father's grave and spitting on Jesus face in church. I think they followed Game of Thrones way of going to extreme and putting unnecessary and offensive stuff otherwise both shows can do fine without all these extreme insulting and anti-religious scenes.
    House of Cards is another excellent show, I agree. Spacey just rocks. The climax of the last season was mind numbing, however, I will still rate it below Sopranos and BB.

Narcos Season 1 was phenomenal. Cannot wait for next

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vince Gilligan started his career as writer with ATG TV Show The X-Files and than he created gems like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone here crack this one? If you already know the answer, please give others an opportunity to crack this.

The answer to the Anagram is "FRING IS BACK" and I cannot wait for the next season.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    House of Cards is another excellent show, I agree. Spacey just rocks. The climax of the last season was mind numbing, however, I will still rate it below Sopranos and BB.

Narcos Season 1 was phenomenal. Cannot wait for next
    I am also thinking of watching Narcos i heard its a Netflix series just like House of Cards?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vince Gilligan started his career as writer with ATG TV Show The X-Files and than he created gems like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.
    That is where he picked BRyan Cranston from. HE was impressed with his performance as a freaked out guy in one of the X Files cameos

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @WebGuru @aliasad1998 Any guesses with that question i posted about Better call Saul?
    haha i guess you solved it already in the post above?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also thinking of watching Narcos i heard its a Netflix series just like House of Cards?
    Yes. Watch it. IMO, it is phenomenal.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha i guess you solved it already in the post above?
    Thought people were not interested.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is where he picked BRyan Cranston from. HE was impressed with his performance as a freaked out guy in one of the X Files cameos
    Yea i remember it. I wish they had created a separate TV Show for Cigarette Smoking Man from The X-Files back in 90s he really deserve a show of his own just like Saul both were unique characters. William B Davis was amazing in that character but now he is too old for that character.
    Last edited by WebGuru; 8th May 2016 at 17:52.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thought people were not interested.
    You should have given SIF more time he is lazy but smart ;)

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Battlestar Gallactica
    Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones
    Vikings
    The Sopranos
    House of Cards
    The Walking Dead
    Arrested Development
    Friends
    The Big Bang Theory (first 5 seasons)
    The Simpsons
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Fullmetal Alchemist

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Your choices are similar to mine so I think I may enjoy the Shield. Mind sharing what it is about?

Cop drama.Real top notch show.
    HBO makes some really fine shows.Some other good ones include 6 ft under, deadwood, boardwalk empire etc .

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    Same here. Im loving it so much but for me Breaking Bad is still easily the best show of all time
    BB is class without a doubt but I would still place The wire above it because of the it was more realistic and there was hardly a dull moment in the whole series.While with BB one would sometimes get bored with Skylar's constant whinging about everything and Walter being grumpy all the time.Still a great show though with one of the greatest endings of all time.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

House of Cards could have been legendary.It had all the ingredients of making of a successful tv show with great actors to awesome script but they really botched it up in last couple of seasons.It lacked direction and most of the time felt like they were just dragging it for the sake of it.Hugely disappointed.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Surprised to see no mention of friends yet.Perhaps the greatest sitcom of all time?

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cop drama.Real top notch show.
    HBO makes some really fine shows.Some other good ones include 6 ft under, deadwood, boardwalk empire etc .
    Boardwalk is another awesome show. Heard great things about Deadwood too. I love True Detective as well.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A big shout to Dexter. A show I used to love a lot. But have now grown out of it.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised to see no mention of friends yet.Perhaps the greatest sitcom of all time?
    Nope. IMO Sienfeld is number 1 and Frasier number 2. Or vice versa. Friends is no doubt the most popular one

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Friends was insanely good.

I was upset for 3 days when I finished watching it.

Heard Seinfeld was better than it though.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Boardwalk is another awesome show. Heard great things about Deadwood too. I love True Detective as well.

True detective season 1 was awesome.Season 2 meh not that good.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The flash. No one comes closer. Great acting. wonderful story.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Friends was insanely good.

I was upset for 3 days when I finished watching it.

Heard Seinfeld was better than it though.
    Chandler for the president.What a guy really.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Chandler for the president.What a guy really.
    Haha....indeed.

Unfreakingbelievable guy.

Loved all 5 but loved Monica Geller and Chandler the most.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Haha....indeed.

Unfreakingbelievable guy.

Loved all 5 but loved Monica Geller and Chandler the most.
    Monica was ok but it was Phoebe who stole the show among girls.Fabulous performance.I really hated Ross.He was the only weak link me thinks.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Monica was ok but it was Phoebe who stole the show among girls.Fabulous performance.I really hated Ross.He was the only weak link me thinks.
    Different people different tastes. Felt Ross was hilarious when he got into his zone.

There are some insane fan fights that go on amongst the fanbase of these 5 characters.

Chandler fans vs Joey fans vs Ross fans......Rachel fans vs Monica fans vs Phoebe fans

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    MCG - Mera Chota Ghar, SE England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Red Dwarf
    Only Fools and Horses
    Frasier
    Friends

Frank Skinner: Pakistan looked better than this when they were trying to lose.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fringe
    Game of Thrones
    The Blacklist
    Battlestar Galactica
    The Flash
    Daredevil

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The sopranos
    The Shield

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Worst TV show ever = Bates Motel

Horrible horrible horrible show.

Started watching The 100 first episode today.

Crap acting and execution. Not gonna put myself through that torture.

Marco Polo was fun. Not a great show in terms of drama but it keeps you engaged and the visuals are GREAT. Waiting for Season 2. The character "One Hundred Eyes" is simply legendary.
    I kinda agree on The 100 however and this is the thing - the first season is rip roaring horrendous but the show starts picking up by the middle of the second one.

I watch it - it's horrible but it's improved or maybe I've gotten used to it.

The Shanara Chronicles on the other hand, starts with a powerful plot and continues to get worse. So bad that ultimately you question how low an intellect do you require to like this.

Category wise top shows from my perspective

A: Comedy

1. Arrested development. (If this doesn't make you laugh, nothing ever will)
    2. Community
    3. Friends / Seinfeld (very close - both are kinda outdated if you watch now but still fun)

B: Epic / Adventure / History / Mystery

1. Game of Thrones
    2. Vikings
    3. Penny Dreadful
    4. Being Human (British version)

C: Zombie Apocalypse

1. Survivors (again British) - I do not rate The Walking Dead at all.

D: Crime

1. The Sopranos
    2. Breaking Bad (personally, I didn't find it an enjoyable read)

E: Science Fiction

1. Start Trek (Deep Space 9 + Voyager) Although Picard is famous, I don't like that Series
    2. Firefly (I don't know why and who canceled it. Greatest mystery of television for sure)
    3. Knight Rider (for the mere impact on pop culture, nothing matches it)

F: Animated

1. Cowboy Bebop
    2. Archer (Don't know why it's so underrated.)
    3. Full metal Alchemist (Death Note's first few episodes were beyond brilliant but overall its just meh)
    4. Avatar (Original), Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, etc (Japanese Pop culture. equally good)

G: Kids

1. Full House + The fuller House
    2. Adventure Time (It shouldn't be here but anyway let's just put it here as it's shown on CN)

H: Political + Detective + Serial Killer

1. Sherlock (The British Version)
    2. House of Cards
    3. True Detective (Dexter was good but it frittered away slowly)

I may remember some after this but for now this looks kinda complete to me.

zindagi tu hi mukhtasir ho ja, shab e gham mukhtasur nahi hoti

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    I kinda agree on The 100 however and this is the thing - the first season is rip roaring horrendous but the show starts picking up by the middle of the second one.

I watch it - it's horrible but it's improved or maybe I've gotten used to it.

The Shanara Chronicles on the other hand, starts with a powerful plot and continues to get worse. So bad that ultimately you question how low an intellect do you require to like this.

Category wise top shows from my perspective

A: Comedy

1. Arrested development. (If this doesn't make you laugh, nothing ever will)
    2. Community
    3. Friends / Seinfeld (very close - both are kinda outdated if you watch now but still fun)

B: Epic / Adventure / History / Mystery

1. Game of Thrones
    2. Vikings
    3. Penny Dreadful
    4. Being Human (British version)

C: Zombie Apocalypse

1. Survivors (again British) - I do not rate The Walking Dead at all.

D: Crime

1. The Sopranos
    2. Breaking Bad (personally, I didn't find it an enjoyable watch)

E: Science Fiction

1. Start Trek (Deep Space 9 + Voyager) Although Picard is famous, I don't like that Series
    2. Firefly (I don't know why and who canceled it. Greatest mystery of television for sure)
    3. Knight Rider (for the mere impact on pop culture, nothing matches it)

F: Animated

1. Cowboy Bebop
    2. Archer (Don't know why it's so underrated.)
    3. Full metal Alchemist (Death Note's first few episodes were beyond brilliant but overall its just meh)
    4. Avatar (Original), Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, etc (Japanese Pop culture. equally good)

G: Kids

1. Full House + The fuller House
    2. Adventure Time (It shouldn't be here but anyway let's just put it here as it's shown on CN)

H: Political + Detective + Serial Killer

1. Sherlock (The British Version)
    2. House of Cards
    3. True Detective (Dexter was good but it frittered away slowly)

I may remember some after this but for now this looks kinda complete to me.
    Edit:

How the hell did I miss "The Office".

Also some off beat shows for comedy.

1. An Idiot Abroad
    2. Top Gear (the greatest of them all TV show in all categories)
    3. Mind your language
    4. Fawlty Towers
    5. The Ricky Gervais Show (It's based on a podcast and is animated version of their podcast)

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Beijing, China
    Runs
    Mentioned
    313 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nothing beats the Wire.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have seen very few but till date, mine has to be Breaking Bad.

Season 1 to 4 were absolute masterpieces. Season 5 was good but not upto its usual standards.

Didn't watch Game of Thrones yet.
    Season 5 of Breaking Bad is the greatest season in TV history. Frickin 99 on metacritic

Don't save her
    She don't wanna be saved

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    Season 5 of Breaking Bad is the greatest season in TV history. Frickin 99 on metacritic
    Sure there were some great scenes in season 5 but the season wasn't as great as the prev episodes.

It looked greatest due to the build up of the prev seasons.

Not because of its standalone quality. It was still damn good but not the level of prev ones.

The whole Nazi group thingy...you knew things were gonna go predictably rogue way before it happened. Plus the last episode, White easily breaking into his billionaire friend's house was simply lazy writing.

Till the end part of season 4, Breaking Bad was an insane masterpiece. Almost flawless in its concept, writing & execution.

The ending of Season 4 was hurried and movie like which could have been better.

Anyways, maybe you felt different way which is fine.

As for critics, don't take them too seriously. Some of them are damn good but their collective judgement isn't always right.

Here's an example of what they are:

Rotten Tomatoes:

Breaking Bad Season 1 - 78% fresh (meaning 22% rated is NOT low but rotten - lower sample set but still)
    Breaking Bad Season 2 - 100% fresh (meaning 22% rated is NOT low but rotten)
    Breaking Bad Season 1 - 100% fresh (meaning 22% rated is NOT low but rotten)

How did that transformation happen?

Simple. BB was so widely acclaimed that it would look foolish to rate it rotten by season 2. In season 1, there was no peer pressure and these critics ran amok.

Critics are the ones who rate Hitchcock's Vertigo as CRAP when it releases and they swoon over it a few decades later.

Not saying they are always idiots but their collective judgement can't be always trusted.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 9th May 2016 at 07:28.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Correction...season 1-4 sample set of critics was the same.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Having watched and finished Breaking Bad about 3 years ago, I think people tend to overrate it a tad.

Looking forward to watching The Wire.

And damn it I wish they never cancelled the Hannibal series, it was awesome.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No 'Homeland' guys?

Key Difference between Sachin and Virat
    "Sachin loved batting, Virat loves Winning"

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Having watched and finished Breaking Bad about 3 years ago, I think people tend to overrate it a tad.

Looking forward to watching The Wire.

And damn it I wish they never cancelled the Hannibal series, it was awesome.
    Its worth the hype bud.

It was not directed but SCULPTED to perfection.

From season 1-4, I was mesmerized by both the story and the way it was directed.

The magic lies in the execution of the scenes.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 9th May 2016 at 09:35.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Names which are not mentioned yet are

Person Of Interest
    The Shield (Best ending to a series IMO)
    House MD

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    You lot are so Americanised!

1. Fawlty Towers
    (a vast, vast gulf then to the next one)

2. The Sopranos

3. Our Friends in the North

4. Seinfeld

5. The Inbetweeners

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    Names which are not mentioned yet are

Person Of Interest
    The Shield (Best ending to a series IMO)
    House MD
    House MD was one of my favorites for a while. great show but nothing beats The Flash.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Atm I'll go with

Drama

The Wire
    Game of Thrones
    Band of Brothers
    Breaking Bad
    The Sopranos

Reality

Survivor
    The Ultimate Fighter
    Man vs Wild
    Masterchef
    The Apprentice

Comedy

The King of Queens
    The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    Community
    Seinfeld
    Everybody Loves Raymond

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post

5. The Inbetweeners
    How could I forget this one? Amazing show,laugh riot really.Jay was just....

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    North side of Londonnn
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Bananas in pyjamas

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    How could I forget this one? Amazing show,laugh riot really.Jay was just....
    Yep, my twelve year old daughter greets us each morning with "Morning, b*nders!"

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its worth the hype bud.

It was not directed but SCULPTED to perfection.

From season 1-4, I was mesmerized by both the story and the way it was directed.

The magic lies in the execution of the scenes.
    I beg to disagree.

Breaking Bad is very much overrated. Let me explain

1. The character development was reserved for only one character.

2. The main story started well but became dull too soon. Saul was a more interesting character than Walter.

3. Good was so white - Bad was so black; where were the grey areas?

4. Too many story errors: King pin Mafia boss coming up because two of his men died ... bleh

I can go on and on but since you like the show to bits, it won't change anything.

Yes, a lot of the show was very well constructed and there were some good reveals but overall the show gets overrated because it's fashionable to say that it's the greatest show on TV.

And yes, you are right about the 5th season - It didn't even live up to the standards of the first four seasons.

Grandpa Mike and Saul though - good characters.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Yep, my twelve year old daughter greets us each morning with "Morning, b*nders!"
    Speaking of,one thing I noticed that in British comedy shows they tend to use a lot of mother and sister jokes which are almost non existent in the american ones.Is it because of cultural difference or what because some of them are downright offensive and could get you in a lot of trouble in other countries and esp in subcontinent.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    I beg to disagree.

Breaking Bad is very much overrated. Let me explain

1. The character development was reserved for only one character.

2. The main story started well but became dull too soon. Saul was a more interesting character than Walter.

3. Good was so white - Bad was so black; where were the grey areas?

4. Too many story errors: King pin Mafia boss coming up because two of his men died ... bleh

I can go on and on but since you like the show to bits, it won't change anything.

Yes, a lot of the show was very well constructed and there were some good reveals but overall the show gets overrated because it's fashionable to say that it's the greatest show on TV.

And yes, you are right about the 5th season - It didn't even live up to the standards of the first four seasons.

Grandpa Mike and Saul though - good characters.
    lol what

1. The character development is not a yardstick for how good a show is. It depends on the way the show is structured. A show like Friends needs equal character development but a show like BB only needs to development of characters as per their importance to the show.

Walter White's development was nothing short of brilliant.
    Jeese Pinkman evolved a lot.
    Skyler evolved.
    The evolution of the hank from a jolly fellow to a bitter guy (after accident) to a man on mission was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.
    The whole character of Gus Fring was amazing.

So there you go.

2. Main story got too dull?

I have nothing else to say mate. It didn't. It kept getting better.

Season 1 was all about Walter and Jesse getting going by finding their way. The frustrated interactions between those two from time to time was unbelievably executed well.

Season 2 was all about Walter and Jesse moving one setp forward and two steps backward. BB was crafted SO WELL that you were rooting for them to freaking sell meth but they kept running into some roadblocks. It was like you were going on a journey.

Then the Gus fring episodes. The tension reached the crescendo when Walter had to scramble and get the meth delivered on time. Then came the whole Walter helping Jesse but he himself got into trouble. Then came cartel whose episodes were fun and finally season 5 were Walter had to clean up the slates.

The story KEPT ON moving which is why people were crazy about it. Sure they may have been a few rare boring episodes but it was very very very uncommon.

3. Grey areas? The whole show was grey. No one was perfect.

4. Don't know which error you are talking about. A few small liberties are fine in the larger context.

Maybe its fashionable for some to say the show was greatest (there are people who do that) but from a pure writing, directing & execution point of view, BB is just fantastic and deserves all the hype.

What separates average shows from the great shows is NOT the story or character or details.

All those are important but it does not elevate a show.

What separates is how well each scene is directed, how much TENSION is imparted, how the energy flows in from one scene to the other, how the suspense builds up....basically the magic lies in the execution of simple scenes.

Those are building blocks of great movies or shows.

And BB has excelled in that.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 9th May 2016 at 13:37.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Uganda ji - Didn't you say in another thread you fast forward every show and watch it at supersonic speed?

If you did that, you are missing out a lot mate.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SL_Fan View Post
    Atm I'll go with

Drama

The Wire
    Game of Thrones
    Band of Brothers
    Breaking Bad
    The Sopranos

Reality

Survivor
    The Ultimate Fighter
    Man vs Wild
    Masterchef
    The Apprentice

Comedy

The King of Queens
    The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    Community
    Seinfeld
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    Also Parks and Recreation under comedy.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    SPOILERS

lol what

1. The character development is not a yardstick for how good a show is. It depends on the way the show is structured. A show like Friends needs equal character development but a show like BB only needs to development of characters as per their importance to the show.

Walter White's development was nothing short of brilliant.
    Jeese Pinkman evolved a lot.
    Skyler evolved.
    The evolution of the hank from a jolly fellow to a bitter guy (after accident) to a man on mission was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.
    The whole character of Gus Fring was amazing.

So there you go.

2. Main story got too dull?

I have nothing else to say mate. It didn't. It kept getting better.

Season 1 was all about Walter and Jesse getting going by finding their way. The frustrated interactions between those two from time to time was unbelievably executed well.

Season 2 was all about Walter and Jesse moving one setp forward and two steps backward. BB was crafted SO WELL that you were rooting for them to freaking sell meth but they kept running into some roadblocks. It was like you were going on a journey.

Then the Gus fring episodes. The tension reached the crescendo when Walter had to scramble and get the meth delivered on time. Then came the whole Walter helping Jesse but he himself got into trouble. Then came cartel whose episodes were fun and finally season 5 were Walter had to clean up the slates.

The story KEPT ON moving which is why people were crazy about it. Sure they may have been a few rare boring episodes but it was very very very uncommon.

3. Grey areas? The whole show was grey. No one was perfect.

4. Don't know which error you are talking about. A few small liberties are fine in the larger context.

Maybe its fashionable for some to say the show was greatest (there are people who do that) but from a pure writing, directing & execution point of view, BB is just fantastic and deserves all the hype.

What separates average shows from the great shows is NOT the story or character or details.

All those are important but it does not elevate a show.

What separates is how well each scene is directed, how much TENSION is imparted, how the energy flows in from one scene to the other, how the suspense builds up....basically the magic lies in the execution of simple scenes.

Those are building blocks of great movies or shows.

And BB has excelled in that.

The death of Gus Fring was Farcical at best. Half of his face falling away while the other remaining there - and he walking out of the door with half the face. Yes. Surely super believable.

A crime boss like Gus who wants to cover up his trail isn't known to 13 people. Flaw in the story. He didn't even need it. A guy like Mike could have handled all the details.

Now let me come to the grey areas

Not a single corrupt cop or official. In a city where there are crime bosses the size of Antarctica, not a single insider in the show.

That Nazi gang too was horrible at best.

Pinkman remained pinkman all through the show. Learned nothing - went no where. His entourage continued to remain stupid - just junkies who refused to change with the money. Criminals aren't stupid - they are sharper than the rest of us and they just continued to portray them as teenagers who went into the wrong field and were innocent wall flowers.

I do not for one second deny that some moments were brilliant beyond belief and I had to stand up and applaud but overall, the show gets more praise than it should.

Uganda ji - Didn't you say in another thread you fast forward every show and watch it at supersonic speed?

If you did that, you are missing out a lot mate.
    I do speed up shows but unfortunately, since I saw this show with someone, I didn't have the option to speed it up. Also saw it at a time where I wasn't really adept at speeding up shows.

Now I can watch stuff at 1.5x with ease and at 2x with subtitles.

A man is busy ... A man wishes to watch lots of stuff

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    SPOILERS

The death of Gus Fring was Farcical at best. Half of his face falling away while the other remaining there - and he walking out of the door with half the face. Yes. Surely super believable.

A crime boss like Gus who wants to cover up his trail isn't known to 13 people. Flaw in the story. He didn't even need it. A guy like Mike could have handled all the details.

Now let me come to the grey areas

Not a single corrupt cop or official. In a city where there are crime bosses the size of Antarctica, not a single insider in the show.

That Nazi gang too was horrible at best.

Pinkman remained pinkman all through the show. Learned nothing - went no where. His entourage continued to remain stupid - just junkies who refused to change with the money. Criminals aren't stupid - they are sharper than the rest of us and they just continued to portray them as teenagers who went into the wrong field and were innocent wall flowers.

I do not for one second deny that some moments were brilliant beyond belief and I had to stand up and applaud but overall, the show gets more praise than it should.

I do speed up shows but unfortunately, since I saw this show with someone, I didn't have the option to speed it up. Also saw it at a time where I wasn't really adept at speeding up shows.

1. That's why I said till ending of Season 4. The ending of Season 4 was movie esque.

2. Pinkman's character WAS stupid. Evolution does not mean stupid people become intelligent. Evolution of character means either change of approach or attitude or thinking ....Jesse's inner conflict and transformation to a guy who has lost hope was a damn good character development.

3. Pinkman was a mediocre meth producer who was pushed into the game by Walter. The whole premise of the show is about 2 guys dealing with stuff they shouldn't be dealing with.

4. Nazi gang was season 5 which took the sheen off BB a bit (which I said before too - season 5 was not as good) but still it was a marvellous season nonetheless.

5. Corrupt cops is all random criticism. BB does not become good or bad bcos they are in it. Plus the main focus was not with these guys dealing with the cops (unlike the case of Narcos).

That's why I explained what makes a movie or a TV show great. Its not these stuff but how EACH and every scene is crafted. In that area, BB wins big time.

I will give you an example.

One of Hitchcocks's highest ever rated movie is 39 steps.

Of all his movies, 39 steps is the most masala with a lot of hard to believe scenes.

Yet people rave about it and I believe it is Hitchcock's greatest movie (among the ones I have seen) because of the way he constructs each scene and makes the story flow. Amazing direction inspite logical flaws.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Star Trek original series
    Hill St Blues
    NYPD Blue
    Cardiac Arrest
    This Life
    Six Feet Under
    The Sopranos
    The Wire
    Breaking Bad
    Line of Duty
    True Detective season one

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Comedy programmes..... all British.

Dad's Army
    Fawlty Towers
    The Young Ones
    The Day Today
    Brass Eye
    Green Room
    The Office

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In no particular order:

Luther
    Mind your language
    Fawlty Tower
    Desmond's
    Friends
    Twin Peaks
    Sherlock
    Fraiser
    The Office (US)
    One Tree Hill

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But how can you enjoy it at that speed bro? Watching lot of stuff without enjoying i don't think it's a good deal you are missing some really good stuff.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But how can you enjoy it at that speed bro? Watching lot of stuff without enjoying i don't think it's a good deal you are missing some really good stuff.
    I think I have ADHD or something like that because I'm multitasking even when I'm watching a show.

I watched the whole Parks and Recreation in a few days - And I enjoyed it too.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I have ADHD or something like that because I'm multitasking even when I'm watching a show.

I watched the whole Parks and Recreation in a few days - And I enjoyed it too.
    You got some latest powerful processor installed in your brain i wish i can multitask ;)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You got some latest powerful processor installed in your brain i wish i can multitask ;)
    Attention span problems.

Right now - I'm on twitter, Pakpassion, studying a little, random chats on another social forum, and some other things as well like playing a flash game and so on.

Not a good thing to have