Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Captaincy has improved his game it seems. His avg is 60+ as Captain.

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    I find it hilarious that when someone actually performs (scores 100 = Kohli, takes 5-fers Ashwin) then people make 100 excuses to put them down. But when someone actually is not performing great (Amir) the same person will find a 100 excuses why (cloud, swing, etc.) I think thats caled hypocrisy
    Amir is no great Indians mostly suggest that tbh but yes he needs the clouds as much as Kohli needs the flat pitch but Amir hasn't had a horrid tour on flat pitches and has been decent if not spectacular while Kohli looked worse then a tailender when faced with a bit of lateral movement. What's nonsensical is advocating the greatness of Virat Kohli and putting him on a level playing field of past legends when his prowess has only been proven on flat pitches that too against bowling attacks that don't compare to that of yesteryear.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Amir is no great Indians mostly suggest that tbh but yes he needs the clouds as much as Kohli needs the flat pitch but Amir hasn't had a horrid tour on flat pitches and has been decent if not spectacular while Kohli looked worse then a tailender when faced with a bit of lateral movement. What's nonsensical is advocating the greatness of Virat Kohli and putting him on a level playing field of past legends when his prowess has only been proven on flat pitches that too against bowling attacks that don't compare to that of yesteryear.
    So if a batsman has a horrid tour he can never ever be considered a ATG irrespective of how much he improves later on his career?

Hmm..let me see that would certainly rule out Ponting. Averaged 3.4 in the 2001 India tour when every other Aussie batsman scored well and India had a really weak bowling attack. Also rules out Dravid, who averaged 14 in his first tour of Australia against McGrath and Warne. Hayden too, for he averaged 12 against South Africa in 4 Tests in the 1990s when Donald was at his peak.

Some of the Pakistani greats also don't feature too well on that metric. Inzamam scored 66 runs in 4 Tests at an average of 13 in his first tour of England. Javed Miandad scored 77 runs in 3 Tests at an average of 15.4 in his first tour of England. Younis Khan scored 31 runs in 3 Test matches at an average of 6.4 against the West Indies in 2000. Zaheer Abbas scored 35 runs in 3 Test matches at an average of 7.00 in his first tour of New Zealnd.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol there was never any doubt let's be honest

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Lol there was never any doubt let's be honest
    The funny thing is, everyone knows it. But a few in this forum/thread are too biased against him (He is Indian) And their ego doesnt allow them to accept the truth and give credit where its absolutely necessary.

Its a good laugh though. Its ridiculous sometimes. Trolls!

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Still a long way to go for ATG tag in the test format. Potential is there, but needs to continue scoring heavily for few years. He does want to play bigger knocks now and I think that's a huge improvement.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His self awareness is incredible. If there's any doubt/weakness in his game, he never lets it linger or become an issue. Addresses it straight away. Very, very unique talent.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a chance.. He won't suppress VVS Laxman

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Virat's wrist-work against spin is just phenomenal.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not Atg , will need to do more, but he is on the way, already 15 hundreds in 52 test matches.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Fortress Europe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    Virat already has left VVS far behind.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has just entered his test peak.

If he can maintain this form for another 4-5 years, i will rank him among the top 3 batsmen from Asia.

Remember, out of his 15 tons only one has come against borderline minnows WI (and that too away) so he hasn't feasted on rubbish attacks.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gani999 View Post
    Virat already has left VVS far behind.
    Both far from the truth.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cric_fanatic View Post
    The funny thing is, everyone knows it. But a few in this forum/thread are too biased against him (He is Indian) And their ego doesnt allow them to accept the truth and give credit where its absolutely necessary.

Its a good laugh though. Its ridiculous sometimes. Trolls!
    @Mamoon summed it up well. From the look in Kohli's eyes you could tell he was a special player and a future great.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just seems like since the 2nd innings of the 2nd test against NZ, he has entered a different league as a batsman. The league that makes an ATG. I don't want to jinx him, but every time he goes out to bat he is expected to score a hundred. As a Indian fan, he gives me a sense of security, which tbh, I didn't completely get from even Sachin or Dravid. There is a sense of inevitability about him. If he carries on this way, I feel he would become an even better test batsman than an LOI batsman....and thats scary!

I dont know what it was in that 2nd innings of the 2nd test vs NZ, but that felt like the start of a new Virat. He didn't score many then, I think it was a 45ish when everyone else was getting out. The pitch had variable bounce, and no one except Kohli looked in control.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I expect Kohli to score around 40-45 100's in tests and slightly more in Odi cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    I expect Kohli to score around 40-45 100's in tests and slightly more in Odi cricket.
    Won't be able to play enough games to get 40-45 tests hundreds.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Kohli needs Sanga like form for next couple of years to be rated as Test ATG.

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    I think he will end up with 90-95 hundreds overall.

Sachin could have got 130 hundreds if not for getting out in 90s. That would have been unbreakable like Don's 99.99. Still 100 centuries is no easy feat.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    200 for 3rd double hundred this year .congratulations

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely not an ATG right now. Extremely far from it but has a 90% chance of becoming an ATG by the end of his career. Hope he continues to score heavily outside SC like he has done so previously in Australia.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virat Kohli was already miles better than KW, Root, Smith in LOI's even though they are phenomenal but this spark in Tests makes him the best batsman in the world by far. Hash and AB were tough competitors but with Amla's decline and AB missing some games and age catching up, not too sure about that.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark my words. this chap will light it up in England next time. Too bad its quite some time away. This guy is greatness already!

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    He has surpassed Williamson and Root for me.

Smith is slightly ahead

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AbdullahSalman View Post
    Virat Kohli was already miles better than KW, Root, Smith in LOI's even though they are phenomenal but this spark in Tests makes him the best batsman in the world by far. Hash and AB were tough competitors but with Amla's decline and AB missing some games and age catching up, not too sure about that.
    Lets count him out. 1 series does not make a decline.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    Lets count him out. 1 series does not make a decline.
    I would agree. What I was trying to say is, Virat Kohli is at the top when looking at all formats combined (excluding t/20's because he has no competition there) and probably the only person who would come close to him would be Hashim Amla but the unfortunate truth is, Hashim Amla's last test ton came 10 innings ago. 5 matches. He averaged 50, though. Now, I'm not saying those are bad numbers, they're pretty good but not good enough by Amla's own standards and especially not good if he has to compete with VK for the spot of being the best batsman in the world. However, I sincerely hope that this was just a small slump in form and not a decline.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virat Kohli will go on to become one of the greatest batsman the game has seen if not already . .

For me, he already is the greatest ever ODI batsman! (Considering the amount of games he has won for India . . from nowhere . . single handedly)

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I think Virat Kohli is starting to win me over, there may not have been lateral movement nor would there have been much swing/seam and excessive bounce but he was under pressure coming in and put his team in a commanding position to win this Test so I respek that

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virat Kohli will not only be an ATG bat in Test cricket, he will be an ATG captain as well. He will end up with no less than 50 wins as Test Captain and I'm sure India is going to remain number 1 for the next 3-4 years at least. The team that he currently has on his hands is all within their "peak performance" age bracket. Plus the fact that Kohli is an incredible student of the game coupled with ruthless aggression makes me believe he's going to win lots and lots of Test matches (abroad as well). Only a matter of time when he leads India to its maiden series win in Australia. The test at Adelaide where he decided to go for the chase on the last day did it for me for him as a captain.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a captain he is going to reach great heights.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/spor...i-1548275.html

Importance of personal milestones has diminished: Kohli
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 12th December 2016 at 13:39.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Order your humble pie here