Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Babar Azam vs Lokesh Rahul

Name:  collage_20160530164238008.jpg
Views: 10331
Size:  276.5 KB

Yes, it's that time of the year. Yeah, you guessed it right. It's time for another Ind vs Pak player comparison thread. This time we have two great future prospects in Babar Azam and Lokesh Rahul. Both are exciting and young talented batsmen. Both have made their debuts for their respective countries in different formats. Both are technically good and are impressive stroke players.

Babar Azam:

Babar Azam made his ODI debut exactly an year ago at Lahore against Zimbabwe. Since then he has been a stable batsman in a shaky batting line up. The former Pakistan U19 captain has been earmarked as the future of the Pakistan batting line up.

Career highlight:

Making consecutive ODI fifties (62, 83) in his very first tour to New Zealand against a pacy attack of Trent Boult, Matt Henry, Adam Milne and Mitchell McClenaghan. Eventhough he ended up in the losing side, Babar showed glimpses of what's to come in the future with those two impressive innings.

Lokesh Rahul:

KL Rahul made his international debut in India's test tour of Australia in the december of 2014 after an injury to Shikhar Dhawan. Since then, he has impressed whenever he has got a chance to open for the Indian test team. The Karnataka lad has been a prolific run scorer for his side in the Ranji trophy and was one of the key players for Karnataka which saw the side win back to back Ranji trophies.

Career highlight:

Scoring a ton at Sydney in his 2nd Test against Australia. He followed it up with another ton in the Sri Lankan tour. However, he has had some low scores in between but to his defence, he hasn't been a regular in the Indian Test team.

Stats comparison:

Babar Azam:
    Name:  2016-05-30 15.34.01.jpg
Views: 9028
Size:  18.0 KB

KL Rahul:
    Name:  2016-05-30 15.36.43.jpg
Views: 9214
Size:  18.0 KB

As of now, Rahul has very good first class stats but has had an inconsistent start to his Test career. Babar Azam has better List A stats and has had a very good start to his ODI career while Rahul is yet to make his ODI debut for India. However Rahul showed signs of a great LOI potential in this year's IPL being second in run scorers only to Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers in his side. At this stage, both have got very low sample sets in their international careers and it's more about who has got a better potential and a higher ceiling.

Who is your pick between the two and who do you think will have the better career?
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 30th May 2016 at 12:44.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Babar might be more talented and better at this stage, but India develops their batsmen much better.

In addition, Rahul will play around players like Kohli and Rahane while Babar is surrounded by not a single great ODI player and in Tests, limited batsmen like Younis, Misbah and Azhar.

If Babar develops better than Rahul and has a better career, then it means that he is much more gifted than Rahul.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 30th May 2016 at 12:38.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's have this comparison when babar has played test matches.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahul is a very good batsmen. In tests, he will achieve the stature of Kohli, Rahane and Vijay if gets a run for a decent period.

He seems to be a good limited over batsmen too and along with Manish Pandey he will find a permanent spot in the team after Dhoni retirement.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Rahul seems to have ability to play long innings and keep his concentration.

Doubt Babar will have the same concentration power

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Too early to say.

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Let's have this comparison when babar has played test matches.
    Rahul hasn't played LOIs too. It's easy to compare using stats when both have played a sizeable amount of matches. Everybody can compare using stats. But comparing based on unseen potential is the difficult job. So start comparing

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    India are also better at developing batsman than us. Babar needs to avoid distractions and concentrate on his game. Both should be able to play tests and odis, KL will depend on if Indian selectors will drop dhwaan. But KL should open in tests and already has scored a century in Australia. Both have made good starts in different formats

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    Rahul hasn't played LOIs too. It's easy to compare using stats when both have played a sizeable amount of matches. Everybody can compare using stats. But comparing based on unseen potential is the difficult job. So start comparing
    You develop batsmen better than us tbh. Babar has good technique but panics after a few dot balls needs to correct that. KL has improved his shot range and also has the ability to play long innings. KL just ahead for now

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never heard of Lokesh. Seems like a premature comparison.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar Azam doesn't have a good FC record. Overrated.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When it comes to pure potential its Babar hands down. For me he is the best under 24 batting prospect in the subcontinent along with Soumya Sarkar. Used to think that way about Sanju Samson but he is regressing for some reason. However people have mentioned that we dont develop batsmen well and that could be a problem.

"Our business is our business. None of your business" - Race 3

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    Never heard of Lokesh. Seems like a premature comparison.
    Someone can say the same for Babar as well..

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    When it comes to pure potential its Babar hands down. For me he is the best under 24 batting prospect in the subcontinent along with Soumya Sarkar. Used to think that way about Sanju Samson but he is regressing for some reason. However people have mentioned that we dont develop batsmen well and that could be a problem.
    Sarkar is heavily overrated. He only has good hand-eye coordination.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lokesh Rahul, very impressive technique and has a century on his debut Aus tour. Babar really needs to improve his FC stats which are very bad.

Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood [Mindless Sloggers]

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The two appear a bit in contrasts of each other. Rahul is a phenomenal player in Ranji trophy and has been among the leading scorers for a few years now. However his international career hasn't been consistent, in a short sample set admittedly. Rahul's domestic record indicates he is a better Test batsman than LOI one.

Babar's first class career has been not so impressive and his domestic record indicates he is a better LOI player than Test batsman by all accounts. But he has had a very good start to his LOI international career and it remains to be seen how he performs in the longer format.

I haven't seen too much of Babar except the NZ series where he looked a solid batsman and impressive. I've seen Rahul play Tests in Australia and Sri Lanka, but ironically, I've been more impressed of him in this IPL with a great range of stroke play and looked an aggressive LOI opener.

Will be interesting to see both careers.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Sarkar is heavily overrated. He only has good hand-eye coordination.
    Sarkar is already strugling in LOIS and I dont think he will be a great test player.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar suffering from brain lapse (which seems an incurable disease for Pak batsmen) so It won't be a surprise if this thread becomes Umar Akmal vs Virat Kohli type comparison thread..

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I saw KL batting in the IPL. He may get the runs and what not.

But

Babar is ten times as classy, and we all know that is the only thing that matters

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    Babar suffering from brain lapse (which seems an incurable disease for Pak batsmen) so It won't be a surprise if this thread becomes Umar Akmal vs Virat Kohli type comparison thread..
    He really needs to learn. Umar had way more potential than him and look where he stands. I really fear Babar can go down the same route because so far he has shown he has issues with his concentration.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never seen Lokesh play....in fact the only thing I remember about him is that he was down with dengue fever and Dhawan replaced him in some Indian tour....but judging purely on Stats I think Babar is ahead in List-A because Lokesh's strike rate is really low although average is OK.....and Lokesh will take the edge over Babar in FC.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    Good point, no wonder his FC record is average.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lokesh rahul has better basics ,better outside off and better head position. His running is considerably better than babar azam. In the long run rahul will turn out to bea better batsman.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Last Of The Stars View Post
    Good point, no wonder his FC record is average.
    Still young at FC level , unfortunately though he is the best young batsman in pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Hyderabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The first impression I can get looking at their domestic stats is that Rahul is more a test player while Azam is more a LOI player. Never seen Azam play but heard he is the next big thing from Pakistan. On the other hand, Rahul is nowhere near our playing XI and depends on injuries to make it into the team. Very interesting comparison. I'd like to see how the careers of these two would have shaped in 2 years of time..

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Couple of seasons/years may give better idea about Rahul, he looks a bit raw. (Even Pujara who showed 10 times more promise couldn't live up to the exception and time is running out... Also India are not playing enough test matches/test matches being masked by T20s)

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar is only 21 while Rahul is 24, I know age doesn't really matter but Rahul is a bit ahead in his development.

Btw Babar played against this guy named Chand during under 19s, what happened to him, he scored a century in the final and everyone though that he was going to be the next kohli

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    Still young at FC level , unfortunately though he is the best young batsman in pakistan.
    He is not, it's Haris Sohail.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haris is 27 and is away from game for a while now. We will have to reassess him after he makes a comeback. So far babar has played better than him in odis.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haris is overrated IMO. But this is the standard of Pakistani batsmen. Not the prettiest batsman to watch either.

From what I have seen, Babar seems to be more composed & fluent at the crease.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2039 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Though sample is not good enough, talent wise Babar is ahead, but i know how how our system destroys cricketers, and under Indian system Lokesh will develop good. Also this kid got is made for longer innings.

At this i want both of them to become good players for their teams, and consistent selection for their teams.

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar Azam doesn't have a good FC record. Overrated.
    He already has a 100 vs Aussie attack in UAE in a 4 day (or 3 day) practice match.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    Haris is 27 and is away from game for a while now. We will have to reassess him after he makes a comeback. So far babar has played better than him in odis.
    He hasn't played better than him in ODIs. Babar must be 25 as well.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliance View Post
    He already has a 100 vs Aussie attack in UAE in a 4 day (or 3 day) practice match.
    So what? That Aussie attack wasn't good. His overall record is rubbish.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haris is overrated IMO. But this is the standard of Pakistani batsmen. Not the prettiest batsman to watch either.

From what I have seen, Babar seems to be more composed & fluent at the crease.
    I think otherwise.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahul is slightly ahead,atm.But I think Babar has more potential.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think otherwise.
    I agree.

Eventhough Haris probably doesn't have the stats of Babar, I find him more impressive. He was good in the short cameo against India. He has to improve his fitness though.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sohail isn't exactly young he is pushing 28 and no where near the side ATM..

Who knows how he will be after not having played cricket for over a year.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree.

Eventhough Haris probably doesn't have the stats of Babar, I find him more impressive. He was good in the short cameo against India. He has to improve his fitness though.
    What? Check Haris Sohail's FC statistics. Also he averages above 40 and 30 in List A and T20s, respectively, which is ideal.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Sohail isn't exactly young he is pushing 28 and no where near the side ATM..

Who knows how he will be after not having played cricket for over a year.

Babar may also be 26.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Babar Azam vs Lokesh Rahul

Babar may also be 26.
    Exaggeration

Going by that logic...Haris 34.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What? Check Haris Sohail's FC statistics. Also he averages above 40 and 30 in List A and T20s, respectively, which is ideal.
    I was talking about their international stats.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Then that makes Haris 34
    Lol you beat me to it

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Since the beginning of 2013, he has played 4 FC matches. And after Jan 2014, he hasn't played a single FC match.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    KL is a wristy player just like Kohli and can hit huge sixes too. Him, along with Pandey, will be the future of Indian ODI team. KL's technique looks pleasing and is, certainly, a better talent than Babar.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exaggeration

Going by that logic...Haris 34.
    27 falls into the young category, borderline young.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    KL is a wristy player just like Kohli and can hit huge sixes too. Him, along with Pandey, will be the future of Indian ODI team. KL's technique looks pleasing and is, certainly, a better talent than Babar.
    Nitish Rana is better.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Since the beginning of 2013, he has played 4 FC matches. And after Jan 2014, he hasn't played a single FC match.
    If he gets fit, he will take his average further upwards, such is his talent.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If he gets fit, he will take his average further upwards, such is his talent.
    Sure, he might, but it will take him time to get re-accustomed to FC cricket... you don't just take a couple of years off and come back in the same condition. Things will have changed for him. I also hope he reacts positively and is able to improve.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what's wrong with Sarkar. He is out of form for a while. Shabbir is way ahead of him nd consistent in all format.

On topic: Babar in limited overs Rahul in Test. Rahul has only thing for him is association with Kohli. Other wise he wouldn't get selected. There are other better talents playing and waiting.

Forgive when you are on top. Don't you want to be forgiven?

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Babar is better than Haris, who is also very good.

Should be our No. 3 and 4 long-term.

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Really? Then that explains the inflated average.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I saw KL batting in the IPL. He may get the runs and what not.

But

Babar is ten times as classy, and we all know that is the only thing that matters

Not sure about that

His IPL & Test approach is very different.

"KL Rahul is, in my opinion, a man destined to play for India. He hasn't quite scored the runs he would have liked this year, but I've seen a few batsmen in my career and he is serious class. I don't believe in curses or jinxes which is why I'm happy to express my opinion about him. It may not happen this year, or even next, but I expect him to play for his country under MS Dhoni at some point."

~ Dale Steyn (2013).

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BD-fan View Post
    I don't know what's wrong with Sarkar. He is out of form for a while. Shabbir is way ahead of him nd consistent in all format.

On topic: Babar in limited overs Rahul in Test. Rahul has only thing for him is association with Kohli. Other wise he wouldn't get selected. There are other better talents playing and waiting.
    In the Indian test team?Would surely make it into the team once Dhawan,Sharma are shown the door.

Rahul along with Pandey upcoming future.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kl Rahul will obviously become the better batsman and human being while Babar will always be the more talented one. Jai Shri Ram

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rahul has improved his batting in IPL atleast so hopefully he can figure out a way to be in the LOI in future.
    Not sure too early a comparison yet but i would back Rahul for now in tests and Azam for LOI.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abhilash93 View Post
    Not sure about that

His IPL & Test approach is very different.

"KL Rahul is, in my opinion, a man destined to play for India. He hasn't quite scored the runs he would have liked this year, but I've seen a few batsmen in my career and he is serious class. I don't believe in curses or jinxes which is why I'm happy to express my opinion about him. It may not happen this year, or even next, but I expect him to play for his country under MS Dhoni at some point."

~ Dale Steyn (2013).
    When did he say this? I mean the event..

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When did he say this? I mean the event..
    I think 2 seasons back when Rahul was with SRH

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Not many young Pak batters have gone to NZ and delivered straight away. Babar is immense talent.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahul is technically better , in his early days in U-19 he was compared to Rahul Dravid for his technique . He was hyped quite a bit in age group days , played some sold knocks for India in difficult conditions . The hyped died a bit when we struggling to make a permanent spot in Karnataka side which already had a strong batting linup , but the last 2-3 seasons he was one of the big reasons Karnataka won Ranji , Irani and Duleep trophy . I will be surprised if he does not bcom a 50+ avg batsmen for India .

Babar , have always rated him highly , hes got a very good all round game . The flip side is hes got the same weakness as Akmal brother , plays his shots away from his body , but to a much lesser extent . I think he will be a long term No3 in ODI's and No4 in Tests for Pakistan . He will be a more successful ODI bat than in Tests imo though .

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn't played better than him in ODIs. Babar must be 25 as well.
    So haris must be what 31 then? Not a youngster in that case. And yes babar has played better than him.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Babar's got much more ability.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anis10 View Post

Btw Babar played against this guy named Chand during under 19s, what happened to him, he scored a century in the final and everyone though that he was going to be the next kohli
    He's not developed yet, have average season so far! can't see him breaking in to Indian team near future!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahul is very inconsistent. He had his share of brain fads and I think he shouldn't be over estimated based on a few IPL innings. I remember his dismissal in his first test. Dropped at 0 and was out slogging the next ball for a duck. He was dropped on a very low score in Sydney before his 100. In SL, his twin dismissals (bowled I think) while shouldering arms indicates that his judgement isn't that good. I never considered him an LOI bat considering his boring knocks while he was part of SRH. He seems to prosper on his home track in Bangalore where the pitch is the flattest in the country. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I assume majority of his FC runs are in B'lore as well.

Babar is talented and has performed well so far in LOIs. He doesn't get bogged down much and is a free flowing batsman. The pressure on Babar is very high and he coped well so far.

At this point, Babar beats Rahul hands down. But, as someone said, India grooms their batsmen well. Rahul has a huge contingent that can support him to get to the next level. Babar needs to counter the mediocrity around him, the politics in the team, the expectations of the fans to get to another level. The odds are against him. Have to wait and see how this pans out.
    Last edited by rhony; 30th May 2016 at 19:21.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    919 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lokesh is part of a better system.

It's why at U19 level Nasir Jamshed and Rohit Sharma were around the same level, in fact, for a period of time Jamshed was ahead of Rohit as an ODI batsman, but because Rohit was part of a better system, he surpassed him.

So if history and Umar Akmal v Virat Kohli thread is anything to go by, Rahul might go past him.

But as it stands now I'd say Babar-e-Azam is better

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar might be more talented and better at this stage, but India develops their batsmen much better.

In addition, Rahul will play around players like Kohli and Rahane while Babar is surrounded by not a single great ODI player and in Tests, limited batsmen like Younis, Misbah and Azhar.

If Babar develops better than Rahul and has a better career, then it means that he is much more gifted than Rahul.
    haha i thought Azhar was your favorite?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    In the Indian test team?Would surely make it into the team once Dhawan,Sharma are shown the door.

Rahul along with Pandey upcoming future.
    Rohit and Dhawan is not going anywhere. Pujara and Rahane are class above. They have already delivered. And then the young ones (From the U-19) are immensely talented as well. Kohli's (captain) team-mate is his biggest endorsement just like Jadeja-Dhoni.

Forgive when you are on top. Don't you want to be forgiven?

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I never hype up Pakistani batsmen but Babar is the future of our batting

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lokesh should be given a go.. I mean how bad can it get compared to rohit and dhawan ?

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    Lokesh should be given a go.. I mean how bad can it get compared to rohit and dhawan ?
    I would go on a carb only diet to have Rohit in my ODI team.. How can you be so ungrateful

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would go on a carb only diet to have Rohit in my ODI team.. How can you be so ungrateful
    Talking about test mate

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    Talking about test mate
    I understand now

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I never hype up Pakistani batsmen but Babar is the future of our batting
    A familiar term here on PP

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    Rahul is very inconsistent. He had his share of brain fads and I think he shouldn't be over estimated based on a few IPL innings. I remember his dismissal in his first test. Dropped at 0 and was out slogging the next ball for a duck. He was dropped on a very low score in Sydney before his 100. In SL, his twin dismissals (bowled I think) while shouldering arms indicates that his judgement isn't that good. I never considered him an LOI bat considering his boring knocks while he was part of SRH. He seems to prosper on his home track in Bangalore where the pitch is the flattest in the country. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I assume majority of his FC runs are in B'lore as well.

Babar is talented and has performed well so far in LOIs. He doesn't get bogged down much and is a free flowing batsman. The pressure on Babar is very high and he coped well so far.

At this point, Babar beats Rahul hands down. But, as someone said, India grooms their batsmen well. Rahul has a huge contingent that can support him to get to the next level. Babar needs to counter the mediocrity around him, the politics in the team, the expectations of the fans to get to another level. The odds are against him. Have to wait and see how this pans out.
    Rahul is not rated cos of his IPL performances , its his U-19 and then Domestic showing which got him a call into the Indian side.

you couldn't be more wrong . if you watched his domestic season , he scored most of his runs on difficult pitches . And Karnataka does not play on these flat pitches ( half the time they dont plat in Bangalore either ) in domestic , its always made to assist its seamers .

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Somewhere from Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From what I have seen Babar seems to be more talented than Rahul

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    haha i thought Azhar was your favorite?
    I like Azhar, but why should I make him something that he is not?

He is a limited batsman and not top tier material.

Top tier batsmen are the likes of Kohli, Root, Smith, Williamson, Mathews etc. I never said Azhar is in their league.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like Azhar, but why should I make him something that he is not?

He is a limited batsman and not top tier material.

Top tier batsmen are the likes of Kohli, Root, Smith, Williamson, Mathews etc. I never said Azhar is in their league.
    He's the 2nd tier right? Personally think he will go down as a very good test match batsmen for us

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He's the 2nd tier right? Personally think he will go down as a very good test match batsmen for us
    He just about gets into tier-2.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He just about gets into tier-2.
    He's played some good knocks for us, on his 1st tour of England he didn't too badly think he will do well this time. Anderson called azhar a world class batsmen before our uae series. So he's well respected

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He's played some good knocks for us, on his 1st tour of England he didn't too badly think he will do well this time. Anderson called azhar a world class batsmen before our uae series. So he's well respected
    English players respect Azhar Ali. He has a classical English technique which he developed by playing club cricket in Scotland early in his career and is an old school Test cricketer which the English prefer.

Also, he has played some good knocks against them.

I'm hopeful that he will score at least one hundred in the series. He negotiates the new ball better than anyone in the country and has very good discipline.

It will be great to see him on the Lord's Honor Board.