Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookiewookie View Post
    Very interesting - sample size of just over 12K people - was this UK wide or did they focus on specific cities?
    While the sample is small, the fact educated, A-list University cities and developed urban centers in Oxford, London, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow all voted Remain (and most by a big margin) while the rest went the other way re-enforces the survey.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Englistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    While the sample is small, the fact educated, A-list University cities and developed urban centers in Oxford, London, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow all voted Remain (and most by a big margin) while the rest went the other way re-enforces the survey.
    Would be nice to know where the survey was conducted before drawing that correlation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Would be nice to know where the survey was conducted before drawing that correlation.

We can make easily make the correlation by looking at the survey i.e. uneducated people voted for Leave and then look at real voting patterns i.e. non-Urban or cities with no proper universities (and hilariously highest amount of EU funding) voting to leave.

Its basic common sense.
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 26th June 2016 at 00:45.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Birmingham which is also an A-list University City and has a very developed Urban Center was for Brexit as was Sheffield which also fulfills that criteria.

As for London Barking & Dagenham was a huge Brexit area.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can make easily make the correlation by looking at the survey i.e. uneducated people voted for Leave and then look at real voting patterns i.e. non-Urban or cities with no proper universities (and hilariously highest amount of EU funding) voting to leave.

Its basic common sense.
    Is there a list regarding that?
    As far as I know Wales is a net gainer from the EU.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mani1 View Post
    Birmingham which is also an A-list University City and has a very developed Urban Center was for Brexit as was Sheffield which also fulfills that criteria.

As for London Barking & Dagenham was a huge Brexit area.
    Compared to five six cities which dont. Brum was very close.

London 95% of it voted remain too.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Is there a list regarding that?
    As far as I know Wales is a net gainer from the EU.
    A graph posted in the previous pages.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    not sure which ones you are referring to as only been a member for a couple of months, feel free to post the links yourself - looking forward to them.
    I wasn't referring to you specifically, I was thinking more along the lines of pop up restaurants. Sorry if there was any confusion.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compared to five six cities which dont. Brum was very close.

London 95% of it voted remain too.
    London was 60% for remain.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ndum.html?_r=0

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind you were talking about the Boroughs lol

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.5 million people are demanding 2nd referendum. That is a huge number. I think it should be held again since turnout was too low for the last one.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Iam sorry, don't know why I wrote that. What I meant was one borough within London doesn't mean much when the city voted remain

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saeed View Post
    2.5 million people are demanding 2nd referendum. That is a huge number. I think it should be held again since turnout was too low for the last one.
    17.4 million voted to leave

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Oxymoron there

And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    17.4 million voted to leave
    16 million voted to remain with 75 percent turnout. Decision also effects the whole EU, 17 million shouldn't be able to decide their fate.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    16 million voted to remain with 75 percent turnout. Decision also effects the whole EU, 17 million shouldn't be able to decide their fate.
    Why? It's a democracy and everyone was made aware of what would happen prior to the referendum.

You want to trigger riots and more ugly stuff like Jo Cox's murder. Blatantly rejecting the result of the referendum will do that.

2.5 million signatures are all presumably part of the 16 million which lost the referendum.

The only reasonable basis for a second referendum would be a party taking it to the general election as it's platform and winning.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They voted to leave why do they need another voting. Vote is right that should be excercised carefully. This is not like WG grace batting where you can put the bails back on after getting bowled.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even terrorist groups are supporting the departure of Britain from EU. You know you're illogical when terrorists are on your side.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even terrorist groups are supporting the departure of Britain from EU. You know you're illogical when terrorists are on your side.
    Link?

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dayvancowboy View Post
    Link?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...9b7c9?section=
    Read the article, 15th paragraph.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2nd referendum? 72% was a strong turnout. The best for 25 years. The only number that matters is the extra million people who voted Leave on the day. This is some serious straw-clutching sore loser behaviour from Remain supporters.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    2nd referendum? 72% was a strong turnout. The best for 25 years. The only number that matters is the extra million people who voted Leave on the day. This is some serious straw-clutching sore loser behaviour from Remain supporters.
    The problem is that the Leave campaign had said that if it's a close vote (let's say a 55-45) then that won't be the end of their campaign and that they will push for a second referendum. I don't agree either way but it would be a bit hypocritical of the Leave camp to raise flags on such a demand when they themselves had made clear that in the event of a close vote this would be their mode of action.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    The problem is that the Leave campaign had said that if it's a close vote (let's say a 55-45) then that won't be the end of their campaign and that they will push for a second referendum. I don't agree either way but it would be a bit hypocritical of the Leave camp to raise flags on such a demand when they themselves had made clear that in the event of a close vote this would be their mode of action.
    I think it's Farage who said that in the event of a 52:48 split which it was but the other way around but he wasn't in the official Leave campaign nor is he an MP.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting analysis from Lord Ashcroft's poll on how the UK voted, however his sample size seems small.It seems as if British Pakistanis voted 70:30 in favour of Remain not much different from other desis.

White voters voted to leave the EU by 53% to 47%. Two thirds (67%) of those describing themselves as Asian voted to remain, as did three quarters (73%) of black voters. Nearly six in ten (58%) of those describing themselves as Christian voted to leave; seven in ten Muslims voted to remain.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irfan View Post
    I think it's Farage who said that in the event of a 52:48 split which it was but the other way around but he wasn't in the official Leave campaign nor is he an MP.
    Spot on @irfan

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Englistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. This is not how democracy works. You don't keep voting until you get the decision you want.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guys nails it, just saw this

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Englistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irfan View Post
    This guys nails it, just saw this
    Yup - in line with what I have been saying all along. I like his comparison between Scotland and Greece - difference being that Greece has better food, better looking people and much better weather

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nope. This is not how democracy works. You don't keep voting until you get the decision you want.
    So you don't know about Demank voting "No" and then voting "Yes" in two referendums on ratification of the Treaty of Maastricht, or Ireland voting "No" in June 2008 and voting "Yes" a year later regarding ratification of the Treaty of Lisbon? I suggest you go and do some research.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Englistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iam sorry, don't know why I wrote that. What I meant was one borough within London doesn't mean much when the city voted remain
    City doesn't mean much when the overall union voted leave - get over it and be part of working to build the future of the country.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Englistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    So you don't know about Demank voting "No" and then voting "Yes" in two referendums on ratification of the Treaty of Maastricht, or Ireland voting "No" in June 2008 and voting "Yes" a year later regarding ratification of the Treaty of Lisbon? I suggest you go and do some research.
    Not taking lectures from a broken record.

The country has spoken - we move on.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Petition for 2nd refrendum has 3 million signatures now. Lets see what the government has to say.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The remain side lost.

A second referendum is a pipe dream the in campaigners can cling to until the reality sets in!!

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What suprises me is that the EUropean leaders, EU, Tusk....the whole circus now talk about reforming the EU.....NOW??!!

What where they doing during the entire campaign. For one moment if they had accepted the fact that a closer Union might not be every ones cup of tea and fixing a broken system should be priority, people would have been convinced that maybe the EU could change for the better.

Instead they threaten Britain with all sorts of red tape, tough negotiations, economic doom etc...etc...Now the people have decided the EU dinosaur gets in motion, everyone accepts reform is inevitable!!

Now let us wait and watch what EU actually does, or France and Greece will be next. The EU was a novel idea that bound countries on the basis of economic unity, but today it is repulsed due to bureaucracy, red tape, regulations, lethargy and I could go on......Good Riddance!

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Englistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New PM 'should come from Leave camp'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36633595

"But I do think it would be very, very difficult for the public who have voted for leaving the European Union to find that they then had a prime minister who actually was opposed to leaving the European Union.

"So I think it is quite clear that - at least the leadership end of it - but I would like all the others, Remain and us, to come together."

Mr Duncan Smith also ruled himself out of the future Conservative leadership contest.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Englistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brexit: 'Half' of Labour top team set to resign

Up to half of the shadow cabinet is set to resign in a bid to oust Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, it is understood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36632956

Good riddance to bad rubbish - Labour need a major reboot as their politics is outdated & irrelevant.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Greg Hands MP hearing that the Polish Centre in Hammersmith has been smeared with "Go Home". Describes it as "an unspeakable crime and is indescribably awful" on Twitter.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    IDS is a disgraceful liar, saying he never said "£350m would be spent on the NHS" which is what Farage also said on GMB on Friday morning. What the hell was this then:

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Petition for 2nd refrendum has 3 million signatures now. Lets see what the government has to say.
    it will be no.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
    What suprises me is that the EUropean leaders, EU, Tusk....the whole circus now talk about reforming the EU.....NOW??!!

What where they doing during the entire campaign. For one moment if they had accepted the fact that a closer Union might not be every ones cup of tea and fixing a broken system should be priority, people would have been convinced that maybe the EU could change for the better.

Instead they threaten Britain with all sorts of red tape, tough negotiations, economic doom etc...etc...Now the people have decided the EU dinosaur gets in motion, everyone accepts reform is inevitable!!

Now let us wait and watch what EU actually does, or France and Greece will be next. The EU was a novel idea that bound countries on the basis of economic unity, but today it is repulsed due to bureaucracy, red tape, regulations, lethargy and I could go on......Good Riddance!
    You should wave goodbye to the United Kingdom first. Its status right now is advanced disintegration.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it will be no.
    Sure. Scottish people will be real angry if their votes are rejected this way.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Sure. Scottish people will be real angry if their votes are rejected this way.
    Why does the vote of Scotland matter more than the vote of Yorkshire or the vote of the West Midlands?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by endymion248 View Post
    You should wave goodbye to the United Kingdom first. Its status right now is advanced disintegration.
    There will be no disintegration and Scotland will not leave. Scotland's biggest and most profitable industry was O&G and Alex Salmond's rallying cry in the last referendum was we will use our own oil money for ourselves. Even then when it had a modicum of economic sense people voted no, Salmond's own home city overwhelmingly said no to Scottish independence. Now that oil is somewhere in the $50 range, The O&G industry seeing the highest number of job losses in Scottish history, no one will support independence. An independent Scotland will stand on which two feet?

SNP's political survival hinges on the referendum, it is a rallying cry for them politically and people ignore their shortcomings as a functioning government. SNP earns peoples votes by striking their hearts and not their brains, but sooner or later they will be found out. SNP will keep asking for a referendum till people call their bluff, its a good bluff, but a bluff nonetheless.

Nicola Sturgeon is a smart woman, her position as first minister is hard earned, now a referendum soon and a loss following means she will have to step down. For all the chest thumping and press conferences she is not ready to put her position on the line.

Wales wants Brexit.

The only doubt is N.Ireland. I would miss the odd guiness I have every month, thats about it!
    Last edited by shortbread; 26th June 2016 at 11:12.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does the vote of Scotland matter more than the vote of Yorkshire or the vote of the West Midlands?
    Because during the last Scottish refrendum they were told Britain would stay in EU.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There will be no disintegration and Scotland will not leave. Scotland's biggest and most profitable industry was O&G and Alex Salmond's rallying cry in the last referendum was we will use our own oil money for ourselves. Even then when it had a modicum of economic sense people voted no, Salmond's own home city overwhelmingly said no to Scottish independence. Now that oil is somewhere in the $50 range, The O&G industry seeing the highest number of job losses in Scottish history, no one will support independence. An independent Scotland will stand on which two feet?

SNP's political survival hinges on the referendum, it is a rallying cry for them politically and people ignore their shortcomings as a functioning government. SNP earns peoples votes by striking their hearts and not their brains, but sooner or later they will be found out. SNP will keep asking for a referendum till people call their bluff, its a good bluff, but a bluff nonetheless.

Nicola Sturgeon is a smart woman, her position as first minister is hard earned, now a referendum soon and a loss following means she will have to step down. For all the chest thumping and press conferences she is not ready to put her position on the line.

Wales wants Brexit.

The only doubt is N.Ireland. I would miss the odd guiness I have every month, thats about it!
    Project Fear by the English to fear-monger the Scots out of independence. If the Brexiters decided to self-destruct by scape-goating the EU, independent Scotland would be worth it just to get away from them.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Because during the last Scottish refrendum they were told Britain would stay in EU.
    So Scotland should have another referendum then rather then been giving priority over the other 90% of the country

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because Scotland is in a voluntary union with England while Yorkish or West Midlands are a part of England. Scotland is theoretically free to leave England anytime the majority of its people want to and recent polls suggest that independence has gained 5 to 10% since the last referendum.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Because Scotland is in a voluntary union with England while Yorkish or West Midlands are a part of England. Scotland is theoretically free to leave England anytime the majority of its people want to and recent polls suggest that independence has gained 5 to 10% since the last referendum.
    Yes. And rather than hold a veto over the rest of the country they should exercise that voluntary union and have another referendum

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.
    Guardian.

Also the petition going on, turns out it was started by a Leaver before the referendum.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes. And rather than hold a veto over the rest of the country they should exercise that voluntary union and have another referendum
    Agreed. It's their democratic right to have another referendum after being forced out of the EU by England.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    IDS is a disgraceful liar, saying he never said "£350m would be spent on the NHS" which is what Farage also said on GMB on Friday morning. What the hell was this then:

Project Fear.

/sarcasm

Farage today saying there will be a recession.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Scotland doesn't have the actual powers to veto a UK exit.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Scotland doesn't have the actual powers to veto a UK exit.
    I read somewhere they actually do, I'll dig it up. Some law stating that any Leave has to have their parliament's consent.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think we should replay the penalty shootout between Germany and England in Euro 96 as many times as we need to until England get to the final. Then we should keep replaying the final against Czech Republic until England win that as well.

The 3 million signatories for this Referendum II idea are just existing Remain voters anyway. So it's a gigantic red herring.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Project Fear by the English to fear-monger the Scots out of independence. If the Brexiters decided to self-destruct by scape-goating the EU, independent Scotland would be worth it just to get away from them.
    You never answer using logic, do u?!

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-36633244

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has told the BBC that Holyrood could try to block the UK's exit from the EU.

She was speaking following a referendum on Thursday which saw Britain vote by 52% to 48% to leave Europe.
    However, in Scotland the picture was different with 62% backing Remain and 38% wanting to go.
    SNP leader Ms Sturgeon said that "of course" she would ask MSPs to refuse to give their "legislative consent".
    Keep up with the latest news following the Brexit vote
    However, Scottish Secretary David Mundell said he "personally" did not believe that Scotland could block Brexit.
    In an interview with the BBC's Sunday Politics Scotland programme Ms Sturgeon was asked what the Scottish Parliament would do now.
    Ms Sturgeon, whose party has 63 of the 129 Holyrood seats, said: "The issue you are talking about is would there have to be a legislative consent motion or motions for the legislation that extricates the UK from the European Union?
    "Looking at it from a logical perspective, I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be that requirement - I suspect that the UK government will take a very different view on that and we'll have to see where that discussion ends up."
    Talks with Brussels
    When Ms Sturgeon was asked by presenter Gordon Brewer whether she would consider asking the parliament not to back such a motion of legislative consent she replied "of course".
    She added: "If the Scottish Parliament was judging this on the basis of what's right for Scotland then the option of saying look we're not to vote for something that's against Scotland's interest, of course that's got to be on the table."
    Conservative MP Mr Mundell, who also spoke to the Sunday Politics Scotland programme, said: "We have to respect the result on Thursday, even if we don't like it - it was a UK wide vote - it was a vote by people across the UK."
    Asked about the possibility of Scotland stopping Brexit, he said: "What we need to see is the legal mechanism that we go through to get to a situation of the UK leaving.
    "I personally don't believe the Scottish Parliament is in position to block Brexit, but I haven't seen the legal documentation that you refer to in your interview with Nicola [Sturgeon]."
    Earlier on Sunday, Ms Sturgeon said that she and her colleagues would begin talking to Brussels officials next week about Scotland remaining in the EU.
    The day after the full result was known, the Scottish leader confirmed that a second Scottish independence referendum was back on the table.
    In September 2014, people in Scotland voted to stay a part of the UK.
    Last edited by Pakpak; 26th June 2016 at 11:56.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You never answer using logic, do u?!
    Logic is for the experts. We are sick of hearing the experts. What do experts know?

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-36633244

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has told the BBC that Holyrood could try to block the UK's exit from the EU.

She was speaking following a referendum on Thursday which saw Britain vote by 52% to 48% to leave Europe.
    However, in Scotland the picture was different with 62% backing Remain and 38% wanting to go.
    SNP leader Ms Sturgeon said that "of course" she would ask MSPs to refuse to give their "legislative consent".
    Keep up with the latest news following the Brexit vote
    However, Scottish Secretary David Mundell said he "personally" did not believe that Scotland could block Brexit.
    In an interview with the BBC's Sunday Politics Scotland programme Ms Sturgeon was asked what the Scottish Parliament would do now.
    Ms Sturgeon, whose party has 63 of the 129 Holyrood seats, said: "The issue you are talking about is would there have to be a legislative consent motion or motions for the legislation that extricates the UK from the European Union?
    "Looking at it from a logical perspective, I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be that requirement - I suspect that the UK government will take a very different view on that and we'll have to see where that discussion ends up."
    Talks with Brussels
    When Ms Sturgeon was asked by presenter Gordon Brewer whether she would consider asking the parliament not to back such a motion of legislative consent she replied "of course".
    She added: "If the Scottish Parliament was judging this on the basis of what's right for Scotland then the option of saying look we're not to vote for something that's against Scotland's interest, of course that's got to be on the table."
    Conservative MP Mr Mundell, who also spoke to the Sunday Politics Scotland programme, said: "We have to respect the result on Thursday, even if we don't like it - it was a UK wide vote - it was a vote by people across the UK."
    Asked about the possibility of Scotland stopping Brexit, he said: "What we need to see is the legal mechanism that we go through to get to a situation of the UK leaving.
    "I personally don't believe the Scottish Parliament is in position to block Brexit, but I haven't seen the legal documentation that you refer to in your interview with Nicola [Sturgeon]."
    Earlier on Sunday, Ms Sturgeon said that she and her colleagues would begin talking to Brussels officials next week about Scotland remaining in the EU.
    The day after the full result was known, the Scottish leader confirmed that a second Scottish independence referendum was back on the table.
    In September 2014, people in Scotland voted to stay a part of the UK.
    Except to leave all the UK has to do is inform the EU that it attends to leave and thereby invoke Article 50.

Scotland has no ability to prevent that.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These Remainers continue to try and play the dirtiest political campaigns imaginable. It's been going on for weeks in London and now the Scots are at it. Whatever your thoughts on Brexit, the conduct of the prominent Leave campaigners has generally been much better.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Except to leave all the UK has to do is inform the EU that it attends to leave and thereby invoke Article 50.

Which the UK is clearly not doing right now and won't do in the near future by the looks of it.

Also from the Guardian:

"The real division in Britain is not between London and the north, Scotland and Wales or the old and young, but between Johnson, Gove and Farage and the voters they defrauded. What tale will serve them now? On Thursday, they won by promising cuts in immigration. On Friday, Johnson and the Eurosceptic ideologue Dan Hannan said that in all probability the number of foreigners coming here won’t fall. On Thursday, they promised the economy would boom. By Friday, the pound was at a 30-year low and Daily Mail readers holidaying abroad were learning not to believe what they read in the papers. On Thursday, they promised £350m extra a week for the NHS. On Friday, it turns out there are “no guarantees”."

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    These Remainers continue to try and play the dirtiest political campaigns imaginable. It's been going on for weeks in London and now the Scots are at it. Whatever your thoughts on Brexit, the conduct of the prominent Leave campaigners has generally been much better.
    I can link to you a page if I was allowed here, of 108 racist, and some violent assaults, all over UK within hours of Leave then you can tell me what the conduct of Leavers is.

Your hero Farage also wanted another referendum at 52-48.

You're someone I have always had respect for, astounded at yourviews.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about Boris Johnson, back-tracking on the need to invoke article 50, Nigel Farage saying that there was always going to be a recession for England or Hannan admitting that they willl maintain freedom of movement?

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about Boris Johnson, back-tracking on the need to invoke article 50, Nigel Farage saying that there was always going to be a recession for England or Hannan admitting that they willl maintain freedom of movement?
    Stop it, Leavers don't like facts.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can link to you a page if I was allowed here, of 108 racist, and some violent assaults, all over UK within hours of Leave then you can tell me what the conduct of Leavers is.

Your hero Farage also wanted another referendum at 52-48.

You're someone I have always had respect for, astounded at yourviews.
    I very clearly said 'prominent leave campaigners'. Not 108 random idiots on Facebook.

I actually respect your views and the views of Remain. For me there were very persuasive views on both sides, and I was unsure at many points, so on the day I voted with my heart, and I am happy with my choice.

The lack of respect for Remain voters towards Leave voters has been very evident in comparison: uneducated, racist, morons, underclass, etc. Insult after insult.
    Last edited by James; 26th June 2016 at 12:04.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I very clearly said 'prominent leave campaigners'. Not 108 random idiots on Facebook.
    Your prominent Leave campaigners have either vanished or are busy backtracking on all the lies. Hannan decided to leave twitter instead of answer questions on his backtracking.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

I actually respect your views and the views of Remain. For me there were very persuasive views on both sides, and I was unsure at many points, so on the day I voted with my heart, and I am happy with my choice.

The lack of respect for Remain voters towards Leave voters has been very evident in comparison: uneducated, racist, morons, underclass, etc. Insult after insult.
    The working class man worldwide isn't really meant to have a vote don't you know?

He's mean to shut up and listen to his betters who will complain about the Torries neglecting him on his behalf while doing nothing about it

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Bochum, Deutschland.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1995 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Love how all Leave voters are being portrayed as 75 year old BNP skinheads in a council estate when they are the majority. Sick of the self righteousness from the Remain side, they lost, deal with it.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The working class man worldwide isn't really meant to have a vote don't you know?

He's mean to shut up and listen to his betters who will complain about the Torries neglecting him on his behalf while doing nothing about it
    What is for sure is that Aussies don't have a vote or even a stake in the UK or the EU, working class or not. Doubt they even know how the EU works.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Cozzie View Post
    Love how all Leave voters are being portrayed as 75 year old BNP skinheads in a council estate when they are the majority. Sick of the self righteousness from the Remain side, they lost, deal with it.
    You're just scared of a second referendum because you are hoping for all those sweet jobs in Dublin. Don't be selfish, most will go to Paris or Frankfurt anyways.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Bochum, Deutschland.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1995 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    You're just scared of a second referendum because you are hoping for all those sweet jobs in Dublin. Don't be selfish, most will go to Paris or Frankfurt anyways.
    Dude I get that you're one of those people who dreams of a Pan European superstate, but it will never happen, and if the EU continues on its overbearing undemocratic trend and bullies and controls the member nations to a greater extent than before, more nations will follow the UK out.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is for sure is that Aussies don't have a vote or even a stake in the UK or the EU, working class or not. Doubt they even know how the EU works.
    Many Aussies (and New Zealanders for that matter) either identify as British / half-British or are British. They're entitled to their opinion.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I'm a British citizen from birth by the way

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many Aussies (and New Zealanders for that matter) either identify as British / half-British or are British. They're entitled to their opinion.
    And were entitled to vote if living in UK as were Pakistanis & Indians.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dude I get that you're one of those people who dreams of a Pan European superstate, but it will never happen, and if the EU continues on its overbearing undemocratic trend and bullies and controls the member nations to a greater extent than before, more nations will follow the UK out.
    How is the EU undemocratic? The European Commission is composed of the head of states that the European people elected while the European Parliament is composed of MEP that the European people elected. It's a testament to european democracy that twats like Nigel Farage are allowed to sit in the parliament and collect paychecks while trying to sabotage everything the Parliament does and everything Europe stands for.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lots of people I know voted Leave and none of them fit the above description. Hopefully I don't either. Lol

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read this. Funniest thing I've read today.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...e1b39?section=

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    There isn't going to be a second referendum because there is no mandate for such an abandonment of demographic principles.

Plus everything indicates that there won't be a change in the result.

Do you want a referendum every week until people vote correctly?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Doesn't mean the UK or the EU going down the drain makes an iota of difference in their lives. You should look at this thread where people like Junaids never intend to live in the UK yet voted leave in the name of British freedom.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The UK has to replace every piece of legislation on the statute books that has any relevance to the EU. In addition to that, the UK has to pass legislation that covers every aspect of activity, from rules about vacuum cleaners to complex legislation about the manufacture, content and type of fertilisers used for different crops.

There was an article saying that even if the UK stopped debating and passing any other laws in Parliament, it is still a decades amount of work to replace all this legislation, and that one option would be to simply copy the EU rules and regulations and pass them through Parliament as new UK laws.

Within that whole framework, there is also a great deal that affects Scotland and needs Scottish Parliament approval. If the Scottish Parliament refuses to approve it, then what? That's why Nicola Sturgeon has brought up the question of a Scottish veto before Article 50 is invoked.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There isn't going to be a second referendum because there is no mandate for such an abandonment of demographic principles.

Plus everything indicates that there won't be a change in the result.

Do you want a referendum every week until people vote correctly?
    I don't want a second referendum, I want the UK out as soon as possible. I wish Cameron had invoked article 50 before resigning.

I was just having a laugh with @Donal Cozzie as he has been really excited for his job prospects in Ireland since Brexit.