Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

"My aim is to make a name for myself just like Abdul Razzaq did" : Hammad Azam

When Pakistan’s newly appointed Chief Selector Inzamam-ul-Haq recently spoke about the lack of quality all-rounders in Pakistan cricket, there appeared to be plenty of truth in his statement. It is a fact that not since the decline in form of Abdul Razzaq, Pakistan have yet to see an all-rounder who could continue with the high standards set by the likes of Imran Khan and Wasim Akram.

Amongst a list of potential aspirants to the all-rounder crown for Pakistan, twenty-five-year-old Hammad Azam appears to have all the qualities needed for the job, yet his international record to date indicates otherwise. In an interview with PakPassion.net, Azam spoke about the objectives behind his current stint in club cricket in England, frustration at not being able to become a regular in the Pakistan team and his aspirations for the future.

Name:  ha_cms1.jpg
Views: 5587
Size:  116.3 KB

A stint in England has long been a recommended form of developing one’s game, especially for sub-continental players, and that is one of the reasons why Hammad Azam is currently featuring in the North Staffordshire and South Cheshire League for Ashcombe Park. Speaking on his decision, Hammad stated “I have come over to England to play club cricket and gain experience in playing in English conditions which is something my seniors have always advised me to do.”

Whilst a player can gain valuable experience playing in conditions different from what he is used to at home, Hammad has set himself some higher goals by improving his skills in pressure situations which he would be put in as an overseas professional for his team.

“The fact that I am an overseas professional puts me in a position where I have to bat with a lot of responsibility which is crucial as an all-rounder and also helps me to develop my temperament. I am glad to say that I have played some good innings so far and have been able to build my innings with the right temperament and it seems, so far, that I am achieving the aims I have set for myself during this summer in England.”

If his current run of good scores is any indication, Hammad Azam’s tenure with Ashcombe Park is proving to be a successful one and an experience he is clearly enjoying

“It’s always a challenge when you play away from Pakistan as wickets back home are batting-friendly whereas here in England, the wickets and conditions suit bowlers a lot more. Despite that I have managed to put in scores of 116, 75 and 63 and am currently the leading run-scorer with my club. I suppose one can say that the best players are those who can adapt to new conditions and this is also what I am trying to accomplish.”

The feeling of optimism which the appointment of a new Chief Selector has introduced for some of the players, who felt neglected for unfair reasons by previous committees is palpable. Inzamam-ul-Haq’s recent statements on looking past statistics when selecting players would have given new hope to Hammad as he has long maintained that he deserves more chances to play for Pakistan to prove his true potential. All he wishes for is a consistent run based upon his domestic record and the rest, he is quite happy to leave in the hands of the selectors as he added “There is always hope, especially with the new selection committee in place. I can only hope and wish that with this new set-up I will be noticed by the selectors when I go back and play domestic cricket and put in some good performances. I would like to emphasise that it is indeed frustrating that I have not been selected for an international game again since that series against Zimbabwe in 2015. I performed well with United Bank Limited(UBL) in the previous season but despite that I am not even part of the Pakistan A team which is frustrating.”

Of course mere expression of intent cannot be the sole reason for any player’s inclusion in international sides and the selectors do look at what the player is doing to improve himself and to work on his possible deficiencies. This is an area in which the Pakistan all-rounder is keen to show his progress.

“There is always room for improvement for any professional cricketer. In my case, I am working hard to improve my batting and to show that I can perform a role in the middle order by playing long innings instead of being used as a slogger down the order. This would also be ideal for my position in my department's batting order as well. Of course, I am also working to improve my bowling as I hear comments about my bowling not being that effective or lacking pace. I do take wickets but for some reason that is not considered good enough, so all I can do is to work on that aspect as well.”

The Pakistan selectors have always stressed their preference for players who impress in domestic cricket. Hammad Azam may have been disappointed by his lack of playing time in the recently concluded edition of Pakistan’s premier Twenty20 tournament but he is determined to make amends by performing well for his First-Class team in the Quaid-e-Azam trophy tournament, stating “I played three games in the Pakistan Super League but had to sit out the rest of the games which was a little disappointing. Regardless, the fact is that my biggest opportunity to impress is by playing for my departmental team, UBL, in the Quaid-e-Azam trophy. I would have loved to have taken part in the ongoing fifth Corporate Twenty20 tournament as that is televised and is quite popular back home but the opportunity to gain valuable experience in English conditions was more important for me.”

The road to establishing himself in the Pakistan team appears to be long and filled with uncertainties but what Hammad Azam can count on is some good advice to help him through the tough times. There could be no better person to offer him words of wisdom than Pakistan’s veteran record-breaking batsman, Younis Khan, whose advice appears to have had profound effects on Hammad Azam’s outlook towards cricket.

“Younis Khan is my captain at UBL and he has been full of praise for me. He has always tried to instil confidence in me which is very important. He always advises me to continue improving myself just like he looks to do, even after so much experience at the international level. He is always looking to learn new skills and looking to improve his game. He also stresses the value of self-discipline and tells me to continue working hard and leave the rest to the Almighty when it comes to matters of selection in the national team”

To most observers of Pakistan cricket, Hammad Azam seems to have all the makings of a competent all-rounder but it remains a mystery as to why he has not been able to deliver the performances which would surely set him up as Pakistan’s “go to” all-rounder. There is little doubt about his desire to rise through the ranks and to defy his detractors but like many Pakistan players vying for the attention of the selectors, he could do with a consistent run in the Pakistan side. Until that happens, Hammad Azam has no other choice but to not lose hope and persist with his desire to prove himself.

“I have played sixteen international games over a period of five years and to be honest, the progress of my international career has been a little disappointing for me. However, just like I rose to fame in my Under-19 years, I would like to repeat the same for myself at the domestic level and eventually at the international level as well. My aim is to make a name for myself just like Abdul Razzaq did for himself and Pakistan in international cricket. I suppose all one can do is to keep on performing to the best of their abilities and hope for the best. At the end of the day, the selection committee has its own views as does the captain so there isn’t any point being disheartened and one has to remain positive about these things," he concluded.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Think he'd more of a batsmen than a bowler should have got more chances back in the day. Now seems as though pselectors have moved on.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does seem like a tough ask for him to get back. I felt he wasn't really used properly when he played, often left batting quite far down the order.

Haven't seen him for a while but good to see he's in England trying to improve himself.
    Last edited by Shayan; 24th June 2016 at 22:17.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I've always thought that he has been treated roughly by the selectors and some captains. What he needed and deserved was a run of matches instead of one or two games here and there bowling a few overs and batting low down the order.

Aamer Yamin etc are now providing stiff competition and he faces a tough task to get back into the Pakistan team. However time is on his side.

Debut
    May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I've always thought that he has been treated roughly by the selectors and some captains. What he needed and deserved was a run of matches instead of one or two games here and there bowling a few overs and batting low down the order.

Aamer Yamin etc are now providing stiff competition and he faces a tough task to get back into the Pakistan team. However time is on his side.
    Who would you rate higher, Aamer Yamin or Hammad Azam?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    This is my question every time the names of such players comes up

PCB have invested money in this guy; why would they not spend a little more time and resources and get him professional assistance to improve himself further?

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like this guy- he got a shocking decision by Ashoka desilva in a one day match when he was close to winning the match for us. Looked head and shoulders our best batsmen that day.
    Bats with a lot of time, pulls and hooks well.
    Could of been a leader also, but we ve not nurtured him properly.
    I hope it's not too late for him

"Where you start from is as important as what you do"

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    A very average player imo. He doesn't have the talent and the ability of Razzaq.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7775 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Hammad played some gutsy innings in the few chances he got in 2011-2012. He showed good temparement and ability to keep his head amid chaos.

For example, the ODI in West Indies in 2011 where he put up a partnership with Misbah when Pakistan was reduced to 50/4 on a green track.

In addition, he played a vital knock in the 2012 Asia Cup final which proved to be the difference in the end, and played a good hand in a T20 vs England as well.

When a young player shows such glimpses of potential, you don't discard him like that.

At this stage of the career, statistics do not matter.

However, unfortunately, he was given the short end of the stick and we ended up wasting too much time with the likes of Anwar, Bhatti and Tanvir (very good T20 bowler and a useful ODI bowler, but not good enough for the all-rounder spot) in the all-rounder role.

Nonetheless, all that is in the past now. He hasn't impressed lately and looks to have regressed both as batsman and bowler.

His bowling statistics look good in F/C but whenever I have seen bowl recently, he has looked harmless to me.

Unless he really improves in the next couple of years, I think he is a lost cause.

It is time to give Yamin a consistent go in ODIs.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Sad that the few promising signs from earlier in his career didn't lead to something most substantial. He has time on his side but it's all up to him now to do what he can to get back into the sights of the selection committee.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Hammad played some gutsy innings in the few chances he got in 2011-2012. He showed good temparement and ability to keep his head amid chaos.

For example, the ODI in West Indies in 2011 where he put up a partnership with Misbah when Pakistan was reduced to 50/4 on a green track.

In addition, he played a vital knock in the 2012 Asia Cup final which proved to be the difference in the end, and played a good hand in a T20 vs England as well.

When a young player shows such glimpses of potential, you don't discard him like that.

At this stage of the career, statistics do not matter.

However, unfortunately, he was given the short end of the stick and we ended up wasting too much time with the likes of Anwar, Bhatti and Tanvir (very good T20 bowler and a useful ODI bowler, but not good enough for the all-rounder spot) in the all-rounder role.

Nonetheless, all that is in the past now. He hasn't impressed lately and looks to have regressed both as batsman and bowler.

His bowling statistics look good in F/C but whenever I have seen bowl recently, he has looked harmless to me.

Unless he really improves in the next couple of years, I think he is a lost cause.

It is time to give Yamin a consistent go in ODIs.
    After 2-3 years you will copy paste this for Aamer Yamin too.. This is the part i dont like Misbah. he gives them chances but then always gives the short end of the stick to promising youngsters.... Anwar ali is a lost cause has been given a very very long run and even the new ball.. pak pick wrong horses and train them hard for the race while discarding good ones...

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7775 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    After 2-3 years you will copy paste this for Aamer Yamin too.. This is the part i dont like Misbah. he gives them chances but then always gives the short end of the stick to promising youngsters.... Anwar ali is a lost cause has been given a very very long run and even the new ball.. pak pick wrong horses and train them hard for the race while discarding good ones...
    Misbah era has failed to develop ODI players. I agree that the wrong horses have been backed in ODIs.

A hack like Anwar has been given a free ride for years now, which sums up everything.

All-rounders take time and patience to develop.

Hammad might not have developed into a quality player but he showed enough in his first few matches to deserve a decent run.

The way he has been discarded has been very unfortunate.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mz123 View Post
    Who would you rate higher, Aamer Yamin or Hammad Azam?
    Close call.

Too early to say regarding Aamer Yamin as he's not played much international cricket and also Hammad's chances for Pakistan have been very limited.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Pakistan all-rounder Hammad Azam, who has been a part of the national team only 11 times since his debut in 2011, believes he can emulate veteran Abdul Razzaq’s feats for the Men in Green.

“I have played 16 international games over a period of five years and to be honest, the progress of my international career has been a little disappointing for me,” said Hammad. “However, just like I rose to fame in my Under-19 years, I would like to repeat the same for myself at the domestic level and eventually at the international level as well.”

Azam added: “My aim is to make a name for myself just like Abdul Razzaq did for himself and Pakistan in international cricket. I suppose all one can do is to keep on performing to the best of their abilities and hope for the best. At the end of the day, the selection committee has its own views as does the captain so there isn’t any point being disheartened and one has to remain positive about these things.”

The 25-year-old thinks his stint with Ashcombe Park in the North Staffordshire and South Cheshire League can help him develop his game further.

“I have come over to England to play club cricket and gain experience in playing in English conditions which is something my seniors have always advised me to do,” he said. “The fact that I am an overseas professional puts me in a position where I have to bat with a lot of responsibility which is crucial as an all-rounder and also helps me to develop my temperament.”

“I am glad to say that I have played some good innings so far and have been able to build my innings with the right temperament and it seems, so far, that I am achieving the aims I have set for myself during this summer in England.”

Hammad further believes that if he can learn to adapt to new conditions quickly then he can become an asset for Pakistan’s first team which is lacking quality all-rounders at the moment.

“It’s always a challenge when you play away from Pakistan as wickets back home are batting-friendly whereas here in England, the wickets and conditions suit bowlers a lot more,” said Hammad. “Despite that I have managed to put in scores of 116, 75 and 63 and am currently the leading run-scorer with my club. I suppose one can say that the best players are those who can adapt to new conditions and this is also what I am trying to accomplish.”

Meanwhile, the right-hand batsman and bowler is frustrated because of his non-selection even in the A team which is touring England.

“There is always hope, especially with the new selection committee in place,” he said. “I can only hope and wish that with this new set-up I will be noticed by the selectors when I go back and play domestic cricket and put in some good performances. I would like to emphasise that it is indeed frustrating that I have not been selected for an international game since the series against Zimbabwe in 2015. I performed well with United Bank Limited in the previous season but despite that I am not even part of the Pakistan A team which is frustrating.”

Another reason for the medium pacer’s non-selection can be his lack of pace but Hammad believes taking wickets is the primary job of any bowler. Also, in batting, he aims to move up from the lower middle-order.

“There is always room for improvement for any professional cricketer,” he thinks. “In my case, I am working hard to improve my batting and to show that I can perform a role in the middle order by playing long innings instead of being used as a slogger down the order. This would also be ideal for my position in my department’s batting order as well.

“Of course, I am also working to improve my bowling as I hear comments about my bowling not being that effective or lacking pace. I do take wickets but for some reason that is not considered good enough, so all I can do is to work on that aspect as well.”

Hammad Azam was interviewed by PakPassion.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1129998/...-abdul-razzaq/
    Last edited by Saj; 25th June 2016 at 18:25.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Misbah era has failed to develop ODI players. I agree that the wrong horses have been backed in ODIs.

A hack like Anwar has been given a free ride for years now, which sums up everything.

All-rounders take time and patience to develop.

Hammad might not have developed into a quality player but he showed enough in his first few matches to deserve a decent run.

The way he has been discarded has been very unfortunate.
    No they do develop a good ODI side, but the team kept on losing and the senior players were hiding behind the junior players exclusion....whatmore was very impressed with haris sohail before we watch him play for pakistan and then he was suppressed by not giving more chances.. Nasir jamshed was a good find but when out of form couldnt find a spot for him in the team to rest as there was no place to hide for the inconsistent seniors even...then maqsood, asad shafiq they all showed good promise but cannot be backed.. if misbah is gonna play shehzad, maqsood,umar akmal and haris sohail in the 2015 CWC then these players should have made to form the nucleus of the batting lineup atleast 2 years in advance.. 2017 champions trophy will be good time to decide on the captain, batting lineup and the bowlers who they can put the money on for the 2019 CWC. I hope with Inzi and Arthur this can be expected..
    Last edited by ask_analyse_act; 26th June 2016 at 23:28.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Thanks to Hammad for his time.

If anyone is interested in watching him play, he's playing in the North Staffordshire and South Cheshire League for Ashcombe Park.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yesterday during commentary Simon Doull called Waqar out on Hammad Azam. Waqar basically made something up about an injury and losing pace. But the fact is Hammad could easily have been a 4th seamer batting at 6-7 in this match. Which would have allowed the playing of Yasir. As if to rub it in he scored 100 at #7 today, in the QEA match and has a couple of wickets to boot. What a waste!!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samiakh View Post
    Yesterday during commentary Simon Doull called Waqar out on Hammad Azam. Waqar basically made something up about an injury and losing pace. But the fact is Hammad could easily have been a 4th seamer batting at 6-7 in this match. Which would have allowed the playing of Yasir. As if to rub it in he scored 100 at #7 today, in the QEA match and has a couple of wickets to boot. What a waste!!
    Hammad really deserves a place in Test team, guy has been performing regularly in QEA matches getting wickets/scoring runs.

On the other hand Fahim Ashraf another fast bowling allrounder has been scoring runs and taking wicket too in this QEA. Fahim is more pacer than Hammad don't know about his batting but has been scoring runs !
    I am sure after Australia series we will see induction of fast bowling All rounders.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was very disappointed with Waqar and especially Misbah who never really stuck up for having Hammad in the side after the 2012 Asia Cup. He saved our backsides in that final with a decent knock and you'd think as captain Misbah would've backed him and asked for him to be kept in the side but no. Hammad went back to domestic cricket, got messed around with his batting positions and now has probably regressed rather than develop and improve on that great initial potential he showed.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    102 at a 70+ sr and followed that up by getting Usman Salahuddin, one of the country's very best emerging batters for 10.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2098 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    102 at a 70+ sr and followed that up by getting Usman Salahuddin, one of the country's very best emerging batters for 10.
    Hammad is the kind of chap who would have developed had he been given consistent runs at international level, instead he was left to toil away in domestic cricket which stunted his growth and development, all the while we were constantly playing useless players like Anwar Ali.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i dont think he's the saviour some people believe him to be.

at best he's the 5th bowler, and a no 7 batsmen.

He's in form with the bat, so would'be been worth a shot as the no. 7 is Auz, especially with Shafiq struggling so much

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Hammad is the kind of chap who would have developed had he been given consistent runs at international level, instead he was left to toil away in domestic cricket which stunted his growth and development, all the while we were constantly playing useless players like Anwar Ali.
    This is Misbah for you.
    Last edited by Haroon786; 29th November 2016 at 00:11.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    He barely got a run in the team which was unfair, hasn't been handled well. The idea behind selecting him was a good one but they didn't go all the way when it came to their investment which was unfortunate

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    this is misbah for u..
    Is Misbah the chief selector ?
    Last edited by Haroon786; 29th November 2016 at 00:11.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If the amount of opportunities that Anwar Ali got was given to Hammad, he would have been a useful 5th bowler and #7 batsman by now.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Would be interested to hear this exchange.

How would Doull know about Hammad ?
    Last edited by Haroon786; 29th November 2016 at 00:12.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Would be interested to hear this exchange

How would doull know about hammad?
    Doull commentated on the U19 WC where Hammad played some crucial knocks. Stayed not out throughout the tournament only to get a duck in the final.

Hazlewood was the main destroyer that day..

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    648 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Would've been great to see him become a Ben Stokes type player with the right development.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    is misbah the chief selector?
    he had control over these things ..everyone knows it..

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    PCB chairman also has control over these things aswell.

But their is a chief selector whos job is to select these guys, so blame him

The first and only PM of Pakistan to lose the peoples confidence = Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Waqar is right.

Hammad Azam's average pace as a 18 years old was 127 kph with his faster delivery around 133 kph. It was expected than within next 2 years he will become fast medium and was thought to be the longterm replacement of Razzaq.

Currently his average speed is 118 kph and maximum speed is 127 kph.

Just look at his runup now ¿

Back Injury along with poor fitness regimen and poor development are causes of this decline.

Hammad Azam is a Champion of Grace Ball and Pakistan domestic pitches.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post
    Waqar is right.

Hammad Azam's average pace as a 18 years old was 127 kph with his faster delivery around 133 kph. It was expected than within next 2 years he will become fast medium and was thought to be the longterm replacement of Razzaq.

Back Injury along with poor fitness regimen and poor development are causes of this decline.

He hardly was treated like royalty at the international level nor was his development at the domestic level, you don't shake a tree in pak with A/R's falling out left,right and center. Talent ought to be given adequate support and invested in, we don't have a system in place which ensures players like Hammad can evolve but depend on god given talent falling from the sky once in a blue moon. Sure Hammad should have worked harder but the PCB are to blame for his regression, in recent times Azhar and Shafiq are the only ones who benefited from a long rope and an investment from the PCB.

We're also poor at identifying talent at an early stage and even when we do there is no guarantees that support will be given to them in terms of progressing to the next level. Many of these internationals that play for England were not only identified at an early stage, their careers/futures were invested in throughout. Chris Woakes for example didn't fall out the sky, he was identified during school level cricket, made it into the U-19 team and then the Lions squad before making his debut for England.

There was a system in place which ensured his evolution, he wasn't born with supernatural powers. Point is, players in Pakistan can only progress so far on their own; if a prospect begins to regress then it is also the fault of a useless system which did little to ensure their growth. And don't even get me started with the ** politics where you have "captains" deliberately undermine players in their team so they get selected ahead of them, the system in pakistan allows such debacles.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Waqar is right.

Looks like another Sadaf Hussain from that pace.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really? no one who pays attention seems to know it, but everyone who wants to scape goat thinks they do.

where's the references to show he was in 'control' if everyone seems to know it?

what about the massive press conference after his resignation from LO cricket when he went to extreme pains to emphasise that he has very limited control of selection? what about the multiple press statements over the years showing that the selectors in their wisdom sometimes announced squads without even a consultation?

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Would be interested to hear this exchange.

How would Doull know about Hammad ?

he recalled him from the u19 competition where he announced his talents on the international stage. it was enough back then for doull to have remembered a number of years later, but nit enough for our selectors and board apparently.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He played that knock vs India in 2009 U19, that put him in light as a finisher.. he then went on to represent Pakistan in World t20 2010, Asia Cup 2012, and the England series in 2012 ODis and t20s.. then he failed vs WI in t20s in 2013.. safe to say that should be the end of him.. instead of going up he continuously deterioriated as a player..

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Waqar is right.

I'd be interested to know the source of your speed estimates? Grays ball or not if your average speed is 118 you will not have the strike rate or economy rate he does in FC cricket. If his performance remains like this for the rest of the QEA he will be hard to ignore for the ODI part of the Aus tour.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Interesting post from @samiakh

Several English journalists were asking me about Hammad during this years tour of England by Pakistan and asking why he was completely out of favour, as they had been impressed by him.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Interesting post from @samiakh

Several English journalists were asking me about Hammad during this years tour of England by Pakistan and asking why he was completely out of favour, as they had been impressed by him.
    He had a good outing in the North Staffs and Cheshire League this season didn't he? Were they impressed by him from his time there or by his past exploits at U19 level? If the former, could he be in with an outside chance of landing a county deal in the future if he does well again in the Premier division?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know the source of your speed estimates? Grays ball or not if your average speed is 118 you will not have the strike rate or economy rate he does in FC cricket. If his performance remains like this for the rest of the QEA he will be hard to ignore for the ODI part of the Aus tour.

How much of FC, List A & T20 Cricket you have watched in last 3 years featuring Hammad Azam ?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Looks like another Sadaf Hussain from that pace.

No. Hammad is Right Arm Medium and Sadaf is Left arm medium fast where 20 % of his deliveries are in Fast medium range. He is 128 to 138 kph.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rashid Latif made his FC debut at the official age of 34.

He had dibly dobly speeds of Hammad Azam. 118 to 127 kph.

If he could have such an Ave and SR with Grace Ball on Pakistan FC wickets in Winter between the Age of 34-38 than why can't Hammad Azam manage same numbers at 10-12 years young age ?

Samia take a note.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    He had a good outing in the North Staffs and Cheshire League this season didn't he? Were they impressed by him from his time there or by his past exploits at U19 level? If the former, could he be in with an outside chance of landing a county deal in the future if he does well again in the Premier division?
    Same team has signed him already for next season.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quite sad to see he isn't the psl when players who have done worse than him are in

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why didn't any PSL franchise pick him, while the likes of Anwar and Bhatti have been picked? Baffling as to how/why our coaches/selectors can't identify talent, let alone groom them. Then again, I should not expect that lot to make any logical/objective decisions due to the lack of education which is so prevalent within our cricket setup.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should have got more games. Can remember when he played a part in that run chase, definitely deserved a longer run in the team.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A wasted talent.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ordinary cricketer. Not sure why he's rated.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Ordinary cricketer. Not sure why he's rated.
    Had a good QAE trophy so he is back in the ranks with Yamin, etc.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Back in the news it seems, scored 44 off 20 balls against HK for Pak U23

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    will wait to see how he ends this tour.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why he wasn't given a consistent run after the 2011 series vs West Indies. He played a good innings and had a good partnership with Misbah. Than he went off the radar for some reason.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2098 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hammad Azam is the kind of cricketer who would have flourished in international cricket if given the right mentorship and environment to grow. Unfortunately for him for the last 5-6 years we had a captain who never played any youngsters.

Hammad Azam is the ideal number 6/7 batsman for our side. His 6-8 overs would have been handy too.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hammad Azam is the kind of cricketer who would have flourished in international cricket if given the right mentorship and environment to grow. Unfortunately for him for the last 5-6 years we had a captain who never played any youngsters.

Hammad Azam is the ideal number 6/7 batsman for our side. His 6-8 overs would have been handy too.
    6-7 overs of 115-120 km/h pies?

He would be pummelled. If he's going to make it to the Pakistan side its as a pure batsman.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2098 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsism View Post

He would be pummelled. If he's going to make it to the Pakistan side its as a pure batsman.
    Would still do better than "aggressive pacer" Wahab

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Would still do better than "aggressive pacer" Wahab
    Doubt it, but Wahab has no business in the LOI formats.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i have been asking this .... why cant pak keepers stand upfront near the stumps for 100-110 kph bowlers...the problem is that they even stand way back for even Umar Amins bowling speed which is stupid...I dont buy their logic of standing at the same distance as they stand for 130ish speed bowler...

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Has always been a great prospect which should have been a fix in our limited over teams by now, his case is very unfortunate. Had a excellent FC season recently, there is opportunity for him now to progress at the international level and hopefully he's on Mickey's radar but we need to get him in ASAP in order to ensure his development otherwise he may as well settle in England and make what he is worth while he can.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why was he not picked for PSL if he's as good as people think

Another bits and pieces crickter IMO

Severely Addicted to Pakistan Cricket despite the grave side effects!

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    India and BCCI take the u19 talents nurture them to make kohli's klrahul, yuvraj, kaif, irfan pathan, rohit sharma, jadeja, etc... where PCB and pak are happy with hafeez, afridi and myk, Moreover destroy talents like hammad azam.. Only now they have got babar, sami, imad and sarfraz...tbh imad and sarfraz are late additions to the team.... now they still have imam ul haq, hammad azam, ehsan adil, like players who showed their potential in u19 CWC but will go unheard or destroy for the sake of seniors....

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

can easily do that, like i asked you before what alternatives do we have at 6?

Talat and Khusdil could do ajob but both have played there careers higher up

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a clutch player. Usually bats well in a chase.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The intelligent Supporter View Post

Why was imran khalid, saeed ajmal, asif ali, even riffatullah got picked... we all thought talat will get his chance once sharjeel and khalid were sent out but interestingly riffat got selected from nowhere and got his chance ahead of talat initially to prove how mediocre he was and then ISU forced to select talat... For players like Talat if they set a foot wrong will be discarded for 2 years min...

But failing horses like hafeez, kamran akmal, UA get repeated chances forever even if they fail 10x times more bad than youngsters... PSL is also more like the brighto paints league when it comes to selection of players, only family and friends get selected.... Umar Amin this season didnt play a single game where Saad Nasim opened the batting and got to play two matches... Hafeez was the first name in the sheet after failing to score a run in three games, khusdil shah get two matches only in the entire league, though hafeez failed so many times haris sohail who is also struggling to get form never given a chance to bat at 3, moreover he didnt fail that miserably like hafeez.. hasan mohsin didnt get a game, Saif badar and zeeshan despite in the teams didnt get a game too....

Eventually PSL is not a league that recognises talent and give chances to flourish... Seniority culture has to be uprooted from their cricket system, until then they are going nowhere...
    Last edited by ask_analyse_act; 29th March 2017 at 01:31.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    can easily do that, like i asked you before what
    alternatives do we have at 6?
    Talat and Khusdil could do ajob but both have played there careers higher up
    man they will try to give UA 100 chances to fail, but hammad only 3 chances... if he fails then no chance for him for the next 3 years...It is the matter of who people like to see than to actually play...

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The intelligent Supporter View Post

Ignorance of the team's think-tanks.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hong Kong is his level. He bowls 120 pies, not good enough to make it purely as a batsman.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hong Kong is his level. He bowls 120 pies, not good enough to make it purely as a batsman.
    Genuine question, who would you have bat at 6 for Pakistan in limited overs ? The cupboard is awfully empty

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The story of Hammad Azam is a familiar story in Pakistan. A story of preferring style over substance. In the limited chances he was given it was apparent that captains had no confidence in him. As a young player trying to establish himself that is a death knell. On the opposite end look what sarfaraz did with Shadab even before the first match he was talking him up. Sure he tasted immediate success but I can guarantee you the two were linked. Hammad should have been given an extended run after the 2012 Asia Cup as a finishing batsmen who could bowl 5/6 overs in the middle of an innings. His role was never going to be that of a leading wicket taker but a good finisher he could have been. But no captain showed enough confidence in him. It's a familiar tale in our cricket.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The story of Hammad Azam is a familiar story in Pakistan. A story of preferring style over substance. In the limited chances he was given it was apparent that captains had no confidence in him. As a young player trying to establish himself that is a death knell. On the opposite end look what sarfaraz did with Shadab even before the first match he was talking him up. Sure he tasted immediate success but I can guarantee you the two were linked. Hammad should have been given an extended run after the 2012 Asia Cup as a finishing batsmen who could bowl 5/6 overs in the middle of an innings. His role was never going to be that of a leading wicket taker but a good finisher he could have been. But no captain showed enough confidence in him. It's a familiar tale in our cricket.
    Since 2012 Asia cup they are still searching for an all rounder and finisher. His emergence would have blocked the way for afridi who was planning to play his last CWC.

I hope if he gets a chance under MICKEY he will flourish.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not good enough.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say this but I would rate Anwar Ali as better than Hammad Azam. And I find Anwar Ali to be hopeless too. Hammad's bowling is worse than Anwar Ali and Anwar Ali is eons ahead in fielding. That only leaves Hammad's batting vs Anwar's batting. Hammad is definitely a better batsman but can he make his way into the team purely as a batsman? I don't think so. Hammad's position in the team right now can be number 7 and a number 7 cannot be just a pure batsman. He has to bowl and his bowling is nowhere good enough. Against the likes of England and Australia, this guy will go for 50 in 6 overs. Not good enough unfortunately.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Will repeat what I have said else where. Pakistan has to prioritize and find better batsmen for the top 3 positions. It doesn't matter who you play at 6 if you are gonna crawl to 180 - 200 by the 40th over.
    Most teams will chase whatever you set with ease with that kind of batting performance

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsalan Pro View Post
    Not good enough.
    Based on 11 ODI's and 5 t20 played over 3 years? Bowled less than a total of 35 overs, 0 overs in T20? I don't mind people making judgements but at least base them on a statistically significant sample size.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Genuine question, who would you have bat at 6 for Pakistan in limited overs ? The cupboard is awfully empty
    Talat/Shadab/Imad.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talat/Shadab/Imad.
    Hammad Azam is the better hitter.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should purely play on the basis of his hitting abilities, as we lack modern cricketing mindset.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Talat/Shadab/Imad.
    Talat i can understand, he seems to have the skills to play there, though it will still be new. Part of me actually wants talat to open

Imad for me is fine where he is, I think if he was to play in a batting position then he needs to bat higher. He isnt the kind of batsmen to win you a game on his own

Shadab likewise shouldnt be burdened that much so early

I still feel a proper run for Hammad is the best bet.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hammad can play as a no 6 batsmen too chipping in with 3,4 overs

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Talat i can understand, he seems to have the skills to play there, though it will still be new. Part of me actually wants talat to open

Imad for me is fine where he is, I think if he was to play in a batting position then he needs to bat higher. He isnt the kind of batsmen to win you a game on his own

Shadab likewise shouldnt be burdened that much so early

I still feel a proper run for Hammad is the best bet.
    Talat's hitting style is that of a middle order player. Openers are expansive strokemakers that play on top of the bounce which he doesn't.

Hammad does have hitting ability but he's quite vulnerable against quality bowling, particularly against spin. Even against pace, his feet don't move much and he needs the ball in his zone to hit. He won't get that against international sides. Because he doesn't offer anything with the ball, he's simply not an option.