May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What are your views on British Pakistanis who can't speak Urdu?

When I see British Pakistanis who don't even know a single word of Urdu, and just talk english 24 h with their strange accent, it angers me and disappoints me a lot. They look perfectly Pakistani from the outside (that's why at first sight I am happy to see that many people of my community are living here), but when they open their mouth, I literally want to slap them. I mean, most of them don't even have anything in common with Pakistanis (except the looks of course).

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu is not the mother tongue of most of them so it's absolutely fine.

Debut
    May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Moreover, the behavior of many british pakistanis is so strange and not pakistani at all, and most of them don't even know anything about Islam and where they come from. So disappointing !!! This angers me a lot

Debut
    May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by javiersuka View Post
    Urdu is not the mother tongue of most of them so it's absolutely fine.
    why isn't it man !!! every pakistani should learn urdu, it should be their mother tongue

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mz123 View Post
    Moreover, the behavior of many british pakistanis is so strange and not pakistani at all, and most of them don't even know anything about Islam and where they come from. So disappointing !!! This angers me a lot
    Maybe you should stop judging others and let them go on with their lives as long as they aren't physically hurting you

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because Pakistanis in Pakistan are very enlightened about true essence of Islam and are great ambassadors of their religion.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Moreover, the behavior of many british pakistanis is so strange and not pakistani at all
    That might have something to do with them being British and not living in Pakistan.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    British Pakistanis are born up and brought up in an atmosphere where the majority speaks English so it's natural why most get used to speaking in English in daily usage.

However, what surprised me back in Pakistan was the growing trend among the Upper Middle and Upper Class where Parents speak only in English with their Children and encouraging English among them and even the Kids are interacting with each other in English. It's a growing competition among the families regarding whose children speak the best ENGLISH or which school has better English speaking culture among the students.

And in all this, Urdu has been left as a Language to communicate only with the lower echelons of society that are illiterate or not posh enough to talk in English. Like dealing with drivers, servants.
    Last edited by hafeezrocks; 24th July 2016 at 17:14.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you having a hissy fit over this? How is it your concern?

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my observation, Brit Paks are more accustomed to speak Punjabi /Potohri at home than Urdu.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    most of are backgrounds are from Potohar or Mirpur where Urdu isn't our mother tongue nor the mother tongue of our parents and grandparents so why would we go out of our way to learn Urdu. Nothing but elitist rubbish in the OP

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Adil_94; 24th July 2016 at 17:34.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We speak English because we live in England and talking about people not being religious. You get a lot more Hijabs Niqabs and Thobes amongst British Pakistanis on average than a Pakistani from Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well England is our country as we are all born here hence priority is English.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would rather have them speak in English and integrate with English people instead of creating a linguistic divide. Besides, Urdu is not their mother tongue so even speaking in Punjabi or Potahri keeps them intact to their Pakistani roots, Urdu is no litmus test of a pride in Pakistani roots

Debut
    May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please do keep in mind that im not talking abt ALL british pakistanis.....

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Urdu is the national language of Pakistan. It's not our mother tongue. Punjabi, Pashto, Sindhi, Kashmiri, Balochi etc... are. We don't live in Pakistan so we have no reason to learn Urdu.

"Uss Din Eid Mubarak Hossi Jiss Din Fer Milan Day"

Adieu Friends.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hafeezrocks View Post
    However, what surprised me back in Pakistan was the growing trend among the Upper Middle and Upper Class where Parents speak only in English with their Children and encouraging English among them and even the Kids are interacting with each other in English. It's a growing competition among the families regarding whose children speak the best ENGLISH or which school has better English speaking culture among the students.

And in all this, Urdu has been left as a Language to communicate only with the lower echelons of society that are illiterate or not posh enough to talk in English. Like dealing with drivers, servants.
    Good. Urdu was never the language of 90% of Pakistanis, I'm happy it's being replaced with English. English should always have been the national language, not Urdu.

Adieu Friends.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    British Pakistanis are born up and brought up in an atmosphere where the majority speaks English so it's natural why most get used to speaking in English in daily usage.

You are wrong here
    Punjabi and Seraiki serve that purpose

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu treated as a Servants Language: Rahat Kazmi

http://tribune.com.pk/story/818200/u...e-rahat-kazmi/

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well you can not force people to learn their mother tongues, but if they have relatives in Pakistan and they visit Pakistan they should learn their local language spoken back home.

And honestly there is no excuse whatsoever not to learn another language.

Here in Norway almost every child knows Urdu, punjabi or pahadi. And remember that we have to learn norwegian first.
    And when the children starts at school aged 6 they also start learning english. So basically every pakistani child is learning 3 different languages.

And later on we also have to select between french, german and russian.

So it's poor stuff from parents first and foremost in GB if they don't teach their children a second language, especially if they often travel to Pakistan.

And studies here in Norway have shown that children who have two languages learn other languages quickly and are good pupils in general.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to agree with some of the folks here regarding growing obsession with English. Just imagine the embarrassment a Pakistani Cricketer has to go through if he is unable to communicate in English during the presentation ceremony, speaking in Urdu would make him a laughing stock among the people back home who would regard him as a Jaahil.

OTOH, speaking in English is seen as a reflection of being Well educated, having a Sophisticated Background and good upbringing whereas Urdu is opposite of it.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    Cyderabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't pakistani dramas use Urdu? then how is it a servants language ? Seems to me if you need to get into Pakistani TV then you need to know urdu.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1783 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well they come from Britain itself and I'm pretty sure most of them know all about Britain.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niishaa View Post
    Don't pakistani dramas use Urdu? then how is it a servants language ? Seems to me if you need to get into Pakistani TV then you need to know urdu.
    Just as Bollywood using Hindi doesn't necessarily make Hindi a classy language or the language of elites.

Even the Bollywood actors and actresses of today's era are ashamed to communicate in Hindi in Public so they use English while conducting press conference or giving interviews or even during Award ceremonies.

Hindi is used only during films to target the vast majority that isn't fluent in English.

How many parents would send their Children to Hindi or vernacular medium schools over an English one and how many opt for the reverse ? You know the answer.

Even right not here in this forum people are discussing in English because apart from being considered an Elite, Cool language it has also become a must for practical purposes.
    Last edited by Dman; 24th July 2016 at 18:39.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu treated as a Servants Language: Rahat Kazmi

http://tribune.com.pk/story/818200/u...e-rahat-kazmi/
    So from being the Language of Mughals to Language of Servants today.

How the mighty have fallen.

Interesting read.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I have never thought about it until today.

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People adopted Urdu because it was the language of a few elites. They never had any ancestral connection to it. Now that English has replaced Urdu as the language of the elites, Urdu has lot all purpose. The same superficiality that lead to people learning it is leading to its demise. Nothing to cry about. It's for the better anyways, Urdu was always stilted and ugly, English is an improvement on it.
    Last edited by endymion248; 24th July 2016 at 19:25.

Adieu Friends.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by endymion248 View Post
    People adopted Urdu because it was the language of a few elites. They never had any ancestral connection to it. Now that English has replaced Urdu as the language of the elites, Urdu has lot all purpose. The same superficiality that lead to people learning it is leading to its demise. Nothing to cry about. It's for the better anyways, Urdu was always stilted and ugly, English is an improvement on it.
    Why do you despise Urdu so much?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by santos11 View Post
    Why do you despise Urdu so much?
    It has had nothing but a negative influence on Pakistani history (especially in regards to Bangladesh).

Adieu Friends.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...I would disagree there, I think Urdu is a beautiful language, if too formal for me to enjoy using it in day to day life. It's useful for the very rare occasion I might want to watch a Bollywood film as Hindi is basically the same language. Although as someone has already pointed out, in most Bollywood films the dialogue is half English as well these days.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niishaa View Post
    Some people live in an alternate world

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    why isn't it man !!! every pakistani should learn urdu, it should be their mother tongue
    How about Punjabi or Sindhi or Pashto?

Majority of Pak people's mother tongue is not Urdu. Its a foreign language to most Pakistanis. Just an adopted one.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu won a convincing No Battle contest when it was up against regional languages like Punjabi, Pashto, Sindhi, Seraiki. But ever since the emergence of English and it's Global appeal, it has lost the appeal among the elites which it previously enjoyed. Today the elites speak in English and the ones who aspire to climb the social ladder want to learn English, not Urdu.

But I wouldn't complain much though. In the past, regional languages were being neglected to further the cause of Urdu Imperialism. Now, Urdu is being meted out the same treatment in name of Globalization and losing its appeal to English.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Glad to see Urdu in Pakistan is facing the same fate which Hindi in India is going through. Hindi is promoted by the state, and is claimed as the de facto national language by the hindi imperialists, but is now reduced to a language used to communicate with the labour class. We elites have moved to English as our signature language.

Narendra Modi and Imran Khan Zindabad! NOT

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Glad to see Urdu in Pakistan is facing the same fate which Hindi in India is going through. Hindi is promoted by the state, and is claimed as the de facto national language by the hindi imperialists, but is now reduced to a language used to communicate with the labour class. We elites have moved to English as our signature language.
    Since when are you part of the elite?

Adieu Friends.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Not a big deal, as long as they don't pretend that they are true patriots of Pakistan.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Since when are you part of the elite?
    Since he joined PakPassion forum which converses in Lordly English.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Lols what rubbish.

Debut
    May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    utter rubbish man ! where are you from ?

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I can understand Urdu but lack the confidence to speak it without using Pothwari words. At home my kids speak English to each other, even though I am embarrassed by relatives because they think I have gorified my kids. This criticism is valid but it's very difficult to do anything about it. But Urdu is not on the radar but it is very lovely language because even when you swear at people, it seems to be done very diplomatically.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    My kids are absolutely gorified, but at the same time they are proud as hell Pakistanis and Brits. Mamoon's worst nightmare basically. My relatives are in absolute awe of the tremendous upbringing I have given them and while it's not considered good form to blow your own trumpet, it's a well deserved title.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But...Pakistanis in HK do not converse in Cantonese.Instead, they stick to their Pothwari, Punjabi and Pashto.

Sent from my Lenovo A6000 using Tapatalk

Sehwag and Steyn are the Best.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    The Beefcake Bakery
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1045 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's the big deal?

Overthinking will kill you.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Lenapeistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No big deal. Urdu serves as a lingua Franca in Pakistan so you expect everyone to speak it. What is the point of learning Urdu in western countries? At the most they might learn their native language but who are we to judge. You live your life and let others live theirs.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What are your views on British Pakistanis who can't speak English even after living in England for 10+ years ?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Who cares about Islam? And why should it anger you?

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    But...Pakistanis in HK do not converse in Cantonese.Instead, they stick to their Pothwari, Punjabi and Pashto.

Hong Kong Pakistanis and U.K Pakistanis have different circumstances.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Their life, they can speak whatever they want. Although I do think British Pakistani should speak Urdu or Punjabi, it isn't something that is necessary to survive in Britain. I think people like the OP should be a bit less judgemental and not expect everyone to live by their set standards and rules.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Its not a must to learn the language even if its mother tongue,its good to know but the language should have either literature,influence or a necessity for the children to learn them.

English is growing among young Indians because our education is in English,the movies we like are mostly Hollywood,TV shows,books everything being fed is English.

Hindi is not able to compete one reason being bollywood and Hindi writers aren't that great that they are keeping the majority into the language,even the bollywood songs are now in Punjabi(which has shabby literature itself but a very "loud" culture).

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When I see British Pakistanis who don't even know a single word of Urdu, and just talk english 24 h with their strange accent, it angers me and disappoints me a lot. They look perfectly Pakistani from the outside (that's why at first sight I am happy to see that many people of my community are living here), but when they open their mouth, I literally want to slap them. I mean, most of them don't even have anything in common with Pakistanis (except the looks of course).
    So? Should they be forced to learn urdu? They have Pakistani roots...that's it.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I do think parents shouldn't be lazy and teach their kids Urdu.

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cousins born and bred in England don't know a word of Urdu, hence they are cut off from their relatives who don't happen to live in England. I would be surprised if they remember who their extended family is. I personally think their parents should have spoken in Urdu with them due to a fact living in England they will learn English anyway.

It is also a good thing for one who happens to speak and understand multiple languages.

The Underdogs

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not all Pakistani's mother language is Urdu though. Some speak Pashto, Pathwari, Hinko etc.

However it is dissapointing yes. Some don't know the culture, history of Pakistan and end up assuming negative regarding the country.

Some don't even know where there parents are from back home!

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    The thing I find most funny is when I see Pakistani parents speak broken English with their kids because they were too lazy to teach them their mother tongue. It's ridiculous from these Pakistani parents. I would definitely teach my kids Urdu.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    First of all, technically speaking, there is no such thing as 'British Pakistanis'. They, like me, are British citizens of Pakistani origin, either directly by being born in Pakistan (like me), or indirectly because their parents and/or grandparents were born in Pakistan.

Secondly, they, and/or their parents, and/or their grandparents, left Pakistan to make a new life in the UK. Had they wanted to 'remain Pakistanis', they would have remained in Pakistan and not emigrated to the UK!

And last, but not least, it's a bit rich of you, who's obviously also currently living in the UK, to be pontificating about British citizens of Pakistani origin who are living in the UK.

If it angers you so much then there's a simple remedy to assuage your anger .... getting down to Heathrow asap might help ...

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Its not a must to learn the language even if its mother tongue,its good to know but the language should have either literature,influence or a necessity for the children to learn them.

English is growing among young Indians because our education is in English,the movies we like are mostly Hollywood,TV shows,books everything being fed is English.

Hindi is not able to compete one reason being bollywood and Hindi writers aren't that great that they are keeping the majority into the language,even the bollywood songs are now in Punjabi(which has shabby literature itself but a very "loud" culture).
    Punjabi has a loud culture because that is their culture. That's no reason it should become a dominant voice unless Bollywood itself is just aiming to the mass market. That's capitalism for you, can't argue against the market.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Lenapeistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UP View Post
    My cousins born and bred in England don't know a word of Urdu, hence they are cut off from their relatives who don't happen to live in England. I would be surprised if they remember who their extended family is. I personally think their parents should have spoken in Urdu with them due to a fact living in England they will learn English anyway.

It is also a good thing for one who happens to speak and understand multiple languages.
    It's a good thing. But saying I am disappointed and angry over Pakistani origin people speaking Englsih is not a good thing. People should be able to speak whatever language they want.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good. Urdu was never the language of 90% of Pakistanis, I'm happy it's being replaced with English. English should always have been the national language, not Urdu.
    It should be Urdu.
    Last edited by The Last Of The Stars; 25th July 2016 at 06:23.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get this dual tag of British Pakistani. Either you are a British or a Pakistani. I can't force anyone, but it should be one.

I know some have an emotional attachment to Pakistan more than just Cricket, but they live outside because of personal compulsions, such cases are respectable. But there are some who only support Pakistan's cricket team, while on the other hand they happily live outside, such people better call themselves British.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adil_94 View Post
    Hong Kong Pakistanis and U.K Pakistanis have different circumstances.

Elaborate.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So this angers you, disappoints you and you want to slap them?

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    What's the big deal?
    It is a big deal when they visit Pakistan and can not communicate with their relatives, especially those relatives who dont speak English.

What is the problem with teaching kids an extra language? If you want to learn languages the best time for that is in childhood.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

certainly you never been in touch with kids who are born in HK. be they are Pakistani or Indians.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Language is not a problem, you learn language IF that language is spoken at your home OR been taught in school.
    Kids who speak fluent Urdu/Punjabi because that's the language their parents use at home and their parents are fluent in English and that's where kids pick up language. But they can't write Urdu because that's not been taught in schools.

one thing I noticed that British Pakistani are most confused among Pakistanis living abroad. and there are many factors, be it religious, be it culture

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Brother it is a personal choice. It is not an Obligation for them to know Urdu language.

I know some Britain born Britishers of Pakistani Origin who are leading a successful worldly life in UK and they fulfil their religious obligations to its core aswell and have a strong connection with Religion. They are lawyers, doctors, engineers, chartered accountants, pharmacists etc who speak fluent Urdu, can write Urdu and can read Urdu.

Credit for this goes to their parents who had the will and time to teach their children.

As far as attitude & behaviour is concerned than that has alot to do with the upbringing of a child.

As far as language is concerned it is totally a personal choice. So you should not be angry at them.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asim2Good View Post
    certainly you never been in touch with kids who are born in HK. be they are Pakistani or Indians.
    Not really.I'm HK-born.It is very very rare especially amongst Pakistanis.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really.I'm HK-born.It is very very rare especially amongst Pakistanis.

not the case for last about 20 years or so, alot of kids are hk born now. looks like you are not in touch with Pakistani community here OR not in touch with younger generation.
    and they speak fluent cantonese among each other as their first choice language.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asim2Good View Post
    not the case for last about 20 years or so, alot of kids are hk born now. looks like you are not in touch with Pakistani community here OR not in touch with younger generation.
    and they speak fluent cantonese among each other as their first choice language.
    Maybe we are living in different countries.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know people living in India who cant speak local languages fluently , whats the big deal really ?

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jusarrived View Post
    I know people living in India who cant speak local languages fluently , whats the big deal really ?
    nothing really, just OP's opinion.
    there are many Pakistanis, born n raised in Pakistan who are not fluent in Urdu

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    My kids are absolutely gorified, but at the same time they are proud as hell Pakistanis and Brits. Mamoon's worst nightmare basically. My relatives are in absolute awe of the tremendous upbringing I have given them and while it's not considered good form to blow your own trumpet, it's a well deserved title.
    The balance between the strengths of our desi culture such as respect for elders in and outside the family and the prevailing culture amongst the working class( basically a euphuism for the poor) of no respect to anyone or anything is being lost. Too many kids of PK culture don't understand that these societies are built on hard work and if you fuse the best of our culture with the best of British, you can't go wrong.
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 26th July 2016 at 08:55.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Why? The majority language of Pakistan for its first 20 years was Bengali. You should learn that before you knock British citizens for not knowing Urdu.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The 'mother tongue' of those British citizens born in and living in Britain, no matter what their ethnic origin, is and should be english not urdu. And that also applies to those whose parents and/or grandparents were born in Pakistan.

UK citizens of Pakistani origin are British because they, or their parents and/or grandparents, decided to emigrate out of Pakistan in order to try and create a better life in the UK for themselves and their children. Had they wanted to remain being Pakistanis then they would have remained in Pakistan instead of emigrating to the UK and becoming UK citizens.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Urdu isn't the mother tongue for most Pakistanis apart from Muhajirs and some Urban elites so why would it be the mother tongue of British born people who are of Pakistani origin. When the majority of the British Pakistani migrant population comes from Azad Kashmir and Pothwari area who speak Pothwari as their native language why would they learn Urdu as well. Also while knowing Urdu Pothwari Punjabi is a good attribute to have its isn't necessary while living in the UK knowing English is the most important here.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Punjabi has a loud culture because that is their culture. That's no reason it should become a dominant voice unless Bollywood itself is just aiming to the mass market. That's capitalism for you, can't argue against the market.
    Punjabi is my culture as well but growing up in a South Indian culture one can easily appreciate the importance of literature,Punjabi is just folk songs and now alcoholic songs,the only credible literature or art is basically Sikhism and its related paintings,the gurudwaras and Guru Granth Sahib.

They are just lucky they are right now in a time when things like alcohol,dance,clothes,songs are given massive importance over things like literature/scientific knowledge in regional language.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Punjabi is my culture as well but growing up in a South Indian culture one can easily appreciate the importance of literature,Punjabi is just folk songs and now alcoholic songs,the only credible literature or art is basically Sikhism and its related paintings,the gurudwaras and Guru Granth Sahib.

They are just lucky they are right now in a time when things like alcohol,dance,clothes,songs are given massive importance over things like literature/scientific knowledge in regional language.
    Scientific knowledge in regional languages? Lol....who will read those Scientific books in Tamil and Malyalam? No Indian Language can compete with English as the preferred choice for Science, not even Hindi forget any Southie Language.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all there should be no national language, Pakistan should have adopted Urdu and English as official languages.

Regional languages should be promoted, they are your identity, country maps keep changing. Shahid Afridi jokingly said Irfan Pathan is a fake Pathan because he cannot speak Pashto, what about 100m Pakistani Punjabi's then? Fake pseudo Punjabi's!

In India only 40% population has Hindi as first language, Hindi is first language in 8 States out of total 25 plus States. Hindi belt is poorest in India. India never adopted Hindi as national language that's why English has penetrated much more.

India has the second largest number of English speakers, USA is first. India has more people who speak English as second language or understand English than any other country in the world.

Pakistanis shunned their local languages in past. You reserved Punjabi for uncouth populace. Now when same treatment is metted out to Urdu you are concerned, Urdu is a foreign language to Pakistanis.

In India, regional identity is very strong. Just check the sales of regional newspapers and number of TV channels on air. No surprise lnguages like Tamil, Telugu, Bengali have one of largest speakers in World. India is home to so many languages.
    Last edited by Tera Gawaandi; 26th July 2016 at 22:57.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    born in uk, still live here, parents both are punjabis, i can speak punjabi very good- but ofcourse not fluidly like a proper punjabi back home, parents can talk urdu, however i cannot talk it at all - i can understand it.... dont make me a bad person in any way

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Lenapeistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tera Gawaandi View Post
    Regional languages should be promoted, they are your identity, country maps keep changing. Shahid Afridi jokingly said Irfan Pathan is a fake Pathan because he cannot speak Pashto, what about 100m Pakistani Punjabi's then? Fake pseudo Punjabi's!
    What about 100 million Pakistani punjabis? All most all Punjabis speak Punjabi when talking with each other. Don't open your mouth about something you don't know.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Toronto-Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tera Gawaandi View Post
    First of all there should be no national language, Pakistan should have adopted Urdu and English as official languages.

In India only 40% population has Hindi as first language, Hindi is first language in 8 States out of total 25 plus States. Hindi belt is poorest in India. India never adopted Hindi as national language that's why English has penetrated much more.

India has the second largest number of English speakers, USA is first. India has more people who speak English as second language or understand English than any other country in the world.

Pakistanis shunned their local languages in past. You reserved Punjabi for uncouth populace. Now when same treatment is metted out to Urdu you are concerned, Urdu is a foreign language to Pakistanis.

In India, regional identity is very strong. Just check the sales of regional newspapers and number of TV channels on air. No surprise lnguages like Tamil, Telugu, Bengali have one of largest speakers in World. India is home to so many languages.
    Sorry to say but you do not know much about the linguistics of Pakistan. Regional languages are widely spoken in Pakistan, Punjabi is spoken by almost every one in Punjab, Pashto spoken by everyone is Khyber Pukhthunkhwa so on and so forth. Urdu is used as a unifying language so people in Peshawar can easily talk to those in Karachi. It does not mean and Pashtuns have forgotten Pashto.