Instagram

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 81 to 142 of 142
  1. #81
    Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    12,953
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mz123 View Post
    When I see British Pakistanis who don't even know a single word of Urdu, and just talk english 24 h with their strange accent, it angers me and disappoints me a lot. They look perfectly Pakistani from the outside (that's why at first sight I am happy to see that many people of my community are living here), but when they open their mouth, I literally want to slap them. I mean, most of them don't even have anything in common with Pakistanis (except the looks of course).
    Because they have assimilated duh. Why would you expect them to live and behave like those living in Pakistan ?

  2. #82
    Debut
    May 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    721
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finalfantasy7 View Post
    born in uk, still live here, parents both are punjabis, i can speak punjabi very good- but ofcourse not fluidly like a proper punjabi back home, parents can talk urdu, however i cannot talk it at all - i can understand it.... dont make me a bad person in any way
    no man, you can speak punjabi, this is good enough. You come from punjab.....

  3. #83
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    19,749
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saeed View Post
    What about 100 million Pakistani punjabis? All most all Punjabis speak Punjabi when talking with each other. Don't open your mouth about something you don't know.
    The Pakistani Punjabis take no pride in being Punjabi,have seen so many of them consider it paindoo so yeah please.


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  4. #84
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Lenapeistan
    Runs
    9,902
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    The Pakistani Punjabis take no pride in being Punjabi,have seen so many of them consider it paindoo so yeah please.
    We don't need to shove it down other people's throat. Punjabis are majority in Pakistan and that alone is enough. Only minorities talk and look good when talking about pride non sense. So no please. You don't need to tell me anything. I am a Punjabi myself.

  5. #85
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    12,332
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I want my kids to be fluent in Pothwari but because they live in the UK and they see and speak English all day, it's become more more difficult to get them to even utter a few phrases in Pothwari but I never understand why the Indians are obsessed with English. I understand English is a major international language but every Indian Actor, politician or sportsman bursts into English every sentence even when the questions are asked in Hindi. I have never known a people have such an inferiority complex, why is that?

  6. #86
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    19,749
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    I want my kids to be fluent in Pothwari but because they live in the UK and they see and speak English all day, it's become more more difficult to get them to even utter a few phrases in Pothwari but I never understand why the Indians are obsessed with English. I understand English is a major international language but every Indian Actor, politician or sportsman bursts into English every sentence even when the questions are asked in Hindi. I have never known a people have such an inferiority complex, why is that?
    When the question is in English they reply in English ,when its in Hindi they reply in Hindi not sure what you talking about,most of our politicians including Modi(who recently picked up on English) have done so because whole of India doesn't speak one language so English is the lingua franca,a person from Manipur or Tamil Nadu would understand more if they speak English.

    Politicians speak English in the parliament because of similar reason,they speak regional language if they can't speak English.So its not inferiority complex its rather something like not imposing "Urdu on Bengali population".

    The ones who don't speak Hindi while working in something Hindi/Urdu oriented(Bollywood) are dumb bolly star kids.


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  7. #87
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    275
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    I want my kids to be fluent in Pothwari but because they live in the UK and they see and speak English all day, it's become more more difficult to get them to even utter a few phrases in Pothwari but I never understand why the Indians are obsessed with English. I understand English is a major international language but every Indian Actor, politician or sportsman bursts into English every sentence even when the questions are asked in Hindi. I have never known a people have such an inferiority complex, why is that?
    Anything to replicate the White Man.

  8. #88
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    12,332
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    When the question is in English they reply in English ,when its in Hindi they reply in Hindi not sure what you talking about,most of our politicians including Modi(who recently picked up on English) have done so because whole of India doesn't speak one language so English is the lingua franca,a person from Manipur or Tamil Nadu would understand more if they speak English.

    Politicians speak English in the parliament because of similar reason,they speak regional language if they can't speak English.So its not inferiority complex its rather something like not imposing "Urdu on Bengali population".

    The ones who don't speak Hindi while working in something Hindi/Urdu oriented(Bollywood) are dumb bolly star kids.
    Obviously you don't watch the interviews that I watch, just watch any Indian show or interview and watch out for what I am saying. I have never seen any people except Indians and on a smaller scale PK's do this.

  9. #89
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Lenapeistan
    Runs
    9,902
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Obviously you don't watch the interviews that I watch, just watch any Indian show or interview and watch out for what I am saying. I have never seen any people except Indians and on a smaller scale PK's do this.
    Like this one?
    https://youtu.be/0smk06TvKFA

  10. #90
    Debut
    Jun 2016
    Venue
    Faisalabad
    Runs
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So majorityy of our Pakistani Peoples speaks English so that they don't worry about it..

  11. #91
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,078
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Obviously you don't watch the interviews that I watch, just watch any Indian show or interview and watch out for what I am saying. I have never seen any people except Indians and on a smaller scale PK's do this.
    India is different from Pakistan in that India has a population who speak a lot of languages. Pakistan does as well but Urdu is the national language of the country which is not the same case with India. Hence when a cricketer knows English, it makes sense that he replies in English because he caters to the entire 1.2 billion multilingual population of India.

    Of course, when two normal people know hindi (or any other regional language) and still converse in English, then it maybe a case of inferiority complex.

    Also Bollywood actors doing that is strange too because they cater to the hindi speaking population.
    Last edited by street cricketer; 27th July 2016 at 17:55.

  12. #92
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    31,034
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    I want my kids to be fluent in Pothwari but because they live in the UK and they see and speak English all day, it's become more more difficult to get them to even utter a few phrases in Pothwari but I never understand why the Indians are obsessed with English. I understand English is a major international language but every Indian Actor, politician or sportsman bursts into English every sentence even when the questions are asked in Hindi. I have never known a people have such an inferiority complex, why is that?
    Its not inferiority complex though it may appear that way.

    Its about what people are comfortable in.

    I know loads of fellas who prefer English cos they just are extremely comfortable with it.


    I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

  13. #93
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    399
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Its not inferiority complex though it may appear that way.

    Its about what people are comfortable in.

    I know loads of fellas who prefer English cos they just are extremely comfortable with it.
    Yes born in India among a non-English atmosphere but somehow got more comfortable in English than even their Mother Tongue.

    Only Indians in the whole world are capable of such feat.

  14. #94
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    12,332
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Its not inferiority complex though it may appear that way.

    Its about what people are comfortable in.

    I know loads of fellas who prefer English cos they just are extremely comfortable with it.
    Which is fine, but if the questions are asked in Hindi and I take it that these people can speak fluent Hindi, why not answer in Hindi and when the questions are asked in English, answer in English. Even better. Why not ask for the whole interview to be in English. I personally feel that for all the talk about Hindu nationalism and the cosmetic changes like place names, our Indian friends have deep inferiority complex of white people.

  15. #95
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    399
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    India is different from Pakistan in that India has a population who speak a lot of languages. Pakistan does as well but Urdu is the national language of the country which is not the same case with India. Hence when a cricketer knows English, it makes sense that he replies in English because he caters to the entire 1.2 billion multilingual population of India.

    Of course, when two normal people know hindi (or any other regional language) and still converse in English, then it maybe a case of inferiority complex.

    Also Bollywood actors doing that is strange too because they cater to the hindi speaking population.
    A Cricketer can connect to more people in India by speaking in Hindi than in English.

    Every state is not culturally isolated like Tamil Nadu Macha, step out of it someday and experience how widespread Hindi is.

  16. #96
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Lenapeistan
    Runs
    9,902
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Its not inferiority complex though it may appear that way.

    Its about what people are comfortable in.

    I know loads of fellas who prefer English cos they just are extremely comfortable with it.
    In perumanadu we always speak English because it's much easier to get our points across. Now my head is paining from headache.

  17. #97
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    24,333
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by santos11 View Post
    Yes born in India among a non-English atmosphere but somehow got more comfortable in English than even their Mother Tongue.

    Only Indians in the whole world are capable of such feat.
    Ouch!

    This is why I was laughing at the lectures from some of the earlier posters from Parosis that some Pakistanis hadn't protected their local languages. It just sounds absurd coming from those whose blockbuster films are littered with English cool-speak and trendy western clothing.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  18. #98
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,078
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Its not inferiority complex though it may appear that way.

    Its about what people are comfortable in.

    I know loads of fellas who prefer English cos they just are extremely comfortable with it.
    I don't agree with it.

    When you are more comfortable in a foreign language than your mother tongue (be it hindi or urdu or bengali), then it's indeed a crying shame imo if that person is not living in the west.

  19. #99
    Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    609
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Which is fine, but if the questions are asked in Hindi and I take it that these people can speak fluent Hindi, why not answer in Hindi and when the questions are asked in English, answer in English. Even better. Why not ask for the whole interview to be in English. I personally feel that for all the talk about Hindu nationalism and the cosmetic changes like place names, our Indian friends have deep inferiority complex of white people.
    Hindu Nationalists are proud Hindi speakers and cultural traditionalists but they are very low compared to the largely vocal Secular, Liberal brigade that takes pride in talking, dressing and aping everything a White man does.

    We were formerly slaves of the British who taught basic civilization to the primitive Indians. To be able to talk in language of our colonial masters is an uplift in social standing.

    Also it has helped India emerge as a Global Powerhouse in Call Center business ( 2nd only to Philippines - country with the lowest IQ in East Asia). So win-win in the longer run.

  20. #100
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,078
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by santos11 View Post
    A Cricketer can connect to more people in India by speaking in Hindi than in English.

    Every state is not culturally isolated like Tamil Nadu Macha, step out of it someday and experience how widespread Hindi is.
    I don't know what you mean by cultural isolation mate (we aren't eskimos lol) and neither does everyone in TN are ignorant of hindi (I can understand it mostly, except the complex words). It's a myth that everyone hates hindi in TN. Similarly not everyone outside of TN knows hindi as well. I don't want to derail the thread any further.

  21. #101
    Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    641
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More Indians than Pakistanis posting in a thread over the topic of British Pakistanis. Only on PP.

  22. #102
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    31,034
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    That's exactly where some of you are wrong.

    English in some households are very commonly used along with mother tongue. Add to that, if the kids have a friend circle (especially those with different mother tongues), they all start bonding each other in English mixed in with other languages.

    This is not common but happens.

    If you see some movies of say Gautham Menon movies, you will see VERY VERY common usage of English along with Tamil.

    Some households are like that.

    When kids grow up in that as well as interact a lot with friends that way, they become proficient and tend to switch to English a lot.

    Whether its inferiority complex or not...I will leave it to you to judge but when you can sense whether someone is naturally like that and someone is being a bit of a wannabee.

    I know friends (some) who are naturally like that. I have another friend who is equally good at Tamil and English but likes to switch to English during arguments or when making a point in public. He is an alpha dude and never once has someone accused him of having an inferiority complex.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 27th July 2016 at 20:39.


    I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

  23. #103
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    24,333
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    That's exactly where some of you are wrong.

    English in some households are very commonly used along with mother tongue. Add to that, if the kids have a friend circle (especially those with different mother tongues), they all start bonding each other in English mixed in with other languages.

    This is not common but happens.

    If you see some movies of say Gautham Menon movies, you will see VERY VERY common usage of English along with Tamil.

    Some households are like that.

    When kids grow up in that as well as interact a lot with friends that way, they become proficient and tend to switch to English a lot.

    Whether its inferiority complex or not...I will leave it to you to judge but when you can sense whether someone is naturally like that and someone is being a bit of a wannabee.

    I know friends (some) who are naturally like that. I have another friend who is equally good at Tamil and English but likes to switch to English during arguments or when making a point in public. He is an alpha dude and never once has someone accused him of having an inferiority complex.
    This isn't that far from why Urdu is spoken in some parts of Pakistan where they have their own local language like Punjabi. Fact is, Urdu translates from as far as Bangladesh to Afghanistan. It's a common tongue as they would say in GoT, but some people like to make it a stick to bash other regions with.

    But at least Urdu has some connection to the region, I'm not sure what connection English has to India, other than colonial slavery.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  24. #104
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    31,034
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Which is fine, but if the questions are asked in Hindi and I take it that these people can speak fluent Hindi, why not answer in Hindi and when the questions are asked in English, answer in English. Even better. Why not ask for the whole interview to be in English. I personally feel that for all the talk about Hindu nationalism and the cosmetic changes like place names, our Indian friends have deep inferiority complex of white people.
    Yeah they could do that.

    Yes, there is some inferiority complex reg white people (in a lot of things) and there is some inferiority complex reg our language...its a desi trait and something which I don't contest. Maybe Pakistanis are more proud of their language which could also be true.

    But I was making a small point that some just naturally and instinctively switch to English in public cos its how they have been doing things. For some, it is complex. For some, it is not.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 27th July 2016 at 20:48.


    I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

  25. #105
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    31,034
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    This isn't that far from why Urdu is spoken in some parts of Pakistan where they have their own local language like Punjabi. Fact is, Urdu translates from as far as Bangladesh to Afghanistan. It's a common tongue as they would say in GoT, but some people like to make it a stick to bash other regions with.

    But at least Urdu has some connection to the region, I'm not sure what connection English has to India, other than colonial slavery.
    huh?


    I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

  26. #106
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    24,333
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I'm referring to the common accusation that some regions adopted Urdu and neglected their local dialect. It's been a recurring theme and mentioned a few times in this thread if you want to read back.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  27. #107
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    31,034
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    English has a connection cos its the global language and everyone aspires to learn it.

    Not saying there is no inferiority complex in anybody who uses English a lot....we make fun of burger kids too (peter) haha....but everyone who switches to English in certain situations doesn't have to be one with an inferiority complex.

    There are households where kids are just exposed to a lot of English words mixed in with mothertongue and they just grow up that way. I am not talking about households where people INTENTIONALLY plan to talk in English leaving aside mother tongue (that's just weird and sad). I am talking about households where the words get mixed in more commonly and that leads to this attitude.


    I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

  28. #108
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    8,158
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is the purpose of Urdu or Hindi or any language in England?

    With in 1 or 2 generations, their mother tongue will change to English anyway.

  29. #109
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    11,264
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    What is the purpose of Urdu or Hindi or any language in England?

    With in 1 or 2 generations, their mother tongue will change to English anyway.
    Each language should be preserved, as it is more than a collection of words, but is a whole culture in itself. Always found Urdu pleasant to hear, and Hindi more elegant and sophisticated, in fact arguably the best sounding language is Hindi. English sounds too much business like.


    Narendra Modi and Imran Khan Zindabad! NOT

  30. #110
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,078
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Each language should be preserved, as it is more than a collection of words, but is a whole culture in itself. Always found Urdu pleasant to hear, and Hindi more elegant and sophisticated, in fact arguably the best sounding language is Hindi. English sounds too much business like.
    Bengali?

  31. #111
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Germany
    Runs
    17,213
    Mentioned
    928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    People who cannot speak their mother tongue lack in confidence in most cases....it is absolutely important to be able to speak your own language.

    Here in Germany it is nearly forced by Kindergarten teachers to speak your mother tongue at home as it makes the child more confident.


    جاگن والیاں رجّ کے لٹیا اے،
    سوئے تسیں وی او، سوئے اسیں وی آں۔

  32. #112
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    519
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm a Canadian Pakistani and I can't speak Urdu, I can understand most of it but I have hard time speaking it

    I can however speak pretty good Punjabi

  33. #113
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    13,722
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the time of this thread, my Urdu itself was bad, obviously I've always understood it but speaking wise it was bad. However, since I started Uni in September 2017 I became very motivated to start speaking Urdu as there were a lot of international students and my Urdu has come leaps and bounds from then, and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it now. I also would like to learn how to read and write in Urdu, but for now I just want to become as good as possible at speaking in it, it's unlikely I'll ever become fluent to the level of a native speaker though, so I regret not speaking urdu at home from a younger age.

    But yeah, I don't rate these British Pakistani coconuts who can't speak a word of Urdu. Obviously being fluent is different, but if you can barely speak it that's pathetic, this mainly applies to the 'cool' teenagers

  34. #114
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    19,749
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    At the time of this thread, my Urdu itself was bad, obviously I've always understood it but speaking wise it was bad. However, since I started Uni in September 2017 I became very motivated to start speaking Urdu as there were a lot of international students and my Urdu has come leaps and bounds from then, and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it now. I also would like to learn how to read and write in Urdu, but for now I just want to become as good as possible at speaking in it, it's unlikely I'll ever become fluent to the level of a native speaker though, so I regret not speaking urdu at home from a younger age.

    But yeah, I don't rate these British Pakistani coconuts who can't speak a word of Urdu. Obviously being fluent is different, but if you can barely speak it that's pathetic, this mainly applies to the 'cool' teenagers
    My Hindi wasnt great till I joined college (partly coz I grew up in South) but it improved a lot and am glad about that literature /friends/songs help a lot as well,you are right about the cool teenagers ,very shallow but tbf they are young..

  35. #115
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    2,499
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel sad for them but won't fault them. After all it should have been their parents responsibility.

  36. #116
    Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    14,863
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I can never feel sad for British Pakistanis for some reason.

  37. #117
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    2,147
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't mind British Pakistanis who can't speak Urdu. But i despise the ones who would ramble on and on in Punjabi without noticing that some of the people sitting around them may not have a clue of what they are saying.

  38. #118
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    255
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are u kidding?
    Most if not all Pakistani kids can speak decent amount of Urdu even if it is in their English accent.
    Also imo British Pakistanis are better followers of Islam than some of the Pakistanis. They give more respect to their religion.

  39. #119
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    22,826
    Mentioned
    1255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by santos11 View Post
    A Cricketer can connect to more people in India by speaking in Hindi than in English.

    Every state is not culturally isolated like Tamil Nadu Macha, step out of it someday and experience how widespread Hindi is.
    In India, are there more people who can speak hindi or English?


    #MPGA

  40. #120
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    19,749
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    In India, are there more people who can speak hindi or English?
    Hindi ..why would there be more with English..

  41. #121
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    22,826
    Mentioned
    1255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Hindi ..why would there be more with English..
    so why this ridiculous logic that hindi cannot be the language to communicate in whole india and it should be english since more people can understand it across the country?


    #MPGA

  42. #122
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    36,119
    Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Hindi ..why would there be more with English..
    Then why all your tv ads in English. I always thought its because a big chunk of Indians don't speak any Hindi.


    #Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

  43. #123
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    16,713
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Urdu is true national language of Pakistan. I realized its importance when communicating with different ethnic groups of Pakistan. They all can communicate to each other in Urdu only.

    All non-resident Pakistanis should teach their kids to speak in Urdu. Its definitely a link to Pakistan.

  44. #124
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    13,722
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a_tahir View Post
    Who are u kidding?
    Most if not all Pakistani kids can speak decent amount of Urdu even if it is in their English accent.
    Also imo British Pakistanis are better followers of Islam than some of the Pakistanis. They give more respect to their religion.
    It depends really. You get the white/black wannabes who don't associate with Pakistan at all and those are the type of people I don't like tbh.

    Regarding your second point about them being better followers of Islam than some Pakistanis, I do agree with you a bit. At University, I haven't met many British Pakistani's who drink alcohol, eat haram food etc but I've met LOADS of international students who do these type of things.

  45. #125
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    19,749
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    so why this ridiculous logic that hindi cannot be the language to communicate in whole india and it should be english since more people can understand it across the country?
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Then why all your tv ads in English. I always thought its because a big chunk of Indians don't speak any Hindi.
    It's because every region has it's own language and Hindi is spoken but not necessarily read across the country..It would be unfair to declare a national language to other states except MP/UP those two states don't even try to learn other languages of the country.

    For ads it's probably coz it's hip I guess..but as said that coz they target youth and I feel we have it in both languages..I see ads being dubbed in Punjabi/Tamil ..

  46. #126
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    12,332
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    My mother language is pothwari but my spoken Urdu is pretty ropey but I understand it perfectly well.

  47. #127
    Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    14,863
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    so why this ridiculous logic that hindi cannot be the language to communicate in whole india and it should be english since more people can understand it across the country?
    Hindi is spoken by around 40% of the population and thanks to bollywood is understood throughout the breadth of the country. Now coming to your question, it's because of Central Govt's policies to spread Hindi in the south which peeved them off big time since they considered it as an forceful imposition of the language from Delhi.
    Classic case of incompetence from authorities who didn't do anything to allay such apprehensions and situation worsened to the point that there were riots in TN during 60s against this 'perceived' threat to their culture. Anyway even though the situation is cool now a days, the fear lingered on and I think this might be the reason why many of them choose to give priority to English for communication.

  48. #128
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    7,027
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blame the parents for their kids not being able to speak Urdu. Had they themselves spoken it their kids would naturally have had learnt it when growing up. Imagine a native English speaker not being able to engage in the language.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  49. #129
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    31,188
    Mentioned
    564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It depends if they visit Pakistan or have a lot of family which speaks Urdu, it's very poor if they dont know. If they dont ever go to Pakistan, have no relatives which speak Urdu to them, then no issue. Why learn something which you would never need to use.

    Personally, I can understand most of it and speak enough to get by but can't write it, apart from my name.

    It's a shame as I would love to speak it fluently, it's such a beautiful language to hear. I sometimes watch Pakistani news channels just to hear some Urdu but only headline news not debates. lol


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  50. #130
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    22,826
    Mentioned
    1255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TM Riddle View Post
    Hindi is spoken by around 40% of the population and thanks to bollywood is understood throughout the breadth of the country. Now coming to your question, it's because of Central Govt's policies to spread Hindi in the south which peeved them off big time since they considered it as an forceful imposition of the language from Delhi.
    Classic case of incompetence from authorities who didn't do anything to allay such apprehensions and situation worsened to the point that there were riots in TN during 60s against this 'perceived' threat to their culture. Anyway even though the situation is cool now a days, the fear lingered on and I think this might be the reason why many of them choose to give priority to English for communication.
    interesting. i mean it doesnt make sense to me but i guess it is what it is.


    #MPGA

  51. #131
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    16,713
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    It depends if they visit Pakistan or have a lot of family which speaks Urdu, it's very poor if they dont know. If they dont ever go to Pakistan, have no relatives which speak Urdu to them, then no issue. Why learn something which you would never need to use.

    Personally, I can understand most of it and speak enough to get by but can't write it, apart from my name.

    It's a shame as I would love to speak it fluently, it's such a beautiful language to hear. I sometimes watch Pakistani news channels just to hear some Urdu but only headline news not debates. lol
    thread is about speaking Urdu not writing Urdu; writing Urdu is hard but speaking is easy

  52. #132
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    2,245
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No big deal.

  53. #133
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    24,333
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    I blame the parents for their kids not being able to speak Urdu. Had they themselves spoken it their kids would naturally have had learnt it when growing up. Imagine a native English speaker not being able to engage in the language.
    It's perfectly natural if you think about it. The first generation of parents spoke their own language because they were brought up in Pakistan, these days you are getting kids who are the product of British born parents who themselves can barely speak Urdu. You can't really blame parents for not teaching a language they don't know themselves. If it was taught at school that would be the best alternative, but I doubt it is available on a British school curriculum.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  54. #134
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    1,224
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    It depends if they visit Pakistan or have a lot of family which speaks Urdu, it's very poor if they dont know. If they dont ever go to Pakistan, have no relatives which speak Urdu to them, then no issue. Why learn something which you would never need to use.

    Personally, I can understand most of it and speak enough to get by but can't write it, apart from my name.

    It's a shame as I would love to speak it fluently, it's such a beautiful language to hear. I sometimes watch Pakistani news channels just to hear some Urdu but only headline news not debates. lol
    No doubt, Urdu is such a beautiful language - it has such a grace about it that some of the regional Pakistani dialects can't match. Think of the great Urdu poets, some of whom had a part to play in the formation of Pakistan.

    Like you say, a lot will probably depend on the connection back to Pakistan, how much you visit and also what language you speak with your parents and family members etc. Nevertheless, it would definitely be useful to be able to communicate fluently in Urdu.

  55. #135
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    2,203
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Glad to see Urdu in Pakistan is facing the same fate which Hindi in India is going through. Hindi is promoted by the state, and is claimed as the de facto national language by the hindi imperialists, but is now reduced to a language used to communicate with the labour class. We elites have moved to English as our signature language.
    Is this the same CricketCartoons?

  56. #136
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    13,722
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just cool to be able to speak a different language, something to impress your mates with etc and can make communication easier with people who are not fluent in another English, also can be good as you can have secret conversations openly in front of others if they don't speak that language

  57. #137
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    7,027
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    It's perfectly natural if you think about it. The first generation of parents spoke their own language because they were brought up in Pakistan, these days you are getting kids who are the product of British born parents who themselves can barely speak Urdu. You can't really blame parents for not teaching a language they don't know themselves. If it was taught at school that would be the best alternative, but I doubt it is available on a British school curriculum.
    The mother language should be taught down the generations. If parents can't speak it then the grand parents have to be partly blamed and so forth. This is the only way to preserve any indigenous culture.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  58. #138
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    4,987
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want them to listen to Urdu so badly then go back to Pakistan. They don't need Urdu unless they are socializing within their own relatives/community or travelling back home. They will not be ordering a pizza in Punjabi or answering questions for a job interview in Pashto in the UK.

    My daughter speaks some Urdu/Arabic and Romanian apart from the obvious German and French but we taught her those languages while young and thus more susceptible to learn them easily, mostly because it was to expand the mind and of course because you can communicate with family in their native thing but that wasn't the primary reason.

  59. #139
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    788
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Urdu is not the mother tongue of most of the Pakistani/Kashmiris in the UK.

  60. #140
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    4,130
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salma_T View Post
    But Urdu is not the mother tongue of most of the Pakistani/Kashmiris in the UK.
    You mean paharis/mirpuris.


    "Peace is only made with the powerful"

  61. #141
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    627
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why does it even matter if they can't speak Urdu? Why would they need to speak Urdu in the first place? What a silly thread.

  62. #142
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    999
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something View Post
    Why does it even matter if they can't speak Urdu? Why would they need to speak Urdu in the first place? What a silly thread.
    Because according to Urdu Supremacists, Pakistan = Islam = Urdu so every Pakistani should be able to speak in Urdu and teach it to their future generations even if they dont live in Pakistan.

    What's more ironic is Punjabi's, Mirpuris and Potwaris worrying over the future generations being unable to converse in their Mother Tongue Urdu ( LOL) . Now since when onwards has Urdu become the Mother tongue of Punjabi's, Kashmiris and Potwaris?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •