Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mitchell Starc: Has he finally come of age?

He's already regarded as the best bowler in limited overs cricket, statistically could go down as the best ever. But is he starting to become a fearsome Test bowler as well?

Took 11 for 94 on a pitch that had NOTHING for fast bowlers and took wickets in the first Test. The opposition may not be the best, but those numbers are superlative in any context.

Opinions?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes.

Best pacer across all formats.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This was his biggest test which he passed with flying colours

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Yeah, definitely getting there.

Look, if you're exceptionally good in 1 format, but haven't quite got it right in the other, then it's only a matter of time, because if you have a really strong grasp on certain universal skills in the game be it in t20s, ODIs or tests, then you have the potential to be an all format player (e.g. uncanny ability to pick gaps for batting, timing and swing/seam and speed for pacers).

Obviously it's about using your mind too, as you have to adjust for different formats, which Starc has done here.

Honestly don't know how we'll handle this guy. Younis, Hafeez aur Sarfraz ko ye zinda kha jayega.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The bowler who should be hyped instead of Amir.

Poor guy is playing in a team with no batsmen though.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Amir should watch and learn from Starc

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Happened more than a year ago.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Yeah, definitely getting there.

Look, if you're exceptionally good in 1 format, but haven't quite got it right in the other, then it's only a matter of time, because if you have a really strong grasp on certain universal skills in the game be it in t20s, ODIs or tests, then you have the potential to be an all format player (e.g. uncanny ability to pick gaps for batting, timing and swing/seam and speed for pacers).

Obviously it's about using your mind too, as you have to adjust for different formats, which Starc has done here.

Honestly don't know how we'll handle this guy. Younis, Hafeez aur Sarfraz ko ye zinda kha jayega.
    I disagree. Some bowlers are suited to a particular format. Same with batsmen as well. Starc of course was a bit slow in his Test start but maybe it had to do with him learning how to control his fiery pace.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_KING View Post
    Amir should watch and learn from Starc
    Starc has some intangibles like his height and the bounce he extracts that Amir will never be able to replicate. Amir can't grow another 3-4 inches to reach Starc's height even if he gained an additional 5 kph to be as quick as him.

I think Starc is succeeding on these tracks for 3 main reasons:

1) his bounce...and that is due to his height + pace...Hazlewood is just as tall but not getting that bounce. Tino Best would be as quick but again would not get that bounce. Its a combination. SL tracks are low and slow and Starc is still making the ball to jump.

2) his pace...Starc is probably the fastest bowler in the world atm. Was clocking 149 in Lanka conditions.

3) SL batsmen apart from Mendis and to a lesser extent Mathews, Chandimal, and Perrera suck. The two openers are god awful. Overall SL's batting is middle of the pack.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Starcs new found extra yard of pace is doing wonders

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutdown Corner View Post
    I disagree. Some bowlers are suited to a particular format. Same with batsmen as well. Starc of course was a bit slow in his Test start but maybe it had to do with him learning how to control his fiery pace.
    I think you misread me. Let's take Pujara for instance. He is a pretty good test player, but as I mentioned, you need a strong grasp on a "universal" cricket skill, something which can be applied in all formats. Yes he has resilience and mental durability, but is that really a skill that will help him in t20s? No. So he doesn't really have a skill that can be useful for all formats but, only for tests.

Now take Kohli for e.g. Ability to pick gaps and rotate the strike is a universal skill in that it will yield you results in all formats, and the thing is he does it with such assurance and control that he can easily transfer it format to format. Thus, it's only natural that he has finally showed his class in tests post Aussie tour.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Starc has some intangibles like his height and the bounce he extracts that Amir will never be able to replicate. Amir can't grow another 3-4 inches to reach Starc's height even if he gained an additional 5 kph to be as quick as him.

I think Starc is succeeding on these tracks for 3 main reasons:

1) his bounce...and that is due to his height + pace...Hazlewood is just as tall but not getting that bounce. Tino Best would be as quick but again would not get that bounce. Its a combination. SL tracks are low and slow and Starc is still making the ball to jump.

2) his pace...Starc is probably the fastest bowler in the world atm. Was clocking 149 in Lanka conditions.

3) SL batsmen apart from Mendis and to a lesser extent Mathews, Chandimal, and Perrera suck. The two openers are god awful. Overall SL's batting is middle of the pack.
    Starc's succeeding because of the lateral movement in the air with the new and old ball which SL conditions always provide. Starc's never been a pitch reliant bowler so it doesn't matter if the pitch is a forest or a highway.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    704 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He has been bowling like that over a year now. Extreme pace and late swing. Deadly bowler! Let's see how long he can sustain it now.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1929 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Feasting on Lankan *******

Mein inko rolaonga

NaMo se Namonay tak ka safar..... chaiwala

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    704 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Feasting on Lankan *******
    Apart from maybe Rabada I don't think there's a single fast bowler who can do what he did considering Australian batting and the lack of support from other bowlers.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bowk8ng consistently above 145+, fighting a lone battle. Yes could be a career defining tour for Starc.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Probably the best I've seen him bowl in Tests. Was on the money most of the time and quick too. Well deserved eleven wicket haul. Probably would have ended up with a few more as well actually with a bit of luck. Beat the bat a fair bit.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Agreed, he is a champ. Best bowling by him on a pitch which was supporting spinners.

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Brute of a bowler.

But to be honest, SL bats are woeful against great quality pace which is why he was able to be so successful.

The bouncer...yorker...bouncer formula won't be so effective against stronger batting lineups.

But I do think he is going to improve and become a great test bowler.

The best pacer of our generation by the looks of it.

Magical ODI bowler.

Fast developing test bowler.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Starc's succeeding because of the lateral movement in the air with the new and old ball which SL conditions always provide. Starc's never been a pitch reliant bowler so it doesn't matter if the pitch is a forest or a highway.
    i haven't watched much but doesn't look like he's getting a lot of movement with the new ball. he has stated that he is working on his reverse tho.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    I think you misread me. Let's take Pujara for instance. He is a pretty good test player, but as I mentioned, you need a strong grasp on a "universal" cricket skill, something which can be applied in all formats. Yes he has resilience and mental durability, but is that really a skill that will help him in t20s? No. So he doesn't really have a skill that can be useful for all formats but, only for tests.

Now take Kohli for e.g. Ability to pick gaps and rotate the strike is a universal skill in that it will yield you results in all formats, and the thing is he does it with such assurance and control that he can easily transfer it format to format. Thus, it's only natural that he has finally showed his class in tests post Aussie tour.
    You are right for the batsmen. There are universal skills. But I think for bowlers some bowlers may not have the universal skills. You need wicket taking deliveries in Tests, but can get way with it in LOIs.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    He's already regarded as the best bowler in limited overs cricket, statistically could go down as the best ever. But is he starting to become a fearsome Test bowler as well?

Took 11 for 94 on a pitch that had NOTHING for fast bowlers and took wickets in the first Test. The opposition may not be the best, but those numbers are superlative in any context.

Opinions?
    Yes, it's starting to look that way.

Having said that we just can't be sure, because he was bowling to a very poor batting line-up which has lost 4 Test series in quick succession.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's my favourite bowler
    I'm trying my best to copy his action

Sent from my H30-U10 using Tapatalk

May your choices reflect your hope not your fears.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Brute of a bowler.

But to be honest, SL bats are woeful against great quality pace which is why he was able to be so successful.

The bouncer...yorker...bouncer formula won't be so effective against stronger batting lineups.

But I do think he is going to improve and become a great test bowler.

The best pacer of our generation by the looks of it.

Magical ODI bowler.

Fast developing test bowler.
    Funnily enough, Pat Cummins in his debut Test at 18 was a better all-round Test bowler than Starc has ever been. It will be really tragic if he never resumes his Test career - even worse than what happened to Ian Bishop.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Starc is like a young Wasim/Waqar. He's a legend in the making, should his fitness permit.

Apart from Rabada, don't see any young pacer getting anywhere near him.

Kohli, Root, Starc, Rabada - four contemporary cricketers who could end up as good as anyone who has played the game, then people say quality of cricketers have declined too much.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bowling well at the moment, reckon he is a case of the yips waiting to happen though

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never a doubt in my mind he will come good in tests. Too good not to. The more tests he plays the better he will get. His yorker is soooo deadly. Been a fan of his since I 1st saw him play. A terrific bowler. The one bowler in world cricket who scares me. Rabada, fizz,amir,and Hazelwood are good also but starc is something else.

Hopefully we some more quality quick bowlers being produced!!!!!!

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    704 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Funnily enough, Pat Cummins in his debut Test at 18 was a better all-round Test bowler than Starc has ever been. It will be really tragic if he never resumes his Test career - even worse than what happened to Ian Bishop.
    You're comparing a one test wonder to a guy who has taken 100 test wickets @ 27.xx ? Starc is the real deal and he's improving every match he plays. Best fast bowling talent the world has since the arrival of Steyngun.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't be fooled by numbers.. Still either bowls garbage or relies on unplayable deliveries for wickets. His usual issues still remain

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has the best yorker in the world. It's tragic how Pakistan's bowlers have discarded the yorker for good, by the looks of it.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Starc is like a young Wasim/Waqar. He's a legend in the making, should his fitness permit.

Apart from Rabada, don't see any young pacer getting anywhere near him.

Kohli, Root, Starc, Rabada - four contemporary cricketers who could end up as good as anyone who has played the game, then people say quality of cricketers have declined too much.
    Add Williamson and Smith to that list as well. Bowling front, Hazlewood, Joseph, Cummins (if healthy) could join as well.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Mitchell Starc, the Australia fast bowler, talks about his plans for the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019 and is confident of his team's chances in the tournament.

Starc, who was named in Australia's 15-member squad on Monday, 15 April, is gearing up to appear in his second World Cup in a career that's spanned nine years so far. He was rather unequivocal in stating that he viewed the World Cup as the pinnacle of the ODI format.

"In one-day games, the pinnacle is World Cup. No matter where it is. Or who's playing. It's the pinnacle of the game in one-day cricket," said the 29-year-old.

Starc also spoke highly about the 2015 World Cup, when Australia won the title for the fifth time. Prior to that tournament, Australia had played a tri-series against England and India. Starc believes the tri-series offered them good practice and put them in the right frame of mind before the event.

"It was such a special six weeks. It is was probably longer than that for us last time around because we grouped for such a long time. That tri-seies before the World Cup was where we sort of put our foot down to prepare for the World Cup. [With regards to] the team we wanted to be and how we wanted to play."

Starc was the highest wicket-taker in the 2015 edition, with 22 wickets in eight matches at an economy of just 3.50. Now hoping to emulate the same kind of success this time around, the left-arm pacer wants to again play his best cricket.

"It's going to be a great tournament. It's that tournament where it shows how good a team is. You want to be playing your best cricket at the end. You want to make the finals for this. But you want to keep your best cricket for the end. It's a bit different than playing the same team in a few game series."

Australia will carry a strong pace arsenal to England and Wales that include the likes of Pat Cummins, Jason Behrendorff, Jhye Richardson and Nathan Coulter-Nile besides Starc. He is certain that the team has the ability to beat England in England and even go on to win the Ashes.

"If we can beat England in England, win a World cup in England and then win the Ashes in England, there is not too much that an Englishman/Englishwoman can say to knock you down.

You want to make the finals for this. But you want to keep your best cricket for the end.
    Mitchell Starc

Being a fast bowler, injuries have been a part and parcel of Starc's cricketing career. He recently missed the five-match ODI series in India, which the visitors won 3-2, but hopes his body can hold up long enough for him to keep performing for his country.

"Hopefully my body lasts a few more years and I can get a few more wickets along the way for the group. Just loving to be a part of this group of guys and this challenge going forward. And to do it with some of my best mates is pretty special as well."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1192575

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starc's fortunes have fallen considerably since he lost his ability (Smith/Warner) to reverse the ball.

With the return of Smith/Warner, will Starc start taking wickets again?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1637 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He's been Australia's go-to bowler at this World Cup.

What a ball to Stokes.

Superb bowler.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Starc's ability to attack the stumps with pace is unreal. He keeps delivering for Australia on the big stage.
    Last edited by Markhor; 25th June 2019 at 23:09.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1637 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Champion bowler.

Skipper throws him the ball and more often than not he delivers.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Absolute gun of a LO bowler.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ATG ODI bowler

He has delivered when team needed him in this WC

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    Starc's fortunes have fallen considerably since he lost his ability (Smith/Warner) to reverse the ball.

With the return of Smith/Warner, will Starc start taking wickets again?
    Sour grapes if there ever weíre

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Looks like a pacer from the 90s.

Bowlers at the death use tricks like over relying on slower balls, going wide, slow bouncers.

Starc on the other hand is always looking for wickets. A beast.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is so good to watch.Odi ATG already and best odi bowler in the world right now.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just me or do others feel the same, when you watch Starc bowl In this tournament and then compare with what you see most days from Pakistani bowlers, it almost feels like watching club standard bowlers ó this guy is miles ahead in terms of skill, control and overall bowling intelligence.

In fact Hassan Ali and Shaheen have bowled that poorly in last couple of months that if I had my way, would not select them again for any format until they have taken another 100 first class wickets at least at a healthy average, to make them earn their place back.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Sour grapes if there ever we’re
    Why sour?

I am a big Starc fan, you should see my older posts about him but a cheta is a cheat, especially if left unpunished as starc was. Not to mention he could not swing a ball for love nor money while Smarner were away, and all of a sudden he is generating Akram levels of reverse.

I call it how I see it

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    World cup 2015 - 22 wickets at an average of 10.0 and an economy rate of 3.5 PLUS man of the series award

WC 2019 - already at 19 wickets post 7 games, likely to finish close to 25

164 wickets in 82 ODIs

He's already an all-time ODI great bowler. Think of it and what he has achieved and compare it to a big mouth like Akhtar who hardly achieved anything in important tournaments.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is an ODI GOAT, who has already won WC on his own...Imagine if he wins again!! - One of the Best Death bowler of all time... His only issue is, how to remain fit, should probably only play in tournaments, no need to waste him in Bi-leteral, maybe can play one more Cup

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why sour?

I am a big Starc fan, you should see my older posts about him but a cheta is a cheat, especially if left unpunished as starc was. Not to mention he could not swing a ball for love nor money while Smarner were away, and all of a sudden he is generating Akram levels of reverse.

I call it how I see it
    so you are telling smith and warner are tempering the ball

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    What a bowler!

What a champion!

Cometh the hour, cometh the man!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Starc is the undisputed #1 ODI bowler of this era.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy0204 View Post
    so you are telling smith and warner are tempering the ball
    I am saying they did it before...

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Why sour?

I call it how I see it
    Yes smith and warner have invisibility cloak and they wear it to tamper the ball since no camera can spot them.

#MPGA

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An ODI GOAT really.

McGrath, Starc and Lee! Deal with that.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will more than likely finish top wicket taker at this WC.

He really has the fear factor, real throwback bowler.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Australia's Mitchell Starc on track for World Cup history

Mitchell Starc is on track to create World Cup history after his four scalps against England took him back to the top of the tournament's wicket-taker's charts.

Just months after there were calls for his head after a poor home summer, Starc now has 19 wickets at the World Cup at 18.26 for first-placed Australia.

It follows on from his 22 victims in the 2015 event, where he was named player of the tournament with the most wickets alongside New Zealand's Trent Boult.

No bowler in World Cup history has topped the charts twice, while Glenn McGrath's 2007 record of 26 wickets in a single tournament is also under threat.

Notably it comes after Starc's most difficult home summer, where the likes of Shane Warne called for him to be axed after he seemingly lost his rhythm.

"I had a few months to reassess my cricket and how I approached it and that sort of thing," Starc said.

"None of that (criticism) has really mattered to me.

"It's the guys in the change room and the 15 players and staff that we're all playing for.

"It's those moments (with the team that matter) and I will take the criticism from those guys and get better and move forward as a group."

Starc's bowling coach at NSW, Andre Adams, revealed to AAP last month that the left-armer had focused on re-finding his 2015 touch in the lead up to the tournament in the UK.

Sidelined by a pectoral injury, Starc re-watched footage of his last World Cup campaign to try and regain the same feel in his action.

The approach clearly worked, with the 29-year-old again among the most dangerous opening and death bowlers in the competition.

He also provided arguably the ball of the tournament on Tuesday, with a reverse-swinging yorker that clean bowled Ben Stokes and ended any hope of an English comeback in Australia's 64-run win.

"To execute that ball exactly how I wanted to was pleasing for me," Starc said.

"I think the last time we played one another at this ground was that one that came back at him.

"He's a fantastic player and he's one of their key batters ... We knew while he was batting that we couldn't just rest up.

"We had to try and take that wicket. Fortunately got one through the gate but he was batting fantastically well."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/sta...8-e47d533c7983

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Australians reach an extra gear when world cup comes. Amazing stuff by starc he'll join McGrath and Lee in Australia all time ODI 11.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    25 losses in 33 ODIs before Ranchi ODI in March. Aussies came back to win the series 3-2 after trailing 0-2 and since then they have lost only 1 ODI. That Australians are simply incredible would be an understatement.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitchell Starc with another 5-for vs New Zealand today. He's looking on course to finish as the leading wicket-taker for the second World Cup in a row.

Name:  u195.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  90.4 KB

Starc needs 3 more wickets to overtake McGrath as the bowler to have taken the most wickets in a single World Cup tournament.

Name:  u194.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  142.2 KB

Is he already an ODI ATG?

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An odi atg

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starcís career World Cup figures:

16 matches, 46 wickets for 597 runs, avg 13

Absolutely mind boggling figures.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What a champ! Disappointed Amir hasnt added much wickets in last few games.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tempted to name him the best ODI bowler of all time.

To perform like this in two world cups, potentially winning a second one, in a batting era, is incredible, head and shoulders above his peers.

If you pull out the stat book then its very likely you will see Wasim, Donald, Walsh, McGrath etc with similar stats for their era, but this man over here is above the rest in this era of flat tracks, one new ball, bigger bats.

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricFan2012 View Post
    Tempted to name him the best ODI bowler of all time.

To perform like this in two world cups, potentially winning a second one, in a batting era, is incredible, head and shoulders above his peers.

If you pull out the stat book then its very likely you will see Wasim, Donald, Walsh, McGrath etc with similar stats for their era, but this man over here is above the rest in this era of flat tracks, one new ball, bigger bats.
    easy when you barely play. He is always well rested. Team should do that more often. Pakistan should rest amir for fodder odi series/bilateral etc. india should rest bumrah and maybe even shami.
    n.z should rest bout.
    They can play here and there but they should be healthy and fully fit to play in the world cup as that's the most important tournament. Australia is very clever in that regard.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why sour?

I call it how I see it
    more importantly the boy rarely plays. He always gets ample rest. That's the secret.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Better than Wasim Akram in ODIs, so for me he's the best ODI bowler of all time.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What a champ. With him, Australia have the ability to defend anything.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He is an ATG bowler in ODIs

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Mitchell Starc has sent a strong message to Australian selectors after claiming his fourth ten-wicket haul in first class cricket.
    Fresh from claiming five scalps in the first innings against Tasmania, Starc bowled with pace and control in the second to finish the match with stunning figures of 10-60.

The left-armer’s menacing bowling from around the wicket left Tasmania in all sorts as they could only set New South Wales a target of 45 runs to win at Drummoyne Oval.

Overlooked for all but one of the five Ashes Tests in England, Starc is now almost certain to reclaim his spot from Peter Siddle for next month’s first Test against Pakistan.

“I’m not a selector but I see no reason why he’s not there in the first Test match,” star teammate Steve Smith said.

“I think he knows the reasons why he didn’t play in England conditions wise. “But I think when you’re looking at Australia with the wickets here air speed is a big one and he’s got a terrific record in Australia.”

In a miserly 19 overs on a slow wicket on day three, Starc first had Alex Doolan caught at point for seven in his third over, before trapping Jordan Silk lbw on the backfoot for 28.

His spell late in the day was peak Starc. He knocked over Alex Pyecroft with a yorker and then had the ball reversing to remove Sam Rainbird. Starc completed his ten-wicket haul on Monday by bowling Lawrence Neil-Smith.

It comes after he battled for rhythm in his Shield return against Queensland last week.

But Smith said he’d seen a switch flick in the 29-year-old in training since. “I think he struggled a little bit last weekgetting some rhythm, just coming back after a bowling with a Dukes ball, bowling with a Kookaburra for the first time,” Smith said.

“He said that to me and I could see the net we had two days before the game, I was facing him in the nets and things didn’t feel quite right.

“When I left I could just see a difference, I could see it in his run up and it clicked.”

SHAUN MARSH NOT A SPENT FORCE

Shaun Marsh has notched the first double century of his career to send a strong message to Australian selectors that he’s not done yet.

Marsh finished with 214 off 436 balls on Sunday to lift WA to 9(dec)-519 in their first innings.

It’s left Victoria, who posted 341 in their first dig, in a battle for survival with one day remaining.

Victoria finished day three at 1-17 in their second innings, with Australian opener Marcus Harris (8) the early casualty.

Nic Maddinson and Will Pucovski will resume on Monday, with Victoria needing a further 161 runs just to make WA bat again.

Marsh’s previous highest first-class score was the 182 he posted for Australia in a Test win against the West Indies in Hobart in 2015.

“It means a lot,” Marsh said of his double century, which means his name will now go on the WACA honours board.

“To be up on that board now is very humbling. It hasn’t sunk in yet, but it feels very good.” Rising star Josh Philippe (65), Josh Inglis (58), Marcus Stoinis (56) and Hilton Cartwright (42) posted handy scores on the batter-friendly wicket. But it was Marsh who shone the brightest.

Marsh was in the form of his life two summers ago when he plundered 445 runs at 74.16 during Australia’s 4-0 Ashes series victory.

But in the 19 innings since, he has only surpassed 50 once - 60 in a 31-run defeat to India in last year’s Adelaide Test.

Overlooked for this year’s Ashes, Marsh was part of Australia’s World Cup squad before a broken arm ended his campaign.

He acknowledged this was the first summer in years where Test selection wasn’t playing on his mind.

“I’m just going to really enjoy playing for WA this year,” Marsh said. “After my broken arm it took me a while to get a bit of rhythm back. Over the last two or three weeks, I’ve found my touch again and it was nice reward out there to get another hundred.”

KHAWAJA BURNS ANOTHER CHANCE

Time is running out for Usman Khawaja to push for a Test recall, with the Queensland skipper again failing in their Sheffield Shield clash with South Australia at the Gabba.

The stage was set for Khawaja to state his case ahead of the upcoming series against Pakistan when he arrived at the creaselate on Sunday, the Bulls cruising at 1-47 and chasing 150 for victory.

However the elegant left-hander was caught behind for a golden duck to add to a first innings dig of just two, as Queensland lost a remarkable five wickets in 14 balls.

Bulls coach Wade Seccombe admitted Khawaja could count himself unlucky with replays indicating the ball hit his back pad rather than his bat.

“He didn’t have the rub of the green in both innings which is unfortunate given the circumstances but we all know what a great player he is,” he told AAP.

“There is no doubt he is going to score runs at the next level again. “Ussie is (mentally) strong, he is the leader of our group, the life of our dressing room so there are no concerns there - he just didn’t get the chocolates this game.”

Khawaja was overlooked for the final two Ashes Tests in England after making just 122 runs at 20.3 in six innings.

However experts had backed him for a recall in the opening Test against Pakistan starting at the Gabba on November 21 thanksto his stunning baggy green form on home soil.

While his career batting average sits at 40.66 from 44 Tests, Khawaja averages 52.97 in Australia where he has struck sixof his eight centuries. But he appears behind the eight ball as selectors mull over their first Test outfit after his underwhelming Shield return.

Test vice-captain Travis Head is also under pressure after he too squandered another chance to impress, again falling cheaply for South Australia. After a 25-ball first innings duck, he did himself no favours when caught off a loose drive for 12 in the Redbacks’ second dig.

Head had been battling for a baggy green return since his surprise omission from the final Ashes Test but the door appeared ajar after chief selector Trevor Hohns admitted spots were “up for grabs”.

Adding to his chances, all-rounder Mitchell Marsh - who replaced him in the final Ashes Test - broke his hand punching a wall in frustration following his Shield dismissal batting for Western Australia against Tasmania. Another Test threat, NSW left-hander Kurtis Patterson, is battlinga quad complaint.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...6804cd9ced7200
    Last edited by MenInG; 22nd October 2019 at 19:03.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home track bully and minnow bully in test cricket. His record away from home is terrible if you take out West Indies and Sri Lanka. Horrible in UAE and India. Bad in South Africa and really average in England.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danyaalr01 View Post
    Home track bully and minnow bully in test cricket. His record away from home is terrible if you take out West Indies and Sri Lanka. Horrible in UAE and India. Bad in South Africa and really average in England.
    That will change after this Pakistan tour..

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone View Post
    That will change after this Pakistan tour..
    The tour is in Australia. I wrote home track bully.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    You're comparing a one test wonder to a guy who has taken 100 test wickets @ 27.xx ? Starc is the real deal and he's improving every match he plays. Best fast bowling talent the world has since the arrival of Steyngun.
    Wow, itís nice to actually get one thing right every five years!

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Better than Wasim Akram in ODIs, so for me he's the best ODI bowler of all time.
    You sure about that?

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sure about that?
    I agree. I still don't rate him. his record is padded. wasim was far more lethal imo.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyron_woodley View Post
    I agree. I still don't rate him. his record is padded. wasim was far more lethal imo.
    Also Starc has massive rests.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also Starc has massive rests.
    very true. valid point. Totally forgot about that. wasim never got rest. Had to play county consistently.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    704 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wow, itís nice to actually get one thing right every five years!
    Law of averages. Congrats I thought Cummins would have a career plagued with injuries but apparently not

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You sure about that?
    Mitchell Starc's record in the most batting friendly era is nothing short of remarkable. He was exceptional in the 2015 and 2019 WCs, whereas Wasim Akram's record in the most important white ball tournament in the sport isn't even close really.

Mitchell Starc was also Man of the Tournament following Australia's successful campaign four years and in my view it was a travesty for him not to be the recipient of this accolade when he was once again well above the rest of his peers as shown in the stats below (displaying leading wicket takers in the tournament):

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  64.7 KB

But overall as a bowler and cricketer, Wasim Akram is still someway ahead because Starc trails him in tests by a long way. Starc for me is the best white ball bowler of all time, followed by Wasim Akram in the shorter format.
    Last edited by topspin; 21st October 2019 at 18:01.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow look at shaheen's average. what a stud.

lockie Ferguson woww. I am impressed.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Mitchell Starc wants to track down Pakistan legend Wasim Akram for another left-arm fast bowling tutorial as he looks to revive his Test career at the Gabba this month.

Starc and Akram enjoyed a net session at the SCG during an Indian tour of Australia that Akram commentated and the 53-year-old will again sit behind the microphone this summer.

“Hopefully we’ll catch up again,” Starc told the Herald Sun.

“I haven’t seen him for a while. It’s been great having brief chats with him at different stages.

“I got to chat to him for about half an hour at the SCG nets, so that was pretty cool. We were just talking about wrist positions and how he went about it.

“He obviously had a really fast arm action as well, and it was just nice to chat to another left-arm bowler about left-arm bowling.

“There’s not too many coaches around that are left-armers so it was nice to spend time alongside Mitch Johnson for a number of years and to chat to another in Wasim was pretty cool.”

Akram said two years ago that Starc was among his favourite bowlers on the planet, labelling his yorker the best in the world.

Starc, 29, will open the bowling against Pakistan in Perth on Friday and said that he unleashed the same simple game plan in T20 cricket as the 50-over format.

Coach Justin Langer rates Starc as the best white-ball cricketer in the world and he has been the leading wicket-taker at the past two ODI World Cups.

But Starc was left to carry the drinks in four Ashes Tests this year as Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Peter Siddle and James Pattinson were preferred.

Starc had to overhaul his bowling style to suit conditions in England, although “airspeed” remains his key weapon at home.

“I had to change the way that I bowled to align with how the team approach was over in the UK,” Starc said.

“I was pretty happy with how I progressed with that.

“It wasn’t really about the airspeed or how I’d approach bowling in Australia, I had to look for seam movement and economy rates were a big part of the approach for our guys.”

While Starc was a wicketkeeper growing up, he has spent plenty of time watching YouTube videos of Akram was destroying batting line-ups.

Akram’s 414 Test wickets remains No.1 for Pakistan while he sits 14th overall.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...7fd5849b484541