Shoaib Malik hits back at Wasim Akram over “disinterested” comments, insists he is a team player

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Shoaib Malik hits back at Wasim Akram over “disinterested” comments, insists he is a team player

Akram was commentating on Pakistan’s tour of England when he highlighted a perceived lack of leadership by Malik.

“Look at Shoaib Malik, he has really disappointed me, he goes to third man in the field and stands out there,” Akram said during commentary.

“His job as a senior player should be to talk to the bowlers, help his captain and I have not seen that happening at all. From the outside he has looked disinterested and not very keen for most of the series.”

Ahead of Pakistan’s T20I series with the West Indies in Dubai this weekend, Malik was asked what he thought of Akram’s comments.

“You have to talk about something [when commentating]. When you don’t, you have to come up with something which attracts the people who are listening to you,” Malik said.

“I totally disagree with his statement but I respect him a lot. I would not expect these comments from a legend. I am sure he will realise and come up with something positive instead for Pakistan cricketers and Pakistan.”

Malik, a renowned master of media spin himself, seemed every bit the senior member of the side in front of the press at ICC Academy.

Malik talked up the recent performances of Imad Wasim and expressed his confidence in the young spinner.

Often seen as a man with an agenda and eyes fixed on the one-day captaincy, Malik is often made the scapegoat by media and fans in Pakistan.

But here, he was every inch the team player.

He stated his desire to bat wherever in the order his captain needed him, having been dropped for the fourth ODI in England after a woeful run at number six before scoring 77 batting at four in the final ODI of the series, a match Pakistan won.

“I am one of those who has batted in all the top order. I think the team comes first so wherever the team needs me I am always up for that number,” he said.

For now, Malik has his sights firmly set on bringing an end to another identity problem, his history of following up innings of brilliance with those that underwhelm.

“I think being consistent is something that was missing but I’m trying my best to be consistent. If I’m consistent, that helps the team and I think that’s where I’m practicing the most,” added Malik.

Inconsistency is a term that has long been associated with Pakistan cricket, with the team remaining true to that form in recent years with controversy and in-fighting.

Under Mickey Arthur, however, there is hope of a new dawn for cricket in Pakistan.

A long winter of cricket ahead will be the acid test but there is no question that optimism is growing. Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq was presented with the ICC’s Test number one mace on Wednesday and a series win against West Indies would perfectly kickstart Pakistan’s winter.

http://sport360.com/article/cricket/...a-team-player/

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Wasim Akram's comments:

PakPassion.net : The body language of the Pakistan team during the One-Day series has looked awful at times. Is that solely down to the captain?

Wasim Akram : You cannot solely blame the skipper. At times when the toss has been lost then the shoulders have been hunched and the body language has been poor like it was at Trent Bridge. You have some experienced players out there who should be motivating the others. Look at Wahab Riaz, he went for 110 runs at Trent Bridge and he looked a spent force. Bowl a few slower balls every over, mix it up, don't just keep running in bowling the same pace every ball. I know some of the boys are tired but that's not an excuse to have such poor body language. You are professionals, if you get picked, you have to perform and be motivated. Look at Shoaib Malik, he has really disappointed me, he goes to third man in the field and stands out there. His job as a senior player should be to talk to the bowlers, help his captain and I have not seen that happening at all. From the outside he has looked disinterested and not very keen for most of the series.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?250044

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The revenge of the Shobby.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wasim was unusually spot on. Malik did look disinterested, and there's no denying that.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Wasim was unusually spot on. Malik did look disinterested, and there's no denying that.
    im no malik fan, but he almost always looks like that, its like Mesut Ozil in football, doesnt mean they arent putting a shift in. I think Wasim went overboard, Malik is one of our best outfielders and is generally always on the boundary rope. If Wasim actually watched Pak cricket more he would know that

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet Malik is glad England tour is over and back to flat UAE pitches
    against a weak windies bowling line up. But I still think he will average
    20 in the series.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Playing under a tactically inept captain like Azhar can make you feel disinterested. Me personally I think that Wasim went overboard here but honestly speaking the morale of the ODI team was down during the series against England.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I said similar to what malik suggested that
    "it's commentator's job to say something...it does not matter to them if comments are valid or not"

In Miandad's last ODI QF vs India, Aamir Sohail put Miandad at ropes (and sent at #6 while batting)...it was just tragic to see...but what could Miandad have done there...
    It's captain's call to set fielding...

maybe, Wasim could provide some tips how could Malik have talked to bowler from boundary...

anyway, it's not a biggy as Malik is in Wasim's good books...and Wasim played key role in Malik's career.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 22nd September 2016 at 00:12.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    im no malik fan, but he almost always looks like that, its like Mesut Ozil in football, doesnt mean they arent putting a shift in. I think Wasim went overboard, Malik is one of our best outfielders and is generally always on the boundary rope. If Wasim actually watched Pak cricket more he would know that
    Not really. This particular tour he was a loner on the boundary, almost as if he was sulking. When he was close to the bowlers he wasn't chatting to them either.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Good comeback by Shobby. Best comeback after the intl comeback last year. Shobby haters will come out of the woodworks now as they have support from an ex cricketer but seem to forget that Shobby is more honest and more commited to Pak cricket.

Sorry to say but Waz spanked through cover-point here.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    576 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Best part of his response was the fact he didn't throw his captain under the bus.

He could have easily said, "Azhar told me to stand there," and pushed the pressure towards his skipper. instead, his response was neutral and fair.

Shoaib Malik is intelligent when it comes to the media.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One thing you gotta love about Pakistani players, their penchant for taking the slightest of criticism very personally

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Shoaib thinks he can just glide along earning his match fees and perform in dead rubbers. If he does not deliver in the WI series then its game over for him.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good reply from Malik

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFighter View Post
    One thing you gotta love about Pakistani players, their penchant for taking the slightest of criticism very personally
    Think when livelihoods at stake then yes

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with Malik on this, Akram is saying non sense as usual.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    A very fair reply where he calls Waseem a legend and gives the least possible disrespect in a very gratifying manner.
    However, Waseems comment contained a lot of negativity inside it but since it was Malik on target this time, It was suicidal for his repute on a very lighter note for some reason.

If life on earth is temporary...what make you think that your problems are permanent?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see a mature response from Shoaib. I think Akram is commenting too much, almost every day on something, some useful, some not so mauch.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Shobby knows how to handle matters, a good reply.

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    its a no-win situation for Malik

if he involves himself ppl willsay he is underminingthe captain

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Wasim was spot on. malik is simply not a good player and has seemed disinterested since he lost the cuptaany. I doubt he'd be able to help Azhar anyway..should be dropped and told to retire!!

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found his reply to a senior, kind of rude, should have discussed it in person with Wasim, instead of giving a reply on media.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rude reply from malik. If I am not wrong then Shoaib Malik made his debut under wasim's captaincy in Sharjah?

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Malik is a poor player. Wasim was right to criticise him. Wasim is an ATG. Who is Malik? A nobody who played for far long that he should have.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Rude reply from malik. If I am not wrong then Shoaib Malik made his debut under wasim's captaincy in Sharjah?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by The_KING View Post
    Malik is a poor player. Wasim was right to criticise him. Wasim is an ATG. Who is Malik? A nobody who played for far long that he should have.
    Wasim has the right to say what he said and Malik can respond; being a poor player doesn't have much relevance.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Singapore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Malik is stuck if he takes an active role in field placings and talking to the bowlers etc media and many on pakpassion will say he is vying for captaincy. Wasim always says that unless they come and ask (young bowlers, pcb etc) I cant help. Malik is in the same position if the captain is uncertain of his place in the side and captaincy and unwilling to ask for help Malik cant do anything about it. You can compare how Malik was under Sarfaraz in the T20 match compared to the ODI's under Azhar the only difference between those two teams is the captain.
    Although this is one of the reasons I think another reason could be is till the last odi Malik was not sure of his future in the ODI side and that innings gave him the confidence for the T20.

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought"-JFK

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I bet if Shobby didn't respond people would say he has no fight in him and thus should be dropped from the team.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Good comeback by Shobby. Best comeback after the intl comeback last year. Shobby haters will come out of the woodworks now as they have support from an ex cricketer but seem to forget that Shobby is more honest and more commited to Pak cricket.

Sorry to say but Waz spanked through cover-point here.
    Through third man i would say