Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"PSL final WILL be held in Lahore" : Najam Sethi [updates #82 #90 and #116]

PSL final to be held in Pakistan at Lahore. What a good news.

MAIN HO DON

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

"PSL final WILL be held in Lahore" : Najam Sethi

Is this a realistic claim? Big one to make on TV etc so I hope we go through this.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope the foreign players do not back out on the day when they have to come to Lahore.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Really looking forward to it.

Hope they gradually move the entire tournament to Pakistan. Karachi and Lahore matches had an atmosphere to it and I kinda miss it, last watched them when I was a teenager. Tired of these soulless dour matches in the UAE.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me plan my next visit to Pakistan not to miss this game. I have so many memories about watching packed Qaddafi ( I hate this name ) stadium with cricket fans in my very younger days.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news..

Lahore crowd is always energetic and lively ..

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hope Teams won't be playing for a loss in play ofs

Joke aside great news. Looks unlikely at the moment because of PTI and other parties Dharnas etc.

Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Najam Sethi saying this is a part of the contract for all players who have agreed to be part of the draft.

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tall claims that would not happen.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Terrible news.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Superb news.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didnt najam say inshallah it will be held in lahore.

Thats not a confirmation.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j_kazmi View Post
    Didnt najam say inshallah it will be held in lahore.

Thats not a confirmation.
    Inshallah doesn't mean maybe.

The news is confirmed. Part of the contract of the players being picked.

Sua cuique voluptas.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberkoen View Post

Not exactly confirmation either...

I'm a little worried about this not going to lie, but if it all goes off without a hitch then it'll be great for Pakistan.

#63notoutforever

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberkoen View Post

Inshallah means if god willing or in other words hopefully so it's not confirmed.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_KING View Post
    Terrible news.
    May I ask why?

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    May I ask why?
    Pakistan isn't a safe country. If I was a foreign player no amount of money would convince me to risk my life by travelling to Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistan isn't a safe country. If I was a foreign player no amount of money would convince me to risk my life by travelling to Pakistan.
    Perception will never change. If we leave it to Foreign players, they will choose not to come to Pakistan ever for eternity. The nation of Pakistan and the PCB cannot let that happen forever. It is time to give a danda, carrot and sticks to the foreign players to come to Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFighter View Post
    Perception will never change. If we leave it to Foreign players, they will choose not to come to Pakistan ever for eternity. The nation of Pakistan and the PCB cannot let that happen forever. It is time to give a danda, carrot and sticks to the foreign players to come to Pakistan.
    indeed. Im sick and tired of hearing "its dangerous" blah blah blah..they went to sri lanka when the tamil tigers were a few hundred miles away!!

My only fear is that "you know who" may want to interfere to really cause us a problem. i hope and pray they just leave us alone but zainiyat asi hay to kya karain!!

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    indeed. Im sick and tired of hearing "its dangerous" blah blah blah..they went to sri lanka when the tamil tigers were a few hundred miles away!!

My only fear is that "you know who" may want to interfere to really cause us a problem. i hope and pray they just leave us alone but zainiyat asi hay to kya karain!!
    Irrespective of "You know who", it is the duty of the PCB and the Pakistan Govt to provide top notch security.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before saying such a negative things about Pakistan, get some updated information about Pakistan of today, particularly Lahore, will you please !!!!

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Noice!!! Would be very exciting.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In his dreams. Cannot see foreign players travelling to Pakistan. This could turn messy.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    In his dreams. Cannot see foreign players travelling to Pakistan. This could turn messy.
    Gayle was talking to Ramiz and he said that he would be interested in playing in Pakistan, seemed excited even.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Is this a realistic claim? Big one to make on TV etc so I hope we go through this.
    Shouldn't we appreciate their efforts for once ??

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I think, players in Draft are aware that the Final will be held in PAK; so unless something ugly happens just before the Final, they will be there.

Even if something happens, still it's possible to convince foreigners for a match or two. It's not about what's going to happen - it's about what counter measures are taken to convince. To be honest, in March 2009, PCB/PAK Govt.'s preparation wasn't adequate, which was exposed badly. I actually don't trust PAK civil authority - it's not for the capability, rather because of integrity.

For the ENG tour, there is like a war time preparation - elite commandos, snipers at strategic location all through the travelling area, bomb tracking & disposal unit, dog squad, gas squad, fire brigade, helicopter, special convoy with armored vehicle (even tanks surrounding stadium, if required), electronic scanning at stadium gate ..... all those to convince the ECB security team, BUT more importantly, give the massage that anyone trying something odd, is risking heavy damage. Pentagon was hit by an air craft - so one can ensure full proof security, but at 9AM, in the heart of metro Lahore, if few goons can brash fire in an International team bus & then run away, doesn't give the confidence.

PCB should involve Army for this one & everything will be fine.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Tbh, I'm happy if this is true but it's natural to be a bit worried. I just hope the security is top notch.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really hope and pray that everything goes smoothly should the final be in Lahore.

Being isolated from cricket is not a great thing.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone seems to forget that Pakistan is miles safer than it was 3-4 years ago . Successful operations by security forces have made blasts a monthly affair now compared to 3-4 years back when there used to be blasts every day .

http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/countr...casualties.htm

2006 = 608 civilian deaths ( West Indies still toured )
    2007 =1522 ( South africa tour to Pakistan )

2012 = 3007
    2013 = 3001
    2014 = 1781 ( the year operations were launched )
    2015 = 940
    2016 = 530

Statistically speaking we are much safer than even 2006 and 2007 so why shouldn't we be holding events? Pakistan recently held international squash and badminton tournaments . Why not Cricket when we are much safer now ?

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan_123 View Post
    Everyone seems to forget that Pakistan is miles safer than it was 3-4 years ago . Successful operations by security forces have made blasts a monthly affair now compared to 3-4 years back when there used to be blasts every day .

http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/countr...casualties.htm

2006 = 608 civilian deaths ( West Indies still toured )
    2007 =1522 ( South africa tour to Pakistan )

2012 = 3007
    2013 = 3001
    2014 = 1781 ( the year operations were launched )
    2015 = 940
    2016 = 530

Statistically speaking we are much safer than even 2006 and 2007 so why shouldn't we be holding events? Pakistan recently held international squash and badminton tournaments . Why not Cricket when we are much safer now ?
    that is very heartening to see but let give you the reason. why people are still not confident
    This is called the availability heurestic.

Whenever someone in the family suffers from, say heart attack, then all the family members will be cautious about heart attack, and will control their diet, excercise, smoking, etc. Now, the risk of heart attack for everyone else would remain the same even if that particular person didn't suffer from cardiac arrest.

We become cautious only when a disaster happens, and when it does, people start to become pessimistic. You see, once that attack on Lankan team happened, that was enough to instill fear in the minds of the cricketer. Bear it in mind, even if Lankan team were not attacked, the threat to other teams would have been the same only difference is that teams would still prefer to go to Pak for a tour, not England/SA but WI, SL, Zim,BD for sure.

Unfortunately, there is nothing one can do about it. If it happens once, people tend to backout eventually.

However, to convince other teams to start touring again, PCB and government need to work together and prove that terrorism is under control and that all touring sides will have max level security. But who is going to convey this message to the rest of the world? Here in Bangladesh we will never hear about the improving situation but we only hear about the attacks that happen here and there.

However, the frequency of attacks have decreased and I have noticed. But I am a random person at the end of the day in a neighboring country. Not sure how informed people in WI, Eng, SA, are

Debut
    May 2006
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    that is very heartening to see but let give you the reason. why people are still not confident
    This is called the availability heurestic.

Whenever someone in the family suffers from, say heart attack, then all the family members will be cautious about heart attack, and will control their diet, excercise, smoking, etc. Now, the risk of heart attack for everyone else would remain the same even if that particular person didn't suffer from cardiac arrest.

We become cautious only when a disaster happens, and when it does, people start to become pessimistic. You see, once that attack on Lankan team happened, that was enough to instill fear in the minds of the cricketer. Bear it in mind, even if Lankan team were not attacked, the threat to other teams would have been the same only difference is that teams would still prefer to go to Pak for a tour, not England/SA but WI, SL, Zim,BD for sure.

Unfortunately, there is nothing one can do about it. If it happens once, people tend to backout eventually.

However, to convince other teams to start touring again, PCB and government need to work together and prove that terrorism is under control and that all touring sides will have max level security. But who is going to convey this message to the rest of the world? Here in Bangladesh we will never hear about the improving situation but we only hear about the attacks that happen here and there.

However, the frequency of attacks have decreased and I have noticed. But I am a random person at the end of the day in a neighboring country. Not sure how informed people in WI, Eng, SA, are
    The best way to prove that terrorism is under control IS with statistics. Beyond that I am not sure what proof will suffice. Statistics show that Pakistan is as safe today as it was when teams were willing to tour Pakistan 10 years ago. Yes there might still be an occasional blast, as was the case 10 years when there were may be 1-2 blasts a year. If teams can tour Bangladesh or India despite the occasional blast, there's no reason they can't tour Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsan17 View Post
    The best way to prove that terrorism is under control IS with statistics. Beyond that I am not sure what proof will suffice. Statistics show that Pakistan is as safe today as it was when teams were willing to tour Pakistan 10 years ago. Yes there might still be an occasional blast, as was the case 10 years when there were may be 1-2 blasts a year. If teams can tour Bangladesh or India despite the occasional blast, there's no reason they can't tour Pakistan.
    If we let the foreign players have their way, if we let the loosers on here who even live in Pakistan but still call Pakistan unsafe because of what happened in 2009, no foreign player will ever come to Pakistan ever again.

Yes the International isolation Pakistan faced from 2009 to 2016 was understandable given the magnitude of what happened in 2009, but there comes a time when you have to call out the BS. I fully support the PCB in doing whatever it can to bring Cricket back to Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    For me to know and you to find out
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent news.

If this is a success then maybe we can start returning to Pakistan as a home venue.

I was watching videos of Afridi's 156 against India in 2006 Tests, golden memories! Amazing Pakistani crowed, exactly whats missing in world cricket today!

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The terrorists will try to target matches again...have we forgotten the last time an international team, Zim, played in Lahore...there was a suicide bomb blast near the stadium to disturb the game...
    Why are ppl forgetting this?
    Its not safe...full stop!
    Nothing has changed.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ami View Post
    The terrorists will try to target matches again...have we forgotten the last time an international team, Zim, played in Lahore...there was a suicide bomb blast near the stadium to disturb the game...
    Why are ppl forgetting this?
    Its not safe...full stop!
    Nothing has changed.
    What's your source of information, was any cricket fan or player was hurt, was there breach of security in that series. Stop spreading the negative news, and what's your motive ?

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Toronto/Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it hard to believe this was part of the players' contract and we're only hearing about it now. Seems to be a blooper.

Show a little bit of moderation, in both denouncement and praise.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s.h.a.k View Post
    PSL final to be held in Pakistan at Lahore. What a good news.
    Yeah, sure.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent news, if true.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Its one T20 not a full home series so it should be easier from a security and organisational POV ?

The atmosphere I'm sure will be incredible and will boost confidence for staging future cricket at home if fingers crossed the final goes off without a hitch.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Its one T20 not a full home series so it should be easier from a security and organisational POV ?

The atmosphere I'm sure will be incredible and will boost confidence for staging future cricket at home if fingers crossed the final goes off without a hitch.
    Yes. Worst case scenario players fly in on the day of the match and depart that same day.

I smash and grab and stash the cash in plastic bags
    With raps that have pizzazz

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Montreal-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is Amazing News!!!!!!!! I can't wait!!!

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really looking forward to it, if PCB manages to get the players to come to Pakistan for the final it would be huge then gradually they can bring the whole tournament to Pakistan where it truly belongs.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    http://m.wisdenindia.com/full-story....ews&id=226240&

The final of the Pakistan Super League 2017 will be staged in Lahore as planned, but teams will fly in and fly out for the showpiece event in a nod to the delicate security situation in the country.

A total of 414 players were placed in the draft for the PSL on Wednesday (October 19), a list that included Brendon McCullum, Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo, Shane Watson, Shakib Al Hasan, Eoin Morgan and Kevin Pietersen. The inclusion of Morgan is particularly noteworthy after he withdrew from England’s ongoing tour of Bangladesh over security concerns.

Five teams took part in the inaugural edition of the PSL, which was held entirely in Dubai and Sharjah in February this year.

Najam Sethi, the PSL chairperson, announced on Wednesday that the 2017 final will be held at Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, the city where the Sri Lankan team bus was attacked by gunmen in 2009.

“The second edition of the PSL, again with five teams in competition, will be more successful and the final will be held in Lahore,” said Sethi at the draft ceremony. “International players know what we can do; most of them are ready to come to Pakistan and play.”

Sethi confirmed that top-level security would be put in place for the players. “It will be a fly-in-fly-out plan and the government has promised to give full security to the players. We are convinced that the final will happen in Lahore,” he said.

Backing up Sethi’s claim, McCullum said he was delighted to be playing in the PSL for the first time. “It’s a great honour to be part of the PSL and I am sure with development plans in place this league will give Pakistan some very good players,” said McCullum.

Sarfraz Ahmed, Pakistan’s Twenty20 captain, said the tournament could impact the national team’s fortunes positively. “From the first edition we unearthed a number of talented players like Mohammad Nawaz, Sharjeel Khan and Hasan Ali, so it is the door for talented players to make their mark at international level,” he said.

Islamabad United, led by Misbah-ul-Haq, won the first PSL title, soon after which the Pakistan Cricket Board announced a profit of US$ 2.6 million from the first edition.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ooh..Morgan is coming to Pakistan.

This is going to tick off a few BD fans..

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    Ooh..Morgan is coming to Pakistan.

This is going to tick off a few BD fans..
    Also is it not ironic that morgan is in the same team as a few bangladeshi players, considering he didnt want to tour bangladesh. I wonder if they will mention it to him or what.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is Amazing News

Lahore is junoon,Karachi is dharkan,Islamabad is style,Quetta is power,Peshawar is tabdeli,

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not hold it in a much much much safer city i.e Islamabad, London

poor decision imo

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    1128km from Taj Mahal, 0km from Love
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrible news.
    Quote Originally Posted by The King of Kings View Post

poor decision imo
    Why are the two Kings above jealous? Afraid Karachi Kings will steal the limelight?

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asfandyar View Post
    Why are the two Kings above jealous? Afraid Karachi Kings will steal the limelight?
    MASHALLAH...such confidence brother

remember last year, when Karachi V Peshawar was predicted by every single human being on this earth to be the final. What happened after that ?

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The King of Kings View Post

poor decision imo
    Islamabad doesn't have an international standard stadium

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be a packed house, will be sold out in under a day or two if it happens

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope it gets materialized.

That said, Gaddafi Stadium needs some serious renovation.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by putF%8id View Post
    Hope it gets materialized.

That said, Gaddafi Stadium needs some serious renovation.
    The money they will genetrate can be used to renovate it. It needs to become an international grade 50,000 seater.

Eventually all PSL teams will all have their own stadium. Islamabad stadium and a new Karachi stadium I believe is being built?

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Planet Vegeta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    The money they will genetrate can be used to renovate it. It needs to become an international grade 50,000 seater.

Eventually all PSL teams will all have their own stadium. Islamabad stadium and a new Karachi stadium I believe is being built?
    PLEASE NO NEED FOR A STADIUM IN ISLAMABAD. We can use the stadium over in Rawal Pindi. They wanted to build a stadium in Shakar Parian but thank GOD this was rejected. Shakar Parian is the LAST remaining hint of forestry we had in the city, most of which has been destroyed too because of the Sports Complex and the Pak-China friendship center. Also, making a stadium would be waste of money. It'll cost us millions, if not billions and at the moment, we play 0 international cricket within Pakistan and the stadiums would just deteriorate. We have enough stadiums all over the country already.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Sethi bought those expensive bomb proof buses more then a year ago with PCB money so its good they are finally being used.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A big gamble I would say. I would be keen in knowing the number of International players making an excuse and not turning up for the event.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    San Antonio, TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IF we pull this off without any incident in Lahore - it will be a great step forward in the resumption of cricket in Pakistan

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    IF we pull this off without any incident in Lahore - it will be a great step forward in the resumption of cricket in Pakistan
    For sure. But international tours require clearance from security teams etc - that still is an issue.

Also not sure if the respective boards who employ these players will be comfortable with the foreign ones going to Pak

Have a feeling that just the Windies players will make the trip

Lets hope for the best
    Last edited by MenInG; 21st October 2016 at 10:57.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    San Antonio, TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    For sure. But international tours require clearance from security teams etc - that still is an issue.

Also not sure if the respective boards who employ these players will be comfortable with the foreign ones going to Pak

Have a feeling that just the Windies players will make the trip

Lets hope for the best
    Ultimately it is the players and their franchise who will decide what to do. Not sure how much the boards will have a say in that.

I think it will probably happen barring some unfortunate circumstances or events. I just hope we do a good job in terms of security and organizing the event in the best possible light.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wait has been long but patience is your only solution, what could happen 2 years from now could take a lot longer if some mishap happens, even of the mysterious "cylinder/suicide blast" kind that happened during the Zimbabwe tour.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I just hope this isn't one of those throw away comments that come from within PCB at times and this actually happens.

It would be a huge disappointment if it didn't occur.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    PCB’s response to FICA statement

Lahore, January 10, 2017:

FICA has done great disservice to the cause of cricket in general and Pakistan cricket in particular by advising players not to play in the PSL Final in Lahore next March because of “security reasons”.

FICA has cited unnamed “expert Security Consultants” for “updated security advice” that claims Pakistan is “at an extremely elevated state of insecurity.”

This is a careless and cavalier approach to an issue of great importance. FICA sits thousands of miles away from Pakistan and cannot name even one credible security expert, yet makes a sweeping negative statement about the security situation in Lahore. FICA’s claim that “westerners and luxury hotels have been attacked” is contrary to the facts on the ground that prove that not a single foreigner or hotel has been attacked in Lahore in the last five years.

FICA’s claim that “targeted attacks” are predicted to continue is belied by the fact that Lahore is the show piece of the government that has secured the services of UK based “safe city” security project.

PCB has recently hosted Kenya, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh (Women), Afghanistan and Malaysian national cricket teams in Lahore and Karachi without any problem. In the case of PSL Final in Lahore for one day, the government has guaranteed protection by over 3000 army and police personnel in Lahore. PCB will provide armored buses for travel along with VVIP security protocols.

It may also be noted that a group of foreign players including Jonty Rhodes, Brain Lara, Curtly Ambrose, Glenn McGrath, Dean Jones, Mark Butcher, Marvin Atapatu, Herschelle Gibbs, Damien Martyn, Andy Roberts, Danny Morrison, Sanath Jayasuriya, Andrew Symonds, Ajay Jadeja, Robin Smith, Cameron Delport etc are regular visitors to Pakistan on assignment with Pak TV and are available to vouchsafe the safety and security of foreign cricketers in the country.

PSL has already received confirmation from top international players to play in Lahore and PCB is determined to bring cricket home to Pakistan.
    Last edited by SL_Fan; 11th January 2017 at 10:29.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never seen anything done this professionally by the PCB.
    Last edited by SL_Fan; 11th January 2017 at 10:31.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good and appropriate response. If West Indies Security Experts conclude that Security is adequate it will further weaken FICA's stance.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Planet Vegeta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot believe I am seeing this. I honestly did not expect even a reply from PCB to the FICA being so ruthless and nonchalant but this is the sort of professionalism PCB needs.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow.... Brutal reply from PCB

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    761 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Sethi seems like a guy who makes outlandish statements like these.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are just flying players in and out just on match day, not sure if that is a confident picture you are going to paint.

I mean as an international team, it only shows how grave the situation still is, if you have to fly in and out on the match day to be safe.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    KARACHI: Pakistan Super League (PSL) Chairman Najam Sethi, yesterday, reiterated the T20 league’s stance that the final of the second edition would be held in Lahore despite concerns from the international players’ association, FICA, that it posed ‘security risks’ for the players

Just a day after it was announced that the PSL’s title-deciding game will be played in Lahore, FICA Chief Executive Tony Irish, in an interview, claimed that ‘playing cricket in Pakistan for foreign teams and players constitutes an unacceptably high security risk’ citing independent security consultants.

He also deemed the risk of playing cricket in Pakistan as ‘unmanageable’.

But Sethi brushed aside such concerns claiming that the plan to hold the final in Lahore will go as planned.

“Our decision to hold the PSL final in Lahore stands,” Sethi told The Express Tribune. “We are confident that all foreign players, whose teams reach the final, will be there in Lahore

No major Test playing nation has visited Pakistan since the attack on the Sri Lankan team in Lahore in 2009.

The situation has improved in recent years as the country successfully carried out the Zimbabwe series last year and also hosted an exhibition match in Karachi featuring big names of the game including Sri Lanka great Sanath Jayasuriya.

Currently, Lahore is playing host to Australian Army cricket team.

It is believed that the PSL final, if staged in Lahore successfully, will be a major breakthrough in PCB’s bid to bring international cricket back to Pakistan.

‘Arrangements already under way’

An official close to the matter revealed that preparations to stage the final in Lahore have already started.

“They [FICA] are the usual naysayers and such statements don’t matter,” revealed an official who wished not to be named. “We are already in touch with the security agencies including the army to formulate a foolproof plan for hosting the final.”

He further added, “We are hoping for a successful final which will prove Pakistan is not a risky place to play cricket for foreign teams.”

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1206825/...-stands-sethi/
    Last edited by MenInG; 24th October 2016 at 06:28.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will the Quetta Attack effect this?

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelandofthebravepeople View Post
    How will the Quetta Attack effect this?
    not sure, doesn't look good for PSL...

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

English cricketers set to go against union’s Pakistan Super League advice

A number of high-profile English cricketers are set to go against the advice of their union if they are called on to participate in the final of the Pakistan Super League, which is scheduled to take place in Lahore. There are heightened security fears in the country in the wake of the Quetta terrorist attack on Tuesday.

Ten English players have been drafted for the 2017 competition, which will largely be staged in Dubai before the final takes place in Pakistan. Although the England and Wales Cricket Board will grant the players No Objection Certificates, the Professional Cricketers’ Association, in conjunction with the Federation of International Cricketers’ Association, has strongly advised them not to go to Lahore. The PCA has said the situation in Pakistan “presents an unacceptably high security risk and remains unmanageable”.

It is understood that the players, including Luke Wright, who is due to play for Quetta Gladiators alongside Kevin Pietersen, Tymal Mills and David Willey, are happy to compete in Pakistan should their team reach the final. Those considering playing in the final have been encouraged to ensure their insurance coverage is in place and were reminded they travel as individuals and at their own risk.

Seventy English players entered the competition’s draft, with those successful including Alex Hales and Eoin Morgan, both of whom pulled out of the tour of Bangladesh over security concerns. However, it is likely that they and other England white-ball regulars would not be involved in the Lahore final on 9 March as the national team arrive in the Caribbean for a three-match ODI tour on 22 February, rendering them unavailable. Sam Billings, Ben Duckett and Willey are others playing in the PSL who are likely to tour the West Indies.

However, Wright, Mills and Jade Dernbach, who hopes to be selected as an injury replacement having not been picked in the draft, are understood to be relaxed about travelling to Pakistan. English players have not yet been sent the paperwork for the competition, so do not know if skipping the Lahore final would amount to a breach of it.

There have been suggestions the final could be moved from Lahore but Najam Sethi, the PSL chairman, said at the draft on 19 October: “International players know what we can do; most of them are ready to come to Pakistan and play. We have signed players with a condition that, if their team reaches the final, they will have to go to Lahore and they have all agreed. The government has promised to give full security to the players. We are convinced that the final will happen in Lahore.”

Fifty-nine people were killed in the Pakistan city Quetta on Tuesday when terrorists stormed a police training academy. Pakistan have been cricketing nomads – playing their home fixtures in the UAE – since the Sri Lanka team bus was shot at in Lahore in 2009.

The ECB’s stance on the PSL is the same as its view on next month’s Bangladesh Premier League, in which a number of players – including the T20 specialist Mills – are also playing against PCA advice. England have been granted protection on tour in Bangladesh that is without precedent and the PCA believes that players could not be guaranteed the same security at the BPL.

The hitherto smooth passage of England’s visit has brought the prospect of an Australia tour of Bangladesh a step closer. Australia cancelled a tour last year because of security concerns (and also did not send a team to this year’s Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh) but Cricket Australia’s head of security, Sean Carroll, has travelled to Dhaka for the second Test to scope the prospect of a tour next August. The BCB CEO, Nizamuddin Chowdhury, welcomed Carroll’s visit, saying: “It is certainly an encouraging sign as it shows that they are keen to have a look at our security arrangements and are positive about coming in August next year.”

Carroll will look at the security measures put in place – in terms of accommodation and transport via convoy – by the Bangladesh government, BCB and Reg Dickason, the ECB’s security adviser.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...final-security

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why there is 1 rule for Pakistan and another for other countries.

Foreign players don't go to Kashmir or Maoist rebels city centre when they play in India do they? Bangladesh a much smaller country to Pakistan just had a terrorist incident, players still traveled.

Yes I know what happened in 2009 to SL team was unacceptably bad but that was nearly 8 years ago. So are we going to be banned for eternity for this? Do we not also deserve to defeat terrorism with foreign players playing in safer parts of Pakistan?

Is world ignorant enough to think there are no safe places in Pakistan? Would they casually forget Zimbabwe team toured and were perfectly safe?

The violent crime stats have dipped to pre 2005 levels and 1 million tourists are now visiting Pakistan annually. It is a large country with plenty of safe areas. Nobody is saying to go playing in Waziristan or Quetta. High crime areas are hundreds of miles away from safer places where cricket can happen.

It's up to Pakistanis to stop being so self loathing and do more to promote your country. No Indian person talks about their unrest in Kashmir or Maoist contested areas. They promote their safe areas and do it well.

Pakistan is ready to host international cricket. If players do not want to come and not let terrorists win then it is up to Pakistanis to educate them about what is good in the country, where they will be made to feel welcome and enjoy their stay.
    Last edited by Flat_Track_Bully; 27th October 2016 at 22:05.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why there is 1 rule for Pakistan and another for other countries.

Foreign players don't go to Kashmir or Maoist rebels city centre when they play in India do they? Bangladesh a much smaller country to Pakistan just had a terrorist incident, players still traveled.

Yes I know what happened in 2009 to SL team was unacceptably bad but that was nearly 8 years ago. So are we going to be banned for eternity for this? Do we not also deserve to defeat terrorism with foreign players playing in safer parts of Pakistan?

Is world ignorant enough to think there are no safe places in Pakistan? Would they casually forget Zimbabwe team toured and were perfectly safe?

The violent crime stats have dipped to pre 2005 levels and 1 million tourists are now visiting Pakistan annually. It is a large country with plenty of safe areas. Nobody is saying to go playing in Waziristan or Quetta. High crime areas are hundreds of miles away from safer places where cricket can happen.

It's up to Pakistanis to stop being so self loathing and do more to promote your country. No Indian person talks about their unrest in Kashmir or Maoist contested areas. They promote their safe areas and do it well.

Pakistan is ready to host international cricket. If players do not want to come and not let terrorists win then it is up to Pakistanis to educate them about what is good in the country, where they will be made to feel welcome and enjoy their stay.
    Which City Center in India is controlled by Maoists?

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Totally agree with this.

The ideal state of security to the satisfaction of Westerners will never exist in Pakistan. If left to the westerners they will never ever come to Pakistan again. Pakistan Cricket cannot suffer forever. Must take a stand and force western teams to come to Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with this.

The ideal state of security to the satisfaction of Westerners will never exist in Pakistan. If left to the westerners they will never ever come to Pakistan again. Pakistan Cricket cannot suffer forever. Must take a stand and force western teams to come to Pakistan.
    How?

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with this.

Absolutely wrong & victim mindset from incompetence of your own board.

What PAK is suffering today is self made & a consequence of lack of accountability. Western teams (actually every team) have shown enough support to PAK cricket. A bomb blasted within stone throwing distance of the hotel NZ team was staying - they came back next year to play 5 ODI. SAF, ENG, WI toured PAK after the Marriott bombing, even at it's most violent days India & Hong Kong (not mentioning other countries) played Asia Cup at Karachi. Despite threats, SRL team decided to tour PAK to prove their credibility of hosting 2011 WC - and paid for that. What do you expect?

Security is not some thing one can garuntee, but there is a preparation & credibility issue here. Is it that BD or SRL board/ Govt. more capable to ensure security than PCB/PAK Govt.? Never - still England is touring BD & ENG/AUS has toured stilanka. Euro went through in France, even an event like Tour de France covering 4000km over 30 days took place on time after the Nice attack. The reason is not because France or BD or SRL are full proof, rather there is a trust.

After March 2009 incident, PCB Chairman said that the responsibility lies with Punjab home ministry, as PCB informed them prior to the tour; Punjab police said that they couldn't deploy adequate manpower because that day there was a strike by opposition & they were busy there....... is this the way to build credibility (something to prove, SRL team was invited). Instead to trying to find whose responsibility, rather they'll stay away from the trouble - safe rather than sorry.

On contrary to common belief, I think ICC members are too soft & sympathetic to PAK - if major teams decide not to play PAK in UAE/neutral venues, what PCB can do? I don't think playing victim card will help - even majority Pakistani don't believe that PAK is safe enough to host teams for a long series.

These days, every countries has enough intelligence network - they have useful information on what's going around. The day PAK is tourable, I am sure every country, even Western teams will tour PAK (IND is a separate issue). PCB in doing fine under ground reality - maintaining good relationship with other boards & arranging PAK home games in suitable venues. If they try to show smartness beyond their capability, it'll bring more embrassment than begging for a series with India; which eventually will bring a complete isolation. Cricket board of SAF survived & kept their cricket alive even after 20 years of isolation - at PCB's competence level, cricket will die in PAK in less than half of that period, if PCB tries to do what you are suggesting. Instead of posting those false bravado, try to be realistic.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Absolutely wrong & victim mindset from incompetence of your own board.

What PAK is suffering today is self made & a consequence of lack of accountability. Western teams (actually every team) have shown enough support to PAK cricket. A bomb blasted within stone throwing distance of the hotel NZ team was staying - they came back next year to play 5 ODI. SAF, ENG, WI toured PAK after the Marriott bombing, even at it's most violent days India & Hong Kong (not mentioning other countries) played Asia Cup at Karachi. Despite threats, SRL team decided to tour PAK to prove their credibility of hosting 2011 WC - and paid for that. What do you expect?

Security is not some thing one can garuntee, but there is a preparation & credibility issue here. Is it that BD or SRL board/ Govt. more capable to ensure security than PCB/PAK Govt.? Never - still England is touring BD & ENG/AUS has toured stilanka. Euro went through in France, even an event like Tour de France covering 4000km over 30 days took place on time after the Nice attack. The reason is not because France or BD or SRL are full proof, rather there is a trust.

After March 2009 incident, PCB Chairman said that the responsibility lies with Punjab home ministry, as PCB informed them prior to the tour; Punjab police said that they couldn't deploy adequate manpower because that day there was a strike by opposition & they were busy there....... is this the way to build credibility (something to prove, SRL team was invited). Instead to trying to find whose responsibility, rather they'll stay away from the trouble - safe rather than sorry.

On contrary to common belief, I think ICC members are too soft & sympathetic to PAK - if major teams decide not to play PAK in UAE/neutral venues, what PCB can do? I don't think playing victim card will help - even majority Pakistani don't believe that PAK is safe enough to host teams for a long series.

These days, every countries has enough intelligence network - they have useful information on what's going around. The day PAK is tourable, I am sure every country, even Western teams will tour PAK (IND is a separate issue). PCB in doing fine under ground reality - maintaining good relationship with other boards & arranging PAK home games in suitable venues. If they try to show smartness beyond their capability, it'll bring more embrassment than begging for a series with India; which eventually will bring a complete isolation. Cricket board of SAF survived & kept their cricket alive even after 20 years of isolation - at PCB's competence level, cricket will die in PAK in less than half of that period, if PCB tries to do what you are suggesting. Instead of posting those false bravado, try to be realistic.
    NZ only sent a second string team and the Marriot bombing happened in late 2008, SA and West Indies toured in 2007 & England toured in 2005, the only team to tour Pakistan after that was Sri Lanka.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    NZ only sent a second string team and the Marriot bombing happened in late 2008, SA and West Indies toured in 2007 & England toured in 2005, the only team to tour Pakistan after that was Sri Lanka.
    NZ do consider the value of their second string team equally - don't think, they would preserve their first team as the backups were expendables.

Apart from Marriott, there were so many incidence that time around that any team could have avoided touring PAK. Point is not that - point is, PAK is sole responsible for losing the credibility. I believe, sometimes in late 90s, entire Colombo airport was blown out, yet AUS & ENG toured SRL with in few months, or may be a year's time. Just about 2 months before England finalized their BD tour, 20+ Westerners were shot dead in a place less than 5KM of where ENG team is based & playing majority of the matches.

Security concern is like a flake of birds on the city squire - one shot & everyone will fly away, but they'll return one by one. If PCB tries to bring them all together too early, they might not return ever with next shot, even from an air gun.