User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"The decline in West Indies cricket started as far back as 1997" : Fazeer Mohammed

Known for his excellent analytical and forthright views on cricket, Fazeer Mohammed is a Trinidadian commentator and journalist who has been covering West Indies cricket since 1987.

Currently on assignment to cover the West Indies tour of the UAE to play Pakistan, Fazeer spoke exclusively with PakPassion.net on a number of issues including his own background as a commentator, his run-in with Phil Simmons whilst on tour in Australia, Misbah-ul-Haq's achievements at the helm of Pakistan Test team, the decline of cricket in the West Indies and the suitability of Day/Night Test cricket.

PakPassion.net : We know of you as an accomplished cricket commentator but have you ever played cricket in any serious capacity?

Fazeer Mohammed : Yes, I have played a bit of club cricket in my young days. In fact I started my career as a left-arm orthodox spinner because my dad was also a left-arm orthodox spinner. Iím actually naturally right-handed but he taught me to bowl left arm-spin so I would bowl left-hand and field right-handed which would confuse everybody.

I got up to as good as playing one match at the national under-nineteen level for Trinidad but I wasnít really good enough to go onto the higher levels of the game. So for me, to be in this environment to be doing television cricket commentary, to be rubbing shoulders with the likes of Sir Vivian Richards, Ramiz Raja and Waqar Younis and so many others in other parts of the world has been a rare privilege. Now I can imagine that because we are accustomed to television commentary environment to be dominated by outstanding former players, some people might ask a legitimate question about me such as who is this guy? Whatís his reputation in the game? So I probably have to work a lot harder to provide different insights and different perspectives on the game which you may not necessarily get from a former player.

PakPassion.net : You got into some hot-water with West Indies coach Phil Simmons after criticizing the intensity of their practice, what was that about?

Fazeer Mohammed : Basically, this happened on the 2015/2016 tour of Australia. What happened was that I had observed the West Indies team practice and I compared that with the intensity of that done by the Australian side. The comment I made was that in the West Indies practice, there was a lack of intensity, there was a lack of real sense of purpose compared to the Australians and I said it was virtually chalk and cheese in terms of difference.

Phil Simmons, who is also from Trinidad and Tobago and who I played with at under-nineteen level, took real exception to that. Things came to a head during the Boxing Day Test match where I was working with ABC Radio, possibly because he got wind of what I had said before; he took exception to it and informed the ABC Radio producer that I was not allowed to do any more interviews with the West Indies players. I found that to be a very shortsighted and a narrow-minded thing to do because itís almost like saying that youíre not prepared to accept any sort of criticism but I suppose, he felt it was unfair, he felt it was not true but that was his reaction.

The interview permission denial was eventually rescinded because obviously it created a bit of a controversy and it didnít look good to have a coach banning someone or anyone from the media, especially a West Indian, so eventually that storm blew over but it didnít leave a good impression on how Phil was managing that situation. It was a difficult time for the team as the West Indies were really struggling and losing badly. I thought he didnít need to do that, but thatís the way he reacted.

PakPassion.net : Tell us why you took exception to the West Indies Boardís policy to not select Shivnarine Chanderpaulís in the Test team?

Fazeer Mohammed : First of all let me state that my view on the game is that I am primarily here as a journalist; I am not as a former player. When Iím doing my job Iím not a West Indies supporter. However, when off the microphone and when Iím not writing, I am a West Indian wholeheartedly and I want the West Indies to do well desperately. As a journalist, it would be unprofessional of me to not say it as I see it and I think that is where it creates a lot of issues, sometimes with players. Some players respect that and they understand my point of view whilst others see my role as should be supporting the West Indies. In the case of Chanderpaul when he was removed from the team, I actually felt that his form suggested that his career was essentially over but the way it was done, it could have been done a lot better.

On this topic let me also add that there have been times where Iíve had reason to make comments that wouldíve been either critical of a Brian Lara or anybody else and people tend to say that this is a brave thing youíve done but I donít see it that way. I donít see bravery coming into it at all because the way I see it is that once I can be honest with myself in my assessment of an individual then even if I say that, well, Brian Lara is a brilliant batsman but a poor captain or Shivnarine Chanderpaul is a tremendous batsman but has not really been a match winner for the West Indies because of the way he bats and that sort of thing, I just think that is part of my job! It doesnít have to be right, it doesnít have to be wrong, itís the way I see it.

PakPassion.net : Your thoughts on Misbah-ul-Haq who continues to lead Pakistan to glory despite his age.

Fazeer Mohammed : I think Misbah is a huge asset for Pakistan Cricket and from what little I know of Pakistan cricket, my understanding is that you need strong leaders. Look at the impact of someone like Imran Khan. There might be different people who have different opinions of Imran Khan but at the end of the day, in sport you arenít necessarily there to be a nice guy, youíre there to get results. You can be the most amicable and amenable individual in the world but if your team is losing then something is wrong because you are there to make a difference on the field in any sport whether its football, cricket or whatever it is.

I think in Misbah youíve got someone who seems totally at ease with himself, who seems to be in control of things and never seems to be too flustered and I think that brings a calming influence to the entire team. It allows individuals to be themselves but always with that knowledge that they have got that calm individual who is in charge of things. I think the bottom line is whether Pakistan is ranked number one, two or three in the world, it doesnít matter. What is relevant is the fact that Pakistan have had to play all their Test Cricket away from home over the last seven years and they are at or near the top of world cricket at Test level which speaks volumes about his leadership ability.

PakPassion.net : Your impressions of the talent and promise of Babar Azam

Fazeer Mohammed : Obviously Iím very impressed. Heís got three consecutive One-Day hundreds and a sixty-nine in his first Test innings. Babar Azam, to me, looks a natural batsman. His whole appearance at the crease seems very comfortable. Of course the difficult times are going to be ahead and how he copes with that will be the challenge. Itís all well and good scoring tons of runs off mediocre bowling on flat pitches, but the questions are howís he going to cope in Australia? Howís he going to cope in English conditions, howís he going to cope in New Zealand and so on; thatís going to be the test.

So I think itís always good to be guarded about not getting too carried away because there can be an unusual weight of expectations on a young player. Iím sure on PakPassion, people are already talking about how can he be compared to Javed Miandad or whether he is similar to Virat Kohli or is he going to be along the lines of a Joe Root or a Kane Williamson and so on.

He may well be or he could exceed those expectations or he could fall way short depending on how he copes with the pressures. Heís a young man and I think thatís why it harkens back to my views on Misbah-ul-Haq sort of mentoring presence, whereís heís got to be able to guide these young players. My advice for the Pakistan fans as well is that you donít want to put too much pressure, too much weight of expectation on young shoulders because that can actually have a negative impact. But then again you can only get excited when you see that sort of talent. Heís clearly someone for the future but that will only be dependent on whether or not he maintains that positive trajectory and focus.

PakPassion.net : Is the world of cricket ready to embrace Day/Night Tests as a regular feature?

Fazeer Mohammed : I think one of the reasons that the day night element was thought about was for bringing in crowds. Now in the UAE, it would appear that it hasnít made a difference. However, I think if youíre going to go down the road of the Day/Night format with pink cricket balls then why not also consider if such Test Cricket should be played only in white clothing, why not colored clothing and using a white ball because, really, the game has always been evolving.

My real issue with Day/Night cricket is that it has to be uniform across the board so you cannot have a situation as seems to be the case where it is being said that the Ashes Tests are too important for you to be experimenting with pink ball cricket. From my understanding, every single Test match whether it is between Bangladesh or Zimbabwe or England versus Australia or Pakistan and the West Indies; itís supposed to be all the same in Test Cricket. So if your rationale is that it is an experimental stage and we canít risk an Ashes Test match I have a problem with that. I suppose all I ask for is uniformity when talking about such new changes.

As far as Day/Night cricket is concerned, itís work in progress. There is criticism in the same way when One-Day cricket was introduced people condemned it, they said it was fast food cricket and itís no good, when colored clothing and the white balls came into vogue during the Kerry Packer era in the 70ís people said that this is pajama cricket and itís making a mockery of our pristine game! Look at how One-Day cricket is accepted today and look at how colored clothing is accepted with it.

PakPassion.net : Do you feel that the West Indies have not competed well on this tour and is this part of a larger problem of decline in their fortunes?

Fazeer Mohammed : After the three Twenty20 and the three ODI losses, I think most West Indians would have expected the first Test match to be wrapped up on day four including myself. Thatís because the team looked completely out of it, they werenít competitive at all.

What you are seeing here after the end of the Dubai Test is an inkling of what is possible in West Indies cricket and that is what is infuriating for West Indians and what is infuriating for so many non-West Indians who have admired West Indies cricket for so many decades. They are asking themselves how could a region that produced so many dominant teams and so many great players for so long be reduced to this?

I think there are a lot of issues tied in there. So we have administrative problems, players themselves maybe not be as focused as they should be when representing the West Indies and putting in the hard work because there is now a lot of money in the game because of Twenty20 and franchise cricket and so on. But even before Twenty20 cricket came onto the scene we were already on our way down the ladder. I donít think it is a simple, one-off sort of answer. Thereís no magic bullet which can resolve the situation as we have had serious administrative problems; there have been issues where the governors of the regions. There is no quick solution but I have to say that the way we performed in the first Test in Dubai was very encouraging.

PakPassion.net : So is it Twenty20 cricket which is killing Test cricket in the West Indies?

Fazeer Mohammed : It might be in the sense that since the advent of Twenty20s in 2003 and then the World Twenty20 tournaments and then the IPL in 2008, there are these huge lucrative opportunities for players from all over the world and especially from West Indies.

In the West Indies, you have a situation where our economies are so small you are talking about probably six to seven million people in so many different islands with different economies struggling and so on. Itís therefore impossible for our economies to sustain cricketers at the level that you will see in the other parts of the world. So, itís only natural that for example Sunil Narine before he had even played a couple of Test matches, was offered $USD 700,000-800,000 by the Kolkata Knight Riders; how would you expect a young person to turn that down?

To be honest, the West Indies have been in decline since 1997 to the present time, that means even before the advent of Twenty20 cricket we were already in the doldrums so that speaks about a bigger issue about the management structure of West Indies cricket. We are still unreasonably insisting on levels of excellence on the field and off the field when the decline started some time ago as far back as 1997 which incidentally was the one and only time I was in Pakistan. As I recall, that was a West Indies team with Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Ian Bishop, Jimmy Adams, Carl Hooper, Shivnarine Chanderpaul in which the West Indies lost the first two Tests by an innings and the third Test by 10 wickets.

So the decline had already started some time ago and there were a lot of issues tied into that. I suppose complacency would be a factor as well as the fact that we thought that because weíve always produced these great players, we donít have to do much and theyíre just going to keep turning up. Now weíve realized that itís not that easy. So weíre paid heavily for complacency, poor management and there have been continuous battles between the players and the administrators; thereís a complete breakdown of trust between the players and the administrators at the playerís association level and the West Indies association level. Twenty20 cricket probably exacerbated the problem since the players are now saying that I canít be bothered with all of this and Iím going to sign on and play Twenty20 cricket all over the world but to be fair, and I repeat, that our problem started long before that and what you can say is that essentially the West Indians and West Indies have been the architects of our own decline; we really canít blame anybody else.

PakPassion.net : Can you shed some light on the extraordinary situation of Phil Simmons sacking just before the Pakistan series?

Fazeer Mohammed : It would be odd for you because for someone following Pakistan cricket, you would be asking yourself who does this, what sort of a management structure says you get rid of your coach even as the players are virtually packing their bags and boarding the plane but it happened last year when he was suspended just as the team were supposed to go to Sri Lanka! He had made some comments suggesting that there were outside influences on the selection process. Another instance was when the previous coach Otis Gibson who is now the England bowling coach was jettisoned just before the start of a home series against Bangladesh. So itís a bit of a pattern that we have and it reflects poorly on the administration, because I donít think anyone in the world in any business or management structure manual will tell you that you get rid of senior people just before a major assignment or just before a major business project. It makes no sense and that encapsulates one of the fundamental problems weíre having.

PakPassion.net : What are your memories of the trip to Pakistan in 1997?

Fazeer Mohammed : It was an amazing trip. Let me say that the opportunity to do cricket coverage in any part of the world for me is not a job and thankfully Iím being paid to do it. Itís sort of like the classic situation where you can enjoy what youíre doing. You wouldnít have worked a day in your life because it doesnít feel like work. During our trip to Pakistan, we were first in Peshawar and then in ĎPindi and then went down to Karachi. The people in Pakistan were so warm and friendly and the ordinary people of Pakistan were so accommodating and so helpful. It was a tremendous experience and itís something I always look back on with great fondness because twenty-four hours before the plane left to go to London and then onto Pakistan I was nowhere in the picture to be part of the commentary team. It just so happened that a couple of those selected for the commentary were unwell at the last minute and it turned out to be an opportunity of a life time for me.

PakPassion.net : Is the modern day game too batsman friendly?

Fazeer Mohammed : I think it is, even though you see a lot of Test matches finishing in four days and so on. Certainly on sub-continental tracks maybe it does well for economics, for television revenues for matches going five days but youíve got a situation now where you want to see an even contest between bat and ball. I think at the moment, what you are seeing a lot is that batsmen dominating and I think that takes away from the spectacle as well but you also donít want a situation where bowlers are dominating and matches are over in two and a half days or three days and so on. Itís about finding the right balance and I think at the moment itís leaning too much towards batsmen friendly pitches and shorter boundaries. All of those elements provide entertainment but even in the Twenty20 format it gets boring, believe it or not, seeing six after six because as with anything else when it becomes too much of a glut it loses that sense of uniqueness and excitement. So I think it is about finding that right balance between bat and ball to present a much more even contest.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Absolutely brilliant guy to listen to while he's commentating on TV.

He has the knowledge and he always knows what he is saying. Same can't be said about some of the other commentators!

Good answers and I particularly liked the ones about Misbah and Babar Azam.

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    A pleasure speaking with Fazeer; apart from his knowledge of the game what impressed me was the passion for the game and the humility of his demeanour. A few things some of the other commentators would do well to learn as well.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Lahore Lahore Aay
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brilliant interview especially the part where he said that one loses charm of hitting when bowlers are getting murdered every other LOI. I feel the same way. Sixes are not enjoyable anymore

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope he reads this.

I think he is doing a great job filling the void left by passing away of some great commentators. Comes out as someone who isn't a cheerleader only and understands the game. Sad to see that some of the discussion points that he raises during the commentary are brushed under the carpet by his fellow commentators during the stint.

Azaadi. InshAllah.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    I hope he reads this.

I think he is doing a great job filling the void left by passing away of some great commentators. Comes out as someone who isn't a cheerleader only and understands the game. Sad to see that some of the discussion points that he raises during the commentary are brushed under the carpet by his fellow commentators during the stint.
    He will be sent your comments.

Brilliant interview to read.

Fazeer is a superb commentator. His knowledge of the game is incredible and not just about West Indies cricket. He obviously puts in a lot of research ahead of a series.

The fact is he puts other commentators to shame, the ones who sit there chatting rubbish and giggling like little kids at their own rather silly efforts at humour.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I've heard Fazeer a lot prior to this Pakistan series and I've always been impressed with his historical knowledge.

A worthy successor to the great Tony Cozier. Has a great voice for broadcasting.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    I've heard Fazeer a lot prior to this Pakistan series and I've always been impressed with his historical knowledge.

A worthy successor to the great Tony Cozier. Has a great voice for broadcasting.
    There is something else which I realized meeting him face to face. There is the conviction and the emotion in his face when he discusses cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    There is something else which I realized meeting him face to face. There is the conviction and the emotion in his face when he discusses cricket.
    That's an interesting point. Sometimes when speaking to other commentators/former players, there is a lack of interest and they are just simply going through the motions.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Fazeer is right about the decline starting in the late 90's. You knew something was wrong when a decent Windies team lost 3 nil and were appalling in PK. Then came the disastrous tour to SA in 98, when AD and co demolished the WI 5 nil. For me the single biggest culprit was Brian Lara, he was incredibly selfish and to this day the Windies players always care for themselves over the team. The administration is corrupt and incompetent and the decline in the quality of pitches in the Caribbean has also been a big factor.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's correct. I started watching cricket around 1994-95 though I was too yound to understand what was going on, which teams were good and so on(Amir Sohail was my favorite player for crying out loud). It was only around the 1996 world cup when I started to understand what was actually going on and even then, the Richie Richardson led WI team came across as a second tier team despite having some huge names. For some reason, much like the England team from the same era, you always had that feeling at the back of your head that this wasn't a team in the same league as Pakistan or South Africa(the two best teams at the time, Australia wasn't quite as good until 1999).

Fauj ka jo yaar hay, mulk ka ghaddar hay,
    Ye jo dehshatgardi hay, is kay peechay wardi hay.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DW44 View Post
    He's correct. I started watching cricket around 1994-95 though I was too yound to understand what was going on, which teams were good and so on(Amir Sohail was my favorite player for crying out loud). It was only around the 1996 world cup when I started to understand what was actually going on and even then, the Richie Richardson led WI team came across as a second tier team despite having some huge names. For some reason, much like the England team from the same era, you always had that feeling at the back of your head that this wasn't a team in the same league as Pakistan or South Africa(the two best teams at the time, Australia wasn't quite as good until 1999).
    Australia were the best team from 93 onwards.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The aura of Windies invincibility was shattered in 1994 when the lost to Steve Waugh led Aussies. Thereafter, the decline was very pronounced.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Australia were the best team from 93 onwards.
    Don't recall the specifics but the only time I was worried about the result when Pakistan played ODIs between 95 and 99 was when they were playing RSA. Even in the 99 world cup Australia was considered a relatively safe opposition and their victory in the final was genuinely shocking.

Fauj ka jo yaar hay, mulk ka ghaddar hay,
    Ye jo dehshatgardi hay, is kay peechay wardi hay.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Top stuff great interview Faz as a commie >> Manju, Arnold, Kepler Healy

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Upto 92, Aus and Windies were pretty much neck and neck with the Windies just marginally better but after Aus beat Eng, they went to the next level.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I always wondered why West Indies were so poor already in the late 90s and early 2000/ despite possessing Lara, Chanderpaul, Sarwan, Ambrose, Walsh etc who provide you with a very solid base

Certainly not become a world beater team but they definitely had the players to sustain a competitive outfit which they didn't

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    I always wondered why West Indies were so poor already in the late 90s and early 2000/ despite possessing Lara, Chanderpaul, Sarwan, Ambrose, Walsh etc who provide you with a very solid base

Certainly not become a world beater team but they definitely had the players to sustain a competitive outfit which they didn't
    They didn't have a leader.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Upto 92, Aus and Windies were pretty much neck and neck with the Windies just marginally better but after Aus beat Eng, they went to the next level.
    Starting from?

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    WI team's test decline started with losing Ian Bishop. Until then they had a very strong bowling lineup. After Walsh and Ambrose retired their bowling attack was in shambles.

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent commentator.

Very refreshing to hear on the mic, as he always keeps viewers interested with his remarkable insight and classy sense of humour.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    WI was an average team from 1990 onwards which looked better because other teams were not that great either. Once Australia emerged as the world's best team, SA returned to Cricket, and Pakistan had two Ws in their peak, WI was fully exposed as an overrated team.

They were the greatest team in the 80s but in early 90s, Almost all of their batsmen were past their prime. Lara was the only world class batsman. Bowling however was pretty good.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The strength that we see in having well informed people like Fazeer is their ability to see through events as a good old fashioned supporter of West Indies without any bias or drama

I loved his comments on visiting Pakistan - really heartwarming stuff that

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    WI was an average team from 1990 onwards which looked better because other teams were not that great either. Once Australia emerged as the world's best team, SA returned to Cricket, and Pakistan had two Ws in their peak, WI was fully exposed as an overrated team.

They were the greatest team in the 80s but in early 90s, Almost all of their batsmen were past their prime. Lara was the only world class batsman. Bowling however was pretty good.
    They beat PK easily in 93 with the 2W's at their supposed peak.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Stay on topic - lots more to discuss in this interview

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    758 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    a great commie. im a big fan of his. His knowledge and insight is a joy to listen too.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say they were average in the early 1990s even with the retirements of Richards, Greenidge, Marshall and Dujon after the 1991 England tour.

There was still a decent crop of young talent like Lara, Bishop, Hooper and Adams. They remained unbeaten at home until 1995.

It was that home loss to Australia in 1995 that marked the decline for me.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Also, WI did beat Australia in 1992, South Africa in the same year and Pakistan in 1993 with 2 Ws at their peak.

However their victories against Australia in Adelaide and against SA in Bridgetown were by narrow margins - you could see for the first time in years that they were a fallible team.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say they were average in the early 1990s even with the retirements of Richards, Greenidge, Marshall and Dujon after the 1991 England tour.

There was still a decent crop of young talent like Lara, Bishop, Hooper and Adams. They remained unbeaten at home until 1995.

It was that home loss to Australia in 1995 that marked the decline for me.
    That's what I said. 90-93, no other team was really good. Australia became better from 94 onwards. Pakistan had two Ws but a poor batting line up. SA had just returned in 92. Once, these teams settled down, WI started losing more often.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Not sure what Fazeer will make of this but Windies have shown some fight and they must be praised for that. There is still something in the system that is producing a Blackwood or Bishoo so there is hope

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Fazeer again reiterating this point about West Indies' downfall on commentary - the discussion was about the team being in transition so he's pointing out that a team can't be in transition for 20 years!

An extremely knowledgeable commentator, such a rarity these days.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Fazeer again reiterating this point about West Indies' downfall on commentary - the discussion was about the team being in transition so he's pointing out that a team can't be in transition for 20 years!

An extremely knowledgeable commentator, such a rarity these days.
    I think West Indies has made progress in this series. And he is not seeing it.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    They batted well in patches against India as well. The two pitches so far have been incredibly flat.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    No he did mention the progress in first Test

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    They batted well in patches against India as well. The two pitches so far have been incredibly flat.
    I hope they carry this with them when they go home. I.e., start off playing like Pakistan did under misbah: flat pitches, defensive,slow batting, giving confidence to batsmen to set huge totals and putting pressure.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I hope they carry this with them when they go home. I.e., start off playing like Pakistan did under misbah: flat pitches, defensive,slow batting, giving confidence to batsmen to set huge totals and putting pressure.
    Pitches in West Indies generally produce lower scores though. And I don't think they have the bowling to win matches. I guess not losing would be a step in the right direction if they can manage it.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    No he did mention the progress in first Test
    Not to be patronizing to the Windies, but
    they've carried both matches to day 5
    put up a record fourth innings total in this match

compare that to what they managed against India at home. Lost one match on day 4 by an innings, and lost another by > 200 runs.

I do understand Fazeer's passion and his disappointment, but I do think Windies have made progress in both matches.

On a side note, Misbah would be an interesting coach for the Windies test team right now.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I guess not losing would be a step in the right direction if they can manage it.
    And thats how misbah started off....stop the bleeding by drawing mindlessly. and then he carried on from there.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Fazeer's first blog will be available soon.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They have sunk to a new low here. What a pathetic test team they are right now.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    Jason Holder's had a desperately poor Test as captain.

Not sure who'd replace them, living example of a poisoned chalice.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    On the bright side, I expect them to improve on this performance at Edgbaston

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Fazeer also touched on using the white ball and wearing coloured clothing, while that's a possibility I think the main concern was that the white ball is not designed to last 80 overs

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is more like it - what a performance by Holder and his troops. Really hope the WIs can build on this series win and maintain this level of play in test cricket.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1072 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Jason Holder's had a desperately poor Test as captain.

Not sure who'd replace them, living example of a poisoned chalice.
    I am glad that the tide is turning for him, he seems a good guy. Like how Border played through to the revival of Australia.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

What is the reason for West Indies regression?

The title says it all. WI was so good in 70s and mid 80s. But after that there was a big slide of performance and it keeps goin down the hill till now except here and there some good performances.

What could be the reason of their poor performance?

1. Extremely weak against spin.
    2. Players are too busy making money on foreign leagues like IPL, PSL, BBL, BPL.... and giving 60%-70% for national team
    3. Their board is not really serious to lift up their cricket
    4. Many players picked up based on favoritism
    5. Lack of talents
    6. Timid and defensive gameplay

@MMHS, @Mamoon, @Savak, @junaid .......
    Last edited by Shafi; 25th January 2021 at 16:24.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    You left out the biggest reason - lack of county exposure.

Advent of T20 cricket has nothing to do with West Indies decline which started in the 90ís.

In fact, T20 cricket has saved West Indies cricket from completely dying out.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket means nothing to those islanders and has been that way for some time now. More lucrative offerings on the other side of the shores

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    The title says it all. WI was so good in 70s and mid 80s. But after that there was a big slide of performance and it keeps goin down the hill till now except here and there some good performances.

What could be the reason of their poor performance?

1. Extremely weak against spin.
    2. Players are too busy making money on foreign leagues like IPL, PSL, BBL, BPL.... and giving 60%-70% for national team
    3. Their board is not really serious to lift up their cricket
    4. Many players picked up based on favoritism
    5. Lack of talents
    6. Timid and defensive gameplay

@MMHS, @Mamoon, @Savak, @junaid .......
    All to do with the administrators in the Caribbean. They believed the conveyor belt of superstar players would never end, and didn't invest in their grassroots and domestic cricket.

That's why you hardly see any WI batsman averaging above 40 in FC cricket.

They refused to reform, and instead of taking decisions in the best interest of the West Indies team, the island boards have squabbled amongst themselves. And when they're not squabbling with each other, they're squabbling wirh their players.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    You left out the biggest reason - lack of county exposure.

Advent of T20 cricket has nothing to do with West Indies decline which started in the 90’s.

In fact, T20 cricket has saved West Indies cricket from completely dying out.
    How about their board terminate central contract because these players use national tag for selection for foreign leagues and prefer these leagues over national duty?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    A suggestion.

Disband your Test and ODI teams.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have good players but a lot of them don't seem interested in national duties.

West Indies board should be stricter. No player should be selected unless he is fully committed to national duty.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    They have good players but a lot of them don't seem interested in national duties.

West Indies board should be stricter. No player should be selected unless he is fully committed to national duty.
    Who are these good players who can turn them into World class test side?

How many of their batsmen average 40+ in FC cricket?
    Last edited by Firebat; 25th January 2021 at 20:04.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanRyan10 View Post

I wasn't only referring to Test. I was referring to ODI also.

I think they can field a world class ODI team but I rarely see them having a full-strength side.

Also, I think their Test team have improved over the years. They were competitive in England.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    5 day test match is too much hard work for WI. ICC should reduce it to 2 days so WI players can play some T20/ T10 matches nearby.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    At full strength they're still very capable of smashing us for sure in ODIs as we saw in 2015 and 2019 WCs.

And I don't fancy our chances on bouncy pitches this summer in the Caribbean.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanRyan10 View Post

Bravo, Gayle,Pollard and a lot of there t20 stars were good test prospects/players

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now with their best youngsters preferring to play abroad they've got a new issue to contend with.

There really ought to have been a rule which prevented Joffra Archer from joining England so easily. It's a joke that he isn't representing West Indies.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Losing players to T20 leagues.

Now they'll start losing players to USA cricket.

A very sad state of affairs.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    A suggestion.

Disband your Test and ODI teams.
    Lol.... no.

Full strength West Indies team is still very decent ODI side.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wonder what would happen if the various islands went their own way? Would there be more passion and motivation to play for the national side vs playing for a regional entity?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaddy View Post
    Lol.... no.

Full strength West Indies team is still very decent ODI side.
    Yes but a full strength team is rarely seen or available.

The full strength team is only on paper.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sad whatís happening in West Indies cricket and we as Pakistan supporters should see what will happen to our Pakistan team if we carry down the road we have been