Instagram

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 81 to 160 of 264
  1. #81
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    11,178
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Looking at the squad selected for the New Zealand series, I don't think Babar is far down the pecking order.

    Anyone who replaces Younis Khan will be a downgrade, at least in the short term. Highly unlikely that his replacement will come and average 55 from the get-go. Even Younis took a few years to attain that level.

    Fawad has been having a very poor season in the QeA Trophy. That might impact his chances of selection.
    Fawad is a myth. A fairytale which exists only on the dead pitches of Pakistan.

    Shafiq is still miles better. He's been messing around too much lately but can't discount his classy 100 in England. He'll come back. I recall Azhar having a similar dip in form when first asked to open, obv not as bad as the ducks but took time to adjust.

  2. #82
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    7,088
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    @The_Odd_One is going go mad soon.

    @Hawkeye will start his rant anytime now.

    @srh will declare Shafiq to get executed.
    You need a man to bat at #3, someone like Ponting or Dravid or Sanga or Kallis, not a schoolboy like Asad.

    Pakistani Hashan Tilekaratne should go back to number 6.

  3. #83
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    12,387
    Mentioned
    1844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Rather like Ian Bell, I think that Asad Shafiq is his country's most technical batsman but has a psychological weakness which means that Number 3 is the wrong slot. But I also think that Number 6 is too low for him.

    In my opinion, Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq are long past their best and do brilliantly on grassless surfaces but really need to be retired as soon as the Australia tour finishes in January. And after that you will need a batting all-rounder at 6 and a bowling all-rounder at 8 in order to play the Mickey Arthur way. The retirement of the 43 year old Misbah should clear the ground for Arthur to get a chance to apply his own principles to the Test eleven, which we all know are:

    1) all-rounders at 6, 7 and 8.
    2) No more than 1 player aged over 34.
    3) No more than 2 other players aged 32-34.
    4) Minimum 8 players younger than 32.

    If I had to design a "Mickey Arthur Eleven" for the Test series in the West Indies next spring I suspect it would look something like:

    1. Azhar Ali
    2. Sami Aslam
    3. Babar Azam
    4. Asad Shafiq
    5. Umar Akmal
    6. Sarfraz Ahmed (c, wk)
    7. Mohammad Nawaz
    8. Amad Butt
    9. Yasir Shah
    10. Mohammad Amir
    11. Wahab Riaz

    The problem is that until the admirable Misbah retires, Pakistan is stuck with too many geriatrics and with a captain who is suspicious of any bowler aged under 28.

  4. #84
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    7,550
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    @The_Odd_One is going go mad soon.

    @Hawkeye will start his rant anytime now.

    @srh will declare Shafiq to get executed.
    From what I understand:

    @Mamoon @Hawkeye @Slog all dislike Shafiq's batting - mainly due to lack of consistency. I am also in that list. Mamoon was a big supporter of him and even wanted him in the ODI squad back in 2014/15 but has been critical of him recently.

    @Pete Rose @Saj and @MenInG still continue to back him however.

  5. #85
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    22,818
    Mentioned
    1255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    From what I understand:

    @Mamoon @Hawkeye @Slog all dislike Shafiq's batting - mainly due to lack of consistency. I am also in that list. Mamoon was a big supporter of him and even wanted him in the ODI squad back in 2014/15 but has been critical of him recently.

    @Pete Rose @Saj and @MenInG still continue to back him however.
    I don't dislike his batting. Actually it is very enjoyable and fun to watch when he is in flow

    But his inconsistency is bugging me and the fact that when he fails he REALLY fails (double pair) spectacularly is an issue

    I do think he is more of a #4 or #5 and had been saying that for a year so it may not be a bad idea to put him there soon if NZ tour doesnt go well

    though i think in fairness he should be given rest of the year in the team before any talk of being dropped comes.

  6. #86
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    23,318
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Rather like Ian Bell, I think that Asad Shafiq is his country's most technical batsman but has a psychological weakness which means that Number 3 is the wrong slot. But I also think that Number 6 is too low for him.

    In my opinion, Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq are long past their best and do brilliantly on grassless surfaces but really need to be retired as soon as the Australia tour finishes in January. And after that you will need a batting all-rounder at 6 and a bowling all-rounder at 8 in order to play the Mickey Arthur way. The retirement of the 43 year old Misbah should clear the ground for Arthur to get a chance to apply his own principles to the Test eleven, which we all know are:

    1) all-rounders at 6, 7 and 8.
    2) No more than 1 player aged over 34.
    3) No more than 2 other players aged 32-34.
    4) Minimum 8 players younger than 32.

    If I had to design a "Mickey Arthur Eleven" for the Test series in the West Indies next spring I suspect it would look something like:

    1. Azhar Ali
    2. Sami Aslam
    3. Babar Azam
    4. Asad Shafiq
    5. Umar Akmal
    6. Sarfraz Ahmed (c, wk)
    7. Mohammad Nawaz
    8. Amad Butt
    9. Yasir Shah
    10. Mohammad Amir
    11. Wahab Riaz

    The problem is that until the admirable Misbah retires, Pakistan is stuck with too many geriatrics and with a captain who is suspicious of any bowler aged under 28.

    Umar akmal can't even get I'm LO team and your here putting him in our test team. Amad Butt was dropped after the t20 series very England without playing a match. That was because Arthur and Sarfraz thought he needed more time in domestic cricket.

  7. #87
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    76,249
    Mentioned
    5001 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    From what I understand:

    @Mamoon @Hawkeye @Slog all dislike Shafiq's batting - mainly due to lack of consistency. I am also in that list. Mamoon was a big supporter of him and even wanted him in the ODI squad back in 2014/15 but has been critical of him recently.

    @Pete Rose @Saj and @MenInG still continue to back him however.
    I like Shafiq a lot, but I also understand his shortcomings and weaknesses, and I do hope he will come good at some point. There is no purpose in blindly backing a player.

  8. #88
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    27,484
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    From what I understand:

    @Mamoon @Hawkeye @Slog all dislike Shafiq's batting - mainly due to lack of consistency. I am also in that list. Mamoon was a big supporter of him and even wanted him in the ODI squad back in 2014/15 but has been critical of him recently.

    @Pete Rose @Saj and @MenInG still continue to back him however.
    most people suffer from good technique syndrome when it comes to Asad Shafiq.

  9. #89
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    3,558
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've said this before, I'll say it again, Asad Shafiq is the nearly man of our cricket.

    He is that good looking person who knows how to be charming and all that but the moment you fall in love, they'll pull up a disappearing act.


    ya aenu chuk lay ya mainu aenu chukkan di taaqat day

  10. #90
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    27,508
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Another to add to the total...


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  11. #91
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    9,055
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Need to kick him out as soon as possible. Sad to see people even back him for ODI. A technically deficient batsman

  12. #92
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    10,817
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor Asad Shafiq, his demotion back to number 6 has demoralized him.. thats unfair on the guy

  13. #93
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    10,817
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asad was primarily supposed to play as a number 3... but hasn't been given a consistent run over there.. and now at no.6 he doesn't look happy at all

  14. #94
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    29,213
    Mentioned
    978 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hilarious thread this. Poor Shafiq. Expected him to do much better than he has. Maybe all our players are saving their best for Australia. A century or two and no one will even remember them failing in this series.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  15. #95
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    7,088
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Terrible terrible player. The amount of chances he has got is unbelievable and the return on it has been zero so far.

  16. #96
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    12,238
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He has been awful in this series

    He is just an okay player

  17. #97
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Pyongyang
    Runs
    3,715
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He needs to be "Rested" for his own good

  18. #98
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    9,643
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Mental midget.

  19. #99
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    12,238
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He averages 28 outside Asia

    Asia ka sher

  20. #100
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    1,286
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite his limitations and numerous technical deficiencies masked by his scrumptious shots, he has been an excellent number 6 for us over the years. The bigger causes of concern are our number 3, 4, 5, of whom only Younis Khan averages 50+, and he is not getting any younger.

    Babar Azam, with all his talent, will give you an inning here and there, but he does not have the temperament to make it big in test cricket. Sarfraz is our number 7, and should be played as such. Rizwan and Babar should be replacements for Sarfraz and Asad Shafiq respectively, only if the latter fail for half the series. No use playing both pairs in the same match.

    What's needed is to include domestic performers such as Fawad Alam, Haris Sohail, Usman Salahuddin and others who average 45+ in domestic FC. Usman and Fawad should come in for Misbah and Babar in the matches after the Australia series. Haris will be fit by the time Younis retires so he should come then. Rizwan can be retained to keep Sarfraz on his toes, or he can be replaced with an allrounder such as Amir Yamin, Hammad Azam or Fahim Ashraf


    In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

  21. #101
    Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    6,835
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In AUS ball does not swing a whole lot, he played well in SA 4/5 years ago. His problem is side ways movement. What worries me playing all three (YK, Misbah and Shafiq) in AUS, on those bouncy wickets you need younger guys, I think the better batting order will be:

    1. Sami
    2. Azhar
    3. Babar
    4. Misbah
    5. Sharjeel
    6. Asad/Rizwan

    Sami and Azhar are very good at blunting the new ball. Sharjeel can come-in as an opener or one down to take on bowlers. Since there is little side ways movement, either play him as opener or 4th down when bowlers are tired, he can be handy... I will play Babar rather than YK, well YK is really looking bad and reflexes not up to the mark, younger players down the order can give us boost...

    We have to keep in mind Pakistan even in UAE started winning when Sarfraz came to the team. In AUS, stroke maker lower middle order can be handy (Sharjeel, Rizwan/Asad, Sarfraz, Sohail), they can make 150-200 runs if top order has blunted 40+ overs...Strategy is to attack the tired bowlers. Even here on green wickets in both innings we attacked when bowlers were tired and no swing was happening(40-70 overs), but we don't have enough stroke makers...This will be true in AUS as well, you need to have stroke makers in middle overs.

    Strategy is blunter at top, stroke makers to follow... This was how Glcrist used to take game away, SA did well just month ago with TM and De Kock at lower middle order attacking tired bowlers, we can do the same... No point blunting all the time, there are too many same players in middle order....

    BTW: YK and Misbah works in UAE or Asia, because they attack spinners like anything, make up those runs but when there are no spinners or wicket has bounce, they will be dud, we cannot have all the players who cannot play pull and cut. I like the fact the Rizwan was pulling well that may be useful in AUS.


    If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

  22. #102
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    7,550
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Another to add to the total...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Need to kick him out as soon as possible. Sad to see people even back him for ODI. A technically deficient batsman
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    Poor Asad Shafiq, his demotion back to number 6 has demoralized him.. thats unfair on the guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Hilarious thread this. Poor Shafiq. Expected him to do much better than he has. Maybe all our players are saving their best for Australia. A century or two and no one will even remember them failing in this series.
    Shafiq's form has been plumetting since the SL tour in 2015 (despite the Test hundred at the Oval)

    Maybe he just needs a break from cricket.

  23. #103
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    76,249
    Mentioned
    5001 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Not sure if Asad Shafiq or Shahid Afridi.

  24. #104
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    27,508
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asfandyar View Post
    Despite his limitations and numerous technical deficiencies masked by his scrumptious shots, he has been an excellent number 6 for us over the years. The bigger causes of concern are our number 3, 4, 5, of whom only Younis Khan averages 50+, and he is not getting any younger.

    Babar Azam, with all his talent, will give you an inning here and there, but he does not have the temperament to make it big in test cricket. Sarfraz is our number 7, and should be played as such. Rizwan and Babar should be replacements for Sarfraz and Asad Shafiq respectively, only if the latter fail for half the series. No use playing both pairs in the same match.

    What's needed is to include domestic performers such as Fawad Alam, Haris Sohail, Usman Salahuddin and others who average 45+ in domestic FC. Usman and Fawad should come in for Misbah and Babar in the matches after the Australia series. Haris will be fit by the time Younis retires so he should come then. Rizwan can be retained to keep Sarfraz on his toes, or he can be replaced with an allrounder such as Amir Yamin, Hammad Azam or Fahim Ashraf
    So after three Test matches, we know Babar doesn't have the temperament for Test cricket (despite the flawless knock in the 1st innings under pressure).

    But Shafiq (who is also playing as a specialist batsman) is somehow doing fine despite continuously contributing ducks this year, specially when he is needed the most.

    I want Shafiq to succeed - I don't want 6 years of investment to go to waste. But you're going to the opposite extreme.


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  25. #105
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    40,248
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    56 in his last 6 innings.


    It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

  26. #106
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    14,732
    Mentioned
    670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    He averages 28 outside Asia

    Asia ka sher
    Don't call it out.

    Or else some people will make sure you're a target of their posts and get called names, biased etc.

    It's becoming apparent that he's nothing short of a flat track soft runs scorer.

    Heck he's not even a flat track BULLY!! Because he can't bat with authority and bully any bowling attacks.

  27. #107
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    1,286
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    So after three Test matches, we know Babar doesn't have the temperament for Test cricket (despite the flawless knock in the 1st innings under pressure).

    But Shafiq (who is also playing as a specialist batsman) is somehow doing fine despite continuously contributing ducks this year, specially when he is needed the most.

    I want Shafiq to succeed - I don't want 6 years of investment to go to waste. But you're going to the opposite extreme.
    I am not advocating for Shafiq, please read my post again. I am just pointing out that he has been an excellent number 6 for us, as stats will show.

    You can afford to have openers and your number 6 and 7 have averages in 40s, but number 3, 4 and 5 must average greater than 45 to be considered successful. Babar is currently averaging 46, which fulfills the criterion for the moment, but his failures in domestics mean that the law of averages will soon play its part. If Babar succeeds over the next two years, I will gladly eat a humble pie and will forsake this view, but at the moment his inclusion as a number 3 is nothing more than a gamble.

    I have been following Azam since he was playing school cricket. He has a penchant for scoring huge knocks, yet the consistency factor is missing more often than not. He can be a potent replacement for Shafiq, but to have him in the upper middle order as a replacement to Misbah or Younis is a gamble of the highest order.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 29th November 2016 at 12:58.


    In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

  28. #108
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    76,249
    Mentioned
    5001 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Don't call it out.

    Or else some people will make sure you're a target of their posts and get called names, biased etc.

    It's becoming apparent that he's nothing short of a flat track soft runs scorer.

    Heck he's not even a flat track BULLY!! Because he can't bat with authority and bully any bowling attacks.
    Calm down. You were comparing him with Kohli only a few weeks ago.

  29. #109
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    27,508
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asfandyar View Post
    I am not advocating for Shafiq, please read my post again. I am just pointing out that he has been an excellent number 6 for us, as stats will show.

    You can afford to have openers and your number 6 and 7 have averages in 40s, but number 3, 4 and 5 must average greater than 45 to be considered successful. Babar is currently averaging 46, which fulfills the criterion for the moment, but his failures in domestics mean that the law of averages will soon play its part. If Babar succeeds over the next two years, I will gladly eat a humble pie and will forsake this view, but at the moment his inclusion as a number 3 is nothing more than a gamble.

    I have been following Azam since he was playing school cricket. He has a penchant for scoring huge knocks, yet the consistency factor is missing more often than not. He can be a potent replacement for Shafiq, but to have him in the upper middle order as a replacement to Misbah or Younis is a gamble of the highest order.
    If you're saying Shafiq's an excellent number 6, you're advocating for him. You can have a #6 who doesn't always perform to a high level with the bat if he's either a youngster who is expected to improve with time, or if he is an all-rounder. Shafiq is neither of those. He was the one expected to step up after Younis and Misbah leave but at this rate, he may well be leaving with them.

    I do hope he can hit a couple of big knocks soon (and stop scoring ducks). He has played 50 Test matches and we would need experience in the middle order after Misbah and Younis' retirements.

    As for Babar, it doesn't matter to me if he was averaging 20 or 60 after three Test matches. The sample size is simply too small. But his knock in the first innings showed he has the temperament for Test cricket, which isn't a format that everyone is necessarily able to adapt to.


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  30. #110
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    103,936
    Mentioned
    664 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Massive let down with the bat one again, Seems to keep showing what a poor starter he is with the bat in his inns

    Despite some good performances in past he should not be seen as an auto pick in the side.

  31. #111
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    1,286
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    If you're saying Shafiq's an excellent number 6, you're advocating for him. You can have a #6 who doesn't always perform to a high level with the bat if he's either a youngster who is expected to improve with time, or if he is an all-rounder. Shafiq is neither of those. He was the one expected to step up after Younis and Misbah leave but at this rate, he may well be leaving with them.

    I do hope he can hit a couple of big knocks soon (and stop scoring ducks). He has played 50 Test matches and we would need experience in the middle order after Misbah and Younis' retirements.

    As for Babar, it doesn't matter to me if he was averaging 20 or 60 after three Test matches. The sample size is simply too small. But his knock in the first innings showed he has the temperament for Test cricket, which isn't a format that everyone is necessarily able to adapt to.
    Pablo Escobar was an excellent manager of resources. Does that mean I advocate for him? Nope. I'd take no time replace him with the first better batsman that I find, and in my humble and frequently flawed opinion, Babar is currently on par with Asad Shafiq, if not worse, so swapping Babar for Asad at number 6 would be like replacing a well oiled, perfectly working cog with an entirely new one.

    As for Asad Shafiq being an excellent number 6, here are the stats for number 6's since 2010. How to interpret them is entirely up to you.

    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

    Why I criticize Babar Azam in tests is not because I have some sort of hatred for him. What I have observed over the years is that he lacks the patience that is required of a test batsman, and patience has a huge part in shaping a player's temperament. He has not performed exceptionally in a sandbox environment (FC) and I fear that his dip in test form may affect his ODI form, or may provide our selectors an opportunity to jeopardize his selection in the ODI squad.


    In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

  32. #112
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    23,318
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A poor series in Australia and it will be difficult to defend Asad.

  33. #113
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    36,000
    Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The poultry farm seems to be flourishing


    Can't even count the number of ducks he has in the last three four series. Must be nearing double digits now.


    Golden boy, with immaculate 'technique' yet struggles to even get off the mark


    #Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

  34. #114
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    23,318
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hasn't kicked out which is extremely disappointing. There is a good chance he could be dropped after this series. Needs a big score it will give him confidence but with the way he's batting now don't see where that is coming from.

  35. #115
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    27,508
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    The poultry farm seems to be flourishing


    Can't even count the number of ducks he has in the last three four series. Must be nearing double digits now.


    Golden boy, with immaculate 'technique' yet struggles to even get off the mark
    You're being harsh, he did made 2 runs today.


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  36. #116
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    North side of Londonnn
    Runs
    7,468
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Let's see how he will respond in the 2nd innings. Another single digit score and I'm likely to start questioning his place in the side.

  37. #117
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    12,056
    Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    His Test average is declining and rapidly catching up to his domestic average of 38.

    Oh well, it was only a matter of time, before it caught up to his 30's domestic average.


    I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

  38. #118
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    12,387
    Mentioned
    1844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    It's really simple - he has disintegrated mentally.

    It can happen to the best players - I remember Graham Gooch, Ian Botham and Greg Chappell.

    He just needs a break from Test cricket.

  39. #119
    Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    1,850
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    It's really simple - he has disintegrated mentally.

    It can happen to the best players - I remember Graham Gooch, Ian Botham and Greg Chappell.

    He just needs a break from Test cricket.
    We don't play that many tests a year so I don't see why he needs a break.

    Plus he doesn't play any other form of the game for Pakistan either so it's not as if he is burned out because he has more than enough time off between each series.

  40. #120
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    20,393
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    20 time he has been out at 5 or below 5. Roughly 30% of his total innings batted, he scored 5 or below 5.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  41. #121
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    26,176
    Mentioned
    4544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    It's really simple - he has disintegrated mentally.

    It can happen to the best players - I remember Graham Gooch, Ian Botham and Greg Chappell.

    He just needs a break from Test cricket.

    I agree he should take some much needed rest, he's not quiet there mentally! Ideally he needs to be replaced by either of these names:

    Umar Akmal
    Kamran Akmal
    Salman Butt

    If not and seeing there are not many options in our squad:
    Sharjeel Khan
    Last edited by jeetu; 17th December 2016 at 10:35.

  42. #122
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    12,387
    Mentioned
    1844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j_kazmi View Post
    We don't play that many tests a year so I don't see why he needs a break.

    Plus he doesn't play any other form of the game for Pakistan either so it's not as if he is burned out because he has more than enough time off between each series.
    That's not how it works in sport - and I am a psychiatrist.

    Sometimes a player's brain gets frazzled. And no amount of practice fixes it. Nor does returning to domestic cricket.

    You just send him away from cricket until he misses it and gets his head right.

  43. #123
    Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    1,850
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    That's not how it works in sport - and I am a psychiatrist.

    Sometimes a player's brain gets frazzled. And no amount of practice fixes it. Nor does returning to domestic cricket.

    You just send him away from cricket until he misses it and gets his head right.
    Well we had an 8 month long break from test cricket between the two England series's. Even if he played every domestic match during that time he would've still had a lot of time away from the game. So this shouldn't be an issue.

    But tbf he could have practised every day during this break which could've contributed to this.

  44. #124
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    2,607
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's got to be axed, unless he makes at least 50 in the second innings. Otherwise the only question is, who will replace Shafiq


    I smash and grab and stash the cash in plastic bags
    With raps that have pizzazz

  45. #125
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    36,000
    Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
    He's got to be axed, unless he makes at least 50 in the second innings. Otherwise the only question is, who will replace Shafiq
    Thanks to Misbah and Inzi there is no back up middle order batsman in the squad

  46. #126
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    7,088
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Thanks to Misbah and Inzi there is no back up middle order batsman in the squad
    If he scores another single digit score in the next inning, I would rather have Rizwan in the next 2 tests than him.

  47. #127
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    20,975
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    asad has knack of scoring right before being dropped, generally when the game is already lost , won't be surprised if that happens this game


    "Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

  48. #128
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    14,732
    Mentioned
    670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    It's really simple - he has disintegrated mentally.

    It can happen to the best players - I remember Graham Gooch, Ian Botham and Greg Chappell.

    He just needs a break from Test cricket.
    You're giving him too much credit.

    The mental aspect can be true in cases where a player has been exceptionally well and consistent before the mental disintegration started.

    That's not the case. He never could impose his authority, and has always been a bit inconsistent, scoring once per series.

  49. #129
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    14,732
    Mentioned
    670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    If he scores another single digit score in the next inning, I would rather have Rizwan in the next 2 tests than him.
    Yasir Shah, Amir and Sohail Khan are better batsmen than Rizwan.

    Stop calling for a specialist fielder to be played as a batsman.

  50. #130
    Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    6,761
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal should have been in the test squad all this time and these two should have fought it out for a place in the 11.

    Instead it was just handed to Shafiq on a golden platter and he made sure to get enough good scores on those flat decks in the UAE.

  51. #131
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    29,213
    Mentioned
    978 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blistering Barnacle View Post
    Umar Akmal should have been in the test squad all this time and these two should have fought it out for a place in the 11.

    Instead it was just handed to Shafiq on a golden platter and he made sure to get enough good scores on those flat decks in the UAE.
    He has centuries in South Africa and England. Enough with these lies.

    He's going through a poor run of form but he should bounce back soon. He's shown that he definitely has the quality to score runs everywhere and he will get some good scores in Australia too if persisted with for the next two tests.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  52. #132
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    22,818
    Mentioned
    1255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blistering Barnacle View Post
    Umar Akmal should have been in the test squad all this time and these two should have fought it out for a place in the 11.

    Instead it was just handed to Shafiq on a golden platter and he made sure to get enough good scores on those flat decks in the UAE.
    Yes I guess it was Shafiqs alter ego making centuries in England and South Africa

  53. #133
    Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    6,761
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Yes I guess it was Shafiqs alter ego making centuries in England and South Africa
    What was his average in SA and Eng? Something special? I didn't think so.

  54. #134
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    40,248
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    time to hit a double hundred asad sahib. no excuses


    It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

  55. #135
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extremely over-rated. Mentally very weak. The only consistency he has is performing once in a series and that is going away too it seems.

  56. #136
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    7,088
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Yes I guess it was Shafiqs alter ego making centuries in England and South Africa
    Despite that still averages in 20s overseas.

  57. #137
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    36,000
    Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Whenever you raise a voice against golden boy his fans bring up those centuries in SA and England.

  58. #138
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    23,318
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Needs a score tomorrow

  59. #139
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    5,772
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Seemed to have lost his confidence. Being demoted to no. 6 was a sign of no confidence in his ability.

  60. #140
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Whenever you raise a voice against golden boy his fans bring up those centuries in SA and England.
    And the sad fact is that those centuries were scored in losing causes. Typical of the mentally fragile Shafiq.

  61. #141
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    22,818
    Mentioned
    1255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StarWolf View Post
    And the sad fact is that those centuries were scored in losing causes. Typical of the mentally fragile Shafiq.
    Yes we lost Oval test

    Atleast get your facts straight lmao

  62. #142
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Yes we lost Oval test

    Atleast get your facts straight lmao
    But that wasnt a match winning performance, was it? But, okay, lets say oval test was. What about the other centuries? All of them in losing causes. Shafiq should be thrown out of the team if he doesnt performs in this test.

  63. #143
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    22,818
    Mentioned
    1255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StarWolf View Post
    But that wasnt a match winning performance, was it? But, okay, lets say oval test was. What about the other centuries? All of them in losing causes. Shafiq should be thrown out of the team if he doesnt performs in this test.
    Who should be brought in?

  64. #144
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Who should be brought in?
    Any of the top performers in domestic should be given the chance. Saud Shakeel is one name that comes in my mind.

  65. #145
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    23,609
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No doubt now that he is mentally short. Needa a big score here .

  66. #146
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    22,818
    Mentioned
    1255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StarWolf View Post
    Any of the top performers in domestic should be given the chance. Saud Shakeel is one name that comes in my mind.
    They should have been brought in then. Haris would have been natural choice

    I also think that if he fails this innings (failure would be less than a 35 atleast), then he should be dropped. But the problem is I am almost dead certain Rizwan will be a walking wicket

  67. #147
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    13,635
    Mentioned
    690 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He's always scored soft runs. Just doesn't have the mettle to score at number 3. He shouldn't bat any higher than 5 IR 6.


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  68. #148
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    They should have been brought in then. Haris would have been natural choice

    I also think that if he fails this innings (failure would be less than a 35 atleast), then he should be dropped. But the problem is I am almost dead certain Rizwan will be a walking wicket
    Rizwan is obviously a much worst choice than Shafiq. Dont know how this guy is even in the squad. The only reason i can see is as a back up keeper. Cannot play pace, cannot play spin.

    Definitely should have been brought in the domestic players but then we all know how garbage of a selection this squad has been.

  69. #149
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,179
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And so it begins.

  70. #150
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    22,818
    Mentioned
    1255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nombre View Post
    And so it begins.
    Lol he got out?

    I've stopped watching now

  71. #151
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    27,508
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Lol he got out?

    I've stopped watching now
    'And so it begins' as in his innings begins...

    He has three runs already. But second new-ball is due in five overs.


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  72. #152
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    'And so it begins' as in his innings begins...

    He has three runs already. But second new-ball is due in five overs.
    Dont see him lasting for long. Hopefully, i am wrong.

  73. #153
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    2,607
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good 50 today, should keep his spot for the next test at least


    I smash and grab and stash the cash in plastic bags
    With raps that have pizzazz

  74. #154
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    5,772
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    TBH Amir has been more impressive with the bat than him.

  75. #155
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    2,607
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a superb hundred! That is a champion's knock. Outstanding!


    I smash and grab and stash the cash in plastic bags
    With raps that have pizzazz

  76. #156
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    76,249
    Mentioned
    5001 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Should continue to bat at 6. Hopefully he won't add any ducks to his poultry farm in 2017.

  77. #157
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    29,213
    Mentioned
    978 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I think the poultry farm is now out of business.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  78. #158
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    286
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the haters here made to eat their words. Ouch!

  79. #159
    Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    1,974
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even today he has 2 ducks but only difference is that he has 1 before them

  80. #160
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    36,000
    Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    I think the poultry farm is now out of business.
    Technically he laid two eggs today as well


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •