Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You can't expect him to throw a ball at 135 with a messed up shoulder. I'm pretty sure surfing isn't too demanding on the shoulders, rather they're just used for balance?

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Steyn turned 34 a few days ago - even if he does make a comeback I wonder how much he has left in the tank after such a great test match career?

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's going on with Dale Steyn?

Is he currently unfit or out of form or what? Just a few years back he was the scourge of batsmen all over the world. The number 1 bowler with a freakish average and strike rate, the quickest in the world running down batting lineups just for fun. Then he started floundering, got hit like a kid in the IPL, I believe he was injured off and on as well. What's his current status?

Kut khani hai to aa jao idher, khushbo laga ke!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    He was always like Waqar: devastating when fast, but too short to enjoy a long career because when he lost his pace he could be clobbered.

He could still have a role as a strike bowler in Tests, using outswing at 135k in short bursts, in a four paceman attack where he would only bowl 12-15 overs per day.

But for racial quota reasons that won't happen.

So last year he tried to bowl in the 140's in the Perth Test, and destroyed his shoulder.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a shame. He hasn't played a test or ODI since dec 2015. Is his career really over?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Stoke
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rate Sarfraz as he played out Dale

Not just any player but Pakistani batsmen in general are his bunnies

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Edmonton-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    He was always like Waqar: devastating when fast, but too short to enjoy a long career because when he lost his pace he could be clobbered.

He could still have a role as a strike bowler in Tests, using outswing at 135k in short bursts, in a four paceman attack where he would only bowl 12-15 overs per day.

So last year he tried to bowl in the 140's in the Perth Test, and destroyed his shoulder.
    Really, I always thought he was a 140-142 Average bowler. I remember watching him pick up 5 wickets against NZ last year he still seems to be able to swing it. But yeah the pace is down a few KM's.

Wasn't Waqar more of a high 140's bowler into the 150's at the end of his career his pace dropped into the 130's? I can't say much about Waqar since I never seen him bowl live.

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QalandarFan View Post
    Really, I always thought he was a 140-142 Average bowler. I remember watching him pick up 5 wickets against NZ last year he still seems to be able to swing it. But yeah the pace is down a few KM's.

Wasn't Waqar more of a high 140's bowler into the 150's at the end of his career his pace dropped into the 130's? I can't say much about Waqar since I never seen him bowl live.
    Correct on both counts. Waqar was seriously quick before his own injuries.

Steyn is more of a situation bowler- he bowls within himself in the first spell of the day so that he can control & use the swing. Then depending on what the ball is doing he might have bowled flat out- 145-150 depending on form- to blast out with sheer pace or if it's moving nicely he'll save his energy and keep that quick spell up his sleeve and operate at 137-142ish.

Steyn wrecked his shoulder in a car crash a few years back and has hardly strung 2 tests together since. It literally fell apart with fractures last time he came back- a clear sign the joint is so unstable that it cannot take the strain of bowling fast anymore.

I don't think we'll see Steyn in tests or ODI again- he might nurse himself through a few T20 contracts though.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    941 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He's finished, Hafeez lost the battles but won the war.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Edmonton-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    Correct on both counts. Waqar was seriously quick before his own injuries.

Steyn is more of a situation bowler- he bowls within himself in the first spell of the day so that he can control & use the swing. Then depending on what the ball is doing he might have bowled flat out- 145-150 depending on form- to blast out with sheer pace or if it's moving nicely he'll save his energy and keep that quick spell up his sleeve and operate at 137-142ish.

Steyn wrecked his shoulder in a car crash a few years back and has hardly strung 2 tests together since. It literally fell apart with fractures last time he came back- a clear sign the joint is so unstable that it cannot take the strain of bowling fast anymore.

I don't think we'll see Steyn in tests or ODI again- he might nurse himself through a few T20 contracts though.
    Yeah I remember seeing a Cricket Australia clip where they ask the players their opinion on Steyn and they talk about how great he is with the new ball and then Smith and Warner are quick on pointing out how he gets and extra 6-8 clicks in his later spell when the bowl starts reversing, absolute legend is Steyn going to miss him, having followed him so closely.

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

South Africa pace great Dale Steyn signals return after shoulder-injury layoff

The ‘Steyn Gun’ could be about to make a comeback to international cricket after almost a year out due to a shoulder injury.

Widely regarded as one of the greatest fast bowlers the world has ever seen, Dale Steyn’s future was cast in doubt after suffering a fractured shoulder in the first Test against Australia in Perth last November.

Now 34-years-old, Steyn’s injury at that time was seen by some as a career-ending blow and there were doubts if he could ever return to being the beast he was in peak condition.

As of now, those questions might just about to be answered after the ‘Phalaborwa Express’ posted an Instagram update signalling that a comeback was on the cards.

International cricket sure has missed the fiery Steyn with his never-say-die attitude and his return would be welcomed by the cricket fraternity.

With 417 Test wickets in just 85 matches, Steyn needs just five more scalps to overtake another South African great in Shaun Pollock as the country’s highest wicket-taker.

For a man who was destined to breach the 500-wicket mark with ease before his injury troubles, there could now still be time for Steyn to attain that landmark, though whether he gets the chance to do that remains to be seen.

Skipper Faf du Plessis on his return from the recently concluded England tour remarked that it would be tough for Steyn to come back at the highest level and that there were concerns if he would ever be able to bowl at usual pace again.

Steyn responded back by saying that pace was not a concern. One could find themselves agreeing with the premier express bowler whose potency lies just not in his pace but more so in his natural out-swingers to the right-handed batsmen.

Having not played a competitive match in nine months now, Steyn will be eager to get back into the national set-up and get some games under his belt before the visits of Bangladesh and India later this year.

Cricket fans all over the world have missed Steyn with his trademark celebrations and it would sure be a sight to behold if the master could come back to play at the highest level when the number one ranked India visit South Africa.

A Virat Kohli versus a reinvigorated Dale Steyn should be a cracker of a battle. We just hope it happens come winter.

http://sport360.com/article/cricket/...injury-layoff/

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Hope he comes back for the series against Australia. India shouldn't be too much of a problem for the South Africans and no way is he playing eight test matches within a short span of time.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4567 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

Hope they take it easy with them and not throw him at the deep end from the get go, excited for his comeback ! the 500 mark will still be a challenge but getting past Pollock will be a monumental achievement for him and one that he will deserve

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most exciting cricketer in the world in the last decade. Hope he comes back fit and has another 2-3 good years. He deserves 500+ wickets for how great he is.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    South Africa's Dale Steyn delays return from lengthy injury layoff, withdraws from domestic first-class match

Cape Town: South African strike bowler Dale Steyn has delayed his return from a lengthy injury layoff after withdrawing from a domestic first-class series match because he felt he was not ready.

Steyn, who has taken 417 Test wickets for South Africa, has been sidelined since fracturing his shoulder while bowling against Australia in a Test in Perth in November.

It is the second time his comeback has been put on hold. He was supposed to tour England with South Africa A in June but said then his rehabilitation had not gone as quickly as hoped.

“Right now I’m bowling fine but I haven’t hit the full workload I’d need to handle in four-day cricket or a Test‚ so I decided it was best not to play,” the 34-year-old said on Thursday.

Steyn was planning to make his comeback for the Titans against the Dolphins on Tuesday.

His decision puts in jeopardy his chances of a comeback in the two-Test series against Bangladesh‚ which starts in Potchefstroom on 28 September.

He said he would rather play limited overs or club cricket to ease himself back into action.

“I don’t want to put myself or the team in a position where I pull up again,” he said.

“Some shorter cricket might be the better answer for a reintroduction... I thought going from nothing to possibly bowling 30-plus overs was a bit of a risk.”

Steyn, who is just five shy of surpassing Shaun Pollock as the country’s leading Test wicket taker, also missed most of the 2015-16 Test series against England because of shoulder problems.

He suffered the original injury in the Durban Test against England at the end of 2015.

http://www.firstpost.com/firstcricke...h-4044889.html
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 15th September 2017 at 01:04.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he has been wrapped in cotton wool throughout his career and has missed more limited over games than he has played but he is still too weak to play 100 tests

makes me respect anderson a lot more and i have never been his fan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post
    he has been wrapped in cotton wool throughout his career and has missed more limited over games than he has played but he is still too weak to play 100 tests

How many great fast bowlers have played 100 Tests?

Walsh, Kapil, Anderson, McGrath, Vaas, Broad, Pollock, Wasim, Botham, Ntini are the only fast bowlers to have played 100 Tests.

Many great pacers never went on to play 100 Tests.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Walsh, Kapil, Anderson, McGrath, Vaas, Broad, Pollock, Wasim, Botham, Ntini are the only fast bowlers to have played 100 Tests.

To compare workload, you have to compare FC matches, ODIs and List A. Even someone like Shoaib who'd lost his knees by 2002 has more FC matches, 133 to 128, than Steyn, forget list A and ODIs.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but they played a lot of limited overs

steyn is a softie

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dale steyn should have given up ipl and other t20 leagues and i am sure he would have played 100+ tests and 250 odi's

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    To compare workload, you have to compare FC matches, ODIs and List A. Even someone like Shoaib who'd lost his knees by 2002 has more FC matches, 133 to 128, than Steyn, forget list A and ODIs.
    True. Though Steyn has bowled thousands more deliveries overall taking all FC/LA/T20 into account, and in 3-4 fewer years.

I just noticed that Marshall played 400+ each FC and List-A bowling almost 100k deliveries. That's crazy.

Anyway calling Steyn a softie due to his weakness in ODIs and in Tests against the best teams (away from home) is a point worth considering but I'm not sure how a shoulder fracture makes him a softie. He has been out for a long time though so not sure if there's been some mismanagement with his injury or what.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    True. Though Steyn has bowled thousands more deliveries overall taking all FC/LA/T20 into account, and in 3-4 fewer years.

I just noticed that Marshall played 400+ each FC and List-A bowling almost 100k deliveries. That's crazy.

Anyway calling Steyn a softie due to his weakness in ODIs and in Tests against the best teams (away from home) is a point worth considering but I'm not sure how a shoulder fracture makes him a softie. He has been out for a long time though so not sure if there's been some mismanagement with his injury or what.
    You also have to consider Shoaib was bowling them two yards faster on average thus expending more energy.

Hence the undisputed GOAT.

Softie is not the correct word. He's not the most durable thus has been kept in a cotton wool, often given long resting periods after a series but he does give it his all. You can't call him soft.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo23 View Post

Because Anderson has been a regular member of the ODI team.

Oh wait

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuts_and_cuts_hard View Post
    Because Anderson has been a regular member of the ODI team.

Oh wait
    anderson has played nearly 80 odis more than steyn and he is well set to play 150 tests which is crazy for a pacer

he has also played a lot more first class matches

"To Became A Good Player, You Need Talent. To Became A Great Player You Need An Attitude Like Kohli" - Sunil Gavaskar

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    STEYN RETURNS AS TITANS MAKE IT TWO FROM TWO

Wednesday, 15 November 2017

Half-centuries from Aiden Markram and Henry Davids paved the way for the Multiply Titans to make it two RAM SLAM T20 Challenge wins from two after a thumping 38-run win over the VKB Knights at the Diamond Oval in Kimberley on Wednesday.

Both made exactly 50 as the defending champions amassed a venue record of 199 for four – the previous mark being 190 for three set by the Cape Cobras against the Eagles way back in the 2006/07 season.

Tabraiz Shamsi took two for 30 as the visitors failed to put up any sort of fight and eventually replied with 161 for seven.

Dale Steyn, returning from a lengthy injury lay-off, made a successful comeback to competitive action by collecting one for 25.

Overall, though, it was a disappointing end to a match that promised so much after both sides entered the match on the back of victories in the opening round of games at the weekend.

The Titans, who lost the toss and were asked to bat first, started well with veteran Davids, who opened the batting, facing 42 deliveries and striking three sixes and two fours for the 20th T20 half-century of his career, while rising young star Markram faced 34 balls for his fifth career half-ton, which included four fours and a six.

The pair were the main contributors, but the fireworks were provided by AB de Villers and Farhaan Behardien, the latter blitzing 37 off just 14 balls.

De Villiers went past 6 000 runs in 20-over cricket, becoming the first South African and 15th man overall to the mark during his innings of 43 from 20 deliveries.

Titans captain Albie Morkel (1/10), who became the fifth player from any country to play 300 T20 games, made the initial breakthrough with the wicket of Grant Mokoena (21).

Steyn and Shamsi accounted for the two key men in the line-up, dismissing Theunis de Bruyn (22) and David Miller (8) respectively – severely denting the Knights’ prospects.

Top-scorer Andries Gous tried his best to change the script, but his 37 failed to hurt the Titans as they claimed another big win.
    Last edited by MenInG; 16th November 2017 at 00:32.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    DALE STEYN eased back into the longest format of the game on the opening day of the three-day tour match between Zimbabwe and the SA Invitation XI at Eurolux Boland Park on Wednesday.

He slotted very easily back into a rhythm that belied the fact that he had been inactive for more than a year with the nine overs he sent down in two spells in the first two sessions costing just nine runs.

By his own admission he did not crank the speed gun up and kept his short ball in the locker for next week’s Test match, concentrating on bowling an immaculate line and length that saw him start his new ball spell with 18 consecutive dot deliveries.

He had a confident appeal for a catch behind the wicket to his fourth delivery to Hamilton Masakadza turned down and then had a catch dropped at backward point to his 19th delivery that resulted in the first run that he conceded.

The important thing was that he came through his activity without feeling the slightest pain or niggle and he created another chance in his second spell with an inside edge by the left-handed Ryan Burls that evaded the keeper and went for the boundary that put three figures on the board.

Steyn clearly has a lot more ammunition in his tank which will no doubt be primed in the build-up to next Tuesday and the start of the pink ball Test.

The seamers were not helped by a pink ball that went soft very quickly. There was nevertheless a lot to like about the first change seamer, Tladi Bokako, while the experienced franchise leg-spinner, Shaun von Berg, was as effective and reliable as ever.

He captured the key wicket of Brendan Taylor and later broke the fourth-wicket stand of 65 between Masakadza and Burls when he dismissed the latter and then got rid of Sikandar Raza as well to have the excellent figures of 3/47 after 16 overs.

Masakadza provided the foundation of the Zimbabwe innings, scoring more than half the runs in the first 50 overs that saw his side reach 134/5 with 48 overs still left in the evening.

Under cover of darkness the ball started to swing and seam appreciably and Zimbabwe lost their last 5 wickets for 33 runs. This included Lizaad Williams taking the last three wickets in four balls with Michael Cohen and Von Berg also finishing with three wickets.

Masakadza’s 79 (181 balls, 9 fours and a six) was far and away the biggest contribution to Zimbabwe’s total of 196 all out.

It left the SA side with 24 overs to face in testing conditions. The home side lost both their openers cheaply before Temba Bavuma settled them down with the fastest scoring of the match.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Is he injured again?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    Is he injured again?
    Trouble with his bowling boots apparently.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies, it's a bruised heel. Misled by the cricinfo commentary when he left the field.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Venue
    South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Official Update: Dale Steyn has a bruised left heel and has been taken for scans for further investigations. CSA will give an update when available. #ProteaFire

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest reports suggest that he could be out of the series.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Hampshire Cricket can announce that South African fast-bowler Dale Steyn, who made his debut for the Club this week, will take the place of Hashim Amla for three further matches this month as the batsman is unable to return due to injury.

Amla, who suffered a minor knee injury in May, returned to South Africa late last month for fitness testing and medical screening with the national side, and the decision has been made that he won’t return in order to ensure his recovery before South Africa’s Test series against Sri Lanka this July.

Steyn will now be available for the two Specsavers County Championship matches later this month against Yorkshire and Lancashire in his place, as well as this weekend’s fixture against Surrey which was earmarked as the seamer’s four-day debut after signing for the Club in April.

The right-armer will also be available for the Royal London One-Day Cup semi-final fixture to be held at the Ageas Bowl on the 17th or 18th June after James Vince’s side secured top spot in the South Group.

Hampshire Director of Cricket, Giles White said: “I can’t say enough positive things about Hashim. He made a brilliant impression and he’s been outstanding throughout that time spent with us, both through his engagement with the Club and our young players, as well as the experience and skill he offered with the bat.

“It’s easy to see why he’s so well regarded around the world and one of the greats of our era. We wish him well against Sri Lanka and hopefully one day we’ll see him back in Hampshire colours.”

Amla was prolific throughout his nine-match stint at the Ageas Bowl, totalling 611 runs at an average of more than 50 in both four-day and List A matches during April and May.

The 35-year-old also topped the list of County Championship run-getters after the opening five fixtures, recording two centuries and three fifties in his nine innings’.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Dale Steyn is back fit and firing against Sri Lanka. Hope he stays fit this time as SA desperately needs him with the ball.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    He is off the fields on Day 2 of the 3rd Test vs Pakistan - shortly after he threw a ball in from the outfield and then clutched his shoulder

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    He is off the fields on Day 2 of the 3rd Test vs Pakistan - shortly after he threw a ball in from the outfield and then clutched his shoulder
    Back on the field again.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1824 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Back on the field again.
    off again - so clearly not 100%

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should have been rested for this dead rubber, would make sense given how injury prone he is.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's bowling faster than what he did prior to his injury.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has looked highly impressive all series despite some boundaries being hit as a result of slightly reduced accuracy. But he still looks like the great bowler he is.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a bowler

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post

Consistently bowling over 140 and close to 92 occasionally.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Steyn is better than Waqar and scores a lot more due to his longetivity