May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How do you rate Faf du Plessis' captaincy?

I think one of the reasons South Africa have come back so well is Faf's captaincy. His strike bowler has been injured and he has still managed to blow away the home team at a venue like the WACA with just 2 pacers. His field placings for Maharaj in particular have been superb. Even before this test he was the first captain in history to beat Australia 5-0 in an ODI series. I think he should be South Africa's permanent captain in all 3 formats and Devilliers (who himself is tactically pretty good) should just play as a batsman.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    He is the obvious Test captain.

But he lost out to Amla for racial reasons, and then to his schoolmate AB simply because De Villiers was threatening to retire.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very good tactically and seems as though he can handle the pressure. I have seen articles saying he was captain of a lot of teams when he was younger.

His batting seems to be good when he's captain. I would keep him as captain and just allow AB to concentrate on his batting. Ab seems to be emotional when he's captain and sometimes the pressure can get to him. He may not be around for much longer anyway. Faf seems to be in it for the long haul.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yea he is a good captain.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hes been amazing. South Africa have to make him captain in all 3 formats even when AB returns

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ian Chappell praising his captaincy a lot.

Should be the long-term captain for South Africa in Tests as long as his performances with the bat merit a spot in the team.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Best tactician in South Africa. Was obvious from the one dayers and from the start of this test series. Excellent leader too

Kuch to log kahenge
    Logon ka kaam hai kehna

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He played under dhoni Soo many games in ipl must help him

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intelligent captain has to be said. Always aware of what's happening and never seems to let the team slip away from doing what they're done so far which is attack.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza78 View Post
    He played under dhoni Soo many games in ipl must help him
    Rubbish. Faf has been captain since primary school.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Have been really impressed with Faf as skipper, he seems to be able to bring the best out of his team as a unit and individuals. There seem to be no egos in the team and everyone knows their role in the side. The batting looks decent with a lot of graft in it and the bowling has worked well in pairs on applying pressure at both ends during the series so far

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I genuinely believe South African team wouldn't have won that 1st test under ABD leadership. Faf seems to have brought a fighting spirit to South African team.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You get the sense that Faf is one of those guys that gets the guys motivated, the entire team feeds off his energy.

Manages his bowlers well and his field settings are always reflective of the situation.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A very good captain indeed, much better than ABD. He should be appointed on a long term basis. ABD like Amla is a horrible captain and an absolute wreck in pressure situations. There's no one other than Faf who can take the mantle as of now, also the series victory both in ODI's and Tests will give him immense self belief.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tactically good and has the personality of a leader.

I am not one of those who when expressing opinions confine themselves to facts.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    A decent/good type type player a tremendous captain. The reign of de Villiers has ended before it started.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Great captain, definitely better than Amla (who was shockingly bad lol) & de Villiers

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He's the best in the world.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    He's the best in the world.
    Sarfaraz might have something to say about that- can't wait to see his test captaincy.

But yes, Faf should be captain ahead of AB.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only second to Sarfraz when it comes to captaincy.
    I am very choosy picking captains and think there are only 2 good serving captains in the world: Sarfraz and Faf.
    Gambhir should have been utilized by India.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brilliant captain. Seems able to handle the pressure of capatincy and also has the tactical nouse to lead his side. South Africa should appoint him as capatin in all 3 formats.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1078 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Brilliant captain. Seems able to handle the pressure of capatincy and also has the tactical nouse to lead his side. South Africa should appoint him as capatin in all 3 formats.
    Toss win also helped - I'll give him lot, lot more credit, if he wins a Test after losing the toss. Modern cricket doesn't demand players to bail out adverse situations for their greatness, therefore bat first or 2nd, one has to win a bit when you don't get the chance to call the shots on 1st morning, to convince old haggard like me. But still, he is better than anyone SAF can appoint now.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1078 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post

But he lost out to Amla for racial reasons, and then to his schoolmate AB simply because De Villiers was threatening to retire.
    Do you understand, in 9 months who laughable statement it sounds now?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Toss win also helped - I'll give him lot, lot more credit, if he wins a Test after losing the toss. Modern cricket doesn't demand players to bail out adverse situations for their greatness, therefore bat first or 2nd, one has to win a bit when you don't get the chance to call the shots on 1st morning, to convince old haggard like me. But still, he is better than anyone SAF can appoint now.
    Won a game in Australia with 3 bowlers after scoring 240, he's a good captain. He deserves credit regardless of the toss of a coin.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Gets the best out of SA. AB should resign as ODI captain, but he won't because he's extremely selfish.

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good captain. You know he'll get the best out of everyone regardless of the situation.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1078 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Won a game in Australia with 3 bowlers after scoring 240, he's a good captain. He deserves credit regardless of the toss of a coin.
    Still, won the toss at WACA, which allowed him (his team) to bat on Day 3 & 4 in WACA, which is best for batting in that period before it starts to crack. But, he is definitely better than anyone since Smith.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Took two big calls which paid off in this Test.

Batted first despite green pitch and clouds overhead after the dire batting performance at Lord's. Included an extra bowler in Chris Morris who bowled well in that 2nd innings.

SAF looked rudderless at Lord's, but Faf's return has immediately provided leadership and whipped his boys into shape.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Still, won the toss at WACA, which allowed him (his team) to bat on Day 3 & 4 in WACA, which is best for batting in that period before it starts to crack. But, he is definitely better than anyone since Smith.

Not hard to be better than Amla who was a rubbish captain but Faf is a brilliant captain no doubt.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idrizzy View Post
    Very good captain. You know he'll get the best out of everyone regardless of the situation.
    He is one of my biggest worry in 2019 wc. I rate captain's role very highly in cricket and if somehow Pakistan - SA play in the knockouts then it will be battle of 2 best captains and Sarfraz will first time have a competitor.

That said hope AB remains the captain for SA in till WC :p

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    He is one of my biggest worry in 2019 wc. I rate captain's role very highly in cricket and if somehow Pakistan - SA play in the knockouts then it will be battle of 2 best captains and Sarfraz will first time have a competitor.

That said hope AB remains the captain for SA in till WC :p
    Test matches and LOIs are different things. It'll be interesting to se Sarf handle Tests as he seems a very proactive captain where Tests are about patience - where obviously that's a trait Misbah excels in.

However Sarf has had Misbah to learn from so I'm hoping not too much will change there.

Faf however - I can see him potentially captaning ODIs from here on. But in the World Cup, I agree captaincy and momentum matters. It all really depends on how he handles the pressure (which I think he will) and how he can get that extra ounce of energy from his team. They have a mental block in tournaments and he's the right man to get them out of it.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His leadership has improved a lot, and his tactics have been pretty good recently. But his captaincy in Wt20 2012 semi final against India was absolutely rubbish.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test matches and LOIs are different things. It'll be interesting to se Sarf handle Tests as he seems a very proactive captain where Tests are about patience - where obviously that's a trait Misbah excels in.

However Sarf has had Misbah to learn from so I'm hoping not too much will change there.

Faf however - I can see him potentially captaning ODIs from here on. But in the World Cup, I agree captaincy and momentum matters. It all really depends on how he handles the pressure (which I think he will) and how he can get that extra ounce of energy from his team. They have a mental block in tournaments and he's the right man to get them out of it.
    Sarfraz will do fine in tests and Faf in odis.
    I back Sarfraz, the captain, to win our first test series in Aus/SA.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz will do fine in tests and Faf in odis.
    I back Sarfraz, the captain, to win our first test series in Aus/SA.
    Hard to say that. Very optimistic tbh.

In the Champions Trophy his captaincy was brilliant but the teams performance was shaky at times. It was great character to win all matches from that drubbing vs India, and maybe that was due to him or just the freshness of having Zaman in the team.

I think he's a better captain if he has support in performance. He thrives on positivity and if our Test players can give him a confident start then maybe we can win in SA/Aus. A lot depends on Azhar, Amir, Hasan and Shah.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you pronounce this guy's name ??????

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadevdesai View Post
    How do you pronounce this guy's name ??????
    Pronounced: fuf doo pluh-see

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to say that. Very optimistic tbh.

In the Champions Trophy his captaincy was brilliant but the teams performance was shaky at times. It was great character to win all matches from that drubbing vs India, and maybe that was due to him or just the freshness of having Zaman in the team.

I think he's a better captain if he has support in performance. He thrives on positivity and if our Test players can give him a confident start then maybe we can win in SA/Aus. A lot depends on Azhar, Amir, Hasan and Shah.
    Tbh I dont think the team in Champions Trophy was our best. Better players were not in the team. We played 80% to our potential and still won.
    Sarfraz deserves lot of credit for that. Ticks almost all the boxes as captain: Tactically good, excellent reader of match situations and conditions, dont let the opposition settle, backs his players, get the best out of his players, controversy free, continuity policy, no favoritism, get well along with his teammates and inspires others and give confidence when the team is down and out are some of his qualities as captain.

Btw apart from the ones you mentioned dont forget our 2 main weapons Haris and Babar in the next series in Aus/SA. I am pretty confident about these 2 doing well, especially Haris. He is the best player of fast bowling in Pakistan imo. Team has potential and needs time and backing.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    True leader. Great seeing him captain the side.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Seattle, WA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pronounced: fuf doo pluh-see
    It is pronounced Fauw short for Francios.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post

Do you understand, in 9 months who laughable statement it sounds now?
    Yes, I certainly do!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    @Junaids what's with this white power victim mentality When you point it out with regards to Zimbabweans as well we know you have a problem you need to get out of Manchester every now and then fella!

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Should be cap'n in all forms.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's the best captain going around. When du plessis puts those sunglasses on, he can send shivers down anybody's spine.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbh I dont think the team in Champions Trophy was our best. Better players were not in the team. We played 80% to our potential and still won.
    Sarfraz deserves lot of credit for that. Ticks almost all the boxes as captain: Tactically good, excellent reader of match situations and conditions, dont let the opposition settle, backs his players, get the best out of his players, controversy free, continuity policy, no favoritism, get well along with his teammates and inspires others and give confidence when the team is down and out are some of his qualities as captain.

Btw apart from the ones you mentioned dont forget our 2 main weapons Haris and Babar in the next series in Aus/SA. I am pretty confident about these 2 doing well, especially Haris. He is the best player of fast bowling in Pakistan imo. Team has potential and needs time and backing.
    Well said- Sarfaraz as test captain is an exciting prospect. He will need to be supported/given time as the test team is in transition with the retirements of MisYou, but I am confident he can carry PCT forward.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    Well said- Sarfaraz as test captain is an exciting prospect. He will need to be supported/given time as the test team is in transition with the retirements of MisYou, but I am confident he can carry PCT forward.
    He is the best suited captain for a team and country like Pakistan. We are not Aus/SA and have our own problems.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best captain in world cricket. A natural leader whose out of the box thinking, aggressiveness and overall intelligence of the game put him in a league of his own. His declaration at Adelaide and most recently the promotion of de Kock to No. 4 are just 2 examples of how he makes decisions that have a crucial impact on the game for his team.

It's a real shame that CSA are wasting their time on de Villiers as captain simply because he's de Villiers and he thinks he can win the WC for South Africa. He probably can as a player but sometimes he makes some woeful decisions as captain and with du Plessis at the helm I'd be a whole lot more confident of my team's chances at the WC if I was a South African.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Cairo, Egypt
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive captain, but he needs to be careful while "shining" the ball.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!