Jul 2013
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy Murray: Plans to retire after Wimbledon & Australian Open could be last tournament [Post #32]

Andy Murray has become the world’s No 1 tennis player for the first time after Milos Raonic withdrew from their Paris Masters semi-final on Saturday.

The walkover was confirmed when Raonic revealed he suffered a tear to his right quad during his last-eight victory over Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and would not be able to feature in Saturday's semi-final - handing Murray the final place he needed to secure the ranking, which will become official on Monday morning.

Djokovic had been No 1 since June 2014 - a 122-week run at the top of the list - but his quarter-final defeat to Marin Cilic on Friday opened the door for Murray, who now becomes the 26th man to top the rankings and the first Britain to top the standings since the system was introduced in 1973.

At 29, the Scot is also the oldest player to reach No 1 for the first time since John Newcombe in 1974 and is also the first man other than Djokovic, Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal to hold top spot since Andy Roddick in 2004.

http://www.skysports.com/tennis/news...draws-in-paris

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Taken him long enough...

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Brilliant achievement, one of if not the greatest British sportsman.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dawn of a new era for Murray?

Wonder if he will exhibit greater self-confidence and start winning grand slams more frequently.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad10 View Post
    The dawn of a new era for Murray?

Wonder if he will exhibit greater self-confidence and start winning grand slams more frequently.
    He's always been a distant 4th in comparison to Djokovic, Nadal and Federer and it is no surprise that he has lost most of his slam matches to them in the SF and Finals - that is why he is at 3 slams rather than 7-8 slams because ehe lost to better players.

However, right now there is a vacuum with Djokovic displaying a certain drop in form over the last 5 months and all other top players being very inconsistent, Murray can certainly be more positive this time around for the AO and he definitely will be favourite for Wimby if he has a decent start to 2017 too.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Taken him long enough...
    Kind of harsh IMO.

I'm not a Murray, in fact his style of play is anathema to me and I sully don't watch his matches unless he's at the business end of a slam (Federer all the way) but the fact is that he has been unfortunate to be playing in the era of 3 ATGs, an era where for the first time 3 players have won 10 slams and more individually - there was no chance for a great player like Murray to stand up to ATG ability.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    He's always been a distant 4th in comparison to Djokovic, Nadal and Federer and it is no surprise that he has lost most of his slam matches to them in the SF and Finals - that is why he is at 3 slams rather than 7-8 slams because ehe lost to better players.

However, right now there is a vacuum with Djokovic displaying a certain drop in form over the last 5 months and all other top players being very inconsistent, Murray can certainly be more positive this time around for the AO and he definitely will be favourite for Wimby if he has a decent start to 2017 too.
    It's true that he's never been at the level of those three and usually breezes past most non-big-three opponents. That's why he has a decent number of non-grand slam titles to his name, as grand slam titles tend to be hogged by the big-three.

Wawrinka also seems to be in the ascendancy of late. Both of them should be eyeing a few more titles assuming Djokovic doesn't return to form anytime soon, as I don't see any world-class youngsters on the horizon.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It's true that he's never been at the level of those three and usually breezes past most non-big-three opponents. That's why he has a decent number of non-grand slam titles to his name, as grand slam titles tend to be hogged by the big-three.

Wawrinka also seems to be in the ascendancy of late. Both of them should be eyeing a few more titles assuming Djokovic doesn't return to form anytime soon, as I don't see any world-class youngsters on the horizon.
    Unless your name is Roger Federer, 90-95% of the titles a player wins are non-slams.

Wawrinka has excelled at slams over the last few years, when he gets hot no current player can contain his firepower and range.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Kind of harsh IMO.

I'm not a Murray, in fact his style of play is anathema to me and I sully don't watch his matches unless he's at the business end of a slam (Federer all the way) but the fact is that he has been unfortunate to be playing in the era of 3 ATGs, an era where for the first time 3 players have won 10 slams and more individually - there was no chance for a great player like Murray to stand up to ATG ability.
    He's a great player for sure, I just wish he challenged the top players a bit more. Don't usually support any specific player much - so I root for him as the underdog when he's up against the likes of Djokovic but he usually just lacks that extra bit of inspiration.

I hope he sticks around for a while and really challenges for the majors next year. It would be great if he can win a couple. But the British media would become unbearable if that were to happen...

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    He's a great player for sure, I just wish he challenged the top players a bit more. Don't usually support any specific player much - so I root for him as the underdog when he's up against the likes of Djokovic but he usually just lacks that extra bit of inspiration.

I hope he sticks around for a while and really challenges for the majors next year. It would be great if he can win a couple. But the British media would become unbearable if that were to happen...
    It wouldn't look right for Murray to have the same no of FOs as Federer, wouldn't mind him getting the Australian and Wimbledon again. He'll be favourite for the AO if Djokovic doesn't win the ***.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Murray gets to number 1. Congrats to him. Also Federer drops out of top 10 for the first time since 2002. Damn injury.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He deserves it. Has worked very hard to be where he is today.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    He deserves it. Has worked very hard to be where he is today.
    Murray has always been a very hard worker.

The way he cruises past most opponents has always indicated his world-class potential as a player, but I find his temperament suspect when he takes on the best players.

Perhaps he suffers from a lack of self-belief, as sometimes, a few errors result in him losing focus (along with his temper), which tends to throw him off his game at vital junctures.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

The way he cruises past most opponents has always indicated his world-class potential as a player, but I find his temperament suspect when he takes on the best players.

Perhaps he suffers from a lack of self-belief, as sometimes, a few errors result in him losing focus (along with his temper), which tends to throw him off his game at vital junctures.
    Not to mention his style of play is naturally very defensive so an attacking player in the zone will always fancy his chances against Murray.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_KING View Post
    Not to mention his style of play is naturally very defensive so an attacking player in the zone will always fancy his chances against Murray.
    Think he does tend to be more aggressive when Lendl is coaching him, incidentally all 3 of his slams have come under the aegis of Lendl.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Think he does tend to be more aggressive when Lendl is coaching him, incidentally all 3 of his slams have come under the aegis of Lendl.
    Tbh this year's Wimbledon has nothing to do with Lendl. Murray got lucky with the draw. Murray does tend to play more aggressive under Lendl but when the going gets tough, he tends to revert back to his natural defensive game.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Tbh this year's Wimbledon has nothing to do with Lendl. Murray got lucky with the draw. Murray does tend to play more aggressive under Lendl but when the going gets tough, he tends to revert back to his natural defensive game.
    I'm a Federer fan and you're a Federer fan, but we all know that he was struggling for form going into Wimbledon, losing twice on grass to inexperienced players. At Wimby, he also struggled before the SFs, the Quarters vs Cilic he had all but lost before he put in a last ditch effort to clinch the match. Murray was in imperious form going into Wimby and he won comfortably, also he would've been the favourite given the to players' form and fitness if Federer had reached the final after another 5 setter.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I'm a Federer fan and you're a Federer fan, but we all know that he was struggling for form going into Wimbledon, losing twice on grass to inexperienced players. At Wimby, he also struggled before the SFs, the Quarters vs Cilic he had all but lost before he put in a last ditch effort to clinch the match. Murray was in imperious form going into Wimby and he won comfortably, also he would've been the favourite given the to players' form and fitness if Federer had reached the final after another 5 setter.
    No, I don't disagree with that. Federer definitely would have lost to Murray in the final. I meant that he was lucky to avoid Djokovic.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No, I don't disagree with that. Federer definitely would have lost to Murray in the final. I meant that he was lucky to avoid Djokovic.
    Maybe Djokovic might have won, but in hindsight we know that he mentally checked out after the French Open win, so in terms of motivation he may not have been there 100% at Wimbledon and that would have had a sure fire impact on his match with Murray.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he is lucky to be playing in an easier era. Roger Federer is no longer the force he once was. Taking nothing away from Andy I would have liked to see him take on a Roger or Pete Sampras in their prime. Tim Henman was unlucky in that regard.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think he is lucky to be playing in an easier era. Roger Federer is no longer the force he once was. Taking nothing away from Andy I would have liked to see him take on a Roger or Pete Sampras in their prime. Tim Henman was unlucky in that regard.
    Murray has been playing Federer since 2006 when he was at his peak and he has also faced Federer in 3 slam finals, not sure how that corroborates to 'playing in an easier era' when it is the same era.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Murray has been playing Federer since 2006 when he was at his peak and he has also faced Federer in 3 slam finals, not sure how that corroborates to 'playing in an easier era' when it is the same era.
    I meant that Murray and Henman did not play in the same era. I am comparing the two best British players in recent times and believe that Henman had tougher opponents in his day then Murray has today. If time could stay still for three hours I'd love to see a Henman v Murray showdown.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I meant that Murray and Henman did not play in the same era. I am comparing the two best British players in recent times and believe that Henman had tougher opponents in his day then Murray has today. If time could stay still for three hours I'd love to see a Henman v Murray showdown.
    Murray is a much better player than Henman even though I prefer Henmen's style more than Murray's style. Give credit where it's due. Murray deserved to be number 1

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Murray is a much better player than Henman even though I prefer Henmen's style more than Murray's style. Give credit where it's due. Murray deserved to be number 1
    Of course I am giving him great credit. Us Scot's are very proud off him!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of course I am giving him great credit. Us Scot's are very proud off him!
    Tbf he did move to Spain I think at age 11yrs old with his mum to be part of a tennis academy which Nadal was also part of 2yrs older - he did idealise Nadal when he joined the academy. He should be very thankful to Spain and thr top coaches

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finalfantasy7 View Post
    Tbf he did move to Spain I think at age 11yrs old with his mum to be part of a tennis academy which Nadal was also part of 2yrs older - he did idealise Nadal when he joined the academy. He should be very thankful to Spain and thr top coaches
    He is still Scottish no matter what. Pakistanis abroad still love Pakistan as much as those living there.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is still Scottish no matter what. Pakistanis abroad still love Pakistan as much as those living there.
    of course, but agree the Spanish made his career, if he stayed in England he would have turned into a poor player - as the English coaches are really behind so many countries. look at heather watson - had to go to america to be coached at a young age along side other English players like laura robson-america/ kyle edmond is actually a south african reject just like kevin peitersin in cricket, so in konta and so is Aljaž Bedene

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Former world number one Andy Murray has withdrawn from the Brisbane International because of issues with the long-term injury to his right hip.

The 30-year-old is down to 16th in the world, having not played since July.

Murray, who had been given a bye to the last 16 and was due to play American Ryan Harrison on Thursday, said: "I don't feel I'm where I need to be just yet to compete at the highest level."

The Australian Open starts in Melbourne on 15 January.

"I'm very disappointed to be withdrawing from the Brisbane International," added three-time Grand Slam champion Murray, who won the event in 2012 and 2013.

"I came here with every intention of making a strong start to the year."

Murray has not played competitively since his defence of the Wimbledon singles title ended in a five-set defeat by Sam Querrey in July, when he was hampered by the hip injury.

He made an unsuccessful attempt to return at the US Open in August, pulling out two days before the start of the tournament.

His only public on-court appearances since then have been in exhibitions against Roger Federer in November, and on Friday against Roberto Bautista Agut in Abu Dhabi.

In a recent interview, Murray said he would be content to be playing at "30 in the world level" given his lengthy injury problems.

"I just want to enjoy playing again. I've really missed it the last six months or so," he said.

"Giving yourself breaks, especially as you start to get older, I think, is very important and something that I'll certainly be looking to do for however long I keep playing."

Three-time Grand Slam winner Murray has yet to win the Australian Open, having lost in five finals from 2010-16.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/42539620

Not good news for him, it's a race against time for him to be fit for the Australian Open

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could be game over for him.

We will see regarding Djokovic as well

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy Murray has confirmed that he will make his comeback from injury at the Fever-Tree Championships at Queen's.

Murray has not played since Wimbledon last year due to a hip injury, with surgery in January further delaying a comeback.

But the 31-year-old was included in the main draw at Queen's Club for the tournament that starts on Monday 18 June, and will face Australian Nick Kyrgios in the first round.

There was speculation that Murray was rushing his rehabilitation to return for the grass-court season, but his mother Judy denied those suggestions last week, saying: " The most important thing is he gets fit again for the long term and any top athlete would tell you they would not come back until they felt they could give 100%, especially in a major like Wimbledon."

Murray joins Novak Djokovic in a stellar field at Queen's, but Juan Martin del Potro and Rafa Nadal have both been forced to withdraw due to injury. Brits James Ward and Edward Corrie have been handed wildcards.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/tennis/a...39/story.shtml

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1851 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Britain's Andy Murray says he plans to retire after this year's Wimbledon but fears next week's Australian Open could be the final tournament of his career.

The three-time Grand Slam winner, who is struggling to recover from hip surgery, was in tears at a news conference in Melbourne on Friday.

"I'm not sure I'm able to play through the pain for another four or five months," said the 31-year-old Scot.

"I want to get to Wimbledon and stop but I'm not certain I can do that."

However, Murray says he still intends to play his Australian Open first-round match against Spanish 22nd seed Roberto Bautista Agut next week.

The former world number one had surgery on his right hip last January and has played 14 matches since returning to the sport last June.

Murray ended his 2018 season in September to spend time working with rehabilitation expert Bill Knowles but still looked short of the required level when he played world number one Novak Djokovic in an open practice match at Melbourne Park on Thursday.

In his news conference - during which he left the room to compose himself before returning - Murray said: "I'm not feeling good, I've been struggling for a long time.

"I've been in a lot of pain for about 20 months now. I've pretty much done everything I could to try and get my hip feeling better and it hasn't helped loads.

"I'm in a better place than I was six months ago but I'm still in a lot of pain. I can still play to a level, but not a level I have played at."

Murray was frank in his assessment of his abilities, conceding he is no longer able to perform to the level at which he won the US Open in 2012 and Wimbledon in 2013 and 2016.

He told the world's media of the agonising pain he is in when playing and says further hip surgery might be needed to ensure he has a better quality of life in retirement.

"The pain is too much really," said Murray, who is also a two-time Olympic champion. "I need to have an end point because I'm playing with no idea of when the pain will stop.

"I'd like to play until Wimbledon - that's where I'd like to stop playing - but I'm not certain I'm able to do that.

"I have the option of another operation which is a little bit more severe - and involves having my hip resurfaced - which would allow me to have a better quality of life and be free of pain.

"That's something I'm seriously considering now. Some athletes have had it and gone back to competing but there's no guarantee of that.

"If I had it, it would be to have a better quality of life."

Murray, who was knighted in the Queen's New Year Honours list at the end of 2016, also ruled out becoming a doubles player in the future, ending the possibility of him teaming up with older brother Jamie in the twilight of his career.

From the moment Andy Murray walked into the news conference at Melbourne Park, you felt a sense that something wasn't quite right.

Asked a simple opening question of how he was feeling, an emotional Murray struggled to get an answer of "not great" out before covering his face with his cap and sobbing underneath.

Murray has often showed his emotion on court but this was different. This was raw emotion in a place where players - and indeed sport stars generally - don't like to show their true feelings in front of the world's media.

A sombre silence filled the room after Murray temporarily left - before he returned, a little more composed, and managed to tell us more.

The toils of the past four months - going to Philadelphia to work with rehab expert Bill Knowles and realising he still can't reach the required physical level which brought him three Grand Slam titles, plus perhaps the harsh reality of being unable to compete with Novak Djokovic in a practice session here on Thursday - have hit Murray.

Despite his fragile state, he still managed to fulfil his media duties and there was even evidence of his dry wit coming out as he was interviewed by television crews after the main news conference.

But a cracking voice was never far away as he discussed the pain in his hip and in his mind as he contemplated his future.

And when his media duties were done, the tears flowed again between him and coach Jamie Delgado as they shared an embrace in a media centre corridor.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46833018

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1851 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Sad.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This has been coming for years.

He begun to peak with the US Open win, followed by his first Wimbledon title which was his absolute apex. He was at that particular moment playing tennis that was out of this world, to the point where even Djokovic could not compete with him in the final.

He also later picked up another Wimbledon but frankly this was amongst his easier ever draws in a Slam, and in home conditions especially he should have been expected to win that one - which he comfortably did.

But ever since then his injury has dogged him to the point where he was never going to win another Slam, or even reliably get to the semis, so it’s a difficult decision but the right one.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    No need to cry on national TV that is just embarrassing, you're a grown man I thought he had cancer or something going by the pictures, I thought Scottish people were meant to be tough, I guess not....
    Last edited by shaz619; 12th January 2019 at 13:49.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be sad to see him go.....but as they say you only get one body.

He like others can others can only play who is infront of him so an easy or hard draw isn't in his hands. If he played in an era without these 3 I think his tally of GS would have been higher.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1851 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Melbourne - Roger Federer said Sunday he was shocked that tennis was to lose "legend" Andy Murray this year and the Scot should be "incredibly proud" of all he had achieved.

Murray on Friday tearfully declared that his chronic hip injury had not been eased by surgery a year ago.

He then emotionally revealed that he hoped to end his storied career at Wimbledon, but admitted the Australian Open may be his last event because the constant pain was so bad.

"I was disappointed and sad, a little bit shocked, to know now that we're going to lose him at some point," Federer told reporters on the eve of the year's first Grand Slam.

"But we're going to lose everybody at some point. It's just now that it's definite," he added, acknowledging that the era of the "Big Four" -- himself, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Murray was drawing inexorably to a close.

"Of course, it hits us top guys hard because we know Andy very well. We like him. He doesn't have many enemies, to be quite honest," the world number three said of the three-time Grand Slam champion and double Olympic gold medal winner.

"He's a good guy, Hall of Famer, legend. He won everything he wanted to win. Anybody would substitute their career with his. He's a great guy."

Murray has won Wimbledon twice and Federer hoped the Scot could keep playing long enough to be able to say goodbye on the famous grass courts where the Swiss maestro has won a record eight titles.

"Of course, I hope that he can play a good Australian Open and he can keep playing beyond that, really finish the way he wants to at Wimbledon. That's what I hope for him," said 20-time Grand Slam champion Federer, who begins his Australian Open title defence Monday against Denis Istomin.

"It's a tough one, but one down the road he can look back on and be incredibly proud of everything he has achieved."

Murray was the first British man to win Wimbledon in 77 years and will be remembered for battling his way to world number one in 2016 during a golden era for men's tennis alongside Federer, Djokovic and Nadal.

Murray faces a first-round clash Monday against in-form Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut, seeded 22, who beat Djokovic on his was to winning the Qatar Open earlier this month.

https://m.sport24.co.za/Tennis/Austr...derer-20190113

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    No need to cry on national TV that is just embarrassing, you're a grown man I thought he had cancer or something going by the pictures, I thought Scottish people were meant to be tough, I guess not....
    Wow. You're a sensitive one aren't you

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Wow. You're a sensitive one aren't you
    That is girl talk what you going to do, cry as well there there baby hadi

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is girl talk what you going to do, cry as well there there baby hadi
    He's achieved more than either of us will achieve in our lives, we hardly have the right to criticize him for crying

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I think if his injury is playing up, he should just retire now, don't know why he's hanging around for Wimbledon if he's in as much pain as he says he is. He's achieved more than any other modern British player, should just be thankful and bow out with his head held high.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    He's achieved more than either of us will achieve in our lives, we hardly have the right to criticize him for crying
    That's based on your interpretation of accomplishments during a life time, you're setting the bar pretty low for yourself if this guy who likes to play with balls is the be and end all. And look he's a grown man, did well and made his money and what not, what's the need to cry like a coward on TV is he dying ? but it must be a Scottish thing I don't know
    Last edited by shaz619; 13th January 2019 at 17:22.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's based on your interpretation of accomplishments during a life time, you're setting the bar pretty low for yourself if this guy who likes to play with balls is the be and end all. And look he's a grown man, did well and made his money and what not, what's the need to cry like a coward on TV is he dying ? but it must be a Scottish thing I don't know
    One of the greatest tennis player of all times and extremely rich, hardly setting the bar low. Lots of players cry in situations like this, for example walking off the field for the last time, if you suffer an injury which you know is going to be long term. I don't find it abnormal. If you don't think he should cry, that's your opinion but ridiculing someone for crying is just out of order.

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Andy Murray loses possible farewell match at Australian Open to Roberto Bautista Agut

Andy Murray produced a superb fightback in what might have been his final match but eventually lost in five sets to Roberto Bautista Agut in the Australian Open first round.

The Briton, who is hoping to play at Wimbledon, battled brilliantly before losing 6-4 6-4 6-7 (5-7) 6-7 (4-7) 6-2.

Murray, 31, struggled early on but had the Melbourne Arena crowd roaring as he took the third and fourth sets.

"If this was my last match, it was an amazing way to end," he said.

"I gave everything I had - it wasn't enough tonight."

Murray, a three-time Grand Slam champion, said on Friday he would retire this year because of a chronic hip problem.

However, he did suggest in his on-court interview that there was still a chance he could return to Melbourne.

"Maybe I'll see you again. I'll do everything possible to try," said an emotional Murray after an epic match which lasted four hours and nine minutes.

"If I want to go again, I'll need to have a big operation, which there's no guarantee I'll be able to come back from anyway, but I'll give it my best shot."

Murray almost produces incredible comeback

Following Friday's news conference at Melbourne Park when Murray broke down in tears, many expected the Scot would struggle against a player he had beaten in their three previous meetings.

There were signs in the opening few games that the two-time Wimbledon champion could provide a tough contest. Having initially positioned himself nearer the back of the court, Murray moved further forward by the eighth game and earned a break point, which he could not convert.

Spaniard Bautista Agut went on to break his opponent in the next game before taking the set.

Watched on by brother Jamie and mother Judy, Murray's grimaces were growing in number. He was broken again in the fifth game of the second set as Bautista Agut produced a smash winner, and then served out the set for a 2-0 lead. The 22nd seed seemed on course for a routine victory.

Murray, typically, had other ideas.

Bautista Agut's second wind staves off adrenaline-fuelled Murray

Those inside the arena must have believed they were about to witness one of Britain's greatest sportspeople play his final set of tennis at this tournament and, perhaps, his career.

After the Spaniard broke Murray to 15 in the third game of the third set, it seemed the inevitable was imminent.

But the Briton's career has been built on his doggedness, durability and refusal to give in. To use an analogy from one of his favourite sports, Murray beat the count and punched back by breaking in the next game with a superb backhand down the line.

Another stunning shot helped him save break point in the eighth game and he was close to taking the set in the ninth only to strike a forehand into the net.

But the groans from many of the 10,000 spectators soon turned into euphoric cheers as Murray took the third set on a tie-break. The Scot shrieked with delight and clenched his fist in a manner we have grown accustomed to since he turned professional in 2005.

Bautista Agut was now playing against a rejuvenated Murray and a partisan crowd. Running on adrenaline, the Scot also took the fourth set on a tie-break.

Was Murray about to deliver one of his greatest and most unexpected comebacks?

He was on top again during Bautista Agut's first service game of the decider, leading 0-30. But the Spaniard managed to get a second wind in the nick of time to hold before he broke Murray twice en route to sealing victory.

It remains to be seen if his 854th professional match was his last.

Murray's great rivals pay tribute

During his on-court interview, Murray was shown a video montage of contemporaries, including Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, paying tribute to his career.

"I've been very fortunate to compete in an era with some of the guys that have been around like Rafa, Roger and Novak.

"We've had incredible battles and great matches. Tennis fans will remember us when we stop playing.

"To have respect of my peers is most important thing. It's very nice they took time to do this."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46860925

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1851 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Andy Murray says he is "pain free" after hip surgery but that his chances of playing singles at Wimbledon this year are "less than 50%".

Murray had hip resurfacing surgery in January, which he said meant it was possible he would not be able to play professionally again.

But the three-time Grand Slam champion said it was the only option if he wanted to return to competitive action.

"The rehab is slow but going well," the 31-year-old Briton said.

"I want to continue playing, I said that in Australia. The issue is I don't know whether it's possible."

In an interview with BBC sports editor Dan Roan at Queen's Club, the former world number one added: "The operation went well. I'm feeling good and walking around pain free - which hasn't been the case for pretty much 18 months, two years.

"The reason for having the surgery was to improve all the day-to-day things and my quality of life.

"I wasn't enjoying tennis, I wasn't enjoying going out for walks and doing basic things - it was painful tying my laces. I wanted to get rid of that."

"I have to wait and see. I'm not allowed to start doing any high-impact movement for the first four months after the surgery and it is only then when I can see if I can compete at any level," he said.

"Whether that is competing in the top 10 in the world, that is probably unlikely, but could I get to top 50, top 100 level? That may be possible.

"I don't feel any pressure to come back and play. I don't feel like I have to get back to playing Wimbledon or playing tennis again.

"I just want the hip to be as good as it can be and if it allows me to play, that's brilliant.

"If not, I'm not in pain anymore and I'm happy with that."

Murray broke down in tears at the Australian Open in January, saying in his pre-tournament news conference that he planned to retire after this year's Wimbledon because of the pain in his hip.

However, he added that the first Grand Slam of 2019 could prove to be the last tournament of his career.

After a gutsy first-round five-set defeat by Spain's Roberto Bautista Agut, Murray appeared to soften his stance by telling the Melbourne crowd he hoped to see them again next year.

I have no regrets about deciding to have the operation. Even if I was told I couldn't hit a tennis ball again, I would have had the operation

Murray had the operation - which keeps more of the damaged bone than a hip replacement, smoothing the ball down and covering it with a metal cap - in London on 28 January.

American doubles player Bob Bryan had the same surgery last year and was back playing again, alongside twin brother Mike, five months later.

No tennis player has competed in singles after having the operation.

"To play singles at Wimbledon I'd say it would be less than 50% chance, doubles maybe possibly," Murray added.

"Bob Bryan had the same operation and was competing after five and a half months. But there is a vast difference between singles and doubles, in terms of the physicality and the loads you put through the body.

"I think it is possible to return to singles, but I don't want to say it is highly likely because it hasn't been done before. I can't look at another tennis player and say that guy has done it.

"The surgeons said I can try but couldn't give me any guarantees.

"The thing that gives me hope is that in Australia and in the past 18 months, my hip was in a really bad way and I was still able to compete and win matches against very good players."

"If my hip is better now and with less pain there is a chance I could do it again."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/47466258