Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Donald was quicker, but from 1998-2002 many players around the world thought that Polly had learned to be the first bowler in history to learn to control seaming it in and out with the same action. Plus he could bat.

Very hard to separate the pair of them.
    From a Warwickshire perspective, we'd be spoilt for choice deciding who to pick as a fast bowler between Steyn, Pollock and Donald if it came to it in our best ever XI ! all have represented the Brummie Bears honourably @Big Mac

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    From a Warwickshire perspective, we'd be spoilt for choice deciding who to pick as a fast bowler between Steyn, Pollock and Donald if it came to it in our best ever XI ! all have represented the Brummie Bears honourably @Big Mac
    And obviously we'd have the late, great Bob Woolmer in charge, who had plenty of experience coaching Donald and Pollock at both county and international level.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 of my favourite players along with lance klusner all 3 very under rated

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ipl_fan View Post
    Donald and Pollock are respected. They are not celebrated. The reason is that they don't come from a team which is charishmatic like India or England or Australia. Your team has to be charishmatic and should have mad following for a player to be celebrated. Otherwise they end up being respected and looked up to when the time comes.
    Charisma is mostly derived by fast bowlers.Replace india with Pakistan.They have Flair and unique brand of cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I agree with your charisma comments except for the word "India".

The reality is, a team's charisma is derived exclusively from electrifying fast bowling. That's why English fans love Pakistan at their best, and it's why most non-Indian cricket fans consider India and Sri Lanka boring and unattractive even when their batsmen are superb and winning matches.

And it's why even an Englishman like me is desperately hoping that in The Ashes the Aussies field an attack of:

Starc
    Hazlewood
    Cummins
    Pattinson

I literally could not care less if Finch, Warner, Smith and Maxwell score 460-2 in an ODI.

But get those four pacemen together in a Test match, even against my own team, and I'll be ecstatic.
    hazlewood is not electrifying but AUS best fast bowler

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It saddens me that Allan Donald didn't have an opportunity to play international cricket until he was 25. If he had the opportunity to polish his skills even further in international cricket when he was younger, just like the other great fast bowlers of that era, I believe he would have been even greater by the time he was 25. In any case, he was fearsome and an absolute joy to watch. Definitely on par with Waqar for me.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Donald is better than Pollock.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Waqar and Donald along with Steyn are the three best attacking bowlers i have seen in my lifetime

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    true. But that's how it goes. you have to win against the best to be considered the best, especially if you are looking to be rated.
    Same goes for Wasim and Waqar: would go missing against Australia and South Africa.
    if one has to win against the best to be considered the best then no australian of that era could have been considered the best.

tautology tends to bite itself in the rear.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by New Yorker View Post

tautology tends to bite itself in the rear.
    No, this just sounds like extremism