User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going for junior state selection.. any tips?

I am Pakistani, 14, living in Canberra. I am a left-handed opening batsman and had an extremely good club season last year (Highest run scorer at U15 level throughout ACT, plus Best Batsman award).

Later this month, trials for the ACT state team are being held, and I want to try out. However I am extremely nervous because there will be very good 14-15 year old players there. I feel like because of nerves I won't be able to perform well in front of the selectors.

The national U15 championships will be help in March 2017, Sunshine Coast. 7 teams will be playing: ACT u15, Victoria u15, NSW u15, Western Australia u15, Tasmania u15, South Australia u15 and Northern Territory u15. It is a round robin competition, and then semi-finals and finals. Format is 50 overs.

This is a huge opportunity for me to get into higher level cricket and get a chance to make my way into the circuit. I really don't want to blow it.

Any tips on how I can deal with that? I have never played cricket apart for my club, and there will be guys there who have grown up from the age of 9 or 10 playing state cricket year after year, so the competition for the top 11 will be tough. Thank you!

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do your best, that's all one could say.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2384 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Think of everyone else around you as inferior beings.

You're the man.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    SMCHS, Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awahid9702 View Post
    I am Pakistani, 14, living in Canberra. I am a left-handed opening batsman and had an extremely good club season last year (Highest run scorer at U15 level throughout ACT, plus Best Batsman award).

Later this month, trials for the ACT state team are being held, and I want to try out. However I am extremely nervous because there will be very good 14-15 year old players there. I feel like because of nerves I won't be able to perform well in front of the selectors.

The national U15 championships will be help in March 2017, Sunshine Coast. 7 teams will be playing: ACT u15, Victoria u15, NSW u15, Western Australia u15, Tasmania u15, South Australia u15 and Northern Territory u15. It is a round robin competition, and then semi-finals and finals. Format is 50 overs.

This is a huge opportunity for me to get into higher level cricket and get a chance to make my way into the circuit. I really don't want to blow it.

Any tips on how I can deal with that? I have never played cricket apart for my club, and there will be guys there who have grown up from the age of 9 or 10 playing state cricket year after year, so the competition for the top 11 will be tough. Thank you!
    Play your natural game

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Convict any tips for the lad?

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck bro. Go get it

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just enjoy the game.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What club in Canberra are you in

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

@awahid9702 great on you for for trying out. That is the first step.

One thing from my experience in junior cricket at your age is that apparent from the clear obvious future superstars like Ponting (and you'd have heard of a guy like Ponting if he was in your age group and in yoru area) - the kids playing representative cricket at 11/12/13/14/15 etc aren't actually any better than the best players in club cricket. They're just the kids who tried out.

So you don't have to feel over awed.

Chances are that those state players are the same players you've been playing against in club cricket anyway.

Fortunately for you, you had that great season last year which 1. Means you are good enough and 2. Means the selectors already know who you are.

Just remember that the players playing are the same guys you have already played against and that the selectors want to see you do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    848 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Good job. We're all with you.

Just enjoy it and don't try to do or think too much on the day of the tryouts. It's like studying for an exam, they say not to study 30 mins before one as it just makes you more anxious. Just trust your ability and work you've put in so far and put on a display.
    Last edited by Suleiman; 8th November 2016 at 08:13.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just go out there and have fun, you started playing because it was fun and enjoyable and should be no different for your trials.

Do your best, have fun, it's in gods hands and plus your only 14 so don't worry to much.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    What club in Canberra are you in
    North Canberra Gungahlin. Currently playing U15 Division 1 this season.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    @awahid9702

Just remember that the players playing are the same guys you have already played against and that the selectors want to see you do well.
    That is true, I'm pretty sure most players trying out play for clubs/private schools I've already played against this year, so I'll have a basic understanding of the bowlers. Thanks for that, I needed to calm myself down cos I was hyping it way too much lol.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is true, I'm pretty sure most players trying out play for clubs/private schools I've already played against this year, so I'll have a basic understanding of the bowlers. Thanks for that, I needed to calm myself down cos I was hyping it way too much lol.
    How did it go?