Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The acne & skin care thread

I was searching around and I could find a proper thread related to acne and since we all suffer from it I thought why not make one.

I have had acne for the better part of my life, it started when I was 12 and from the very first day it bothered me and it still does although since the past 1 year it has decreased quite a bit.

Last year after multiple tries the dermatologist finally convinced me to go on a 50 week accutane treatment although the dosages very very low, I used to take 10mg accutane every other day, I would have to take 60mg daily I was doing the normal course. The accutane course finally did it for me and after so many years Im almost acne free. I even documented the whole journey from the first week to the last and seeing the result really warms my heart. I'll share the pictures of the first and the last week here sometime.

Accutane did play a part in clearing me up but a lot had to do with the slight lifestyle changes I made. The following two were by far the most Important

• Change your pillow cover every 2 days using each side only once
    • NEVER TOUCH YOUR FACE. I was told this from the very first day but soemone who has had acne would understand that keeping your hands away is very very hard.
    Last edited by gazza619; 7th January 2019 at 02:25.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had acne throughout my teens and twenties, it just disappeared when I turned 29-30.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1001 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Picking it never helps.

There are some common myths about acne - there's no real evidence its caused by diet, lack of exercise or hygiene.

Be careful about using stuff like Benzoyl Peroxide - it reddens and deadens the skin. If you are to use it - pick the lowest strength.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had it in the teens but it stopped somewhere during my high school days. You usually just grow out of it, but the age you grow out of depends on the person.

Nowadays I'll only get a random pimple, tiny or swollen, due to shaving or on my forehead due to perspiration.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was terrible for me whilst growing up. Wasted 100's on certain treatments that did not help. Don't know how old the poster is but you'll eventually out grow it. For now drink plenty off water and avoid greasy food. Could be that the medication available in pharmacies today is better then what they had when I had it.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Picking it never helps.

There are some common myths about acne - there's no real evidence its caused by diet, lack of exercise or hygiene.

Be careful about using stuff like Benzoyl Peroxide - it reddens and deadens the skin. If you are to use it - pick the lowest strength.
    I've used Benzoyl Peroxide. It itched like crazy, so I left it.

I have the kind of acne which leaves dark spots and doesn't redden my skin. The people with acne who I've seen literally have deep red-coloured scars but I don't think any of my pimples have ever left a deep scar.

Anyways, I'd recommend you to drink lots of water and wash your face regularly if you have oily skin(like I do).

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    651 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoloriousPotato View Post
    NEVER TOUCH YOUR FACE. I was told this from the very first day but soemone who has had acne would understand that keeping your hands away is very very hard.
    I had chronic acne, before I started following this advice. I don't even wash my face anymore, lest I have to touch it. I get other people to do it for me.

Just the other day, I asked an attractive auntie at a bar if she would do the honors. She touched my face, just not in the manner I had asked for.

She also said that was the lamest pickup line she had ever heard. Strange.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Anybody going through the acne phase?

I used to suffer from acne during my teenage years. This does lower down your confidence immensely.

I feel if I go back in time I would make conscious effort to keep my skin clean. Using more cold water to wash as hot water gives you dry skin. Keep the skin moisturised and use a lot of sun protection. And of course eat more vegetables (but not typical oily vegetable curries as that defeats the purpose).

Anybody has an acne story they like to share?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acne can be reduced by good eating habits.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Got acne on my back, head and chest for around 5 years. Currently on isotretinoin 20mg.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    Got acne on my back, head and chest for around 5 years. Currently on isotretinoin 20mg.
    Arent capsules bad for you? I think a gel would be less risky and more effective.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    Arent capsules bad for you? I think a gel would be less risky and more effective.
    Yeah quite a lot of side effects, was reluctant to taking them. I was previously on lymecycline 408mg capsules for 3 years, which had no effect on the back but worked well for the head.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    I had chronic acne, before I started following this advice. I don't even wash my face anymore, lest I have to touch it. I get other people to do it for me.

Just the other day, I asked an attractive auntie at a bar if she would do the honors. She touched my face, just not in the manner I had asked for.

She also said that was the lamest pickup line she had ever heard. Strange.
    What lol

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Got it on face during 8th grade and lasted till end of 10th grade..took some himalayan treatment(tonic,cream,trifala) now I have no proof that was the reason it went away or coz my age..but i still get it from time to time behind my shoulder..esp when i eat something which can be warm to stomach...

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as a teenager (late teenage) i had severe facial acne, and it was very bothersome, i tried many over the counter products, with nothing to show for.... i used to watch proactive commercials in those days as it had recently come along into the market, and i am very skeptical of such ads/products, but then it was a decision i made that either have a face with acne or give this darn product a chance too... at first it didnt seem to work so i kinda gave up on it, but i cant recall if i called them back for some reason or they called me due to a billing reason and upon inquiry of how the experience has been for me i told them of my displeasure, then i was told on how i need to religiously apply the product and only then i will see results... they were generous enough to send me another package free of charge, and i started applying, 40 days in there was a noticable difference, and after about 70 odd days it was all gone, i kept applying till i ran out the product and never had issues with acne again. I was glad to have had given it a chance, and would recommend ppl to try it. I know i probably sound like a testimonial freak right out of one of those infomercials, but hey, if u the reader are suffering from acne, give it a fair shot you will be amazed. best of luck.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got lots of spots about 1-2 months ago, I concluded that it wasn't from changing the bedsheets once while at Uni. Disgusting I know but that's uni life, I will make more effort to change it when I go back next week

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    934 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    shower with cold water, it has other benefits too.

downside: it's cold.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also get it continuously time to time. Best solution I have found is by applying pest of milk & thorns of tree called "bombacaceae" regularly both pimples and it's marks can be removed.
    Other than that general solution is keep washing your face with cold water frequently.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    shower with cold water, it has other benefits too.

downside: it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by introvert View Post
    I also get it continuously time to time. Best solution I have found is by applying pest of milk & thorns of tree called "bombacaceae" regularly both pimples and it's marks can be removed.
    Other than that general solution is keep washing your face with cold water frequently.
    Agree on cold water. It is not easy though.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    651 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    What lol
    What?

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My tip

Never use soap or even face wash. Wash your face with warm water and then cold water.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    My tip

Never use soap or even face wash. Wash your face with warm water and then cold water.
    Interesting. Does that wash and clean properly? What if one has an oily skin?

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    Interesting. Does that wash and clean properly? What if one has an oily skin?
    Not sure about oily skin, I guess you will need more than water. I've only ever used this method and never really had any dry skin or spots on my face. Feels like it keeps you looking younger too

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Not sure about oily skin, I guess you will need more than water. I've only ever used this method and never really had any dry skin or spots on my face. Feels like it keeps you looking younger too
    Lol. Good for you. I feel that the face wash with all the chemicals in it is bad and gives dry skin.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut out all kind of sugar from your diet for few months.

Facial acne during puberty is something that you can't avoid but it can help with back acne after you have gone through puberty.

I have psoriasis, I was advice to get on medication but most psoriasis medication lower immune system and i was not comfortable with it.

I went on total avoidance of sugar (from fruits to process sugar) and went on on complete green vegetable and protein diet ( fish and chicken), add probiotics and Vit D( vit d if you live where you do not get enough sun light) for 3 months, results were amazing, I am 90% psoriasis free. I will have to do another round.

I know mechanism of psoriasis and acne are different but the diet can significantly help with most of the skin conditions.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good stuff available on ebay for acne sufferers.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Some good stuff available on ebay for acne sufferers.
    Like what

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benzyl peroxide works if you have a very small amount of acne.

"Peace is only made with the powerful"

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finalfantasy7 View Post
    Like what
    Search the site.