Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi rajioon.

I am travelling with PIA in February next year IA, dangerous times.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Devastating news, thoughts go out to those who have lost their loved ones. RIP.

Not only do PIA make use of ancient aircraft, they do not maintain them either so every now and then such unfortunate disasters are predictable; I blame the dreaded airline.
    Mostly it's due to good pilots and the prayers things have gone well, otherwise not much to talk about PIA. Just look where Emirates are now and where PIA is.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tera Gawaandi View Post
    You forgot Little Master Mohammad Hanif.
    and Muhammad Ali

manyl legends are gone...

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilahi Rajion
    "We surely belong to Allah and to Him we shall return."

Some people are celebrating the death of JJ on social media

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    Mostly it's due to good pilots and the prayers things have gone well, otherwise not much to talk about PIA. Just look where Emirates are now and where PIA is.
    Definitely, Pakistan have the best and most courageous pilots in the world across commercial and military aircraft.

Aircraft performance depends on air density, which effects lift, engine power and propeller efficiency. And as density increases aircraft performance decreases, at low altitudes near the mountains the air density is really high and the air flow is a bit more turbulent. What am guessing is that the pilot had studied the high altitude characteristics of the plane and realised that he could only do so much in terms of pushing the aircraft performance limits because under certain density altitude conditions you need to be careful with take off and landing distances, that could be one of the reasons for the crash besides the general poor maintenance.

I'd never want to use PIA, how often to Emirates and BA from the UK go directly to Pakistan? I've not been in a while and family who do always be like we sought of had no choice to use PIA and it was more convenient.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

PK-661 crashes enroute to Islamabad, no survivors - Junaid Jamshed amongst passengers

إِنَّا لِلّهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعون
    ^Verily, unto Allah do we belong and, verily, unto Him we shall return^

What a devastating news this has been! I can´t believe....

A man with two different avatars and two different lives, loved and admired in both. First as a singer and then as a pious and restraint man.

I so well remember his hits from my childhood days. I used to love his song "Na tu aayegi na hee chayn aayega" back in those days, and who won´t love his "Dil dil Pakistan"? We recorded his last stage performance on a video cassette, which was shown on ARY Digital in 2003 or so I think. My brother too was a fan of his singing.

Prayers for him, his wife and the rest of the passengers who´ve lost their lives, and to those who´ve lost their beloved ones in this plane crash. What a tragedy!
    Last edited by DHONI183; 7th December 2016 at 16:51.

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    National airline reflects the Countries economy, Foreigners travelling into respected country, and good governance.

Even though PIA helped establishing Emirate, We can't compare both airline with each other. Better comparison would be with Ethiopian Airline.

'Mr. Silver compared near misses for each airline over the two periods, 1985-1999 and 2000-2014. And guess which airline stood out to be consistently high risk prone over the two periods: Pakistan International Airlines.

“There are also a few major outliers in the chart: two are Pakistan International Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines, which have had a persistently high rate of incidents,” wrote Mr. Silver.

Source: FiveThirtyEight.com"

http://www.dawn.com/news/1217643/pak...t-any-altitude

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Inna Lillahi wa Inna ilaihi Rajioon.

Devastating news. PIA Is a corrupt airline with low quality planes with low maintenance and service.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is an extremely sad news. If news about aircraft not ready to fly and still going in air is true then some folks need to go behind bars. Otherwise , repeat of such things can happen.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shocking news. The news of a plane crash is always very sad to hear as the chances for finding the survivors are virtually zero. But it is even more tragic when you know some on board.

Junaid was well known in the whole country across every segment of society. As a singer he was an icon and as an evangelist he was an example for many. Also operated a popular garments outlet across country. He also used to anchor religious proegrams during Ramzan.
    Thus, he was a household name in Pakistan because of his work. He was a familiar name among youth and old, in religious and secular circles. And in showbiz he was a legend and an icon.
    It feels as some one from close relatives has departed.

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    horrific news. RIP.

Wonder if anyone ever will be held accountable at PIA.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sad news

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At this time I am remembering advice of my uncle who works in Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) in Karachi, Pakistan. Last time when I went to Pakistan via PIA (only direct flight to Pakistan from Toronto) and met him, he asked which airline I took. When I told him PIA then he was not happy and told me dont take PIA again. He said there is lot of corruption and air planes are wrongly certified fitted when they are not because of corruption. Pakistan has to be one of the worst corrupted country of the world

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am in shock. Complete disbelief; Life and death is so unpredictable.

May Allah give every passenger and staff the highest rankings of jannah, ameen.

JJ is a huge loss to Pakistan; a role model for ones who want to become better Muslims.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember EU or was it UK that banned PIA from flying due to unmaintained aircrafts.

Its shocking how in Pakistan they can put your life at risk and absolutely dont value a human life. Never trust anything in Pakistan, especially whats run by the gov. Railways, aeroplanes, bridges or any civil service, unless its run by the army, which is the only capable institution left in the country.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroDollars View Post
    I remember EU or was it UK that banned PIA from flying due to unmaintained aircrafts.

Its shocking how in Pakistan they can put your life at risk and absolutely dont value a human life. Never trust anything in Pakistan, especially whats run by the gov. Railways, aeroplanes, bridges or any civil service, unless its run by the army, which is the only capable institution left in the country.
    Germany.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroDollars View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hamzakhalid View Post
    Germany.
    Entire EU banned PIA.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't believe it. RIP JJ, Dil Dil Pakistan will forever have an eerie feel to it from now on.

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    RIP. Very sad and tragic news, my sympathies go out to all those affected.

I hope there's a thorough investigation into safety procedures.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Lahore Lahore Aay
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGuru View Post
    and Muhammad Ali

manyl legends are gone...
    Intizar hussain

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Inna lillah e Wa inna eleh e rajeoon.

May Allah (swt) give sabar to all their families and loved ones.

I together with all the Pakistanis am feeling very very sad today it's like we have personally lost a family member.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by desirous of desire View Post
    Intizar hussain
    Fatima Surayya Bajia and Fidel Castro

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'oon, very shocked. What made it worse is that this was avoidable and that the goons at PIA won't even be held accountable. Going by the reports, whoever approved the flight despite being told the aircraft wasn't ready should take a long, hard look in the mirror. When so many people depend on your decision making, you can't be this reckless.

Was a legend.

Also Alhamdullilah Saeed Anwar didn't board that flight, it's crazy how life turns out for you sometimes for better or worse..

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Pakistan International Airlines Passenger Manifest
    Flight/Date – PK 0661 07DEC16

FROM CHITRAL─PAKISTAN ISLAMABAD─PAKISTAN

1. Abid Qaiser
    2. Ahsan SS
    3. Ahtiram ul Haq
    4. Aisha
    5. Akbar Ali
    6. Akhtar Mehmood
    7. Amir Shoukat
    8. Amna Ahmed
    9. Maahrukh Ahmed
    10. Asim Waqas
    11. Ateeq Muhammad
    12. Farah Naz
    13. Farhat Aziz
    14. Gohar Ali
    15. Gul Norani
    16. Haji Nawaz
    17. Han Qiang
    18. Harald Kessler
    19. Hassan Ali
    20. Herwig Eichelbenger
    21. Junaid Nahya
    22. Khan Junaid Jamshed
    23. Mehmood Atud
    24. Mirza Gul
    25. Farhan Ali
    26. Muhammad Ali Khan
    27. Muhammad Khalid Masood
    28. Muhammad Khan
    29. Muhammad Khawar
    30. Muhammad Nouman Shafique
    31. Muhammad Takbeer Khan
    32. Nigar Uddin
    33. Osama Ahmed Warraich
    34. Rani Mehreen
    35. Salman Zainulabidin
    36. Sami SA
    37. Samina Gul
    38. Shamshad Begum
    39. Taiba Aziz
    40. Taimoor Arshid
    41. Umara Khan
    42. Zahida Perveen

Total Passengers

Male – 31 Female ─ 9 Infants ─ 2
    Were there also foreigners in the crash aswell?

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'oon, very shocked. What made it worse is that this was avoidable and that the goons at PIA won't even be held accountable. Going by the reports, whoever approved the flight despite being told the aircraft wasn't ready should take a long, hard look in the mirror. When so many people depend on your decision making, you can't be this reckless.

Was a legend.

Also Alhamdullilah Saeed Anwar didn't board that flight, it's crazy how life turns out for you sometimes for better or worse..
    Here's the thing, nothing will stem from this crash (borderline murder) unfortunately and those responsible will not be held accountable. PIA owns a fleet of ancient aircraft which are rarely maintained, their staff are paid peanuts and the pilots can't even get a damn sandwich! when you add up to the consequences of this incident they'd barely get hit in the pocket. Their business methodology revolves around exploitation and big returns for cheap investments; regardless of how much people hate PIA nothing beats convenience so unless the airline is boycotted completely they will continue to operate in dastardly fashion.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post

Was a legend.

Don't think so, if foreigners are also amongest the death then im pretty sure their embassies would get a full proper investigation done

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1063 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Were there also foreigners in the crash aswell?
    Yes 1 Chinese national and 2 Austrians..

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I saw a tweet today that showed me me there is still hope for this country. Someone from Abbottabad tweeted anyone who is coming to Abbottabad for dead bodies of their beloved ones can contact me (his number) My house my full help will be with u #PK661

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The first officer was apparently also a football player aswell. Ahmed Mansoor Janjua was the name

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Very sad to hear this, plane crashes are always the worst...

Will be odd in Ramzan, who's naat's and good talk are we gonna listen too, there are obviously others but he won't be there

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tragic. RIP to all the victims.

I assume due to the rough terrain the pilot was unable to make some sort of emergency landing where some may have survived.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Riyadh, KSA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all the people bashing PIA for using "ancient" aircraft, I would like to add to their knowledge that this aircraft was launched in 2007 and PIA started operating it the very same year.

Yes there might be some incompetent people in PIA but that does not mean that all of PIA is substandard. PIA pilots are some of the best in the business.

We shouldn't forget that Emirates was initially setup by PIA's help and Emirates staff was trained by PIA.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    826 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Inna Lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un. Very sad news this.

You gotta work until your idols become your rivals.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Beyond sad.

Devastating.

Completely shocked.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadi Rizvi View Post
    For all the people bashing PIA for using "ancient" aircraft, I would like to add to their knowledge that this aircraft was launched in 2007 and PIA started operating it the very same year.

Yes there might be some incompetent people in PIA but that does not mean that all of PIA is substandard. PIA pilots are some of the best in the business.

We shouldn't forget that Emirates was initially setup by PIA's help and Emirates staff was trained by PIA.
    A lot has happened since then.

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Look at Emirates now and then look at PIA. Emirates is one of the best airlines now while PIA is one of the worst. Please stop living in the 1980s.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upsetting news indeed. A sad way to leave this world but it's the way Allah had written for it to be. I was neither a supporter nor critic of JJ's. We all know how poor PIA safety standards are.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make no mistake. This completely avoidable loss of lives was due to PIA's and CAA's gross negligence. It is a tragedy that neither airlines nor the regulatory authorities will be held accountable.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is almost 2017.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a year it's been full of shockers and tragedies. May he rest in peace, his songs will always remind me of the good times in Pakistan and my childhood.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sad news. PIA is still the safest airline in Pakistan if you compare it with other domestic airlines.

Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rip

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    RIP ,this is tragic.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP, terrible news, hope god gives strength and courage to the affected families.

"Everything else seems so superfluous." ~ Albert Einstein on the Bhagavad-Gita

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

There were MANY issues with the ATR even before PIA bought it. And what made it worse was that PIA started repairing the plane parts itself even after being sent pleadings from the European company (where the ATR's propellers and other equipment and parts came from) that repairs need proper certification and a level of competence. The same plane has also reportedly had issues since 2011, issues which PIA insisted on repairing itself to save money and some of the equipment was so shoddy they finished the job with $40 worth of crap).

People hence are absolutely right to bash PIA.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    RIP my prayers goes out to the all the families, may god give them strength in this time..

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An air hostess in the plane had little 6month old baby. Devastating stuff. PIA and Authorities should be barred and those in charge should be put behind bars.

It's even hard to describe what those who have lost their loved ones must be going through.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1063 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's never just black and white in an aircraft accident.

There are many scenarios that go wrong before an airplane is downed. Those who have studied in this field would know that the engine of the airplane does not generate lift, the engine provides forward thrust, it is the shape and geometry of the airplane wings that generates lift. However there is a direct relation between thrust and lift. Next time you board a flight see how the plane actually speeds up when coming in to land, however the pilot is altering the shape of the wing by deploying spoilers that reduce the lift and allow the plane to descend.

That being said when one engine blows this puts extra strain on the remaining engine, since now it has to produce twice the amount of forward thrust and has to carry the dead weight of the other engine. This causes the plane to veer towards the side of the dead engine. However, there are measures to counter this too, the pilot can bank the side of the functioning engine and this will cause the plane to have level flight.

As has been mentioned on this thread that the plane was in a collision course with the mountain a case of stall might have crept in as the pilot tried to ascend to avoid the mountain. Stall is when the lift generated by the wings instantaneously goes to zero thus causing the flying object to drop like a rock. Stall occurs when the angle of attack of the plane surpasses the stall angle (in layman terms the angle the plane's nose is making with the horizontal is greater than a pre-set maximum angle that the wings of that specific plane model can handle).

However, it is easy to make such assumptions or assertions while sitting in the comfort of one's lounge, it is a totally different scenario while you are in that actual scenario.

There was a NAT GEO documentary of a downed plane which had flipped over and stalled, the time it took from the point things went south to the crash was about 30 seconds. The investigators inorder to recreate the scenario ran the same situation in a simulator and allowed ten pilots (of similar experience to the downed plane's pilot) to try and save the plane within the same 30 seconds. Lo and behold, every single one of them managed to do it.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Azam Sehgal speaks up :
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post
    Azam Sehgal speaks up :
    I hope there is some context otherwise this statement alone looks.......

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    There was a NAT GEO documentary of a downed plane which had flipped over and stalled, the time it took from the point things went south to the crash was about 30 seconds. The investigators inorder to recreate the scenario ran the same situation in a simulator and allowed ten pilots (of similar experience to the downed plane's pilot) to try and save the plane within the same 30 seconds. Lo and behold, every single one of them managed to do it.
    Obviously. It's because they knew exactly what was going to happen before they entered the simulator. The pilots in the incident didn't have any idea their aircraft was going to misbehave, they were less spontaneous and had a greater reaction time as a result in their actions.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGuru View Post
    I hope there is some context otherwise this statement alone looks.......
    Can you provide a translation?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1063 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    "We were hoping that the plane will reach it's destination with one functioning engine"

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    "We were hoping that the plane will reach it's destination with one functioning engine"
    Great example of the value of life in Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    and that's a statement by PIA chairman thats why i said i hope there is a context this statement looks like a joke alone.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I doubt he meant that they were hoping to fly the plane all the way from Chitral to Islamabad on one functioning engine. He probably meant once the first engine failed, they hoped the other engine would've sufficed for the rest of the flight. As bad as PIA is, the statement is probably being taken out of context.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    I doubt he meant that they were hoping to fly the plane all the way from Chitral to Islamabad on one functioning engine. He probably meant once the first engine failed, they hoped the other engine would've sufficed for the rest of the flight. As bad as PIA is, the statement is probably being taken out of context.
    Yea that make sense

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    There were MANY issues with the ATR even before PIA bought it. And what made it worse was that PIA started repairing the plane parts itself even after being sent pleadings from the European company (where the ATR's propellers and other equipment and parts came from) that repairs need proper certification and a level of competence. The same plane has also reportedly had issues since 2011, issues which PIA insisted on repairing itself to save money and some of the equipment was so shoddy they finished the job with $40 worth of crap).

People hence are absolutely right to bash PIA.
    They are capable of magnificent feats. A PIA ATR once got me from Peshawar to Lahore in the same amount of time it takes to fly from Islamabad to London and back(11 hour delay, technical issues in the air, emergency landing in ISB, another 5 hour delay), and this was when they were all less than a year old.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Military and mullah
    *Redacted*

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Loved Maulana Tariq Jamil's tribute to JJ.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post
    Azam Sehgal speaks up :
    I am 100% sure no pilot in their right mind would take off the plane of the ground with one engine when two needed.

It seem like that statement had been taken off the context.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by www787 View Post
    I am 100% sure no pilot in their right mind would take off the plane of the ground with one engine when two needed.

It seem like that statement had been taken off the context.
    Hope So.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    http://www.dawn.com/news/1301248/pem...onboard-pk-661

Appalling irresponsibility from a TV channel.

The Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (Pemra) on Thursday issued a show cause notice to a private TV channel, Channel 24, for airing a fake audio clip following the crash of the ill-fated Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) flight PK-661.

The Pemra notification reads that the channel reportedly aired screams of the passengers, moments before the crash.

“Audiences expressed their displeasure on it, submitted complaints at the Pemra complaint centre and on the authority's twitter account," added the statement.

The notification went on to say that the audiences “protested over the insensitive display by the channel and demanded action against its irresponsible and unprofessional attitude".

Pemra directed the channel's administration to produce evidence that the alleged audiotape was of the passenger cabin of the ATR aircraft, and in the event it was, to reveal how it was recorded, transported to the channel and under which mechanism, the channel had the confirmation that the tape was authentic.

The notification added further that the act by the channel is in defiance of Pemra laws, particularly the Electronic Media Code of Conduct 2015, claws 3(1), 8(2) and 17.

The regulator ordered the channel to explain its position before the authority before December 15.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    It's never just black and white in an aircraft accident.

There are many scenarios that go wrong before an airplane is downed. Those who have studied in this field would know that the engine of the airplane does not generate lift, the engine provides forward thrust, it is the shape and geometry of the airplane wings that generates lift. However there is a direct relation between thrust and lift. Next time you board a flight see how the plane actually speeds up when coming in to land, however the pilot is altering the shape of the wing by deploying spoilers that reduce the lift and allow the plane to descend.

That being said when one engine blows this puts extra strain on the remaining engine, since now it has to produce twice the amount of forward thrust and has to carry the dead weight of the other engine. This causes the plane to veer towards the side of the dead engine. However, there are measures to counter this too, the pilot can bank the side of the functioning engine and this will cause the plane to have level flight.

As has been mentioned on this thread that the plane was in a collision course with the mountain a case of stall might have crept in as the pilot tried to ascend to avoid the mountain. Stall is when the lift generated by the wings instantaneously goes to zero thus causing the flying object to drop like a rock. Stall occurs when the angle of attack of the plane surpasses the stall angle (in layman terms the angle the plane's nose is making with the horizontal is greater than a pre-set maximum angle that the wings of that specific plane model can handle).

However, it is easy to make such assumptions or assertions while sitting in the comfort of one's lounge, it is a totally different scenario while you are in that actual scenario.

Another thing, the turbulence and air density near the mountain may have been beyond the altitude characteristics of the aircraft itself even with two engines; pilot found himself in a very unfortunate situation where the correct approximation of landing distance may not have been possible.

I've read posts where folk seem to think that you're a bad pilot if you can't fly with one engine, especially in those flight conditions right
    Last edited by shaz619; 8th December 2016 at 20:08.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Houston, TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year can't end soon enough. 2016 has been a disaster.

Greatness is a choice. Mediocrity is a disease.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Heart aches everytime I think of this incident. A truly sad incident. Even more shock when you knew someone on that plane (JJ).

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

PK-661 crashes enroute to Islamabad, no survivors - Junaid Jamshed amongst passengers

It is still fresh, this incident, but with time it keeps growing on me. I feel as if in Junaid Jamshed I´ve lost someone very close to him, particularly since it is the month of Rabbi-ul-Awwal, and today is the 12th of it - a month and a day when he used to be a very familiar sight on the Pakistan channels.

I´ve not been too much into music the last 18 months or so, without any particular reasons mind you, but have been listening to "Dil dil Pakistan" and another one of his songs. Just feel it as a way to re-connect with him, and have of course been paying attention to any hamd-o-naat by him that they show on the channels.

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    http://tribune.com.pk/story/1297195/...-crew-drugged/

PIMS to test whether PK-661 flight crew was drugged

The district administration and officials at the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (Pims) said on Monday that they will conduct tests on samples already collected from the crew of Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) flight PK-661 to check whether they had been drugged.

The statement came after directives from the Aviation Division to exhume bodies of the flight crew to carry out the necessary tests came to light on Monday. On December 7, 2016, a French-built ATR-42, was flying from Chitral to Islamabad when it crashed into a hillside in Havelian, killing all 47 people on board. The victims included singer-turned-preacher Junaid Jamshed, his wife and the Chitral deputy commissioner.

In a letter written by District Health Officer on December 23 to officials at Pims, the officer had requested an autopsy of the two pilots, two flight attendants and one flight officer who were on board flight PK-661. The district health officer had asked for the procedure to ascertain whether the crew had been intoxicated, as required by the investigation board.

The Pims administration, however, denied receiving any written orders to carry out the tests so far. Hospital officials, though, said that they had retained samples from the bodies to carry out the necessary tests.

“It is routine that after every aircraft accident …we have retained samples of all the bodies as a reference and we can run whatsoever tests which the Civil Aviation Authority wishes and there is no need to exhume the bodies at all,” said Professor Dr Javed Akram, the vice chancellor of Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto Medical University (SZABMU), on Monday. Pims is an attached hospital of SZABMU.

After the crash in Havelian, and an acute shortage of space in the mortuary at the Ayub Teaching Hospital in Abbottabad, officials had decided to move all 47 bodies to Pims in Islamabad. There, after completing the necessary formalities and taking samples to carry out DNA tests, the bodies had been moved to a cold-storage facility in Rawat.

Deputy Commissioner Mushtaq Ahmad, meanwhile, said on Monday that the letter to exhume bodies of the two pilots, one flight officer and two flight attendants had been withdrawn and that the hospital had been asked to conduct drug tests on samples which the hospital had already taken.

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One year ago. May Allah have mercy on him.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    One year ago. May Allah have mercy on him.
    May Allah SWT have mercy on all those who were on that flight and everyone else who passed away.

Time goes so quick; miss Junaid Jamshed so much. He was like a family member in Ramadan due to his Ramadan show on ARY. Last Ramadhan was not the same. A legend went way too early.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    PK-661 crash: Locals unable to forget ‘scenes from hell’

As locals and schoolchildren streamed towards the site where a plane had crashed in the hills of Havelian almost a year ago, the chilly air hung heavy with sadness.

Silence filled the December morning as they prayed for the 48 people who died in the crash — including 42 passengers, five crew and one ground engineer — in Batolni village.

“I was heading home when the plane crashed,” said an eyewitness Abdul Baseer, adding that since they are villagers, they usually head home before the sun sets.

“When I saw the plane pass low over the hills, I immediately became afraid and I thought for a moment what has happened to the plane that it is trying to land in our village,” he said, adding that a few moments later the plane disappeared from his sight soon followed by the news that a plane had crashed on the hills near Batolni.

“As soon as we heard the news, a friend and I rushed to the spot,” Baseer said, adding that they reached the spot after a half-hour hike.

“What we saw there was nothing short of scenes from hell,” he recounted, adding that the entire area was ablaze with plane parts strewn all over the hillside.

Soon after the crash, dozens of locals from villages around the crash site rushed to the spot. They said that a year after the incident, the sight of the plane plunging into the hillside was still fresh in their minds.

“It is our tradition to rush to the scene of any accident to offer aid,” said one villager while explaining the immediate response of locals.

Gul Khan, a resident of Langra village, near the crash site, said that the plane had crashed nose-first, which meant that most of the bodies were in the fore section of the aircraft.

“The flames emanating from the aircraft scared me,” said Feroze Khan, who lives in the nearby village of Philwari.

He added that before crashing, the plane had circled the hill at least once.

“It seems as if the pilot had spotted a barren field at the foot of the hill and wanted to land the plane there,” Feroze said, adding that as the plane came around for a second pass, it was already on fire.

Sher Afzal Khan, a wizened native, termed the crash as the worst incident in the area’s history, adding that locals have been unable to forget it.

“I still remember pulling out the bodies, it was an apocalyptic scene.”

Chacha Yousaf, an elder who lives in Batloni village, recalled how the plane had passed low over his house.

“There were screams coming from inside the plane,” he claimed.

However, some commended the pilot of the plane for avoiding any populated areas, lest the crash toll rose.

The pilot manoeuvred away from densely populated areas in Havelian and was successful in his attempt,” said social worker Imtiaz Khan.

He added that on the other side of the hill the plane crashed in, there is a dam with deep water, perhaps the pilot was aiming for that to avoid on-ground casualties.

One local was particularly upset over the death of singer Junaid Jamshed in the crash.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1577914...t-scenes-hell/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP! junaid and all..!Missed JUnaid so much....he was such a lovely person and Voice but willl be remembered for his dil dil pakistan.