Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Remembering Junaid Jamshed: The Singer, The Scholar, The Philanthropist and Pakistan's National Icon

There will be no dearth of superlatives describing the public personality that was Junaid Jamshed.

He was a man of many labels — a trendsetter, a spiritual inspiration, the centre of much media attention and never far from controversy. As the nation pays tribute to the legend who died on the way to Islamabad from Chitral in a plane crash near Havelian city of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on Wednesday, there is an overwhelming sense of the loss of a national icon.

Junaid Jamshed was born in Karachi on Sept 3, 1964. His father Jamshed Akbar Khan, who passed away earlier this year, hailed from Nowshera and was a retired officer of the Pakistan Air Force. His mother Nafeesa Akbar Khan was the granddaughter of the nawab of Loharu state, an 11-gun salute state under the British Raj. Relatives recall that Junaid had wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps and join the PAF, but he couldn’t fit the bill. He enrolled in the University of Engineering and Technology in Lahore instead and graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering in 1990.

In one of his later interviews, Junaid said that fate had never agreed with the career path he had chosen for himself. He had had no plans on pursuing a career in music. The music followed him.

From performing at a rock gig in Peshawar University in 1983, to becoming the front man for his university band Nuts and Bolts, until finally skyrocketing to fame as the lead vocalist of Vital Signs, Junaid’s legacy as one of the most significant individuals in the Pakistani music industry had become indisputable.

The Vital Signs — fondly referred to as the Beatles of Pakistan — would set the bar for pop and rock music in Pakistan. 'Dil Dil Pakistan', released in 1987, would become an anthem that Junaid would acknowledge even as he later severed ties with the music industry.

Three years after he released his last solo album, Junaid renounced music and decided to devote his life to Islam.

Ayesha Salam, a cousin of Junaid’s, remembers him fondly as being a truly generous person. As relatives and close family friends gathered at the house in Karachi where the family had only recently mourned the death of his father, there were prayers being said for all those who had died in the tragic PK-661 plane crash. She calls it a national tragedy.

“We are mourning the deaths of all those who passed away in the plane crash. We are one in grief,” she says. Ms Salam recalls that while many celebrities made public their philanthropic works, Junaid would never speak of them in public. “He was an incredibly humble soul,” she says. Despite being a religious scholar with his own following, he never called himself an aalim.

Junaid was scheduled to deliver the Friday sermon at the Parliament Mosque this week and was on his way to Islamabad from a Tableeghi Jamaat mission in Chitral. On Wednesday, condolences poured in from around the world and several religious scholars, political figures and old friends took to Twitter to remember their old friend and comrade. Dr Mufti Ismail Menk of Zimbabwe, who was named one of the top 500 most influential Muslims in the world since 2010, tweeted: “I am saddened by news of the death of #JunaidJamshed and his wife in a #PIA plane crash. May the Almighty grant ease to all in the tragedy.”

Those who knew him say there was an aura around him, says Ms Salam. He will be remembered as a national singing icon, a pious and religious scholar, a TV personality, a successful entrepreneur, a politically conscious commentator, a philanthropist and a true gentleman. “He was immensely talented,” she says, “and there will never be another Junaid.”

Source: http://images.dawn.com/news/1176715/...-national-icon

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    90s generation is never going to forget him he was part of our lives...

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Jan 2003
    Venue
    MCG
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGuru View Post
    90s generation is never going to forget him he was part of our lives...
    This is definitely the reason his death has really hit us hard, he was the icon for many of us. We only had PTV in those days and his songs were one of the most famous those days and then Dil Dil Pakistan just made him household name. We may not have agreed with everything he said but he always took the criticism with grace and only harsh thing he said to those morons who tried to hit him at the airport is "Aaj aapne buhat dukh diya mujhay" and still forgave them all. This wasn't a drama for public only as many people close to him confirm that he was a gentleman who never even got angry due to difference of opinion which is quite common for religious preachers.

You will badly missed Junaid bhai

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waseem View Post
    This is definitely the reason his death has really hit us hard, he was the icon for many of us. We only had PTV in those days and his songs were one of the most famous those days and then Dil Dil Pakistan just made him household name. We may not have agreed with everything he said but he always took the criticism with grace and only harsh thing he said to those morons who tried to hit him at the airport is "Aaj aapne buhat dukh diya mujhay" and still forgave them all. This wasn't a drama for public only as many people close to him confirm that he was a gentleman who never even got angry due to difference of opinion which is quite common for religious preachers.

You will badly missed Junaid bhai
    As i said in another thread he actually changed the face of TJ (Tableeghi Jamaat) with his soft approach, tolerance and his way of respecting the views of others specially other sects even if they don't agree with him he never criticized any sect or community. I saw Shias and Christians also coming on TV and social media to say only good things about him yesterday that shows you he earned their respect in his life time. Usne to apne per attack kerne waale un jahil larkon ko be maaf kerdya tha and no case was registered against them.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3915 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    A big part of my childhood died, and any Pakistani who grew up in the 80's/90's can relate.

We grew up singing his songs and watching his music videos on PTV/PTV World (the only two channels we had) every day.

People can disagree with some of the things that he did and said in the last decade, but what cannot be disputed is the fact that he no individual had a bigger impact on our pop culture - he was a true icon of the nation, whose songs are timeless.

I also had the privilege of meeting him few years back when he visited the mosque in my locality, and although this has been a heartbreaking year for us, no celebrity death has hit me harder.

Been listening to Vital Signs songs for the last few hours non-stop, and I am sure most of us know most of the songs by heart, at least I do.

Also, I think some people should stop dictating others over how to remember him. Some online ulema are asking people not to remember his music but instead, focus on his practices after he became a preacher. These people need to stop this moral policing because different people will remember him in different ways. For some, he was a successful businessman and influential religious activist, for others, he was The Voice of Pakistan and that's how I am going to remember him.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didn't grow up in Pakistan, but I have a couple of my own JJ stories to tell.

When I was 12, I completed the Qur'an for the first time, and my family held my Ameen celebration. I think at this point he was still in his music career, although it was certainly winding down.

Vital Signs had given a concert the night before, and as it happened, most of the people who were at the concert ended up coming to my Ameen as well, including JJ and Vital Signs. While I cannot take credit for his turn towards Allah and Islam, I like to think that seeing the Ameen helped him along his way.

I saw him several years later, at an Islamic Relief fundraiser. I related this story to him and he smiled and nodded.

He was a good man.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Junaid Jamshed is being remembered for a wrong reason. He should be remembered for the khidmaat he did for Islam in the Path of Allah, for his efforts to spread din Islam through dawah and tablig.He died as a Muslim in the path of Allah.May Allahpak acccept him as a shahid.It's not easy to leave the world of showbiz and enter into the duniya of din until one has blessings of Allah upon him.I am a big fan of Junaid the bujurg, Junaid the tabligwala.

Debut
    Jan 2003
    Venue
    MCG
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainul View Post
    Junaid Jamshed is being remembered for a wrong reason. He should be remembered for the khidmaat he did for Islam in the Path of Allah, for his efforts to spread din Islam through dawah and tablig.He died as a Muslim in the path of Allah.May Allahpak acccept him as a shahid.It's not easy to leave the world of showbiz and enter into the duniya of din until one has blessings of Allah upon him.I am a big fan of Junaid the bujurg, Junaid the tabligwala.
    There is nothing wrong with admiring the Junaid you know but quite a few people grew up listening to his songs and he was quite popular so maybe we can relate to that Junaid more? He never hated his past (as a singer) and still sang here and there on people's requests.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    We all don jjs when we visit Pakistan
    Always go to the jj store in saddar too

It is sad that he's gone I didn't like his voice as much as Sabris but he probably did more welfare work than sabri which was very noble of him
    Let's just hope someone continues on his legacy

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Was just about to make a seperate thread for him, he deserves his own.

Have been binging through all of his hit songs, felt goosebumps at first, was a true icon and legend, and a major part of a lot of people's childhood here.

You hear folks saying why are people forgetting the other passengers in the flight, or even when Paul Walker passed away why no one gave the same amount of tributes to his driver, but that is not the point. Ofc our condolences to go to everyone and may they all RIP. But when someone famous like this goes then you will feel extra for them, in JJ's case, his songs kind of defined an era for Pakistani youth who identified and related so much to his songs. So despite ever meeting him, they already had a connection with him, and now it feels like that connection was abruptly cut off. Like hearing about a friend who you haven't heard from in a long, long time.

I still won't forget having to memorize dil-dil Pakistan for a 14th August function in school, which I had to sing and got an award for it.
    Last edited by Suleiman; 8th December 2016 at 22:50.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    In your dil, but not in your dimaag.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    A big part of my childhood died, and any Pakistani who grew up in the 80's/90's can relate.

We grew up singing his songs and watching his music videos on PTV/PTV World (the only two channels we had) every day.

People can disagree with some of the things that he did and said in the last decade, but what cannot be disputed is the fact that he no individual had a bigger impact on our pop culture - he was a true icon of the nation, whose songs are timeless.

I also had the privilege of meeting him few years back when he visited the mosque in my locality, and although this has been a heartbreaking year for us, no celebrity death has hit me harder.

Been listening to Vital Signs songs for the last few hours non-stop, and I am sure most of us know most of the songs by heart, at least I do.

Also, I think some people should stop dictating others over how to remember him. Some online ulema are asking people not to remember his music but instead, focus on his practices after he became a preacher. These people need to stop this moral policing because different people will remember him in different ways. For some, he was a successful businessman and influential religious activist, for others, he was The Voice of Pakistan and that's how I am going to remember him.
    That's pretty pathetic, I bet these are the same folks who were advocating the harassment he got in the airport for miss-speaking.

He may have transformed himself, but he has said it himself, he is not ashamed of his past.

Swing it like Akram, whack it like Afridi, live it like Inti.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legends die young & tragically too. RIP.

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Full video of the classic tribute above:

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    During the 1999 World Cup, I remember Pakistan were chasing a target of around 240 odd runs with Anwar and Wasti batting and gunning down a target that, during those times, was considered a stiff-ish total.
    Contrary to how we normally chase we were doing pretty well in that game so everything was smooth sailing almost pretty much till the end with the crowd invading the pitch after Saeed mistimed a top edge off Astle when just two runs were required for victory.

My memory of that match is much more distinct compared to other games of that World Cup because I had just bought a new Sony Walkman with a pair of headphones (just prior to the game) and that these were somewhat considered quite 'hip' at that time.

Long story short, throughout that entire game I kept playing (on repeat I might add) Dil Dil Pakistan over and over again! That song was near a decade old at that point in time and other major hits like Jazba Junoon and Sayonee were much more in trend but for some odd reason it gave a much more deeper connect for me.

Sadly I will never feel the same whenever I might hear 'Dil Dil Pakistan' again (especially during a cricket game) but for what it's worth 'Dil Dil Pakistan' will forever live among the fans who grew up in that magical 90s era !!

JJ was the voice of the post-Zia tyrannical regime, he was the stimulation of a magical period where youthful exuberance captured melodic rhymes and turned them into an anthem like persona for over a decade - This is how I will remember Junaid Jamshed.

In the end, it was a certain privilege to have been part of this amazing journey that saw the peak of a pop star turn himself for a spiritual cause and become one of the biggest humanitarians of our nation.

JJ You will be missed my friend #DilDilPakistanForever

Name:  15338754_606537476199166_1083915865084507510_n.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  48.8 KB

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainul View Post
    Firstly people have the right to remember him the way they want to. And secondly there is nothing wrong with music and having a music career. Junaid did turn to Islam which is a good thing but he himself admitted that he wasn't ashamed or hated his past so there is nothing wrong if someone wants to remember him as a great singer.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Used to listen to his naats all the time. Also remember watching his show with Baddami during Iftar time. RIP brother.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It literally feels like a part of me died today. Dil Dil Pakistan was my first favorite song. He had many other hits to like Maula, Dil Mange, Us Raah par. I wish he personally continued singing, he was a great talent.

What makes it even more painful is the fact that this could have been avoided and he along with the other 46 passengers could still be with us today.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Good tribute to him..

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aik saal beet gaya...

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I feel strangely patriotic towards Pakistan when I listen to JJ's Dil Dil Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    I feel strangely patriotic towards Pakistan when I listen to JJ's Dil Dil Pakistan.
    Even Modi will feel patriotic towards Pakistan if he listens to Dil Dil Pakistan. Best patriotic song ever known to man.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I remember upto a week or so after JJ passed I was blasting his greatest hits everyday and everywhere, at home, at work, in the car you name it. Kids who grew up in the 90s had only Vital Signs and Junoon to listen to and they are a big part of who we are now.

Huge loss to the nation. Taken from us too soon but we all belong to Allah and to Him shall we return.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was one of the most popular individuals in Pakistan, across various segments of society.
    Probably, he was among the top 5 things, i watched most number of times on TV during my childhood. Cartoons , Ainak wala Jin and cricket were my favorites but Junaid was always there on TV.
    Although he changed his course toward religion after leaving singing , he remained a household name with his naats and Ramadan transmissions. And that change led him to the establishment of J. , a garment and ready made clothes chain which was and still is my favorite when it comes to kurtas.
    That's why I remember the day when i heard the news of his demise, it was like a family member, a long time friend had passed away. Yes, we move on after a loss but at that moment it was as if something very personal was lost.

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heart still bleeds thinking about Junaid Jamshed...

I just think the work he did for Vital signs is a bit cliched and underrated when people just talk about the usual chart busters from Vital signs...

There are some absolute belters in the album that never made note or were appreciate by the public.

I am also sad an entire generation 'underappreciates' the music of JJ, or realized how big he was as a celebrity.
    His songs had deeper meaning to them than people realize, there is some deep insight in his singing that you then see in his naats too.

This was a man who was searching his soul for what he wants in life, then he found it in religion.

Then I think to myself I am being selfish for what I believe JJ should've been, he was the biggest he ever was in his career as a Ramzan transmission host/Islamic celebrity/businessmen/Preacher of religion.

In growing fascination I listened to most of Junaid's naats, in that basically he found was he was looking for in religion. The peace of mind that we all need and want.

I have always read somewhere Junaid is an extremely emotional person and a few of his earlier heartbreaks got him into a very depressive state. Which you can see in his songs, he has sung some very good songs about heartbreak.

Vital signs - musafir

'meray dil tu hai musafir, zindagi ek safar hai, kia jaanu teri manzil hai kahan'

Then there is this naat by Junaid also called 'musafir' -

'duniya kay ay musafir, manzil teri kabar hai, manzil teri kabar hai'

I have done alot of research on Junaid Jamshed and everything associated with him this past year and still miss him dearly despite him being gone for a year. His absence made me ask alot of questions of myself, and how things can change so drastically in someone's life. An enigma I still feel I need to understand more.