Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2551 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

Aleem Dar becomes cricket’s most experienced umpire

LAHORE: Pakistani umpire Aleem Dar on Monday became cricket’s most experienced umpire as he broke the previous record of officiating in the most number of international matches during the second Test between South Africa and Sri Lanka in Cape Town.

The 48-year-old surpassed the tally of South African Rudi Koertzen, who had stood in 331 international matches.

Dar is currently supervising his 332nd international match —109 Tests, 182 ODIs, and 41 T20Is.

Speaking to Express News, Dar said the milestone is a great honour for him and thanked everyone who supported him throughout the years. “It is a great honour for me and I would like to thank Allah as well as my family and friends, who have always supported me,” he said.

While the Jhang-born started his career as a cricketer, he has earned accolades as an umpire ever since he officiated in his first match on February 16, 2000 in Gujranwala between Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

He was made a part of the Elite Panel of International Cricket Council (ICC) Umpires in 2002 and won ICC’s Umpire of the Year award in 2009, 2010, and 2011.

The Government of Pakistan honoured him with Pride of Performance on August 14, 2010.

Link

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fantastic umpire.

Simon Taufel was my all time favourite. He's up there with him.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats.Great Umpire

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three reviews in three balls today and he is proved right on each occasion.

Brilliant umpire, having a brilliant game.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those were excellent calls by him..

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a good game umpiring wise.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My all time favourite umpire. Hasn't regressed with age, is as good as he was back in 2007 or maybe even better.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very consistent umpire who hardly gets a decision wrong. Any batsmen questioning him is normally a waste of time.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He had a dodgy period brought on by Shane Warnes unfair criticism around 4 years ago but he is back to his best and has been brilliant this series.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His decision on Pandya was overturned but I was very surprised, I thought it would be umpires call or even missing, when it was 3 reds I was stunned, but happy of course

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Met him in Birmingham city centre before the 1st test. He was with his wife and buying a phone accessory from a mobile phone shop. I told him that I am proud of him for portraying such a good image of Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very good umpire.

Out of context question can he do umpiring for pakistan? or you can't umpire for own country team these days?

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    Very good umpire.

Out of context question can he do umpiring for pakistan? or you can't umpire for own country team these days?
    Yes he can umpire ODIs and 20/20s on home tours for Pakistan and has done in the past. But as he is an elite umpire busy with other matches he umpires very few for Pak so it’s normally the other Pak umpires.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    His decision on Pandya was overturned but I was very surprised, I thought it would be umpires call or even missing, when it was 3 reds I was stunned, but happy of course
    I still think he was right, anything over the knee roll- not out. Even the commentators felt he was right not to give it out.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90MPH View Post
    Yes he can umpire ODIs and 20/20s on home tours for Pakistan and has done in the past. But as he is an elite umpire busy with other matches he umpires very few for Pak so it’s normally the other Pak umpires.
    how often does Pakistan get elite umpires for its game?

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    MCG - Mera Chota Ghar, SE England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 3 decisions off 3 consecutive balls were fantastic.

Ball 1: Kohli given not out down the legside through to the keeper (England reviewed for the catch, no edge)

Ball 2: Kohli off the glove to short leg, given out, Kohli instant review with a knowing smile fully thinking no glove. Ultra edge showed contact with a glove and Alim Dar confirms it with his own smile of borne out of satisfaction.

Ball3: Karthick given LBW, reviewed by the batsman again and ball tracking confirms
    a 3rd correct decision in a row.

Aleem Dar take a bow sir.

In the interest of fairness, the Pandya one later was overturned but everyone is human.

Frank Skinner: Pakistan looked better than this when they were trying to lose.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It just sucks that i have rarely seen him umpire because i only ever watched Pakistani matches, and you dont find umpires umpiring for his local team, plus guys like Aleem Dar are always given duty for India, Australia and England matches.

Really feel proud that we have a great guy serving us in the Umpire field.

I really hate the way the Aussies treat him.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    I still think he was right, anything over the knee roll- not out. Even the commentators felt he was right not to give it out.
    Yep agreed, didn't look out to me either.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent Umpire.His decisions are rarely proven incorrect

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A true gentleman and a great umpire.

A great ambassador for Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent umpire and a good ambassador for Pakistan

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great umpire! IIRC he found Saad Nasim? Where is the dude these days

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    790 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hafizexpress View Post
    Great umpire! IIRC he found Saad Nasim? Where is the dude these days
    Last I read of him he was captaining some club match in Karachi.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1922 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Excellent umpire, one of the best ever. He seemed to suffer a sharp decline few years back, but he has made a strong come back. Deserves a spot in 2019 WC Final, but this one I am sure no Pakistani would wish to happen

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    PCB congratulates Aleem Dar on completing double-century of ODIs

Lahore, 7 May 2019:

The Pakistan Cricket Board today congratulated Aleem Dar on reaching the 200-ODI milestone when he took the field in Dublin for the match between Bangladesh and the Windies.

Aleem, an ICC elite panelist and winner of the David Shepherd Trophy for ICC Umpire of the Year from 2009-2011, has become the third umpire after Rudi Koertzen (209) and Billy Bowden (200) to achieve the rare distinction.

Aleem, who was bestowed with the President’s Award for Pride of Performance in 2010, has been named as one of the umpires for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019, which means he can potentially become the most ODI capped umpire during cricket’s pinnacle 50-over event.

PCB Managing Director, Wasim Khan, said: “On behalf of the PCB and all cricket fans, I want to congratulate Aleem on the magnificent achievement of officiating in 200 ODIs. This feat is testament to Aleem’s skill, judgement and commitment to excellence.

“Aleem made a swift and timely transition from a first-class cricketer in 1997 to an international umpire in 2000. Today, he stands tall as one of the most respected and admired umpires in the world.

“Aleem is a strong role model for youngsters and retired cricketers who are looking at careers within the game. Umpiring is a hugely credible profession and provides incredible opportunities for individuals to serve the game and earn an excellent living.

“As a nation, we are immensely proud of Aleem’s achievements and we look forward to him continuing to shine on the world stage.”

In the traditional format of the game, Aleem has umpired in 125 Tests and is three short of Steve Bucknor’s record of 128 Tests. He is sitting on top of the tree in T20Is with 43 matches.

Aleem Dar, reflecting on his achievement, said: “I feel honoured to have reached 200 ODIs. Not only the number of matches, it has been a privilege to be in the elite company of some of the best match officials, to watch the best players of this century around the globe and be involved in some of the most fascinating cricket matches.

“I remember my first ODI, which was coincidentally in my hometown of Gujranwala between Sri Lanka and Pakistan in 2000. My 200th is in Dublin, and it has been a 19-year journey, sometime a tough one without my family who made a big sacrifice for my ambitions and love for the game.

“As an umpire, you make good and bad decisions, and this is all part of the game. What an umpire shouldn’t do is to misinterpret the playing conditions as that is something everyone remembers for a long time.

“There have been lots of highlights in my career, but umpiring in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 is something I remember very fondly as all the 15 referrals against my decisions were upheld by technology. Being involved in some of the epic Ashes clashes, umpiring in the 2004 Antigua Test where Brian Lara scored 400 not out and the 2006 South Africa versus Australia ODI where South Africa chased down 434 to win in Johannesburg are some of the other matches that stand out for me.”

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My favourite umpire after Simon Taufel

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The International Cricket Council (ICC) has congratulated Aleem Dar of the Emirates ICC Elite Panel of Umpires for completing 200 One Day Internationals in the second match of the Ireland tri-series between Bangladesh and the West Indies in Dublin on Tuesday.

The 50-year-old Dar first officiated in an ODI in his hometown of Gujranwala in 2000 when he stood in a match between Pakistan and Sri Lanka. He has been part of ICC’s elite panels since 2004 and will be officiating in his fifth World Cup during the upcoming edition in England and Wales from 30 May to 14 July 2019.

Dar’s career highlights include standing in two ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup finals – in 2007 and 2011. He has also umpired in 125 Test matches, which is the second highest after Steve Bucknor’s 128 Tests, and his 43 Twenty20 Internationals are the highest by any umpire. He is only the third to get to the milestone after Rudi Koertzen (209) and Billy Bowden (200).

Adrian Griffith, ICC’s Senior Manager – Umpires and Referees: “Aleem has been one of our most reliable umpires, who has performed his duties consistently over a long period. The length of his career shows his quality and reflects our belief in him and the role he plays as a custodian of the game. On behalf of the ICC, I would like to congratulate Aleem for reaching this landmark and wish him continued success in his career.”

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    few questionable decisions throughout the years, especially against the aussies but brilliant advocate for Pakistan and the sport, well done to him

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Superb Umpire and a very nice man by the sounds of it.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Standing in the heat for 125 tests (over 500 days), trying to concentrate on each ball delivered, and again in 200 ODIs and then hundreds more of t20s (internationals, IPL, etc), not an easy task by any means.

Remember his flawless umpiring in 2011WC when all his reviewed decisions resulted in review getting wasted.

Has been ICC best umpire of the year for three consecutive years.

Big thumbs up to the gentleman!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wish Asad Rauf is redeemed back by PCB in some capacity, at least training other umpires or domestics, was a quality umpire as well