Venue
    Bochum, Deutschland.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1979 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Awful decision.

- The previous WC format was fine IMO, why change something that isn't broken?? Offered all continents and all countries a fair and equal shot at qualifying. The event itself was the right length and the group stage was actually exciting and every game had meaning nearly.
    - Now the qualifying is made even more unfair. Most of these new slots will go to the weaker regions so the likes of NZ and the USA/Mexico have basically been given a guaranteed WC spot.
    - Group stage of the WC has been absolutely destroyed. Win 1 match and you're essentially through. Awful awful stuff. Had it been 4 teams per group I'd have been OK which is why a 40 team expansion I'd have supported more but this is overkill.
    - First stage of knock-outs will see some seriously boring matches I reckon

Christ, I mean its good to see Asia/Africa get more teams but lets be realistic here if a WC was done on merit along through global qualifying I reckon about 26 of the 48 teams would be European, maybe even more. By selling themselves out for votes from the weaker continents they've made some nice headlines and tbf will bring happiness to these teams and nations but IMO it will come at the expense of the competition itself.

An expansion to 40 teams keeping the current group stage would've made far more sense, achieved the same goals and not have too bad an impact and I'd have supported it but IMO this is overkill.

And no0 before someone points it out, this is completely different to the cricket world cup I constantly argue should be growing. Cricket should grow to all the top Associates who can compete to play at the top level. It shouldn't do what FIFA just did which in cricket terms would be to have 24 teams at a CWC.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Group stages will be awfully diluted, the real world cup will begin in the KO's.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Awful decision.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awful decision. Current format is fine.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Delhi, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good decision. Maybe we can play the world cup in 2026. We have improved a lot. Ranked 129 right now...

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad decision,good for teams in Asia and Africa.

It does not do well to dwell on dreams,and forget to live.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    773 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    This might go to 64, until China is confirmed qualifier ........... Next Asian WC is destined to be hosted by China.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile over at the ICC...