UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

5th, 8th and 7th

Pakistan's rankings in Tests, ODIs and T20Is

A fair reflection of the current team and its performances?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tests: Nope.

We had been doing amazing for ages and hadn't lose a series since 2014. We were number 1 in September and then yes we got smashed badly but in two of the hardest countries to go to and we dropped to five. Rankings need to take into account home and away so for tests it's not a fair reflection as we are still a very good test side in UAE.

ODI's: yes, we are simply dreadful

T20s: Don't care

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely apt ranking for our mediocre team. It has the lowest win loss ratio away from home.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Riyadh, KSA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tests: Not at all.

We had either won or drawn our last 7 series before the NZ and AUS tour and then we got smashed. The 2-2 draw against ENG was our best performance in recent away tours. I also rate our recent SL tour as a nice performance because we all can see how devastating Herath has been in recent times and we often hit him out of the attack. That 380-odd run chase was also highly commendable. Not to forget that manic Sharjah chase in 2014.

I personally think that ENG, SAF and PAK deserve the top 3 spots in tests. IND and AUS are almost unbeatable at home and they play the bulk of their matches at home which is why I feel that they are ranked higher than they deserve.

A team that loses 3-0, to the worst SL team in recent times, must not be anywhere near the top 4 let alone have the 2nd position.

ODIS: I disagree

We are definitely better than Bangladesh and Sri Lanka right now so I think that we should be ranked 6th or atleast 7th.

T20s: I definitely agree

We have been shooting ourselves in the foot in the T20s. Our batsmen seem to have ZERO placement and almost always hit the ball straight to the fielders. Our bowlers have been unable to take wickets at crucial moments in T20s (which used to be our strength from 2007-2013) although this might be due to the loss of Ajmal and Hafeez (and Afridi losing his form with the ball).

IMO we are going to improve with Sarfraz's style of captaincy and we have promising youngsters like Imad Wasim and Mohammad Nawaz who are useful allrounders necessary for T20s.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Test: Probably no - definitely below IND, SAF & AUS; ahead of ENG & others. So, a toss between PAK & NZ - but NZ drew 1-1 in UAE & won 2-0 at home; but PAK also won 2-0 against AUS at home. So, 4.5 may be perfect.

ODI : May be - In Asia, PAK will lose to BD almost every where, outside Asia to WI almost every where. SRL is a toss, but, still they are ranked 7th. It's close between 6th to 9th - so, I'll stick to ranking position.

T20: No - I am not sure about T20 rankings, but 7th is too low. May be among top 5, but not sure in which order; I don't follow T20 much & the ranking table is not stable - just 1/2 match changes it drastically.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ranking (and rating) depends on how has team performed during last three to four years. It is never meant to reflect your current strength.

If team is really world beater, then his rating would be around 130+ and losing couple of series would not affect it's ranking.

But if team has become #1 due to the alignment of planets then prompt demotion from #1 to #5 is much anticipated.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should be 4th in Tests. Pak is better than Eng. Drew away with them and won at home.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistan will be on sixth position in tests once New Zealand beat Bangladesh...

It will be 6th, 7th & 8th...

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont think we would be moving any higher in the ODIs yet. To go past Bangladesh, we need to win the ODI series.

The man on top of the mountain didn’t fall there — Vince Lombardi

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the performance in Aus, the 5th position is more than fair.

I would say our ODI team is better than 8th with the inclusion of players like Sharjeel, Akmal, and Babar.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i think those are fair. in terms of tests, we over performed our potential for a while i think most would agree. in addition, the stalwarts have done their job and are coming to the end of their careers and the fledgling talents will take a while to settle, so i suspect that rating will fall further..

in terms of odi/t20s with afridi now thankfully out of the picture with his idiotic favouritism and god complex, new players have been inducted and performances have started to look like at least they are not getting worse. my guess is that we will start improving here.

id prefer to give inzi a year or so to see if he can extract the best talent and induct it into the side. so far his interviews sound certainly like he knows far more about whats happening on the player landscape than his totally incompetent predecessors.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Zero View Post
    If team is really world beater, then his rating would be around 130+ and losing couple of series would not affect it's ranking.

But if team has become #1 due to the alignment of planets then prompt demotion from #1 to #5 is much anticipated.
    Agree here. Normally you won't find teams with 105-110 points with rank 1 for too long. Even to get there normally you need more points.
    Last edited by Buffet; 10th January 2017 at 20:09.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no flaw in the ranking. There are so many test matches going on at the moment, teams tend to replace each other in the ranking.

Though ranking in based on past few months performances, the current team performance plays a major part in standings. There is a mechanism in determining the ranking and we should respect it.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks to Misbah. What a captain. His legacy cannot be touched.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deserve to be 4th in Tests imo.

And in ODIs I think we deserve to be maybe another place up. We are far better than Sri Lanka and West Indies. Sri Lanka are still riding on the points they achieved when Sanga, Jayawardena were playing despite losing series repeatedly since.

Don't really care about T20I rankings.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Tests: Nope.

We had been doing amazing for ages and hadn't lose a series since 2014. We were number 1 in September and then yes we got smashed badly but in two of the hardest countries to go to and we dropped to five. Rankings need to take into account home and away so for tests it's not a fair reflection as we are still a very good test side in UAE.

ODI's: yes, we are simply dreadful

T20s: Don't care
    Apart from winning two tests in England, Pakistan has done nothing special overseas. Whitewashes in Aus, SA, NZ. So not sure if rankings "taking into account home and away" will improve Pakistan's rankings much.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Den of RCB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Top 4 team doesn't lose a test match at home to the worst team in Tests currently. So the rankings are fine in Tests.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Pakistan's rankings in Tests, ODIs and T20Is

A fair reflection of the current team and its performances?
    There isn't only one factor but many,

*) old style cricket!

*) disinterested old captain (tests)

*) not so smart captain (Odis) with a sheep like attitude,

*) quality of selection had been poor always even Inzamam hasn't done any wonders i havnt seen any difference bw him and other selectors!

*) it's an era of stroke makers but in Pakistan local good stroke makers have always been ridiculed.

*) quality of bowling isn't up to the mark, a guy who performed once in Feb 2015 still playing on that performance!

*) attitude of few bowlers isn't what you call a fast bowler like attitude theyre mere sheeps who is just there to throw the ball this isn't what you want from your pacers

*) quality of domestic cricket! Even I can arrange better tournaments than this whole PCB mess!

*) consistent domestic players have always been ignored don't know why!

*) batsmen lack thinking capacity, they can't play according to the conditions!

*) lack of lower order power hitters,

And etc.....
    Last edited by Grandpa; 11th January 2017 at 08:22.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    The good news can only go up from here.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SL_Fan View Post
    The good news can only go up from here.
    There's further downside before Pak can move up the rankings table, an ODI clean sweep in Aus could push them lower & a series loss in WI cannot be ruled out whilst T20 is a lottery more often than not.

If you think WI is just a pushover in tests, at home, then you'll have it coming in the Apr-May(?) series over there.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Test: Probably no - definitely below IND, SAF & AUS; ahead of ENG & others. So, a toss between PAK & NZ - but NZ drew 1-1 in UAE & won 2-0 at home; but PAK also won 2-0 against AUS at home. So, 4.5 may be perfect.

ODI : May be - In Asia, PAK will lose to BD almost every where, outside Asia to WI almost every where. SRL is a toss, but, still they are ranked 7th. It's close between 6th to 9th - so, I'll stick to ranking position.

T20: No - I am not sure about T20 rankings, but 7th is too low. May be among top 5, but not sure in which order; I don't follow T20 much & the ranking table is not stable - just 1/2 match changes it drastically.
    no we will not lose to wi away from asia...u will see it in our tour to wi..it is not that we are too strong but .wi team has many issues..

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    no we will not lose to wi away from asia...u will see it in our tour to wi..it is not that we are too strong but .wi team has many issues..
    May be, that's why I said from 6 to 9 teams are very close; I'll stick to ranking position. I can tell you that SRL will have tough time against us every where, and they'll struggle in BD - still they are 6th & that's fair enough.

In recent times, WI has beaten SAF & AUS in active rubber, therefore they are not that bad side, particularly at home; but yes, they do have off field issues.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    808 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    3rd, 5th and 5th is a better reflection of the side.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the true reflection of the side. I fully agree with this rating system.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test and ODI seem to be a fair reflection. Though T20s they are much better than 7th

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    Leicester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its only going to get worse now what with comebacks of failures

Hafeez is back
    Kamran is back
    Umar is back
    Shahzad will be back
    Malik is back
    Butt is on his way back too
    Heck just bring back Imran Farhat too

PCB going back in reverse where other teams are moving onwards and upwards.

For these failures to be back in the squad means bye bye to our youngsters. And drop more down the ranks.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make it 6 in tests after Nz beat Bangla.

After all those comebacks we need another comeback of our coach Waqar younis.

We are here discussing too much while the players and staff were fishing.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0H1T View Post
    There's further downside before Pak can move up the rankings table, an ODI clean sweep in Aus could push them lower & a series loss in WI cannot be ruled out whilst T20 is a lottery more often than not.

If you think WI is just a pushover in tests, at home, then you'll have it coming in the Apr-May(?) series over there.
    Actually no. Even a 5-0 drubbing would mean only one rating point lost because of the huge gap between Oz and Pak in rankings. But two wins could put them only one rating point behind Bangladesh. But yes, the series in West Indies could very well decide their World Cup qualification fate.

Now that you feel it, you don't

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Delhi, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tests : no.. #4 is better reflection.

ODIs : not at all.i certainly believe Pak should be at #5 in ODIs. They are better than SL and Bangladesh.

T20s : yes they deserve rank 7. Only better than Bangladesh.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blistering Barnacle View Post
    Based on the performance in Aus, the 5th position is more than fair.

I would say our ODI team is better than 8th with the inclusion of players like
    Sharjeel, Akmal, and Babar.
    we will know the answer starting from tomorrow..

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ankit007 View Post
    Tests : no.. #4 is better reflection.

ODIs : not at all.i certainly believe Pak should be at #5 in ODIs. They are better than SL and Bangladesh.

T20s :
    yes they deserve rank 7. Only better than Bangladesh
    They were atrocious in the WT20 but it is almost a year now... they did beat england (runners up) in england and greenwashed champions WI at UAE... This should have given them a boost up.. I disagree that pak are no.7 in T20Is going by the recent results...

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    6th, 8th and 7th now.

The slide is well and truly on.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think it isn't fair, it should be 4th and 6th for tests and ODI's. T20's is hard to know because not many are played and a couple of wins change the ranking drastically.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2016 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Try N/A, 12th and 15th

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current rankings of 6th, 8th and 7th may only be slightly off of what most experts would give us without a point system which i assume may be something like 5th, 7th/8th, 6th.

The point is we really need to do something different to get different results.

The man on top of the mountain didn’t fall there — Vince Lombardi

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Arthur and inzamam have a lot to answer for

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chacha kashmiri View Post
    Arthur and inzamam have a lot to answer for
    The players have a lot to answer for. I am sure this team will clean sweep anyone in UAE again but that is not where we want to be.

ODI team is making progress even if it doesn't look like it. From being completely overwhelmed by England to at least putting up a fight against OZ. We are progressing, but is it rapid enough in time for the major tournaments? We are 3 players away from having a world class ODI team.

Haris, Sarfraz and another batter is what we need.

Azhar, Umar Akmal, Rizwan will be gone after the end of this series.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty apt rankings in ODIs and T20s. Not so much in Tests.

We're a horrible one day unit, and at the moment, we'll lose to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Our only edge over them might be our pace bowling, but that's where the comparison ends. We're only ahead of WI currently, so a ranking of 8th is justified.

Have been losing a lot of T20I's over the last 3 years as well, and there are definitely more improved sides than us out there. So again, a ranking of 7th is justified.

However, I don't believe we deserve to be 6th in Tests. We've been the most consistent team in this format over the last 2-3 years. India has been winning continuously at home to get that number 1 spot, yet when we do it in the UAE, people immediately clamour for us to play abroad to find out if we really are as good as our ranking suggests. We should be 3rd minimum, with only the Saffers and India/England/Aussies (dont really care) ahead of us.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    I am sure this team will clean sweep anyone in UAE again
    If this team was clean sweeping everyone in UAE then ranking would have been higher than 6th despite getting whitewashed in Aus and NZ. There are many drawn test series and dropped tests by Pakistan in UAE and that doesn't help in gaining points.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions