Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Misbah has failed to take the Pakistan team to the next level" : Aamir Sohail

Writing in his latest blog for PakPassion.net, Aamir Sohail analyses the causes of Pakistan's disappointing performance in the recently concluded Test series against Australia and also discusses the futures of Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq.

Flawed preparation for the Australia series

The manner and margin of defeat in Test matches in Australia was very painful and I do not feel that Pakistan had any viable plan for success in this series. If they did have such a plan it was so far-fetched that its execution was not practically possible. It is obvious to all that the reason for Pakistanís failure in Australia is due to their bowling. We knew for a fact that our batsmen would struggle on bouncy tracks so the onus was on our bowlers to deliver those performances which would alleviate the pressure on our batting. They failed in spectacular fashion but then, this is not the first time that our bowlers have failed in Australia.

I am not sure what is so difficult or why despite planning and ample coaching they are unable to produce the kind of performances which would make life easier for the batsmen. Looking back at history, there have only been three Pakistan bowlers who have had ten wicket hauls down-under. Apart from Imran Khan in Sydney, Sarfraz Nawaz and Wasim Akram in Melbourne and other than those fantastic performances which lead to famous victories, most of our bowlers including some legendary names have all struggled to make a difference in Australia. What it boils down to is lack of preparation and also lack of technique which has let us down in the past and continues to destroy our chances in Australia today.

The wrong combination of bowlers and Yasir Shahís failure

Whilst it is difficult to put a finger on the exact causes of our bowling failure, I believe we did not have the right mixture of fast-bowlers. There is no magical formula for a good bowling combination but in general you need new ball bowlers who can swing the ball in the initial phases. Then when the ball is a little older, the captain should be able to call upon a bowler with some serious pace. Simple as it sounds, Misbah-ul-Haq did not have that luxury. And to compound Pakistan's problems, we have the mystery of Yasir Shahís inability to perform when needed. But then, when he picked up ten wickets at Lordís in the summer of 2016, I recall saying that yes, he has done well but he still needs to work on becoming a good bowler. He must work on his action and the biggest issue that I see with him is that he does not finish his action which is key for a leg-spinner to turn the ball away from a right-handed batsman. With this issue, later in Australia, Yasir was unable to turn the ball with the result that against batsmen who use their feet well, he was found out too easily.

Mushtaq Ahmedís failed partnership with Yasir Shah

If there is a need for a motivator, anyone with some experience at the Test level can step up and help Yasir Shah. But we had Mushtaq Ahmed helping Yasir Shah in the technical aspects for a while and that to me is the disappointing bit. Why is it that after such a long partnership with an experienced leg spin bowler, Yasir Shah is still struggling to turn the ball? Mushtaq should have worked with Yasir on the art of leg spin and we should have been reaping the rewards of that hard work in this series but that did not happen. In fact, Mushtaq was the coach for England as well but where are the list of quality spinners from England? My view is simple; Mushtaq or for that matter, any cricketer who wants to become a coach, should actually spend some time picking up the right qualifications for this job. They need to learn about techniques and bio-mechanics so that they can guide anyone to overcome their deficiencies. Sadly, Mushtaq lacks that knowledge and Yasirís failure to spin is an example of the failure of that deficiency.

Mohammad Amirís lack of effectiveness is worrying

A lot was expected from Amir in this series and to be fair to him, a lot of chances were created and not taken by the fielders which must have been disappointing. But if we are being honest then we should also admit that he had faults also. The final part of his action is not perfect and he is falling over to his left-side at the point of delivery. Regardless, the main issue is that he has not been able to swing to the ball and due to that reason, I feel his shortcomings were exposed in the Test series against Australia. What he needs to do now is to work very hard on these shortcomings. Like most fast-bowlers, he must work out and plan each of his six balls in the over. Beyond that, he needs to pay attention to ďspell managementĒ whereby he needs to plan his four or six over spell in detail. Itís not only Amir but all our fast-bowlers are unable to set-up a batsman which is key at this level of the game. Remember that as a fast-bowler, you donít need to put in extraordinary effort in every ball you bowl. What our bowlers need to do is to learn to surprise the batsman and do that on a consistent basis if they are to succeed at this level.

The issues with our batting

There is a common fault in our batsmen and I am surprised that itís not been picked up before. The problem is that they crouch too low in their stance and make things worse for themselves by shuffling their feet as well. From that point onwards, on a bouncy wicket you must literally jump to play your shots which puts you at a disadvantage. They simply donít know how or why they do it. It appears to me to be a copy/paste issue where you watch another batsman do it and try and copy that but donít know how to properly employ that technique. I really donít know how or why this problem exists but it appears that our batsmen simply donít know their own limitations which is a problem.

Younis Khan needs to stay on

Pakistan have a great batsman in their ranks in the shape of Younis Khan. I sincerely believe that he needs to carry on for at least two years as I feel he is committed to his job like no other. Yes, one can have failures as he did in Australia recently but it appeared that the weight or the brunt of Pakistanís batting stress seems to have fallen on his shoulders which is unfair. Apart from this blip, make no mistake, whenever Younis scores, the result is more than often a positive one for Pakistan.

The time has come for Misbah to move on

I have been saying this for a while and I will say it again. Misbah has done a tremendous service for Pakistan in the past. He took the reins of captaincy under very strenuous circumstances. However, where he has failed is in his inability to take the team that he built to the next level such that when he does leave, the next captain inherits a well-functioning unit. He needed to think about building a team for the future and should have thought carefully about what was needed for that. What he needed to have done is to have built a team which could succeed in places like New Zealand or Australia or South Africa.

In the history of Pakistan cricket, we had captains like Mushtaq Mohammad, Imran Khan and Javed Miandad who when they retired left a high-quality team for their successors to inherit and take forward. No other captain could achieve that. What we have now is a team which can only succeed under certain conditions, much like Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. You will do well in places which are familiar and the moment you come out of your comfort zone and get challenged, you will collapse in a heap. Misbah did a great job given the circumstances but, sadly, he was a failure in the longer run. Even Misbah will have realised that all his hard work has gone down the drain as he was never a forward thinker.

I do believe that it is time for him to move on but I have a suspicion that given his recent spate of losses he will want to stay on till the West Indies series to end his career on a high and it will really be up to the PCB to take whatever steps are necessary.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fully agree with what Aamer has said as I do most of the time however Mushtaq was one of the main reasons Yasir was doing so well. His absence has hurt Yasir

"Now go home and get your shinebox"

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't blame Misbah for that. He doesn't have the players to win in Aus, RSA and NZ. Under his captaincy Pak has performed well in the UAE.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Aussieland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TO be fair Misbah was a defensive Captain,i am saying Was because i think he will
    retire now. However, he never was,is or Will be a role model as a captain .
    He banked mainly on Ajmal and them Yasir in the deserts of UAE for all this success.

Misbah lacks imagination , lacks planning , and lacks leadership to win matches as bigger stage

Having said this , he stil has done a wonderful job and Pakistanis should be thankful to him for his
    scandal less career.

Yesterday is the past.Tomorrow is the future.Today is a gift.That's why it's called the "present"

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Writing in his latest blog for PakPassion.net, Aamir Sohail analyses the causes of Pakistan's disappointing performance in the recently concluded Test series against Australia and also discusses the futures of Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq.

Flawed preparation for the Australia series

The manner and margin of defeat in Test matches in Australia was very painful and I do not feel that Pakistan had any viable plan for success in this series. If they did have such a plan it was so far-fetched that its execution was not practically possible. It is obvious to all that the reason for Pakistan’s failure in Australia is due to their bowling. We knew for a fact that our batsmen would struggle on bouncy tracks so the onus was on our bowlers to deliver those performances which would alleviate the pressure on our batting. They failed in spectacular fashion but then, this is not the first time that our bowlers have failed in Australia.

I am not sure what is so difficult or why despite planning and ample coaching they are unable to produce the kind of performances which would make life easier for the batsmen. Looking back at history, there have only been three Pakistan bowlers who have had ten wicket hauls down-under. Apart from Imran Khan in Sydney, Sarfraz Nawaz and Wasim Akram in Melbourne and other than those fantastic performances which lead to famous victories, most of our bowlers including some legendary names have all struggled to make a difference in Australia. What it boils down to is lack of preparation and also lack of technique which has let us down in the past and continues to destroy our chances in Australia today.

The wrong combination of bowlers and Yasir Shah’s failure

Whilst it is difficult to put a finger on the exact causes of our bowling failure, I believe we did not have the right mixture of fast-bowlers. There is no magical formula for a good bowling combination but in general you need new ball bowlers who can swing the ball in the initial phases. Then when the ball is a little older, the captain should be able to call upon a bowler with some serious pace. Simple as it sounds, Misbah-ul-Haq did not have that luxury. And to compound Pakistan's problems, we have the mystery of Yasir Shah’s inability to perform when needed. But then, when he picked up ten wickets at Lord’s in the summer of 2016, I recall saying that yes, he has done well but he still needs to work on becoming a good bowler. He must work on his action and the biggest issue that I see with him is that he does not finish his action which is key for a leg-spinner to turn the ball away from a right-handed batsman. With this issue, later in Australia, Yasir was unable to turn the ball with the result that against batsmen who use their feet well, he was found out too easily.

Mushtaq Ahmed’s failed partnership with Yasir Shah

If there is a need for a motivator, anyone with some experience at the Test level can step up and help Yasir Shah. But we had Mushtaq Ahmed helping Yasir Shah in the technical aspects for a while and that to me is the disappointing bit. Why is it that after such a long partnership with an experienced leg spin bowler, Yasir Shah is still struggling to turn the ball? Mushtaq should have worked with Yasir on the art of leg spin and we should have been reaping the rewards of that hard work in this series but that did not happen. In fact, Mushtaq was the coach for England as well but where are the list of quality spinners from England? My view is simple; Mushtaq or for that matter, any cricketer who wants to become a coach, should actually spend some time picking up the right qualifications for this job. They need to learn about techniques and bio-mechanics so that they can guide anyone to overcome their deficiencies. Sadly, Mushtaq lacks that knowledge and Yasir’s failure to spin is an example of the failure of that deficiency.

Mohammad Amir’s lack of effectiveness is worrying

A lot was expected from Amir in this series and to be fair to him, a lot of chances were created and not taken by the fielders which must have been disappointing. But if we are being honest then we should also admit that he had faults also. The final part of his action is not perfect and he is falling over to his left-side at the point of delivery. Regardless, the main issue is that he has not been able to swing to the ball and due to that reason, I feel his shortcomings were exposed in the Test series against Australia. What he needs to do now is to work very hard on these shortcomings. Like most fast-bowlers, he must work out and plan each of his six balls in the over. Beyond that, he needs to pay attention to “spell management” whereby he needs to plan his four or six over spell in detail. It’s not only Amir but all our fast-bowlers are unable to set-up a batsman which is key at this level of the game. Remember that as a fast-bowler, you don’t need to put in extraordinary effort in every ball you bowl. What our bowlers need to do is to learn to surprise the batsman and do that on a consistent basis if they are to succeed at this level.

The issues with our batting

There is a common fault in our batsmen and I am surprised that it’s not been picked up before. The problem is that they crouch too low in their stance and make things worse for themselves by shuffling their feet as well. From that point onwards, on a bouncy wicket you must literally jump to play your shots which puts you at a disadvantage. They simply don’t know how or why they do it. It appears to me to be a copy/paste issue where you watch another batsman do it and try and copy that but don’t know how to properly employ that technique. I really don’t know how or why this problem exists but it appears that our batsmen simply don’t know their own limitations which is a problem.

Younis Khan needs to stay on

Pakistan have a great batsman in their ranks in the shape of Younis Khan. I sincerely believe that he needs to carry on for at least two years as I feel he is committed to his job like no other. Yes, one can have failures as he did in Australia recently but it appeared that the weight or the brunt of Pakistan’s batting stress seems to have fallen on his shoulders which is unfair. Apart from this blip, make no mistake, whenever Younis scores, the result is more than often a positive one for Pakistan.

The time has come for Misbah to move on

I have been saying this for a while and I will say it again. Misbah has done a tremendous service for Pakistan in the past. He took the reins of captaincy under very strenuous circumstances. However, where he has failed is in his inability to take the team that he built to the next level such that when he does leave, the next captain inherits a well-functioning unit. He needed to think about building a team for the future and should have thought carefully about what was needed for that. What he needed to have done is to have built a team which could succeed in places like New Zealand or Australia or South Africa.

In the history of Pakistan cricket, we had captains like Mushtaq Mohammad, Imran Khan and Javed Miandad who when they retired left a high-quality team for their successors to inherit and take forward. No other captain could achieve that. What we have now is a team which can only succeed under certain conditions, much like Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. You will do well in places which are familiar and the moment you come out of your comfort zone and get challenged, you will collapse in a heap. Misbah did a great job given the circumstances but, sadly, he was a failure in the longer run. Even Misbah will have realised that all his hard work has gone down the drain as he was never a forward thinker.

I do believe that it is time for him to move on but I have a suspicion that given his recent spate of losses he will want to stay on till the West Indies series to end his career on a high and it will really be up to the PCB to take whatever steps are necessary.

Amir Sohail and other people like him have been at the helm of Pakistani Cricket affairs. What is their contribution? We have to understand Misbahul Haq is a very senior player. He came into the Pakistani team a long time back but was not given continuous chance and exposure as he was quite a good batsman and powerful team members thought him as a threat to their power and position.
    Every cricket fan knows when he was made the Captain of the Pakistani team, it had reached the abyss. At that time Wasim Akram and Inzamam-ulHaq opposed his appointment and made fun of him. This very man took the Pakistani to the topmost position in cricket ratings. And now we are honouring him with insults. How generous and magnanimous we are!

Nobody is faultless but we must understand the situation in which Misbah took the charge of the Pakistani team. He does not have the luxury of having batsmen like Inzimam and Salman Butt,neither bowlers like Wasim,Waqar, Shoaib Akhter,Saqlain Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed. With this ragtag team he has achieved so much. Shouldn't we be thankful to him and give him his due share of respect,honour and love? Even if we have say him goodbye it should be with all the respect,love and honour due to him
    Last edited by jeetu; 12th January 2017 at 09:27.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love these posts/interviews/criticism coming from everyone after 1 bad series that to against Australia..
    Someone who kept our cricket alive is getting so much hate😅 dragged us through the mess our team/management had created.

Anyways, in my opinion he deserves to go out on a high, let him win us the series vs WI & go..

And then we will train another captain, because we don't have a backup for captaincy or for our famous collapses.😒

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah will be praised after WI series.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mushy wasn't involved with Yasir in Australia so the point being made is irrelevant.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordJames View Post
    Mushy wasn't involved with Yasir in Australia so the point being made is irrelevant.
    Yes not invovled in Australia.. but had a long company with yasir in many tours and series yet yasir has not learned the art of leg spin (real spin) bowling..Either Mushy can teach leg spin or he knows leg spin is the answer.. Even Warne has said that he has to improve on spinning the ball, somewhat along the same lines as complete his action as aamir said... This has been a deficiency hit on Yasir... Pak had good players of spin, but still Lyon is S/R and avg is better than Yasir's in this series can sum things up for all..I feel sorry for Yasir as he was forced to play in Sydney even though he is struggling.. Should have tried Asghar in his place for a change...

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTSPOKEN View Post

Amir Sohail and other people like him have been at the helm of Pakistani Cricket affairs. What is their contribution? We have to understand Misbahul Haq is a very senior player. He came into the Pakistani team a long time back but was not given continuous chance and exposure as he was quite a good batsman and powerful team members thought him as a threat to their power and position.
    Every cricket fan knows when he was made the Captain of the Pakistani team, it had reached the abyss. At that time Wasim Akram and Inzamam-ulHaq opposed his appointment and made fun of him. This very man took the Pakistani to the topmost position in cricket ratings. And now we are honouring him with insults. How generous and magnanimous we are
    !

Nobody is faultless but we must understand the situation in which Misbah took the charge of the Pakistani team. He does not have the luxury of having batsmen like Inzimam and Salman Butt,neither bowlers like Wasim,Waqar, Shoaib Akhter,Saqlain Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed. With this ragtag team he has achieved so much. Shouldn't we be thankful to him and give him his due share of respect,honour and love? Even if we have say him goodbye it should be with all the respect,love and honour due to him
    Lame excuse..

MisbahulHaq cant come in because they had Inzi, Ijaz, Moyo and Younis khan was batting at no.6 in Shafiqs place...And Misbahul Haq was not like Fawad alam or Sadaf hussain of this time breaking all domestic records.. He was not competitive enough to be in the team is the reality behind it..

One thing all have to agree is that Misbah ul Haq in his full tenure of captaincy has not travelled to England and Australia for test matches... England played Pak twice in UAE before pak tour them... Pak after 2010 has toured only now in end of 2016 which is nearly 7 years.. This is a setback for any captain and he rightly failed in australia

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordJames View Post
    If you read what Aamir said he was referring to their old partnership

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with most parts except YK to carry on for other 2 years.
    Its time for him to retire and give chance to younger players.

And BTW none of captains of Pakistan left with balanced team and other player to carry on the captaincy. None of captain groomed a player to be captain of team once they leave.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asim2Good View Post

And BTW none of captains of Pakistan left with balanced team and other player to carry on the captaincy. None of captain groomed a player to be captain of team once they leave.
    Pakistan will struggle even in UAE for another 2 years.. Losing 2 experienced players at the same time leaves a big hole... Pak in ODIs after MISBAH and AFRIDI and SRL in tests and ODIs after Mahela and sanga still struggling..Remember Pak joke of an ODI side were able to beat SRL in SRL recently..

And BTW none of captains of Pakistan left with balanced team and other player to carry on the captaincy. None of captain groomed a player to be captain of team once they leave
    1990s and 2000s are a star studded team... And few of those stars are still playing and anyone can become a captain out of which only the biggest star given the captaincy.. Collapse started when pak think like aussies and handover reigns to Malik after Inzi when they still had MYK, MOYO, Afridi, Akthar and Razzaq...
    Last edited by ask_analyse_act; 12th January 2017 at 12:26.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan captain Aamir Sohail on Thursday identified the main problem which prevented leg-spinner Yasir Shah from performing in Australia during the recently concluded three-Test series.

Pakistan were whitewashed 3-0 by Australia and Yasir was only able to bag eight wickets in six innings.

Shane Warne frustrated by Yasir Shah’s negative tactics

“The biggest issue that I see with Yasir is that he does not finish his action, which is key for a leg-spinner to turn the ball away from a right-handed batsman,” explained Sohail. “Because of this issue, Yasir was unable to turn the ball against batsmen who use their feet well. As a result, he was found out too easily.”

The former left-handed opener also questioned the role of leg-spin legend Mushtaq Ahmed who had been helping Yasir for a very long time now.

“We had Mushtaq helping Yasir in the technical aspects for a while and that to me is the disappointing bit. Why is it that after such a long partnership with an experienced leg-spinner, Yasir is still struggling to turn the ball?” asked Sohail.

Steven Smith offers spin advice to Yasir Shah

He continued: “Mushtaq should have worked with Yasir on the art of leg-spin and we should have been reaping the rewards of that hard work in this series but that did not happen.”

On Amir’s ineffectiveness

Pakistan left-arm pacer Mohammad Amir also struggled and could only manage five wickets in the three Tests against Australia, and Aamer thinks he needs to learn to set-up batsmen to get them out.

“If we are being honest then we should admit that Amir had faults also,” said Sohail. “The final part of his action is not perfect and he is falling over to his left-side at the point of delivery. Regardless, the main issue is that he has not been able to swing to the ball. I feel his shortcomings were exposed in the Test series against Australia.”

Yasir Shah’s reaction to national anthem is all you need to see today

He added: “Like most fast-bowlers, he must work out and plan each of his six balls in the over. Beyond that, he needs to pay attention to ‘spell management’ whereby he needs to plan his four or six-over spell in detail. What our bowlers need to do is to learn to surprise the batsman and do that on a consistent basis if they are to succeed at this level.”

On Misbah

Pakistan Test captain Misbahul Haq was asked by the Pakistan Cricket Board to lead the team against New Zealand and Australia and Aamer thinks the recent losses will push the 42-year-old to stay till the Windies series to end his career on a high note.

“Misbah did a great job given the circumstances but, sadly, he was a failure in the longer run,” said Aamer. “Even Misbah would have realised that all his hard work has gone down the drain as he was never a forward thinker. I do believe that it is time for him to move on but I have a suspicion that, given his recent spate of losses, he will want to stay on till the West Indies series to end his career on a high and it will really be up to the PCB to take whatever steps are necessary.

Aamir Sohail wrote for PakPassion.net

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1292838/...ngs-australia/
    Last edited by MenInG; 12th January 2017 at 12:50.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    Pakistan will struggle even in UAE for another 2 years.. Losing 2 experienced players at the same time leaves a big hole... Pak in ODIs after MISBAH and AFRIDI and SRL in tests and ODIs after Mahela and sanga still struggling..Remember Pak joke of an ODI side were able to beat SRL in SRL recently..
    No we will not struggle in UAE as already have established players for UAE conditions in Azhar,Asad and to some extent Sarfraz. And Babar is ready as well atleast for these conditions. And even if we struggle then it ll b not more than 1-2 series and players ll get used to their new roles.

1990s and 2000s are a star studded team... And few of those stars are still playing and anyone can become a captain out of which only the biggest star given the captaincy.. Collapse started when pak think like aussies and handover reigns to Malik after Inzi when they still had MYK, MOYO, Afridi, Akthar and Razzaq...
    Again none of captain left with balanced n ready team. Just look at team after Imran, most of players were new comers at test level.
    PCB did offered YK captaincy after Inzi but he rejected. Later MoYo had problems with board and went to ICL and that was downfall of his career too.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with most of his blah blah ...but not about Misbah...
    He did take 'em to next level...no 1.
    Name me a team of recent past which has held this spot for any real length of time...?
    Yes, Yes, there is one now which might carry on for a bit...so would I, if i only played my cricket in my own galli.

"Ghar mein to chuvva bhi sher hota hai.."

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    He did take us to the next level. We reached #1 for a brief moment.

Considering what he had to work with post spot-fixing, he's done better than any other captain would have in the same situation.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Misbah will be praised after WI series.
    If he shamelessly decides to stay on for the WI series in the first place, he doesn't deserve to ever be praised again.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    927 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Agree with most, but why should Younis continue?

He has no business being in the line up and time for him to go.

I hope misbah announces his retirement soon (albeit he won't) and Younis to retire after reaching the 10k milestone or after the WI series.

I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he hasn't made the side one that can match South Africa or the great Australian side.

However, his Team has done better than what any team from the 90s till the moment he took captaincy could ever do!

So, second only to Imran Khan, Misbah has done really well in this arena. Better than Amir Sohail's team could (was he in Tests at that time?).

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Undue credit is being given to Misbah for his professional approach to leadership. This is what he should be expected to do.

Pakistan team's mindset is still defensive, the openers are still struggling, plus in Misbah's time we have seen the fast bowlers plummet to an unprecedented level. Inzamam was known as a defensive and weak captain but even in his time Pakistan won a fair amount of matches in home/similar conditions. Like Misbah, Inzi also often relied on his bowlers (Kaneria/Akhtar/Rana Naved etc) to win.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan rising to no 1 in the Test rankings was probably more due to playing a lot of matches in UAE in a short span of time and some other teams going through a particularly bad patch.

He lacks aggression which is something this team requires the most at this moment in time.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketfan11 View Post
    Undue credit is being given to Misbah for his professional approach to leadership. This is what he should be expected to do.

Pakistan team's mindset is still defensive, the openers are still struggling, plus in Misbah's time we have seen the fast bowlers plummet to an unprecedented level. Inzamam was known as a defensive and weak captain but even in his time Pakistan won a fair amount of matches in home/similar conditions. Like Misbah, Inzi also often relied on his bowlers (Kaneria/Akhtar/Rana Naved etc) to win.
    yaar inzi bhai barely ever had a first choice bowling attack..he had to make sure he made runs with yusuf and yk..with afridi providing some pinch hitting..

Misbah has ad a full on variable bowling attack..inzi would have won many more matches with this lot..

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is useless to talk about his retirement. If he wanted to he would do after 2nd test if not 3rd. His silence already telling us he is not willing to retire. His retirement drama after 2nd test was just eye wash

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    If he shamelessly decides to stay on for the WI series in the first place, he doesn't deserve to ever be praised again.
    People will forget by then after PSL glamour. None of our players are selfless apart from Imran Khan. I remember even Miandad, Malik, Inzi, Akram, Waqar etc had to be kicked out back them when finished