Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    649 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

South Africa beat Sri Lanka by an innings and 118 runs in the 3rd Test

South Africa Squad
    F du Plessis*, HM Amla, T Bavuma, SC Cook, TB de Bruyn, Q de Kock†, JP Duminy, D Elgar, KA Maharaj, D Olivier, WD Parnell, VD Philander, K Rabada

Sri Lanka Squad
    AD Mathews*, JRMWS Bandara, PVD Chameera, LD Chandimal†, DM de Silva, ANPR Fernando, HMRKB Herath, FDM Karunaratne, CBRLS Kumara, RAS Lakmal, BKG Mendis, MDK Perera, MDKJ Perera, JK Silva, WU Tharanga

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Den of RCB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amla's 100th test, going to be a pacer-friendly wicket

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excited to see what Duanne Olivier can do.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandiasza View Post
    Excited to see what Duanne Olivier can do.
    Just checked his fc stats.

Guy has incredible numbers. Where has he been all this time?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hope one of these excess Saffer bowlers hop on to India by some Kolpak deal equivalent.

Waiting to see the first white cricketer to play for an asian team.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post

I have no idea. I don't really follow the provincial cricket. Going by his numbers though, he looks like the real deal.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Johannesburg
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We haven't exactly had an open spot for a seamer in the side. But he was our best bowler in the A tour to Australia. I expect good things from the lad.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should check Philander's stats before he got selected for a test match. I believe he was averaging around 20 as a bowler.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    779 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I hope one of these excess Saffer bowlers hop on to India by some Kolpak deal equivalent.

Waiting to see the first white cricketer to play for an asian team.
    India are gonna have to join the EU then. Take our place.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Herath the destroyer has been stomped on by The Mighty #.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    AMLA CELEBRATES HIS TON OF TESTS IN PERFECT STYLE

Thursday, 12 January 2017

HASHIM AMLA emulated the performance of Graeme Smith at The Oval in 2012 in scoring a century in his 100th Test match on the opening day of the final Sunfoil Test match against Sri Lanka at the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium on Thursday.

On that famous weekend in London the Standard Bank Proteas achieved one of the biggest victories in the history of Test cricket, winning by an innings after losing only two wickets. That occasion also witnessed Hashim Amla’s unbeaten treble century – the only one ever achieved by a South African – and few would bet against something similar from Amla this weekend.

By the close he had made an unbeaten 125 (221 balls, 16 fours) and shared a third wicket record partnership against Sri Lanka of 292 with JP Duminy (155 off 221 balls, 19 fours). It was Amla’s 26th Test century, one behind Smith, and Duminy’s sixth. It was a second century for both of them against these particular opponents.

The previous best for the third wicket against Sri Lanka was the 204 of Alviro Petersen and Jacques Kallis.

It meant the Proteas, after winning the toss on a lively pitch, had put 338/3 on the board at a very healthy run rate of 3.75.

Just how valuable this partnership between Amla and Duminy was became evident when Sri Lanka took the second new ball and conceded only 25 runs and captured the wicket of Duminy. There was plenty of bounce and seam movement as there had been during the first 30 overs of the South African innings when they lost the wickets of both their opening batsmen.

As Amla stated afterwards it was the sort of pitch on which you felt you were never properly in.

There was one crystal clear statistic. Amla took 60 balls to score his first 20 runs when conditions were extremely difficult and then made the remaining 80 runs needed to reach his century off a mere 100 more deliveries.

Once Amla hit his straps – and he will be the first to acknowledge the contribution of Duminy who kept the scoreboard moving rapidly while he was settling in – there was no stopping him. He should have been dismissed on 4 when Dhananjaya de Silva dropped a regulation gulley catch shortly before lunch but, as always, had little problem in putting the memory of that moment behind him.

He played a critical role in making sure that Sri Lanka’s ace spinner, Rangana Herath, never had the chance to settle – 67 runs in 14 overs without a maiden – which put a lot more pressure on the Sri Lankan seamers.

Amla will undoubtedly dominate the day one headlines but on any other day he would have had to share them with Duminy.

As had been the case at PPC Newlands in the previous Test match Lahiru Kumara was the standout Sri Lankan bowler and it remains a mystery that he does not get first crack with the new ball. He made life difficult for the Proteas throughout the day.

The Proteas gave a first Test cap to Duanne Olivier – the 94th South African to represent the Proteas in this format – at the expense of Keshav Maharaj and, judging by the behaviour of the pitch to date it was a good decision. Olivier got his first taste of life at this level when he was sent in as night watchman after Duminy was dismissed.

Faf du Plessis underlined his highly encouraging captaincy style when for the second time in the series he opted to bat first on a pitch that was clearly going to help the seamers on the first day at least. It was a tremendous – and justified – vote of confidence in his top order. His bat first policy will certainly go down well with cricket purists around the world.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

he's a good bowler but those numbers are a bit misleading. The stats include provincial games, a tier below Franchise cricket (SA's first class cricket competition known as the Sunfoil series) and first class matches against the likes of Namibia.

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It's over.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bavuma's not having the best series.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well played Amla

and a good catch

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol

What a collapse

Still they in a excellent position though

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Johannesburg
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    Lol

What a collapse

Still they in a excellent position though
    I think they went overboard with the pitch. I expect Sri Lanka to fold like a wrinkled old map.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    779 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Decent first over from debutant Olivier. Operating at around 135KPH so far.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    779 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    What a drive from Mendis. Has had a quiet tour so far but he's made abdecent start and should look to convert. Timing the ball well and leaving well too.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    VERNON PHILANDER and Kagiso Rabada took two wickets apiece as the Standard Bank Proteas tightened their grip on the second day of the final Sunfoil Test match against Sri Lanka at the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium on Friday.

When bad light caused an early close the visitors had reached 80/4 in their first innings in reply to the Proteas total of 426 all out which appears to be a well above par total.

Just how much the 292-run partnership between Hashim Amla and JP Duminy means to the home side became evident throughout the second day as the Proteas lost 5/60 in the morning session as the playing surface appeared to be becoming increasingly venomous, more than justifying Faf du Plessis’ decision to bat first.

Du Plessis himself was hit numerous times on the body during his brief innings and he, Amla and Vernon Philander all fell to deliveries from Nuwan Pradeep that bordered on the unplayable. In all, 11 wickets fell on the second day.

If one excludes the stand between Amla and Duminy there has been no partnership in the match to reach 50 which shows just how difficult batting has been. Sri Lanka have had only three partnerships of 50 or more in the series to date and it is unlikely that this statistic is going to show much improvement over the remainder of the series.

Philander and Rabada have now taken 31 wickets between them in the series to date at averages that are in the low teens. They were well supported by the recalled Wayne Parnell and new cap Duanne Olivier although neither of the latter two managed to take a wicket.

Sri Lanka at least won the morning session when Prasad put in a superb spell to 4 wickets for a single run. But the damage done by Amla and Duminy meant that they were still going to be well behind in the overall match situation.

Amla finally fell for 134 (265 balls, 16 fours), thereby almost restoring his career average back to the 50 mark – it currently stands at 49.99.
    Prasad finished with figures of 4/78 and would have had a fifer but for another dropped catch while the deserving Lahiru Kumara (4/107) also picked a four-wicket haul and now has 11 wickets from his two appearances in the series.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a single 100-run partnership for Sri Lanka in the test series so far. Scary

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Parnell bowling rubbish.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Johannesburg
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parnell bowling rubbish.
    As per the usual. I know he's done well in Domestics but he's just not cut out for test cricket. He's lost his pace and wicket taking ability.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lakmal feeling generous.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parnell bowling rubbish.
    Boils my blood having to watch Parnell bowl tripe, when I could have been watching Kyle Abbott

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffer_XIII View Post
    As per the usual. I know he's done well in Domestics but he's just not cut out for test cricket. He's lost his pace and wicket taking ability.
    I agree. He's more than welcome to play T20 and ODIs though. He's quite handy in those formats.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    Boils my blood having to watch Parnell bowl tripe, when I could have been watching Kyle Abbott
    Meh, those chicken runners can go screw themselves. We'll work with people who want to be here/are proud to be here.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Abudhabi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Srilanka are so rubbish it is not even funny

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately Abbott decided to abandon his country for money.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magician View Post
    Unfortunately Abbott decided to abandon his country for money.
    to be fair to Abbott, he wasn't going to get too many chances in the long run. With only 5 'White' players allowed in the XI, it was going to be difficult for him to break in consistently.

Having said that, I get why Saffas would be annoyed with Kyle. He could have worked on his bowling to ensure that he becomes the 1st choice 'white' pace bowler when Steyn retires.

Just a shame that he had to become the 1st choice 'white' pace bowler, and not the 1st choice South African bowler.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    SA is really good in these conditions. Even the likes of Parnell are swinging it.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    779 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Sri Lanka have not competed all in this match. Shudder to think what's in store for them in the LOIs.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Parnell's economy rate is 5.4

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a catch by JP!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    to be fair to Abbott, he wasn't going to get too many chances in the long run. With only 5 'White' players allowed in the XI, it was going to be difficult for him to break in consistently.

Having said that, I get why Saffas would be annoyed with Kyle. He could have worked on his bowling to ensure that he becomes the 1st choice 'white' pace bowler when Steyn retires.

Just a shame that he had to become the 1st choice 'white' pace bowler, and not the 1st choice South African bowler.
    What does an x amount of white players have to do with Abbott?
    SA play 3 seamers and one spinner.
    Rabada and Philander are superior bowlers irrespective of colour. Then you have Steyn.
    That's 3 world class seamers, where does race fit in?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Done in 3 days. Damn.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wow ,thought Lanka were decent in first test but this is bad.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Johannesburg
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this has certainly been a boring series. But happy to see us dominate at home.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soso_killer View Post
    What does an x amount of white players have to do with Abbott?
    SA play 3 seamers and one spinner.
    Rabada and Philander are superior bowlers irrespective of colour. Then you have Steyn.
    That's 3 world class seamers, where does race fit in?
    South Africa will always keep producing enough gun fast bowlers, it's the batting that is a bit of a concern. That and the 25-29 age group all going Kolpak when much of their existent team have maybe only 4 years left at most is something to think about. Rilee going is a blow but I've heard good things about De Bruyn.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    SL has been utter trash in batting in this series. No fight ...

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They got out twice in 90 overs? That's execrable....

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rollingstoned View Post
    South Africa will always keep producing enough gun fast bowlers, it's the batting that is a bit of a concern. That and the 25-29 age group all going Kolpak when much of their existent team have maybe only 4 years left at most is something to think about. Rilee going is a blow but I've heard good things about De Bruyn.
    Exactly SA is a bowling nation. I could understand Rilley, if JP is good enough to play Tests so is he.
    Bowlers have it tough. Race has nothing to do.
    Another example is that Bavuma should be dropped for AB in NZ. We've been told the quota is flexible, I'd be upset if we compromise our chances in England and NZ.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could've been a more competitive series. Pitch doctoring eventually removed all threats of Lankan spinners. Alas.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Venue
    united Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Caught a little bit of this test.. Rabada bowled some out of this world deliveries.. Class bowler at such a young age.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exactly SA is a bowling nation. I could understand Rilley, if JP is good enough to play Tests so is he.
    Bowlers have it tough. Race has nothing to do.
    Another example is that Bavuma should be dropped for AB in NZ. We've been told the quota is flexible, I'd be upset if we compromise our chances in England and NZ.
    Agree about Bavuma. Although, I would have him play in NZ. He deserves another chance. If he fails the first test, replace him with AB for the rest and ENG.
    Last edited by Ozymandiasza; 14th January 2017 at 14:55.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    PROTEAS SEAMERS WRAP UP INNINGS VICTORY AND SERIES CLEAN SWEEP

Saturday, 14 January 2017

THE Standard Bank Proteas’ pace bowling quartet claimed 16 wickets between them on day three to bowl their side to an innings and 118 runs victory over Sri Lanka in the final Sunfoil Test match at the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium on Saturday and complete a 3-0 series clean sweep with more than two days to spare.

The wickets where shared between all four with the recalled Wayne Parnell taking 6 wickets in the match while new cap Duanne Olivier took 5 wickets on debut.

Kagiso Rabada finished the series with 19 wickets and Vernon Philander with 17 while the top order batsmen did a repeat of the previous series in Australia with five different batsmen scoring centuries. One of them, Dean Elgar, finished leading runs scorer in the series (308 runs at 61.60) to be named Sunfoil Player of the Series.

JP Duminy was named Sunfoil Man of the Match for his innings of 155 which contributed to the 292-run partnership with Hashim Amla to set up the platform from which the bowlers were able to strike for victory.

A feature of the final day’s play was the catching of the home side with Duminy and Faf du Plessis both pulling off brilliant efforts.

Dimuth Karunaratne delayed the inevitable with a half-century in the second innings and was one of only three half-centuries that Sri Lanka made in the series such was the dominance of the South African bowlers.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    "pitch doctoring" yet centuries where scored throughout this series (Elgar, Amla, Cook, QdK).
    I remember one particular series where only one player scored a ton. 300 only passed once as a batting unit.
    Now that was pitch doctoring.
    How can an opening bat be the leading run score on doctored pitches in SA? Man of the series at that.

For the moaners, we haven't had home advantage since the early 2000's. That's about to change, get used to it.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Abudhabi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "pitch doctoring" yet centuries where scored throughout this series (Elgar, Amla, Cook, QdK).
    I remember one particular series where only one player scored a ton. 300 only passed once as a batting unit.
    How can an opening bat be the leading run score on doctored pitches in SA? Man of the series at that.

For the moaners, we haven't had home advantage since the early 2000's. That's about to change, get used to it.
    Yeah no pitch doctoring thats why teams used to get bundled fir sub 100 scores.win toss ,put opposition in,bowl them cheaply in first innings from which they cannot recover is their plan.it is going on since decades but only if others fo it it is pitch doctoring but if they do it it is not.please come out from the lala land u r inhabiting

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well captain Faf has proudly accepted that the pitches were tampered with to remove the "Herath threat". Funny that a top team has to resort to such means to counter a 40 year old unfit spinner belonging to a team that features at the bottom of the ranking table.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sri Lanka will soon be minnows (if they aren't already).

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    SL lasted 45 and 42 overs, that is not even a full day.

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Statsman View Post
    Well captain Faf has proudly accepted that the pitches were tampered with to remove the "Herath threat". Funny that a top team has to resort to such means to counter a 40 year old unfit spinner belonging to a team that features at the bottom of the ranking table.
    That is what SL did to Australia when they got whitewashed 3-0. India does that, NZ did that and so on. Faf was just nice enough to admit that.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drreddymd View Post
    Yeah no pitch doctoring thats why teams used to get bundled fir sub 100 scores.win toss ,put opposition in,bowl them cheaply in first innings from which they cannot recover is their plan.it is going on since decades but only if others fo it it is pitch doctoring but if they do it it is not.please come out from the lala land u r inhabiting
    Actually SA won the toss and chose to bat.
    For the record, all sub 100 scores were against Western nations. Australia's collapsed in the third innings with a lead of 120+

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't have changed a thing if pitches were less green. Herath might have picked up a couple of extra wickets but Sri Lanka would still get smashed.

Pakistan got similarly doctored pitches in New Zealand but if we had gotten normal New Zealand pitches, we actually had a chance of winning the series.

When you see how everyone else folded, the quality of the centuries scored by Amla and Duminy becomes clear.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Disappointing stuff from lanka.. their near future is not looking very bright

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Really depressing performance. In old times, I saw Asian teams struggling in early part of Series, then competing in later parts. Now, all 3 teams are gradually fading away with time - PAK was horrible in last 2 Tests, here SRL, couple of years back IND ran away in last 3 Tests in UK, lost the 2nd Test to SAF instead of first Test & I think, we'll have a hiding in 2nd Test .........

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha. you are so defensive when it comes to SA cricket.

Firstly, I think you're talking about the India series. So to put things right, 3 centuries were scored by the Indians, and the Indians crossed 200 on all but one innings, but SA couldn't even do it in one innings. SA would have lost 3-0 whatever the pitch.

As for SA's doctoring, Faf made it clear that they doctored pitches to negate the Herath threat. So get off your high horse.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    haha. you are so defensive when it comes to SA cricket.

Firstly, I think you're talking about the India series. So to put things right, 3 centuries were scored by the Indians, and the Indians crossed 200 on all but one innings, but SA couldn't even do it in one innings. SA would have lost 3-0 whatever the pitch.

As for SA's doctoring, Faf made it clear that they doctored pitches to negate the Herath threat. So get off your high horse.
    Sorry to disappoint you mate, One player managed to score a ton, that's Rahane.
    One player averaged beyond 40.
    India were issued a warning, SA were not.
    Are we even trying to compare conditions?
    LOL, since when does getting dismissed for paltry 200 scores a benchmark? Again a bit of fact checking would be nice, SA did cross 200 in that series.

Did SA exercise home advantage? Yes they did, were pitches altered to the extreme that even the home side struggled? No, I wouldn't think so since 6 of SA bats averaged beyond 40 this series.
    Nice try though

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, since when does getting dismissed for paltry 200 scores a benchmark? Again a bit of fact checking would be nice, SA did cross 200 in that series.

Did SA exercise home advantage? Yes they did, were pitches altered to the extreme that even the home side struggled? No, I wouldn't think so since 6 of SA bats averaged beyond 40 this series.
    Nice try though
    So you doctored the pitch to negate SL bowlers, which helped SA batsmen.

We doctored pitches so that only good batsmen of spin could take wickets, which helped us.

The average doesnt matter. You doctored pitches intentionally just as India did. So you can get off your moral high horse.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice try though
    Oh, and you didnt score 200 in any completed test. Only in the one test which was washed out, and India was 85 for no loss.

You had 0 100s, to India's 2.

Again, your batting and bowling were not as good as India's and you need to accept the truth.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    So you doctored the pitch to negate SL bowlers, which helped SA batsmen.

We doctored pitches so that only good batsmen of spin could take wickets, which helped us.

The average doesnt matter. You doctored pitches intentionally just as India did. So you can get off your moral high horse.
    Actually SA bats scoring runs does matter. It proves conditions were not impossible for batting.
    Not the case in India where Indian bats struggled against third rate spinners who wouldn't even make a Ranji second XI.
    Then there's the little mater of India getting a warning from the ICC (which shouldn't be taken lightly).
    Using home advantage is one thing (even the English did, difference is they were scoring runs against Australia like SA has), altering conditions beyond their characteristics to the point that home batsman struggle to nothing bowlers is beyond pathetic. That's what I would label as doctoring.
    Maybe we're arguing semantics here, we could have different views on what doctoring is.
    But it would be ridiculous if you're comparing conditions. The pitches in India were diabolical (even for the home side), on the other hand we've had good surfaces for this series (albeit for the home side, Sri Lanka did the same against Australia they won't complain).

Have we reached a consensus? SA used home advantage which in your view is doctoring. India were ridiculous and completely altered conditions which is criminal. Agree?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Oh, and you didnt score 200 in any completed test. Only in the one test which was washed out, and India was 85 for no loss.

You had 0 100s, to India's 2.

Again, your batting and bowling were not as good as India's and you need to accept the truth.
    Now the narrative is changing after getting caught in a lie? Where is the third hundred?
    Across 4 Tests only one player scoring a hundred makes for good reading?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Results for SL are not surprising but lack of fight and meek surrender is a concern

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually SA bats scoring runs does matter. It proves conditions were not impossible for batting.
    Not the case in India where Indian bats struggled against third rate spinners who wouldn't even make a Ranji second XI.
    Then there's the little mater of India getting a warning from the ICC (which shouldn't be taken lightly).
    Using home advantage is one thing (even the English did, difference is they were scoring runs against Australia like SA has), altering conditions beyond their characteristics to the point that home batsman struggle to nothing bowlers is beyond pathetic. That's what I would label as doctoring.
    Maybe we're arguing semantics here, we could have different views on what doctoring is.
    But it would be ridiculous if you're comparing conditions. The pitches in India were diabolical (even for the home side), on the other hand we've had good surfaces for this series (albeit for the home side, Sri Lanka did the same against Australia they won't complain).

Have we reached a consensus? SA used home advantage which in your view is doctoring. India were ridiculous and completely altered conditions which is criminal. Agree?
    Changing conditions to suit your strength or to negate the opposition is doctoring. The extent to which its done doesnt matter. Though I agree that 2 rank turners in a 4 test series is a bit OTT. I am completely for at least 1 rank turner like you had at Nagpur.

Dont care what the ICC says. Our pitches, our game. If you have the skills to beat us at our game, kudos to you. If you dont, stop whining.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now the narrative is changing after getting caught in a lie? Where is the third hundred?
    Across 4 Tests only one player scoring a hundred makes for good reading?
    For some reason I though Kohli's 88 in the final test was actually a 100.

And no, the narrative have not changed. Had we bated a full innings at Bangalore, we would have probably scored 500 and inflicted an innings defeat. But we didnt get to bat, so what you did in that test doesnt matter either.

We had 2 100s in a 3 test series. You had 0.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Changing conditions to suit your strength or to negate the opposition is doctoring. The extent to which its done doesnt matter. Though I agree that 2 rank turners in a 4 test series is a bit OTT. I am completely for at least 1 rank turner like you had at Nagpur.

Dont care what the ICC says. Our pitches, our game. If you have the skills to beat us at our game, kudos to you. If you dont, stop whining.
    My definition of doctoring conditions is to completely alter the conditions and the nature of the surface.
    For example since the beginning of time India has played 256 matches at home averaging 36 runs a wicket.
    Since SA's readmission to international cricket (I used 92, January instead of 91 since SA played their first Test that year (April?)) India have played 110 matches averaging averaging 40 runs a wicket.

Now let's look at SA at home. Since the beginning they've played 220 averaging 31 runs a wicket. Since reintegration they've played 122 averaging 36 runs a wicket.

India against SA averaged 26 runs a wicket, which is well below the national average historically or the modern era.
    South Africa against Sri Lanka averaged 40 runs a wicket. Which is in range to the national average.

For a team to average 14 runs less per wicket suggests to me that something was very wrong with those pitches irrespective of the quality of the opposition bowling (which was poor by the way). You can't go from averaging around 400 runs for the loss of 10 wickets to 260. Something is very wrong there, i would understand 32 runs a wicket i.e reaching 300+ on regular basis.

Now had SA drastically altered conditions we would have had the same problem as in India. That is a weak bowling attack looking world class. SA still managed to score above the national average (modern era) on tough pitches. That to me suggests that with the right application runs were possible on these surfaces, which wasn't the case in India (variable bounce and turn from day one).
    Even for argument sake, say SA made the same pitches for England or Australia. Yes I do admit that the average would be lower. But a differential of 14? I refuse to believe that, perhaps SA would have averaged around 30 which would have been acceptable (that's a difference of 6 which we can take). We did see that in second innings run scoring was possible (SA batted first in all the matches anyway).

It scares me to think what would have Herath averaged in the conditions SA got, or the runs per wicket.
    Another scenario is if SA invite a world class bowling unit. To negate this threat they make complete roads and earn a 0-0 all series draw.
    Suddenly they go from averaging 36 to 50 runs a wicket. That would be completely wrong and qualify as pitch doctoring.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Fact checking would have saved us some time. Basically you were wrong.
    And no, the narrative have not changed. Had we bated a full innings at Bangalore, we would have probably scored 500 and inflicted an innings defeat. But we didnt get to bat, so what you did in that test doesnt matter either.
    That's irrelevant, you stated SA failed to cross 200 throughout the series. Then you changed the narrative about completed innings and Test matches. Whether India would have scored 500 or a thousand runs is speculative and irrelevant to the argument. Again you're proven wrong
    One centurion and two centuries in 55 completed innings makes for good reading? I don't get your angle hear, Rahane is the only player to average 40+ in the three Test you specify anyway. So what's your point?

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Abudhabi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is so disappointed with sa performance that he is getting night mares every day .thats why he is moaning about doctoring of pitches in every thread but conveniently overlooking what sa is doing since decades by laying green mambas which makes batting a lottery in 1st innings.the conditional drastically change from day 2 onwards and the advantage gained by skittling team in first innings is almost impossible to neutralize.atleast in spin pitches toss is not a factor

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Abudhabi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's irrelevant, you stated SA failed to cross 200 throughout the series. Then you changed the narrative about completed innings and Test matches. Whether India would have scored 500 or a thousand runs is speculative and irrelevant to the argument. Again you're proven wrong

One centurion and two centuries in 55 completed innings makes for good reading? I don't get your angle hear, Rahane is the only player to average 40+ in the three Test you specify anyway. So what's your point?
    Give it a rest mate.u r whining about pitches is nauseating.u r the most whining poster here.
    So what do u make out of only 3 half centuries by entire sl team in 60 innings?

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Abudhabi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even when whitewashed we never gave pitch excuses .we were very harsh on our own team and never whined about pitches

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drreddymd View Post
    Give it a rest mate.u r whining about pitches is nauseating.u r the most whining poster here.
    So what do u make out of only 3 half centuries by entire sl team in 60 innings?
    Read post 66. It's one of the best posts you'll ever read. It basically kills all arguments about "doctoring".

Sri Lanka failing is their inability to adapt to foreign conditions. Why did India struggle in their own conditions? That's the relevant question here. Whereas SA thrived in theirs. Anyway we're done here I've addressed everything in detail. I'm not gonna run around in circles.

(And for the last time if you can't find a way to immaculately state your case, ignore my posts. There's a reason Pakpassion has an ignore list)

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact is Faf is a guilty ball tamperer and admitted to asking for doctored pitches.

I would guess SL will respond in kind the next time SA come visiting.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If SA were not so rubbish on turning tracks, I would actually rank them as the number 1 team in the world. Great pace attack.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drawn series in uae, won series in Lanka and they may have beaten Bangladesh too so not exactly mugs against spin. Historically of the 'western teams', they tour India well generally but failed on perhaps the most turning tracks that India put out in a while which is no disgrace.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak_Fan View Post
    Sri Lanka will soon be minnows (if they aren't already).
    Rubbish, we'll continue stuffing Australia, New Zealand, England, West Indies and Zimbadesh at least at home, and at least Zimbabwe away from home.

It'll be a long time before we become a top 3 ranked test side that can win matches and perform well in overseas tours, like we were about 10 years ago. But minnowhood is a long long way off.

The only teams who can beat Sri Lanka in SL are India, Pakistan, and South Africa; until we become easybeats at home the team can't be called minnows.

I smash and grab and stash the cash in plastic bags
    With raps that have pizzazz

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
    Rubbish, we'll continue stuffing Australia, New Zealand, England, West Indies and Zimbadesh at least at home, and at least Zimbabwe away from home.

It'll be a long time before we become a top 3 ranked test side that can win matches and perform well in overseas tours, like we were about 10 years ago. But minnowhood is a long long way off.

The only teams who can beat Sri Lanka in SL are India, Pakistan, and South Africa; until we become easybeats at home the team can't be called minnows.
    Seriously? Was Lanka top 3 and performing well in overseas tours back in 2006-7?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A real low point for SL, exacerbated by playing the no1 team.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Congrats to SA. Poor stuff from our lot. Batting, bowling, fielding, captaincy all rubbish. Didn't even show a bit of fight that's the most worrying part. Mathews definitely needs to go. Not sure who is going to replace him but I see no point in waiting around any longer. Better off taking a punt and giving someone like Chandi a go at this point.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously? Was Lanka top 3 and performing well in overseas tours back in 2006-7?
    Yes. That was our best team ever, mid-00s. Marvan, Jayasuriya, Sanga, Mahela, Dilshan, Samaraweera, Prasanna Jayawardene is certainly the best Sri Lankan batting unit assembled. With the ball there was obviously Murali and Vaas, who found some decent support from Malinga and Dilhara Fernando, forming the finest bowling attack we have ever produced. Genuinely a quality side from top to bottom.

Almost half of all our away wins came in the mid-00s. Compare the selected period to the overall record.

In my opinion the standout team of 2002-2008 was Australia, then South Africa a long way behind, then Sri Lanka and India equal third with England just behind in fifth place. The numbers support my point. India won just two tests more than SL in that period despite playing 16 more matches than SL. England won 12 tests more than SL in 28 extra tests. I believe if they had gotten the same number of opportunities, Sri Lanka would have won more matches than India and England both between 2002-08.

I smash and grab and stash the cash in plastic bags
    With raps that have pizzazz

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SL_Fan View Post
    Congrats to SA. Poor stuff from our lot. Batting, bowling, fielding, captaincy all rubbish. Didn't even show a bit of fight that's the most worrying part. Mathews definitely needs to go. Not sure who is going to replace him but I see no point in waiting around any longer. Better off taking a punt and giving someone like Chandi a go at this point.
    What has happened to Mathews? He was a world class batsman. He looks so ordinary these days.