Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

How to be a good fielder/catcher? Any tips?

I am a terrible fielder

And since ive started hard ball its only been exposed more

I usually hide my self at third man or fine leg so dont see many catches come my way etc but generally how can I become a better fielder jugaaru quick way

Dont need to be good either

Just hold onto catches and stuff

Funnily enough ive got a great throw so fine there and do well in the deep till a catch comes inevitable

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's your ground fielding like?

The only way to get better is practice, which is a boring answer. My sneaky tip is to try to field at mid-off or mid-on. Why?

First of all, the majority of changes that go there are easy to judge because the batsman drives and you get a really clean view of it unlike edges at slip or a square cut to point.

Secondly, it's better than hiding in the deep because there the chances that come your way are often top edged slogs that hang in the air for ages and give you time to think of all the ways that you could mess it up. Mid-off and mid-on puts your far enough to not be worried for your safety while being close enough that you don't psyche yourself into dropping it.

Thirdly, and most importantly, you never have to run too far between overs

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I improved my fielding skills mostly via rebound net and playing sports which need quick reflexion, e.g. table tennis.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Depends which kind of fielder you are.

There are two kinds of fielders imo.
    1) who stand outside the circle
    2) who stand inside the circle.

The fielder outside the circle is those who have good strong throws. But they need to be able to hold on to airborne catches

The fielder inside the circle are from the atheletic lot. You need to have quick reflexes and ability to take quick catches and make full dives and be quick on ur toes to stop the singles.

For inside the circle fielding what you should is, stand infront of a ball, take a tape ball in ur hand and stand like a slip fielder. Keep throwing the ball on the wall and keep catching it back. Gradually increase speed. Your reflexes sharpen this way. I have done this kind of training alot. I use to do it as fan and i was able to develop as a good atheletic fielder only because of this.

For long catches, use tape ball and ask some to hit the ball in the air and let you catch. Start with tape ball then move on to hard ball. Do catching with a new hard ball as its soft and easy to catch and doesn't hurt

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The most important part is to find a way to enjoy fielding. If you find it to be a chore then you're never going to be good at it or get the best out of fielding practice.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 tips: Energy, Focus, Bravery, Fitness, Practice.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Approach the ball even if its coming straight to you only. Imagine you are going to pounce on the ball rather than you going to stop or hold it. While ground fielding stretch your hands(not like school exercise though) slightly in front of your body first then transfer you body weight completely on your lower part of the body. Kneel or dive as required.Final step judge the bounce and move hands as required. Remember you r hands should be over the ball while gathering. Hands should be as close to your body while collecting as you feel you are on top of it. Collecting ball away from the body is common mistake found in poor fielders.
    Last edited by Pollack; 25th January 2017 at 16:38.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just practice it more and more.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Depends which kind of fielder you are.

There are two kinds of fielders imo.
    1) who stand outside the circle
    2) who stand inside the circle.

The fielder outside the circle is those who have good strong throws. But they need to be able to hold on to airborne catches

The fielder inside the circle are from the atheletic lot. You need to have quick reflexes and ability to take quick catches and make full dives and be quick on ur toes to stop the singles.

For inside the circle fielding what you should is, stand infront of a ball, take a tape ball in ur hand and stand like a slip fielder. Keep throwing the ball on the wall and keep catching it back. Gradually increase speed. Your reflexes sharpen this way. I have done this kind of training alot. I use to do it as fan and i was able to develop as a good atheletic fielder only because of this.

For long catches, use tape ball and ask some to hit the ball in the air and let you catch. Start with tape ball then move on to hard ball. Do catching with a new hard ball as its soft and easy to catch and doesn't hurt
    agreed but even the boyndary riders need to be quick and agile and dive around.
    thats y now at the death u see best fielders at long on n long off. also u see warner recently at dwep midwicket, for those catches which u haul back from beyond the rope and also very importantly cutting the 2s to 1s with ur anticipation and judgement of angles
    its all out fielding now.

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollack View Post
    Approach the ball even if its coming straight to you only. Imagine you are going to pounce on the ball rather than you going to stop or hold it. While ground fielding stretch your hands(not like school exercise though) slightly in front of your body first then transfer you body weight completely on your lower part of the body. Kneel or dive as required.Final step judge the bounce and move hands as required. Remember you r hands should be over the ball while gathering. Hands should be as close to your body while collecting as you feel you are on top of it. Collecting ball away from the body is common mistake found in poor fielders.
    lol if its coming straight at good pace and i charge on it then it may go through the legs

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Trust me man, mid-off.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am very good fielder since my early days. Honestly if I look into it it's the simplicity which makes my ground fielding safe. I keep my eyes on the ball and move accordingly by varying my pace and body movement. All you need to do is to be confident

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    lol if its coming straight at good pace and i charge on it then it may go through the legs
    Well by approach I do not necessarily mean to take few steps forwards always. If it is coming at rocket speed get into position early rather than after you see ball really near staying where you are or can even move backwards. Also if its going through legs then you are not having reflexes proportional to approaching ball and / or no proper technique.Watch good fielders is all you can do and try to copy them.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finger's Pointing Up Technique or Reverse Cup Technique. Which is better?

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    The one that doesnt break your fingers!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Depends, if the ball is coming like a bullet at your chest then you wouldn't want to use fingers pointing up

If the ball is very high then you'd probably want to use it.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?