Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"I will assess my fitness in PSL and domestic matches before the West Indies tour" : Misbah-ul-Haq

LAHORE: Emphasising age is not the real factor in sports and brushing aside the retirement talk from some quarters, beleaguered Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq on Thursday said he would assess his physical fitness level prior to the West Indies tour before deciding upon his international career.

“Obviously, some people were waiting to criticise me and finally, after six years they got this chance,” Misbah said while talking to reporters here on Thursday.

“Age does not matter [in sports]; it is the level of physical fitness which helps you to continue playing, and I will not announce my retirement at this stage. First, I will assess my fitness in the [coming] PSL and then in domestic matches for Faisalabad which are to be held before the West Indies tour,” said Misbah when asked whether his age of 42 years was the factor behind some critics seeking his retirement from cricket.

“After checking my fitness level as to where I stand, I will make up my mind about my [playing] future,” the Test captain stated and negated the impression that he was facing any pressure from certain quarters to announce retirement.

Pakistan’s Test and ODI teams and their captains are facing severe criticism at home from media as well as former cricketers after the recently-ended disastrous Australia tour during which Misbah’s team were whitewashed 0-3 while the ODI squad were crushed 1-4 in the five-match rubber. Prior to the Australia tour, Pakistan were swept clean 0-2 in the New Zealand Test series.

When asked some cricketers were in favour of wicket-keeper/batsman and national T20 skipper Sarfraz Ahmed named as Test captain too, Misbah was brief and restrained in his response, saying, “It is the domain of the PCB to appoint someone captain.”

Replying to a question who might be his suitable replacement as captain, Misbah avoided taking any name, saying as skipper it would not be appropriate for him to do so.

Reiterating his view on how to address the current woes of Pakistan cricket amid calls for removing the captain, Misbah reckoned changing one person could bring no positive results.

“In fact, we have to correct our cricket structure which has many weaknesses which I pinpointed in the past, too.”

Asked whether he had met PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan or chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq to discuss the option of retirement, Misbah said he did not meet the PCB chief. However, Misbah said he had a meeting with the chief selector during which no discussion on retirement was held.

Misbah also threw his support behind under-fire ODI skipper Azhar Ali — who has led Pakistan to mere 12 wins in 31 matches since being put at the helm in April 2015.

“With just one change [that of skipper] things will not be corrected as there is a need to change the [entire] system,” the Test captain insisted.

“We have abundance of talent but in order to raise this talent up to the international standard we need a very effective system,” Misbah said while repeating his notion on steering Pakistan cricket out of troubled waters.

Meanwhile, Misbah welcomed the PCB’s decision of inviting former cricket greats to a sitting in Lahore on March 6 and 7 to discuss on how to improve in Pakistan cricket which is presently facing a gloomy situation.

Legends like Imran Khan, Zaheer Abbas, Javed Miandad, Wasim Bari and among several other ex-players have been invited for the said meeting.

About Islamabad United’s chances in the upcoming PSL in which he will lead the defending champions, Misbah said every team would be vying to make the final. “Mine is a well-balanced side to defend the title.”

https://www.dawn.com/news/1312316/il...-future-misbah

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    SMCHS, Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    One word - Disappointed

Rather than domestic structures PCB should make resounding policies and a policing system on when a player has to call it quits.

Even if we make the best domestic system, it won't be any use at all when seniors who have very strong connections and links don't consider retiring when they're well 40+ years old.

I was not expecting this from Misbah

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Misbah continuing the selfish trend of Pakistani cricketers. The real question is, will Inzy take a stand and do whats required?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    No Misbah now creating grounds for his retirement.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As I've posted it on an other thread..

Misbah please don't lose your grace!!! You're talking like Shehzad or Akmal...

Just accept the fact that you're getting old , your mind and reflexes aren't supporting you and that is resulting in bad performance and bad captaincy...

And when it comes to One day captaincy Sir though the team is as poor as it can get but its all about mentality a small hearted fella can never be a good leader anyone needs to take bold steps and aggressive decision to be a successful leader..
    But Azhar never asked for captaincy to be given to him so Sir Misbah its your and your friend Waqar's fault that you've recommended a captain like Azhar...

The bad performance of the team is on you as well you never tried to establish players who can perform on any surfaces you just hung up onto the same bunch of guys your whole career and that resulted in bad ODI performance because the game had moved on and we got stuck onto the same bunch..

So please sir be as graceful as you've always been and just accept that you've done some mistakes as well and your career is at an end so please retire gracefully as a legend but not like this....please...

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports_Psychologist View Post
    As I've posted it on an other thread..

Misbah please don't lose your grace!!! You're talking like Shehzad or Akmal...

Just accept the fact that you're getting old , your mind and reflexes aren't supporting you and that is resulting in bad performance and bad captaincy...

And when it comes to One day captaincy Sir though the team is as poor as it can get but its all about mentality a small hearted fella can never be a good leader anyone needs to take bold steps and aggressive decision to be a successful leader..
    But Azhar never asked for captaincy to be given to him so Sir Misbah its your and your friend Waqar's fault that you've recommended a captain like Azhar...

The bad performance of the team is on you as well you never tried to establish players who can perform on any surfaces you just hung up onto the same bunch of guys your whole career and that resulted in bad ODI performance because the game had moved on and we got stuck onto the same bunch..

So please sir be as graceful as you've always been and just accept that you've done some mistakes as well and your career is at an end so please retire gracefully as a legend but not like this....please...
    We should allow him the dignity to leave at his own pace. We know he will leave but PCB kicking him out will be a sad day.

All signs are there that he is losing interest fast.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quite the gentleman.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    We should allow him the dignity to leave at his own pace. We know he will leave but PCB kicking him out will be a sad day.

Its up to Misbah whenever he chooses to retire but now after everything defending his decision about Azhar Ali as a captain is just not right, it was a mistake and he should accept that as waqar accepted it that Azhar isn't a good captain, Waqar was criticizing Azhar Ali a lot in that AUS vs Pak odi series,

I guess the perfect timing of Misbah's retirement was at that 3rd Australian test match he should've retired gracefully In that,

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wouldn't use the word "kicking out". Sometimes the player himself doesn't realise that his time is up and it's the duty of the management to do what's in the best interests of the team. Even if that means removing him as captain or from the team sheet.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

why would it be a sad day to kick out a 42 years old non performing captain whose team had 6 consecutive losses and has gone down to 6th in the rankings? And keeping in mind there is no quality opposition to face next.

Misbah should have retired before the Sydney test. Its shame he can be allowed to continue based on seniority complex we have.

Pakistan cricket is in shambles. I am strongly feeling the urge to move on from cricket and follow different sport. There is absolutely no hope in near future. Pakistan cricket is left behind in the past 5 years and yet we celebrate and make those people heroes who are responsible for our today's downfall.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This business that it's 'up to Misbah' whether he wants to play or not – that's rubbish - it's up to the selectors," Chappell said.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If he doesn't retire. It will be a very selfish decision.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Guys...Try to understand if he decides to retire right now then he won't be under PCB's central contract and he will loose couple of months pay and according to Noman Ijaz, he will be the new director of PSL after this season so chill out his friends in PCB are trying his best for his transition into management.

Tip for everyone, Never ever quit your job until you get the new job.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He does not want to leave, rather making excuses to stay another 3-4 years. This is because of SK and so called formers support. SK should man enough to kick both Misbah and Azhar and abolish players power. We gain nothing except grouping or force to stay the in team without performance. Other wise Sethi should do this job.

Knowing PCB both will remain as captain and we suffer more. But do they really care?

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSN View Post
    why would you not expect this from Misbah? His whole ODI career is built on his selfishness and the Mohali knock is the ultimate proof of how much he puts team ahead of himself. You have to be very naive to not understand all these years. Misbah was looking good to some people because we were playing non stop cricket at graveyards of UAE for 3 years after our pathetic display in SA,Zim on our last away cycle. Everything came to fell apart ever since Misbah lead his men outside UAE.
    Misbah wants to finish on a high. Same with Afridi, he would have retired after the T20 world cup if it was a good outing. It wasn't so good, so he wanted more matches to finish on a high. It's sad it means so much to cricketers. I think Misbah was reluctant to go on the Aus tour, but was persuaded to go by chairman and knew he'd be attacked for deserting the young team in Aus. I think he probably regrets going to aus now.

We've never won a WI series and we let a very good chance go to waste last time we toured WI. Misbah probably realises that he can try and win in WI and if he does at least he goes out making history. WI pitches will probably be easier than Aus pitches too.

I'm no Misbah hater, but I kind of agree with him being given ODI captaincy far too long. He kept losing series after series and no accountability. They should have tried someone else.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badsha001 View Post
    Guys...Try to understand if he decides to retire right now then he won't be under PCB's central contract and he will loose couple of months pay and according to Noman Ijaz, he will be the new director of PSL after this season so chill out his friends in PCB are trying his best for his transition into management.

Tip for everyone, Never ever quit your job until you get the new job.
    Misbah in management? Soon our team will be known as "Team of Veterans " average age 40

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's been a passenger in the side for the past six months and he's still contemplating his retirement

His captaincy serves no use to even a slight extent his batting certainly doesn't, either. So, what he's suggesting is that he'll continue predicated on his fitness rather than continuing on the basis of his form or reflexes.

Guess that means any-old fit guy can play cricket for Pakistan.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were never going to win in nz/aus

Losing to wi will be huge.

He better hope he performs along with the rest of the team or everything they've accomplished is going to be quickly forgotten .

Misbah being in the side also means a more of a chance hafeez returns.
    Last edited by jeetu; 3rd February 2017 at 07:32.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a selfish bloke he does not realize his stay would make it difficult for a new captain or new batsman to settle in when we have our away round in 2018.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    What a gentleman.

Hope he plays until 2025 and only retires after his pension arrangements are made.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoib View Post
    what a selfish bloke he does not realize his stay would make it difficult for a new captain or new batsman to settle in when we have our away round in 2018.
    This is the main reason why we going down so fast. If he played like AB, Amla then it is ok but he became burden with his tuktuk and throw wickets in crucial stage.

I am convince now PCB will not even remove Azhar.
    Last edited by jeetu; 3rd February 2017 at 07:34.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    why our players wait until they get insulted ? for godsake retire what is point of playing more ? all our important overseas tour have finished

New Era of Team Pakistan

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    enough of ur presence MISBAH... You will be labelled selfish if you cling on to it and block the way for an youngster... All ur retiring on a high will be shattered, Better please go now..

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which domestic tournament he was referring to as he will play for faisalabad?

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It all about the $$$$$$

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    One word - Disappointed

Rather than domestic structures PCB should make resounding policies and a policing system on when a player has to call it quits.

Even if we make the best domestic system, it won't be any use at all when seniors who have very strong connections and links don't consider retiring when they're well 40+ years old.

I was not expecting this from Misbah
    Two words

1-Disappointed

2-Selfish

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah should realize that's 4-5 good balls in West Indies can end his career rather abruptly. Better save his legacy.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your fitness is fine buddy. It's ur reflexes that are gone and can't be improved.

Anyway it shouldn't be ur choice to stay in the team. You have too much power.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you don;t care about future of Pakistan cricket, West Indies is not a bad place to take your family for vacation and Misbah is just doing that, free, paid vacations.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    It all about the $$$$$$
    Misbah will easily get a job after retirement. Either in business or PCB.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    As long as you don;t care about future of Pakistan cricket, West Indies is not a bad place to take your family for vacation and Misbah is just doing that, free, paid vacations.
    Why not wait til SA series so he can see the beautiful safaris once again?

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Misbah should realize that's 4-5 good balls in West Indies can end his career rather abruptly. Better save his legacy.
    On the contrary ,some runs in the slow WI pitches could be just the CPR he needs

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Your fitness is fine buddy. It's ur reflexes that are gone and can't be improved.

Anyway it shouldn't be ur choice to stay in the team. You have too much power.
    You are absolutely right, you can improve your fitness but not reflexes. I know this first hand, I'm in best shape of my life but every time I play league cricket match here, this harsh reality strikes me, can't play those shots anymore, which I could play so effortlessly some 15 years ago.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Yes, fitness is the key in the game like Cricket, not reflex & eye sight. Both Misbah & YK should make comeback in ODI & T20 as well; because I do believe even in 2023 these two will be fitter than Sharjeel, Shahzaib, Umar & Sarfu - therefore PCB should drop those 4 & bring Asad & Fawad as well & keep with Rizwan who is fitter than Sarfu.

Though this logic doesn't apply between Zulfi Babar & Asghar for other qualifier - buddy of ....
    Last edited by MMHS; 3rd February 2017 at 13:01.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCB wanted him to there in 2018 and he will be there.

Hafeez will be back too in the test team.

Hafeez
    Sami
    Azhar
    UK
    Misbah
    Asad

What a lineup for next 5 years.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just call it a day already. I'm starting to lose my respect for this guy.

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” Micheal Jordan

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    A 42 year old still not sure about retiring.

Everything that is wrong with Pakistani cricket in a nutshell.

The only thing he cares about is his money. He has no passion or ability left for the game so he will play match after match with that deflated grimace and non caring smile.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Should just say he will retire on WI tour.

I think he will retire there. And he should play the series too. One of our legends.

Don't understand the meltdown here, but that's expected by fickle fans.

If he says he wants to play after the wi tour, then yeah, by all means have a meltdown and resort to cheap name calling that some are doing now.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

I think he will retire there. And he should play the series too. One of our legends.

If he says he wants to play after the wi tour, then yeah, by all means have a meltdown and resort to cheap name calling that some are doing now.
    Please tell me how is Misbah one of our legends. Just because you call him one doesn't make him into a legend. What is his test record? Let's not even go in the LOI record.

He is an ok batsman at best.

Misbah has a test match average of 46 (10 -100s, 36 - 50s, HS:161*) despite playing on dead and placid pitches of UAE. In comparison our actual legends have these averages:

Maindad - 53 (23 - 100s, 43 - 50s, HS: 280*)
    Inzimam - 50 (25 - 100s, 46 - 50s, HS: 329)
    Yousuf - 52 (24 - 100s, 33 - 50s, HS: 223)
    Younis - 53 (34 - 100s, 32 - 50s, HS: 313)

All of those records are FAR better than what Misbah managed. I understand Misbah has been good for Pakistan cricket specially after the 2010 debacle, but he is no legend in any shape or form. An ok batsman and a good captain who is well past his sell-by-date but is still trying to hold on.

Demons run when a good man goes to war

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Syed1 okay, you're entitled to your opinion.

This thread is not discussing if he's a legend. The meltdown right now and name calling is cheap.

Do it if he doesn't retire on WI tour.

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He should have retired after the world cup.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Michigan, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So he will play till he is still fit? In that case bring back Wasim Akram.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Michigan, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post

How are you sure he will retire after the West Indies tour?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Cairo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't consider the West Indies series as a very easy one as we are yet to win there and they are reasonably competitive at home - however, this is the ideal chance to introduce a new captain so that he can take control of the team before the tougher challenges ahead in 2018/19.

Misbah is spoiling his legacy by hanging on now.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah is in danger of running his legacy by carrying on. If he retired now I think people would forget about the Aus/NZ tour soon, but if he carries on and we lose against West Indies that damage his legacy and reputation.

He has the fitness but the reflexes are gone, call it a day Misbah. You have served us well but your time is up.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Misbah is in danger of running his legacy by carrying on. If he retired now I think people would forget about the Aus/NZ tour soon, but if he carries on and we lose against West Indies that damage his legacy and reputation.

He has the fitness but the reflexes are gone, call it a day Misbah. You have served us well but your time is up.
    Losing in WI actually gives him the opportunity for another year - till 2018 summer.

I don't think he is going to retire after WI - he still has his last trick in his sleeve. By end of 2018 when PCB will finally decide to sack him - then he'll demand one last fair well series.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Losing in WI actually gives him the opportunity for another year - till 2018 summer.

I don't think he is going to retire after WI - he still has his last trick in his sleeve. By end of 2018 when PCB will finally decide to sack him - then he'll demand one last fair well series.
    There is one twist in the tale. PCB leadership is always determined by the government of the day, Pakistan is expected to have elections in 2018 (if Nawaz gets disqualified we may even have elections in last quarter of 2017). With Nawaz's disqualification there is a high chance the PML-N is severely dented in the elections and may not be able to form government in the center which means immediate termination of Shahryar and Sethi.

Hopefully the incoming government appoints competent people that reform the PCB. Which may mean some harsh (but desperately needed) decisions would be taken.

Demons run when a good man goes to war

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1891 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    players should be able to play as long as they want. but it's up-to selectors to select him or not. don't like the retirement thing in sports TBH.

ﺳُﺒْﺤَﺎﻥَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭﺍﻟْﺤَﻤْﺪُﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭَ ﻻ ﺍِﻟﻪَ ﺍِﻟَّﺎ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﻭَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﺍَﻛْﺒَﺮُ
    PCL 3 FC CHAMPIONS | Loose Cannons CC | #CannonsFire

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's obvious Misbah doesn't want to retire after a 6 game losing streak. It only enhances his legacy, that of a loser. Brought the ODI team down to #8, #6 in tests, lost to Zimbabwe, Mohali choke, T20 WC choke, has not built a team for the future, played his friends over more deserving players.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Michigan, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From the looks of Misbah's mentality he won't really give up playing his cricket based on the results of the tours. He will continue to play on till he feels he can't hold the bat anymore.

Its clear to anyone that he does not care for the future of Pakistan cricket. At this point on he is only playing for himself.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stay until you are 50 Misbah - after all age doesn't matter and it's all about fitness. Chairman Khan should stay on too then perhaps the PCB could have a 90 year old chairman and a 50 year old captain.

Misbah barely put a foot wrong in all his years as captain when it came to how he conducted himself and is a true gem of a player however what he's doing now is baffling.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    933 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'm not surprised.

IU will do poorly and expect the same from misbah, so let's see whether the hierarchy do something or nothing.

I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    There is one twist in the tale. PCB leadership is always determined by the government of the day, Pakistan is expected to have elections in 2018 (if Nawaz gets disqualified we may even have elections in last quarter of 2017). With Nawaz's disqualification there is a high chance the PML-N is severely dented in the elections and may not be able to form government in the center which means immediate termination of Shahryar and Sethi.

Hopefully the incoming government appoints competent people that reform the PCB. Which may mean some harsh (but desperately needed) decisions would be taken.
    This not a political thread but only Imran;s government will be able to drop Misbah, hope he wins.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What if we win the West Indies series?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1040 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    In May 2018 there are two Tests in England on early-season greentops.

Misbah and Younis would both be sitting ducks as batsmen.

For those specific conditions - just 15 months away - Pakistan will probably need to look something like this......

1. Azhar Ali
    2. Sami Aslam
    3. Babar Azam
    4. Asad Shafiq
    5. Umar Akmal
    6. Sarfraz Ahmed
    7. Hammad Azam or Aamer Yamir
    8. Mohammad Nawaz
    9. Hasan Ali
    10. Mohammad Amir (capt)
    11. Ghulam Mudassar

The only real question is whether you bring back Mohammad Asif for those two Tests, given that we know that they will be low-scoring 60 over innings matches because of the season.

I certainly can't see how Misbah could be selected, unless he wants to wipe out the memory of drawing in England 21 months earlier.
    Last edited by Abdul; 4th February 2017 at 05:09.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Nothing changes - PCB believes or at least try to sell the idea that there is none available to replace Misbah - so, if PAK wins the series than it'll be considered that ANZ tour was just a hiccup - things are steady now & this stability should continue. Also, in this team there few senior beneficiaries, who'll put their full weight behind Misbah, because that keeps them comfortable & stable as well.

The fundamental logic is flawed - a player to decide when he wants to retire. Business usual should have been Misbah to be sacked for his Captaincy, not necessarily he has to retire - selectors are there to judge his performance as a player & if he is among top 3 middle orders available, he can carry till 2020, who cares? But, his Captaincy definitely demands a sacking as Captain.

As a player, in last 5/6 Tests; Misbah had been out few times attempting his signature shot - caught at line trying to clear long hops mostly from spinners, which tells me that he is finished as a batsman - Inzi knows that much better than me, because he is Inzamam ul Haq, not Iqbal Qasim; but may be he'll explain it differently, after a chat with Misbah & SK.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it gets worse for Pakistan looking at the future perspective, gets gold for old mafia that should have been sacked not only from the team but from the PCB chairs too. Next series are against Sri Lanka at UAE in September and then we face Bangladesh which buys this old mafia time to stay another two years. because we will have our away cycle in the 2018 and we will see the repeat of events happened in NZ and Australia..and promising careers of some youngsters are blocked for another 2 years.
    Last edited by MRSN; 4th February 2017 at 03:55.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This business that it's 'up to Misbah' whether he wants to play or not – that's rubbish - it's up to the selectors," Chappell said.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

farewell+ a position in the PCB. This guy is the same who threatened to burn his kit for not getting selected in the team. oh gentleman.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah is doing something similar to what Afridi did in the past after the t20 WC 2016.. then why is Afridi being hated for asking for a farewell match?

Didn't expect this from Misbah, or he has realized like Afridi, that he has no replacement ready..

I feel it is Misbah's fault for not finding a replacement for himself.. someone like Fawad Alam was ousted from the squad who could've been a decent middle order batsman..

In the end players are selfish when it comes to their retirement..

Problem is Misbah only recently started getting immensely respected in Pakistan and abroad for reaching no.1 despite not playing a Test Match at home... to be going from that, to dropping down to no.6, I feel its a drastic change in six months, the guy is becoming the villain now, after being the nations hero (richly deserved)..

His age was a talking point even when he was selected captain as a 36 year old (question marks were raised)... I think he doesnot like talking about his age.. its a very sensitive issue for him, and when criticized for that he wants to prove everyone wrong...

Misbah of the past also never indulged in press conferences, or lashed out at ex-cricketers.. Misbah in his past interview with Wajahat S Khan said criticism never affected him because he wanted to 'prove everyone wrong!' He said he wanted to train, he wanted to become a better cricketer, that was his passion, it didn't bother him because he knew he could deliver..

Now Misbah is doing the same stuff, he avoided doing in the past, since according to him his priorities were different from other cricketers.. it just shows how internally unsatisfied he is with himself, and would regret it all his life if he retired at this point, bringing the team down to no.6 from no.1. It also goes to show the criticism has affected him this time.

Misbah has to realize he can't go on forever

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1040 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    @waleed88

The problem for Misbah - and I agree with Mickey Arthur here - is that the way forward in Test cricket is 5 batsmen plus a batting all-rounder in the Top Six.

Misbah isn't good enough to be selected in that model. You have Younis Khan - hopefully for one more series only - but then Azhar Ali, Sami Aslam, Babar Azam and Asad Shafiq.

There literally is no way to fit Misbah into the team without messing up the balance of the side.

It's not a matter of there being no replacement. The role of a sixth batsman is one that the team doesn't need and indeed has lost 7 Tests out of 9 outside Asia in 6 months because of. It exhausts the bowlers.

There is every indication that Misbah is trying to cling on to the captaincy, and Inzamam doesn't appear to have the guts to drop him.

But Misbah's very presence in the team unbalances it. And his captaincy is simply unspeakable. He does the diplomatic duties well, but this is a man who opened the bowling in the Sydney Test with Yasir Shah.

It's over, and influential observers like Ian Chappell show no respect or deference to Misbah. In the space of 6 months he made the transition from Elder Statesman to Elderly Laughing Stock.

I understand that he thinks that he can restore his reputation in the West Indies. But the problem is, he is a burden on the team and can only damage it.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    Misbah is doing something similar to what Afridi did in the past after the t20 WC 2016.. then why is Afridi being hated for asking for a farewell match?

Didn't expect this from Misbah, or he has realized like Afridi, that he has no replacement ready..

I feel it is Misbah's fault for not finding a replacement for himself.. someone like Fawad Alam was ousted from the squad who could've been a decent middle order batsman..

In the end players are selfish when it comes to their retirement..

Problem is Misbah only recently started getting immensely respected in Pakistan and abroad for reaching no.1 despite not playing a Test Match at home... to be going from that, to dropping down to no.6, I feel its a drastic change in six months, the guy is becoming the villain now, after being the nations hero (richly deserved)..

His age was a talking point even when he was selected captain as a 36 year old (question marks were raised)... I think he doesnot like talking about his age.. its a very sensitive issue for him, and when criticized for that he wants to prove everyone wrong...

Misbah of the past also never indulged in press conferences, or lashed out at ex-cricketers.. Misbah in his past interview with Wajahat S Khan said criticism never affected him because he wanted to 'prove everyone wrong!' He said he wanted to train, he wanted to become a better cricketer, that was his passion, it didn't bother him because he knew he could deliver..

Now Misbah is doing the same stuff, he avoided doing in the past, since according to him his priorities were different from other cricketers.. it just shows how internally unsatisfied he is with himself, and would regret it all his life if he retired at this point, bringing the team down to no.6 from no.1. It also goes to show the criticism has affected him this time.

Misbah has to realize he can't go on forever
    Do you remember the tour to Zimbabwe in 2013? When selectors,fans and pundits wanted him and senior players like YK and Ajmal to rest? and what was his reply after winning first game?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I should make my point clearer...India would destroy England,Australia without Kohli leading or MS Dhoni captaining, Mathews would achieve same results with his rookie team who got demolished in SA...hence Pakistan would still be able to get the same results in UAE...so what's the fun? Misbah or no Misbah. Pakistan would have whitewashed England,Australia in UAE. There is no rocket science here. There is no Misbah legacy. Misbah should instead be thanking Ajmal,Yasir and Baber for giving him these results instead of using these trophies to manipulate his place and position in the side despite being a passenger.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1040 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericBrand View Post
    Maybe he's expecting to cash in hard against a hapless WI and retire on a high, shrewd thinking.
    He lost a Test to them in the UAE. Wishful thinking more like!

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you remember the tour to Zimbabwe in 2013? When selectors,fans and pundits wanted him and senior players like YK and Ajmal to rest? and what was his reply after winning first game?
    He said we need seniors in the side to win games, youngsters will only lose us more games.. something along those lines

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nothing changes - PCB believes or at least try to sell the idea that there is none available to replace Misbah - so, if PAK wins the series than it'll be considered that ANZ tour was just a hiccup - things are steady now & this stability should continue. Also, in this team there few senior beneficiaries, who'll put their full weight behind Misbah, because that keeps them comfortable & stable as well.

The fundamental logic is flawed - a player to decide when he wants to retire. Business usual should have been Misbah to be sacked for his Captaincy, not necessarily he has to retire - selectors are there to judge his performance as a player & if he is among top 3 middle orders available, he can carry till 2020, who cares? But, his Captaincy definitely demands a sacking as Captain.

As a player, in last 5/6 Tests; Misbah had been out few times attempting his signature shot - caught at line trying to clear long hops mostly from spinners, which tells me that he is finished as a batsman - Inzi knows that much better than me, because he is Inzamam ul Haq, not Iqbal Qasim; but may be he'll explain it differently, after a chat with Misbah & SK.

Lol this sounds exactly how the pcb will think. Misbah is only going to hurt his legacy by continuing.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He said we need seniors in the side to win games, youngsters will only lose us more games.. something along those lines
    well you have your answer. Selectors back in 2013 were quite serious about finding replacements of yk,Misbah and Ajmal so they offered them rest which they refused lead by Misbah..in Pakistan when there are 2-3 senior players and rest are young , it's very complicated to handle those senior players because they have so much powers,more powers than the selectors. If Misbah was really the gentleman as people loud him to be he would have not only rested himself but asked YK and Ajmal to rest as well. But fact we know Misbah always took his seniors with him to the tours like Zim,BD,Ireland when he should have been resting along with those players and allowed young players a chance to show their skills.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    In May 2018 there are two Tests in England on early-season greentops.

Misbah and Younis would both be sitting ducks as batsmen.

For those specific conditions - just 15 months away - Pakistan will probably need to look something like this......

1. Azhar Ali
    2. Sami Aslam
    3. Babar Azam
    4. Asad Shafiq
    5. Umar Akmal
    6. Sarfraz Ahmed
    7. Hammad Azam or Aamer Yamir
    8. Mohammad Nawaz
    9. Hasan Ali
    10. Mohammad Amir (capt)
    11. Ghulam Mudassar

The only real question is whether you bring back Mohammad Asif for those two Tests, given that we know that they will be low-scoring 60 over innings matches because of the season.

I certainly can't see how Misbah could be selected, unless he wants to wipe out the memory of drawing in England 21 months earlier.

Agree misbah and younis will be useless on that tour in 2018.

I would have Harris Sohail in place of Umar Akmal provided he proves his fitness. The rest of your team is actually good.

No point in bringing Asif back for 2 games. I don't think pcb will select him again

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it gets worse for Pakistan looking at the future perspective, gets gold for old mafia that should have been sacked not only from the team but from the PCB chairs too. Next series are against Sri Lanka at UAE in September and then we face Bangladesh which buys this old mafia time to stay another two years. because we will have our away cycle in the 2018 and we will see the repeat of events happened in NZ and Australia..and promising careers of some youngsters are blocked for another 2 years.

That is my worst nightmare. Don't think Misbah and Younis will be able to score in England in the early summer with the cloud and swing and seam on offer for the bowlers.

In uae and subcontinent they can which will persuade pcb and inzi to stick with them.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well you have your answer. Selectors back in 2013 were quite serious about finding replacements of yk,Misbah and Ajmal so they offered them rest which they refused lead by Misbah..in Pakistan when there are 2-3 senior players and rest are young , it's very complicated to handle those senior players because they have so much powers,more powers than the selectors. If Misbah was really the gentleman as people loud him to be he would have not only rested himself but asked YK and Ajmal to rest as well. But fact we know Misbah always took his seniors with him to the tours like Zim,BD,Ireland when he should have been resting along with those players and allowed young players a chance to show their skills.
    Haha beautiful, you are only saying this because Malik and Akmal were flop shows under his captaincy, whereas YK ceased to be a player in the ODI side after SA 2012-13 tour in his captaincy but was later retained due to public pressure before WC.

Umar Akmal was not selected for CT 2013, and Afridi was dropped as well because of attitude problems.. (Umar has a history of those problems and being a senior pro of more than 4 years of ODI experience he was as inconsistent as well), Umar Akmal came back and gave a few performances as Wicket keeper, until he outburst again under Waqar and Misbah's captaincy... for which he was rightfull dropped again..

However it would be a gross injustice to even call Umar Akmal a youngster then (4 years of more experiene isn't a youngster lol)

Considering the number of youngsters Misbah has tried under his captaincy, I doubt anyone will ask his bias for not selecting youngsters.. he gave everyone a chance from Haris Sohail, to Umar Amin, to Hammad Azam, Nasir Jamshed, Sharjeel.. none of them can put in 3 consistent performances, best of the lot was probably Shehzad and Maqsood who were retained for the WC 2015 but dropped after that

Those were days the team couldn't put up a half decent score, and Misbah was always around to steady the ship with a score of 25-3, 30-5, 121-9 etc
    Last edited by waleed88; 4th February 2017 at 11:22.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh we will not do some thing for the future. WI and Bangladesh series are on softer side. Can build a new captain if provided these series. If still he is compulsory for the team, make him available as a player and let the new captain led the team.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haha beautiful, you are only saying this because Malik and Akmal were flop shows under his captaincy, whereas YK ceased to be a player in the ODI side after SA 2012-13 tour in his captaincy but was later retained due to public pressure before WC.

Umar Akmal was not selected for CT 2013, and Afridi was dropped as well because of attitude problems.. (Umar has a history of those problems and being a senior pro of more than 4 years of ODI experience he was as inconsistent as well), Umar Akmal came back and gave a few performances as Wicket keeper, until he outburst again under Waqar and Misbah's captaincy... for which he was rightfull dropped again..

However it would be a gross injustice to even call Umar Akmal a youngster then (4 years of more experiene isn't a youngster lol)

Considering the number of youngsters Misbah has tried under his captaincy, I doubt anyone will ask his bias for not selecting youngsters.. he gave everyone a chance from Haris Sohail, to Umar Amin, to Hammad Azam, Nasir Jamshed, Sharjeel.. none of them can put in 3 consistent performances, best of the lot was probably Shehzad and Maqsood who were retained for the WC 2015 but dropped after that

Those were days the team couldn't put up a half decent score, and Misbah was always around to steady the ship with a score of 25-3, 30-5, 121-9 etc
    how many times Umar Amin made comeback to the side for 1-2 games under Misbah and then thrown out of the team despite all his efforts in the domestic cricket.. Was one of the top leading run scorers when he was last time picked and he got only one ODI and got dropped.

What about Harris Sohail? The way he was batted on his first tour in WI? The guy was a middle order batsman and Misbah pushed him to 7. Why was Harris dropped first time?
    What about Baber Azam? dropped without getting a game.

Umar Akmal is a clearly different case. I remember when Umar Akmal had 2 50s in his last 3 innings, he was benched in the series not for any Tendulkers but for Asad Shafiq and Younis Khan. The way Umar Akmal was dropped against Zim in tests was also highly controversial. He was returning from a very successful comeback against West Indies but a very unlucky dismissal against Zimbabwe put an end to his career for the crimes he committed before making his comeback.
    That's quite the justice Misbah did to the youngsters. Really loved your points. thanks.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how many times Umar Amin made comeback to the side for 1-2 games under Misbah and then thrown out of the team despite all his efforts in the domestic cricket.. Was one of the top leading run scorers when he was last time picked and he got only one ODI and got dropped.

What about Harris Sohail? The way he was batted on his first tour in WI? The guy was a middle order batsman and Misbah pushed him to 7. Why was Harris dropped first time?

Umar Akmal is a clearly different case. I remember when Umar Akmal had 2 50s in his last 3 innings, he was benched in the series not for any Tendulkers but for Asad Shafiq and Younis Khan. The way Umar Akmal was dropped against Zim in tests was also highly controversial. He was returning from a very successful comeback against West Indies but a very unlucky dismissal against Zimbabwe put an end to his career for the crimes he committed before making his comeback.
    That's quite the justice Misbah did to the youngsters. Really loved your points. thanks.
    Haris Sohail batted at no.5-6 and in 3 games, he made only a handful of runs his highest being a 20ish in a run chase...

Umar Amin apparently was even in the test squad, after scoring a blistering knock vs WI in a t20 game.. however he was a string of games vs SA.. all 5 in the home series ODI matches in the UAE in which he failed, and atleast 2 in the series vs SA in their home in 2013.. not only that Umar Amin failed against Zimbabwe as well..

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy has played a 100 games and cannot even pace an innings, we are in the year 2017, if he hasn't learnt anything in this day and age what do you expect him to do in 2013? He is/always was a slogger.. Misbah got that right about him, he is no use to the side besides in the last 5-8 overs where he can take the match away, WC 2015 is an example of when he has too many overs to bat he still gets out in the same fashion

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    Stay until you are 50 Misbah - after all age doesn't matter and it's all about fitness. Chairman Khan should stay on too then perhaps the PCB could have a 90 year old chairman and a 50 year old captain.

Misbah barely put a foot wrong in all his years as captain when it came to how he conducted himself and is a true gem of a player however what he's doing now is baffling.
    From being a top quality poster to now being reduced to a WUM is a sad decline.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Misbah is turning into Afridi. Sad to see it happening.

At this stage, Pakistan can't afford to carry both Misbah and Younis in the team. Younis is still a better batsman so Misbah has to go NOW.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since when a player (employee) can decide when to retire? Hafeez, Malik, Afridi, Ajmal, Sami, Younis, Kamran, Razzak... all should be given fare chances

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Since when a player (employee) can decide when to retire? Hafeez, Malik, Afridi, Ajmal, Sami, Younis, Kamran, Razzak... all should be given fare chances
    They are not "gentlemen"..